PDA

View Full Version : Life Losing your wallet sucks

The Bad Guy
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Lost my wallet tonight while at Lowe's. Had my credit cards, pictures of my son, a few gift cards I was planning to use on my next stop. Also had a piece of paper with my checking account number, which I put in there just today because I also had to go to the bank.

Someone def picked it up and didn't return it because I combed that Lowe's like a crime scene. Hoping that someone dropped it in the mail, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fucking sucks.

Bugeater
08-08-2011, 09:26 PM
How the hell did you lose it at Lowe's?

The only time I've ever lost mine was when I was wearing a pair of shorts with no pockets, and I set it and some other stuff on top of my car at night while I unlocked the door, and I grabbed the other stuff and forgot the wallet. Drove off and it was gone.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 09:26 PM
My two greatest fears in the world are the Yellowstone supervolcano and losing my wallet.

I was out of town this week and accidentally left a credit card at a restaurant. I didn't realize it until I was 100 miles away, so I had to sigh and cancel it. It stank because I actually had that card number memorized so I don't have to pull it out when I'm making an online purchase. Now I'm going to get a new number.

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear that. I've never lost mine. I freak out if I can't locate it in 30 seconds.

Nightfyre
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Eh. These things have a tendency to turn up. (generally right after you cancel all your cards and just got out of the DMV getting a replacement license.)

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM

The only time I've ever lost mine was when I was wearing a pair of shorts with no pockets, and I set it and some other stuff on top of my car at night while I unlocked the door, and I grabbed the other stuff and forgot the wallet. Drove off and it was gone.

It should be illegal to manufacture shorts with no pockets. I hope you got them for Christmas or something and didn't willingly buy them.

cabletech94
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
hey bad guy, doesn't lowes have a security camera?
i'm sure you've already done this.
at least if someone grabbed it, they probably got in their vehicle in said parking lot.
(yes, i'm from a small town and these things are easily traced).

The Bad Guy
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Had it in a shallow pocket.

Didn't realize it was gone until I went to pay. Traced all my steps, nothing.

I pray it turns up, but the customer service desk was about the unfriendliest pack of assholes I've ever seen.

KurtCobain
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I've drove off with my wallet and other various things on top of my car four or five times now. It blows. Three replacement IDs in a year and about a hundred and fifty bucks lost. Not fun.

cabletech94
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
dude, nevermind. thought you lost it in parking lot.
apparantly i never learned to read.

Bugeater
08-08-2011, 09:34 PM
It should be illegal to manufacture shorts with no pockets. I hope you got them for Christmas or something and didn't willingly buy them.
It was a long time ago so I don't recall the circumstances regarding how I got them, but I'm fairly certain I didn't buy them myself.

The Bad Guy
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I've drove off with my wallet and other various things on top of my car four or five times now. It blows. Three replacement IDs in a year and about a hundred and fifty bucks lost. Not fun.

The big loss for me are the pictures of my son and the slip with my bank account on it.

I have a shitload of bills tied into the account that are auto drafted each month. It's going to be a huge, huge pain in the ass if I have to cancel that account.

I'm going to the bank tomorrow to see if they can put a note on my acct. that requires ID for all transactions made at the window.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM

You should consider storing that stuff inside the car.

DMAC
08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Got really drunk in Memphis once, and thought i got pick pocketed.

3 hours later, and all 3 of those hours being SUPER pissed off, i realized my wallet was in my front pocket. :facepalm:

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Got really drunk in Memphis once, and thought i got pick pocketed.

3 hours later, and all 3 of those hours being SUPER pissed off, i realized my wallet was in my front pocket. :facepalm:ROFL

LiveSteam
08-08-2011, 09:39 PM
fag bags

Bugeater
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM

I pray it turns up, but the customer service desk was about the unfriendliest pack of assholes I've ever seen.

Well that sucks. Hell it was probably one of their lowlife employees that picked it up.

KcMizzou
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Quick "I'm an idiot" story....

I once left my wallet on the hood of my car (on my way to work). Don't remember why... I was screwing around up there, but the car had a black "bra" and it was a black wallet. On the highway, it flew up and hit the windshield. I thought I'd hit a bird.

