PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley did the right thing..

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Most of our starters just got to camp last Thursday. I think he played this game smart. Treat it as a practice. Aside from the magic he did were somehow he got Cassel to throw 3 passes without every throwing a pass, I think the approach was overall the right one. Actually the running game started looking good until Battle decided he was ready to hit the bench.

All in all, we got to look at some young talent, our starters didn't get hurt (because most didn't play) and that's good. They need another week to get their legs, no sense in getting guys hurt especially when they have been there a week.

ArrowheadHawk
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
:thumb:

kstater

Inexcusable performance from Cassel.

Mr. Laz
on the other hand, how much do players learn when they can't even walk a straight line without tripping over themselves?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Agreed. No legit TD's playing against backups. This isn't bad. Only the fools will freak out tonight.

Extra Point
08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
"Which one of you scrubs wants to make 25 gees? Allright, then, take the QB's head off!

keg in kc
I don't have a problem with it. I thought it was hilarious while I was watching actually. I mean, we're running in 2nd and 3rd stringers for evaluation while Josh Freeman's trying to move the ball with the first string offense. By that point, it's like 'yep, they don't give a shit about the score.'

Everybody looks to be through the first half healthy, which is the real key.

King_Chief_Fan
hard to argue this

Bugeater
08-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Ah yes, Pete's weekly "Thread That Should Be A Post In The Gamethread" thread. I sure did miss these.

Reaper16
08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Right thing for the team? Sure, I can agree with that.

The right thing for the paying customers? Absolutely not.

-King-
Yup, give the starters more time to practice before they have to play a game. Good plan.

DaFace
The fact that you even need to post this is somewhat depressing. Anyone who seriously gives a shit about the score in this game AT ALL has serious issues.

kstater
Ah yes, Pete's weekly "Thread That Should Be A Post In The Gamethread" thread. I sure did miss these.

Give him a break. He's in preseason form too. It'll take all 4 weeks to get to where he's able to post 8 of these during the game.

BossChief

the players were locked out, but the dumbass posters are in mid season form.

Phobia
08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't have a problem with it. If I had paid $100 to get in I'd be pissed.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

I didn't want to disappoint. :thumb:

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 07:41 PM

The right thing for the paying customers? Absolutely not.I can think of a counter-argument to that. Get people hurt now, the team tanks. Which is worse? A couple of lame preseason games, or tickets you don't want in October, November and December. Not to mention the lost opportunity for a potential January game.

(Best solution of course would be to take preseason games off the ticket packages, which ain't happenin...)

Extra Point
08-12-2011, 07:42 PM
The fact that you even need to post this is somewhat depressing. Anyone who seriously gives a shit about the score in this game AT ALL has serious issues.

That's all fine and good, but you must have never played.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM

If as a fan, you expect to see good football in the 1st pre-season game, regardless of the off-season situation then you are setting yourself up for a disappointment anyway.

the Talking Can
08-12-2011, 07:44 PM
i wouldn't have even played cassel....

keg in kc
i wouldn't have even played cassel....They didn't, really. Although he could have taken a hit on the fumble.

Reaper16
I can think of a counter-argument to that. Get people hurt now, the team tanks. Which is worse? A couple of lame preseason games, or tickets you don't want in October, November and December. Not to mention the lost opportunity for a potential January game.

(Best solution of course would be to take preseason games off the ticket packages, which ain't happenin...)
Or cancel the entire preseason.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2011, 07:45 PM
We can just sit the starters for all 4 preseason games then we will be uber healthy for the regular season.

Super Bowl Here We Come!!!!!!!!!!

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Or cancel the entire preseason.I don't think they should cancel it. Cut it down to 2 games maybe. I think they do need some prep. You won't see KC doing this during the 2nd and 3rd games...

KCChiefsFan88
08-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Patriots treated their game yesterday like a practice (didn't even play Brady) and hung close to 50 points.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Patriots treated their game yesterday like a practice (didn't even play Brady) and hung close to 50 points.

I'm real proud of them....

DaFace
08-12-2011, 07:52 PM

So, based on your logic here, is it safe to say that any team who scores fewer than 50 points in a preseason game would not be up to your standards?

kstater
08-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Yes, but Brady didn't score any points, so once the season starts and he's out there, the Pats won't score any points.

