PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs encouraged by what they’ve seen from Justin Houston

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Chiefs encouraged by what they’ve seen from Justin Houston (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/17/3083296/chiefs-encouraged-by-what-theyve.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | It’s still early in the NFL career of Justin Houston, the beleaguered but talented linebacker who was the Chiefs’ third-round pick. And though the team is optimistic that questionable days are behind him and spectacular ones are ahead, that optimism is laced with caution.

“I think he can be an outside linebacker for us. Beyond that, who knows?” defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. “It’s hard to say.”

Houston, a former Georgia standout, started as a draft pick with some baggage. Privately and publicly, the Chiefs have said they accept that drafting him with the No. 70 overall pick was a risk. He allegedly failed a drug test before the NFL combine, which for prospects is something like the most important job interview of their lives. A little more than three months later, Houston appeared at training camp — after a brief holdout — in poor cardiovascular condition.

Two weeks have passed since then, and the Chiefs’ hopes have begun to rise, and the odds of their gamble paying off have begun to shift in their favor.

“Physically, he’s done a pretty good job, and it’s getting better pretty quickly,” coach Todd Haley said. “That means he hasn’t let himself go.”

Through a team spokesman, Houston declined four interview requests made by The Star over three days.

Houston played in Friday’s preseason loss to Tampa Bay, finishing with three combined tackles and an assist on special teams. He was drafted with rushing the passer in mind, and Crennel said the team believes he can pressure opposing quarterbacks — in time.

“He hasn’t played many games and doesn’t know what the NFL is about yet,” Crennel said, “so let him get his feet wet, and then we can talk about what he may or may not be.”

Haley said the fact Houston held up during the preseason game was a source of encouragement, considering that about a week earlier in practice Houston continually removed his helmet and took a knee after a shuttle-run drill.

“That was a good sign,” Haley said of Friday night, “and to me, that’s what I feel best about right now: that despite being a young guy on his own for the last two or three months, or more really, he’s done a good job having himself physically in a position to have a chance to compete.”

Before camp began, Houston was a candidate to perhaps start opposite Tamba Hali at outside linebacker. Mike Vrabel retired and became an assistant coach at Ohio State, leaving a vacancy in the lineup that the versatile and dogged Andy Studebaker or the hyped Houston — who had 18½ tackles for losses and 10 sacks in his final year with Georgia — was expected to fill.

Houston’s late arrival and climb back toward proper conditioning hindered his chances to begin the season in the starting lineup, but that hasn’t halted talk about what the Chiefs would like to see from the youngster this preseason.

“I’d like to see about 20 tackles a game and 13 sacks,” Crennel said, joking. “… If I could see that, that would be great.”

But what do the Chiefs expect to see from him?

“About two sacks, maybe, if he’s lucky,” Crennel said. “A couple of mental errors, but generally, he’ll give good effort.”

Crennel said Houston’s coverage ability is better than expected, and his upper-body strength and pass-rushing ability have made an impression.

“He’s a young man that I think has a lot of potential,” Crennel said.

The Chiefs seem to be geared toward bringing Houston along slowly. He’s listed as the third-string outside linebacker, behind Studebaker and second-year defender Cameron Sheffield. Haley said the listing is by design, at least in part.

“We’ve got to resist the urge to give these guys too much too early,” he said, “because we will miss an evaluation or two, I’m sure, just strictly off somebody being a little behind, trying to sort things out and then not playing to their ability. Just trying to keep it fairly simple for all these guys and get a good, accurate reading on where they are.”

Crennel and Haley said they are hopeful that Houston might eventually emerge as the player the team envisioned on the draft’s second day, when the young defender’s mistakes in a sense benefited the Chiefs; he was considered perhaps a first-round talent who dropped into the third round.

Now, the team will wait for the final result of its risk.

“For where he started,” Haley said, “he’s progressed nicely. But that doesn’t mean that he’s caught up, by any means.”

End of camping trip
The Chiefs finished Wednesday with the St. Joseph portion of their training camp.

Chiefs at Ravens
•WHAT: Second preseason game

•WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Friday in Baltimore.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I hope so, imo Houston is one of the keys to whether or not the Chiefs take the next step.

Powe,Houston on Defense
Albert,Richardson,Cassel on Offense

If these 5 players really step up then the Chiefs have a chance to really step up. imo.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
There were plenty of people on this board predicting and/or calling for the following:

Houston in the first round
Stanzi in the second round
Powe in the third round

This could be an incredible draft.

keg in kc
08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Indeed it could be an incredible draft.