About 5 hours later I got a call from a Yellow Freight truck driver. The guy had spotted my wallet, pulled over and picked it up, and found my business card inside. He called me at work. Wanted to let me know so I could come get it. It had like 40 or 50 bucks in it, and I tried to give it to him as a reward, but he wouldn't take it. Just said something like, "It's no problem. I just figured someone would be missing it."

True story.

Bugeater
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
At least you know how that store feels about you as a customer now. There was one time I had pulled $300 cash out of my bank account for an upcoming weekend getaway I had planned, and instead of putting the cash in my wallet, my dumb ass just stuck the bank envelope with the cash in it in my back pocket next to my wallet. Shortly after that I stopped at an Amoco for something, pulled my wallet out, and didn't realize the envelope came out with it and fell on the floor.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized I didn't have it, so I called the Amoco on a whim to see if it turned up, and sure enough the lady that answered said that the cashier had found it and to come on by and get it. When I got there, the cashier that found it was present and I tried to give her $50 for her honesty and she was having none of it. Needless to say, that made a huge impact on me and for years I went out of my way to buy my gas and smokes at that station.

Demonpenz
08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I lost a meat wallet once, she was also on the floor at lowes accepting a purchase from a worker. I got my game up, kept my numbers tight, and there were meat wallets ready for me to slide in my Love Credit Cart. This Meat Wallet is good for aTm as well.

Bugeater
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Quick "I'm an idiot" story....

I once left my wallet on the hood of my car (on my way to work). Don't remember why... I was screwing around up there, but the car had a black "bra" and it was a black wallet. On the highway, it flew up and hit the windshield. I thought I'd hit a bird.

About 5 hours later I got a call from a Yellow Freight truck driver. The guy had spotted my wallet, pulled over and picked it up, and found my business card inside. He called me at work. Wanted to let me know so I could come get it. It had like 40 or 50 bucks in it, and I tried to give it to him as a reward, but he wouldn't take it. Just said something like, "It's no problem. I just figured someone would be missing it."

True story.
And I bet after that you used Yellow Freight for all of your freight shipping needs.

KcMizzou
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
And I bet after that you used Yellow Freight for all of your freight shipping needs.Indeed. The parts place I work for sells Yellow Freight (Now YRC) all their parts nationwide. Huge account.

But that was even before the wallet thing..lol.

LiveSteam
08-08-2011, 09:56 PM
These are some great stories.
Anyone seen my car keys?

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I should say the reason I've never lost a wallet is because I obsessively check my pocket for it.

chefsos
08-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I should say the reason I've never lost a wallet is because I obsessively check my pocket for it.That's me. I do, however, try to casually swing my arm back there and bump it with my thumb when walking, just so I don't appear to be grabbing my own ass all the time.

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2011, 10:42 PM
That's me. I do, however, try to casually swing my arm back there and bump it with my thumb when walking, just so I don't appear to be grabbing my own ass all the time.ROFL That is hilarious because I do the same shit. My son makes fun of me.

Johnny Vegas
08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
dang. I left my wallet at hardees one time when I was out of town resurfacing a tennis court. I had left for home about 200 miles away and noticed I didn't have my wallet. Called Hardees and they had it and shipped it to me. Got it in the mail the next day.

Holladay
08-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Was just leaving the Army. I had all my vaction pay in said wallet. I went to Wal-mart. Put all the stuff on the hood of the car. Drove away. 5 min later, at the apartment, realized no wallet.....CRAP...there was $2000 in that thing.

While I was sweating bullets, the phone rang. Some old dude found my wallet in the parking lot. He giggled at my tone of voice. Yup, 2k, I'd be sweating bullets as well.

When I met up with him, I offered him $200 reward. Just as an older person would do, he delined. He said he was in my shoes 30 yrs prior...ex-military...not losing wallet.

BTW, this was at Fort Knox, 20 years ago.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-09-2011, 05:06 AM
9-Year-Old Gets His Wallet Back After Posting Handwritten Letter

Published August 09, 2011

| Associated Press

POQUOSON, Va. – A 9-year-old boy who left his wallet containing hundreds of dollars at a Virginia convenience store got it back after he posted a handwritten letter.

