PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Houston signs

Steve
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
610 Sports - KCSP
OLB Justin Houston finally agrees to a 4 year $2.78 million contract per a league source.

Sofa King
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Nice try Mr. Plow. I know it's you.

vailpass
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Have you told Arrow2?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I was born in Richmond, MO.

Okie_Apparition
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Dancing pickled peach ice cream in vanila fudge dipped waffle cones

shammus
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Per Rotoworld --

Chiefs signed No. 70 overall pick Justin Houston to a four-year, $2.78 million contract.
Houston took longer than expected to sign his rookie deal, perhaps because the Chiefs were trying to protect themselves in the contract after he failed a drug test at the Combine. An absolute terror off the edge in the SEC, Houston will compete for nickel rushing snaps with Cam Sheffield, who's no slouch himself.

-----

Not a bad couple of days. Mcclain and Hali yesterday, Carr and Houston today.

chiefqueen
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Don't celebrate until he passes the drug test as part of his TC physical.

suzzer99
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Woot. This almost makes up for losing 5% of my net worth today!

kchero
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Ha, you said what I was thinking as I scrolled down this thread.

Extra Point
08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Dancing bananas, to the fact that this guy's not named Sammy.

ReynardMuldrake
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
http://photos2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP678/k6782402.jpg

chiefqueen
08-04-2011, 04:38 PM
http://photos2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP678/k6782402.jpg

That's only one the thread topic is Houston signs.

suzzer99
08-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Did he sign at 4:20?

ReynardMuldrake
08-04-2011, 04:40 PM
That's only one the thread topic is Houston signs.

http://ec.pond5.com/s3/001117936_icon.jpeg

Stinger
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM

I chuckled.........

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Excellent.

BigMeatballDave
08-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Did he sign at 4:20?:thumb:

Mr. Laz
08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.dbadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/420_pot_leaf1.gif

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Awesome.

lcarus
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I was unaware he had so many off the field problems and that he failed a drug test.

John Locke
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I chuckled.........
me too

Huffman83
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
About effin time.

crossbow
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I was unaware he had so many off the field problems and that he failed a drug test.

Can't realy blame him. He did fine until he got to the math questions.

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Awesome.

bevischief
08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Per Rotoworld --

Chiefs signed No. 70 overall pick Justin Houston to a four-year, $2.78 million contract.
Houston took longer than expected to sign his rookie deal, perhaps because the Chiefs were trying to protect themselves in the contract after he failed a drug test at the Combine. An absolute terror off the edge in the SEC, Houston will compete for nickel rushing snaps with Cam Sheffield, who's no slouch himself.

-----

Not a bad couple of days. Mcclain and Hali yesterday, Carr and Houston today.

The holdout was over the guaranteed weed per year.

Bwana
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Outstanding, now keep your shit packed into one sock and go hit someone.

bevischief
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
So how much guaranteed weed did he get a year?

KcMizzou
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Better late than never. Guy didn't really miss much anyway.

milkman
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Me too.

Damn that gutter that I dropped that nickel in!

KcMizzou
08-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Me too.

Damn that gutter that I dropped that nickel in!LMAO I can relate.

Chiefaholic
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I was born in Richmond, MO.

JUst 10 miles Northeast of me

beach tribe
08-05-2011, 01:06 AM

It's the ONLY reason he didn't go late first round.

Dude is a bonafide first round talent that Pioli snatched in the 3rd!

RockChalk
08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
810 just reported that the Chiefs officially announced his signing.

Mentioned that the reason he didn't sign earlier is because his agent wanted full protection of the new CBA. He wanted to make sure it was ratified and in place. Stupid.

kepp
08-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Mentioned that the reason he didn't sign earlier is because his agent wanted full protection of the new CBA. He wanted to make sure it was ratified and in place. Stupid.

I can see the agent thinking it was a good idea initially, but once EVERYONE else (literally) signed, I'd think he'd reconsider.

RockChalk
08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I can see the agent thinking it was a good idea initially, but once EVERYONE else (literally) signed, I'd think he'd reconsider.

Well the strange thing about it is that the NFL guaranteed that all rookie contracts signed prior to the CBA being ratified would be covered under the CBA once ratified. So it really makes no sense to have waited for that reason. But that's the popular rumor going around.