I'm thinking Houston's big arrival is down the road though. Everything I've seen about him reads like he might be the kind of player who really needs a structured offseason, so his rookie year may be all but lost.

Unfortunately I think we're going to see that with a lot of rookies this year. Along with the injuries we're seeing league-wide with the vets, the rookie class may pay the price for the lockout.

MOhillbilly
08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I hope so, imo Houston is one of the keys to whether or not the Chiefs take the next step.

Powe,Houston on Defense
Albert,Richardson,Cassel on Offense

If these 5 players really step up then the Chiefs have a chance to really step up. imo.

Big damn IF but its better than the options in this clubs recent history.

The Franchise
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
There were plenty of people on this board predicting and/or calling for the following:

Powe in the third round

Who the hell was calling for Stanzi in the 2nd round?

Chiefnj2
08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Houston will be all about motivation. At Georgia he looked great one game and then would disappear the next. If he had been taken in the 1st round, I'd sense a much bigger bust potential since he would have gotten paid. At least this way, he's hungry for three years.

royr17
08-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I have pretty high expectations for Houston, the Chiefs I feel will have a deadly pass rush this year, hell might just remind us of the days of DT and Neil.

Hali, Houston, Gilberry, good grief opposing teams offense better be able to block well and get rid of the ball quick.

ModSocks
08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Houston will be all about motivation. At Georgia he looked great one game and then would disappear the next. If he had been taken in the 1st round, I'd sense a much bigger bust potential since he would have gotten paid. At least this way, he's hungry for three years.

With the new slotting system he wouldn't have gotten paid much. What did Baldwinning get, 10 millionish? What does that equate to after taxes? Divided by 4?

Not much for NFL standards.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM

I'd have to go check again, but I read through the predraft threads and saw it a few times. (I may have flipped Powe and Stanzi.)

The Franchise
08-18-2011, 10:51 AM
With the new slotting system he wouldn't have gotten paid much. What did Baldwinning get, 10 millionish? What does that equate to after taxes? Divided by 4?

I don't even think it was that much.

Chiefnj2
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Baldwin got a 4 mil signing bonus, Houston was 670k. Huge difference.

Ebolapox
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM

bosschief.

L.A. Chieffan
08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
in houstons defense nobody knew when the lockout was gonna end and he had just stocked up on a three month supply of funyuns

Deberg_1990
08-18-2011, 12:17 PM
My guess is, he has very little impact this year.

FRCDFED
08-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I really like how Haley is bringing these guys along with conditioning. Imagine how everyone on CP would be if our top two picks went down in camp like Detroit. That team is cursed. We can only reach our potential if we stay healthy.

I trust in the Haley/Pioli way. I have confidence that Haley and Crennel will motivate Houston and in due time (when he gets into Haley shape) he will be a beast!

philfree
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Chiefs encouraged by what they’ve seen from Justin Houston (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/17/3083296/chiefs-encouraged-by-what-theyve.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | It’s still early in the NFL career of Justin Houston, the beleaguered but talented linebacker who was the Chiefs’ third-round pick. And though the team is optimistic that questionable days are behind him and spectacular ones are ahead, that optimism is laced with caution.

“I think he can be an outside linebacker for us. Beyond that, who knows?” defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. “It’s hard to say.”

Houston, a former Georgia standout, started as a draft pick with some baggage. Privately and publicly, the Chiefs have said they accept that drafting him with the No. 70 overall pick was a risk. He allegedly failed a drug test before the NFL combine, which for prospects is something like the most important job interview of their lives. A little more than three months later, Houston appeared at training camp — after a brief holdout — in poor cardiovascular condition.Two weeks have passed since then, and the Chiefs’ hopes have begun to rise, and the odds of their gamble paying off have begun to shift in their favor.

“Physically, he’s done a pretty good job, and it’s getting better pretty quickly,” coach Todd Haley said. “That means he hasn’t let himself go.”Through a team spokesman, Houston declined four interview requests made by The Star over three days.

Houston played in Friday’s preseason loss to Tampa Bay, finishing with three combined tackles and an assist on special teams. He was drafted with rushing the passer in mind, and Crennel said the team believes he can pressure opposing quarterbacks — in time.

“He hasn’t played many games and doesn’t know what the NFL is about yet,” Crennel said, “so let him get his feet wet, and then we can talk about what he may or may not be.”

