Eh...this works. For now.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2011, 07:03 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Chiefs-bag-Kelly-Gregg.html

SWEET!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2d2dpb9.jpg

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Guy is one of the best run stopping NT's in the entire league. 100x better than Ron Edwards.

I'm a huge fan of this signing.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Alright. That's good. Someone needs to get the scoop on Franklin though. Did this guy completely shit the bed during the offseason or what?

BigVE
07-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Guy is one of the best run stopping NT's in the entire league. 100x better than Ron Edwards.

I totally agree. It's a "for now" signing though it seems. One year deal (which is not uncommon) makes me wonder if they are still shopping around for what they feel is a long term answer at NT.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Alright. That's good. Someone needs to get the scoop on Franklin though. Did this guy completely shit the bed during the offseason or what?

From what I'm told, Chiefs were very interested in Franklin. However, he is coming off a franchise tag'd year where he made close to 8 million.

He is still asking for a deal in the neighborhood of 3 years, 24 mill. Chiefs view Powe as someone who could grow into the position and did not want to tie up that money.

RustShack
07-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I totally agree. It's a "for now" signing though it seems. One year deal (which is not uncommon) makes me wonder if they are still shopping around for what they feel is a long term answer at NT.

They drafted a long term answer at NT...

BigVE
07-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Maybe so. I hope so.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:09 AM

They think Powe can grow into it. Gregg will be a great mentor.

Guy is durable - missed a full season once in 2008, but outside of that, he's only missed 4 games since 2002.

Gregg absolutely shitbeat our offensive line in that playoff game. It will be nice having a big time run stopper in the middle.

He can also recruit McClain.

warrior
07-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Ok --its an up-grade. :thumb:

philfree
07-30-2011, 07:12 AM
If we'd sign Ty Warren we'll up graded both positions that we lost players to free agency yesterday. Sign Warren!

Bwana
07-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Great move IMHO.

milkman
07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
This is exactly the kind of signing I was looking for.

A short term stop gap.

Good deal.

BryanBusby
07-30-2011, 07:22 AM
If he has anything left in the tank by now, not a bad move.

WhitiE
07-30-2011, 07:23 AM
sweet

Marco Polo
07-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

okcchief
07-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Holy shit!

This is who I wanted when I saw him get released. Great signing!

Rausch
07-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Hell, even at 35 he's going to be better than Edwards. Probably anyone else we had last year.

He slows down or sucks baows as the season goes on at least we've had some time for the rook to catch on a little. I wouldn't want a long term deal but for 1 year it's a damned good signing.

Still like to add one more body there though...

Marco Polo
07-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Pushead2
07-30-2011, 07:30 AM
nice

Fritz88
07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
One year.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
07-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Hell, even at 35 he's going to be better than Edwards. Probably anyone else we had last year.

He slows down or sucks baows as the season goes on at least we've had some time for the rook to catch on a little. I wouldn't want a long term deal but for 1 year it's a damned good signing.

Still like to add one more body there though...I agree with all of that that.

I don't think Gregg, by himself, is enough, but I do think he'll be an upgrade on Edwards.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Dorsey next to Gregg is gonna be pretty nice.

keg in kc
07-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Speaking of Dorsey, hopefully this ends the Dorsey at tackle in the base 3-4 talk.

philfree
07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
I agree with all of that that.

I don't think Gregg, by himself, is enough, but I do think he'll be an upgrade on Edwards.

How many NTs do you think we'll carry? I don't think we'll carry more then three. Isn't that the norm for a 3-4 team?

Bwana
07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
I agree with all of that that.

I agree with this as well. We could still use at least one more rotation guy in the mix.

keg in kc
07-30-2011, 07:39 AM
How many NTs do you think we'll carry? I don't think we'll carry more then three. Isn't that the norm for a 3-4 team?Not sure.

I'm not saying they need to bring in Franklin. Just that I think the Shaun Smith role from '10 is still empty. Flex guy who can fill in across the line. Valuable roster spot I think.

Although who knows, they might think a lot more of Toribio than I do.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
I agree with this as well. We could still use at least one more rotation guy in the mix.

I don't think we need one.

How many NT's do you realistically need? They dropped Gilberry inside a lot last year and apparently plan to do the same with Bailey on passing downs.

We lost 2 NT's and added 2.

Gregg is by far the best NT we've had in a long time.

Stout, strong as a bull mother fucker who gets great leverage and takes on blockers.

Quesadilla Joe
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
He is definitely better than anybody you guys had at NT last year. He is a solid player like Justin Bannon

QuikSsurfer
07-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Great signing!

red&yellow
07-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Oh wow.

DaKCMan AP
07-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Awesome.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Didn't Gregg play some end in Baltimore? We might still be in the Franklin chase.

red&yellow
07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Didn't Gregg play some end in Baltimore? We might still be in the Franklin chase.

So is this Shaun Smith part two? One year deal, shiftable D Line player, seems familiar. Can he slam the ball in the endzone too?

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:54 AM
He is definitely better than anybody you guys had at NT last year. He is a solid player like Justin Bannon

Bannon couldn't shine Gregg's dick.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Knowmo sure can polish Bannon's like no other though.

DTLB58
07-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Anyone who has 9 years expirence playing NT in the Ravens D is good for me. :thumb:

BryanBusby
07-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Wouldn't count on it.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Excellent short-term signing. I'm wondering if this means we're no longer in the market for Aubrayo Franklin's services? Would be nice to have another utility guy for the rotation. Someone like Jamaal Anderson, but I'm VERY happy with this.

ReynardMuldrake
07-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Do you have some kind of mental disorder that requires you to mention Denver in every single post? Do you talk like that in real life?

"Yeah, my mom went down to the store to get some milk. She got the good stuff. Not John Elway good, but it was some damn fine milk."

"I'd like a double cheeseburger with a coke, please. Could I get some extra cheese on that? I like my burgers cheesier than Tim Tebow's vagina."

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-30-2011, 08:06 AM
lol we signed a wash up gregg nice job scott

Bwana
07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Do you have some kind of mental disorder that requires you to mention Denver in every single post? "

Well yeah.....

Priest31kc
07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I like it....He's 34, how was his play last year?

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 08:09 AM
lol we signed a wash up gregg nice job scott

You know, at first I applauded your efforts with the Twitter updates, but it's become more apparent that you know just about next to nothing about football.

Gregg completely kicked the shit out of the Chiefs in the playoff game.

You are probably pissed we didn't sign Franklin to a 5 year deal, right? The 31 year old who has had about 2 good seasons in his life.

Gregg is the perfect fit for this defense. No risk signing for a guy who will tremendously help our run D.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
I like it....He's 34, how was his play last year?

His play has been consistent the last 10 years. He's a space eater that's next to impossible to push off the line.

He's short and strong as a mother.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Do you have some kind of mental disorder that requires you to mention Denver in every single post? Do you talk like that in real life?

"Yeah, my mom went down to the store to get some milk. She got the good stuff. Not John Elway good, but it was some damn fine milk."

"I'd like a double cheeseburger with a coke, please. Could I get some extra cheese on that? I like my burgers cheesier than Tim Tebow's vagina."

LMAO That's pretty good. The cottage cheese is Brandon Marshall spoiled.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I think we have high hopes for Powe

milkman
07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
"Yeah, my mom went down to the store to get some milk."

So, you're saying he posts here because his mother got some of me?

Priest31kc
07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
His play has been consistent the last 10 years. He's a space eater that's next to impossible to push off the line.

He's short and strong as a mother.

Thanks....cant wait to see him and Powe clog up the middle. Gregg will be a great mentor for him.

BigChiefFan
07-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm glad they addressed the issue at NT, but we'll be right back in the same boat next year. NT should have been a priority from day one. I can't believe a 3-4 team is dicking around this much with the NT.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm glad they addressed the issue at NT, but we'll be right back in the same boat next year. NT should have been a priority from day one. I can't believe a 3-4 team is dicking around this much with the NT.

It's smart not to invest multiple years to Franklin.

The reason the 49ers let him go was because they feared he's a contract year guy, according to their beat writer on Sirius.

Guess the rest of the league have those same concerns.

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 08:16 AM
solid signing

proven vet from one of the best 3-4's in the league...guy is a warrior

he's slipped a bit, most ravens boards i checked don't seem to care he's gone but that's because they have cody

but he's better than edwards, little doubt of that....kind of the wiegmann of the DL, with Hudson and Powe in waiting

fug, at this point I want Warren more than Franklin...

*edit

even if his physical skills were a wash with Edwards at this point (which i don't believe), I always thought edwards was a %$#@! and Gregg is not a @#$%!...it gives our D some real mental toughness...this guy has been through the wars w/ Pitt for a decade

TheGuardian
07-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Solid signing.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 08:21 AM
lol we signed a wash up gregg nice job scottKill yourself. If you don't see the value in this signing, you're a fucking moron.

The Franchise
07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
I dig it. It gives us a chance to see what Powe has. I'd be interested to see what the contract looks like.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Wouldn't mind having Ty Warren too.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Absolutely.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Meh. Good signing, but this is putting an awful lot of faith in Powe to be the Nose Tackle of the future. If Powe is okay then the Chiefs have to go through this whole Nose Tackle desperation drill all over again.

