PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs #37

luv
08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
So, tell me more about Joe Delaney. I've read that he set a couple of franchise records that remained in place for nearly 20 years, and he was the AFC Rookie of the Year? Did anyone see him play? How do you think he would have done with a longer career? Hall of Fame?

Direckshun
08-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I predict this will be a good thread.

Looking forward to some of the old schoolers weighing in on one of the greats to wear a Chiefs jersey.

gblowfish
08-11-2011, 08:17 AM
I saw his whole career. He was short but thick. Explosive fast. If you made Thomas Jones a little shorter, and gave him Charles' speed, add the ability to cut on a dime, you have Delaney. I don't remember throwing to him a lot out of the backfield, we'd have to go back and look at his receiving stats. Charles is the closest thing to him in a long time. He could break one at any time with just a crack of daylight.

And of course he was taken from us right as his career was starting to blossom.

luv
08-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I saw his whole career. He was short but thick. Explosive fast. If you made Thomas Jones a little shorter, and gave him Charles' speed, add the ability to cut on a dime, you have Delaney. I don't remember throwing to him a lot out of the backfield, we'd have to go back and look at his receiving stats. Charles is the closest thing to him in a long time. He could break one at any time with just a crack of daylight.

For him to have set franchise records and win ROY before even starting to "blossom"? Can you just imagine?

reschief
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
If Joe had one small opening, he would burst through it. He was small and unbelievably fast, but also tough. He was like our own Walter Payton, only faster. He passed away as a true hero giving his life to save a drowning child. I recalled how I felt when learning of his tragic death when DT passed.

mlyonsd
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
He was super fast, elusive, and had good vision. In a game against Denver his rookie year he broke a 75 yard run for a TD that was nulified by a penalty. Two plays later he did the same thing from 82 yards.

THAT was when I knew we had something special.

ForeverChiefs58
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Here are some video tributes to remember a true hero #37

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NmiWqg7MP58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/al_dZ6sejTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/waeeOjwdzzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4th and Long
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Delaney was 5' 10" and weighed in at 184lbs. He was damn fast and his cuts were incredible. They didn't throw to him as much as you see a back grab balls these days, mostly because he was a beast when you put the rock in his hand.

In 81 he caught 22 passes for 246 yards (11.2 avg) and in 82 he only caught 11 passes for 53 yards, but he was suffering from an eye injury too.

The guy set four franchise records that stood for 20+ years. IMHO, the guy had future Hall Of Famer written all over him.
Following Delaney's record-setting 193 yard rushing performance against the Houston Oilers on November 15, 1981, Oilers defensive end (and future Pro Football Hall of Famer) Elvin Bethea was quoted in saying: “ I've played against the best–O.J. Simpson, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton and (Delaney) ranks right up there with them. He is great with a capital G.
http://lswhs.leesummit.k12.mo.us/stuwebpages/5th11/Nastasi_Chiefs/Images/joe_delaney_patch.jpg

http://www.kcchiefs.org/media/hall_of_fame/joe_delaney.jpg

spanky 52
08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Worst day of my life as a Chief's fan was the day Joe Delaney died. Don't know if we'll ever see another Chief RB like him.

johnny961
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Guy was unbeleivable. The very first Chiefs game I ever saw in person I got to see him return a kick for a TD. He no doubt would have had an awesome career.

Direckshun
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
He was super fast, elusive, and had good vision. In a game against Denver his rookie year he broke a 75 yard run for a TD that was nulified by a penalty. Two plays later he did the same thing from 82 yards.

THAT was when I knew we had something special.

Heh. Awesome.

rocknrolla
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
So, tell me more about Joe Delaney. I've read that he set a couple of franchise records that remained in place for nearly 20 years, and he was the AFC Rookie of the Year? Did anyone see him play? How do you think he would have done with a longer career? Hall of Fame?

Rep. Great thread for such a great person and player.

luv
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Rep. Great thread for such a great person and player.

I "like" the Official NFL Shop page on facebook. They had a status about approaching 37,000 "likes" on their page. In honor of that, they asked who people thought the greatest player was to wear the number 37. I, of course, immediately named Joe Delaney. Others were saying Rodney Harrison, Deion Sanders, Shaun Alexander, Doak Walker, etc. It just made me wonder how much more well-known Delaney would have been, how great he would have been, had he had more time. I read some stuff, but just wondered how people on here felt and what they thought.

And thanks for the rep. Makes up for Saul's neg rep saying "stop"...lol.

stevieray
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
...when JD ran, he didn't run like other players... it was like he had another gear and he ran so fast and so smoothly, it was nothing short of poetry in motion...it's hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.

luv
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
...when JD ran, he didn't run like other players... it was like he had another gear and he ran so fast and so smoothly, it was nothing short of poetry in motion...it's hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.