Haley said the fact Houston held up during the preseason game was a source of encouragement, considering that about a week earlier in practice Houston continually removed his helmet and took a knee after a shuttle-run drill.

“That was a good sign,” Haley said of Friday night, “and to me, that’s what I feel best about right now: that despite being a young guy on his own for the last two or three months, or more really, he’s done a good job having himself physically in a position to have a chance to compete.”

Before camp began, Houston was a candidate to perhaps start opposite Tamba Hali at outside linebacker. Mike Vrabel retired and became an assistant coach at Ohio State, leaving a vacancy in the lineup that the versatile and dogged Andy Studebaker or the hyped Houston — who had 18½ tackles for losses and 10 sacks in his final year with Georgia — was expected to fill.

Houston’s late arrival and climb back toward proper conditioning hindered his chances to begin the season in the starting lineup, but that hasn’t halted talk about what the Chiefs would like to see from the youngster this preseason.

“I’d like to see about 20 tackles a game and 13 sacks,” Crennel said, joking. “… If I could see that, that would be great.”

But what do the Chiefs expect to see from him?

“About two sacks, maybe, if he’s lucky,” Crennel said. “A couple of mental errors, but generally, he’ll give good effort.”

Crennel said Houston’s coverage ability is better than expected, and his upper-body strength and pass-rushing ability have made an impression.

“He’s a young man that I think has a lot of potential,” Crennel said.

The Chiefs seem to be geared toward bringing Houston along slowly. He’s listed as the third-string outside linebacker, behind Studebaker and second-year defender Cameron Sheffield. Haley said the listing is by design, at least in part.

“We’ve got to resist the urge to give these guys too much too early,” he said, “because we will miss an evaluation or two, I’m sure, just strictly off somebody being a little behind, trying to sort things out and then not playing to their ability. Just trying to keep it fairly simple for all these guys and get a good, accurate reading on where they are.”

Crennel and Haley said they are hopeful that Houston might eventually emerge as the player the team envisioned on the draft’s second day, when the young defender’s mistakes in a sense benefited the Chiefs; he was considered perhaps a first-round talent who dropped into the third round.

Now, the team will wait for the final result of its risk.

“For where he started,” Haley said, “he’s progressed nicely. But that doesn’t mean that he’s caught up, by any means.”

End of camping trip
The Chiefs finished Wednesday with the St. Joseph portion of their training camp.

Chiefs at Ravens
•WHAT: Second preseason game

•WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Friday in Baltimore.

So he didn't let himself go but he showed up in poor cardiovascular condition. Mmm K.

Cornstock
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I understood that as he was still hitting the weights hard and kept body fat down, but just wasn't doing the cardio
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Any kind of pass rush from him across from Tamba would be just fine in my eyes. If Andy steps up and handles the first 2 downs and we can afford to only use Houston in passing situations that would really help us. Houston and Gilberry across from Tamba could really give us a legit pass rush. We get more pressure and our playmakers in the secondary plus DJ are gonna make some big plays. Just imagine if DJ holds onto a few more picks this year, or if Lewis continues into the season what he seems to be doing in camp.

Chief Faithful
08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
It would be hiliarious if he out performs Van Miller this year.

-King-
08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
So he didn't let himself go but he showed up in poor cardiovascular condition. Mmm K.

He wasn't in football shape, just like the other 90 players when they first showed up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Hoping that Houston can blossom early and help this team rush the QB.
Tamba can't do it all on his own. We need 5-10 sacks from that other side.
Whether it's split between Houston and Studebaker or all from one of them...
Getting off the field requires our ability to get there...and finish.

-King-
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm just hoping hrs better than Sedan Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Powe in the third round

I was one of them.

LOVE the 2011 draft.

Direckshun
08-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Indeed it could be an incredible draft.

I'm thinking Houston's big arrival is down the road though. Everything I've seen about him reads like he might be the kind of player who really needs a structured offseason, so his rookie year may be all but lost.

Unfortunately I think we're going to see that with a lot of rookies this year. Along with the injuries we're seeing league-wide with the vets, the rookie class may pay the price for the lockout.

Houston looked damn good against second stringers Friday.

A full season of growing pains, followed by a structured offseason?

He could be wrecking lives by this time next year.

Direckshun
08-18-2011, 01:50 PM

That would be me.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Hoping that Houston can blossom early and help this team rush the QB.
Tamba can't do it all on his own. We need 5-10 sacks from that other side.
Whether it's split between Houston and Studebaker or all from one of them...
Getting off the field requires our ability to get there...and finish.