I would have much rather have had a younger Franklin and have the assurance that even if Powe doesn't work out, we don't have to go into desperation mode in 2012. But Gregg for the one year is going to be a better player than Franklin. I'll give you that.

LOCOChief
07-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Awesome Couldn't have played out much better.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Yup Dorsey, Gregg, and Warren would be a very solid front

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 08:28 AM
signing Warren, assuming his hip isn't a long term issue, would basically make up for drafting jackson

pre-injury Warren would be the best player on our DL, or just slightly behind Dorsey

BigChiefFan
07-30-2011, 08:28 AM
It's smart not to invest multiple years to Franklin.

The reason the 49ers let him go was because they feared he's a contract year guy, according to their beat writer on Sirius.

Guess the rest of the league have those same concerns.

I agree, but I am also talking about the draft. I can't believe a 3-4 team would wait until the 7th round to address one of the most important positions on the field. I like Gregg, he's a SOONER, so I know alot about him and watched him many a years. He's one of the better NTs in the game. A 1 year deal doesn't do any more than putting a band-aid on a major issue for the team. I like Gregg, just prefer to see a more permenant solution.

RedThat
07-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I like it. He has always been a good run defender throughout his career.

Pasta Little Brioni
Meh. Good signing, but this is putting an awful lot of faith in Powe to be the Nose Tackle of the future. If Powe is okay then the Chiefs have to go through this whole Nose Tackle desperation drill all over again.

I would have much rather have had a younger Franklin and have the assurance that even if Powe doesn't work out, we don't have to go into desperation mode in 2012. But Gregg for the one year is going to be a better player than Franklin. I'll give you that.

That is where having confidence in your organization's player development ability come in to play. With the progression alot of our young guy's have shown who can blame them?

The Franchise

This. Especially because we lost Smith.

threebag
07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
So, you're saying he posts here because his mother got some of me?

Ya, he's just coming for the rest of it.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I'd be interested to see what the contract looks like.Paper, with letters and numbers.

:)

ModSocks
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
BTW, how has this been confirmed?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Ty Warren wants to play in Texas. He's going to cost us. While I, and many of you would throw some extra coin at him to get him. I'm not sure Pioli will overpay anyone. JMO.

chiefzilla1501
I agree, but I am also talking about the draft. I can't believe a 3-4 team would wait until the 7th round to address one of the most important positions on the field. I like Gregg, he's a SOONER, so I know alot about him and watched him many a years. He's one of the better NTs in the game. A 1 year deal doesn't do any more than putting a band-aid on a major issue for the team. I like Gregg, just prefer to see a more permenant solution.

I agree, and I guess you can still lock him up to another 1-year deal if you want to next year.

I don't buy into the BS that Franklin couldn't be locked up for more money. If the Chiefs wanted to, they could have given him an extremely front-loaded contract where he saw a big roster bonus and a lot of money in year 1 and he would have gladly taken it. And then this time next year, we know for sure we wouldn't have to make desperation moves to secure ourselves at the position.

But again, it's a good move (assuming that the only reason the Ravens didn't re-sign him is because this was purely Gregg's decision, because other thing is, Newsome knows when to let players go).

Fish
Born in Wichita. That's cool.

Big ugly sumbitch that's for sure.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure Pioli will overpay anyone. JMO.So, you're saying Cassel is underpaid? :)

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
signing Warren, assuming his hip isn't a long term issue, would basically make up for drafting jackson

pre-injury Warren would be the best player on our DL, or just slightly behind Dorsey

While true, I'd still rather see what Jackson's got. It's not like he was playing poorly to end the season or that he's a liability. I don't like the idea of putting Dorsey/Jackson/Warren money into securing the 5-technique, one of the less important positions on the defense. Jackson doesn't have the upside of Warren, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't turn into a solid but unspectacular starter. Which I'm fine with at that position. If he struggles, Bailey is a nice option to groom.

I'd rather spend Ty Warren money on making sure we lock up the two Brandons, Hali, and eventually Bowe.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Ty Warren wants to play in Texas. He's going to cost us. While I, and many of you would throw some extra coin at him to get him. I'm not sure Pioli will overpay anyone. JMO.

I agree, and I guess you can still lock him up to another 1-year deal if you want to next year.

I don't buy into the BS that Franklin couldn't be locked up for more money. If the Chiefs wanted to, they could have given him an extremely front-loaded contract where he saw a big roster bonus and a lot of money in year 1 and he would have gladly taken it. And then this time next year, we know for sure we wouldn't have to make desperation moves to secure ourselves at the position.

But again, it's a good move (assuming that the only reason the Ravens didn't re-sign him is because this was purely Gregg's decision, because other thing is, Newsome knows when to let players go).

This is actually why I don't see us even remotely sniffing Warren. We have tons of money to front load a deal to bring Franklin in. We didn't. That's fine, I s'pose, but let's not pretend that Pioli is going to overpay Warren. Apparently he's setting that tone with Franklin.

I guess we can always hope the Patriots connection nets a paycheck. I'd LOVE to see us bring him in, but I have a feeling it's going to be 2nd tier free agents the whole way through.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
So, you're saying Cassel is underpaid? :)

Him and Tyson Jackson both.

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 08:44 AM
While true, I'd still rather see what Jackson's got. It's not like he was playing poorly to end the season or that he's a liability. I don't like the idea of putting Dorsey/Jackson/Warren money into securing the 5-technique, one of the less important positions on the defense. Jackson doesn't have the upside of Warren, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't turn into a solid but unspectacular starter. Which I'm fine with at that position. If he struggles, Bailey is a nice option to groom.

I'd rather spend Ty Warren money on making sure we lock up the two Brandons, Hali, and eventually Bowe.

Warren isn't going to get a giant contract...he's a camp cut 3-4 DE coming off a missed season...and he is so much better than Jackson it isn't even worth discussing (assuming his hip isn't screwed)

and I'm fine with Jackson as a rotation guy...i haven't seen jack shit from him to convince he has the desire to be an ass kicking starter....frankly, i think he is a big %#%#! just like edwards

if he proves me wrong, great...

Rausch
07-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Him and Tyson Jackson both.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 08:47 AM
:spock:LMAO

Rausch
07-30-2011, 08:47 AM
While true, I'd still rather see what Jackson's got.

So far next to nothing.

If we could manage even a 5th and move on I'd do so tomorrow...

chiefscafan
07-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Hmmm not sure what to think about Gregg signing. Of course I wanted Franklin and what someone said on here newsome seems to let go of players once they are on the down swing. So I'm afraid Gregg maybe washed up. But I do remember there DT s killing our interrior and it wasn't Cody or nagatta it was Gregg. Now I'm a Bama fan as most of you know so I've seen powe play he's gonna be good if he can keep motivated and the weight down. I personally think if there is no lockout we start powe from day one. They are gonna give him time to learn and Gregg is a great mentor.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Hmmm not sure what to think about Gregg signing. Of course I wanted Franklin and what someone said on here newsome seems to let go of players once they are on the down swing. So I'm afraid Gregg maybe washed up. But I do remember there DT s killing our interrior at it wasn't Cody or nagatta it was Gregg. Now I'm a Bama fan as most of you know so I've seen powe play he's gonna be good if he can keep motivated and the weight down. I personally think if there is no lockout we start powe from day one. They are gonna give him time to learn and Gregg is a great mentor.

Where would you have taken Powe in the mock?

Deberg_1990
07-30-2011, 08:51 AM
I like this move. Huge space eater to free up Dorsey, tyjack and Hali to wreak havoc.

Priest31kc
07-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Is Kelly Gregg A Step Backwards From Ron Edwards?

AUTHOR: Patrick Allen

The Kansas City Chiefs let a younger Ron Edwards leave in free agency and instead signed veteran Kelly Greg to a one-year deal.
But was it the right move?
I decided to look at the stats and grades over at Pro Football Focus to find out just how they viewed Gregg’s play last year and how it compared to what Ron Edwards did for the Chiefs.I will also compare him the man most KC fans wanted the Chiefs to sign to play NT, Aubrayo Franklin.

The results after the jump.

Snaps
Gregg:466
Franklin: 579
Edwards: 471
Sacks
Gregg: 0
Franklin: 0
Edwards: 2
QB Pressures
Gregg: 7
Franklin: 5
Edwards: 4
Stops
(tackles that caused an offensive failure, including sacks)
Gregg: 13
Franklin: 37
Edwards:14
Overall Grade
Gregg: -0.8
Franklin: +15.5
Edwards:+5.0
Pass Rush Grade
Gregg: -5.6
Franklin: -9.0
Edwards:-1.8
Run Grade
Gregg: +4.5
Franklin: +24.3
Edwards:+4.7

It looks to me like Kelly Gregg is Ron Edwards II. Their numbers are very similar. Neither is particularly good at rushing the passer, although Ggg was actually really bad at it last year which is why he ended up with such a poor overall grade. Both are only adequate at stopping the run. Looking at the numbers from PFF, it seems to indicate you would be better off with Edwards. He is also a couple years younger.
The guy you really want here, however, is Franklin. He is the worst of the three at rushing the passer but he is a ridiculous run stuffer. Rushing the passer isn’t his game and really, isn’t the goal of a NT anyway. A handful of sacks would be nice but what you really want in a nose is a guy who can clog the running lane and allow your linebackers to get the glory.

Now that you have seen some numbers, what do you think Addicts? Obviously Franklin was the prize but it appears as though the Chiefs may not be interested or willing to pay him. Should they have kept Edwards over Gregg?

