PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs sign ILB Brandon Siler

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice pick up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Siler

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/7/31/2308190/kansas-city-chiefs-nab-inside-linebacker-from-chargers-according-to

Priest31kc
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Very solid pickup. And our 4th Brandon! (My son's name btw).

chiefqueen
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
So will he be the long snapper?

Mr. Arrowhead
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
like I said in the other thread, Siler sounds alot like Belcher, solid against the run, struggles a little bit in pass coverage.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Good signing.

Still hoping for a difference maker, but I don't think Pioli's going to go that route.

I don't get the idea this front office thinks we're truly in it this season. They're just making a bunch of 'steady' moves but nothing that looks like it's designed to get us over the top.

rockymtnchief
07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Very solid pickup. And our 4th Brandon! (My son's name btw).

5th. Brandon Bair is on the roster also.

the Talking Can
07-31-2011, 06:12 PM
cool...guess this means mays is in trouble

Priest31kc
07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
5th. Brandon Bair is on the roster also.

Thats right forgot about him....

And yep looks like Mays is out of here.

BigMeatballDave
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
I wonder if Pioli's goal is to fill the roster with Brandons?

Hammock Parties
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Brandon Siler > Corey Mays

tk13
07-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Good signing.

Still hoping for a difference maker, but I don't think Pioli's going to go that route.

I don't get the idea this front office thinks we're truly in it this season. They're just making a bunch of 'steady' moves but nothing that looks like it's designed to get us over the top.

Yeah, but I think that's about par for the course for the Patriots guys. Well, it's the same for the Colts and Steelers too. But the Patriots guys all seem to look for the mid-level FA's they expect to play above their value. Any of the big moves always seem to be through trade.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
cool...guess this means mays is in trouble

Battle between Demorrio, Mays and Siler for 2 backup spots.

Demorrio's a little light for the 3-4 so he might be the odd man out...but he's more talented than the other two. Should be interesting.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Interesting signing. Should be an interesting training camp battle between Siler and Belcher. I like Belcher and think he'll improve enough to win it, but quality depth is never a bad thing.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 06:19 PM
By the way, San Diego lost both Kevin Burnett and Siler. Interesting.

the Talking Can
07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Battle between Demorrio, Mays and Siler for 2 backup spots.

Demorrio's a little light for the 3-4 so he might be the odd man out...but he's more talented than the other two. Should be interesting.

i think williams backs up DJ, and siler beats out mays to backup Belcher....

here's a link (from the FA thread) to chargers board w/ comments on siler

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?p=3587285&posted=1#post3587285

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Awesome!

I wanted to draft Siler back in 2007.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ibJD0JtbiJoENgUGQ7bmZIMo9c3ZaJYKR7AP_3GfNSUJq2EWmQ

Huffman83
07-31-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't believe Mays is on the team anymore. (UFA)

If anything it may mean that Corey Greenwood will be gone.

MMXcalibur
07-31-2011, 06:39 PM
My name is Brandon. Sign me, Pioli!!!!

NaptownChief
07-31-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of this pickup....Good solid player.

BigChiefFan
07-31-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't believe Mays is on the team anymore. (UFA)

If anything it may mean that Corey Greenwood will be gone.You are correct. Mays isn't on the team.

booger
07-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Mays is a UFA but they gave his #51 to rookie OLB Gabe Miller so they probably have no plans to resign him

TimeForWasp
07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
We only want Brandons . Brandons, Brandons, Brandons. All players need to change their name to Brandon to make the team.

Basileus777
07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Siler is a nice role player and good in goal-line situations. He's a decent player to have in a LB rotation.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Now we just need woodyard!

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 07:40 PM
How many Brandons were on those Patriot teams? Maybe that is the secret to winning it all.

milkman
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Good signing.

I think the issue is that they don't believe you need to make a splash in free agency to improve the team.

