PDA

View Full Version : Money Stocks

Coach
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
So, what stocks would be good to consider buying? Which to avoid? Got some cash to play around, and would like to consider putting some on stocks with the hopes of making a nice profit out of it.

Share your experiences, do's, and don'ts.

Sofa King
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
If i knew the answer to that, i wouldn't be at work.

SuperChief
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
US Steel

Dayze
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
the one thing I know is, put all your money into one stock. That way when it goes up, you get a lot more money than if you had split your money up amongst various stocks.

SuperChief
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
the one thing I know is, put all your money into one stock. That way when it goes up, you get a lot more money than if you had split your money up amongst various stocks.

ROFL

Omaha
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM

:thumb:

Coach
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Got that part figured out, Captain! :thumb:

I'm just looking at some prospects that is looking pretty bad right now, but could have a big bounce after it.

Saulbadguy
08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
blue horseshoe loves anacott steel

tooge
08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
pork bellies, I knew it

Holladay
08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
vmx,f, come to mind. Find some lg cap with volitality. Those usually snap back the quickest.

CrazyPhuD
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
if it costs more than $0.10 a share it's a rip off!

CrazyPhuD
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
seriously though is asking people on the internet really the ideal way to pick stocks? Sounds someone to me like asking people online what your lottery numbers should be.

Bwana
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
seriously though is asking people on the internet really the ideal way to pick stocks? Sounds someone to me like asking people online what your lottery numbers should be.

http://www.powerball.com/images/powerball/pb_logo_1.gif

Tonights jackpot is 220 Million, any ideas? :)

Coach
08-10-2011, 02:54 PM

No, not really asking them to ideal way to pick stocks. I'm aware that the stock market is very highly unpredictable, but I was wondering about their experiences, what they gambled on, what they wished they did, so on, so on.

Bwana
08-10-2011, 02:56 PM
No, not really asking them to ideal way to pick stocks. I'm aware that the stock market is very highly unpredictable, but I was wondering about their experiences, what they gambled on, what they wished they did, so on, so on.

I bought some gold in 2008. I WISH, I would have bought more at the time.

Coach
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I bought some gold in 2008. I WISH, I would have bought more at the time.

Yeah, we (Wife and I) bought GRMN back in 2007 or 2008, when it was 40.00 (around the ball park) share, hoping that it would somehow jack back up to the 60.00's or more.

Needless to say, it's sitting right now at 30.52. FML.

Bwana
08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, we (Wife and I) bought GRMN back in 2007 or 2008, when it was 40.00 (around the ball park) share, hoping that it would somehow jack back up to the 60.00's or more.

Needless to say, it's sitting right now at 30.52. FML.

Heh, kind of like my MRK stock right now. Time will tell with that one though.

Coach
08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Heh, kind of like my MRK stock right now. Time will tell with that one though.

Yeah, in 2007, GRMN was like way above 110. Damn, how I would love to see GRMN get back in the 50-60's....

SenselessChiefsFan
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
http://www.powerball.com/images/powerball/pb_logo_1.gif

Tonights jackpot is 220 Million, any ideas? :)

Crap, I didn't win last week. I have been resisting looking at the ticket. I mean, I have several things at work to get done this week, and if I won....well, I wouldn't be very motivated, would I?

Bwana
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, in 2007, GRMN was like way above 110. Damn, how I would love to see GRMN get back in the 50-60's....

Yeah, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I'm still holding the 10 oz of gold I bought in 08, but at some point, that's going to drop off as well.

Fish
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Toilet paper and beer manufacturers.

Let it ride...

Bwana
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Crap, I didn't win last week. I have been resisting looking at the ticket. I mean, I have several things at work to get done this week, and if I won....well, I wouldn't be very motivated, would I?

LMAO

I would sure hope not.

Okie_Apparition
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Do you have to knock them out to get the head & both hands in the stocks before locking them?

BigRichard
08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Put all your money into AIG. I hear they are going to make a comeback.

CrazyPhuD
08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Toilet paper and beer manufacturers.

Let it ride...

