PDA

View Full Version : Football Sound-off: Chargers to L.A.

penguinz
08-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Sound-off: Chargers to L.A.
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com

One of the biggest brewing stories in the NFL is the increased chances of the San Diego Chargers moving north to Los Angeles as soon as next year.

The return of the NFL in Los Angeles took a big step closer last week when the Los Angeles City Council approved the framework of a new stadium. The Chargers -- who are trying to secure a new downtown San Diego stadium, but who can get out of their San Diego lease in February -- are considered the frontrunner to move to Los Angeles. The Raiders are also considered a possibility.

Right now, because all of the heavy San Diego speculation, we are going to focus on the Chargers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30609/sound-off-chargers-to-l-a?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

4th and Long
08-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Stop stealing my ideas or I will sue the **** out of you!!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5tVNWfnMjhLIID2OA7TDsN8NmUynGkKnY-SS37-U80pYX8f5MlEYmdA

sd4chiefs
08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
The Jets and the Giants use the same stadium. Why can't the Chargers and Raiders both move to LA and used the same stadium? It's a crazy idea but if you are going to build something that cost a billion dollars why not use it for two teams instead of one?

4th and Long
08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
The Jets and the Giants use the same stadium. Why can't the Chargers and Raiders both move to LA and used the same stadium? It's a crazy idea but if you are going to build something that cost a billion dollars why not use it for two teams instead of one?
Because L.A. fans SUCK! They will never fill a football stadium. EVER!

tooge
08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I worked at a sporting goods store in the bay area one summer. used to have these hispanic dudes walk in and ask, "juw got any fila shirts tha say oaklan raiderth mang?"

The Franchise
08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Please take the Raiders instead.

SuperChief
08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Please take the Raiders instead.

This. If I'm looking at San Diego as a possible place for me to live after school, I need there to be an NFL team there, even if it's the Chargirls.

The Franchise
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
I just want the Raiders to get the fuck out of Nor-Cal.

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
we already get blacked out of SD home games so whatev...

Dayze
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I worked at a sporting goods store in the bay area one summer. used to have these hispanic dudes walk in and ask, "juw got any fila shirts tha say oaklan raiderth mang?"

LMAO

Brock
08-16-2011, 11:28 AM
From one market that doesn't care to another. shrug.

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
itll happen but i hope its not the chargers but maybe the jags or rams

Crush
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
According to my sources, the Chargers are looking at houses in Leawood.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Dane McCloud Field???

Mr. Laz
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
who gives a fuck?

Frazod
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Chargers moving? This could literally effect tens of lives.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
There are dozens of them, dozens!!!

Buck
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
If this happens will you guys pony up to buy me a noose?

ModSocks
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM

No, but we'll welcome you with open arms. I've already started recruiting new chiefs fans...

Fat Elvis
08-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Save up your money for tattoo removal....

tooge
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I like san diego. Lived there for 4 years in college. LA? I hope an earthquake dumps LA into the pacific ocean and Palm Desert is the new coast. Earthquake, nuclear disaster, meteor strike, any would be fine by me if they happened in LA. There is nothing good there. I have no love for the chargers, but I hope they don't move to LA. The only team that deserves LA and vice versa is the Raiders

rocknrolla
08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Save up your money for tattoo removal....

ROFL

rocknrolla
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Buck, for your sake. I hope they don't move.

KCHawg
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Bring all of your Chargers gear to the next bash...I'm sure it can be taken care of like a certain hat was...

Buck
08-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I think if the Chargers moved to LA they would change their name to be honest.

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
The Raiders make the most sense.

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I think if the Chargers moved to LA they would change their name to be honest.

Weird, because the Chargers originally played in LA for their first season.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Send the Lambs back out there. Most of STL wouldn't care anyway :evil:

BigChiefFan
08-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Dane McCloud Field???

What happened to him, anyway?

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 01:44 PM

:sulk:

Me thinks there will be major renovations done to the Dome or Kroenke will use his own money to make a stadium in St. Louis County.

Thig Lyfe
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
If somebody's going to move to LA, I'd prefer it be a team that wouldn't fuck up the division alignments. So basically the Raiders, Chargers, or Rams. The Vikings or Jaguars moving would activate my OCD. Unless they readjusted the divisions, in which case I don't care.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Me thinks there will be major renovations done to the Dome or Kroenke will use his own money to make a stadium in St. Louis County.

