Everyone is slipping away.

KurtCobain
08-02-2011, 08:24 PM
The fuck would he do that?

Mr. Laz
08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Broncos pick up Ty Warren

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 2, 2011, 10:07 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/t-warren2.jpg?w=160 APFor the second straight year, the Broncos are giving a recently released Patriots defensive lineman good money.
Denver just hopes Ty Warren (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1091) makes the team, unlike Jarvis Green last year.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Warren agreed to terms on a two-year, $10 million contract. $2.5 million is guaranteed. (It’s unclear if that’s Warren’s entire first year sum.)
While Warren struggled to stay healthy recently for the Patriots, he was one of the most unsung players for New England over the last decade. His play didn’t decline much when he was on the field.
The Broncos badly needed to add numbers to their defensive line, and they have done it in bulk in recent days with Warren, Marcus Thomas (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4364), Brodick Bunkley, and Derrick Harvey (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4626).

BossChief
08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I hope that hip is fucked.

Warren matching up with Richardson should be a good matchup to look forward to.

kysirsoze
08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Well the Broncos had to get a deal done eventually.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm sure Warren will play DT for Denver

Okie_Apparition
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Tebow will heal his broke dick. THen spit

wazu
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
If he turns out to be good again, then all it will do is keep Denver out of the Luck sweepstakes. If he turns out to suck, then HAHA!

BossChief
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I be the idea that he was headed to KC just scared the living shit out of them.

KurtCobain
08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Really sucks. He should've gone to texas. Fatass.

RedThat
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
This is hilarious.

CP before Warren signed with the Broncos: "I hope we(chiefs) sign him. A line of Dorsey, Gregg, and Warren would be pretty stout against the run."

CP after Warren signed with the Broncos: "I hope his hip is ****ed." LOL

KurtCobain
08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
This is hilarious.

CP before Warren signed with the Broncos: "I hope we(chiefs) sign him. A line of Dorsey, Gregg, and Warren would be pretty stout against the run."

I see nothing wrong with that.

What was stupid was the board going into meltdown friday when FA had been open 3 hours and we hadn't done anything. Duh.

Reerun_KC
08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
This is hilarious.

Typical CP... Its truly a :facepalm: memory we have here...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Guess he wants to lose

Deberg_1990
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
This is hilarious.

CP after Warren signed with the Broncos: "Hes a washed up broke dick" LOL

FYP

kysirsoze
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
This is hilarious.

Seems consistent to me. We hope he's good for us but not for the Broncos. What's confusing here?

RedThat
08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Seems consistent to me. We hope he's good for us but not for the Broncos. What's confusing here?

Nothing its just hilarious seeing how the pendulum can swing from potential like to instant hate.

kysirsoze
08-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Nothing its just hilarious seeing how the pendulum can swing from potential like to instant hate.

It's funny what signing on with a POS organization like the Broncos can do.

Okie_Apparition
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
There are 146 members viewing the forum at this time. If you add all those for & all those against you wouldn't come close to that number. & there are far more active posters than 146

KurtCobain
08-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I might instantly hate you if you don't feel the same way.

RedThat
08-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I might instantly hate you if you don't feel the same way.

Oh **** the Broncos and **** Ty Warren :D

KurtCobain
08-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Oh **** the Broncos and **** Ty Warren :D

I fucking love you.

Iowanian
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Well F him then.

Filthy Donkey bastard probably engages with coitus with persons of his same sex and shared dna.

Reerun_KC

Its the jilted lovers syndrome... Pretty common among junior high girls...

:hmmm:

MMXcalibur
WE DIDN'T WANT YOU ANYWAYS! HAHA, JOKE'S ON YOU!

BossChief
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
This is hilarious.

The idea of us signing him ALWAYS came with the caveat that his hip would be good to go.

Once he signed with Denver, I stated that I hope his hip is fucked.

I dont see whats so hard to understand about that.

Okie_Apparition
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I have positived repped over 600 different active posters & had to give up. They keep coming. The number that actually weigh in on any given topic is so minute it's like a flea on Mount Rushmore.

Rain Man
08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I hate ty warren.

now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
thanks for the most original observation anyone has offered since those ruminations on the quality of airplane peanuts.

DeezNutz
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
thanks for the most original observation anyone has offered since those ruminations on the quality of airplane peanuts.

I love them until I hit Colorado air. Then...nothing.

Backwards Masking
08-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Ty Warren can go eat a d*ck.

JD10367
08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
To Ty Warren the former Patriot: you were a very solid player. Thank you for your service.

To Ty Warren the new Bronco: go fuck yourself in the ass with a rusty crowbar.

There are a few teams I like. There are a whole lot of teams I'm ambivalent about. But there are a handful of teams I detest: Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Baltimore, and the Jets. Anywhere but those five. Goddamit, Warren...

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Fuck you, Ty. I hope your children are sodomized by a 400 lb man.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2011, 09:56 PM
To Ty Warren the former Patriot: you were a very solid player. Thank you for your service.

There are a few teams I like. There are a whole lot of teams I'm ambivalent about. But there are a handful of teams I detest: Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Baltimore, and the Jets. Anywhere but those five. Goddamit, Warren...