-King-
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Philly treated their game like a real game (starting Vick) and only hung up 13. Clearly they're going to be drafting top 5 next year.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Some coaches want to win the games in pre-season. Denny Green was really big on that. Most coaches want to evaluate players.

I remember one year in pre-season Arizona blew us out of the ****ing water at Arrowhead. All the talk then was we were gonna suck and the Cards were awesome sauce under Buddy. Later that season when we played them and it counted Steve Bono broke off a 70+ yard run and we kicked the living **** out of them.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Philly treated their game like a real game (starting Vick) and only hung up 13. Clearly they're going to be drafting top 5 next year.The Chargers played their starters for several series last night but lost to Seattle. They're doomed.

KCChiefsFan88
08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Philly treated their game like a real game (starting Vick) and only hung up 13. Clearly they're going to be drafting top 5 next year.

Philly scored a TD with Vick in the game. San Diego scored a TD with Rivers in the game.

The Chiefs didn't attempt a pass and had 2 turnovers with Cassel in the game.

Preseason is preseason, but you'd like to see your team at least look like an NFL-caliber team, especially when the starters are in.

The Chiefs look like a UFL tryout team tonight.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Philly scored a TD with Vick in the game. San Diego scored a TD with Rivers in the game.

Preseason is preseason, but you'd like to see your team at least look like an NFL-caliber team, especially when the starters are in.

The Chiefs look like a UFL tryout team tonight.

San Diego took a huge chance playing their starters that much and their running game looked like total ass.

All things considered, the Chiefs haven't looked as bad as the score.

KCChiefsFan88
08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
All things considered, the Chiefs haven't looked as bad as the score.

Actually they look worse than the score indicates.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

I don't think so. We were pinned at the 10 our first two possesions. You want Cassel dropping back in that siutation in the 1st pre-season game?

Seriously?

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 08:04 PM
All things considered, the Chiefs haven't looked as bad as the score.I spent the first half wondering how in the world the Chiefs backups kept the score relatively close. I mean, Tampa didn't actually do very much on offense. I mean, get handed the ball on the 10 and you're pretty likely to get a touchdown. Other than that...pretty good for backups against starters. You'd think it should be a slaughter.

The offense on the other hand, backups didn't fair so well.

Ironically, if the situation was reversed, I would imagine there'd be a bit of concern that the Chiefs starters only managed 13 points against the other team's scrubs, and 10 of those points don't really count as good work by the offense, since they came off of short fields. Just one sustained drive? That's not very good.

If the situation was reversed.

DJ's left nut
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that's all well and good, but a season ticket to this fucking game cost as much as a ticket to the Raiders game.

I didn't go because I'm sick as all hell right now, but the fact that I put down $200 for tickets to this game as part of the ST package is just absurd.

I disagree with giving a game away, but ultimately I understand it (he really did punt this game). My real beef is with the NFL and their ability to include these tickets in ST packages at full price.

DJ's left nut
08-12-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you.

They've shown absolutely nothing at all. Obviously the real games wouldn't be anything like this, but this is an 0-16 effort. It's a pretty pathetic display, really.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I spent the first half wondering how in the world the Chiefs backups kept the score relatively close. I mean, Tampa didn't actually do very much on offense. I mean, get handed the ball on the 10 and you're pretty likely to get a touchdown. Other than that...pretty good for backups against starters. You'd think it should be a slaughter.

The offense on the other hand, backups didn't fair so well.

Ironically, if the situation was reversed, I would imagine there'd be a bit of concern that the Chiefs starters only managed 13 points against the other team's scrubs, and 10 of those points don't really count as good work by the offense, since they came off of short fields. Just one sustained drive? That's not very good.

If the situation was reversed.

I woul dhave liked to see our offensive backups do better but you don't know what's going through Haley's head either. Probably just calling some plays they ran through in camp knowing these are not going to be the guys playing next week at the start of the game.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
88, you are seriously at least 18% retarded.

morphius
08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I like the way we did it just for the fact that we will have some good tape on our second string versus first string players. But man, it is still painful to watch.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 08:17 PM
No Weigman, Charles, Mclain, Breaston, Dorsey, Gregg, Hali, Johnson, and who knows who else...

Cassel was there to hand off the ball only....

