PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Versus to be re-branded as NBC Sports Network

ChiefsCountry
08-02-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/08/01/versus-to-be-re-branded-as-nbc-sports-network/

We might have a challenger to ESPN coming.

rageeumr
08-02-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/08/01/versus-to-be-re-branded-as-nbc-sports-network/

We might have a challenger to ESPN coming.

I'd say it's more likely that we have a challenger to FSN coming.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
ESPN isnt that great of a sports channel anymore... They are oversaturated with garbage hype and less about the sports reporting itself...

rageeumr
08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
If I remember right, they were already using the NBC Sports branding on Versus during the Tour de France coverage.

The Bad Guy
08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Just as long as they bring back the NBA on NBC theme music, I'm happy.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
That could be pretty awesome, actually.

But yeah, they'll have to challenge FSN before they get to ESPN. ESPN has slipped considerably, but they still more money than God and can still snap up the rights to almost anything they want.

They're a giant and it will take a heck of a long time for an NBC Sports network to catch them. This should make FSN sweat, but ESPN has some breathing room still.

Predarat
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Hope this means more Hockery!

Deberg_1990
08-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I like all the "mini/niche" sports networks now like NFL Network, MLB, NBA, Big Ten Network, etc....

ESPN is what it is....The Entertainment Tonight of Sports.

keg in kc
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
It's NBC. They'll be lucky to compete with the CBS college network.

Bowser
08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
New lexicon word - Hockery

Dayze
08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
hopefully it'll be a good alternative to ESPN.

ESPN blows. Aside from the 30:30 stuff, and Sunday Countdown etc...

Bearcat
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
It's NBC. They'll be lucky to compete with the CBS college network.

They used to be pretty clueless on all sports coverage, but it seems like it's gotten better... and it should be good for the NHL.

And I love CBS College Sports... it's the only place I can find college hockey on tv, outside of the Frozen Four (well, until the Big 10 starts their own league in a couple of years and starts showing games on their network).

mnchiefsguy
08-02-2011, 11:09 AM
They used to be pretty clueless on all sports coverage, but it seems like it's gotten better... and it should be good for the NHL.

And I love CBS College Sports... it's the only place I can find college hockey on tv, outside of the Frozen Four (well, until the Big 10 starts their own league in a couple of years and starts showing games on their network).

Any details on this Big10 hockey league, or is it just speculation? Minnesota is a hockey powerhouse (although the last four years there have been very sub-par), and I don't see them wanting to leave behind their rivals in WCHA, particularly North Dakota, St. Cloud St., and MN Mankato. They hate those guys way more than Michigan or Michigan State.

vailpass
08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Good name change.

Bearcat
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Any details on this Big10 hockey league, or is it just speculation? Minnesota is a hockey powerhouse (although the last four years there have been very sub-par), and I don't see them wanting to leave behind their rivals in WCHA, particularly North Dakota, St. Cloud St., and MN Mankato. They hate those guys way more than Michigan or Michigan State.

The Big 10 hockey league was announced a month or two ago... Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are all leaving their current conferences in 2013, and Penn State is starting a program.

Along with that, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota, Colorado College, MN Duluth, Denver, and Miami-Ohio are forming their own league.

Before any of that was officially announced, St. Cloud State said they would stick with the WCHA regardless of what happened, but I'm wondering if they're rethinking that... I'd like to see them move to the new conference. I think Notre Dame is still deciding what to do.

There have been other moves recently... I think Northern Michigan has moved to the WCHA, and the other Alaska school might, too.

You can find a lot of info and links at ndgoon.blogspot.com.

ChiefsCountry
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Big Ten hockey is happening. They broke off and the other top WCHA schools broke off as well.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
hopefully it'll be a good alternative to ESPN.

ESPN blows. Aside from the 30:30 stuff, and Sunday Countdown etc...

Actually Sunday countdown blows anymore... Its normally a full on slob fest of some like Farve...

NFL network has a better pre game...

Hell even the normal networks have a better pregame than Berman and his tired ass antics...

Predarat
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I do not get to watch alot of college hockery, but if they bring the frozen four hockery tourney to Nashville, I may get into it more.

Dayze
08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Actually Sunday countdown blows anymore... Its normally a full on slob fest of some like Farve...

NFL network has a better pre game...

Hell even the normal networks have a better pregame than Berman and his tired ass antics...

yeah, I reluctantly included that one.

Berman needs to hang it up. and Ditka is horrible. Shockingly, the only person I can stand to listen to on that pre-game is Keyshawn....never thought I'd see the day when I'd say that.