You're a good Pats fan. Chiefs first.

Ultra Peanut
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Chiefs + Pats, best friends forever

I already have an instinctive negative response to the Jets after a year of spending time here, it's hilarious.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
IN PIOLI WE TRUST!!!!

C'mon, Chiefs fans - he's dicked up this FA period. It's really okay to admit it.

A perfect LB for our scheme just signed a 1 year deal. The 'cap killer' NT with significantly more upside than the old guy we just signed also signed a 1 yr deal.

Meanwhile Pioli's going on radio shows and telling us that everything's going to be okay because not everyone has released all the players they're going to release yet.

THANK GOD! THE 55TH MAN ON A BUNCH OF ROSTERS WILL BE AVAILABLE TO US SOON!

listopencil
08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Suddenly we have a D-Line.

DeezNutz
08-02-2011, 10:30 PM
IN PIOLI WE TRUST!!!!

C'mon, Chiefs fans - he's dicked up this FA period. It's really okay to admit it.

A perfect LB for our scheme just signed a 1 year deal. The 'cap killer' NT with significantly more upside than the old guy we just signed also signed a 1 yr deal.

Meanwhile Pioli's going on radio shows and telling us that everything's going to be okay because not everyone has released all the players they're going to release yet.

I sent the PM containing the secret society information. :D

Hey, Pioli is a heavily decorated and praised GM, and Clark has provided him, according to Pioli's own words, with all of the resources that he's asked for. Thus, if he thinks we shouldn't sign any of these players, we should believe him.

After all, I'm sure Scott has taken a gander at the schedule and might have a clue about our current personnel, right? Or are we to believe that he's oblivious to both?

This is really going to be an interesting year. We have the '09 disaster, an over-achieving team in '10, and now a condensed '11, when the most prepared and most savvy front offices should sign (LMAO. Hell of a typo. Shine. Perhaps "sign" is more apt?).

We'll have much to analyze at the end of the year.

BossChief
08-02-2011, 10:36 PM
IN PIOLI WE TRUST!!!!

There has to be a reason why NOBODY wanted either player you are referencing.

Its stupid to blame Pioli for taking a pass on them, when everybody else did as well.

I am assuming you are talking about Franklin and Lawson....

All either player could get was a 1 year deal for teams that run systems that aren't anything like ours.

BossChief
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I sent the PM containing the secret society information. :D

Hey, Pioli is a heavily decorated and praised GM, and Clark has provided him, according to Pioli's own words, with all of the resources that he's asked for. Thus, if he thinks we shouldn't sign any of these players, we should believe him.

After all, I'm sure Scott has taken a gander at the schedule and might have a clue about our current personnel, right? Or are we to believe that he's oblivious to both?

This is really going to be an interesting year. We have the '09 disaster, an over-achieving team in '10, and now a condensed '11, when the most prepared and most savvy front offices should sign (LMAO. Hell of a typo. Shine. Perhaps "sign" is more apt?).

We'll have much to analyze at the end of the year.

If we return to the playoffs and look to be further improved, would you fairly say that he made the correct moves?

Ill gladly concede that if we miss them, he made a mistake in not adding more talent to this roster when we had a chance to.

IMO, the last two drafts and last years free agency period (that almost nobody was content with) have bought Pioli the "benefit of the doubt" for the time being.

I hope he doesnt make me regret it.

DJ's left nut
08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
There has to be a reason why NOBODY wanted either player you are referencing.

Its stupid to blame Pioli for taking a pass on them, when everybody else did as well.

I am assuming you are talking about Franklin and Lawson....

All either player could get was a 1 year deal for teams that run systems that aren't anything like ours.

There had to be a reason why nobody wanted Kelly Gregg.

See - I can play that game too.

Lawson would've been an ideal fit for this defense; look at his scouting report, look at his performance in general. He's an absolutely ideal Ted.

And you can just stop talking about Franklin now. You went from beating your chest about how stupid we'd be to give him a long term deal to some nonsensical bleating about how clearly he was a bad signing if he went so cheap. Weren't you also yammering about how he's only a contract year player?

Think maybe a 1-yr deal for a guy like that might get him motivated a bit?

Just keep spinning. Those guys would have both done a hell of a lot of good for our defense. Alas, the cap salary floor doesn't go into effect until 2013 and Clark is his daddy's son.

Be prepared for another 2 years of being the KC Cheaps. Revel in the reputation - we've earned it.

What a joke.

Ugly Duck
08-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 2, 2011, 10:07 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/t-warren2.jpg?w=160

"His play didn’t decline much when he was on the field."

If he can teach the rest of the Broncos that trick... they might be out of the Luck race....

BigMeatballDave
08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I will trust Pioli's football acumen LONG before anyone here.

LMAO at the arrogance of those who think they know better.

Maybe you do. If that's the case, then way aren't you working in the NFL? Scout. Player Personnel? Water boy?

:)

BossChief
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM

Lawson would've been an ideal fit for this defense; look at his scouting report, look at his performance in general. He's an absolutely ideal Ted.

