PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto A little help from the car guys?

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm stone fucking stupid when it comes to cars, and figure there are enough car guys out there that might be able to help me out.

I drive a 2009 Volkswagen CC with manual 6 speed transmission. 2.0L DOHC Turbocharged engine. Car has 40,000 miles and has been maintained to the letter.

It doesn't happen every time, but I'm noticing a slight engine hesitation around 2900-3200 RPM, but only when I'm in 4th gear. It feels very similar to the slight "turbolag" you get at 3800 RPM with this engine.

No warning, check engine lights etc. are on.

Any thoughts?

notorious
08-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Are you reving up or dropping RPM thorugh 2900-3200 when it happens? A lot of times the A/C unit can pull enough juice to simulate Turbolag.

The car is new enough it can't be a hole in the muffler. Check and clean the air filter, too.

Dartgod
08-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Antifreeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Are you reving up or dropping RPM thorugh 2900-3200 when it happens? A lot of times the A/C unit can pull enough juice to simulate Turbolag.

I'm actually cruising at a steady speed. Typically between 45-50 MPH.

Air filter was just replaced two weeks ago during 40,000 mile scheduled service.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Antifreeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

Zip it, fucker.

LMAO

SAUTO
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
i have a customer who drives this car.

we change her fuel filter when she starts to feel the lag.

i would try that first if you havent changed it in a while. (10,000 miles)

notorious
I'm actually cruising at a steady speed. Typically between 45-50 MPH.

I edited my post above. Check your air filter and even a slightly low tire can effect the car like you are describing.

Blocked fuel filter might be a possibility, too.

notorious

Beat me to it. :D

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Also, I've yet to have this happen at higher or lower RPM's, or in a different gear.

Weird.

notorious
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I had a fuel pump act up in one of my work vans just like you are describing, too. It would get to 50-60mph and just loose all of it's balls. Fuel supply is usually a large percentage of power problems.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM

I'll have to check the service records and see when it was changed last. Everything to this point has been done by the dealership as part of a free maintenance plan.

SuperChief
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Check the blinker fluid.

notorious
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
My final "guess" is a fuel filtration issue in the fuel tank or inline at the filter.

Don't overlook the air filter. Air is just as important as fuel when making power, especially in the low RPM range on smaller engines.

DJ's left nut
08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
For the record: I love that car.

If not for the fact that I could get a Sonata with absolutely everything for about 3 grand less than a base CC, I'd have grabbed one - it's a stunning little car and the interior is as nice as I've ever seen if you get the 2 tone black/cream leather.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
For the record: I love that car.

If not for the fact that I could get a Sonata with absolutely everything for about 3 grand less than a base CC, I'd have grabbed one - it's a stunning little car and the interior is as nice as I've ever seen if you get the 2 tone black/cream leather.

I used to sell for the VW dealership I bought from, so I got it below invoice. I love this fucking car. First issue I've had with it.

I'm actually surprised I haven't been pulled over for the window tint.

KNOCKS ON WOOD

http://i52.tinypic.com/11lt1fd.jpg

-King-
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
What % tint is that?

DJ's left nut
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I used to sell for the VW dealership I bought from, so I got it below invoice. I love this fucking car. First issue I've had with it.

KNOCKS ON WOOD

Yeah, but my little Hyundai would still smoke ya and do it on 87 octane without needing synthetic oil ;)

The styling on the car is just much more fluid than the Sonata, IMO. It has a more refined European look to it, as opposed to the more linear, aggressive, Japanese look that the Sonata has.

For looks, until you start shopping Mercedes, there's just not anything that compares with that car in mid-size sedan market, especially when interior styling is considered. It's a little polarizing, but I love the interior of that car.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:42 PM
What % tint is that?

20% all the way around, IIRC.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, but my little Hyundai would still smoke ya and do it on 87 octane without needing synthetic oil ;)

The styling on the car is just much more fluid than the Sonata, IMO. It has a more refined European look to it, as opposed to the more linear, aggressive, Japanese look that the Sonata has.

For looks, until you start shopping Mercedes, there's just not anything that compares with that car in mid-size sedan market, especially when interior styling is considered. It's a little polarizing, but I love the interior of that car.

Same here. I just detailed it yesterday, and fell in love with it all over again.

I know the rear bucket seats turn a lot of folks off, but I love it. Then again, the Mrs. and I don't have little ones to worry about.

I've driven nothing but VW's since 2003, and have been extremely happy with each of them.

Radar Chief
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Yup, change filters first then it doesn’t hurt to change spark plugs. I like changing them anyway to keep track of how the engine is burning fuel. If an issue within the engine starts to develop this is typically where it’ll show up first.

modocsot
08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I drive an Audi A6 bi-turbo. Your symptoms may be related to a slight vacuum leak. Have it scanned with a VAG-COM while driving, as you try to replicate the symptoms... It'll likely throw a code.