I read where he ran track and field in college as well.

frankotank
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I was a senior running back in high school and remember very clearly when he died. I'm certainly not a dude who can quote verses or anything, but every time I hear (or read) Joe Delaneys name I think of this - and probably only know it so well because of him.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Chiefshrink
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Joe Delaney was the 1st Barry Sanders before there was Barry PERIOD. When Levy lost Barry Levy lost the Chiefs and never recovered. A damn shame.

Joe Delaney RULED!!!! in his short micro career:thumb:

Chiefshrink
08-11-2011, 02:49 PM

:thumb:

08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
He will always be one of my heroes. I only wish I could have seen him run in person.

Delaney37
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Joe was special. When my Dad and I watched him play my Dad said he looked like a man playing amongst boys. He had all the tools, vision, speed, power and hands. The only player I've seen play in my era that's kinda like him was Walter Payton but like what some of the posters said, he had a whole other gear he get hit. My Dad and uncle were long time KU football season ticket holders and they said watching Joe run reminded them of Gale Sayers because of his speed and the cuts he could hit. What could have been!

suzzer99
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Hearing that Joe Delaney died is one of the few times I remember exactly where I was.

stevieray
08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Joe was special. When my Dad and I watched him play my Dad said he looked like a man playing amongst boys. He had all the tools, vision, speed, power and hands. The only player I've seen play in my era that's kinda like him was Walter Payton but like what some of the posters said, he had a whole other gear he get hit. My Dad and uncle were long time KU football season ticket holders and they said watching Joe run reminded them of Gale Sayers because of his speed and the cuts he could hit. What could have been!

The painting that is your avatar hangs in the HOF at Northwestern State.

38yrsfan
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Hearing that Joe Delaney died is one of the few times I remember exactly where I was.

Same here, quite a shock as a Chief's fan. An incredible runner with amazing cut ability.

Delaney37
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
The painting that is your avatar hangs in the HOF at Northwestern State.

I didn't know that. I thank you again for posting it SR so I could use it as such.

chefsos
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
...when JD ran, he didn't run like other players... it was like he had another gear and he ran so fast and so smoothly, it was nothing short of poetry in motion...it's hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.It's weird...I always remember Joe as being a jitterbug. "Smooth" would have been just about the last word I'd have used to describe him. Seemed like he was all over the place, you know?

But I only saw a few of his games (on TV only) and memory does get fuzzy.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Sounds like his story would make a great movie. I really don't remember watching him, I guess I was too young. I wish I could have seen him play.

Delaney37
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/a-smile-for-the-ages-%E2%80%A6-tuesday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html

Click the link if you like. Bob Gretz nails it about Joe Delaney. Being the great Chief player he was, he was a better man!

evenfall
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Great to hear these stories, for those of us too young. Thanks to all you older timers for passing them on.

Delaney37
08-11-2011, 07:20 PM
A little context of the times for the younger Chiefs fans. Prior to Joe being drafted in the 2nd round the team was on a big decline that started around 1974(year?). Seeing him play in 1981, I know it gave me a little glimmer of hope that this once proud team was on the rise again. With his tragic loss it would be another 7 or 8 years before I'd see that glimmer again. With Haley at the helm now I'm seeing that glimmer again!

luv
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't think I ever realized just how good he was. I really wouldn't mind getting his jersey. Think it will ever officially be retired?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't know that. I thank you again for posting it SR so I could use it as such.

And Stevieray painted it if I'm not mistaken but he's not going to brag about that.

chefsos
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't think I ever realized just how good he was. I really wouldn't mind getting his jersey. Think it will ever officially be retired?
I think if I ever buy a jersey (I haven't, ever) it would probably be 37. It's obscurity to non-Chiefs fans appeals to me. If people see you in it and ask you who that is, you get to spread the Delaney Gospel.

I think they should retire it officially, but the net result of the way they're doing it is the same.

Delaney37
08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
And Stevieray painted it if I'm not mistaken but he's not going to brag about that.

Well I'm honored to wear it as my avatar:thumb: I keep hoping one of these days I'll find the commemorative patch they wore on their jerseys in '83 for Joe. It would be a great addition to the rest of my memorabilia.

rocknrolla
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I think if I ever buy a jersey (I haven't, ever) it would probably be 37. It's obscurity to non-Chiefs fans appeals to me. If people see you in it and ask you who that is, you get to spread the Delaney Gospel.

I think they should retire it officially, but the net result of the way they're doing it is the same.

This. I was thinking the same thing. I have never really wanted a jersey. But when I do get one, it will be 37.

frankotank
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Well I'm honored to wear it as my avatar:thumb: I keep hoping one of these days I'll find the commemorative patch they wore on their jerseys in '83 for Joe. It would be a great addition to the rest of my memorabilia.

keep looking. apparently some are out there. this collection sold in 2010 and included that patch.
I can't find any Delaney hilites anywhere. anyone else look?