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2011/07/30/is-kelly-gregg-is-a-step-backwards-from-ron-edwards/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 08:57 AM
gregg is cheaper, and imo meaner than edwards

easy call

philfree
07-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I think Gregg and Warren would be great vets for our young players to learn from. Jackson is till fairly young and our NTs are young and playing with seasoned vets with tons of playoff experience can only help them. And they're still good players.

beer bacon
07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I still want Franklin, and I don't think three years 24 million is unreasonable at all. He is the 3-4 NT in FA, and that is a premium position in the NFL. 3-4 teams NEED a good NT if they want to succeed. It is all well and good to groom a late round draft pick for the position and to sign an old, washed up guy as the backup, but we need a quality starter right now. The next couple seasons will only go so far if we don't find one.

Direckshun
07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I've written extensively that I did not want this signing to happen.

Gregg is absolutely done. His play was awful last year, and was saved only because he was playing next to Haloti Ngata.

Ugh.

This is the first move of the offseason I have not liked (well, that and not getting enough UDFAs).

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 09:05 AM
I've written extensively that I did not want this signing to happen.

Gregg is absolutely done. His play was awful last year, and was saved only because he was playing next to Haloti Ngata.

Ugh.

This is the first move of the offseason I have not liked (well, that and not getting enough UDFAs).lol wut

DJ's left nut
07-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Eh, little underwhelmed.

I understand there were some red flags around Franklin, I really do. I know he was a risk and had bust potential.

However, he also had the ability to be truly elite. Gregg is what he is - a slightly better version of Ron Edwards. Our defense is a little better with this, but still only marginally so.

I think we took the "Cassel/Jackson" way out here. We took the much safer player with a higher floor but much lower ceiling. I guess I'm not completely opposed to that, but I don't think you become a championship caliber team by doing that (you become the 90's era Chiefs).

Pioli's establishing a track record of going with safer choices and not taking HR swings. That's great to a point, but I really wish he'd grab his balls and take a chance. The NT position would've been a great spot to do just that.

I'm fine with the signing, but still a little disappointed in Pioli for refusing to take the chance on the significantly higher upside player.

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 09:07 AM
i'm not convinced this means we aren't still looking at franklin

tk13
07-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Seems like a good move to me, certainly better than what we have for now. I'm sure Pioli sees it like a Ted Washington signing. He was a 35 year old with 12 years experience when the Patriots signed him to play NT.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Eh, little underwhelmed.

I understand there were some red flags around Franklin, I really do. I know he was a risk and had bust potential.

However, he also had the ability to be truly elite. Gregg is what he is - a slightly better version of Ron Edwards. Our defense is a little better with this, but still only marginally so.

I think we took the "Cassel/Jackson" way out here. We took the much safer player with a higher floor but much lower ceiling. I guess I'm not completely opposed to that, but I don't think you become a championship caliber team by doing that (you become the 90's era Chiefs).

Pioli's establishing a track record of going with safer choices and not taking HR swings. That's great to a point, but I really wish he'd grab his balls and take a chance. The NT position would've been a great spot to do just that.

I'm fine with the signing, but still a little disappointed in Pioli for refusing to take the chance on the significantly higher upside player.

So you would have been fine with Franklin on a 4 year deal around 28 million?

Direckshun
07-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Reading virtually every Ravens outlet, they were happy to see Gregg go.

"His play has dropped off dramatically" is a very common phrase. The guy plays in front of Ray Lewis, and next to Haloti Ngata. Any perception that Gregg is the source of any OL's troubles the past year and a half for Baltimore is mistaken.

This is not a good signing. You could have signed Chris Hoke or Aubrayo Franklin before this.

The Ravens don't even necessarily play the same defensive scheme as we do. They play something more similar to what the Cowboys and Packers play, which is a more penetrating defensive line that makes noise in the backfield, rather than the hold-'em-up blocker occupying that the Chiefs, Patriots, and 49ers play.

Direckshun
07-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Seems like a good move to me, certainly better than what we have for now.

Better than bad.

Does not equal good.

It just equals less bad.

RedThat
07-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Powe is the key. Thats it.

We're dependent on him to be our NT of the future.

DJ's left nut
07-30-2011, 09:18 AM
So you would have been fine with Franklin on a 4 year deal around 28 million?

Probably. It would depend on how it's structured (i.e. how easily could we escape it after yr 3).

Look at it this way, Asomugha just got 5/60 to be a premier CB. Would you say that the NT position in our defense is just as important as the CB position is? I'd say it's very likely more important.

So if we have a chance to get a premier player at a critical position on our defense for about 1/2 of what it's taking to get a guy like Asomogha, why wouldn't we?

7 million/season is cheap if it means making our entire defense significantly better. And like I said, I recognize that there are some risks associated with Franklin, but I think you need to be willing to take some risks if you're going to win it all. Think the Packers were sweating bullets when they offered Woodson his deal or when they extended Rogers? You bet they were - but they don't win that title without those moves.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Probably. It would depend on how it's structured (i.e. how easily could we escape it after yr 3).

Look at it this way, Asomugha just got 5/60 to be a premier CB. Would you say that the NT position in our defense is just as important as the CB position is? I'd say it's very likely more important.

So if we have a chance to get a premier player at a critical position on our defense for about 1/2 of what it's taking to get a guy like Asomogha, why wouldn't we?

7 million/season is cheap if it means making our entire defense significantly better. And like I said, I recognize that there are some risks associated with Franklin, but I think you need to be willing to take some risks if you're going to win it all. Think the Packers were sweating bullets when they offered Woodson his deal or when they extended Rogers? You bet they were - but they don't win that title without those moves.

Great post. One thing though. Franklin is not the equivalent of Nnamdi at NT. At the same point, I wouldn't balk at 3 years 20 million, with half of it guaranteed. I'm leery of signing fat guys to 4 year deals that are incredibly front loaded. It may be a necessity, and while I want Franklin, I'm not sure his career is the one I'd justify throwing the money too, and hoping he played his ass off.

RedThat
07-30-2011, 09:21 AM

There is a saying in life, "no risk, no reward."

I'd be fine with Franklin. I think he is a stud. But Gregg is a good signing too.

Cosmos
07-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Not the high impact, long term solution that I've been waiting to see since this team went to Pioli and the 3-4.

So today we have a 34yo on a 1yr contract, a free agent, and a 6th round rook at NT.

Look at our schdule, the team salary cap numbers and the NT depth and not be just a little dissappointed.

beer bacon
07-30-2011, 09:24 AM
There is a saying in life, "no risk, no reward."

I'd be fine with Franklin. I think he is a stud. But Gregg is a good signing too.

This is even more true with a 3-4 NT. A good NT is 315 or 320+ pounds. There is always going to be a ton of risk that a player that big will flop. You still need a good 3-4 NT for that type of defense to be elite.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Gregg had a down yr last season, but that could very well be due to sharing time with Cody.

Gregg was very solid in 09. Better than Franklin, in fact.

OnTheWarpath15
07-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Meh.

I've seen several people this morning use the playoff game against us as evidence Gregg still has talent.

Let's keep in mind he was going against a 270 pound Casey Weigmann. And he still didn't register a single statistic. You'd think if he was plugging the run as some claim, he'd show on the stat sheet once. I have a full day today, but I'm going to try to watch the playoff game this week and check him out.

That aside, he's a slight upgrade from Edwards - and at least we've addressed the position. Seems like the safe move, and that they are putting a LOT of faith into Powe being the NTOTF - otherwise we're doing this all over again in 2012.

Still wouldn't mind them bringing in another NT for depth and competition.

DJ's left nut
07-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Gregg had a down yr last season, but that could very well be due to sharing time with Cody.

Gregg was very solid in 09. Better than Franklin, in fact.

It could also be because he was 34 yrs old.

Which do you think is more likely?

ChiefGator
This is exactly the kind of signing I was looking for.

A short term stop gap.

From previous discussions, I know exactly what you mean, and agree. But it just sounds funny in a vacuum.

The Bad Guy
Meh.

I've seen several people this morning use the playoff game against us as evidence Gregg still has talent.

Let's keep in mind he was going against a 270 pound Casey Weigmann. And he still didn't register a single statistic. You'd think if he was plugging the run as some claim, he'd show on the stat sheet once. I have a full day today, but I'm going to try to watch the playoff game this week and check him out.

That aside, he's a slight upgrade from Edwards - and at least we've addressed the position. Seems like the safe move, and that they are putting a LOT of faith into Powe being the NTOTF - otherwise we're doing this all over again in 2012.

Yeah, I used the Chiefs game. Who cares who it was against? It's not like he's going against stud centers every week. He was on a defense that has been in the top 5 rushing forever.

Ron Edwards isn't even close to being the run stopper he is.

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2011, 09:30 AM
If you wanted Pat Williams then you have 0 reasons to bitch about the Gregg signing unless you are just a fan of names. Gregg is 4 years younger and unlike Williams has been playing the NT position.

milkman
07-30-2011, 09:32 AM

First pick in draft/chiefsca

MOhillbilly
07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Good deal. I love it!

DJ's left nut
07-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Meh.

It just annoys me to no end that we neglected the position for 2 seasons and now we've decided that the 5th rounder is our NTOTF.