ARROW2
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Have you told Arrow2?

:LOL: :bong:

kepp
08-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Well the strange thing about it is that the NFL guaranteed that all rookie contracts signed prior to the CBA being ratified would be covered under the CBA once ratified. So it really makes no sense to have waited for that reason. But that's the popular rumor going around.

That is odd then. Sounds like it's a cover story for something else happening.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Awesome.

Saul Good
08-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm willing to take him at his word and move on. We basically got two first round picks this year. Let's play some football.

-King-
08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Is he at practice today?

Mr. Laz
08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

wow ... that really does sound like an excuse because he wanted to make sure all the weed was out of his system.

The NFL should start taking hair samples LMAO

Saul Good
08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
wow ... that really does sound like an excuse because he wanted to make sure all the weed was out of his system.

The NFL should start taking hair samples LMAO

Is it super important to you that NFL players don't smoke weed?

chiefzilla1501
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM
It's the ONLY reason he didn't go late first round.

Dude is a bonafide first round talent that Pioli snatched in the 3rd!

I hate when people say this. Questionable characters get taken in the first round all the time.

It sounds like Houston showed up to the team ridiculously out of shape. I don't question he has first round talent, but there's a lot that leads me to believe he is going to be a chronic underachiever. I worry a lot about him, especially since he plays sucha n important position.

BossChief
08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Him getting gassed in his first practice in 100+ degree heat after no offseason conditioning program isnt a real reason for concern.

Veterans are having the same problem in areas of far less heat.

If he is still having these things happen in a month or two, we may have reason for concern.

I wish I was at camp so I could talk to him.

chiefzilla1501
08-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Him getting gassed in his first practice in 100+ degree heat after no offseason conditioning program isnt a real reason for concern.

Veterans are having the same problem in areas of far less heat.

If he is still having these things happen in a month or two, we may have reason for concern.

I wish I was at camp so I could talk to him.

That's not even close to the only thing that makes you seriously question his character.

Jonathan Baldwin had character issues too. He's done everything in his power this offseason to turn that perception around, and I love that he did that.

BossChief
08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Baldwin was drafted in the first round, though. He got that shot of confidence....Houston slipped all the way to the middle/end of the third.

Lets give Houston a chance to speak before we jump to any conclusions.

Hopefully, he makes some kind of statement like "Im gonna make the other teams pay for passing on me"

Like I said, his attitude and work ethic from this point forward will either make him Darryl Blackstock or Lamaar Woodley...time will tell.

Haley said in todays interview that he had a conversation with Houston and told him that he starts with a clean slate form this point forward and that he will put him into positions to succeed.

chiefzilla1501
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Baldwin was drafted in the first round, though. He got that shot of confidence....Houston slipped all the way to the middle/end of the third.

Lets give Houston a chance to speak before we jump to any conclusions.

Hopefully, he makes some kind of statement like "Im gonna make the other teams pay for passing on me"

Like I said, his attitude and work ethic from this point forward will either make him Darryl Blackstock or Lamaar Woodley...time will tell.

Haley said in todays interview that he had a conversation with Houston and told him that he starts with a clean slate form this point forward and that he will put him into positions to succeed.

All I know is...
In the most important job interview of his life, he was too stupid to stay off the pipe. He was criticized all the time in college for taking plays off He has first round talent but slipped big time to the third round. That doesn't happen unless GMs are really concerned with you. And to top it all off, he's a third round pick that held out in an already strike-shortened season. When does that ever happen?

And when that happens, some players take that as an insult. Houston didn't have any urgency to get into camp and, to my knowledge wasn't attending any of the offseason voluntary practices (Baldwin did), and now shows up to camp apparently very out of shape.

He's not getting off to a very good start. I hope he proves otherwise, but right now it's not looking good.

BossChief
08-05-2011, 10:16 PM
He could have ran a mile or two a day up until this point and still got gassed in his first hour of a real practice i that crazy heat.

All Im saying is that its a perfect storm and its hard to tell just how out of shape he really is.

Players are dropping like flies all around the league.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Is it super important to you that NFL players don't smoke weed?not even a little bit

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 05:51 AM
He could have ran a mile or two a day up until this point and still got gassed in his first hour of a real practice i that crazy heat.

All Im saying is that its a perfect storm and its hard to tell just how out of shape he really is.