SAUTO
08-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I'll have to check the service records and see when it was changed last. Everything to this point has been done by the dealership as part of a free maintenance plan.

i would just have it changed if thats the case...

and on my PM i thought it was a diesel for some reason...the filter might not be where i thought it was. lol

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
i would just have it changed if thats the case...

and on my PM i thought it was a diesel for some reason...the filter might not be where i thought it was. lol

LMAO

It's not. I just went out and looked, and nada.

If it's anything like my older VW's, it's right in front of the rear passenger tire.

Can't find the goddamn owners manual, either.

Rooster
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM
LMAO

If it's anything like my older VW's, it's right in front of the rear passenger tire.

Some of the new VWs have a false bottom in the glove box that holds the owners manual.

SAUTO
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
LMAO

yep, i just said that in my 2nd PM.

:banghead: sorry dude, dont know why i read that as a diesel

ModSocks
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I used to sell for the VW dealership I bought from, so I got it below invoice. I love this ****ing car. First issue I've had with it.

KNOCKS ON WOOD

http://i52.tinypic.com/11lt1fd.jpg

Damn Big Pimpin', watch out. Sweet ride. How much that set you back?

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Some of the new VWs have a false bottom in the glove box that holds the owners manual.

Rep, though it was a false top.

It's always been in the actual glove box until the last time I took it in for service. Guess the tech put it back where it belongs.

hometeam
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
If the sympton doesnt come from fuel you might be having a problem with your cam follower, and this could be your first tip off that something is wrong. This motor is known for cam follower failure, it is fairly common. Most cars with this motor experience it at LEAST once before 50k miles, it has some kind of special coating that wears off and can cause problems just like you have described. IF you wait until it fully breaks, your talking major bucks, you could lose a cam, and lots of other issues. If its not fuel, replaceyour 15 dollar cam follower~

OnTheWarpath15
Damn Big Pimpin', watch out. Sweet ride. How much that set you back?

IIRC, the sticker was 28,500 and I got it for just over 25,000.

CrazyPhuD
Or it could just be the car too.

I wanted to see a dyno to see what the power curve looked like. While this is only one dyno and it appears to be one with intake and exhaust. One thing that IS interesting is that there is a significant torque drop right between 2500-3000 RPMs which is right in the range you claim. (Dyno graph is at 1:46 second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aYi2qwl7M

Could just be that's how the engine breathes and you only notice it in 4th gear because that's where the mechanical advantage is low and your throttle position might now be opened as far as higher gears.

So while it could be a blocked filter, it might also be 'normal'. The question is, is it new or has it always been there.

ModSocks
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
IIRC, the sticker was 28,500 and I got it for just over 25,000.

Wow, really? The sticker was only 28K? I don't know shit about VW's but just looking at the thing I woulda guessed the 45K range.....

King_Chief_Fan
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
It has to be the muffler bearing thing again

HemiEd
08-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Have you checked the muffler bearings?

HemiEd
08-15-2011, 03:42 PM

:cuss:

King_Chief_Fan
08-15-2011, 03:43 PM
:cuss:

great minds H Ed

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Or it could just be the car too.

I wanted to see a dyno to see what the power curve looked like. While this is only one dyno and it appears to be one with intake and exhaust. One thing that IS interesting is that there is a significant torque drop right between 2500-3000 RPMs which is right in the range you claim. (Dyno graph is at 1:46 second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aYi2qwl7M

Could just be that's how the engine breathes and you only notice it in 4th gear because that's where the mechanical advantage is low and your throttle position might now be opened as far as higher gears.

So while it could be a blocked filter, it might also be 'normal'. The question is, is it new or has it always been there.

This is a new issue. Never noticed it until about two weeks ago.

OnTheWarpath15
08-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Have you checked the muffler bearings?

I checked the Fetzer valves as well, fellas.

DJ's left nut
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow, really? The sticker was only 28K? I don't know shit about VW's but just looking at the thing I woulda guessed the 45K range.....

That's what happens when you rip off the S-Class.

Props to VW, they stole the lines from a damn nice car.

Molitoth
08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
First thing I would do is change the spark plugs. Do some research online about the plugs that can run in this car. My car ran stock Platinums which are expensive as shit, but many tuners have found a certain cheap copper plug actually works the best for the car. What a difference those made.

Many turbo cars have ignition coil issues which can cause the power cut at higher RPM's as well. Keep this in mind after you try the easier possible solutions.

BigRichard
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I checked the Fetzer valves as well, fellas.

How about the Flux Capacitor?

Molitoth
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM

VW is making really affordable automobiles atm. I just picked up a 2011 Jetta SE for the wife at 0.9% financing.
I liked the CC, but she wanted a Jetta cause it was "cuter".

Tytanium
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Check bypass valve? Boost leak?