And you can just stop talking about Franklin now. You went from beating your chest about how stupid we'd be to give him a long term deal to some nonsensical bleating about how clearly he was a bad signing if he went so cheap. Weren't you also yammering about how he's only a contract year player?

Just keep spinning. Those guys would have both done a hell of a lot of good for our defense. Alas, the cap salary floor doesn't go into effect until 2013 and Clark is his daddy's son.

Be prepared for another 2 years of being the KC Cheaps. Revel in the reputation - we've earned it.

What a joke.Harbaugh from the Ravens publicly said they wanted Gregg back and had an offer on the table for him...but we outbid them for his services.

The Jets also had an offer on the table that Harbaugh was aware of that he referenced...thats two playoff teams with superbowl aspirations.

I think Lawson would have been a good signing as strictly a player...but nobody here knows why NOBODY wanted him and he was forced to take a lowball deal from a lowball franchise....all Im saying is there is OBVIOUSLY something out there that made teams stay away. Not sure why you got mad about that, but whatever...I guess some here get a little too emotionally invested into disliking Pioli and falling in love with their own takes on players.

That whole paragraph about Franklin is crap. NFL teams obviously dont agree with you on this, not just poor old Pioli and his cheapass handler.

You are right though, I will stop talking about Franklin now....he only got a 1 year deal from a 4-3 team...even when other guys like Barry Coefield got big money long term contracts with 3-4 teams. FTR he was on a 1 year deal last year when he shit the bed...a one year deal worth almost 8 million dollars and if he showed up and proved he was worth it, he might have made 50 million on a long term contract with the Redskins....he didnt and he had to settle for another year of "prove it"

Lamar Hunt pushed the salary cap limit almost every year.

Nice job pissing on his grave though.

classy

listopencil
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
..but nobody here knows why NOBODY wanted him and he was forced to take a lowball deal from a lowball franchise....

From what I hear the new FA rules are creating a glut of talent. The players are getting as nervous about snagging a job as we are about snagging players, and the Front Offices are winning this game of chicken. Obviously it's not that simple in every situation but the market has a certain bias this year.

Bump
08-02-2011, 11:51 PM
they just didn't want us to get him. I hope that injury keeps him fucked up

Garcia Bronco
08-03-2011, 12:32 AM
classy stuff. You guys will be good this year though..so I would be worried if I were you.

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2011, 03:28 AM
The **** would he do that?

He said he wanted to play for a contender.

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2011, 04:03 AM
I hope that hip is ****ed.

Warren coming off hip surgery. It was a Broncos doc who did the work, so they're confident he's fully recovered.https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/98574611628822528

notorious
08-03-2011, 06:15 AM
NE didn't seem to need him and their defense wasn't that great last year.

He will probably improve Denver's defense since it was horrific to begin with.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

phisherman
08-03-2011, 06:18 AM
looks like the broncos offered the most cash....

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM

And all this time, I was thinking he was edumacated.

Red Brooklyn
08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
All it takes is a Bronco or Raider uniform.

rad
08-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Harbaugh from the Ravens publicly said they wanted Gregg back and had an offer on the table for him...but we outbid them for his services.

The Jets also had an offer on the table that Harbaugh was aware of that he referenced...thats two playoff teams with superbowl aspirations.

I think Lawson would have been a good signing as strictly a player...but nobody here knows why NOBODY wanted him and he was forced to take a lowball deal from a lowball franchise....all Im saying is there is OBVIOUSLY something out there that made teams stay away. Not sure why you got mad about that, but whatever...I guess some here get a little too emotionally invested into disliking Pioli and falling in love with their own takes on players.

That whole paragraph about Franklin is crap. NFL teams obviously dont agree with you on this, not just poor old Pioli and his cheapass handler.

You are right though, I will stop talking about Franklin now....he only got a 1 year deal from a 4-3 team...even when other guys like Barry Coefield got big money long term contracts with 3-4 teams. FTR he was on a 1 year deal last year when he shit the bed...a one year deal worth almost 8 million dollars and if he showed up and proved he was worth it, he might have made 50 million on a long term contract with the Redskins....he didnt and he had to settle for another year of "prove it"

classy

*slow clap*

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-03-2011, 06:55 AM
All it takes is a Bronco or Raider uniform.

Not so much that I hate Warren at this point for being a Donk. More that I hate the fans that will be cheering for him... so guilt by association more than anything.

DIAF Warren.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-03-2011, 06:57 AM

For vet minimum too ROFL Money always talks.

Mile High Mania
08-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I think it's a good signing, if he is healthy - then he's far from over the hill and has a few years left. I like the 'mass' they've brought in to help fix the DL and while building through the draft and being young is ideal, it's a good move. It will depend on how they adjust and what Fox does with them.

There's no doubt that he can help, the question is ... what does he have left and can he be healthy all season.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-03-2011, 07:06 AM
It's a signing they had to make. We'll see how it works out. Definately better than the trash Denver signed the last several offseasons on the DL.

Reerun_KC
08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
IN PIOLI WE TRUST!!!!