My thinking is that they feel pretty comfortable with the core group they have, and feel they can improve the overall talent and depth with 2nd tier guys and stil compete.

When they reach the point where they feel that one big time player might be a big difference maker, they might persue a big name.

While I am, like everyone else, anxious to see the Chiefs pick up free agents that I think can help this team, I have always been a proponent of the approach I think they are taking.

Teams that make big splashes rarely make big improvements.

keg in kc
07-31-2011, 08:00 PM
I think the issue is that they don't believe you need to make a splash in free agency to improve the team.

My thinking is that they feel pretty comfortable with the core group they have, and feel they can improve the overall talent and depth with 2nd tier guys and stil compete.

When they reach the point where they feel that one big time player might be a big difference maker, they might persue a big name.

While I am, like everyone else, anxious to see the Chiefs pick up free agents that I think can help this team, I have always been a proponent of the approach I think they are taking.

Teams that make big splashes rarely make big improvements.I agree, and would add that there's also the possibility, remote as it may be, that teams can find difference makers that aren't necessarily big names or require big contracts.

TEX
07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
I like this signing. These are the types of signings (good solid players) that can make a difference.

milkman
07-31-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd be pretty satisfied with this free agency period if the Chiefs added a tackle (Ryan Harris would be my favorite at this point) and another NT, like Chris Hoke.

If they want to add McClain, that'd just be a bonus.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I'd be pretty satisfied with this free agency period if the Chiefs added a tackle (Ryan Harris would be my favorite at this point) and another NT, like Chris Hoke.

If they want to add McClain, that'd just be a bonus.

Hey at least we know for a fact that the Chiefs are TRYING to sign a right tackle. It's nice to hear that they are looking, and they know the weakness' of this team and aren't oblivious. It's just a matter of finding a guy that wants to be a Chief. Apparently Jamal Brown wanted to be a loser, not a Chief.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Love this signing.

I'll love it even more if they actually hold a fair competition between him and Belcher.

Micjones
07-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Good signing. Might actually push Belcher for the starting job, but at the absolute worst he's a young talented player, with 3-4 experience, who will be a rock-solid backup at ILB.

CupidStunt
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Love this signing.

I'll love it even more if they actually hold a fair competition between him and Belcher.

No reason they won't. You could see it with TJack/Smith, given the dollars, but there's no reason to favor Belcher here. He was solid in the playoff game but overall pretty awful. If Siler brings it in preseason, he's the banger DJ needs to play next to him.

Micjones
07-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Love this signing.

This is one of the few positions where I can actually see that happening.

milkman
07-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Whoever starts, we just improved our LB corps.

doomy3
07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Nice! Would have preferred Tulloch, but at least we are signing a guy with some upside who should help bolster our LB corps.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2011, 08:21 PM

But teams that don't make big splashes tend to have an identity.

What's this team's identity? I guess it's a run-first offense but even that kind of squad is going to need to be a premier defensive team - we aren't. And let's face it, for all the improvements the defense made last season, it was still just barely a top 20 defense.

Does Siler change that? Gregg? Studebaker?

The Pats had Brady. The Packers Rodgers and the best defense in football (and Woodson was probably the biggest FA on the market that year). Those teams know what they are and don't need to go out there and make aggressive FA moves.

If you're not going to make a splash, you have to have an identity. And if you don't have an identity perhaps making a splash to acquire one is a good idea. I'm not saying Nnamdi or anything, but Franklin, Warren and Manny Lawson would sure do a lot to make this a legitimately nasty defense. Suddenly you have that 'run hard, play badass defense' identity.

I just don't see an identity in this squad or an eagerness to find one.

Micjones
07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Now if we could just sign:
Ryan Harris, Le'Ron McClain, another DT and a veteran Safety

I'd be over the moon.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-31-2011, 08:23 PM

What's this team's identity? I guess it's a run-first offense but even that kind of squad is going to need to be a premier defensive team - we aren't. And let's face it, for all the improvements the defense made last season, it was still just barely a top 20 defense.