Not 2 seasons ago when we could've snagged the best NT in the league instead of Jackson. Not last season when we could've snagged a guy that actually displaced the guy we just signed instead of a punt returner. But this season, when a legitimate difference maker was available in FA. The worst prospect of the 3 guys is suddenly the one Pioli is putting his faith in and he's bypassing a guy that has the ability to be truly elite at the position.

There's no position on this football team that Pioli has mishandled worse than the NT position - I'm not sure why I should suddenly have faith in how he intends to address it.

OnTheWarpath15
Yeah, I used the Chiefs game. Who cares who it was against? It's not like he's going against stud centers every week. He was on a defense that has been in the top 5 rushing forever.

Ron Edwards isn't even close to being the run stopper he is.

You weren't the only one to use that game.

And I'd say it matters quite a bit who he was going against, because I can't think of another center in the league who plays at a TE's weight.

Hopefully it works out for the year, and hopefully Powe can handle the rotation.

Rausch
At least we didn't sign him from the Steelers.

That's damned near the kiss of death...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 09:35 AM
It just annoys me to no end that we neglected the position for 2 seasons and now we've decided that the 5th rounder is our NTOTF.

Not 2 seasons ago when we could've snagged the best NT in the league instead of Jackson. Not last season when we could've snagged a guy that actually displaced the guy we just signed instead of a punt returner. But this season, when a legitimate difference maker was available in FA. The worst prospect of the 3 guys is suddenly the one Pioli is putting his faith in and he's bypassing a guy that has the ability to be truly elite at the position.

There's no position on this football team that Pioli has mishandled worse than the NT position - I'm not sure why I should suddenly have faith in how he intends to address it.

There is not a logical response to this post that can refute it.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 09:35 AM
It could also be because he was 34 yrs old.

Which do you think is more likely?Ted Washington disagrees with you. :)

Could be. But look at each players numbers and tell me who has a more productive and consistent career.

OnTheWarpath15
07-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Hard to argue with this.

cabletech94
07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
glad we got someone.

what's the chance we bring in another NT?

Extra Point
07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
If the guy doesn't have tackle stats, but plugs gaps for short yardage, that's cool. Positive signing.

TEX
07-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Totally agree with the whole post - 2nd sentence in paragraph two is what gets to me the most...

Direckshun
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Ugh, this depresses me.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM

WE'RE NOT DONE YET...

mcaj22
07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
i think we bring in another rotation veteran lineman no?

we lost both Shaun Smith and Ron Edwards,

do they really trust two rookies (Powe and Bailey) + Kelly Gregg to fill that void?

I'm not saying they can't do it, but Shaun Smith was severely underrated as a rotational guy and someone HAS to step up. Shaun Smith helped when TJack was hurt or when Jackson would just flat out shit the bed. Smith could come in and do what he did.

If Glenn Dorsey or Tyson Jackson gets hurt we are fucked.

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm not ready to bronze Cody's dick just yet based on those 13 tackles in 13 games, so I'm going to hold out judgement on that one.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not ready to bronze Cody's dick just yet based on those 13 tackles in 13 games, so I'm going to hold out judgement on that one.

How about BJ Raji? There's too much in that post to be able to refute it. Way too much truth.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 09:43 AM

do they really trust two rookies (Powe and Bailey) + Kelly Gregg to fill that void?

I'm not saying they can't do it, but Shaun Smith was severely underrated as a rotational guy and someone HAS to step up. Shaun Smith helped when TJack was hurt or when Jackson would just flat out shit the bed. Smith could come in and do what he did.

If Glenn Dorsey or Tyson Jackson gets hurt we are fucked.Bailey is not an NT.

Mr. Flopnuts

If Glenn Dorsey or Tyson Jackson gets hurt we are fucked.

LMAO If Tyson Jackson gets hurt, we're stronger. He's fucking worthless. I hope the fat, fucking turd makes me eat my words by season's end, but I'm surely not holding my breath.

chiefscafan
I liked powe in college surprised he lasted till 6th round. I would have drafted him between 3rd and 5th round.

I don't know if he is ready or will be this year.

Yes a little disappointed I wanted Franklin I thought that move makes us an elite D. Does Gregg do that not sure yet if we can stop the run as some say we will be ok.

mcaj22
i saw enough I needed to see of Terrence Cody in the Chiefs playoff game when he was chasing down our RBs. It made me sick knowing we drafted a gimmick midget over him.

Otter
07-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm starting the Jerrell Powe *POW* thing..

It's on!

RedThat
07-30-2011, 09:45 AM
This is even more true with a 3-4 NT. A good NT is 315 or 320+ pounds. There is always going to be a ton of risk that a player that big will flop. You still need a good 3-4 NT for that type of defense to be elite.

Absolutely.

Imo, either way we are taking a risk. It's "we either sign Franklin", give him his 28 mil for 4 yrs...Or, sign a vet (i.e, gregg) as a short term solution and also have him groom our young project in Powe. Chiefs are still taking that risk by beibg dependent on a 6th round project to be their NT of the future.

But I think this is a safer risk and works better. Because at least Gregg comes at a much cheaper price. And with Gregg you know you have a proven commodity at the NT position. The guy may not be a probowler or anything, but he is a solid NT. So we are going to get good NT play for at least one year. And we all know he is an upgrade over Ron Edwards. So I feel good that we've improved at the position for at least a year.

And its only a one year deal? So if he is washed up. No biggie. You let him walk. Can't say that about Franklin? If you sign him and lock him up to a long term deal, and he flops after a year, you're basically stuck with an overpaid/overachieving player. You cut him, then he can make a significant hit towards your cap.

If Gregg plays well, great. Works for us. And if Powe is not ready after this year, at least we have the option to sign Gregg to another one year deal much like we did with Wiegman this year. So we can keep him, and if Powe flops, oh well draft another NT. what can I say? Gregg gives us some security at the NT position. Can't go wrong with one year deals especially when solid players like him are available on the market.

milkman
07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
How ironic would it be for the Chiefs to sign Ty Warren and he replaces Ty jackson as the starter, since Warren is the guy that Pioli compared Jackson to following that pick?

Mr. Flopnuts
Absolutely.

Imo, either way we are taking a risk. It's "we either sign Franklin", give him his 28 mil for 4 yrs...Or, sign a vet (i.e, gregg) as a short term solution and also have him groom our young project in Powe. Chiefs are still taking that risk by beibg dependent on a 6th round project to be their NT of the future.

But I think this is a safer risk and works better. Because at least Gregg comes at a much cheaper price. And with Gregg you know you have a proven commodity at the NT position. The guy may not be a probowler or anything, but he is a solid NT. So we are going to get good NT play for at least one year. And we all know he is an upgrade over Ron Edwards. So I feel good that we've improved at the position for at least a year.

And its only a one year deal? So if he is washed up. No biggie. You let him walk. Can't say that about Franklin? If you sign him and lock him up to a long term deal, and he flops after a year, you're basically stuck with an overpaid/overachieving player. You cut him, then he can make a significant hit towards your cap.

If Gregg plays well, great. Works for us. And if Powe is not ready after this year, at least we have the option to sign Gregg to another one year deal much like we did with Wiegman this year. So we can keep him, and if Powe flops, oh well draft another NT. what can I say? Gregg gives us some security at the NT position. Can't go wrong with one year deals especially when solid players like him are available on the market.

We have NOTHING to worry about in regards to salary cap for at least 4 years. If we were ever going to go gangbusters, now is the time to do it.

mcaj22
Bailey is not an NT.

right, but who spells Tyson Jackson in run support if Tyson Jackson gets hurt? Shaun Smith was that guy last season.

I was talking both Ron Edwards and the DE depth in the 34 . Who plays that "Shaun Smith" role now? Allen Bailey? Wallace Gilberry?

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 09:50 AM
i saw enough I needed to see of Terrence Cody in the Chiefs playoff game when he was chasing down our RBs. It made me sick knowing we drafted a gimmick midget over him.

Remember who was blocking him.

I don't get the love for Cody. I agree with whoever that the huge mistake was passing on Raji. And while I like Powe, it would have been nicer to have a Phil Taylor or a Troup. Especially Troup, because we could have and should have drafted him over McCluster.

OnTheWarpath15
07-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Remember who was blocking him.

I don't get the love for Cody. I agree with whoever that the huge mistake was passing on Raji. And while I like Powe, it would have been nicer to have a Phil Taylor or a Troup. Especially Troup, because we could have and should have drafted him over McCluster.

PREPARE TO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

WE CAN'T CHANGE IT NOW.

QUIT BITCHING ABOUT IT.

:p

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I liked powe in college surprised he lasted till 6th round. I would have drafted him between 3rd and 5th round.

Yes a little disappointed I wanted Franklin I thought that move makes us an elite D. Does Gregg do that not sure yet if we can stop the run as some say we will be ok.

Powe dropped for two reasons. 1.) He's borderline retarded. 2.) his 2010 season was a serious disappointment. But 2.) isn't all his fault. Powe was seriously dominant in 2009 as a NT. But in 2010, his coaches made him lose weight and play the 3-technique (for the most part; Ole Miss does a lot of DL rotations).