The Dome is a dump. I would love to see an outdoor stadium in the STL area. Indoor football blows.

morphius
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM
While it could happen, I doubt the NFL wants SD to move and would prefer it be a smaller market.

BWillie
08-16-2011, 01:53 PM
It's going to be called Farmer's Field.

loochy
08-16-2011, 01:54 PM

I'll do that even if the move doesn't happen.

Thig Lyfe
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
The Dome is a dump. I would love to see an outdoor stadium in the STL area. Indoor football blows.

The lighting is so garish, it reminds me of Wal-Mart. Watching a Rams game on TV is not a pleasant experience.

Rasputin
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM

I like this idea, then they both can be torched in an AIDS RING OF FIRE!

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
If somebody's going to move to LA, I'd prefer it be a team that wouldn't **** up the division alignments. So basically the Raiders, Chargers, or Rams. The Vikings or Jaguars moving would activate my OCD. Unless they readjusted the divisions, in which case I don't care.

If the Vikings move just switch them and the Rams. You would think St. Louis would like that alot getting annual games with Chicago and Green Bay.

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
The lighting is so garish, it reminds me of Wal-Mart. Watching a Rams game on TV is not a pleasant experience.

On TV, the lighting looks way darker than it is. Part of the Dome now let's in natural light.

The problem with the Rams lease is the EJD has to be in the top 25% of stadiums, I believe, in terms of revenue. It's almost impossible for that to happen considering all the new stadiums that have been built and major renovations to multiple stadiums.

wazu
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
While it could happen, I doubt the NFL wants SD to move and would prefer it be a smaller market.

Green Bay!

tooge
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I've been to one game in EJD. Horrible. Dark, fake, pumped in noise, lame tailgating, actually no tailgating, parking suckage, food suckage. Blow it up and start with a new oudoor stadium in St. Louis, and people wont be so ready to move the Lambs back to LA

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I've been to one game in EJD. Horrible. Dark, fake, pumped in noise, lame tailgating, actually no tailgating, parking suckage, food suckage. Blow it up and start with a new oudoor stadium in St. Louis, and people wont be so ready to move the Lambs back to LA

Was this within the past year or so?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2011, 02:30 PM

That is the most ridiculous part of my experiences there. The pumped in crowd noise and the "HEY YOU GUYS" announcer that sounds like a more retarded version of Sloth.

ModSocks
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I like this idea, then they both can be torched in an AIDS RING OF FIRE!

Dude, get real.

Everyone knows that Fire kills aids, so in order for there to be a Aids ring of fire it has to be made with some sort of Anti-Fire aids strain that is not known to man at this current time.

Pfff.....looser.

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Get a hotel room at Drury Inn. :D

Reerun_KC
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Indy... My god can they pump in some noise....

CaliforniaChief
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't mind having the Chargers up here in L.A. Just makes for a shorter drive should I decide to foray out to watch a Chiefs/Chargers game. Plus more media coverage for the AFC West out here. I don't mind listening to 1090 out of San Diego, but I'd love seeing more TV coverage for a team here.

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Come on can anyone really tell where LA stops and SD begins?

Buck
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Jesus Christ. :spock:

Reerun_KC
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Does anyone care?

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
That is the most ridiculous part of my experiences there. The pumped in crowd noise and the "HEY YOU GUYS" announcer that sounds like a more retarded version of Sloth.

The new PA at the Dome sounds like Obama.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Js3HNgmLlQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also believe he does Mizzou football games.

Buck
08-16-2011, 02:51 PM
For the record you might as well say can anyone tell where Kansas City stops and St. Louis begins. It's the stupidest statement in this thread.

Rasputin
08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Dude, get real.

Everyone knows that Fire kills aids, so in order for there to be a Aids ring of fire it has to be made with some sort of Anti-Fire aids strain that is not known to man at this current time.

Pfff.....looser.

Damnet :cuss:

Allways something that ruins the fun.

How about they get injected with AIDS, then drink Anti-Freeze, and THEN get burned in a ring of FIRE!!!! Or is this like Rock, Paper, Scissors? Only one carnation of death be sufficient.