Tough to watch but most expected

Hammock Parties
08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
http://womenonthefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/do-the-right-thing.jpg

ArrowheadMagic
08-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Good thing I donated my tickets to Big Brother/Big Sister. Nothing to really learn from this but watching the rookies. Bailey isnt as stout against the run as expected. Houston looks ok, JBrown, has some work to do. All in all, probably the worst game to attend, in the history of preseason.

Ming the Merciless
08-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Inexcusable performance from Cassel.

LMAO

mlyonsd
08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd really just like one guy to step up and make a play on either side of the ball. Eventually someone needs to get pissed off enough to do something special.

mlyonsd
08-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Good thing I donated my tickets to Big Brother/Big Sister. Nice.

Molitoth
08-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Haley did the right thing..

Personally I think teaching the team how to win is the right thing, no matter what string it is.

petegz28
08-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Personally I think teaching the team how to win is the right thing, no matter what string it is.

We were 1-3 in pre-season last year......

kcchiefsus
08-12-2011, 08:36 PM

I don't think anybody should be concerned with the score, but our performance is certainly disheartening. Not many positives at all from this game. I'm not too worried yet, but if things don't improve next week I might start to be. Again, score doesn't matter but nobody on the team stood out and made plays.

milkman
08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't think they should cancel it. Cut it down to 2 games maybe.

I disagree with this.

I know it's hard for average fans to sit through these preseason games , and it is inexcusable for the league to charge full price for tickets, but 2 games is not enough to get a good evaluation of young players in real games.

RealSNR
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

The Chiefs look like a UFL tryout team tonight.Todd Haley was going to treat this preseason game as something more than a glorified practice session, but he was having too much fun doing your mom in the butt

RealSNR
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Inexcusable performance from Cassel.Repost, dumbass

kstater
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Repost, dumbass

Yes, I posted it a long time before you started your thread.

Dumbass

petegz28
08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I thought the run defense has looked pretty good for the most part. The pass defense sucks but we were playing soft zone most of the time

RealSNR
08-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, I posted it a long time before you started your thread.

DumbassAnd i had sex with your mom before you were born, dumbass.

fuck I'm drunk

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Soooo Bannon already has as many carries as a pro than he did at Yale....

Our scrubs are awful

L.A. Chieffan
08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Jesus that post was edited?

Beef Supreme
08-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah the score doesn't mean anything, but if it's about evaluating talent of the new guys, my evaluation is they lack it. Some pretty feeble tackling and blocking all the way around.

Valiant
08-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Meh.. preseason.. Ran vanilla offense/defense against a team actually running regular season plays..

GloryDayz
08-12-2011, 09:10 PM

This. To think, I flew in at 3:00 and had thoughts of taking the son to the game... Glad I did lawn work instead...

petegz28
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Jesus that post was edited?

I fixed a spelling snafu, if it makes you feel better

Rasputin
08-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Cassel threw as manny passes as he did in his college career, right on track.

T. Jones did good for a few good runs that was a good sign. Hope he doesn't hit the wall any time soon.

Give McCluster some opportunities and he is going to make some big time plays.

Stanzi is a stud QB in the making, he needs to be pollished, am most exited he is a Chief! He reminded me of Rothlesshamberger ability to bounce off attempted sacks or hits and make something happen.

Wasn't much there for the regular starters not playing, so kind of an incomplete performance. Freeman is one hell of a QB thow hat off to him.

We will get to see more in the next few weeks and get a good idea of where we are at. Am ready for next Friday Friday.

Bwana
08-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Yawn

A preseason game playing mostly our scrubs, no big deal.

CoMoChief
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
season's over.......thanks nfl lockout.....

petegz28
08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Yawn

A preseason game playing mostly our scrubs, no big deal.

Exactly. And as someone else said in the game thread, we came to play a glorified scrimmage and they came to play a real game.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Stanzi is a stud QB in the making, he needs to be pollished, am most exited he is a Chief! He reminded me of Rothlesshamberger ability to bounce off attempted sacks or hits and make something happen.

You just compared Stanzi to Rapshamburgers? Stanzi shares more similarities with Castle...unfortunately.

kstater
08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Cassel threw as manny passes as he did in his college career, right on track.

This isn't true.

Rasputin
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
You just compared Stanzi to Rapshamburgers? Stanzi shares more similarities with Castle...unfortunately.

I like Rothlesshamberger the football player not the person.