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=54717

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/54717_04_lg.jpg

Phobia
08-12-2011, 08:57 AM
NFL Films is working on another Delaney feature. I've been playing phone tag with the producer for a couple weeks.

Delaney37
08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Phobia;7819202]NFL Films is working on another Delaney feature. I've been playing phone tag with the producer for a couple weeks.[/QUOTE

Looking forward to seeing that. As for the patch I know they are out there but it always seems I'm a day late or a dollar short:banghead: I'll find one eventually:thumb:

RedNFeisty
08-12-2011, 03:49 PM
This is a good read..... http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/cchatter81.htm

by CK Rairden
Landmark columnist

"If this just saves one child…..it will all be worth it.”

It’s been stated a thousand times, usually as rhetoric with no substance. I know a substantive story where one child was saved, at a cost most would not be willing to bear.

A bit over 19 years ago, a young 24-year old man had everything going for him. His career had taken off, he had a loving wife and three children and his future was mapped out in the National Football League.

On June 29, 1983 that all changed with three children’s cries for help. At Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana this young NFL athlete answered a call to be extraordinary.

Joe Delaney had beaten all the odds for his entire life. Discouraged by his father to pursue his dreams of playing football, Joe went on to star at the small college of Northwestern State University. He was noticed by the Kansas City Chiefs and selected in the second round of the 1981 draft.

He rewarded the Chiefs franchise, then at a lowly state throughout the league, with a record setting performance. He gained over 1,100 yards, played in the Pro Bowl, and was named the team MVP. In 1982, the strike-shortened season interrupted what was surely to be Delaney’s second season of many successful campaigns in the NFL.

The strike was settled and the Chiefs held hope for 1983, with plans for Delaney to return as the team’s star running back. Then fate stepped in.

On that fateful June day in 1983, much of the hope for the Chiefs as a team was squelched. At the same time, much of the hope for mankind was lifted up, squarely on the shoulders of Joe Delaney. The scenario began when three kids had wandered into a “pond” and had gotten themselves into a life-threatening situation.

The children were screaming for help. Joe was at that park and became an extraordinary hero in the blink of an eye. Reports are that Joe instructed others nearby to call for help, while he acted. You see Joe Delaney could not swim, but he knew without his intervention these children would surely perish in that pond of water in the park.

Joe waded into the water and managed to get one of the boys to the bank of the body of water. That child was saved. Then as extraordinary heroes do, Joe went back for the other two children. He would never return from the water alive. The other two children he attempted to save also perished on this June day in 1983.

The term hero was properly redefined last September after being over used for trivial accomplishments for many years. This was not a trivial feat that Joe Delaney performed. He gave his life in an attempt to save three children that he did not know.

His selfless act produced more results than he could have ever delivered on any football field. He managed to save one child’s life at an extraordinary cost. His three children would grow up without a father and his young wife would be widowed. In this instance Joe Delaney’s sacrifice saved one child and in his selfless thought process, it was worth it.

He was and is a hero and should not have been forgotten.

But for many years that‘s exactly what happened.

Sure, there were television cameras and reporters covering the event for a few days in 1983. President Ronald Reagan recognized the sacrifice and awarded Joe the Presidential Citizen’s Medal in July of 1983. Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt set aside Delaney’s jersey No. 37 that year. A member of the Kansas City Chiefs will never again wear it.

But too many folks in the Chiefs’ organization forgot. His number is not in the Chiefs “Ring of Honor” that surrounds Arrowhead Stadium.

And now two generations of Chiefs’ fans know little of the small running back with the huge heart and the blazing speed. When you gaze upon the ring of honor that surrounds Arrowhead Stadium, you should see the raised black letters stating [37 Joe Delaney.] But still you don’t, and that’s a shame. Joe Delaney deserves that honor for his play with the team even though his time with the Chiefs was cut short due to his heroic act of self-sacrifice.

An organization of die-hard Chiefs fans emerged two years ago to honor the memory of Joe Delaney. The foundation is determined not to allow the budding Chiefs superstar, and more than that, a heroic man’s memory, to fade away. That group has formed a non-profit organization called 37 Forever http://www.37forever.org.

This group has an upcoming golf tournament planned for Friday, Sept 27th at 10:00 AM, at Staley Farms in North KC. The group is also planning a banquet on the following Saturday, September 28th at the banquet facility at www.adamspointgolfclub.com.

According to the group the proceeds from these events are set up to sponsor water safety classes and swimming lessons for at risk youth in the Kansas City area. There are a variety of options for the golf tournament on Friday and the cost for the banquet on Saturday is $50. Check out the 37 Forever web site to see the price options for the Friday golf tourney.
The group will also be “tailgating” before the home game against the Dolphins on Sept. 29th.