If he hadn't smoked weed, and we'd drafted him in the first, people would be expecting 6-8 sacks out of him. If we'd drafted Powe in the 3rd, people would be expecting him to be in the heavy rotation by week 8.

Its nice that we were able to pick them up in the scratch-and-dent section, but they aren't different guys just because of where they were drafted. I think Houston gets 6.5 sacks. I hope Powe contributes on a regular basis, but I have my doubts. The fact that he is already 24 worries me as well. I don't know why nobody seems to talk about that.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Big damn IF but its better than the options in this clubs recent history.
yea, but both Powe and Houston have the physical tools and upside to excel. In fact both had success at the college level that shows potential.

The success of Albert,Richardson and Cassel are all tied together. The better one of them plays the better they all look as a group. Albert and Richardson definitely have the tools to succeed.

SAUTO
08-18-2011, 03:08 PM
If he hadn't smoked weed, and we'd drafted him in the first, people would be expecting 6-8 sacks out of him. If we'd drafted Powe in the 3rd, people would be expecting him to be in the heavy rotation by week 8.

Its nice that we were able to pick them up in the scratch-and-dent section, but they aren't different guys just because of where they were drafted. I think Houston gets 6.5 sacks. I hope Powe contributes on a regular basis, but I have my doubts. The fact that he is already 24 worries me as well. I don't know why nobody seems to talk about that.

many NTs play into their mid 30s.

RedThat
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Houston looked damn good against second stringers Friday.

A full season of growing pains, followed by a structured offseason?

He could be wrecking lives by this time next year.

Yeah thats what I saw too.

He is coming along fast and one can already see the guy has very good passrushing skills.

Plus he has the advantage because Georgia runs a 3-4 system very similar to the Chiefs. I expect him to pick things up right away and contribute this year.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
many NTs play into their mid 30s.

Right, but he may be closer to his ceiling than most rookies.

BossChief
08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
That would be me.

excuse me? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=235625&highlight=stanzi)

I cant wait for this whole thing to play out and then have everyone tell me how a second round pick would have been foolish.

Direckshun
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
excuse me? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=235625&highlight=stanzi)

I cant wait for this whole thing to play out and then have everyone tell me how a second round pick would have been foolish.

I posted a big board in the draft forum that had him down as a 2nd round pick.

I'll see if I can find it, but I'm not going to look very hard.

Direckshun
08-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Here it is.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244044

Less than two weeks before the draft, he was my 48th favorite prospect.

Ebolapox
08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
well yeah, it WOULD have been foolish, even IF he's good.

let's put it this way... the pressure on a second round QB is more than that of a fifth round QB--he's expected to put pressure on the starter sooner rather than later.

you can't logically state that he would have flourished as a second rounder, even IF he flourishes as a fifth rounder. the variables for everything would've been different--a lot of people would be calling for him to start earlier than he may be ready for, expectations are higher, etc.

however, as a fifth rounder, he can develop at a slow pace and the chances of his ability coming out in an easier manner are MUCH higher. we can give him time to marinate on the bench.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 06:46 PM

I will admit that I did not expect such a resounding answer to this question to present itself.

SAUTO
08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Right, but he may be closer to his ceiling than most rookies.

Physically? He looks the part to me.

Technically? Doubt it. You can always learn
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
If Stanzi ends up being an effective starter in this league, a second round pick for that would have been a steal

Lets just let it play out, though.

He may end up never starting a game and being a 10 year backup player and that, for a second rounder, would have been a terrible pick.

time will tell

Lets also take into account that at the time I posted that thread, Cassel was still sucking shit though a mcdonalds straw...10/24/2010

At that point..."the pressure on a second round QB is more than that of a fifth round QB--he's expected to put pressure on the starter sooner rather than later."...would have been the case.

As the year went on, I softened my stance to a third rounder, but would still be happy if we took him with a second...because I believe in the player.

BossChief
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I will admit that I did not expect such a resounding answer to this question to present itself.

We all have homer posts about players from their favorite college team.

Pest is definitely included in that statement.

The great majority of mine actually come to fruition, though.

DTLB58
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Any kind of pass rush from him across from Tamba would be just fine in my eyes. If Andy steps up and handles the first 2 downs and we can afford to only use Houston in passing situations that would really help us. Houston and Gilberry across from Tamba could really give us a legit pass rush. We get more pressure and our playmakers in the secondary plus DJ are gonna make some big plays. Just imagine if DJ holds onto a few more picks this year, or if Lewis continues into the season what he seems to be doing in camp.