The Pats had Brady. The Packers Rodgers and the best defense in football (and Woodson was probably the biggest FA on the market that year). Those teams know what they are and don't need to go out there and make aggressive FA moves.

If you're not going to make a splash, you have to have an identity. And if you don't have an identity perhaps making a splash to acquire one is a good idea. I'm not saying Nnamdi or anything, but Franklin, Warren and Manny Lawson would sure do a lot to make this a legitimately nasty defense. Suddenly you have that 'run hard, play badass defense' identity.

so your willing to give Franklin who is a decent player, a Elite NT contract

LVNHACK
07-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Ahhhhh....perspective....yeah the signing beats living in a cave, your wife smelling of wood and shit smoke, and you trying to decide what little boy in the villiage you want to have sex with.....

kysirsoze
07-31-2011, 08:26 PM

I've said it a few times, but this would be a dream signing for me.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
so your willing to give Franklin who is a decent player, a Elite NT contract

Franklin's one of the top 5 NTs in football and will be paid accordingly.

And yes, I'd be willing to give that to him. Unlike the Silers and Gregg's of the world, Franklin has the ability to take an average defense and make it very good. This defense is built around its NT and having one of the best guys in the league at the most critical position on our defense would be pretty freakin' handy.

Besides, wait till we see Franklin's deal. It's been quiet enough that I'm betting we'll all be very surprised at the how reasonable the price is.

kysirsoze
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Ahhhhh....perspective....yeah the signing beats living in a cave, your wife smelling of wood and shit smoke, and you trying to decide what little boy in the villiage you want to have sex with.....

Whh.......what?

keg in kc
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Ahhhhh....perspective....yeah the signing beats living in a cave, your wife smelling of wood and shit smoke, and you trying to decide what little boy in the villiage you want to have sex with.....And here the discussion turned to the latest free agent rumors now that the NAMBLA lockout has ended.

milkman
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM

I think the impact that Gregg has on this defense is going to be far more that you expect.

I also think this team's identity on defense will be forged by Eric Berry and Tamba Hali.

Micjones
07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

And yes, I'd be willing to give that to him. Unlike the Silers and Gregg's of the world, Franklin has the ability to take an average defense and make it very good. This defense is built around its NT and having one of the best guys in the league at the most critical position on our defense would be pretty freakin' handy.

Besides, wait till we see Franklin's deal. It's been quiet enough that I'm betting we'll all be very surprised at the how reasonable the price is.

I tend to agree that a guy like Franklin improves this defense dramatically.
WITH Gregg? Suddenly they become a defense that teams take notice of.

Messier
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM

No, he's not.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I tend to agree that a guy like Franklin improves this defense dramatically.
WITH Gregg? Suddenly they become a defense that teams take notice of.

Just having continuity on defense with Crennel as the DC makes this defense better. More than likely a top 10 defense this year, despite the fact that we play some damn good offenses.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
No, he's not.

When he wants to be, he is.

And I'm still not convinced that his 2010 downturn wasn't due moreso to his holdout than him not caring anymore.

LVNHACK
And here the discussion turned to the latest free agent rumors now that the NAMBLA lockout has ended.

lol, keg...is the signing an upgrade ?....yeah

And the rest of the post was kind of an inside to milk...

Mr. Arrowhead
No, he's not.

This, he may be top 10, but no way hes top 5

stevieray
07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

And the rest of the post was kind of an inside to milk...whoa dude!

how the heck ya doin?

milkman
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM

And the rest of the post was kind of an inside to milk...

I got it.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I think the impact that Gregg has on this defense is going to be far more that you expect.

I also think this team's identity on defense will be forged by Eric Berry and Tamba Hali.

At 35, I worry that not as much as we think.

Signing Franklin is a huge win-win. The only loss is that we sink a bunch of upfront money... but we have the cap space early on to do that.

