PDA

View Full Version : Football Eagles' player collapses from seizure

4th and Long
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll leave all the, "Oh no! There goes their Superbowl bid!" jokes for everyone else. :p

Eagles' player collapses from seizure

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/08/03/t1larg.mike.patterson.gi.jpg
The Eagles say defensive tackle Mike Patterson suffered a seizure.

Philadelphia Eagles player Mike Patterson collapsed from a seizure on the practice field Wednesday, the Philadelphia Eagles said.

"Patterson was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital where he is being tested to see why he experienced the seizure. Patterson has had no complications from the seizure," the football team said on its website.

It is unknown whether the incident is heat-related, but it comes at a time when many states are dealing with sweltering temperatures and a few high school football players have died after falling ill with heat-related symptoms at practice.

The temperature was about 80 degrees during the Eagles' morning practice.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/03/eagles-player-collapses-from-seizure/?hpt=hp_t2

Demonpenz
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
hate to see him shaken up

ModSocks
08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
a few high school football players have died after falling ill with heat-related symptoms at practice.

That's fucking terrible. If I were a Coach hydration would be emphasized over and over again. With this heat, there should be mandatory water breaks.

OnTheWarpath15
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
That's fucking terrible. If I were a Coach hydration would be emphasized over and over again. With this heat, there should be mandatory water breaks.

Hell, a HS coach in Texas just died the other day - apparently heat related.

RedThat
08-03-2011, 04:10 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but, is it possible if training camp could be held indoors?

listopencil
08-03-2011, 04:12 PM
That's rough, I hope he is OK.

Bewbies
08-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I shouldn't laugh at this...

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, Andy Reid's an idiot for leaving the strobe lights on for the entire practice.

FloridaMan88
08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but, is it possible if training camp could be held indoors?

80 degrees is not extreme heat... unless the humidity was high.

A professional athlete should be able to practice okay in 80 degree weather.

ShowtimeSBMVP
08-04-2011, 06:45 AM
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

SalPal reports Mike Patterson has brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation), a tangle of blood vessels in skull; requires surgery or radiation.

Saulbadguy
08-04-2011, 06:52 AM

:thumb:

ShowtimeSBMVP
08-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Mike Patterson has brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation) and will require surgery or radiation, according to ESPN.
Patterson apparently wasn't suffering from dehydration after all. AVM is a tangle of the blood vessels in the skull and recovery times depend on the severity. Pacers PG A.J. Price had the same condition. The Eagles can't count on having Patterson on the field anytime soon.

Get well soon mike.

Hydrae
08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Mike Patterson has brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation) and will require surgery or radiation, according to ESPN.
Patterson apparently wasn't suffering from dehydration after all. AVM is a tangle of the blood vessels in the skull and recovery times depend on the severity. Pacers PG A.J. Price had the same condition. The Eagles can't count on having Patterson on the field anytime soon.

Get well soon mike.

That sounds rather scary but at least they have a treatment.

I will second the get well wishes. Life is more important than football at times like this (one of the only times this is true! :) ).

Mr. Flopnuts
08-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Swallow your tongue!

Mr. Laz
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
wonder if his season is over ... career?

Demonpenz
08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Swallow your tongue!

My Grandmal used to say that all the time

durtyrute
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM

I've wondered the same thing. Don't do it all of the time but damn when it's over 100 ....come on.

Brock
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
wonder if his season is over ... career?

Season, definitely.