PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Arrowhead experience - Preseason game 1

Fish
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Well.......

Parking was a mess.. They decided to route the traffic in a clockwise fashion opposite from prior years. I always enter Gate 5, but they routed gen admin traffic the opposite way tonight. Made for a nice confusing flow of traffic. Filled up the expanded lot N. Which really sucked. Tailgating was cramped and the location sucked. Bullshit for $27 parking.

Entrances were slow.

Star spangled banner was good that little 9 year old girl had some pipes. Impressive.

Concessions were moving OK. But beer wasn't very cold.

The team didn't treat this game very seriously at all. Cassel never attempted a pass. Scrubs were in by the second series. It sucks that we pay full admission, full price for parking, full price for concessions, only to see a half ass performance by the team. I realize that the lockout screwed with preparation, but come on.. They barely tried.. I really hope the other preseaon games aren't treated with the same lack of enthusiasm. For the price we deserve better.

Overall, for as excited as myself and most fans were, it was a letdown. And I came into it expecting some serious rust.

Thoughts from other attendees?

Bugeater
08-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd be livid if I paid money to see that crapfest.

CoMoChief
08-13-2011, 12:06 AM
yeah no shit.....i was offered free tickets lower level to tonight's game and I declined because I didn't want to spend ANY money to see my team basically do nothing more than walk out onto the field in their game day uni's. It was nothing more than a glorified practice. Running game looked good at times, and it didn't rain, no one was seriously hurt....those are the only good things that came out of tonight.

And the SERIOUSLY need to move the ball back to the 30 for kickoffs....most kickers can kick it into the endzone anywas....this is stupid though....who in their right mind wouldn't kick the ball out of the endzone for a touchback? No one is going to return kicks this season unless opposing kickers give them a chance to...which they would be stupid in doing so, this takes the kicking game out of it.....and a return TD is one of the most exciting plays in the game.

DMAC
08-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Yep it was pretty pathetic. But I understand and figured it would be.

My kids loved it though and are super pumped to see the Chiefs play again.

I have cemented their fandom, and thats priceless.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 12:18 AM
The kickoff thing is awful.

It makes the best teams better and the teams who need special teams plays to fight, scrap and claw to victory worse.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 12:21 AM
We will see turnovers and big returns on kickoffs reduced to almost nothing.

Fish
08-13-2011, 12:25 AM
The kickoff changes seriously suck. Boring ass touchbacks might be prevalent this year...

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Imagine being down by 7 with 2 minutes left and the other team is kicking off.

Hey, you're starting at the 20 no matter what. No chance for a big dramatic return.

SUCKS TO BE YOU!

wasi
08-13-2011, 12:31 AM
The kickoff changes seriously suck. Boring ass touchbacks might be prevalent this year...

I think once the weather gets cold and it's late in the season, that little advantage will mean more kicks inside the 10.

L.A. Chieffan
08-13-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry, did u say $27 parking?

Fish
08-13-2011, 12:38 AM

Oi.... To park in the grass..

Coach
08-13-2011, 12:39 AM

Yes, $27 parking. It's a fucking disgrace.

rockymtnchief
08-13-2011, 12:40 AM

This x eleventy bazillion.

I feel sorry for anybody who paid airfare to go see that game.

Okie_Apparition
08-13-2011, 12:48 AM
The parking attendants got a catered suite with hotdogs & ginger ale

|Zach|
08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
When did the starts playing for 2 series become some big deal.

I guess I never thought the preseason games had an ounce of value to me but nothing that happened tonight changed that.

Fish
08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
When did the starts playing for 2 series become some big deal.

I guess I never thought the preseason games had an ounce of value to me but nothing that happened tonight changed that.

Well.... At least we didn't start the season with a 0-0 tie......

Just Passin' By
08-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Yes, $27 parking. It's a ****ing disgrace.

That's cheap compared to Foxboro.

GENERAL PARKING RATES

* $40 for cars
* $125 for RVs (enter P10 N from the North, Enter P10 S from the South)
* $125 for Limos (enter P10 from north or P7 from the south)
* $200 for buses (Enter P10 N from the North, Enter P10 S from the South)
* $40 for motorcycles (one per space)

All Gillette Stadium Lots are cash only.

Dartgod
08-13-2011, 01:28 AM

GENERAL PAHKING RATES

* $40 for cahs
FYP

Fish
08-13-2011, 01:34 AM

Different market teams... Different demographic environments. Thousands upon thousands more parking spots for Arrowhead, especially considering the recent Arrowhead parking additions. Not really comparable...

kysirsoze
08-13-2011, 01:44 AM
I feel sorry for anybody who paid airfare to go see that game.

If you fly in to see a preseason game, let alone the first one, I have no pity for you.

pr_capone
08-13-2011, 02:07 AM

I sold my two tickets for face value to a waitress. Put them on craigslist and they were gone within 24 hours of receiving them in the mail.

griZZly64
08-13-2011, 04:31 AM
I sold my two tickets for face value to a waitress. Put them on craigslist and they were gone within 24 hours of receiving them in the mail.