If Franklin is the guy we saw in 2009, he's an upgrade over Gregg (at this age, at least). If that's the case, Gregg becomes quality depth at NT and DE. Arguably, could be a full-time starter at DE. I think it's absolutely a chance worth taking. The D-line needs depth and this is a great way to do it.

Messier
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
When he wants to be, he is.

Then I don't want him. When I want to players are usually in don't want to mode.

milkman
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Then I don't want him. When I want to players are usually in don't want to mode.

I'm with you.

I've seen nothing from Franklin that makes me swoon at the thought of adding him like it seems to with zilla.

mcaj22
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Raji
Cody
Wilfork
Ratliff
Hampton
Rubin
Paul Soliali
Sione Pouha
Dan Williams
Kyle Williams

all guys I'd rather have at NT over Franklin. So no, I certainly wouldnt put Franklin at top 5 at his position. Some guys I named are young players with high upside that have yet to be proven like Franklin (Rubin, Dan Williams, Cody) but they have shown enough flash and have the youth to anchor NT on their teams for years.

as for guys like Wilfork, Ratliff, Raji, Soliali, Hampton.... Franklin is not better than these guys

Messier
07-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Chester McGlockton was a when I want to player. How'd that work out?

DJ's left nut

Prepared to play with a 40 man roster?

There are very few of those kinds of players in the NFL, as much as it pains anyone to admit it. It's the job of the coaches to get consistent effort out of players as very few of them are truly self-starters.

If Haley can't do that, find someone that can. If, OTOH, you have faith in Haley to motivate someone like Franklin (and I do), Franklin is exactly the kind of guy you want.

keg in kc
At 35, I worry that not as much as we think.

Signing Franklin is a huge win-win. The only loss is that we sink a bunch of upfront money... but we have the cap space early on to do that.

If Franklin is the guy we saw in 2009, he's an upgrade over Gregg (at this age, at least). If that's the case, Gregg becomes quality depth at NT and DE. Arguably, could be a full-time starter at DE. I think it's absolutely a chance worth taking. The D-line needs depth and this is a great way to do it.Historically speaking, signing defensive tackles to major free agent deals almost always blows up in the new teams' faces.

Could it be a positive move? Sure. But odds are he's going to be Chester McWilliams with his new team, whoever it ends up being (and for all I know, it could still end up being KC).

Messier
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Prepared to play with a 40 man roster?

There are very few of those kinds of players in the NFL, as much as it pains anyone to admit it. It's the job of the coaches to get consistent effort out of players as very few of them are truly self-starters.

If Haley can't do that, find someone that can. If, OTOH, you have faith in Haley to motivate someone like Franklin (and I do), Franklin is exactly the kind of guy you want.

He could be, but I really think Gregg is more of a self starter than most. He could be a player teammates look to, and, for this season, I think he'll be more productive than Franklin would have been.

LVNHACK
07-31-2011, 08:58 PM
whoa dude!

how the heck ya doin?

I'm doing good....how abt you ?

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Raji
Cody
Wilfork
Ratliff
Hampton
Rubin
Paul Soliali
Sione Pouha
Dan Williams
Kyle Williams

all guys I'd rather have at NT over Franklin. So no, I certainly wouldnt put Franklin at top 5 at his position. Some guys I named are young players with high upside that have yet to be proven like Franklin (Rubin, Dan Williams, Cody) but they have shown enough flash and have the youth to anchor NT on their teams for years.

as for guys like Wilfork, Ratliff, Raji, Soliali, Hampton.... Franklin is not better than these guys

Wilfork
Ratliff
Hampton
Raji
Maybe Kyle Williams

Solilai is absolutely not better than Franklin when Franklin is playing at the top of his game. Not even close.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
This is one of the few positions where I can actually see that happening.

I hope so, Mic.

teedubya
07-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Is there a Brandon Manning or Brandon Brady that we could sign?

BossChief
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Good pickup.