JD10367
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
If they take Versus off the pay tier, they can compete with ESPN, sure. But on my cable network, ESPN and FSN are part of the basic cable, whereas Versus is an extra fee (just like NFL Network).

mnchiefsguy
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
The Big 10 hockey league was announced a month or two ago... Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are all leaving their current conferences in 2013, and Penn State is starting a program.

Along with that, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota, Colorado College, MN Duluth, Denver, and Miami-Ohio are forming their own league.

Before any of that was officially announced, St. Cloud State said they would stick with the WCHA regardless of what happened, but I'm wondering if they're rethinking that... I'd like to see them move to the new conference. I think Notre Dame is still deciding what to do.

There have been other moves recently... I think Northern Michigan has moved to the WCHA, and the other Alaska school might, too.

You can find a lot of info and links at ndgoon.blogspot.com.

Thanks for the info and the link. One of the few things I miss about Minneapolis was being able to watch a lot of college hockey. Will check out the link.

Deberg_1990
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
If they take Versus off the pay tier, they can compete with ESPN, sure. But on my cable network, ESPN and FSN are part of the basic cable, whereas Versus is an extra fee (just like NFL Network).

NOt sure what provider you have, but they are on basic cable channels (Non Pay tier) with some.

Bowser
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM

VERSUS is free here. So take your championship teams and blow it out your nor'eastern asses. IN YOUR FACE, BOSTON!

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Wow, and here I thought they'd never have more low-rent looking branding than "Versus."

NBC Sports is like code for garbage.

CoMoChief
08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Just as long as they bring back the NBA on NBC theme music, I'm happy.

a john tesh fan are ya??? ROFL

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
yeah, I reluctantly included that one.

Berman needs to hang it up. and Ditka is horrible. Shockingly, the only person I can stand to listen to on that pre-game is Keyshawn....never thought I'd see the day when I'd say that.

Put Keyshawn on NFL Network instead of Irvin and they'd be about perfect.

I really do like him a lot on there. Irvin, OTOH, is just a blowhard at this point. He's essentially the Joe Morgan of football announcers.

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Keyshawn is pretty great, defs.

I don't watch foosball coverage basically ever outside of games and the draft, but my Pats fan roommate was watching NFLN and I actually found Irvin to be more tolerable (and correct) than Warren Sapp in the few minutes I watched. Possibly an outlier. vOv

Chief Roundup
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
New lexicon word - Hockery

What ever happened to the "Lexicon" and the poster that always through that stuff up. It has been so long that I am not sure who it was that always used that.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Keyshawn is pretty great, defs.

I don't watch foosball coverage basically ever outside of games and the draft, but my Pats fan roommate was watching NFLN and I actually found Irvin to be more tolerable (and correct) than Warren Sapp in the few minutes I watched. Possibly an outlier. vOv

Irvin just has a tendency to get all Tom Jackson on you.

He gets damn haughty on fair occasion and starts being a preachy, pushy douchebag. I've hated Jackson for quite a long time because of that - it's essentially his default position. If you don't agree with him well fuck you, you didn't play, blah blah blah {angry stare}....

Irvin has that same simmering anger in him. Sapp doesn't and can still be very insightful.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
What ever happened to the "Lexicon" and the poster that always through that stuff up. It has been so long that I am not sure who it was that always used that.

He got throughn out.

keg in kc
08-02-2011, 02:55 PM

And I love CBS College Sports... it's the only place I can find college hockey on tv, outside of the Frozen Four (well, until the Big 10 starts their own league in a couple of years and starts showing games on their network).I actually like CBS college sports, too, I was just cracking on NBC.

Although it's mostly college football season that I like...

Hell, I'll watch pretty much any football. It's not unusual for ESPNU to be on here, showing South Alabama Baptist versus St. Mary's of the Poor.

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Irvin just has a tendency to get all Tom Jackson on you.

He gets damn haughty on fair occasion and starts being a preachy, pushy douchebag. I've hated Jackson for quite a long time because of that - it's essentially his default position. If you don't agree with him well fuck you, you didn't play, blah blah blah {angry stare}....

Irvin has that same simmering anger in him. Sapp doesn't and can still be very insightful.
Haaaate that.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 05:33 PM
First they got the NHL not they got MLS. Starting to slowly make a push for more sports.
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/10/3068525/mls-games-to-air-on-nbc-networks.html

Rams Fan
08-10-2011, 06:13 PM
First they got the NHL not they got MLS. Starting to slowly make a push for more sports.
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/10/3068525/mls-games-to-air-on-nbc-networks.html

They'll be ahead of FSN within the next 5 years.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 06:18 PM
They'll be ahead of FSN within the next 5 years.