Bewbies
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I liked the idea of dumping 1 pre-season game, and picking up 1 regular season game, that each team would play at a neutral site. Say college stadiums and such.

That would be great use of a new LA stadium, especially if you could keep all the Raiders inmates the hell away from it.

tooge
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Was this within the past year or so?

No, it was three years ago. Maybe things are better regarding the pumped in noise, but you just cant get rid of the "fakeness" of EJD since its in a closes space with fake grass.

Thig Lyfe
08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
It's my understanding that Los Angeles and San Diego are basically interchangeable.

Valiant
08-16-2011, 03:13 PM

How do they decide who gets seats during against for sth?

Buck
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
It's my understanding that Los Angeles and San Diego are basically interchangeable.

I will fucking end you.

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Nah that's not entirely true they're just part of the groin of CA. LA is the dick, SD is the chode and TJ is the asshole.

McWickedson
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM

FAIL. Chiefs fans and their insecurity....:)

Brock
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
FAIL. Chiefs fans and their insecurity....:)

Insecure about St. Louis? Yeah, not so much.

McWickedson
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM

My money is on the latter.

McWickedson
08-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Insecure about St. Louis? Yeah, not so much.

More like the team. You know, the one that won a SB in recent memory.

Brock
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
More like the team. You know, the one that won a SB in recent memory.

And just how threatened can anybody be by a team that "won a SB in recent memory" but couldn't draw flies if they were covered in shit?

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
And just how threatened can anybody be by a team that "won a SB in recent memory" but couldn't draw flies if they were covered in shit?

Just to pile on....

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/33882/chiefs-fans-heard-at-edward-jones-dome

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams just committed false-start penalties on consecutive plays in the red zone amid impressive (depressing?) crowd noise from Kansas City Chiefs fans.

Chiefs fans have made more noise than Rams fans to this point in the game. The penalties forced the Rams to settle for a field goal and a 3-0 lead.

Entire rows of seats in the upper decks appear unoccupied. Fans wearing Chiefs colors appear at least as prevalent as fans wearing Rams colors. Red seats in the Edward Jones Dome add to the feeling of a Chiefs presence here.

Plenty of Rams fans are here, of course, and they'll make noise if the Rams give them reason. They were pretty loud when the Rams made a tackle on the kickoff return following their field goal.

By the way, Matt Cassel is at quarterback for the Chiefs as they prepare for their first drive.

At least they have red seats to make the chiefs fans feel at home in arrowhead east.

Rams Fan
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Myth #8: Seattle Seahawks Have the Loudest Fans (Nope, it's St. Louis!)
Myth: The Seattle Seahawks have the loudest fans because they draw the most false starts from visiting opponents.

Reality: Forget the total number of false starts, it can be skewed by teams that are predisposed to commit a large number of false starts. When you look at the percentage increase or decrease of a visiting team's overall false start average, the Seahawks are actually in third place (2000-2010).

Conclusion: [Busted] The loudest fans are from St. Louis. Their noise helps to create the biggest increase in false starts above a visiting offense's normal stats. The weakest fans are BELIEVE IT OR NOT, the Green Bay Packers.

Reality Check: There are, of course a lot of factors that create false starts aside from the fans. If you look at the chart, many of the teams at the top have domes which help to cabin fan noise. Additionally, the quality of the defense can startle offensive linemen and generate false starts. Therefore, this analysis is more for fun than it is hard statistics. But, the results (after the jump) are nonetheless pretty wild.

I calculated the overall plays-per-false start for every offense each year between 2000 and 2010. I then measured the individual false-start-rate for each offense's individual away games and calculated the increase or decrease from their overall yearly average. For the home teams, I then averaged the increase/decrease of their visitor's false starts. The results were pretty shocking, I have no real explanation as to why teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay are towards the bottom of the list.

http://www.nflstatsblog.com/2011/08/myth-8-seattle-seahawks-have-loudest.html

Cwatididthere

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.nflstatsblog.com/2011/08/myth-8-seattle-seahawks-have-loudest.html

Cwatididthere

You do also realize that the reason that teams false start rates go up playing at STL is that when the opposing teams are up by 30 they tend to put in their scrub OL/QBs in and those guys spend more time false starting than the raiders cheerleaders spend on poles.

munkey
08-16-2011, 04:20 PM

ROFL

Spott
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I will fucking end you.