I like Cassel the person not the football player.

I think Stanzi showed some attributes that made Rothlesshambeger successfull by extending the play and avoiding sacks. Rothlesshamberger the football player is a winner and I'd like to think Stanzi will fit that bill. Cassel not so much.

Sure-Oz
08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

I was offered a free ticket to go with a friend, i declined knowing i'd spend money on food/drinks, i prefered to be lazy tonight like the chiefs

Reerun_KC
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I was offered a free ticket to go with a friend, i declined knowing i'd spend money on food/drinks, i prefered to be lazy tonight like the chiefs

How were they lazy if they were just evaluating and running a glorified practice?

Explain?

Sure-Oz
08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
How were they lazy if they were just evaluating and running a glorified practice?

Explain?

I'm so glad they wasted the fans time and money tonight. If they look like this in practice we are fucked

Reerun_KC
08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm so glad they wasted the fans time and money tonight. If they look like this in practice we are ****ed

Well I agree here... Charging anything for a preseason game is criminal...

You shouldnt have to pay for parking or the game...

Red Beans
08-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I want to see Stanzi take some snaps with the number one O. He can put the ball right on the money if he's go time. I know it's early, but....

Shaid
08-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Honestly he reminded me more of Thigpen, just sayin'. :doh!:

morphius
08-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm so glad they wasted the fans time and money tonight. If they look like this in practice we are fucked
The most frustrating part for me is the fact that people were forced to pay full price for a game the team decided to treat like a practice session. It isn't like the players are even getting paid regular game checks.

philfree
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
So what's the cost of putting on a preseason game compared to a regular season game?

lcarus
08-12-2011, 10:53 PM
The most frustrating part for me is the fact that people were forced to pay full price for a game the team decided to treat like a practice session. It isn't like the players are even getting paid regular game checks.

The way I see it, you should know what you're getting into when you buy a ticket to a preseason game. Admittedly, this is worse than most preseason games as far as seeing the starters, but Chiefs preseason games are typically pretty lackluster in the entertainment department. Even if the starters play a few series.

morphius
08-12-2011, 10:58 PM
So what's the cost of putting on a preseason game compared to a regular season game?
Well, if it is true that players are not paid for it, then you can figure it cost about 2.6 million less per team.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:12 PM

I really think the only reason Cassel even played the two series was to have him and Hudson more used to each other regarding snaps.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, that's all well and good, but a season ticket to this ****ing game cost as much as a ticket to the Raiders game.

That is a travesty.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I woul dhave liked to see our offensive backups do better but you don't know what's going through Haley's head either. Probably just calling some plays they ran through in camp knowing these are not going to be the guys playing next week at the start of the game.

I heard our OC fell asleep.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
But man, it is still painful to watch.

That it was. I'd watch the Chiefs on the tube just for the uniforms, but I had to switch channels at halftime.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:23 PM

I gotta go google this Castle dude now. Dammit.

lcarus
08-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I want to see Stanzi take some snaps with the number one O. He can put the ball right on the money if he's go time. I know it's early, but....

I wouldn't mind seeing him get some snaps behind some competent offensive linemen either. He has a ways to go, but I liked what I saw out of him in his first ever NFL game, considering the circumstances.

Frankie
08-12-2011, 11:26 PM

They've gotta that college bone out of his head first. That'll take some time.

Coach
08-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Just only am concerned about the quality of the back-up offensive line. Number 60 got beat like a drum. It's amazing that Stanzi didn't get Brokie'd out there.

And I'm honestly am getting tired of seeing Jackie Battle. I know he plays special teams, but man, it is painful to watch him run. I'd rather want to see someone else given a chance.

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Did you watch the game?

How many broken tackles did stanzi have in the last 2 drives? 8?

I'm not even kidding.........

Chronic
08-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Most of our starters just got to camp last Thursday.

Stop making excuses

Every other team got to camp the same time as we did. We looked like dogshit, came totaly unprepared and it was unacceptable.. pre-season or not.. this is a professional football team

royr17
08-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Stop making excuses

Every other team got to camp the same time as we did. We looked like dogshit, came totaly unprepared and it was unacceptable.. pre-season or not.. this is a professional football team

Yea but every other team was probably playing there starters, our coach went the smart route trying to protect the starters cause of the concern of the condition that some of our players were in.