You cant make shit like this up... I hope to God you are not on the edge of your bed thinking about eating a bullet because we didnt sign this guy?

I trust Pioli more than any moron on this message board to run an NFL franchise... So far its been a good FA period.

milkman
08-03-2011, 07:24 AM
You cant make shit like this up... I hope to God you are not on the edge of your bed thinking about eating a bullet because we didnt sign this guy?

I trust Pioli more than any moron on this message board to run an NFL franchise... So far its been a good FA period.

I wouldn't call it "good".

I am not as unhappy with it as others.

There were some free agents out there that could have improved the quality abd depth of this team, and that could have helped to make the next step, and I'm left scratching my head about the overall lack of activity.

But at the same time, I don't believe there was anyone out there that puts us in the SB this year.

SAUTO
08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

What a joke.

he signed on the morning after FA started. not a great comparison there.

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM

There were some free agents out there that could have improved the quality abd depth of this team, and that could have helped to make the next step, and I'm left scratching my head about the overall lack of activity.

But at the same time, I don't believe there was anyone out there that puts us in the SB this year.I agree. I'm a little perplexed in terms of depth, but that's about the extent of it. Offensive line is really the only thing I'm worried about right now; looks thin to me on paper.

Bwana
08-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Meh

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2011, 08:01 AM

But at the same time, I don't believe there was anyone out there that puts us in the SB this year.

This. /end thread

Deberg_1990
08-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Overall im satisfied so far. It may not be how you or I would have done it, but that doesnt mean its wrong. Theres alot of info that we fans are not privy to. I trust that these guys know what they are doing. I also like the fact they are giving alot of the young guys with question marks (Tyjack, Albert, Richardson, Asomoah, McCluster, releasing etc..) a chance to grow into the job before pushing the "panic" button.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Nope, stayed up late watching the Cardinals game, logged on before I went to bed.

This team hasn't taken any real steps towards becoming a legitimate contender. They're still, at best, a 1 and done club.

And if the extent of your insight is to blindly cheer everything Pioli does, why even bother posting on a message board? I'll never understand that line of thought. There are a hell of a lot of people that said the Jackson pick was absurd and they've been a hell of a lot more right than Pioli. Ditto the McCluster and Arenas picks. Granted, Pioli's been right on a handful of picks that folks didn't like as well (Moeaki would probably be the best example). Ultimately, however, you can cite a TON of instances where the collective wisdom on CP was far more accurate than Scott Pioli.

And with the fact that Lawson and Franklin went for virtually nothing, I'm pretty comfortable saying this is one of those times.

It's a complete logical fallicy to say that these guys must suck since nobody went after them. Every single year you see guys on 'make good' deals excel. I seem to remember a chubby nut-grabber of our own being a very strong player for us last season on one of those very same deals. And it also makes your position completely unassailable. Had Franklin or Lawson gone for big money deals over multiple years, Boss Chief and the rest of the nut huggers would've been saying that Pioli was right for not chasing after him. Now that he went for cheap over short years, Pioli was right because clearly the player wasn't in demand.

It's the worst kind of useless double-talk; it's rear-view mirror rationalizing that runs completely opposed to what he was saying just a few days ago in regards to these very same players.

That kind of 'defense', such as it is, makes it quite apparent that those individuals were going to look for ways to support Pioli's decision, no matter what it was. When you switch horses mid-stream that easily, it's pretty apparent you never really had a position to begin with.

Skyy God
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM

What a joke.

I understand your point, but I think we're both in agreement that this isn't a SB-contending team, and wouldn't be even with those 2 players. So what's the harm in developing younger talent this year?

Both Franklin and Lawson signed 1 year deals. If Stude/Houston and Powe don't work out, Pioli could, in theory, have the opportunity to sign them next year.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I understand your point, but I think we're both in agreement that this isn't a SB-contending team, and wouldn't be even with those 2 players. So what's the harm in developing younger talent this year?

Both Franklin and Lawson signed 1 year deals. If Stude/Houston and Powe don't work out, Pioli could, in theory, have the opportunity to sign them next year.

That's true, but I think we are a fringe playoff team.

Now if you have a couple of guys that could be the difference in a 7-9 season or a 9-7 season (which could easily win this division), don't you think another trip to the playoffs would be HUGE for the development of this team?

I don't think we're doing enough to keep this team from slipping backwards. Pioli seems content with conceding that this isn't a SB team and using it as another 'rebuilding' year. That just seems extremely reckless. It also seems like the front office is once again going on the cheap in building this team.

We just got called out by Drew Brees; you don't think that's relevant? We're being mentioned by national media types as one of the teams that created the need for the salary floor; you don't think that hurts our rep among the players? I'm not yelling and screaming that we should've overpaid for Kameron Wimbley or anything stupid like that; but how does getting a player like Lawson for a season pose any real risk? And if he doesn't work out, you sit him and you're out only the cash. Meanwhile if he does work out, you have a huge leg up on the rest of the league next year in extending him.

It's not the roster space either; we have what, 26 people in camp right now?

No matter what the answer is, it's a bad one. It may be money, it may be hubris, it may be that Pioli just mis-read the hell out of the FA market. I just don't like the way this FA period has been handled one bit.

