PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs camp report: Team goes to movies instead of meetings

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Chiefs camp report: Team goes to movies instead of meetings (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/16/3080997/chiefs-camp-report-team-goes-to.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | The Chiefs made what is becoming an annual trip to the movies Tuesday, a break scheduled by coach Todd Haley, even at the end of the most easy-going training camp under the third-year coach.

Haley, known his first two seasons for his intense practices, has backed away from the hardcore conditioning and full-tilt workouts this year, presumably in an effort to keep players healthy after the more than four-month NFL lockout.

On Tuesday, the team boarded buses and were rewarded with a private screening of several movies at a local theater.

“Took a little detour,” Haley said during an afternoon news conference. “Did a little team building.”

The team cancelled morning meetings in favor of the excursion, which Haley said he scheduled in part due to two previous days of workouts he said were high-energy and particularly physical.

A handful of players had to leave the practice field Sunday and Monday after those workouts, whose intensity has been a rare sight during nearly three weeks in St. Joseph.

“Whenever you’re practicing hard like that,” Haley said, “that’s going to happen. I don’t think it’s anything out of the ordinary.”

Haley said his strategy during camp has been to make certain all players are at similar conditioning levels by the time practices return to Kansas City next week.

“If we are that,” he said, “that gives us a chance to survive and be able to play the whole season. That’s the goal.”

Defensive lineman added

The team announced Tuesday it signed defensive lineman Harold Ayodele, a rookie free agent who attended Emporia State. The 6-foot-1, 339-pound lineman, who earlier in his college career played at Tennessee State, had 107 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks in 22 games for the Hornets.

Johnson faces important year

Haley said he noticed linebacker Derrick Johnson’s play in recent days, adding that the sixth-year veteran took a step forward last year — but still has work to do.

“He obviously was a big part of a lot of good things last year,” Haley said, “but I don’t think you’ve seen the top end of Derrick. I think he has the mind-set that he wants to show everyone a little more.

“Here the last few days specifically, I think you’ve seen him really take a step, and you start to see (number) 56 more than we were early on, and I think that’s a good sign for us.”

The offense
Quarterback Tyler Palko again was unimpressive, scrambling too often when he perhaps should’ve planted and passed. One poor pass was intercepted by second-year safety Kendrick Lewis. … Rookie wide receiver Josue Paul made a nice play against Quinten Lawrence, cutting to his right and making an open catch near the sideline.

The defense
Outside linebacker Andy Studebaker ran through the middle and slammed into Palko during 11-on-11 drills, drawing a loud scolding from Haley, who told his players to be smart and to avoid high-impact collisions. … Third-year defensive lineman Tyson Jackson broke up one of Palko’s passes during team drills.

Injury report
Offensive tackle Jared Gaither spent his third full day of training camp on a stationary bike. Wide receiver Steve Breaston and punter Dustin Colquitt joined Gaither on bikes toward the end of practice. Defensive lineman Anthony Toribio and linebacker Eric Bakhtari missed practice.

Daily battle
Gaither’s absence Tuesday suggested the big man might not yet be fully healthy, even a day after he told reporters his back was “100 percent” after an injury forced him to miss last season and that he planned to be in the starting lineup. If Gaither continues to miss practice time, it becomes less and less likely that he’ll be a serious threat to the starting jobs of Branden Albert and Barry Richardson.

Today’s schedule
The Chiefs will hold a walk-through at 10:40 a.m. and a practice at 2:40 p.m.

84 Tuesday’s high temperature in St. Joseph; today’s expected high is 85.

2 Number of remaining practices in St. Joseph; after today’s workouts, the Chiefs will break camp and, after Friday’s preseason game in Baltimore, resume training camp in Kansas City.

2 The number of consecutive days linebacker Derrick Johnson has shown off his speed by chasing down running back Jamaal Charles near the goal line.

Sofa King
08-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Fucking Gaither.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I can't believe Tyson Jackson stuck his hand up in the air!