Many of the foundation are Chiefs fans from outside of Kansas City and are asking for support from local folks who believe that all children in the Kansas City community deserve to be taught water safety. If you wish to help, you can drop a line to phil.kloster@37forever.org.

This is a worthy cause, brought about by a hero who once played for the Kansas City Chiefs. Joe Delaney’s memory may not yet be in the Ring of Honor of Arrowhead Stadium, but thanks to the 37 Forever Foundation it can be realized for youths by instruction in water safety.

And with some hard work and some luck, a new generation of KC Chiefs fans can remember a father, a husband, a hero and a former Kansas City Chief, number 37 Joe Delaney.

Phobia
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
This is a good read..... [url] If you wish to help, you can drop a line to phil.kloster@37forever.org.

Yeah, don't email me there. That's been dead for several years.

kysirsoze
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1029120/index.htm

Rick Reilly wrote this GREAT article about Joe Delaney. Definitely a good read.

frankotank
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1029120/index.htm

Rick Reilly wrote this GREAT article about Joe Delaney. Definitely a good read.

cool. I had been trying to find the name of the kid he saved. it's in here, LeMarkits Holland. found this article written July 1 2008. hope things have been going well the last three years. anybody find more current info I'd be interested in reading about it.

http://www.blackathlete.com/artman2/publish/Reflections_52/Joe_Is_Still_With_Us.shtml

rocknrolla
08-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Is he in the ring of fame at Arrowhead? If not he really should be.

frankotank
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
another good article.

http://www.brianvernellis.com/2010/01/remembering-joe/

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Absolutely!

I was there the game they unveiled it - sitting right across the stadium from it.

I'll post the pics tonight after I get home.

frankotank
08-16-2011, 12:10 PM

I don't believe he was??? It's not there now.

luv
08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
cool. I had been trying to find the name of the kid he saved. it's in here, LeMarkits Holland. found this article written July 1 2008. hope things have been going well the last three years. anybody find more current info I'd be interested in reading about it.

http://www.blackathlete.com/artman2/publish/Reflections_52/Joe_Is_Still_With_Us.shtml

Wow. I teared up reading that.

luv
08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Absolutely!

I was there the game they unveiled it - sitting right across the stadium from it.

I'll post the pics tonight after I get home.

I've got pics as well. Dad's season tickets were right below his name.

I was at that game, too. Against the Houston Texans, right? That was my first ever game at Arrowhead.

frankotank
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I haven't been to arrowhead since the renovation. I thought the took down the ring of honor???

luv
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I haven't been to arrowhead since the renovation. I thought the took down the ring of honor???

They did. :(

It's one of the items that flashes up for just a moment on the sign around the ring.

rocknrolla
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't been to Arrowhead since 1991. So I obviously have not been to the new Arrowhead. Do they have anything for him in the new hall of honor?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry, was a bit under the weather last night.

Along with the pic of the unveiling, I added in some pics from the pre-game tailgating that was going on.

It was my first time at Arrowhead and I had a blast. Unfortunately, we didn't come away with a win thanks to that 103 yard Trinterception (which happened right in front of me), but that didn't take anything away from the Banquet or the fun of meeting all you guys.

luv
08-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Sorry, was a bit under the weather last night.

Along with the pic of the unveiling, I added in some pics from the pre-game tailgating that was going on.

It was my first time at Arrowhead and I had a blast. Unfortunately, we didn't come away with a win thanks to that 103 yard Trinterception (which happened right in front of me), but that didn't take anything away from the Banquet or the fun of meeting all you guys.

Wow. I'm pretty sure that's my backside in the last picture. I remember walking over and meeting people with dad and tommykat, but I wasn't a member here yet so I had no clue who I was meeting...lol.

Phobia
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I haven't been to Arrowhead since 1991. So I obviously have not been to the new Arrowhead. Do they have anything for him in the new hall of honor?

Yes. His bust is featured just like every other member of the hall of honor.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow. I'm pretty sure that's my backside in the last picture. I remember walking over and meeting people with dad and tommykat, but I wasn't a member here yet so I had no clue who I was meeting...lol.

I was thinking that was Jazzlovr... That was the one bash/game I've been to and I remember those pics. Could be you though....?

luv
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I was thinking that was Jazzlovr... That was the one bash/game I've been to and I remember those pics. Could be you though....?

It's me. I'm standing next to dad, and I recognize those capri pants.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
It's me. I'm standing next to dad, and I recognize those capri pants.

Well then like I said it's you.

:)

Jazzlovr's hair was longer too come to think of it.

Huffmeister
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
This is a good read..... http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/cchatter81.htm

by CK Rairden
Landmark columnist

Didn't CK Rairden used to post here?

milkman
08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Joe Delaney was what everyone envisioned that Reggie Bush could be.

Vision, burst, surprising power, and dynamic.

He had the ability to make you miss, but also that innate instinct to always take what was there, to move forward.