The Daily Press (http://bit.ly/oApwwJ) reports a woman returned the wallet and its contents to a 7-Eleven store in Poquoson.

The boy, identified only as Charlie, says he left the wallet on the counter while he was getting a drink.

The boy's letter which contained his photo were posted on the store's front door. It said the wallet contained more than $300 the boy had saved, along with gift cards he got for his birthday.

The letter ended with, "I hope whoever has it needed it more than me."

Store manager Marvin Ward declined to give further details on the woman who returned the wallet.

spanky 52
08-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Nothing worse than the panic that set's in when you realize you've lost or misplaced your wallet. Once left mine on the rear bumper of my pickup while I was doing some yard work. Elderly gentleman rang the door bell a couple of hours later asking if I'd lost my wallet, wouldn't take a reward. Hope you hear something positive today.

Dunit35
08-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Hope you find it. Some people are worthless maggots and will keep it. I bet it was that damn Sasquatch.

Anybody ever walk out of a store only to realize you didn't pay for something? I walked out of wal mart in KC last week with a KC hat on my head. I got to the car only to realize it was still on my head and not paid for it. I ended up walking back inside and paying for that.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Lost my wallet tonight while at Lowe's. Had my credit cards, pictures of my son, a few gift cards I was planning to use on my next stop. Also had a piece of paper with my checking account number, which I put in there just today because I also had to go to the bank.

Someone def picked it up and didn't return it because I combed that Lowe's like a crime scene. Hoping that someone dropped it in the mail, but I'm not holding my breath.

****ing sucks.

Sorry to hear that, you should carry a Man Purse/Satchel like me.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
don't worry about the checking account number. you do realize it is on every check you write?

DMAC
08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
That's me. I do, however, try to casually swing my arm back there and bump it with my thumb when walking, just so I don't appear to be grabbing my own ass all the time.

I also do this quite a bit.

The ol "spectacles, testicles, wallet, and watch" test.

Otter
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
After losing mine about 3x all I carry is cash and an ATM card in mine. Don't even carry my license unless I'm going to a place I'll need it (Amtrak, airport etc). I've heard nightmare stories about identity theft and can't imagine the red tape involved in getting all that stuff straightened out.

Sucks man, best of luck.

Nzoner
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
The big loss for me are the pictures of my son

I hear you,when I was 9 years old my grandmother gave me a keepsake of my great-grandfather's first driver's license and I put it in my wallet for safekeeping.Later that year after my 10th birthday I had $40 and the license in the wallet and lost it.To this day it makes me sad to think about my grandmother's expression when I told her what happened.

Iowanian
08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I Lost my wallet in college once. I had just made a sale of some art work and had around $500, which was big money at that time for me.

We finished a hunt where I'd walked over 1 mile through fields, brush, briars, over hills and ditches and creeks, and had backtracked while tracking animals. Getting in the truck I realized it was gone. I was physically sick.

The next day, while hunting the same property, a relative was crossing a creek and saw a $20 bill in the water....went upstream and found another, and literally followed a trail of Andrew Jackson's back to the wallet. I think there was still something like $350 found and I had it back and I was happy.

What a pain in the ass it would be to have to cancel everything and get new cards and IDs.

El Jefe
08-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I had a moment like this a few weeks ago. Went to Giant Eagle to pick up some gatorade for the guys at the shop, also picked up some lunch. Well I took everything out of my pockets and put it on top of the van while I loaded the stuff in it. I had to wait for a lady to get out of her parking spot to leave,well I left everything valuable on top of the car. I drove right across the street to Speedway to get a Big Gulp, and I felt my pocket and looked in the passenger side seat and everywhere else it could've been, no dice. It was hot that day, and all the sudden I felt as if I was going to have an apoplexy. I got dizzy and light headed, and just had sheer panic set in.