I bet Williams is gonna be gone, too.

Micah Johnson and Siler should be the backups.

JMO

Lets see how it plays out.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
http://forums.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=113623

They're not happy about losing Siler.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 10:08 PM

:D

And that makes me happy

DJ's left nut
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM

I wouldn't be happy to see Belcher go to SD either; that doesn't mean it's a true game-changer.

Though the Chargers shouldn't be happy about this - Siler will absolutely help us. He does seem somewhat redundant, though. I still don't see a good coverage backer on this squad to help us out against teams that have a nice intermediate passing game.

Can you imagine how badly we're going to get dink and dunked against the Pats? I guess we're relying on DJ to step up another notch and Studebaker to help cover some of the ground that Vrabel proved so incapable of covering last season.

Dave Lane
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't be happy to see Belcher go to SD either; that doesn't mean it's a true game-changer.

Though the Chargers shouldn't be happy about this - Siler will absolutely help us. He does seem somewhat redundant, though. I still don't see a good coverage backer on this squad to help us out against teams that have a nice intermediate passing game.

Can you imagine how badly we're going to get dink and dunked against the Pats? I guess we're relying on DJ to step up another notch and Studebaker to help cover some of the ground that Vrabel proved so incapable of covering last season.

That's actually one of Silers strengths. For a inside backer he has some speed and coverage skills

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
That's actually one of Silers strengths. For a inside backer he has some speed and coverage skills

You are the ONLY person who I've seen say that. Are you sure you know what you're looking at? Not trying to be a smart ass, it's a serious question.

kysirsoze
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM

This is in direct contradiction with anything else I've read.

MoreLemonPledge
07-31-2011, 10:24 PM
On that SD board they mentioned his "goal line presence" more than once. I found that interesting...

RustShack
07-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I've heard hes fast and athletic. But I also hear he needs a lot of work in coverage. Run stuffer and play maker have been the main things I've heard about him though. And that he fell in the draft because of a slow 40.

MoreLemonPledge
07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I've heard hes fast and athletic. But I also hear he needs a lot of work in coverage. Run stuffer and play maker have been the main things I've heard about him though. And that he fell in the draft because of a slow 40.

Nah, he fell because of attitude concerns. Rumor is he got a first day grade, which is why he declared for the draft early.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Nah, he fell because of attitude concerns. Rumor is he got a first day grade, which is why he declared for the draft early.

This.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 10:51 PM
You want insight to how Siler is?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Je8nKPenAus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NSFW Language.

Not that this tells you everything, but it gives you an idea.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2011, 11:48 PM

You are the ONLY person who I've seen say that. Are you sure you know what you're looking at? Not trying to be a smart ass, it's a serious question.

Uh...this.

I've not seen a single positive reference to his cover skills. Further, I remember him laying the load a time or two against us, but never really doing much in coverage.

I'd love to be corrected, but I've not found much positive feedback re: his coverage skills.

Dave Lane
08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Hmmm maybe it was someone else I was reading about then. Whoever it was had good speed and graded well against the pass and the run. It's what I get for getting no sleep taking pictures of white dots in the sky :)

Micjones
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
You want insight to how Siler is?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Je8nKPenAus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NSFW Language.

Not that this tells you everything, but it gives you an idea.

This told me nothing... Well other than the fact that people have a strange fascination with what football players do when they aren't...well...playing football.

Got any videos of him taking a shit?

johnny961
08-01-2011, 12:18 AM
This told me nothing... Well other than the fact that people have a strange fascination with what football players do when they aren't...well...playing football.

Got any videos of him taking a shit?

ROFL

Silock
08-01-2011, 12:26 AM
We should call our Brandons the "Killer B's."

MoreLemonPledge
08-01-2011, 12:28 AM
We should call our Brandons the "Killer B's."

:LOL::LOL:

CoMoChief
08-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Nice pickup. Even if it's for a backup spot.

The guy's better than our current backups....so why not?