PDA

View Full Version : Life I just co-hosted a benefit for a friend with cancer

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm sure we all know or have known someone who has cancer. An old friend Dave is fighting it for the second time and we had a benefit for him tonight. Dave and I used to work together and he's now the marketing director for a local collegiate league baseball team I also do some work for. As many of you know I do radio as my career and the neat thing about tonight was that I got to join forces with 3 other areas radio personalitys to co-host the event. As it would happen I've worked with all 3 of those guys before too.

During the day we're competitors. Tonight it wasn't about that. The way the 4 of worked together for a common cause... and a worthy cause... wasn't just cool it was inspiring. It was good to see them again and we picked up right where we left off... like we knew each others habits and tendancys on a mircophone. It was nice being one with them for a night again rather than trying to beat them on the streets.

We also raised over 10K for Dave to help with his medical bills.... which is the best part. Dave is one of those guys everyone loves. He's determined to beat it and if anyone ever could it's him. Was good to see his largely decimated body on the dance floor doing the twist and the chicken dance.

I don't know why I'm posting this other than to express how awesome it is to see the good in people. Not just joining up with guys who are my competition at work and having no weirdness between us.... but the few hundred people who attended who... in this bad economy... gave about 10K to help a friend in 3 hours time.

We have a lot to bitch about. I just wanted to take the time to say that people can still be counted on when the going gets rough and it was a lesson I both needed and appreciate.

KcMizzou
07-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Very cool. We live in a cynical world.... but I believe your average Joe is a basically good person.

Bwana
07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
:thumb:

kysirsoze
07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Great story. I'm sure what you guys did means the world to your friend. Not just the money, but the love and support.

Bugeater
07-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Chicken Dance?

ughhh....

KcMizzou
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Chicken Dance?

ughhh....You know you love that shit.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Chicken Dance?

ughhh....

It's one of the requirements of doing a dance with people mostly over 40. And btw Daves nickname is chickenman. He used to be the San Diego chicken so we played that as his last song before he was worn out and had to go home.

KcMizzou
07-30-2011, 11:20 PM
It's one of the requirements of doing a dance with people mostly over 40. And btw Daves nickname is chickenman. He used to be the San Diego chicken so we played that as his last song before he was worn out and had to go home.Way to make Bug feel like an asshole.

You hear that Bug? You're a dick.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Way to make Bug feel like an asshole.

You hear that Bug? You're a dick.

Wasn't trying to do that. Bug is right... the chicken dance is lame. Just explaining the situation.

KcMizzou
07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Wasn't trying to do that. Bug is right... the chicken dance is lame. Just explaining the situation.And I'm just having fun with it. Giving a friend some shit. All's good.

Sorry.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
And I'm just having fun with it. Giving a friend some shit. All's good.

I know. just letting Bug know it wasn't offensive.

KcMizzou
07-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I know. just letting Bug know it wasn't offensive.pfft.. he knows.

Bugeater
07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Wasn't trying to do that. Bug is right... the chicken dance is lame. Just explaining the situation.
Oh no, I'm an asshole damnit.

But in all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about your friend. As I've mentioned before, I lost my father in law to cancer over a decade ago. Watching someone get robbed of their life isn't a very pleasant thing to see.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Oh no, I'm an asshole damnit.

But in all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about your friend. As I've mentioned before, I lost my father in law to cancer over a decade ago. Watching someone get robbed of their life isn't a very pleasant thing to see.

Well you may be an asshole but you're OUR asshole.

My dad died from his 3rd fight with cancer 4 years ago. He beat it twice. Was always a strong dude.

Easy 6
07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
10k is a great nights work, you're pals obviously a beloved guy.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-31-2011, 12:07 AM
10k is a great nights work, you're pals obviously a beloved guy.

He really is. I wish everyone could know Dave. Obviously there were a few big donations from the "rich people" who were there... but still...

Easy 6
07-31-2011, 12:31 AM
He really is. I wish everyone could know Dave. Obviously there were a few big donations from the "rich people" who were there... but still...

I've always had a love/hate thing with being around my loved ones with cancer.

Love the simple fact that they're still there in front of me, love trying to be a rock for them & give them that sense of 'everythings gonna be fine' normalcy.

Hate sensing that constant fear below their surface, knowing there isnt a damn thing i can do about the private war they have to wage every day.

I send your pal my best.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-31-2011, 12:50 AM
I've always had a love/hate thing with being around my loved ones with cancer.

Love the simple fact that they're still there in front of me, love trying to be a rock for them & give them that sense of 'everythings gonna be fine' normalcy.

Hate sensing that constant fear below their surface, knowing there isnt a damn thing i can do about the private war they have to wage every day.

I send your pal my best.

I could write a book about what my dad endured... what my mom endured taking care of him... what us kids endured. Our story isn't any more important than anyone else's though.

I just pray we can find a cure someday. My dad did nothing but work his ass off to support his family all his life and Dave never did anything but work hard, love his friends and be a great friend/father.

Cancer sucks. People don't.

Easy 6
07-31-2011, 12:55 AM
I just pray we can find a cure someday.

Seriously, atleast something more effective than current methods.

milkman
07-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Well you may be an asshole but you're OUR asshole.

No wonder this place is constipated.