Hopefully Powe can regain his 2009 form now that he's going to be playing a dedicated NT again.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Warren isn't going to get a giant contract...he's a camp cut 3-4 DE coming off a missed season...and he is so much better than Jackson it isn't even worth discussing (assuming his hip isn't screwed)

and I'm fine with Jackson as a rotation guy...i haven't seen jack shit from him to convince he has the desire to be an ass kicking starter....frankly, i think he is a big %#%#! just like edwards

if he proves me wrong, great...

Jackson's much better than Edwards and has the upside to be a lot better.

I agree, Warren would be great for a reasonable contract. He's definitely much better than Jackson. But I still say Jackson isn't nearly as useless as people say he is. He plays a pretty unsexy position--that's a big part of the problem.

I still think the Chiefs could take a shot at Aubrayo. Think about the flexibility Gregg offers you. If Aubrayo loafs, you still have Gregg to pick up the slack. If Jackson loafs, Gregg can be a good stop-gap there. Best of all, the threat of having Gregg there gives tons of motivation for both of those guys to step up their game. If you sign Aubrayo to a 3-year contract, he'll realize really quick that the only way he collects on year 2 money is if he performs. And that means having to beat out Gregg for the job. Is it possible that that was some of the thinking behind the signing? I hope so. Imagine Gregg-Franklin-Dorsey. That to me is a much more compelling line.

milkman
07-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Powe dropped for two reasons. 1.) He's borderline retarded. 2.) his 2010 season was a serious disappointment. But 2.) isn't all his fault. Powe was seriously dominant in 2009 as a NT. But in 2010, his coaches made him lose weight and play the 3-technique (for the most part; Ole Miss does a lot of DL rotations).

Hopefully Powe can regain his 2009 form now that he's going to be playing a dedicated NT again.

What's "berderline retarded" is calling someone who has dyslexia "berderline retarded".

TEX
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Absolutely.

Agree with the thought process, BUT we might not get solid play at the NT position this year. A older guy can lose it quickly. I'm also biased because I was so against the McBUSTer pick last year.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Agree with the thought process, BUT we might not get solid play at the NT position this year. A older guy can lose it quickly. I'm also biased because I was so against the McBUSTer pick last year.

McBuster. That's almost as good as Casshole. You're part of an elite group here at Chiefsplanet. Those of us who give elite nicknames. Our founding father is Phobia with the famous TrINT monicker.

Dante84
07-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Looks like they have a lot of faith in Powe, if you read between the lines.

there's a joke in here somewhere but I can't quite get a hold of it.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-30-2011, 10:05 AM
apparently Ravens fans nicked named him Buddy Lee lol

rocknrolla
07-30-2011, 10:15 AM
I really don't think Pioli would have let Smith and Edwards go with only Gregg in mind to make up for those losses. He's not done. It might not be sexy what he does. But I do think he has a good plan to improve that line.

RedThat
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM

We'll see. Only time will tell. That is why I like one year deals. Gregg flops, you let him walk. Simple.

But at least he brings a wealth of experience to a 3-4 defense. The guy has been starting on a 3-4 DL for the last 9 years both as a DE and NT. At the very least, he will provide good mentorship to the young guys. We couldn't say that about Ron Edwards.

This signing kind of reminds me of Vrabel. Hopefully Gregg doesn't perform the same way.

TEX
07-30-2011, 10:19 AM
McBuster. That's almost as good as Casshole. You're part of an elite group here at Chiefsplanet. Those of us who give elite nicknames. Our founding father is Phobia with the famous TrINT monicker.

LOL! Yep - spit up coke all over the screen the first time I read TrINT...THAT's the best ever! I have my moments, but Phill is that way all the time.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 10:25 AM
What's "berderline retarded" is calling someone who has dyslexia "berderline retarded".I wondered that, too. A learning disability is hardly retarded. I figured Reaper was smart enough to know the difference.

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I wondered that, too. A learning disability is hardly retarded. I figured Reaper was smart enough to know the difference.
Jesus, I wasn't actually claiming that Powe was retarded. That was just the insensitive phrase that I used instead of 'stupid' or 'idiot' or etc. Who uses "borderline retarded" in any sort of serious context? It was clearly a derisive comment.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Jesus, I wasn't actually claiming that Powe was retarded. That was just the insensitive phrase that I used instead of 'stupid' or 'idiot' or etc. Who uses "borderline retarded" in any sort of serious context? It was clearly a derisive comment.Hyperbole. I get it. Moving on... :)

BigChiefFan
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Take it for what's it's worth, but I'm hearing we are trying to trade for Ngata. Whoop!!!

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Hyperbole. I get it. Moving on... :)
Absolutely. My default mode of humor is hyperbolic insensitivity.

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Take it for what's it's worth, but I'm hearing we are trying to trade for Ngata. Whoop!!!
Until I hear it in a BRC email, I'm not believing shit.

FD
07-30-2011, 10:35 AM
The timing of this makes me think they did their due diligence on Franklin and ultimately decided he wasn't worth tying up big money for.

Frankie
07-30-2011, 10:36 AM

I think they one to look at Powe for a year and if he doesn't show much maybe our 1st or 2nd rounder next year will be a NT.

BigChiefFan
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Until I hear it in a BRC email, I'm not believing shit.Good for you.

Frankie
07-30-2011, 10:38 AM
He is still asking for a deal in the neighborhood of 3 years, 24 mill. Chiefs view Powe as someone who could grow into the position and did not want to tie up that money.

I totally hope for that. Here's to Powe for a decade or more. :toast:

BossChief
07-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Before I read how much of a shitty signing this is by some here, I want to say that this is exactly how I view this.

Damn good signing and I think its great fit.

Just another things I expected to happen.

Good stopgap option that should help us in multiple ways.

Run defense should be much improved. Should help the transition of Powe.

Now, Ill go ahead and read the thread.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 10:40 AM

No fucking way Baltimore lets him go. Not buying it.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Take it for what's it's worth, but I'm hearing we are trying to trade for Ngata. Whoop!!!Huh?

Frankie
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Don't be unfair. Let's give him a chance to do it before we make that judgement.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I, for one, am more excited about Gregg than Franklin. I think this is a great move.

petegz28
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Finally, a short, fat fuck to clog the middle.

milkman
07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
No ****ing way Baltimore lets him go. Not buying it.

With you on that.

No way in hell the Ravens move Ngata.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-30-2011, 10:48 AM

ROFL

:shake:

52decleetzu
07-30-2011, 10:50 AM
No ****ing way Baltimore lets him go. Not buying it.

That was obviously a joke.

Gregg is running out of steam but might have another decent year in him. I don't think he can hold up playing every snap at NT, he has been rotating the past couple years on the Dline dependingon the situation. No clue if the Chiefs plan on doing that, but if they are smart they will give him rest when they can.

Still has the motor, will be a fantastic infuence for any young guys and will teach them a lot. Has always had the leverage advantage just the way he is built, and plays with great technique. I will never forget in a preseason game last year seeing him chase down a runner from the middle of the field to the sideline...just chugging along giving every ounce of effort he had in him. And he tracked down the guy too, all 300lbs of him.

The Ravens just have so many young guys that fit Gregg's mold, we couldn't have him taking snaps from them anymore as much as we LOVE him here in Baltimore. And trust me we do love him.

Everyone thought he was done after microfracture surgery at 32 years old, but he came back and proved that he could still do it for the past 2 years. A lot of guys would have just called it a day with plenty of money in the bank, but not him. Guy loves football and will probably play until he can't walk if possible.

milkman
07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
That was obviously a joke.

Gregg is running out of steam but might have another decent year in him. I don't think he can hold up playing every snap at NT, he has been rotating the past couple years on the Dline dependingon the situation. No clue if the Chiefs plan on doing that, but if they are smart they will give him rest when they can.

Still has the motor, will be a fantastic infuence for any young guys and will teach them a lot. Has always had the leverage advantage just the way he is built, and plays with great technique. I will never forget in a preseason game last year seeing him chase down a runner from the middle of the field to the sideline...just chugging along giving every ounce of effort he had in him. And he tracked down the guy too, all 300lbs of him.

The Ravens just have so many young guys that fit Gregg's mold, we couldn't have him taking snaps from them anymore as much as we LOVE him here in Baltimore. And trust me we do love him.

Everyone thought he was done after microfracture surgery at 32 years old, but he came back and proved that he could still do it for the past 2 years. A lot of guys would have just called it a day with plenty of money in the bank, but not him. Guy loves football and will probably play until he can't walk if possible.

Just put him in a wheel chair, he'll still try to play.

Frankie
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Great point.

Fat Elvis
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Buddy Lee is a go get 'em type of guy. I like the idea that he can bring some of that Raven defensive attitude to this team.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FYCrX8z-VYE/Ti6raidwsGI/AAAAAAAACOs/AyM99LHbeS0/s1600/Kelly%2BGregg_sacks_Vick.jpg

BossChief
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM

That would have been the dumbest thing we could have done with that specific player, Zilla.

You usually do a lot more work before you post things. This one, you didnt.
Eh, little underwhelmed.

Some truth here, but you also have to realize that its not only Pioli involved here.

Romeo is the most accomplished 3-4 DL coach in the NFL and there is NO DOUBT in my mind they waited to make a decision till we could meet face to face with Franklin till we made the decision to go in another direction and thats the right call.

I bet within a week or two there are reports of Franklin being 20 pounds heavier than his normal playing weight...or some other major red flag as to why we decided he wasnt "our guy"

Powe went to Ole Miss, not Bama. I know you didnt say it in this post, but when you did it was dumb.

