PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Officiating: Officials to Review EVERY Scoring Play?

CoMoChief
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
WTF is this all about? I was unaware of this rule change until just about a few mins ago. This is absolutely fucking stupid....C'mon EVERY scoring play? There should be referee discretion as to whether a play needs to be reviewable or not.....not to review every scoring play when it's blatantly obvious when a team scores a TD.

It kills the team's momentum created from the TD drive, and it takes the crowd out of the game because it just takes to damn long.

Seriously, what's the point of this?

KurtCobain
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
The point is to fuck the game up. We're not supposed to like the NFL anymore, remember?

Bearcat
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
The booth sends a page to the ref stating if the play will be reviewed.

Bowser
08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Coach said it in another thread - so the NFL can air more commercials and make more money. Kind of conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM

aaaaaaaand end of thread

DaFace
08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I've got no issue with it. It's not like they're going to the video booth every time or anything. It's just like the last two minutes of the game when the guys in the press box can buzz down if they think something's close.

chefsos
08-11-2011, 08:06 PM
It kills the team's momentum created from the TD driveTD drives are typically followed by kicking the ball to the other guys...

HotRoute
08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Next up arguing with an officials decision is grounds for suspension and fines. Nothing in the NFL is sacred anymore, goodell is single handedly ruining the game

CoMoChief
08-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Coach said it in another thread - so the NFL can air more commercials and make more money. Kind of conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't doubt it.

That's what I kinda thought at first to be honest....

DaFace
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Next up arguing with an officials decision is grounds for suspension and fines. Nothing in the NFL is sacred anymore, goodell is single handedly ruining the game

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gA0B58-xoZM/S-1d1qsZdvI/AAAAAAAABB0/FuB848J1djk/s1600/oh-the-drama.jpg

Basileus777
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
It's terrible. The pacing of a NFL game is already horrendous, this and the retarded kickoff changes just make it worse for little benefit. And if anything should be automatically reviewed, you should start with turnovers, not TDs.

CoMoChief
08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
TD drives are typically followed by kicking the ball to the other guys...

It kills the moment for the time being and takes the crowd out of it.....esp if it's clearly a TD and then it goes to review booth....fans will get tired of that REALLY quick IMO, and will find it annoying.

FD
08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
On 95% of touchdowns the "review" will not even register because there is nothing controversial to look at. This will just effect the close calls and I don't see anything wrong with reviewing those.

Bugeater
08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
It kills the moment for the time being and takes the crowd out of it.....esp if it's clearly a TD and then it goes to review booth....fans will get tired of that REALLY quick IMO, and will find it annoying.
That happens quite often as it is.

Mr. Laz
08-11-2011, 08:15 PM
got it from college

as long as the booth review guys don't fuck around and waste time, it's ok.

DaFace
08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

If it's clearly a TD, why would they feel a need to review it?

Bearcat
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM

I'll miss those lively debates where each side presents their argument, because the players always had a chance to change the ref's mind by intelligently explaining the situation from their perspective.

chefsos
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I've instructed my family to shoot me in the face with an aids bazooka when I begin to gripe like this.

KurtCobain
08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
They'll still fucking get it wrong. Like the booth knows what it's doing?

mcan
08-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Others have said this, but not super clearly. The rule change just makes it so that the upstairs crew CAN tell the on field ref to review the play. they won't stop the game to review anything unless the upstairs guys tell them to.

DTLB58
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
So that coaches don't have to use a challenge on scoring plays.

DTLB58
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Yep, After the play has been ruled a TD on the field whoever has the pager looks down and it reads either Review or confirm. If it's confirm nobody is even going to know the difference.

If it's Review, it will be reviewed on the field just like if it were called from the booth under 2 minutes. But your team will not be charged a challenge or timeout no matter the outcome of the ruling. That will be huge if there are several close scoring plays in one game.

Ugly Duck
08-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Officiating note from the Raiders/Cards game: At the coin toss a Raider player said "We want to kick off." The officials interpreted that to mean Oakland also had to kick off at the half. Ever heard of that?

kstater
08-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Officiating note from the Raiders/Cards game: At the coin toss a Raider player said "We want to kick off." The officials interpreted that to mean Oakland also had to kick off at the half. Ever heard of that?

Sounds like Oakland wasn't smart enough to defer. They instead chose to kick off, leaving the 2nd half choice to the Cardinals, who unsurprisingly, chose to receive.

But thanks for giving us something else to laugh at the Raiders about, because no one would have known otherwise.

Extra Point
08-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Sounds like Oakland wasn't smart enough to defer. They instead chose to kick off, leaving the 2nd half choice to the Cardinals, who unsurprisingly, chose to receive.

But thanks for giving us something else to laugh at the Raiders about, because no one would have known otherwise.

Spoken everso diplomatically!

Okie_Apparition
08-12-2011, 06:02 AM
The home team will show the TD on the jumbotron several times working the fans up. The away team scores...maybe scores around the league or a buy season tickets commercial

Saulbadguy
08-12-2011, 07:06 AM

You are an idiot.

CoMoChief
08-12-2011, 07:12 AM
You are an idiot.

Ah...another crappy saulbadguy post....

Bob Dole
08-12-2011, 07:13 AM
So that coaches don't have to use a challenge on scoring plays.

We have a winner.