PDA

View Full Version : Weather Lightning + Water = Bad? Who Knew?

4th and Long
08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Lightning Strikes 3, Kills 1 On Canoe Trip

Highway Patrol Says Weather Forced 3 Out Of Canoe, Into Water

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A small group on a river float trip was struck by lightning on Saturday, killing one.

The Missouri Water Patrol said all three were on the Gasconade River about 2 p.m. and got out of their canoe and into the water because of the weather. Lightning hit all three, killing Lindsay A. Smith, 20, of Lebanon, Mo.

The Highway Patrol did not have conditions on the other two.

Dartgod
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow. I was down at Bennett Springs this weekend and we were fishing in the Niuangua River when a thunderstorm came through. We were going to stick it out as long as possible until a couple of lightening strikes hit pretty close. We got the fuck out of there and into my truck real fast!

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Mother Nature has eliminated one moron from the gene pool. Possibly two more...

DMAC
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Wow. I was down at Bennett Springs this weekend and we were fishing in the Niuangua River when a thunderstorm came through. We were going to stick it out as long as possible until a couple of lightening strikes hit pretty close. We got the fuck out of there and into my truck real fast!

I took my kids there to see the spring. I might have seen ya amongst the eleventy BILLION anglers that were there.

Brock
08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Mother Nature has eliminated one moron from the gene pool. Possibly two more...

Ass.

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Ass.

Meh. Getting into the water during a lightning storms exhibits stupidity to me. We aren't talking about kids here.

Brock
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Meh. Getting into the water during a lightning storms exhibits stupidity to me. We aren't talking about kids here.

Yeah, we're talking about a worldly, experienced, 20 year old girl. SHE DESERVED IT!!

Rain Man
08-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I was caught walking during a lightning storm last month, and I have to say it was a little scary to have lightning so close overhead. It was doing this little flash flood so I was walking in ankle-deep water, and I was pondering what my vulnerable radius was. Obviously lightning directly hitting me would be bad, but I wasn't a particularly large target. Trees near me could get hit, and I've read about the lightning then traveling down the tree and nailing nearby people, so that was another risk factor. But what about that ankle-deep water? What would have have to get hit, and how far away, before it would fry me in the water?

This is a serious question, by the way. If lightning would've hit a street pole a block away, for example, how far would the lightning travel through the water to zap me?

Dave Lane
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Lightning can go up to 1/4 mile underground depending on soil conditions.

Goldmember
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
"Lightning kills more people than tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, or any other kind of bad weather. But because lightning usually kills people one at a time, it tends to be underrated as a hazard."

I see people out walking their dogs, jogging, etc. during thunderstorms. Darwinism.

http://www.ucar.edu/communications/factsheets/Lightning.html

Dayze
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Wow. I was down at Bennett Springs this weekend and we were fishing in the Niuangua River when a thunderstorm came through. We were going to stick it out as long as possible until a couple of lightening strikes hit pretty close. We got the **** out of there and into my truck real fast!

we were in Eminence/Alley Spring a week ago and got a huge storm rolled through.

afterwards, we packed up and headed out. LONG drive home after being on Jacks Fork for 8 hours.

tooge
08-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Holy shit. I was canoeing the N. fork of the white river saturday with my son. We were fishin and had a huge storm come up on us real fast. Lots of rain and lots of lightning. We stayed in the canoe (plastic) and kept paddlin cuz i figured it wasn't gonna be any safter standing out in the open all wet on the bank or under a tree. Probably rained an inch in a half hour while we paddled our asses off.

thebrad84
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, we're talking about a worldly, experienced, 20 year old girl. SHE DESERVED IT!!

Well, at 20 years old, you should be well aware of the fact that lightning and water don't mix. Pretty sure most have a good grasp of that concept by then anyways.

Bump
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
you mess with the lightning, you get the bolt

thebrad84
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
The Missouri Water Patrol said all three were on the Gasconade River about 2 p.m. and got out of their canoe and into the water because of the weather. Lightning hit all three, killing Lindsay A. Smith, 20, of Lebanon, Mo.

Any one else confused by that rationale? I understand the current may have picked up a bit, by why would you get out of a canoe (presumably made of wood or heavy plastic) and get in to the water during a lightning storm?

DMAC
08-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Eh, being that she was on a float trip and 20...she was more than likely drunk.

So she probably doesnt remember anything.

penguinz
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Any one else confused by that rationale? I understand the current may have picked up a bit, by why would you get out of a canoe (presumably made of wood or heavy plastic) and get in to the water during a lightning storm?:spock: I am pretty sure 99.9% of all canoes today are not made out of wood.