I Dukes of Hazzard sped out of Speedway back into Giant Eagle, threw it into park and jumped out of the car. I scoured the cart racks, because I couldn't remember putting it on top of the car at this point in time, and of course the one time the cart guys do their jobs is the time I need them not to. So I ask this kid if he saw a wallet and a cell phone and he says no and looks away, all I thought was "thanks for the help you little jerk". I ran inside and went to the cashier lane where I was, no dice, cashier who rang me up was gone. I go to customer service where they couldn't give a fat rats butt. I go out to the car and get back inside and just feel defeated, I put it into gear, and then back into park and hop back out and just pace around,well something caught my eye and it turns out it was on top of the van, it had slid all the way to the other side, but did not fall off, It was surreal, I couldn't have been more relieved. The fact it didn't fly off with my fast driving was truly an act of God.

I had over $800 in cash, and all the gift cards from our wedding gifts, my drivers liscence, my credit cards, a check from work, and a check from my wife's work, all totaling I would have lost 2k just in cash/checks. The bank was the 3rd stop after speedway, but I almost didn't make it.

joemama
08-09-2011, 08:41 AM
It stank because I actually had that card number memorized so I don't have to pull it out when I'm making an online purchase. Now I'm going to get a new number.

This sucks. My bank switched from Visa to Mastercard so I received a new number also.

SuperChief
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
That's me. I do, however, try to casually swing my arm back there and bump it with my thumb when walking, just so I don't appear to be grabbing my own ass all the time.

I do this religiously when I'm in a bigger city. I don't **** around when it comes to my wallet. I've never lost it (knock on wood), and I don't plan on it. I'd probably have a mild heart attack.

Otter
08-09-2011, 09:03 AM

You guys need to buy something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-Harper-Magnetic-Multicard-Color/dp/B000VZUYAK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312901740&sr=8-4) and keep it in your front pocket. Why do you need more than one CC or debit card and maybe a drivers license if you're going to a bar?

My old man has a wallet that I swear has every business card, credit card, ID card and notes from 1986 is in that thing. It's like he's carrying around a book in on his ass. It's ridiculous.

Keep the number to cancel whatever card you carry in your cell phone and you're only the the cost of the wallet and whatever cash you have on you should you lose it. Also, keeping it in the front pocked all but eliminates being pick pocketed.

Bad:

http://arachnerd.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/george-costanza-wallet.jpg

Good:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/142/b/AAAAC7qTAzwAAAAAAUKxFQ.jpg?v=1301903304000

Fat Elvis
08-09-2011, 10:48 AM

I bet they are in cahoots with the mortgage company you dumped.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I bet they are in cahoots with the mortgage company you dumped.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.

I'm also sure it was a massive chore for them to write down my name and phone number without cracking gum or giving attitude if it should turn up.

Valiant
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
You guys need to buy something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-Harper-Magnetic-Multicard-Color/dp/B000VZUYAK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312901740&sr=8-4) and keep it in your front pocket. Why do you need more than one CC or debit card and maybe a drivers license if you're going to a bar?

My old man has a wallet that I swear has every business card, credit card, ID card and notes from 1986 is in that thing. It's like he's carrying around a book in on his ass. It's ridiculous.

Keep the number to cancel whatever card you carry in your cell phone and you're only the the cost of the wallet and whatever cash you have on you should you lose it. Also, keeping it in the front pocked all but eliminates being pick pocketed.

Bad:

http://arachnerd.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/george-costanza-wallet.jpg

Good:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/142/b/AAAAC7qTAzwAAAAAAUKxFQ.jpg?v=1301903304000

Why do I keep my wallet? Which is fat most of the time.

For receipts. Why do I need receipts. For some reason if I need to go poop somewhere other then home some asshole peed all over the tp or there is none. Receipts. Only had to use them 3 or 4 times.

I do the constant self ass checking also. Left my wallet twice on my truck. Luckily both times it remained on the truck. Once in the windshied wiper slot and the other the leather just stuck to the top.

Dartgod
08-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Good:

This is what I use. There's no way after all these years that I could go back to sticking a wallet in my back pocket.

SuperChief
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

So . . . does that go inside your purse, or do you slip it into your gown?

Otter
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
So . . . does that go inside your purse, or do you slip it into your gown?