If you wanna make a judgement on the game, to me all this was just like haley said was a practice, im sure you will see more of what you wanna see next week.

the Talking Can
08-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Stop making excuses

please fucking kill yourself

please

royr17
08-13-2011, 03:57 AM
im not going to go through read all of this bs, but anybody complaining about the game needs to just chill out, its only the first preseason games, and even the starters that matter didnt even play.

Chronic
08-13-2011, 05:45 AM
please ****ing kill yourself

please

You shut your whore mouth when I'm talking

BigCatDaddy
08-13-2011, 06:09 AM
I understand what they were doing, but damn that was a train wreck. THANK GOD, I had the Royals to flip over to better my evening.

Chiefnj2
08-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Haley might want to start practicing pass blocking. Just saying.

damaticous
08-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Most of our starters just got to camp last Thursday. I think he played this game smart. Treat it as a practice. Aside from the magic he did were somehow he got Cassel to throw 3 passes without every throwing a pass, I think the approach was overall the right one. Actually the running game started looking good until Battle decided he was ready to hit the bench.

All in all, we got to look at some young talent, our starters didn't get hurt (because most didn't play) and that's good. They need another week to get their legs, no sense in getting guys hurt especially when they have been there a week.

As little as my opinion matters, i agree, Haley "played this game smart"

Chief Faithful
08-13-2011, 06:55 AM
What I found interesting is what starters didn't play. The ones who didn't play are the ones most assured of starting giving the coaches more time to evaluate players. Given the team did not have all the OTA sessions during the off-season the evaluation time this first game is critical, thus, I was impressed by how Haley approached this game. The team just lined up without a game plan and let the players go head to head making it easy for the players to just react. Last nights game will be great for evaluation purposes.

I also found it interesting that Albert played and Richardson didn't. Was it because Albert needed the practice time? I tend to think it has to do with Gaither competing for LT not RT. The season may start with Albert being the first backup with Gaither and Richardson as starters.

Anyone who thinks last nights game has any indication on how the team will perform this season doesn't know the game very well.

milkman
08-13-2011, 07:15 AM
What I found interesting is what starters didn't play. The ones who didn't play are the ones most assured of starting giving the coaches more time to evaluate players. Given the team did not have all the OTA sessions during the off-season the evaluation time this first game is critical, thus, I was impressed by how Haley approached this game. The team just lined up without a game plan and let the players go head to head making it easy for the players to just react. Last nights game will be great for evaluation purposes.

I also found it interesting that Albert played and Richardson didn't. Was it because Albert needed the practice time? I tend to think it has to do with Gaither competing for LT not RT. The season may start with Albert being the first backup with Gaither and Richardson as starters.

Anyone who thinks last nights game has any indication on how the team will perform this season doesn't know the game very well.

The more likely reason that Albert played and Richardson didn't is that Albert has been in camp since the start, while Richardson didn't show until he was allowed to on the 4th.

royr17
08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
The more likely reason that Albert played and Richardson didn't is that Albert has been in camp since the start, while Richardson didn't show until he was allowed to on the 4th.

Albert and Richardson both played.

When I saw the starting offensive line on the field it was Albert, Lilja I believe, Harris, Asamoah, and Richardson.

the Talking Can
08-13-2011, 09:50 AM
You shut your whore mouth when I'm talking

if you won't kill yourself, at least kill your mom's uterus.....

Chiefsplanet begs you

YayMike
08-13-2011, 10:12 AM
There were two things that concerned me coming out of this "practice". I'm not the biggest Cassel fan, but God forbid something happen to him and we are in big trouble. Secondly, I understand the lack of a game plan, and I'm okay with that. But both Palko and Stanzi had NO protection to even have a chance to make any plays. Granted these are back-up lineman, but they got their asses kicked. Should injuries arise, it could be an issue.

Anything else...hell with it, it was just good to see football being played. Baldwin's effort really caught my eye and when i go back and watch the game again this afternoon, I can't wait to see how the other young guys did. I tell you what, Powe and Greenwood both looked pretty good watching the game live.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
i wouldn't have even played cassel....

Or Palko either for that matter.

Frankie
08-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Or Palko either for that matter.

I doubt that we will stay pat with the QBs that we have.

Who's out there in the FA market that we can sign?

go bo
08-13-2011, 03:29 PM
joe elway?