PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tyson Jackson eager to make a splash

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Tyson Jackson eager to make a splash
(http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/31/3049170/jackson-eager-to-make-a-splash.html)
ST. JOSEPH | Chiefs defensive end Tyson Jackson, who has underachieved during his first two NFL seasons after being the No. 3 overall draft pick in 2009, admitted Sunday that his third season is important for him.

Jackson had 31 combined tackles and one sack last year, but the 25-year-old former LSU standout was relegated mostly to a backup role after suffering a knee injury in the regular-season opener. By the time he was healthy, Shaun Smith was playing on most rush downs, and Wallace Gilberry lined up at end in pass-rush situations.

“I have to step up big this year, which I’m pretty sure I will do,” Jackson said after Sunday’s morning walkthrough. “Stopping the run, put pressure on passing — I mean, everything.

“I’ve got to go out and produce just as well as everyone else.”

The thing is, Jackson is rarely graded the same as everyone else. As the Chiefs’ highest draft pick since Neil Smith was selected at No. 2 in 1988, Jackson was seen as a potential playmaker on Kansas City’s defense. Instead, Jackson has 46 solo tackles and one sack in two seasons.

Jackson has three years left on a contract that guaranteed him $31 million.

Asked Sunday if, two years later, he feels the pressure of that contract and of being such a high draft pick, Jackson said he ignores outsiders’ expectations. Still, he said he hasn’t met his own expectations.

“I just hold myself accountable to a much higher standard than everyone else does,” he said, “so my production is the most important thing to me.”

Jackson said he’s in “pretty good shape,” adding that he still has work to do before he’ll be conditioned enough for the season. He said he hopes to avoid injuries, and he’ll try to replicate whatever he did in that season opener — before the injury — in which he had six tackles.

Smith signed this past week with Tennessee, but the Chiefs added Allen Bailey in the third round of April’s draft. Bailey, who went to Miami, could compete with Jackson on the left side or with Glenn Dorsey on the right.

Jackson said that entering his third training camp he’s hopeful that this could be his breakout season.

“I’m pretty sure I can do better at all aspects of my game,” he said, “but I’ve still got a long way to go.”

HOUSTON STILL NOT

Third-round pick Justin Houston, who was expected to compete with Andy Studebaker for the outside linebacker spot opposite Tamba Hali, remained unsigned Sunday.

The Chiefs had signed all eight of their other draft picks by Friday.

Reached by telephone Sunday, Houston’s agent, Joel Segal, said he wouldn’t discuss the delay in getting his client’s contract finalized.

The Chiefs don’t discuss unsigned players, but speaking generally, coach Todd Haley indicated that any rookie missing practice time would be at a significant disadvantage — particularly after the NFL lockout prevented players from participating in offseason practice and the annual rookie minicamp.

“Though always a really steep learning curve,” Haley said, “I do believe it to be a steeper one for (rookies) this year. “They’ve missed a lot of what they might’ve had in the past. We’ve got to find a way to make it work.”

The 6-foot-3, 258-pound linebacker had 10 sacks and 44 hurries as a junior at Georgia in 2010.

GILBERRY SIGNS TENDER

The Chiefs announced Sunday night that defensive end Wallace Gilberry has signed his restricted free-agent tender. Gilberry, who is 6-feet-2 and 268 pounds, had seven sacks a year ago for the Chiefs. He also made 23 tackles.

In his three seasons with the Chiefs, Gilberry has played in 37 regular-season games and made two starts.

Gilberry has made 43 tackles (34 solo), had 111/2 sacks, 20 quarterback pressures, two passes defended, two forced fumbles and a pair of fumble recoveries.

baitism
08-01-2011, 12:51 AM
I could go for some Alex Gordon domination.

BossChief
08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
If he is able to take up where he left off during the first half of the Chargers MNF game and push it to another level, he will pay a critical role in this defense.

Top five overall type critical role?

no

first round draft pick type critical role?

absolutely.

Fritz88
08-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Houston. Where is you bro?
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
08-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Houston. Where is you bro?
Posted via Mobile DeviceMakes ya wonder what the deal is.

Like, did he show up to his signing with Pioli smelling of weed or something.

He is probably lighting one up right now.

there has to be something going on there.

Fritz88
08-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Makes ya wonder what the deal is.

Like, did he show up to his signing with Pioli smelling of weed or something.

He is probably lighting one up right now.

there has to be something going on there.

I think Pioli is a little relaxed this year about guys with character issues. It must be that he wants more money. The problem is there's not much that Pioli can do with the new CBA anyway even if he succumbed to Houston's demands.

I want him to be there regardless. He is a pure beast.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
08-01-2011, 03:11 AM
If TJ can play like he did in wk1 of last season, and if Gregg can hold down the NT position, this defense could be not only good, but great.

MoreLemonPledge
08-01-2011, 03:14 AM
http://www.noteme.com/images/thread/ROLF.jpg

HBKChiefs
08-01-2011, 03:51 AM
Problem is Tyson Jackson only played like he did in week 1 Last year IN WEEK 1! Regardless of injury. Why should we think or expect he might play like that all season now? I hope he does but I have my doubts.... I want Houston to sign on but Pioli ain't playing around which I'm OK with...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Jackson couldn't make a splash off a 10 foot diving board. He did look good in the season opener when it was raining and he kept slipping and falling on the runner.

the Talking Can
08-01-2011, 06:17 AM
“I’m pretty sure I can do better at all aspects of my game,” he said, “but I’ve still got a long way to go.”

that's really inspiring....