It's probably best to avoid her restaurant ;)

damaticous
08-13-2011, 06:21 AM
If you fly in to see a preseason game, let alone the first one, I have no pity for you.

This.....

Spott
08-13-2011, 06:39 AM
One good thing about downtown stadiums is you can always find private lots that charge $5 around the stadium. You can't really do that at Arrowhead unless you park really far way, although I'd walk that far not to give Clark Hunt $27.

Predarat
08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Thats exactly why I do no go to them. Pre season games are not worth the hassel, though if you are a STH you pretty much feel you have to go to at least one, unless you can sell them off.

Dayze
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
FYP

LMAO

Dayze
08-13-2011, 09:47 AM
not to mention for $27, you get to share one of the 6 Porto-Poddies available.

Halfcan
08-13-2011, 10:08 AM
We will see turnovers and big returns on kickoffs reduced to almost nothing.

:thumb: Exactly why even have the other team kick to you and start the game-we had shitty field position the whole first half.

The kickoff thing is really dumb. :doh!:

GloryDayz
08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
And we'll hear this "they're only preseason games" logic right up until we hear about this year's tough schedule logic. Much like the Royals, every loss makes sense and is part of the always-5-years-away plan...

I'm glad I stayed home and picked weeds out of the grass and bag worms off the evergreens... My beer was ice cold and I paid $27 less for up-front parking!!

|Zach|
08-13-2011, 11:18 AM
And we'll hear this "they're only preseason games" logic right up until we hear about this year's tough schedule logic. Much like the Royals, every loss makes sense and is part of the always-5-years-away plan...

I'm glad I stayed home and picked weeds out of the grass and bag worms off the evergreens... My beer was ice cold and I paid $27 less for up-front parking!!

That Chiefs Royals connection made zero sense.

BigRedChief
08-13-2011, 11:23 AM
:thumb: Exactly why even have the other team kick to you and start the game-we had shitty field position the whole first half.

The kickoff thing is really dumb. :doh!:They knew the consequenses when they changed the rule. But unless you take away the kick off potential of a run back there will always be wedge busters. Humans weighing 260 lbs with a running head start of 40 yards launching themselfs into another player.

I get the safety reason. But, I just can;t see why they couldn't have tried something else before just eliminating kick off returns,

Old Dog
08-13-2011, 11:29 AM
The only good part about it was being on the field for warmups and getting to talk to a few of the players and then getting autographs from Charles and Jones. That's the only reason I ended up going though. I generally don't bother going to preseason games.

jspchief
08-13-2011, 02:04 PM
One good thing about downtown stadiums is you can always find private lots that charge $5 around the stadium. You can't really do that at Arrowhead unless you park really far way, although I'd walk that far not to give Clark Hunt $27.

Yea, nothing compares to pulling into a parking garage in downtown Minneapolis, and eating a cold pb&j as you walk to the stadium. It's all part of the NFL gameday experience. It's all about cheap parking.

This just in. Attending professional sporting events is not budget entertainment.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

JD10367
08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

There's no way they should charge regular-game prices considering the starters don't play, it's full of errors, and the players don't even get full game checks. It's the equivalent of you going to a fancy restaurant where on Mondays they substitute your filet mignon with a take-out McDonald's hamburger yet charge you the same price.

(Unless you were specifying the crapfest that was the Chiefs. In that instance, it's doubly insulting. I TiVoed the game and watched it this morning, and all I could think was, "The CPers must've loved this one." Yes, they're meaningless games. Yes, the 47 the Pats hung on the Jags has as much relevance to the upcoming season as the goose-egg the Chiefs put up. But Jesus H on a raft, you'd like to see SOMETHING out your team. You guys have waited all summer through the lockout, and got that? It's like saving up your virginity for a fancy whorehouse and ending up with the cheap old crone in the cellar.)

baitism
08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
The Chiefs should have bought all the land in the bottoms just north of Kemper, bulldozed it, and build a sweet new stadium with downtown as a backdrop. But, instead no one wants to admit that the Truman Sports Complex is a failed experiment.

Pablo
08-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I left with like 7 minutes in the 2nd quarter. Just could not get into the game. I've never really gave a shit about preseason but my friend and I got season tickets for the first time and he wanted to go. So we went. And paid $27 for parking. And parked in Lot N. It was pretty shitty overall.

Bugeater
08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Yea, nothing compares to pulling into a parking garage in downtown Minneapolis, and eating a cold pb&j as you walk to the stadium. It's all part of the NFL gameday experience. It's all about cheap parking.

This just in. Attending professional sporting events is not budget entertainment.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
Whether or not last night's game should be classified as a professional sporting event is debatable.