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
It's not the roster space either; we have what, 26 people in camp right now? I could swear the number I heard Friday was 61. Either way, no UFAs they signed would be in camp until tomorrow.

ModSocks
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Very disappointing. I am very concerned about our D-Line.

Skyy God
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
That's true, but I think we are a fringe playoff team.

Now if you have a couple of guys that could be the difference in a 7-9 season or a 9-7 season (which could easily win this division), don't you think another trip to the playoffs would be HUGE for the development of this team?

I don't think we're doing enough to keep this team from slipping backwards. Pioli seems content with conceding that this isn't a SB team and using it as another 'rebuilding' year. That just seems extremely reckless. It also seems like the front office is once again going on the cheap in building this team.

We just got called out by Drew Brees; you don't think that's relevant? We're being mentioned by national media types as one of the teams that created the need for the salary floor; you don't think that hurts our rep among the players? I'm not yelling and screaming that we should've overpaid for Kameron Wimbley or anything stupid like that; but how does getting a player like Lawson for a season pose any real risk? And if he doesn't work out, you sit him and you're out only the cash. Meanwhile if he does work out, you have a huge leg up on the rest of the league next year in extending him.

It's not the roster space either; we have what, 26 people in camp right now?

No matter what the answer is, it's a bad one. It may be money, it may be hubris, it may be that Pioli just mis-read the hell out of the FA market. I just don't like the way this FA period has been handled one bit.

The Lawson move is less defensible, as neither Stude or Houston are proven commodities. But Franklin vs. Gregg is a closer call, if for no other reason that Gregg was in demand as a starter and Franklin will be competing for PT with Shaun Rogers.

Now, if Pioli doesn't upgrade off of Thomas Jones, add a swing tackle, and a backup DL (e.g., Jamal Anderson), I'd grade the offseason out as a D.

Regarding Brees' point, the Chiefs were in transition in 2009. Clark Hunt throwing money at the mostly brokedick players listed below wouldn't have significantly improved the team's result . Moreover, it's always easier to recruit FA to teams with superstar QBs that have won a SB.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d80835368/article/freeagent-class-of-2009-appears-mighty-impressive

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
The more I think about it the less I'm concerned about the d-line. Depth at nose tackle is my biggest question. Gregg's the first nose tackle they've had, in my mind; never really thought Edwards fit there. Powe's in the mix there. I don't expect him to start, but I do expect him to get worked in over the course of the year. If they can get anything out of Toribio they should be fine. The have a ton of young ends and tweeners. Dorsey will obviously start. Jackson if he's back up to speed. Gilberry will be in the mix somewhere. Then there's Bailey and apparently Miller (expected him to be a LB but maybe he's the new Gilberry while the old Gilberry is a 3-down lineman now).

I think they're still missing the tweener to take Smith's place, but they found him for change last offseason, so hopefully they can pull something off this year, too.

TEX
08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
The more I think about it the less I'm concerned about the d-line. Depth at nose tackle is my biggest question. Gregg's the first nose tackle they've had, in my mind; never really thought Edwards fit there. Powe's in the mix there. I don't expect him to start, but I do expect him to get worked in over the course of the year. If they can get anything out of Toribio they should be fine. The have a ton of young ends and tweeners. Dorsey will obviously start. Jackson if he's back up to speed. Gilberry will be in the mix somewhere. Then there's Bailey and apparently Miller (expected him to be a LB but maybe he's the new Gilberry while the old Gilberry is a 3-down lineman now).

I think they're still missing the tweener to take Smith's place, but they found him for change last offseason, so hopefully they can pull something off this year, too.

+1

ModSocks
08-03-2011, 09:47 AM

They need someone who can actually anchor that DE spot and right now they have 1 guy with potential but he's a rook (Bailey) and another guy who's made getting pushed 2-5 yards off the LOS a favorite hobby of his.

Then they have a 35 year old Gregg who played second fiddle to a 350 lb Ravens superstar and now they're asking him to be "the man".

Not to mention they still haven't found the answer at OLB.

We're what, 2 weeks away from the first preseason game and we have exactly the same holes that we started with +1.

Yeah...I don't feel good about this at all.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 09:53 AM
The Lawson move is less defensible, as neither Stude or Houston are proven commodities. But Franklin vs. Gregg is a closer call, if for no other reason that Gregg was in demand as a starter and Franklin will be competing for PT with Shaun Rogers.

Now, if Pioli doesn't upgrade off of Thomas Jones, add a swing tackle, and a backup DL (e.g., Jamal Anderson), I'd grade the offseason out as a D.

Regarding Brees' point, the Chiefs were in transition in 2009. Clark Hunt throwing money at the mostly brokedick players listed below wouldn't have improved their result significantly. Moreover, it's always easier to recruit FA to teams with superstar QBs that have won a SB.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d80835368/article/freeagent-class-of-2009-appears-mighty-impressive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gregg sign for about 1/2 of what Franklin signed for?