While you were in the shower, the Chargers moved to LA.

Thig Lyfe
08-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Here's a beautiful photo of the Los Angeles skyline. Could definitely see the new Chargers stadium fitting in somewhere. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w3XhGgVEz4I/TeaNcdLAn2I/AAAAAAAAdAQ/u0ae5TtX4rQ/s1600/SanDiegoSkyline_gde.jpg

Spott
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Here's a beautiful photo of the Los Angeles skyline. Could definitely see the new Chargers stadium fitting in somewhere. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w3XhGgVEz4I/TeaNcdLAn2I/AAAAAAAAdAQ/u0ae5TtX4rQ/s1600/SanDiegoSkyline_gde.jpg

It would fit nicely in the bottom of that bay.

munkey
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM

WOW...Sounds like the old Seattle Kingdom...What an abortion that place was...

Buck
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
The SD mayor and a crew of people just left for a 3 day tour of KC, Indy, and one other city (Houston or NYC I think) to see how the new sports facilities in those cities are working out in an effort to do something to keep the Chargers in SD.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Chargers moving = more emo threads from Buck.

Backwards Masking
08-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, the Chargers are moving so they can actually get people in the stands, Denvers whoring out the name of it's stadium (again) and Oakland is still the dirtiest place on earth.

Nice to know my Chiefs are, by and large, the classiest and most respecatable team of the AFC West.

Brock
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
The SD mayor and a crew of people just left for a 3 day tour of KC, Indy, and one other city (Houston or NYC I think) to see how the new sports facilities in those cities are working out in an effort to do something to keep the Chargers in SD.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quick! Let's pretend to care!

milkman
08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
For the record you might as well say can anyone tell where Kansas City stops and St. Louis begins. It's the stupidest statement in this thread.

No, the stupidest statement in this thread is drawing a comparison of LA/SD to KC/STL.

BoltWalt
08-22-2011, 11:47 PM
This. If I'm looking at San Diego as a possible place for me to live after school, I need there to be an NFL team there, even if it's the Chargirls.

Awe how nice of you! Trying to make me feel better if the Bolts do move. :(

Bump
08-22-2011, 11:48 PM
LOL

how many charger fans are gonna get shot now?

BoltWalt
08-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Come on can anyone really tell where LA stops and SD begins?Camp Pendleton is a good marker. It stops the suburban sprawl that is non stop on the I-5.

Nightfyre
08-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Why aren't jax and min involved in this discussion? If jax moves, we have to play the colts twice a year. I already hate the colts.

CrazyPhuD
08-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Why aren't jax and min involved in this discussion? If jax moves, we have to play the colts twice a year. I already hate the colts.

Who has to play the colts? Do you root for the jags or something? If you're referring to the chiefs potentially moving what are you smoking? The NFL doesn't care about travel distances and in this particular case there is NO chance that they'll ever break up the AFC west unless one of the teams in the AFC west moves somewhere different. These are the original AFL teams and among at least three of the teams there is a general hatred of the opponents. You don't throw away strong rivalries because rivalries sell tickets. Only if one of the teams were to move to a new city could it be split from the AFCW because then that team would have no rivalry base.

Crush
08-23-2011, 05:28 AM

They are not breaking up the AFC West. If Jacksonville or Minnesota moves to LA, it would make the most sense for them to trade places with the Rams.

Mojo Jojo
08-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Who has to play the colts? Do you root for the jags or something? If you're referring to the chiefs potentially moving what are you smoking? The NFL doesn't care about travel distances and in this particular case there is NO chance that they'll ever break up the AFC west unless one of the teams in the AFC west moves somewhere different. These are the original AFL teams and among at least three of the teams there is a general hatred of the opponents. You don't throw away strong rivalries because rivalries sell tickets. Only if one of the teams were to move to a new city could it be split from the AFCW because then that team would have no rivalry base.

Not really true...the NFL wanted to move the Chiefs during the last two realignments...Lamar held his ground and got his way. If Clark sees more money in another division or gets some favors from the NFL he may be willing to switch.
As far as Jax...they are getting some new investors, so it seems that Weaver has pulled relocation off the table. Minnesota and Buffalo are the two others looking for a new home.