PDA

View Full Version : Money Gonna be busy this fall

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I have been accepted into the Masters of English program at Bowie State University. PBJ

I'll be trying to carry six hours a semester as well as continuing working full-time AND try to have time to get some personal writing in. Oh yeah, while still trying to get ready to test for my next dan rank in Kendo a year from October.

I'm beginning to think that sleep is optional for the next few years.

If everything goes well, I should graduate Spring of 2014. Then I have to decide whether to push on for the PhD or not. (My department chair is already pushing for me to go that direction and classes haven't even started yet. :eek: )

vailpass
08-16-2011, 11:26 AM
PhD would be a good idea for that major. Anything that will allow you to avoid the job market for as long as possible/set you up to teach so you never have to enter the job market.

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 11:28 AM
is it cold in space bowie?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 11:29 AM
PhD would be a good idea for that major. Anything that will allow you to avoid the job market for as long as possible/set you up to teach so you never have to enter the job market.

Little late for that. *grin*

Been a technical writer for the past 12 years after leaving the service.

I'm finally getting back to my Masters after a 28 year break.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 11:31 AM
is it cold in space bowie?

Considering we've had more snow the past two years than we've had in the first 10 combined since I've lived here . . .

Nice Major Tom reference! :thumb:

Otter
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Congrats MCF!

I wish I had some sage wisdom or insight to offer but I know as much about being an English Major as I do PMS so I'll just say 'good luck'.

vailpass
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Little late for that. *grin*

Been a technical writer for the past 12 years after leaving the service.

I'm finally getting back to my Masters after a 28 year break.

Well done, congrats on being accepted into the program. With your Masters you can teach online in your spare time and run up some extra $$. I have a nephew who does that for several different schools to supplement his full-time teaching income.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Well done, congrats on being accepted into the program. With your Masters you can teach online in your spare time and run up some extra $$. I have a nephew who does that for several different schools to supplement his full-time teaching income.

Yeah, I'm hoping to do some adjunct faculty at one of the local community colleges. With my Masters I could teach either English or History classes (My undergrad is in History).

Plus my company has been bugging me to get my Masters so they can start chaging the Gov. more for me. *grin*

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Enjoy. Is this a thesis track thing?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Enjoy. Is this a thesis track thing?

Ooooh yeah.

That's way down the road though. Have to get through the manditory courses first , then some of the Seminar/Special Topics classes and then we start the infamous Thesis battle.

Of course, if the Chair has his way, I'll shift toward a Doctorate program partway through and the Thesis will give way to the Disertation.

Luckily, after all my experience as a Reporter in the Army and a Technical Writer/Editor as a Defense Contractor, writing to a specific style is nearly second nature now.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Ooooh yeah.

That's way down the road though. Have to get through the manditory courses first , then some of the Seminar/Special Topics classes and then we start the infamous Thesis battle.

Of course, if the Chair has his way, I'll shift toward a Doctorate program partway through and the Thesis will give way to the Disertation.

Luckily, after all my experience as a Reporter in the Army and a Technical Writer/Editor as a Defense Contractor, writing to a specific style is nearly second nature now.

All the people I know that have gone back to school late in the game have been people I find quite admirable. It shows they are still young at heart, have some courage, take some risks, and want to get the most of their one chance at life. I think it's great.

What are some of the courses you have this fall?

CrazyPhuD
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM
So does this mean you're going to become the planet's resident grammar nazi now? ;)

Congrats Have fun!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
All the people I know that have gone back to school late in the game have been people I find quite admirable. It shows they are still young at heart, have some courage, take some risks, and want to get the most of their one chance at life. I think it's great.

What are some of the courses you have this fall?

501 - Research Methods and Humanities and Computers 1: (Basically a research classs - most of the students in the program are Jr. High/HS English teachers, so they gear a lot of the intro classes to them. Hoping this should be a cheap A.)

601 - Introduction to Rhetorical Theories and Practices 1

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
So does this mean you're going to become the planet's resident grammar nazi now? ;)

Congrats Have fun!

Nah.

That's why I rely on editors. My typing stinks.

(King of the tyops.)

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
501 - Research Methods and Humanities and Computers 1: (Basically a research classs - most of the students in the program are Jr. High/HS English teachers, so they gear a lot of the intro classes to them. Hoping this should be a cheap A.)

601 - Introduction to Rhetorical Theories and Practices 1

Okay, that's really boring. I was hoping for something like "Reading Shakespeare Through the Centuries" or "The Harlem Renaissance" or "American Literature from Irving to Twain"

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Okay, that's really boring. I was hoping for something like "Reading Shakespeare Through the Centuries" or "The Harlem Renaissance" or "American Literature from Irving to Twain"

Me too. *grin*

However, I figure the quicker I get the manditory classes out of the way, the sooner I can get to the classes I really want to take.

Eventually, I'm looking at Seminar in English Literature, Seminar in American Literature, Special Topics in Drama, Special Topics in Far Eastern Literature and a couple others.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Why Far Eastern?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Why Far Eastern?

Curiosity, mainly.

I've gotten an appreciation of Japanese literaure reading the Book of the Five Rings and other books written by samurai and other Japanese philosphers from that time period. I also find it interesting how many Japanese/Chinese/Korean fairy tales have dopplegangers in Western European literature.

I'm curious who developed the tales first and how they moved from culture to culture over time.

And, of course, any of my electives are going to be dependent on them being offered when I have an opportunity to take them. It's not a huge department so not every elective is offered each semester. So, I may have to decide whether I really want the British Literature or the Seminar on Fiction that semester. I'd like to take a bunch of the classes but there's nothing to be gained by taking 45 hours to get a 36 hour degree.

tooge
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
masters of english huh? Is it I before E except after C? Or, is it the other way around?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
masters of english huh? Is it I before E except after C? Or, is it the other way around?

As with everything in English . . .

It depends.:cuss:

tooge
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
DAMMIT! Guess I'll be misspelling the word believe forever. Or will I?