That's what I was kinda thinking, Situational pass rusher. Nic change of pace against that OT probably comes in the game fresh on 3rd and faster than Stude.

BossChief
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
As a pass rush specialist, Houston could get a lot more work than some might think.

With Kelly Gregg in the middle and the ends likely to improve through attrition...this team should face 2nd and long a lot more than last year.

That puts Hali and Houston in prime position to pin those ears back and rape folks.

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
As a pass rush specialist, Houston could get a lot more work than some might think.

With Kelly Gregg in the middle and the ends likely to improve through attrition...this team should face 2nd and long a lot more than last year.

That puts Hali and Houston in prime position to pin those ears back and rape folks.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TAKL3Og-zGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

we'll hand banana motherfuckers

Coogs
08-18-2011, 08:35 PM
yea, but both Powe and Houston have the physical tools and upside to excel. In fact both had success at the college level that shows potential.

Haven't you heard success in college doesn't mean squat. Most of the guys they lined up against are going to be serving you at McDonald's someday. ;)

Cornstock
08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
If Stanzi ends up being an effective starter in this league, a second round pick for that would have been a steal

Lets just let it play out, though.

He may end up never starting a game and being a 10 year backup player and that, for a second rounder, would have been a terrible pick.

time will tell

Lets also take into account that at the time I posted that thread, Cassel was still sucking shit though a mcdonalds straw...10/24/2010

At that point..."the pressure on a second round QB is more than that of a fifth round QB--he's expected to put pressure on the starter sooner rather than later."...would have been the case.

As the year went on, I softened my stance to a third rounder, but would still be happy if we took him with a second...because I believe in the player.

Jeez, the least he could do is suck it throw a Hardees/Carl's Jr. straw...Much wider. I guess Cassel just sucks at sucking.

Frankie
08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

I fully expect him to out perform Van Miller. Not only this year but for years to come.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2011, 08:58 PM

I wouldn't be shocked to see Houston get 6-8 sacks if the D-line plays well. Crennel did point out wisely that even the pass-rush specialist has to be aware of screens, draws, reverses, running qbs ect.

As for Gregg and the D-line, how much do you think Gregg will see % wise? With his age would he really play more than 55-60% of the snaps? Gonna be a lot of time, important time, for Powe.

Frankie
08-18-2011, 09:00 PM
The fact that he is already 24 worries me as well. I don't know why nobody seems to talk about that.

Because there ain't that much diff between 23 and 24?

Frankie
08-18-2011, 09:02 PM

I posted a big board in the draft forum that had him down as a 2nd round pick.

I'll see if I can find it, but I'm not going to look very hard.

Gosh you guys are fighting who was wrong first?

:D

BossChief
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Houston get 6-8 sacks if the D-line plays well. Crennel did point out wisely that even the pass-rush specialist has to be aware of screens, draws, reverses, running qbs ect.

As for Gregg and the D-line, how much do you think Gregg will see % wise? With his age would he really play more than 55-60% of the snaps? Gonna be a lot of time, important time, for Powe.

I think he plays about half the snaps.

Maybe more like 65% during the start of the year, but at about the halfway point I expect Powe to start getting a lot more reps.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Because there ain't that much diff between 23 and 24?

That's an astute observation, but I don't know what that proves.

Eric Berry was 21 when we drafted him.
Jonathan Baldwin was 21 when we drafted him.

Powe was 24 when we drafted him. 3 years is a big difference.

Frankie
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
That's an astute observation, but I don't know what that proves.

Eric Berry was 21 when we drafted him.
Jonathan Baldwin was 21 when we drafted him.

I don't recall if either was an underclassman coming out. But if seniors:

Out of HS = 18

18+4 (years of college) = 22

Typically most football seniors have had a year of redshirt: 22 + 1 = 23

I made a general assumption, but one would think most NFL players start around 23.

BossChief
08-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't recall if either was an underclassman coming out. But if seniors:

Out of HS = 18

18+4 (years of college) = 22

Typically most football seniors have had a year of redshirt: 22 + 1 = 23

I made a general assumption, but one would think most NFL players start around 23.

powe cant read or understand any of this

Frankie
08-19-2011, 12:00 AM
powe cant read or understand any of this

There you go! So he'll never find out he's 24. He'll play like a 22 year old.