PDA

View Full Version : Football Ryan Mathews fails conditioning test.

arrowheadnation
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Don't we play these guys first? Looks like we have a new Haynesworth. Just didn't expect it to be a running back. My apologies if already posted.

----------------------------------------------

When he'd finished running on the field, a good 15 minutes after his teammates had come in from practice, Ryan Mathews entered the locker room on Friday evening.

A few steps inside, a veteran teammate asked Mathews a casual yet loaded question, accompanied by a smile that was more of a smirk.

“You all right?”

Mathews, still breathing heavily, quickly replied that he was.

It's been a rough couple days for Mathews, who was unable to finish Wednesday's conditioning test, prompting incessant teasing (and some incredulity) from teammates.

Mathews, as he did the challenges that pockmarked his rookie season, has faced this latest struggle straight on, without excuse.

“My cardio is real good; I don’t get tired,” Mathews said. “It’s the speed work. I haven’t been doing much speed work like that. There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs.”

Mathews showed up to some of this spring’s Philip Rivers-organized workouts, including the week in June that players considered to be like a minicamp. But he had to pull out of what many Chargers described as fairly easy conditioning drills on the first day of camp.

To atone, Mathews has been doing extra running after practices and said he will continue to do so as long as necessary.

“It’s making sure I’m accountable for what I didn’t get done in the offseason,” Mathews said. “It’s my legs. If you want the ball 20-25 times a game, it’s about having the legs.”

Whatever slow start to camp he is enduring – and any fitness issue has been virtually undetectable in practice as he takes his reps with the first team – Mathews insists he is wiser and stronger for having endured a disappointing rookie season in which he was slowed by a high ankle sprain suffered in the season’s second game and also burdened by the weight of expectations.

“I had to deal with the pressure of expectations I’d rush for 2,000 yards and go to the Pro Bowl,” Mathews said. “It was a lot on my back – being the first-round pick, coming in after LT. As much as you try to not let it get to you, it does.

“Being able to have the offseason and get (the ankle) back to 100 percent, I feel like I did when I first came in. It’s going to be a good year ... I can play with these guys. Coming into this year I know a lot more than I did at the end of last season.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/30/mathews-struggles-conditioning/

Saul Good
08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Mathews, as he did the challenges that pockmarked his rookie season, has faced this latest struggle straight on, without excuse.

If there's one thing that Norv will not tolerate, it's a pockmark.

NaptownChief
08-01-2011, 08:16 PM

:bravo:

CoMoChief
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
But.......he had an outstanding rookie season!!!

ROFL, Chargers have been drafting like shit ever since Marty left. This season especially...

Their window is closing rapidly, and may already be closed....but with Rivers I guess they'll always have a chance.

Denver is a giant shit-show of a mess as a franchise. The only team I see the Chiefs having troubles with is Oakland sadly enough....Haley is 1-3 against a team that's had it's fair share of QB problems.....man if they'd get a QB that's worth a shit that team would be very dangerous.

The only team in that division that seems to be improving is KC, which means I think if we continue to improve we may make a run in this division for years to come, like we did in the 90's.

wazu
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
How do you ever reach a point where you actually "pull out" of conditioning drills? In high school the only way you would pull something like that off would be to literally vomit on the field, or pass out and die. Why doesn't he just do them sloppily and slow like everybody else?

Oh, and I don't think this qualifies as "failing conditioning test" unless they are not letting him participate in practice.

NaptownChief
08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
The only team I see the Chiefs having troubles with is Oakland sadly enough.....

But then you realize they ARE Oakland and quickly dismiss them knowing they will figure out how to self-destruct.

sd4chiefs
08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I wonder how the local paper in San Diego will sugar coat this?

Spicy McHaggis
08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I wonder how the local paper in San Diego will sugar coat this?

"Mathews Saving His Legs for the Season"

KcMizzou
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Denver is a giant shit-show of a mess as a franchise. The only team I see the Chiefs having troubles with is Oakland sadly enough....Haley is 1-3 against a team that's had it's fair share of QB problems.....man if they'd get a QB that's worth a shit that team would be very dangerous.
Unfortunately, it sounds like they're already starting to sour on Tebow. I read that Orton's getting all the first team snaps.

KcMizzou
08-01-2011, 08:39 PM
How do you ever reach a point where you actually "pull out" of conditioning drills? In high school the only way you would pull something like that off would be to literally vomit on the field, or pass out and die. Why doesn't he just do them sloppily and slow like everybody else?