Don't you think Franklin would've been in higher demand than Gregg had he gone out there with the same contractual demands as him? Franklin mis-read the market; I think it's more than fair to at least consider the possibility that Pioli did the same. I think both parties overplayed their hands pretty badly.

And you're right to the extent that Pioli didn't really have a lot of options in '09. That said - perception is reality among NFL players. The longer it goes with the Chiefs passing on guys like Lawson and Harris (another really bad miss) with the only outward explanation being $$$, the harder and harder its going to be for them to get guys here without overpaying for them.

A perfect example is in Philly - the Eagles investment in Asomugha paid immediate dividends by improving their reputation among players. Were guys really talking about Philly as some destination franchise before they came out of nowhere and snaked Nnamdi? Suddenly guys like Harris are signing there for less than they could've grabbed elsewhere.

The Chiefs could make the playoffs this season, break through and be on their way. That said, they could also slip back again, further cement that reputation and get closer to being the Royals of the NFL. Pioli has had ample opportunity to make the former more likely than the latter (even incrementally so) and has not done so. That bothers me.

notorious
08-03-2011, 09:54 AM
We're what, 2 weeks away from the first preseason game and we have exactly the same holes that we started with +1.

It's all moot until we fix the number 1 hole.

-King-
08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
They need someone who can actually anchor that DE spot and right now they have 1 guy with potential but he's a rook (Bailey) and another guy who's made getting pushed 2-5 yards off the LOS a favorite hobby of his.

Then they have a 35 year old Gregg who played second fiddle to a 350 lb Ravens superstar and now they're asking him to be "the man".

Not to mention they still haven't found the answer at OLB.

Yeah...I don't feel good about this at all.

How is replacing Edwards with Gregg not fixing a hole? And did you really think we'd have an answer at OLB before preseason games started? When we drafted Houston, everyone knew it would be a competition between him and Studebaker. So of course they haven't found an answer yet. They've been in camp for less than a week.

I'm not worried about the D-line. I'd take Gregg over Edwards any day at any age.

Mile High Mania
08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
You guys are trashing what was a perfectly good Broncos' bashing thread... please step away.

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
They need someone who can actually anchor that DE spot and right now they have 1 guy with potential but he's a rook (Bailey) and another guy who's made getting pushed 2-5 yards off the LOS a favorite hobby of his.Jackson will be fine. If he's not, Gilberry will take his job. Bailey's the other depth.

That's the way I see it at least. Then they have a 35 year old Gregg who played second fiddle to a 350 lb Ravens superstar and now they're asking him to be "the man". One of my fantasies is that they land Ngata next offseason, but I'd say the odds of that are slim.

As far as Gregg being 35, there may not be a position anywhere on the field where age means less than nose tackle. My belief is that he's going to be an improvement over Edwards, quite possibly a massive one. We haven't had a player here like him before. His weight isn't that much more than Edwards was, but he's much lower to the ground and difficult to move. I never understood playing Edwards at the nose, never thought he fit the position. Gregg does.Not to mention they still haven't found the answer at OLB. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. Kind of hard to tell when Hali's sitting home and Houston's off doing...whatever it is he's doing right now. I'm not the biggest Studebaker fan, but I'd like to think between him, Houston and Sheffield they can match Vrabel's talent on the field, such as it was. Leadership is another issue. But that's another thread.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 10:01 AM
You guys are trashing what was a perfectly good Broncos' bashing thread... please step away.

Don't get me wrong - I totally hope that Ty Warren dies in a fire.

ModSocks
08-03-2011, 10:01 AM
How is replacing Edwards with Gregg not fixing a hole? And did you really think we'd have an answer at OLB before preseason games started? When we drafted Houston, everyone knew it would be a competition between him and Studebaker. So of course they haven't found an answer yet. They've been in camp for less than a week.

I'm not worried about the D-line. I'd take Gregg over Edwards any day at any age.

Gregg is 35 years old and was a back up. He didn't have to endure all the snaps in a full season. We don't know how effective he'll be late in the season. He's a question mark and I don't really feel all that comfortable calling him an upgrade yet.

And Houston isn't even in camp yet. Each passing day that goes by Studebaker takes another sigh of relief. Right now there is no competition. Lawson made so much sense at that spot.....They couldn't get him for a 1 yr contract? C'mon....

Ok, ok, fine. I get it. They're building the team through the draft, developing their core players and locking them up, blah blah.

If so, then why the FUCK does Carr not have a new contract yet? Hali? Two core members of our D are looking at holding out.

Not happy with the Chiefs right now.

ModSocks
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Jackson will be fine. If he's not, Gilberry will take his job. Bailey's the other depth.

That's the way I see it at least. One of my fantasies is that they land Ngata next offseason, but I'd say the odds of that are slim.

As far as Gregg being 35, there may not be a position anywhere on the field where age means less than nose tackle. My belief is that he's going to be an improvement over Edwards, quite possibly a massive one. We haven't had a player here like him before. His weight isn't that much more than Edwards was, but he's much lower to the ground and difficult to move. I never understood playing Edwards at the nose, never thought he fit the position. Gregg does.Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. Kind of hard to tell when Hali's sitting home and Houston's off doing...whatever it is he's doing right now. I'm not the biggest Studebaker fan, but I'd like to think between him, Houston and Sheffield they can match Vrabel's talent on the field, such as it was. Leadership is another issue. But that's another thread.

