PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs lose 31-13 to Ravens in second preseason game By

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Chiefs lose 31-13 to Ravens in second preseason game (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/19/3087665/chiefs-lose-31-13-to-ravens-in.html)
By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

BALTIMORE | Todd Haley would not address reports that wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin was injured in a fight with teammate Thomas Jones after the Chiefs lost their preseason game 31-13 to the Ravens on Friday night.

“I don’t understand the question or what you’re talking about,” Haley said when asked what happened between Baldwin and Jones.

Pressed on the issue, Haley said, “Jonathan Baldwin did not play tonight due to injury. As I say in here a bunch, that’s the extent of what we’re going to talk about.

“Injuries (fall) in the family business category. I’ll talk about the guys out there tonight playing and trying to get better.”

The Chiefs left Baldwin behind in Kansas City. Jones played Friday night.

“At this point right now I’m just focused on this game and how we played,” Jones said. “… If it’s not a football question, I’m really not interested in answering.”

Baldwin, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick, injured a hand or wrist in the fight. He did not practice with the Chiefs in their final workout at training camp Wednesday in St. Joseph and was not with the injured players attending the practice.

Haley’s comments were the only ones the Chiefs have made since Baldwin’s absence. Baldwin’s agent has not returned repeated messages and Baldwin has not addressed the incident on his Twitter account.

As for the game, the Chiefs were far more competitive than they were in last week’s exhibition opener against Tampa Bay, but it still didn’t result in a victory.

The Ravens scored three touchdowns in the game’s final 7:15 in overcoming a 13-10 Chiefs lead. Up to that point, the Chiefs were more efficient on both sides of the ball, particularly on defense.

“There were bright spots across the board with our team,” Haley said. “Defensively, it appeared we made progress in some areas. Offensively, I want to be fair to all the guys. We’re really working hard on the fundamentals of football. We’re not over-exotic right now. We’re not scheming to make plays. Sometimes that’s frustrating for all of us.

“It’s disappointing when the game goes the way it does and you know there are things that maybe you could have done to change the result. But at the same time … we’re working on us.”

Leading 24-13 with 1:18 remaining, Baltimore didn’t let up. Quarterback Hunter Cantwell threw a 38-yard pass on the Ravens’ first play of the drive and Baltimore called a timeout to set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Anthony Allen with 5 seconds left.

Haley said he didn’t have any problem with how the Ravens handled things.

“I just control what we do,” Haley said. “There are probably guys out on the field that may have had limited opportunity. Coaches get very limited opportunity to evaluate (players) so their coach has to do what he has to do to get his team ready just like I’m trying to do what we have to do to get ours ready.”

The Chiefs made the first big play when Justin Houston knocked the ball away from Baltimore returner Lardarius Webb on the game’s first punt. Jackie Battle recovered for the Chiefs at the Baltimore 15.

The Chiefs gained only 2 yards on three plays but scored their first points of the preseason on Ryan Succop’s 31-yard field goal.

Baltimore quickly tied the game at 3-3 on Billy Cundiff’s 49-yard field goal. The Chiefs missed a chance to go back ahead in the second quarter when Succop’s 46-yard field goal bounced off the right upright and back onto the field.

The Ravens took their first lead when Ray Rice ran 26 yards for a touchdown with just more than 3 minutes left in the half. Javier Arenas had a chance to make a tackle near the line of scrimmage but missed, and Rice had a clear path to the end zone.

The Chiefs, behind backup quarterback Tyler Palko, finished the half with an impressive touchdown drive. He completed three of four passes for 50 yards, the final pass being his best.

On third and 3 from the Baltimore 4, defensive back Cary Williams came untouched on a blitz. With Williams in his face, Palko was still able to find Terrance Copper in the end zone.

The touchdown pass came with 12 seconds left in the half and tied the score at 10-10.

Palko led a third-quarter drive that stalled on the Baltimore 12. Succop kicked a 30-yard field goal that put the Chiefs ahead 13-10.

Fight hurts
Sam Mellinger says the scuffle between rookie Jonathan Baldwin (left) and Thomas Jones is a blow to KC’s credibility. | A1

To reach Adam Teicher, call 816-234-4875 or send email to ateicher@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/adamteicher.
© 2011 Kansas City Star and wire service s