I thought you do your homework.....haha
The timing of this makes me think they did their due diligence on Franklin and ultimately decided he wasn't worth tying up big money for.

Exactly.

there is a reason we decided to go in another direction the day after our team could meet with players in person.

Otter
07-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't want to throw around my gladiator weight but it's on!

Eggos! = Dead
Donx = Dog Food
Raidurs = Cast pass a literacy test

7 years of college down the drain!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="312" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x403sf"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x403sf_was-it-over-when-the-germans-bombed_fun" target="_blank">Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/thefastlane2hell" target="_blank">thefastlane2hell</a></i>

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Powe went to Ole Miss, not Bama. I know you didnt say it in this post, but when you did it was dumb.

I thought you do your homework.....haha

His point was that he's watched Powe play b/c Powe played for a division rival of his team.

BossChief
07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
His point was that he's watched Powe play b/c Powe played for a division rival of his team.
shhhhhh Im fishing

Reaper16
07-30-2011, 12:02 PM
shhhhhh Im fishing
Sorry. My depth finder must be broken.

OnTheWarpath15
07-30-2011, 12:14 PM

LMAO

Mr. Flopnuts
07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

ROFL

milkman
07-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Mark twain.

Chris Meck
07-30-2011, 12:28 PM
This is a good, solid pickup. This is signature Pioli.

Take a veteran guy that is moved out of his spot on a successful team by a younger, ascending player. The veteran must be a high motor, want to type of guy. Get him cheap, short contract, plug him in to a position of need. (See Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau)

This is EXACTLY the sort of free agent you want. You spend your money on your own developing players (assuming you actually have developed players worth keeping). You get the cheap, hardworking vets with a little left in the tank to fill in the holes.

And mentor your young'uns (Powe, Torribio).

otherstar
07-30-2011, 12:39 PM
This is a good, solid pickup. This is signature Pioli.

Take a veteran guy that is moved out of his spot on a successful team by a younger, ascending player. The veteran must be a high motor, want to type of guy. Get him cheap, short contract, plug him in to a position of need. (See Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau)

This is EXACTLY the sort of free agent you want. You spend your money on your own developing players (assuming you actually have developed players worth keeping). You get the cheap, hardworking vets with a little left in the tank to fill in the holes.

And mentor your young'uns (Powe, Torribio).

Wouldn't that make this like the Vrabel signing then? If so, then it's a good deal!

Bump
07-30-2011, 12:39 PM
good move, I wouldn't be opposed to getting one more NT though.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 12:49 PM
That would have been the dumbest thing we could have done with that specific player, Zilla.

You usually do a lot more work before you post things. This one, you didnt
Please explain.

The Chiefs have a ton of cap space in year 1. We're all worried about cap space in year 2 and 3.

We're probably going to walk into 2012 with over $10M we didn't spend. That money disappears. I'd rather spend that on a player than watch it disappear. If the Chiefs wanted to front-load a contract, a player like Aubrayo who you probably want to keep for 2 years, 3 years tops, makes perfect sense.

If you're talking about motivation, I understand that. But Franklin also knows that he's on his last contract and if he doesn't work hard, there's no way he'll be back for year 2 and 3.

Pitt Gorilla
07-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Kickass.

Regards,

(I keed)

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Meh. If we were gonna go this route Chris Hoke would have been a better option. I think this team sees alot in Powe.

BossChief
07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Please explain.

The Chiefs have a ton of cap space in year 1. We're all worried about cap space in year 2 and 3.

We're probably going to walk into 2012 with over $10M we didn't spend. That money disappears. I'd rather spend that on a player than watch it disappear. If the Chiefs wanted to front-load a contract, a player like Aubrayo who you probably want to keep for 2 years, 3 years tops, makes perfect sense.

If you're talking about motivation, I understand that. But Franklin also knows that he's on his last contract and if he doesn't work hard, there's no way he'll be back for year 2 and 3.

He has shown to be a payday player.

If we gave him a check for 12-15 million, we could probably count on him trying to cash the check at a Krispy Kreme.

RealSNR
07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Many have said here already, but even though the team didn't spend much for them, Toribio and Powe are viewed as the future of this team, and Pioli doesn't want to screw up his player development by just signing a fatass to a longterm deal and then losing out on the guys they've invested in. Yeah, it's speculation, but it's a plan that could definitely work, and has worked for this team in the past couple years.

You know what you're going to get out of Gregg. He comes at a cheap price. And he'll be good enough for our NT needs this year. It also buys us another year to see what we have in Toribio/Powe.

It's a significant upgrade over Edwards. And the Chiefs have enough beef at DE. I think our Dline situation will be fine- it's far from the crisis that people claimed it was last night.

BossChief
07-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Meh. If we were gonna go this route Chris Hoke would have been a better option. I think this team sees alot in Powe.

Gregg is a much better fit.

He has tons of starting experience in which he has won a ton of individual battles and thats what we were asking for in regards to the job opening.

Hoke has shown to be a solid backup, but thats it and they are both the same age.

How is Hoke supposed to be a better fit?

IMO (and I posted this prior to the signing) Gregg was the perfect fit for our need.

Frankie
07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm starting the Jerrell Powe *POW* thing..

It's on!

It's pronounced Poe.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Gregg is a much better fit.

He has tons of starting experience in which he has won a ton of individual battles and thats what we were asking for in regards to the job opening.

Hoke has shown to be a solid backup, but thats it and they are both the same age.

How is Hoke supposed to be a better fit?

IMO (and I posted this prior to the signing) Gregg was the perfect fit for our need.

Because Gregg doesn't have much if any in the tank.

BossChief
07-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Many have said here already, but even though the team didn't spend much for them, Toribio and Powe are viewed as the future of this team, and Pioli doesn't want to screw up his player development by just signing a fatass to a longterm deal and then losing out on the guys they've invested in. Yeah, it's speculation, but it's a plan that could definitely work, and has worked for this team in the past couple years.

You know what you're going to get out of Gregg. He comes at a cheap price. And he'll be good enough for our NT needs this year. It also buys us another year to see what we have in Toribio/Powe.

It's a significant upgrade over Edwards. And the Chiefs have enough beef at DE. I think our Dline situation will be fine- it's far from the crisis that people claimed it was last night.
I agree with lots of stuff here.

Toribio was pretty good in limited action last year and is definitely flying under the radar of most here.

He kind of got lost in the mix in GB and earned further looks with his play last year IMO.

milkman
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
It's pronounced Poe.

Details.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
It's pronounced Poe.

"NEVERMORE!"

BossChief
07-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Because Gregg doesn't have much if any in the tank.

and Hoke does?

they are both about the same age.

I think he had plenty left in the tank during the playoffs last year.

Look at the Ravens playoff rush defense with him on the nose...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/playoffs.htm

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
and Hoke does?

they are both about the same age.

I think he had plenty left in the tank during the playoffs last year.

Look at the Ravens playoff rush defense with him on the nose...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/playoffs.htm

Not sure what that link even means but thats the same website that showed Edwards being more productive last year. Gregg is a rotation guy at that point and that's fine we lost 2 NT in free agency.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Not sure what that link even means but thats the same website that showed Edwards being more productive last year. Gregg is a rotation guy at that point and that's fine we lost 2 NT in free agency.

In all reality, we lost one and a 5-tech.

This we lost 2 NT's is insanely overblown. Powe is going to exclusively play NT, as will Gregg and Toribio.

They don't have to sign Hoke or Franklin. They have to add another body to play behind Jackson and Dorsey.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
In all reality, we lost one and a 5-tech.

This we lost 2 NT's is insanely overblown. Powe is going to exclusively play NT, as will Gregg and Toribio.

They don't have to sign Hoke or Franklin. They have to add another body to play behind Jackson and Dorsey.

Like I said they must really like Powe. Either way it's a roll of the dice here.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Like I said they must really like Powe. Either way it's a roll of the dice here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoke, Franklin, Williams or Warren still sign with KC this offseason, still. Relying on Gregg to be your frontline Starter at this point in his career is probably reaching. The logical stance would be that he's being brought in here to be rotational and depth.

Although, I thought the same about Vrabel the last 2 years....

RealSNR
07-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoke, Franklin, Williams or Warren still sign with KC this offseason, still. Relying on Gregg to be your frontline Starter at this point in his career is probably reaching. The logical stance would be that he's being brought in here to be rotational and depth.

Although, I thought the same about Vrabel the last 2 years....And I thought the same about Wiegmann.

Pioli just doesn't sign old fucking farts to sit around and tell stories to young rookies. He brings them in to play and teach by playing and practicing.

NTs can play at a high level even at an advanced age in the NFL. The same goes for offensive linemen. Their skills deteriorate, sure, but there's no substitute for their experience having encountered every trick in the book over the course of an NFL career.

It's just for one year. Gregg isn't a gimp, he was a 16-game starter last year for a top-flight playoff defense.

For THIS YEAR, 2011, that's the highest and best quality play we could find on the market. Franklin wasn't as good as Gregg last season, and probably wouldn't be for remaining years on a long-term deal we could have offered him.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Powe was considered a high-mid 2nd talent until his character/IQ issues came up.

Throwing him in there and expecting him to produce would be a mistake.

Giving him time in the program behind some solid vets so he knows what's fucking expected of him is a good idea. Bring him along slow, give him small amounts of PT in year 1, and lets see what happens.