Actually that's ironically enough not a bad idea. Really in this market you'll either want to be an active trader who buys and sells with volatility(fairly risky). Or you'll want to look for value investments, it is not at all clear how long this recession will last, one must prepare for the possibility it could be a long one(and it's already been on). If you want to be 'safer' with a hold mentality, you want to look for good dividend stock that are selling at a discount and ideally have a 'safe' dividend. A high dividend may sound good but the real question is, if the economy tanks will it still be safe? For instance on long profile stocks I own quite a few consumer staples with decent dividends and I also own tobacco stocks.

But really unless you want to do a lot of your own research or have someone you really trust that does, you may be better off finding a set of mutual funds that are low load and buy the ones that meet your long term investment strategy. Vanguard is known as having some of the lowest fee funds. If you're not doing your research then how different is your investing that gambling?

But remember the key bits, as the market is going down you want to buy in batches and you ideally want to have the cash to buy when it drops. Being 100% invested means you can't take advantages of discounts. On the counter as the market rises you want to progressively sell, this allows you to lock in some gains and provides cash reserves in the event that the market tanks again. What's the quote attributed to buffett...I made most of my money selling too soon.

Too many people sell too fast when the market goes down and buy when the market goes up, to a degree that's the opposite of what you'd like to do.

eazyb81
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
In with the orange juice futures.

eazyb81
08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Seriously though, now is the time to add a couple blue chips on the cheap to your portfolio. XOM is under 70, AAPL is under 365, INTC is yielding 4.2%, etc. I'm selfishly hoping for a disappointing jobless claims number tomorrow to drive another big pullback.

Saul Good
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I'm still holding the 10 oz of gold I bought in 08, but at some point, that's going to drop off as well.

Do you have the physical gold in your possession?

Bwana
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Do you have the physical gold in your possession?

It's in the safety deposit box.

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2011, 05:54 PM
JEC is a good buy for probably one year.

petegz28
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
If you want to get into the market I strongly suggest you look at a large-cap mutual fund. You are obviously not a stock picker and that's fine, most people aren't. The reason you want a large-cap mutual fund is these are the big companies, most with international exposure that pay dividends regularly. Take part of what you want to inveest and jump in. Then take the rest and average it in over time, like once a month in fixed alotments. Don't chase "last year's winners" and stay away from the small cap funds right now.

Saul Good
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
It's in the safety deposit box.

Smart move. I don't trust that the physical gold is there to match what is being sold on paper right now. Lot of sharks in the water right now. I would only buy physical gold.

petegz28
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
On the other hand, if you are wanting to buy individual stocks I would look at companies like McDonald's. They are huge, pay a dividend, have global exposure and are not going to go out of business tomorrow. If you want to take some more risk then I would suggest Apple. Stay away from banks and most tech companies unless you like a roller-coaster ride.

A couple others that are good are Coke and Yum Brands (own Taco Bell, KFC, etc).

PunkinDrublic
08-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Bluestar airlines just recieved a favorable ruling from the FAA that's going to open up several routes.

CrazyPhuD
08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
If you want to get into the market I strongly suggest you look at a large-cap mutual fund. You are obviously not a stock picker and that's fine, most people aren't. The reason you want a large-cap mutual fund is these are the big companies, most with international exposure that pay dividends regularly. Take part of what you want to inveest and jump in. Then take the rest and average it in over time, like once a month in fixed alotments. Don't chase "last year's winners" and stay away from the small cap funds right now.

As a related option, if you just want to trade say large caps there is a fairly easy way to do it. You can trade what they call ETF's(exchange traded funds). The simplest one that's large cap would be the SPY. This is a fund that is made up of a weighted balance of the S&P 500 companies and is designed to track the performance of the S&P. It's one of the lowest cost funds around and current yields a 2.17% dividend.

http://web.streetauthority.com/cmnts/sp/2004/04-19-spy.asp

Bwana
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Smart move. I don't trust that the physical gold is there to match what is being sold on paper right now. Lot of sharks in the water right now. I would only buy physical gold.

I hear that. I just wish I would have thrown about 30k at it back in '08. Oh well, what I have, starts to make up for the cock punch the market has taken, over the last few days.

wutamess
08-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I just went in and sold what money I had out there (at a loss) and threw it all @ Sprint (S). Great time to buy in. especially if you can get it under $3. It'll hit $4 in 3-6 mos. I usually make a couple thousand $ a year off of them. This is a perfect opportunity to do so.