PDA

View Full Version : Life After 7 months...I finally have a job!

AndChiefs
08-16-2011, 10:27 AM
After what seems like a very long time I finally received a job offer and have officially accepted the position. It looks to be extremely exciting and is a significant boost in salary over my previous job.

It's so relieving to finally have an income again and start paying down some of the debt I've accrued over the last several months.

However, the position will require me to move to Houston, TX which is a city I know little about. I'm sure there are some people on here that have lived or live there now. What neighborhood's should I look at moving into? Where should I avoid? Thanks in advance for any help.

mlyonsd
08-16-2011, 10:29 AM
It's hot. That's all I know.

And congrats.

AndChiefs
08-16-2011, 10:30 AM
It's hot. That's all I know.

And congrats.

I've heard that. I fully expect to sweat off about 20 pounds in the first week or two.

Phobia
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Good lord. That's a broad question. You'll probably want to live where it's an acceptable commute for you to your place of work. If you can get an apartment near the office then do that. Otherwise plan to drive at least 1.5 hours per day even if you only live 10 miles from work. That city is brutal.

Congratulations and good luck. Don't eat at the Taco Cabana unless you want to spend the next day on the toilet.

Rain Man
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Congratulations! Tell us about the job.

And when choosing a place to live in Houston, a good tip is to find a place where the mosquito wing-flapping pushes the oil refinery smells away from you.

Dayze
08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
full of nothing but steers, and......something else. I can't recall.

AndChiefs
08-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Good lord. That's a broad question. You'll probably want to live where it's an acceptable commute for you to your place of work. If you can get an apartment the office then do that. Otherwise plan to drive at least 1.5 hours per day even if you only live 10 miles from work. That city is brutal.

Congratulations and good luck. Don't eat at the Taco Cabana unless you want to spend the next day on the toilet.

It is quite broad...I suppose I should've made it more clear. I'm looking for something on the north/northeast side. The office is downtown but I'll be doing quite a bit of travel as well so I want to be somewhat near the airport.

Some areas appear to be quite a bit cheaper than others which (in big cities) usually means the area is undesirable to live in but I'm unsure on which areas would be best for me. I can afford up to about 900-950/month for a place but I'm certainly not opposed to cheaper provided I don't get mugged on a weekly basis.

AndChiefs
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Congratulations! Tell us about the job.

And when choosing a place to live in Houston, a good tip is to find a place where the mosquito wing-flapping pushes the oil refinery smells away from you.

I'm working for a large company based in Houston which has operations throughout the continental US (and a few locations in China/Europe). They're undergoing a big change initiative and I'll be part of a team working on implementing those changes throughout the different locations (the department is permanent but the current change initiative has a 5-year timeline). In order to implement the changes I'll be traveling throughout the US to the different locations for most of the work. When I'm not in the road I can work from corporate or from home depending on what I feel like/need access to that day.

Pants
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm working for a large company based in Houston which has operations throughout the continental US (and a few locations in China/Europe). They're undergoing a big change initiative and I'll be part of a team working on implementing those changes throughout the different locations (the department is permanent but the current change initiative has a 5-year timeline). In order to implement the changes I'll be traveling throughout the US to the different locations for most of the work. When I'm not in the road I can work from corporate or from home depending on what I feel like/need access to that day.

Sounds awesome, dude. Congrats and well done!

Phobia
08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
It is quite broad...I suppose I should've made it more clear. I'm looking for something on the north/northeast side. The office is downtown but I'll be doing quite a bit of travel as well so I want to be somewhat near the airport.

Some areas appear to be quite a bit cheaper than others which (in big cities) usually means the area is undesirable to live in but I'm unsure on which areas would be best for me. I can afford up to about 900-950/month for a place but I'm certainly not opposed to cheaper provided I don't get mugged on a weekly basis.

The airport is an easy commute - especially when you schedule your flights at smart times. They even have a toll road that goes almost from downtown to the airport for $1. I'd live nearer the office. You should do okay with a $900 apartment.

Phobia
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Sounds like my job 15 years ago. Have fun. Leave a little time to see and enjoy each place you visit. I didn't do that near enough. Just traveled, worked, and came home. Of course, I had a family too.