Either way they were more than likely fucked. It is very hard to use a canoe without it getting wet so chances are they still would have received the shock.

toomuch fun
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM

It would help if someone could learn to read the story before they post about it! They got OUT of the water onto a gravel bar. She DIDNT deserve it! I'd say you don't know her or anything about her so why make rude comments about someone who died!

toomuch fun
08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A small group on a river float trip was struck by lightning on Saturday, killing one.

They Got OUT of the water and onto a gravel bar! Try reading the story right before you post it!

MOhillbilly
08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
oooorrrrrlllyyyy...lol

penguinz
08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
They Got OUT of the water and onto a gravel bar! Try reading the story right before you post it!Where does that article mention a gravel bar?

All it says is they got out of the canoe and into the water.

https://img.skitch.com/20110801-83b8w45u6jfpgpy1thinhgcrh2.png

Gonzo
08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
They Got OUT of the water and onto a gravel bar! Try reading the story right before you post it!

End well for you, this will not....

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e0/Yoda_SWSB.jpg

KCHawg
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
It would help if someone could learn to read the story before they post about it! They got OUT of the water onto a gravel bar. She DIDNT deserve it! I'd say you don't know her or anything about her so why make rude comments about someone who died!

ROFL

tooge
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM

mods need to change this guys name to Toomuchweed

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Easy chief. I didn't say she deserved it. I'm just saying she didn't show much common sense. Neither did the other two darwin-candidates with her.

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Eh, being that she was on a float trip and 20...she was more than likely drunk.

So she probably doesnt remember anything.

LMAO

DMAC
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Easy chief. I didn't say she deserved it. I'm just saying she didn't show much common sense. Neither did the other two darwin-candidates with her.

Im guessing they were in an aluminum canoe and got scared and jumped out.

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Friend of the deceased? Message boards and comment sections are not the best place to be when something like this happens.

Especially when the person or people mentioned in the article display such a moment of brilliance. I'm shocked they all didn't die

rageeumr
08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I see people out walking their dogs, jogging, etc. during thunderstorms. Darwinism.

I went out for an 8 mile run last week (Wednesday I think). Before I left I checked the hourly report on weather.com. 10% chance of rain for the next 3 hours, then it jumped to 50%. Nothing but a couple of tiny blips on the radar.

I did my 4 miles out, turned around and saw nothing but black in front of me. I had lightning on 3 sides of me for the last 2 miles home. Luckily nothing got real close and I didn't even get a drop of rain.

Short version of the story: it's pretty damn easy to get caught out in weather, even if you try to plan accordingly. I've been caught in rainstorms at least 3 times in the last month.

Brock
08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I went out for an 8 mile run last week (Wednesday I think). Before I left I checked the hourly report on weather.com. 10% chance of rain for the next 3 hours, then it jumped to 50%. Nothing but a couple of tiny blips on the radar.

I did my 4 miles out, turned around and saw nothing but black in front of me. I had lightning on 3 sides of me for the last 2 miles home. Luckily nothing got real close and I didn't even get a drop of rain.

Short version of the story: it's pretty damn easy to get caught out in weather, even if you try to plan accordingly. I've been caught in rainstorms at least 3 times in the last month.

Exactly. There are apparently some dumbasses posting here who don't understand that weather changes, sometimes very rapidly.

4th and Long
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Any one else confused by that rationale? I understand the current may have picked up a bit, by why would you get out of a canoe (presumably made of wood or heavy plastic) and get in to the water during a lightning storm?
That was kind of the premise of whole thread there, sport.

RockChalk
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Exactly. There are apparently some dumbasses posting here who don't understand that weather changes, sometimes very rapidly.

Oh I get the fact that you can be caught in a storm all of a sudden. I don't get why you'd dive into the water with lightning all around you.

Gonzo
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Oh I get the fact that you can be caught in a storm all of a sudden. I don't get why you'd dive into the water with lightning all around you.

I know, that's shocking behavior...

CaliforniaChief
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
It's been awhile since a Bolt did any damage in Missouri.

DMAC
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Aluminum canoe, drunkenness, and panic.

Dartgod
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I took my kids there to see the spring. I might have seen ya amongst the eleventy BILLION anglers that were there.
I only ventured into the park once to get something from the store there. We did all of our fishing in the river. Caught over 40 trout in 2-1/2 days.

Valiant
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Come jog in the northland. I need rain.

Goldmember
08-03-2011, 06:36 AM

What some of the dumbasses on this board don't realize is that I see my neighbors START their walk, jog, whatever, when lightning is already in the sky.

rglassman
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
She was not drunk. It was an aluminum canoe. This does not make them stupid most would panic