Bugeater
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
The Chiefs should have bought all the land in the bottoms just north of Kemper, bulldozed it, and build a sweet new stadium with downtown as a backdrop. But, instead no one wants to admit that the Truman Sports Complex is a failed experiment.
I'm just going to pretend like I didn't read this post.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm just going to pretend like I didn't read this post.

I thought the same thing. Considering his name is baitism I figured why bother.

notorious
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Going to the game is a rip off.

Positives to staying at home:

Free
No commute
Comfortable seating
Can take a shit without hovering
HD screen, best seat in any house
Snacks
Can watch the late/early games

I have had my share of game experiences, and I choose to stay home.

JD10367
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Free
No commute
Comfortable seating
Snacks

Nothing compares to the visceral group experience of being at a game, provided two key things:

1) the weather is good, and
2) your team wins.

But, yeah, the view's a hell of a lot better at home. And if you want to stay in the loop at an NFL game, you need to be wearing headphones and listening to the radio broadcast. And if the weather sucks or your team loses, you want to kick puppies and rape nuns on your way out. (Well, for some of us, even more than usual.)

I enjoy going to a game or two a season. Usually before the weather turns to suck. But, frankly, I wouldn't be an NFL season-ticket holder unless I was wealthy enough to afford a luxury box on the 50 and priority parking.

Brock
08-13-2011, 07:14 PM

lolwut

pr_capone
08-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Free
No commute
Comfortable seating
Snacks

The stadium experience trumps all that. Definitely not a ripoff.

I have been to twenty some odd games over the past 16 years. The best one I ever attended in person was the Thanksgiving day game.

We cooked turkey, stuffing, and side dishes in croc pots on our way up to the game. The entire way up we are having a good time with friends and smelling the deliciousness coming out of the back of the car.

We get there and the crowd is rowdy in the parking lot and the food is outstanding as we tailgate our thanksgiving dinner. The playoff implications of this game were huge, we were on national tv, and we really needed this win. The football gods smiled on Lamar Hunt that day. I couldn't speak for the next day or two from the screaming along with 80k other people. NOTHING compares.

There is no way in hell I would rather have had stayed at home for that game, no matter the convenience. I've been to a lot of shitty games too... but that makes nights like Thanksgiving all the better.

pr_capone
08-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Nothing compares to the visceral group experience of being at a game, provided two key things:

1) the weather is good, and
2) your team wins.

Ding!

I enjoy going to a game or two a season. Usually before the weather turns to suck. But, frankly, I wouldn't be an NFL season-ticket holder unless I was wealthy enough to afford a luxury box on the 50 and priority parking.

The weather turning to suck is part of Arrowhead's charm.

I bought season tickets this year for the first time. I'm only going to 6 out of the 8 regular season games and none of the preseason. In all, I will have paid $350 for tickets for two people for 6 games. It is a much better deal than ones I have gotten in years past paying greater than face value for tickets to premium games.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 07:49 PM

The stadium experience trumps all that. Definitely not a ripoff.

Both are awesome.

If I lived in KC I would go to 2 games a year: the season opener and one divisional/rivalry game.

The rest of the time I want to watch the game at home for two reasons.

1. Going to an Arrowhead game is exhausting. I do it right - tailgating in the morning, hoarse in the afternoon. Doing that every week? No thanks.

2. I love trolling the internet with fans during a game. It's an experience you can only get on your couch.

Going to a bar is also an in-between that's fun once in awhile.

notorious
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I am getting older, too. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the stadium experience, but I burned out on it from flying people to games (manditory ticket for pilot) and going through it too often.

Maybe the games during the Herm era is what finally did it for me. That was the shittiest, most boring football evah.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Maybe the games during the Herm era is what finally did it for me. That was the shittiest, most boring football evah.

I went to 3 Arrowhead games during the Herm era.

Chiefs were 3-0. LMAO

notorious
08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I went to 3 Arrowhead games during the Herm era.

Chiefs were 3-0. LMAO

Every game I went to we got assraped.

You are all welcome.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Every game I went to we got assraped.

You are all welcome.

:LOL:

I saw the Thanksgiving night game, the game against Oakland the next week, and the Vikings game in 2007.

All three were awesome, especially the last two. Chiefs beat Oakland when Page picked off a pass in the end zone, and Bowe caught the winning TD in the 4th quarter in the Vikings game.

I was digging me some Herm!:banghead:

Titty Meat
08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
:LOL:

I saw the Thanksgiving night game, the game against Oakland the next week, and the Vikings game in 2007.

All three were awesome, especially the last two. Chiefs beat Oakland when Page picked off a pass in the end zone, and Bowe caught the winning TD in the 4th quarter in the Vikings game.

I was digging me some Herm!:banghead:

The game against Oakland was the week before Denver :) Jarrad Pages end zone INT FTW. I was there.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM
The game against Oakland was the week before Denver :) Jarrad Pages end zone INT FTW. I was there.

You're right, Oakland Sunday, then Denver Thursday.

One of the best weeks of my life.

Smed1065
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM

So much wrong in 1 post.

Damn it Carl~