Jackson has shown us nothing to make me believe he'll be fine. Nothing. 1 good half in 2 seasons validates shit IMO. And I disagree about age and NT's.

NTs get smashed on. Is there another position that takes on more 2-300 pounders a game then NT?

kysirsoze
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Thank you! JFC, guys. Let's have some fucking perspective.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 10:11 AM
J I'm not the biggest Studebaker fan, but I'd like to think between him, Houston and Sheffield they can match Vrabel's talent on the field, such as it was. Leadership is another issue. But that's another thread.

That's one piss-poor bar to set, is it not? Vrabel or Stude is a false choice; the market left a bunch of other available options for us. Do you believe Stude/Sheffield/Houston could approach Lawson's talent on the field? And Lawson's been known as a good character guy in his own right.

If we get Roth, I'll be less frustrated by this offseason in that it will suggest that the Chiefs determined that Lawson just wasn't as good a fit as Roth. But I don't see anything to suggest we'll get Roth. I fully expect him to sign a 1 year deal for less than $3 million somewhere and we'll run 'the kids' out there and likely lose a game on account of it.

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 10:13 AM
There's a reason you see more linemen playing into their mid- to late 30s than you do receivers or backs. Technique and experience can mean a whole lot.

We'll see on Jackson. Like I said, if he doesn't perform, I think the newly 280-pound Gilberry takes his job. I think there's a decent chance Jackson's fine, though, as a 3rd year player who may finally have a sense of urgency about his job in the league. We'll see. Admittedly, I've always been somebody willing to wait on a player to develop. I think fans have a tendency to make their minds up on players (positively or negatively) too quickly.

-King-
08-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Gregg is 35 years old and was a back up.

Yeah... but he wasn't.

And Houston isn't even in camp yet. Each passing day that goes by Studebaker takes another sigh of relief. Right now there is no competition. Lawson made so much sense at that spot.....They couldn't get him for a 1 yr contract? C'mon....
Why did he make so much more sense there? Because he was a vet? If Houston is coming in, I'd rather have him. Do people forget that Houston was supposed to be a 1st round pick?

If so, then why the FUCK does Carr not have a new contract yet? Hali? Two core members of our D are looking at holding out.

Not happy with the Chiefs right now. Those are the only 2 issues I see so far. But Carr is signing tomorrow, and hali will likely be in later in the week.

keg in kc
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
That's one piss-poor bar to set, is it not? Vrabel or Stude is a false choice; the market left a bunch of other available options for us. Do you believe Stude/Sheffield/Houston could approach Lawson's talent on the field? And Lawson's been known as a good character guy in his own right.

If we get Roth, I'll be less frustrated by this offseason in that it will suggest that the Chiefs determined that Lawson just wasn't as good a fit as Roth. But I don't see anything to suggest we'll get Roth. I fully expect him to sign a 1 year deal for less than $3 million somewhere and we'll run 'the kids' out there and likely lose a game on account of it.Sheffield and Houston both could I think, but it's not going to be an instant gratification thing with either one.

I'm hoping Sheffield ends up being the surprise player out of camp, which he was on his way to being last year before his neck injury.

durtyrute
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
UCKIN DONKS

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Why did he make so much more sense there? Because he was a vet? If Houston is coming in, I'd rather have him. Do people forget that Houston was supposed to be a 1st round pick?

Because Lawson was a first round pick himself, was considered a highly effective pass rusher (if underutilized), a plus coverage backer and was very very strong at sealing off the edge in the rushing game - essentially the perfect player for the Ted backer position. Not to mention the fact that Lawson also has phenomenal measurables for the role.

I don't care that Houston was 'supposed' to be a first rounder - Lawson was one and has been a proven player at the NFL level. He's also still a young veteran player that could've provided very good leadership to a guy like Stude or Houston while not being a broke-dick like Vrabel.

And again - if he doesn't work out, you cut his ass. The downside to taking Lawson in on a 1 yr deal was precisely zero. He was a great fit for the defense w/ a reasonable pricetag (and a very reasonable length). Not getting him is pretty shitty.

SAUTO
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Because Lawson was a first round pick himself, was considered a highly effective pass rusher (if underutilized), a plus coverage backer and was very very strong at sealing off the edge in the rushing game - essentially the perfect player for the Ted backer position. Not to mention the fact that Lawson also has phenomenal measurables for the role.

I don't care that Houston was 'supposed' to be a first rounder - Lawson was one and has been a proven player at the NFL level. He's also still a young veteran player that could've provided very good leadership to a guy like Stude or Houston while not being a broke-dick like Vrabel.

And again - if he doesn't work out, you cut his ass. The downside to taking Lawson in on a 1 yr deal was precisely zero. He was a great fit for the defense w/ a reasonable pricetag (and a very reasonable length). Not getting him is pretty shitty.

obviously they didnt feel like you do here.