AndChiefs
08-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Sounds like my job 15 years ago. Have fun. Leave a little time to see and enjoy each place you visit. I didn't do that near enough. Just traveled, worked, and came home. Of course, I had a family too.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly try to take advantage of the travel. I'm single which helps a lot in that department.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Good lord. That's a broad question. You'll probably want to live where it's an acceptable commute for you to your place of work. If you can get an apartment near the office then do that. Otherwise plan to drive at least 1.5 hours per day even if you only live 10 miles from work. That city is brutal.

Dont miss the rat race much do you? : )

MahiMike
08-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Congrats. Looks like TX is the place.

Phobia
08-16-2011, 11:09 AM
If you're going to be traveling all the time and you're single, why don't you rent something in the hood for $400. Bank all that money you'll be making if you're not even going to be there. Or find a guy your age with a house and be a roomie.

Phobia
08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Dont miss the rat race much do you? : )

I miss Texas. I don't miss Houston at all. I still can't believe I wasted 10 hours a week in my car while living there. That's 40 hours a month. 2080 hours a year - wasted.

Lzen
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Congrats, man.

4th and Long
08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I miss Texas. I don't miss Houston at all. I still can't believe I wasted 10 hours a week in my car while living there. That's 40 hours a month. 2080 hours a year - wasted.
I DON'T miss Northern Mexico, ... errr, ... I mean, Texas.

"Excuse me, cleaning lady, you didn't leave any towels in my room."

"Que?"

"I said, there are no towels in the bathroom."

"Que?"

"Towels. I need some towels. (pointing at towels on her cart)"

"Que?"

"EL TOWEL-Os!"

"Que?"

:cuss:

I also learned in Texas that all armidillos are born dead, on the interstate.

1ChiefsDan
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I would avoid Houston. I have been there 6 of the past 8 weeks (our corporate office is there). The city sucks. As Phobia said - find something close to where you work. Traffic doesn't move there.

1ChiefsDan
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I miss Texas. I don't miss Houston at all. I still can't believe I wasted 10 hours a week in my car while living there. That's 40 hours a month. 2080 hours a year - wasted.I am double checking my bill if you ever do any work for me. :hmmm:

SuperChief
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
If you're going to be traveling all the time and you're single, why don't you rent something in the hood for $400. Bank all that money you'll be making if you're not even going to be there. Or find a guy your age with a house and be a roomie.

Or a lover!

btlook1
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Or a lover!

just make sure HE uses protection!

ziggysocki
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Not to poke a hornets nest or anything, but isn't that 480 hours per year? And as far as OP, traffic sucks in Houston... if I were you I would stay on the road as much as possible. Assuming you like travel and have no family (wifey and kids)

Phobia
08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Not to poke a hornets nest or anything, but isn't that 480 hours per year? And as far as OP, traffic sucks in Houston... if I were you I would stay on the road as much as possible. Assuming you like travel and have no family (wifey and kids)

I don't know. It's a lot of hours. It seemed like 2080.

Bwana
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Great News, congrats!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-16-2011, 08:17 PM
full of nothing but steers, and......something else. I can't recall.

I don't see no cows. I don't know, what are you trying to say???

Lbedrock1
08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
After what seems like a very long time I finally received a job offer and have officially accepted the position. It looks to be extremely exciting and is a significant boost in salary over my previous job.

It's so relieving to finally have an income again and start paying down some of the debt I've accrued over the last several months.

However, the position will require me to move to Houston, TX which is a city I know little about. I'm sure there are some people on here that have lived or live there now. What neighborhood's should I look at moving into? Where should I avoid? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey your story is my story exactly. Took a job here in June. I live in pearland right now but will be moving north to the woodlands in nov-dec time frame. Congrats on the new job. Who is it with.

Lbedrock1
08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I would avoid Houston. I have been there 6 of the past 8 weeks (our corporate office is there). The city sucks. As Phobia said - find something close to where you work. Traffic doesn't move there.

I moveed here from Atlanta and alhough they can't in houston the traffic has been a cake walk comparing the two. Houston traffic has nothing on Atlanta.