Oh, and I don't think this qualifies as "failing conditioning test" unless they are not letting him participate in practice.This. And what kinda coach lets the guy quit? Unless it's a "get the hell off my field" situation.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Awesome! Just awesome. And Oakland is losing the best corner in the league and one of the best tight end. And who is their head coach now ????? We still own this division at least.

Saul Good
08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
So San Diego has a Running Back who can't run, and Denver has a Quarterback who can't quarter...err...throw. I like our chances.

-King-
08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Well he's still going to put up 300 yards RUSHING against the Chiefs /DaneMcCloud

Easy 6
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I dont care how many player managed practices they've had, SD is a team on the decline.

They've lost too much & it will start showing this year, bye Norv.

RealSNR
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
The Chargers are lucky they have Mike Tolbert. He's a fucking beast.

Matthews = bust

Reerun_KC
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Matthews is still tired from installing a permanent beatdown KC during last years opening night game...

I remember reading it hear that we couldnt stop this guy and he was going to go off for a 150+ and 3 tds...

milkman
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
ROFL, Chargers have been drafting like shit ever since Marty left. This season especially...

Marty never had a voice in the Chargers drafts, which was the root of all the personal issues between Marty and AJ Smith.

08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately, it sounds like they're already starting to sour on Tebow. I read that Orton's getting all the first team snaps.
I've got a buddy that swears Tebow will be the second coming of Elway. ROFL

nascher
08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
But AJ Smith really lost his "magic" the last years. Maybe it wasnt AJ Smith alone before ?

Okie_Apparition
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
The Chargers are a team that knows how to draft well. Matthews will be eating the Chiefs lunch for a decade/MIA

KcMizzou
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I've got a buddy that swears Tebow will be the second coming of Elway. ROFLI had no idea you and Knomo were that tight.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM

ROFL

Mama Hip Rockets
08-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Remember when all the Chargers fans thought this guy would run away with the rookie of the year award last year?

Valiant
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I've got a buddy that swears Tebow will be the second coming of Elway. ROFL

How many times has he said it on each QB they have had since??

Rain Man
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I admit, when I saw the highlight films of his college days, I was concerned. Fortunately, it appears that he's not ready for the big leagues.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Matthews is still tired from installing a permanent beatdown KC during last years opening night game...

I remember reading it hear that we couldnt stop this guy and he was going to go off for a 150+ and 3 tds...

Good times. I remember when the Niners were going to deliver killshots and end careers at Arrowhead as well.

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-02-2011, 06:02 AM

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

ModSocks
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
“I had to deal with the pressure of expectations I’d rush for 2,000 yards and go to the Pro Bowl,” Mathews said. “It was a lot on my back – being the first-round pick, coming in after LT. As much as you try to not let it get to you, it does.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/30/mathews-struggles-conditioning/

ROFL

Really Ryan? That's your excuse? People were expecting you to rush for 2,000 yards?

JFC :facepalm:

Chief Faithful
08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Ryan "Hall of Fame" Matthews doesn't need to be ready for the preseason. He follows the Lawrence Taylor guide to conditioning.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Remember when all the CPers fans thought this guy would run away with the rookie of the year award last year?

FYP

jspchief
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I'll never understand where the hype for this guy came from. The media has been hanging from his ballsack since week 1 and I have no idea why.

the Talking Can
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs.”

yeah...a RB isn't going to 'get' his legs in training camp...that's strength work in the offseason that is used to carry you through the season...Priest Holmes was a fanatic about that

i bet he's smoked about 8-10 games in....interesting to watch

Brock
08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
BUST

Red Coater
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Don't know if anyone knows but A. Gates is on the PUP list. Same injury as last year chargers concerned that it hasn't healed yet. That's a good sign since we play them early in the season

milkman
08-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Don't know if anyone knows but A. Gates is on the PUP list. Same injury as last year chargers concerned that it hasn't healed yet. That's a good sign since we play them early in the season

Most players placed on the PUP list at the start of TC are there simply as a precationary measure.

I wouldn't get too excited about this news.

Red Coater
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Yea that's true. He still can't shake the foot injury from last year. That's a long time to have a injury. Hopefully it will slow him down. I just wish It was Rivers. He seems never to get hurt.