FSN isn't who they are shooting for.

KCTitus
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM

It has been a long time...I must admit, I dont get around her much, so the Lexicon should be about 30 times larger.

You want The Lexicon? You got it!

1. Pissed Away - Any draft pick traded by KC
2. Wasted/Reach - Any draft pick used by KC to select a player
3. QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
4. QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC
5. Draft pick 'value' chart - A ruse by Carl planted in the media to 'justify' the Ryan Sims trade up in 2002.
6. Waste of Cap Dollars - Any FA that KC picks up
7. Cap Friendly Contract - Any contract signed by a FA to an NFL Franchise other than KC
8. Overpaid - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by KC
9. Good Cap Mgmt - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by any NFL franchise other than KC
10. Blind Homer - Any Chiefs fan that finds any 'good' value in any FA, draft pick, trade that KC makes. Can also include those who celebrate Chiefs victories during a losing season.
11. High on Pot/Heroine/Crack... - See Blind Homer.
12. The System - the reason why high quality players are cut from KC in favor of 'Waste of Cap Dollars' FA's or 'Wastes/Reaches'
13. High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC
14. College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
15. gloom, despair, agony on me - a thread bemoaning the end of the upcoming KC season that's over 3-9 months away or just prior to the seasons start.
16. Dont question my fandom! - the flame war that ensues after a blind homer/High on Crack/Pot/Heroine posts in a 'gloom, despair, agony on me' thread.
17. Agressive-win now approach - When any other NFL franchise other than KC signs a veteran FA.
18. Short-sighted - When KC signs a veteran FA.
19. NFL Caliber Talent - something KC does not have, especially at 'key' positions, that all other NFL Franchises are teeming with.
20. Get Lucky - What caused FA, draft pick, traded player to have a 'good' season. b) Could also be the cause of a playoff win or SB win.
21. Good Season - Something that doesnt happen to the KC franchise.
22. Moron - Any of the numerous members of the Chiefs organization. Examples include: Dick Vermiel and Carl Peterson. b)Can also be used to identify a blind homer in a gloom, despair, agony on me thread
23. Winning the Lottery- What happens if a coach or player currently with KC had played in and won the SB with a another NFL franchise. This term will also be used to describe a KC SB winning season. See also 'Get Lucky'
24. The Profile - A mythical paradigm usually used as an excuse by the Chief's front office as a reason for not signing an impact free agent in their continued attempt to keep the team mediocre and fill the seats of Arrowhead stadium.
25. Prolific Success - KC going .500 with Gunther and or Marty
26. Decent Contract Offer - A contract not offered by Carl to sign a player in time for Training Camp. See Also Overpaid
27. Attempting to get better - Any FA signing by any NFL club other than KC. See also Agressive-win now approach
28. Genious - Any Internet BB poster who claims to know more about NFL talent evaluation, running an NFL franchise or playing in the NFL than those currently employed in the NFL.
29. Looser - The certified spelling of the commonly understood word 'Loser'. Extra 'o' is added for emphasis as to how big a loser receipient of said word really is.
30. Retart - The ChiefsPlanet spelling of the commonly understaood word 'Retard'. Replacing the 'd' with a 't' is added for emphasis as to how stupid recipient of said word really is.
31. Minion/Cannon Fodder - See Blind Homer.

Bugeater
08-10-2011, 07:23 PM
NOt sure what provider you have, but they are on basic cable channels (Non Pay tier) with some.
Versus, NFLN, and Big Ten Network are all on my basic package. Qwest fucking rocks.

JoeyChuckles
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
NBC Sunday night football is my favorite of all the broadcasts. Hopefully they can do well for futbol.

chefsos
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
It's a KCTitus sighting!

The Lexicon is well overdue for an overhaul, though.

ModSocks
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
It's a KCTitus sighting!

Yeah it does.

I don't see Penis Freckle in there anywhere....

KCTitus
08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
It's a KCTitus sighting!

I agree...and Im most ashamed at my lack of keeping up since, eh, about 2006...work and responsibilities have sapped my ability to keep up with the vibrant ChiefsPlanet genious.

Bowser
08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree...and Im most ashamed at my lack of keeping up since, eh, about 2006...work and responsibilities have sapped my ability to keep up with the vibrant ChiefsPlanet genious.

That's horseshit. You need to get your priorities in order. [/CP genious retart moran]

Kyle DeLexus
08-10-2011, 08:26 PM
This isn't going to change PBR coverage at all is it?

KCTitus
08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
This isn't going to change PBR coverage at all is it?

Or the Tour de France?