Players are dropping like flies all around the league.

I get that. But I'm also pointing out the obvious--that Houston walked in with a lousy reputation in terms of work ethic, and showing up late (as a 3rd rounder--are you freaking kidding me?) and that report don't help. I get that he has to work his way back, but here's the thing... all his college career, critics got on his case about how he doesn't work hard enough. He watched his draft stock plummet two rounds because of it. You'd think he'd do everything in his power to get on the field and prove people wrong. I haven't seen that.

You know me. I give good character guys a lot of time to prove they're good/bad. On the flip side, I have seen too many low character guys find Jesus and then screw up 2 months later.

Houston worries the shit out of me. Because we really need him.

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 05:53 AM
not even a little bit

It matters to me big time when you don't have the common sense to put the pipe down before the most important job interview of your life. Between that and stupidly showing up to camp weeks late says a lot about the kind of bad advice he's getting.

BryanBusby
08-06-2011, 06:08 AM
ITT: Everyone around the age of 21 were totally responsible and didn't do stupid shit

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 06:27 AM
ITT: Everyone around the age of 21 were totally responsible and didn't do stupid shit

Again, I don't care about players doing stupid shit. I worry when it affects their play on the field. Most players don't walk in with the type of "on field baggage" that Houston carries. And if he can't keep it together when he's young and poor, how's he going to keep it together when he's young and rich?

I hope he proves us wrong. But right now, I don't have a good impression of him at all.

Coltman
08-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Lets give Houston a chance. This guy can be a beast across from Hali. We NEED him to succeed........

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Lets give Houston a chance. This guy can be a beast across from Hali. We NEED him to succeed........

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not saying at all that he won't get better.

All I'm saying is that Jonathan Baldwin is the perfect example of a character issue guy who has bent over backwards to change his image. I used to be a little worried about him being a diva, but I'm not anymore.

I don't feel that same way about Houston. Not yet. And it's going to take a lot more than a few good practices and a few positive quotes from the coaching staff to change my mind. Again, I really hope he proves me wrong. But right now, there are red flags all over the place.

milkman
08-06-2011, 08:15 AM
It matters to me big time when you don't have the common sense to put the pipe down before the most important job interview of your life. Between that and stupidly showing up to camp weeks late says a lot about the kind of bad advice he's getting.

"Weeks late"?

Embellish much?

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 08:23 AM
"Weeks late"?

Embellish much?

A little bit but not much. The labor situation makes any kind of a holdout ten times worse.

3rd rounders never hold out. Houston did. And he did it in an offseason where he had no contact with coaches and wasn't allowed to look at a playbook, let alone missing out on a ton of quality reps with the team that he needed.

Rookies already have a significantly steeper learning curve because they're several months behind. No reason to add on to it any longer. And if Houston is truly as out-of-shape as it sounds, then he could be held back a few weeks longer -- you can't get quality reps if you're getting gassed within a half hour and dogging it the rest of practice.

milkman
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
A little bit but not much. The labor situation makes any kind of a holdout ten times worse.

3rd rounders never hold out. Houston did. And he did it in an offseason where he had no contact with coaches and wasn't allowed to look at a playbook, let alone missing out on a ton of quality reps with the team that he needed.

Rookies already have a significantly steeper learning curve because they're several months behind. No reason to add on to it any longer. And if Houston is truly as out-of-shape as it sounds, then he could be held back a few weeks longer -- you can't get quality reps if you're getting gassed within a half hour and dogging it the rest of practice.

Sorry.

Camp started last week.

"Weeks late" is ****ing bullshit.

I am not defending the dumbass for holding out, but to say he showed up to camp "Weeks late" is absolutely a big embellishment.

Don't be a dumbass, dumbass.

chiefzilla1501
08-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry.

Camp started last week.

"Weeks late" is ****ing bullshit.

I am not defending the dumbass for holding out, but to say he showed up to camp "Weeks late" is absolutely a big embellishment.

Don't be a dumbass, dumbass.

We can argue semantics all you want.

As far as I'm concerned, every rookie is showing up to work a few months late. This was an extra week on top of that. So fine, "weeks" wasn't the right word to use, but nevermind that Houston's one-week holdout is a hell of a lot more damaging than a rookie in 2010 who held out for 3.