Ace Gunner
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Harbaugh from the Ravens publicly said they wanted Gregg back and had an offer on the table for him...but we outbid them for his services.

classy

btw- did you notice Franklin was absent the final half of that 9er game? He was pulled? Might have raised hell and contributed to coach's firing? Not that I wouldn't fire him. Hell, I would have found a guy to replace him at the end of the previous year. Singletary was a great on the field, but I don't see how anyone could think he was going to pull off HC. Not a good communicator at all and can't handle the entertainment side of pro football.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
obviously they didnt feel like you do here.

Or they didn't feel like paying for him. Or maybe they did and Pioli failed to get it done.

Given his size, speed and performance to date; the latter possibilities certainly seem more likely.

SAUTO
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Or they didn't feel like paying for him. Or maybe they did and Pioli failed to get it done.

Given his size, speed and performance to date; the latter possibilities certainly seem more likely.

i guess you can look at it like that. i will look at it the other way.

i'm willing to bet that they would bring a guy in that would be a good fit and a good upgrade.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
So, everyone wanted Powe and Houston, but want to sign guys that would pretty much bury them on the depth chart...ok.

Mr. Laz
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
So, everyone wanted Powe and Houston, but want to sign guys that would pretty much bury them on the depth chart...ok.
umm ... Powe is probably going to take a year or two before he's ready.

Houston hasn't sign yet and is missing out on the coaching that could get him ready for early play.

so what's your problem again?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Houston hasn't sign yet and is missing out on the coaching that could get him ready for early play.

Platooning with a vet like Gregg is probably ideal for Powe. He'll get PT without being forced to do too much.

I have no idea why Houston hasn't signed, but he'll have a similar issue when he does sign. Studebaker will start, but he'll gain valuable experience without being rushed.

So what's your problem again?

Mr. Laz
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Platooning with a vet like Gregg is probably ideal for Powe. He'll get PT without being forced to do too much.

I have no idea why Houston hasn't signed, but he'll have a similar issue when he does sign. Studebaker will start, but he'll gain valuable experience without being rushed.

So what's your problem again?:doh!:

you're the one who was yelling at people about wanting to sign players that push Houston/Powe down the depth chart, not me.

glad you've changed your mind

vailpass
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
At least they are addressing the position. Could be a good move. It's a start but far from the end.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-03-2011, 11:38 AM
:doh!:

you're the one who was yelling at people about wanting to sign players that push Houston/Powe down the depth chart, not me.

glad you've changed your mind

Huh? I'm fine with the positions the way they are now. I don't see the need to add any more players at those 2 positions this year. No problem with them playing complimentary roles this season, but signing a guy like Lawson doesn't leave much PT for Houston this year. Got it?

Just Passin' By
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Manny lawson is considered a below average type of pass rusher, who's good in coverage.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Evidently drafting a player means that you intend to start them from day 1.

I absolutely loved both the Powe and Houston pickups - that doesn't mean for a second that we should've counted on them to be day 1 starters (Houston) or prime rotational players (Powe). Both of them will very likely take some time to develop.

Lawson could've done a TON to ease that transitional period.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Manny lawson is considered a below average type of pass rusher, who's good in coverage.

There have been several reports in the last season or two, most notably the PFT one (I believe it was PFT anyway) that had him ranked among the more efficient pass rushers in the league, he simply wasn't sent on the blitz that often. His technique isn't great, but in a 2 gap system he can let the front 3 lockup the blockers and rely on his athleticism; he'd be a more effective rusher here than he was in SF by a lot, IMO.

Having a guy like that across from Hali - someone that could blitz effectively and will thus require the defense's attention but who is also very effective in space - would've been a fantastic addition to the entire defense. It would've made everyone more effective in their respective roles.

His was a bad miss.

Just Passin' By
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
There have been several reports in the last season or two, most notably the PFT one (I believe it was PFT anyway) that had him ranked among the more efficient pass rushers in the league, he simply wasn't sent on the blitz that often. His technique isn't great, but in a 2 gap system he can let the front 3 lockup the blockers and rely on his athleticism; he'd be a more effective rusher here than he was in SF by a lot, IMO.

Having a guy like that across from Hali - someone that could blitz effectively and will thus require the defense's attention but who is also very effective in space - would've been a fantastic addition to the entire defense. It would've made everyone more effective in their respective roles.

His was a bad miss.

He's been a poor pass rusher to this point in his career, and PFF claims to the contrary mean nothing to me, since that site is garbage.

DJ's left nut
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
He's been a poor pass rusher to this point in his career, and PFF claims to the contrary mean nothing to me, since that site is garbage.

Unless Pioli had signed him.

Then I'm betting you'd be right on board with them.

DeezNutz
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM

The site or Pioli's nuts? Ambiguous antecedent there.

Just Passin' By
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Well, given that I didn't want him on the Patriots, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that it has nothing to do with who signed him. I think he'd have been a better fit for KC than NE, because KC has Hali to rush the passer, but I don't think he's been a particularly good player.

I'm sorry to have interrupted your mindless free agency bleating, though. Really, get back to it, because jumping madly into free agency is how teams win Super Bowls.