PDA

View Full Version : Football Welcome to Sports Authority Field at Mile High

DaFace
08-16-2011, 09:14 AM
I suppose it's better than Invesco. Still, I'm kind of glad the Chiefs have never managed to sell naming rights to Arrowhead.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18688964

Sports Authority could acquire Broncos' stadium naming rights, starting today

Invesco Field at Mile High likely is down to its final hours.

Was that sound the cry of sadness? The roar of applause? The silence of ambivalence?

Sports Authority, an Englewood-headquartered sporting goods company, has a tentative deal in place with the Broncos and Invesco Ltd. to take over the naming rights of the 10-year-old stadium in Denver.

The deal would become official — and the Broncos' home would be called Sports Authority Field at Mile High, effective this season — if the Metropolitan Football Stadium District approves the naming rights reassignment during a 3 p.m. board meeting today.

If approved, Sports Authority would replace the 10 years remaining on Invesco's initial naming rights deal and extend it 15 more years through the year 2035.

Sports Authority would pay an average of $6 million per year to have its name on the Broncos' stadium, with 50 percent of that revenue going to the team and 50 percent going to the stadium district. Matt Sugar, a former stadium district spokesman who has been brought back as a consultant, said the stadium district uses its taxpayer funding to make capital improvements to the stadium.

NaptownChief
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
They can name it whatever they want but it still looks like a giant diaphram.

boogblaster
08-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Donkdung is suitin' ....

talastan
08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Sports Authority and the Donkeys shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm surprised the naming rights to Arrowhead have never been sold. Glad... but surprised... in this era of wanting/needing every dollar you can get.

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
They should just set up a deal with Trojan Condoms. Trojan field at arrowhead...we could create the variant chant...'we will, we will...fuck you'. Granted that could work with any condom maker!

CaliforniaChief
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Expecting a huge increase in lesbian Broncos fans because they hate Dick's.

Demonpenz
08-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome to Haven't Won a playoff game in forever at Arrowhead Brought to you by First Round Exit ensured Field. Tonights Aerial coverage brought to you by Ryan Sims.

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm suprised their Canadian owner didn't rename it Molson Ice field. Get it cause it's a Canadian beer.

Warrior5
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
They can name it whatever they want but it still looks like a giant diaphram.

Exactly. It'll always be Incestco Field at Pile High to me.

Piss on Denver.

KCUnited
08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Shame Bethlehem was priced out of the market.

Mojo Jojo
08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm surprised the naming rights to Arrowhead have never been sold. Glad... but surprised... in this era of wanting/needing every dollar you can get.

The Chiefs have been trying to sell the naming rights for the past five years...no takers. The closest was American Century about four years ago. The Chiefs have even hired outside firms to bring possible sponsors to the table, but bottom line is no one wants the rights. Sad but true.

4th and Long
08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Welcome to Haven't Won a playoff game in forever at Arrowhead Brought to you by First Round Exit ensured Field. Tonights Aerial coverage brought to you by Ryan Sims.
Fear the Donkos! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/riding.gif

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm shocked Crisco didn't put in a bid.

lcarus
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Maybe there will be a giant corporation named Arrowhead some day that can buy the rights. Then they can still just call it Arrowhead Stadium.

DaFace
08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Maybe there will be a giant corporation named Arrowhead some day that can buy the rights. Then they can still just call it Arrowhead Stadium.

http://www.frugallivingnw.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/arrowhead.png

(It'll never happen, though.)

vailpass
08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Invesco popped my sponsorship cherry. Now I'm a bored-out sponsor bitch. Sports Authority or whoever else can try but it will be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

wazu
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
The Chiefs have been trying to sell the naming rights for the past five years...no takers. The closest was American Century about four years ago. The Chiefs have even hired outside firms to bring possible sponsors to the table, but bottom line is no one wants the rights. Sad but true.

We should all pitch in and buy naming rights on behalf of ChiefsPlanet. Just confuse the hell out of everybody and conduct a KC media take-over.

chefsos
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
We should all pitch in and buy naming rights on behalf of ChiefsPlanet. Just confuse the hell out of everybody and conduct a KC media take-over.Oh, the stadium names that could result from that...

Stewie
08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Do Sports Authority stores actually make money? The store near me is huge and there is never anyone there.

08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
They should just set up a deal with Trojan Condoms. Trojan field at arrowhead...we could create the variant chant...'we will, we will...**** you'. Granted that could work with any condom maker!

Oh great. Then we would have a superfan called Trojan Man.

Shaid
08-16-2011, 04:53 PM
I've always thought the Hunts should just buy it and call it Hunt Field at Arrowhead Stadium. It would have the symbolic significance of Lamar being behind it but still advertise the Hunt product line.

Even Lamar Hunt field for that matter.

Backwards Masking
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM

The Mighty Ducks play on Arrowhead Pond. Seriously. I was pissed as hell the first time I heard that, I've been rooting against the Ducks ever since. They stole out stadium name, those bastards. I will take action during a snowy Dec. hom game when an announcer says something like "reminds me of that OTHER Arrowhead!" Sadly, it WILL happen at some point.

That said, I'm pleased as punch my team and stadium have those cute sentimental things called Nostalgia and Tradition. Can you imagine Arrowhead being whored out and called Invotech or something equally lame for a few years until the naming rights expired only to have it changed into something more or equally whorish? Denver has about as much team pride as a father has for 14 yr daughter he puts out on the street corner to make ends meet. No wonder the Donkeys have never won a legitimate Super Bowl without cheating the salary cap and wiping crisco on their defenders.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Gay. Sports Authority isn't a good store at all fwiw

SDChiefs
08-16-2011, 05:20 PM
The Mighty Ducks play on Arrowhead Pond. Seriously. I was pissed as hell the first time I heard that, I've been rooting against the Ducks ever since. They stole out stadium name, those bastards. I will take action during a snowy Dec. hom game when an announcer says something like "reminds me of that OTHER Arrowhead!" Sadly, it WILL happen at some point.

That said, I'm pleased as punch my team and stadium have those cute sentimental things called Nostalgia and Tradition. Can you imagine Arrowhead being whored out and called Invotech or something equally lame for a few years until the naming rights expired only to have it changed into something more or equally whorish? Denver has about as much team pride as a father has for 14 yr daughter he puts out on the street corner to make ends meet. No wonder the Donkeys have never won a legitimate Super Bowl without cheating the salary cap and wiping crisco on their defenders.

Its the honda center now.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
handy shopping basket field at Dollar General Stadium

Backwards Masking
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Its the honda center now.

Good. i thought for sure the year after the Ducks lost the Cup to the Devils (03?) they were gonna mention Arrowhead Pong during a Chiefs game. Glad it never came to that.