But considering his upside, and the fact he's getting 6th round money, hey, it's a no lose situation...

mdstu
07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhDk9S5pBY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhDk9S5pBY8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

ROFLROFLROFL

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Powe was considered a high-mid 2nd talent until his character/IQ issues came up.

Throwing him in there and expecting him to produce would be a mistake.

Giving him time in the program behind some solid vets so he knows what's ****ing expected of him is a good idea. Bring him along slow, give him small amounts of PT in year 1, and lets see what happens.

But considering his upside, and the fact he's getting 6th round money, hey, it's a no lose situation...

Why's it a mistake? It's the nose tackle position not QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
See, now this is both good and works.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 02:04 PM
He has shown to be a payday player.

If we gave him a check for 12-15 million, we could probably count on him trying to cash the check at a Krispy Kreme.

That claim is ridiculous.

In 2010, he was under a franchise contract, which means he was still fighting to play for a new contract. Why wasn't he a contract player in 2010?

And nobody brings up the fact that maybe he struggled in 2010 because he showed up to camp in early September because he was holding out in protest to being franchised.

He had one shaky season after a big contract after a holdout, and people call him a contract player. I think you need to see just a little more evidence than that. Not to mention that maybe, just maybe, he was losing motivation because his coach was an idiot that was deflating everyone's morale with his bullshit disciplinarian approach.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Why's it a mistake? It's the nose tackle position not QB.

The NT sets the tone, he's the guy that eats blocks and frustrates the interior line. He collapses the pocket and ruins running lanes.

This is a guy we're expecting to be the beast for us.

He's also not....well....let's just ease him into this role. Rotate him in, get him some time, let him adjust...

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-30-2011, 02:09 PM
The NT sets the tone, he's the guy that eats blocks and frustrates the interior line. He collapses the pocket and ruins running lanes.

This is a guy we're expecting to be the beast for us.

He's also not....well....let's just ease him into this role. Rotate him in, get him some time, let him adjust...

Not a fan?

Rausch
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Not a fan?

I'm a huge fan.

I wanted him in the 2nd.

This is reason 2,392 why I'm not a GM...

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a huge fan.

I wanted him in the 2nd.

This is reason 2,392 why I'm not a GM...

Ah, I see.

Chief Faithful
07-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Kelly Gregg was a necessary signing who should be an upgrade over Ron Edwards. With Gregg's mileage the number 2 NT is going to be really important so here is hoping Toribio has significantly improved. I think Powe is a non-factor who would do well to make the practice squad this year.

philfree
07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
And it's official.

Gregg To Chiefs A Done Deal
By Josh Looney

Posted 1 hour ago

a a Read Discuss Comments:1
Unrestricted free agent NT Kelly Gregg signed with Kansas City Saturday afternoon

ST. JOSEPH, MO – Reports emerged early Saturday morning that unrestricted free agent NT Kelly Gregg had agreed to terms with the Chiefs, pending a physical. The Chiefs have now confirmed that Gregg’s signing is a done deal.

Gregg will be permitted to participate only in team meetings until August 4th under terms of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

A native of Wichita, Kansas, Gregg entered the NFL as a sixth-round selection (173rd overall) of Philadelphia in the 1999 NFL Draft. He’s played in 138 regular season games (123 starts) with Philadelphia (’99) and Baltimore (2001-10), recording 721 tackles (466 solo) and 19.5 sacks (-97.5 yards). He also has 12 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries.

Gregg has also seen action in eight postseason contests (six starts), including last year’s AFC Wild Card Game at Arrowhead Stadium, totaling 24 tackles (17 solo) and a half a sack (-4.5 yards).

A prototypical 3-4 nose tackle, Gregg gives the Chiefs a much needed veteran presence at a very young position. Kansas City opened training camp with two pure nose tackles – Anthony Toribio and rookie Jerrell Powe. Toribio appeared in five games last season and recorded two tackles. Powe was a sixth-round pick in 2011.

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I doubt they "see a lot in Powe". He's practiced with them for one day now. He was a 6th round pick, so obviously they didn't think the world of him. They may have some optimism for his ceiling, but I truly doubt they have high expectations.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I doubt they "see a lot in Powe". He's practiced with them for one day now. He was a 6th round pick, so obviously they didn't think the world of him. They may have some optimism for his ceiling, but I truly doubt they have high expectations.

:facepalm:

kcchiefsus
07-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Kelly Gregg was a necessary signing who should be an upgrade over Ron Edwards. With Gregg's mileage the number 2 NT is going to be really important so here is hoping Toribio has significantly improved. I think Powe is a non-factor who would do well to make the practice squad this year.

Dumbass

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 03:46 PM

What have they seen in him? He has hardly even practiced with the team. This is just another case of unrealistic expectations. Would they like him to be the starter? Absolutely. Are they "expecting" it to happen? Doubtful.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
That claim is ridiculous.

In 2010, he was under a franchise contract, which means he was still fighting to play for a new contract. Why wasn't he a contract player in 2010?

And nobody brings up the fact that maybe he struggled in 2010 because he showed up to camp in early September because he was holding out in protest to being franchised.

He had one shaky season after a big contract after a holdout, and people call him a contract player. I think you need to see just a little more evidence than that. Not to mention that maybe, just maybe, he was losing motivation because his coach was an idiot that was deflating everyone's morale with his bullshit disciplinarian approach.

What you are ignoring is that he got a 7 million dollar payday last year. Some guys, when they get millions, go lazy.

Franklin didn't go totally lazy, but he wasn't the player he was in 2009. It wasn't even close. The 49ers know that, that's why they want to go with an unproven NT to replace him.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice. We still need another NT though.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 03:55 PM
What have they seen in him? He has hardly even practiced with the team. This is just another case of unrealistic expectations. Would they like him to be the starter? Absolutely. Are they "expecting" it to happen? Doubtful.

They're expecting his potential.

They drafted him where they did. Powe had more pure talent than any NT prospect 3 rounds above him. PERIOD.

It's about his character and the ability to coach him up to the NFL level that worried people...

Brock
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
It's pretty funny to see how people have cooled on Powe, when on draft day there were tons of people saying we should have drafted him in the second or third round.

MIAdragon
07-30-2011, 04:00 PM

2X

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
They're expecting his potential.

They drafted him where they did. Powe had more pure talent than any NT prospect 3 rounds above him. PERIOD.

It's about his character and the ability to coach him up to the NFL level that worried people...

I'm hoping it works out. There are just few instances where you draft a player that late and expect him to be a starter, outside of kickers, fullbacks, and other complementary roles.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM

You do realize the franchise pays guys to scout these players 2-3 years out and they make projections on the player.

beach tribe
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I was the one who took the first look at the SF game , and said I wanted no part of Franklin because he got his shit pushed in by Casey W. Which he did, but upon further research, it looks like he was sucking dick early in the season, but really came on strong the last ten games or so, and may well have been one of the best run stuffers in the league over that period of time. Whether he's a contract player or not, I don't know, but I'm not on the wagon of not wanting him anymore.
We were also looking at a breakdown of NTs from PFF earlier, which showed Gregg having the same amount of stops as Ron Edwards in what I believe was close to 100 fewer snaps, so it's pretty safe to say we upgraded the position.
I watch a ton of SEC football, and was thrilled when we picked Powe in the 6th, and also shocked that he was still there. Thank God for dislexia, and the dumbass move by the Miss. coaches of putting Powe in the 3 tech position, and asking him to try and be Warren Sapp, because he was a ****ing OX as a NT the year before.
I think Gregg can be a perfect stop gap, because he can be damn effective with about 75 fewer snaps than he had last year, and that's FINE, because Powe needs to be on the field. The more he's out there the closer he is to reaching his potential, which is MUCH higher than what his draft position would suggest. If we land Frankilin.....fine, but I'm not gonna cry over it. I want Powe to get a significant amount of snaps, and with Gregg taking a little less than half of them, and the coaching staff also wanting to see what Toribio's got, Powe's time on the field could be further limited than I would like to see. Needless to say, i think Powe is gonna be a beast as early as next season, and maybe sooner if he can get the playing time required for him to devalop.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm hoping it works out. There are just few instances where you draft a player that late and expect him to be a starter, outside of kickers, fullbacks, and other complementary roles.

We got a steal...

beach tribe
07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
It's pretty funny to see how people have cooled on Powe, when on draft day there were tons of people saying we should have drafted him in the second or third round.

This

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
I just don't see why folks think Powe won't be playing alot this year even though he's a 6th round pick. I understand he has a learning disability but theres not much to learn at the nose tackle position. The guy is built like a shithouse and is ready to go IMO.

Rausch
07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
This

If you'd have told me that Powe would fall to the fourth, FOURTH, round i would have called you an idiot.

I can see why he fell but the fact that he fell THAT far was just jaw dropping...

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM
You do realize the franchise pays guys to scout these players 2-3 years out and they make projections on the player.

Yes. You do realize that, unlike the CP contingency, they don't project EVERY player to be a surefire starter.

People are saying he was a second round talent. So why did he fall to the 6th? Character concerns, a learning disability, and/or motivation? Therefore, he is a project with upside, not a surefire starter.