HemiEd
08-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Third-year defensive lineman Tyson Jackson broke up one of Palko’s passes during team drills.

and some of you dared to doubt his worth of being the third over all pick.

Reerun_KC
08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Looks like Haley is taking a few pages from Club Herm on how to run a training camp...

/sarcasm before the cry babies get started...

Extra Point
08-17-2011, 07:35 AM
I can't believe Babb wrote this: an actual article, reporting stuff!

Okie_Apparition
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Did Jackson knock down a Palko pass or a Cassel pass. Come on reporters this shit is important

Rooster
08-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Actually it was just a shitty pass from Palko that hit Jackson in the helmet. Baby steps.. :D

mlyonsd
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Actually it was just a shitty pass from Palko that hit Jackson in the helmet. Baby steps.. :D In the front or back of the helmet? Knowing he knew where the ball was in the first place would be a positive.

Bob Dole
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
DJ took a step forward last year because we finally had a DC who planned to his skills and stopped trying to make him something he isn't. Bob Dole thinks DJ will have an awesome season this year.

mlyonsd
08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
DJ took a step forward last year because we finally had a DC who planned to his skills and stopped trying to make him something he isn't. Bob Dole thinks DJ will have an awesome season this year.Sounds like he's having a good camp.

Bob Dole
08-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Sounds like he's having a good camp.

He's probably having the camp he would have had heading into his second season had we had a competent coaching staff.

mlyonsd
08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
He's probably having the camp he would have had heading into his second season had we had a competent coaching staff.Oh the years that were wasted.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
who needs meetings,practice,preseason games ...

Game 1 we are flipping that switch, bitches!!

Deberg_1990
08-17-2011, 09:27 AM
My sources tell me they saw "The Smurfs"

Demonpenz
08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Remember when Derrick Johnson was the middle linebacker. Holy Crap

InChiefsHeaven
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM

I'm guessing he was actually raising his hand to ask for a break...

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
The defense
Outside linebacker Andy Studebaker ran through the middle and slammed into Palko during 11-on-11 drills, drawing a loud scolding from Haley, who told his players to be smart and to avoid high-impact collisions. … Third-year defensive lineman Tyson Jackson broke up one of Palko’s passes during team drills.

Keep 'em coming Andy and don't be afraid to treat that #7 jersey like a bull in hot pursuit of a red cape!

bevischief
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Did Jackson knock down a Palko pass or a Cassel pass. Come on reporters this shit is important

It was piss not pass...

Easy 6
08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Wonder if Ayodele is related to Akin Ayodele?
Hasnt Palko worn out his 'i used to be a Patriot' pass yet?
Gaither can take his 700k to Vegas & then stick it up his ass... your best pals a malingerer Branden.

Bugeater
08-17-2011, 06:19 PM
0-16

KCTitus
08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Holy crap! I knew that KC put too much work on Colquitt after that long layoff, and now he's riding a bike?!

Start Croyle
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM
The offense
Quarterback Tyler Palko again was unimpressive, scrambling too often when he perhaps should’ve planted and passed. One poor pass was intercepted by second-year safety Kendrick Lewis. … Rookie wide receiver Josue Paul made a nice play against Quinten Lawrence, cutting to his right and making an open catch near the sideline.

Clearly Haley is giving reps to Palko because he has realized the ineptitude of Cassel! But he is too stubborn to give credit to the King Carl regime by allowing Croyle the practice time he deserves!

milkman
08-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Do we know who the mult is?

Okie_Apparition
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
If Cassel sucks ban me FOREVER!!!!!!

Nutsy

BossChief
08-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Wonder if Ayodele is related to Akin Ayodele?
Hasnt Palko worn out his 'i used to be a Patriot' pass yet?
Gaither can take his 700k to Vegas & then stick it up his ass... your best pals a malingerer Branden.

he has 2 brothers in the NFL according to something posted earlier today...I think one was a raider and one was a jag