I goes in my front pocket and is maybe a 1/2 thick so it doesn't look like a tumor sticking out my ass and doesn't raise my one ass cheek up 2 inches on one side when I sit down.

Sorry dude, with cell phones to store numbers & names there's no reason to be carrying around a "dad wallet". Ask yourself what you need besides one or two cards and the cash that's in your wallet.

It's absurd. It's like some weird hoarder mentality.

Evolve! :D

vailpass
08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your wallet loss BG.

I carry 3 cards and my id in a slip case in my front pocket and hate having to do that.

Soon the need for wallets will be eliminated, Near Field Communications are just around the corner. Then everything will be in our cell phones and if you lose it it is already encrypted. Can't wait.

Fire Me Boy!
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
My wife lost her purse at college the same week she was moving to South Carolina. I was already in Myrtle Beach and she calls me, telling me she's lost everything. Which means she has no license, and no way to pay for the U-Haul she was supposed to get the next day. She's checked lost and found, reported it missing to campus police, etc.

We canceled the cards, had to pay to have them expedite new ones to us so she could move on time.

About an hour after I finished up all of that work, she gets a call from campus police. A girl in the library found her purse, but was late for class. So she went to class, and then took the purse to the cops.

And since we'd already canceled all the cards, the card companies couldn't reactivate them. Major, major pain in the ass.

Fire Me Boy!
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
I goes in my front pocket and is maybe a 1/2 thick so it doesn't look like a tumor sticking out my ass and doesn't raise my one ass cheek up 2 inches on one side when I sit down.

Sorry dude, with cell phones to store numbers & names there's no reason to be carrying around a "dad wallet". Ask yourself what you need besides one or two cards and the cash that's in your wallet.

It's absurd. It's like some weird hoarder mentality.

Evolve! :D

I keep my DL, two bank cards and one CC in a money clip. Rarely, if ever, carry cash.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
On a similar note, last month I came back from a business trip and I had $200 in cash (2 $100 bills) in an envelope in one of the side pockets of my cargo pants. I didn't think about it until after I'd taken them to the dry cleaners, and went hustling down there. The pants had been cleaned, and the envelope wasn't in the pocket. I've known the dry cleaner guy for over 15 years, and he believed me, but the woman in the back who does the cleaning said she didn't find anything. I'm 100 percent sure it was in there and even knew the pocket, and the dry cleaner guy was like, "I've asked her half a dozen times, and can't ask her any more", so he gave me $200 of dry cleaning credit. He's got a customer for life.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Lost mine once. Guy who found it sent it to me with the 3 bucks still in it. I sent him a thank you note with the 3 bucks.

Saulbadguy
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Why do I keep my wallet? Which is fat most of the time.

For receipts. Why do I need receipts. For some reason if I need to go poop somewhere other then home some asshole peed all over the tp or there is none. Receipts. Only had to use them 3 or 4 times.

I do the constant self ass checking also. Left my wallet twice on my truck. Luckily both times it remained on the truck. Once in the windshied wiper slot and the other the leather just stuck to the top.

I wipe my ass with 20 dollar bills

Frazod
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Haven't lost my wallet in a long time, although every now and then I'll leave my phone or credit card behind at a restaurant. I've gotten my lost stuff back every time but one - I had a Katana phone back when they were new and left it on the table at Red Lobster. We were there on an off night and the place was nearly empty. I'm about 99% sure the fucking waiter pocketed it, but there wasn't much I could do about. I gave that prick a really nice tip, too. :grr:

I guess as long as we're sharing tips and stories, here's a tip - when you pay for dinner with the credit card and hand it to the waiter/waitress, when you get it back in the little folder thing make sure it's your credit card, not a similar looking card that belongs to another patron. This happened to my boss last year, and neither him nor the other guy realized it until the next day. Ended up okay, but had the other guy been a scumbag, it might not have.

CoMoChief
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
lost mine once at a Royals game, was wearing some loose gym shorts, wallet fell out of one of the pockets and i didn't know it til I got to the car in the parking lot....went back to find it (guy let me back in), and of course, it was gone.

Cancelled all of my shit, had about $40-$50 in it.....what a fucking pain in the ass.