Temper your expectations, folks. It would be great if he ended up a starter, but it's highly doubtful that he was drafted solely for that purpose.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I was the one who took the first look at the SF game , and said I wanted no part of Franklin because he got his shit pushed in by Casey W. Which he did, but upon further research, it looks like he was sucking dick early in the season, but really came on strong the last ten games or so, and may well have been one of the best run stuffers in the league over that period of time. Whether he's a contract player or not, I don't know, but I'm not on the wagon of not wanting him anymore.
We were also looking at a breakdown of NTs from PFF earlier, which showed Gregg having the same amount of stops as Ron Edwards in what I believe was close to 100 fewer snaps, so it's pretty safe to say we upgraded the position.
I watch a ton of SEC football, and was thrilled when we picked Powe in the 6th, and also shocked that he was still there. Thank God for dislexia, and the dumbass move by the Miss. coaches of putting Powe in the 3 tech position, and asking him to try and be Warren Sapp, because he was a ****ing OX as a NT the year before.
I think Gregg can be a perfect stop gap, because he can be damn effective with about 75 fewer snaps than he had last year, and that's FINE, because Powe needs to be on the field. The more he's out there the closer he is to reaching his potential, which is MUCH higher than what his draft position would suggest. If we land Frankilin.....fine, but I'm not gonna cry over it. I want Powe to get a significant amount of snaps, and with Gregg taking a little less than half of them, and the coaching staff also wanting to see what Toribio's got, Powe's time on the field could be further limited than I would like to see. Needless to say, i think Powe is gonna be a beast as early as next season, and maybe sooner if he can get the playing time required for him to devalop.

PFF gave him a decent grade.

1. Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco 49ers

Age as of 1st September 2011: 31

2010 Grade: +15.5

Key Stat: 37 defensive stops. Third most of all defensive tackles.

Behind The Numbers: Let’s be honest, there are not enough quality nose tackles in the league right now, so good ones are all the more valuable. Franklin isn’t a one gap nose tackle that is all the rage, but a true prototypical, run stuffing, gobble up running backs two gapper. He’s not going to get after the passer, but when you can anchor a line like Franklin you really don’t need to.

RustShack
07-30-2011, 04:56 PM
The funny thing is if we would have drafted Powe in the 2nd like everyone wanted not a single person would be talking down on him right now, even though hes still the exact same person.

Smed1065
07-30-2011, 04:58 PM

We all hope and wish.

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 05:04 PM
The funny thing is if we would have drafted Powe in the 2nd like everyone wanted not a single person would be talking down on him right now, even though hes still the exact same person.

This makes no sense. He wasn't drafted in the second. He fell to the sixth because no team thought he was deserving enough to be drafted before then, the Chiefs included. If he was drafted in the second, he would be expected to see significant time this year. He isn't prepared for that, so he wasn't drafted there.

Point is, he wasn't good enough to be drafted in the second round.

cabletech94
07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
never trust a man with 2 first names (yes, i worked with a guy named gregg once).

Smed1065
07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
I just don't see why folks think Powe won't be playing alot this year even though he's a 6th round pick. I understand he has a learning disability but theres not much to learn at the nose tackle position. The guy is built like a shithouse and is ready to go IMO.

We hate dumbasses.........:harumph:

Smed1065
07-30-2011, 05:13 PM
This makes no sense. He wasn't drafted in the second. He fell to the sixth because no team thought he was deserving enough to be drafted before then, the Chiefs included. If he was drafted in the second, he would be expected to see significant time this year. He isn't prepared for that, so he wasn't drafted there.

Point is, he wasn't good enough to be drafted in the second round.

WTF? I speak alcohol but damn.

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 05:17 PM
WTF? I speak alcohol but damn.

He said that if we drafted him in the second round, there wouldn't be these concerns. That's an obvious statement, because you expect a second rounder to contribute early.

The fact is, he was not drafted in the second. He was drafted in the sixth. You don't expect sixth rounders to contribute, or really develop into starters.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
He said that if we drafted him in the second round, there wouldn't be these concerns. That's an obvious statement, because you expect a second rounder to contribute early.

The fact is, he was not drafted in the second. He was drafted in the sixth. You don't expect sixth rounders to contribute, or really develop into starters.

You expect a certain percentage of late round picks to make rosters and become starters. Also, when a player falls, the reason(s) for the fall become important. Marcus Cannon fell to the Patriots in the fifth round because of a lymphoma diagnosis. Prior to that, he was looked at as a first or second round pick. Well, the chemo is done, seems to have been successful, and Cannon is being looked at as possibly getting into camp to compete for the starting RG job.

Easy 6
07-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Better him than overpaying for Franklin IMO & he also has playoff experience oozing from his pores.

Chris Meck
07-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm pleased with this move, but I'd still like another experienced body to go into camp with. I like Powe's potential, and Torribio is intriguing but one or the other right now is going to have to play a lot.

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 06:03 PM
You expect a certain percentage of late round picks to make rosters and become starters. Also, when a player falls, the reason(s) for the fall become important. Marcus Cannon fell to the Patriots in the fifth round because of a lymphoma diagnosis. Prior to that, he was looked at as a first or second round pick. Well, the chemo is done, seems to have been successful, and Cannon is being looked at as possibly getting into camp to compete for the starting RG job.

Oh, I agree with this. I just think it's unrealistic to put the expectation of "future starter" on what amounts to an unknown product with obvious question marks.

MoreLemonPledge
07-30-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm pleased with this move, but I'd still like another experienced body to go into camp with. I like Powe's potential, and Torribio is intriguing but one or the other right now is going to have to play a lot.

I'd expect them to sign another DE more than another NT. I think we'll see a more involved and varied defensive scheme with more 4 man fronts and such (like what NE does), being that this is the second year of Romeo's scheme.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:23 PM
While I'm not yet ready to panic about the Chiefs passing on Franklin...
I also think this idea that 4 years $28,000,000 is too much to ask for a cornerstone defender is asinine. We have the money to get Franklin. With him...AND Gregg...this defense could very well improve 5 slots from where it was last year.

I mean...Have you seen the Chiefs schedule for the season?

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 06:26 PM
I also think this idea that 4 years $28,000,000 is too much to ask for a cornerstone defender is asinine. We have the money to get Franklin. With him...AND Gregg...this defense could very well improve 5 slots from where it was last year.

I mean...Have you seen the Chiefs schedule for the season?

San Francisco just let the guy walk away.

Also, Kirk Morrison is on the radio now, talking about why there's been so little movement, and saying that there's been a lot going on behind the scenes but the August 4th issue is holding a lot of things up.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2011, 06:30 PM

I mean...Have you seen the Chiefs schedule for the season?The problem here is Franklin isn't a cornerstone defender. That said, I wouldn't object to them signing him.

milkman
I don't get this whole Aug 4 thing.

They made a big deal about getting the CBA done in time to get the first preseason games in, but won't let free agent signees in camp until then.

I know that it has to do with the start of the league year, but that was just arbitrary date they set.

Micjones
San Francisco just let the guy walk away.

Just as we let Ron Edwards and Shaun Smith walk away.
Hardly means those players won't go on to be beneficial to Carolina and Tennessee respectively.

Players become Free Agents for a number of reasons.
It's not always a matter of a mysterious undisclosed injury or even their inability to perform at optimal levels anymore.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
The problem here is Franklin isn't a cornerstone defender. That said, I wouldn't object to them signing him.

He has the talent to be elite at his position, he's the best option available and plays at a position that largely hinges upon the success of that particular defensive scheme. Huh?

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Just read a Ravens message board. They seemed to love Gregg but said they wouldn't be upset if he wasn't re-signed. A few commented on how his play has declined the last few years since coming off microfracture surgery. This confirms what I thought about the signing. Gregg is a rotation guy at this point.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Just read a Ravens message board. They seemed to love Gregg but said they wouldn't be upset if he wasn't re-signed. A few commented on how his play has declined the last few years since coming off microfracture surgery. This confirms what I thought about the signing. Gregg is a rotation guy at this point.

Which, in my mind, is good news.
Keeps the door open to a bigger signing at the position like Franklin or Warren.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Just as we let Ron Edwards and Shaun Smith walk away.
Hardly means those players won't go on to be beneficial to Carolina and Tennessee respectively.

Players become Free Agents for a number of reasons.
It's not always a matter of a mysterious undisclosed injury or even their inability to perform at optimal levels anymore.

But Edwards was at one of those cornerstone positions, too. The 49ers obviously decided that Franklin + Contract was not going to give them sufficient value.

milkman
07-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Last few years since coming off a microfracture surgery?

Wasn't that surgery after the '09 season?

Sounds like rationalization to me.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
But Edwards was at one of those cornerstone positions, too. The 49ers obviously decided that Franklin + Contract was not going to give them sufficient value.

I don't follow. Neither Edwards or Smith are comparable talent-wise to Franklin.
Even prior to them signing with other franchises this team needed to upgrade the position.

milkman
Which, in my mind, is good news.
Keeps the door open to a bigger signing at the position like Franklin or Warren.

Warren is a DE.

BigMeatballDave
He has the talent to be elite at his position, he's the best option available and plays at a position that largely hinges upon the success of that particular defensive scheme. Huh?To be elite? He's almost 31. Might be a bit too late for that.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2011, 06:36 PM
can't blame the 49ers for being wary ... i think every good year of Franklins was a contract year.

for a Dlineman that can be a disaster of Dan Williams/Chester McGlockton proportions