PDA

View Full Version : Misc Is I-29 still flooded to Omaha?

ROYC75
08-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Anybody know ? I have a truck I need to send to the west coast and he always takes I-80, up I-29 from KC. BTW, he is a wide load, 10'8", if they have a detour, let me know. I have looked the Iowa website, but's not clear what road the detour is.

Need answers.

Blah Blah Blah, spelled flooded wrong.

Ming the Merciless
08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
n of mound city

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Omaha,+Neb&hl=en&ll=40.526327,-95.583801&spn=1.348644,2.859192&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.744674,91.494141&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=9&layer=t

just goin by the google tho

let it load, then click on the red - minus signs

Although it does say its expected to end soon.....ho im reading it, flood advisory ends in 30 minutes

live traffic meter also looks like its turnin green

Ming the Merciless
08-22-2011, 01:20 AM
flood advisories came back, but still says its ending in 30 mins...weird

then the official website has all kinds of bridges out

Ming the Merciless
08-22-2011, 01:24 AM
http://www.iowadot.gov/floods/iowafloodedroads.html

hmmm

maybe google is ****ed, looks like road is closed and some bridges out according to that map....

ROYC75
08-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Oh FUDGE!

I have done bought the O/D permit for Nebraska. Going to have to cancel it and go across KC to Denver and up to Cheyenne.

Ming the Merciless
08-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Oh FUDGE!

I have done bought the O/D permit for Nebraska. Going to have to cancel it and go across KC to Denver and up to Cheyenne.

theres a 1-800 number you can call to double check, 8:00 am-8:00pm flood hotline

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency has set up a hotline to answer questions about flooding around the state.

You can call 855-211-2453, or 855-211-2454 for information on flooding already occurring and potential flooding....

The hotline will operate weekdays from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 pm., 7 days a week.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-22-2011, 02:21 AM
What the hell is flooed ?

ROYC75
08-22-2011, 02:38 AM
What the hell is flooed ?

Missed the D, didn't I.

chasedude
08-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Even though flood waters maybe receding, the roads are washed out. Parts of I-29 are completely gone! It will take quite awhile to get them resurfaced.

Bugeater
08-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Even though flood waters maybe receding, the roads are washed out. Parts of I-29 are completely gone! It will take quite awhile to get them resurfaced.
That's what I've been wondering all along, what the hell are they going to find once the water goes away. I just hope they have it open by the weekend of the Vikings game, those detours are a freaking pain in the ass.

Phobia
08-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Oh FUDGE!

I have done bought.

I have done did readed this one fourth times, I did indeed.

Sam Hall
08-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm traveling to Lincoln from the KC area during the October 8 weekend. It looks like we will be taking a different route this year. We will probably head west to Topeka and then north to Lincoln. Unfortunately, it will add 30-45 minutes to the trip.

Bearcat
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm traveling to Lincoln from the KC area during the October 8 weekend. It looks like we will be taking a different route this year. We will probably head west to Topeka and then north to Lincoln. Unfortunately, it will add 30-45 minutes to the trip.

Think it'll still be closed in October? I hope not... hockey weekends in Omaha start in October. :(

Sam Hall
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Think it'll still be closed in October? I hope not... hockey weekends in Omaha start in October. :(

I was told that I-29 is under water and will be ruined, even after the water goes away. There is supposedly a detour in St. Joe that takes you to Omaha. I don't think I want to deal with it. The situation north of St. Joe still appears to be a mess. The towns along the Missouri River basin are still worried about flooding.

mlyonsd
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
FWIW last week they started cutting flows from the last dam on the system. It still will be a few weeks before the river is completely back in it's banks though.

Bearcat
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I was told that I-29 is under water and will be ruined, even after the water goes away. There is supposedly a detour in St. Joe that takes you to Omaha. I don't think I want to deal with it. The situation north of St. Joe still appears to be a mess. The towns along the Missouri River basin are still worried about flooding.

I guess that would be 36W to 75N, or 71N to 34W... both add 45 minutes to the trip according to Google. The link below says to go to Salina or Des Moines. :banghead:

ROYC75
08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I have done did readed this one fourth times, I did indeed.

Thanks for the support.

It was well past my bedtime and too many meds, not health wise, just very tired when I typed it.

ROYC75
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
US 59 No detour to 34 in Iowa, then NB.

Will be closed for sometime, it was that bad.

Bugeater
08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
It's not looking good.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320160_10150266184170642_188868925641_7687998_6106896_n.jpg

Frazod
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Holy crap, that's amazing. Yeah, that won't be fixed anytime soon.

philfree
08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I probably be heading to SD in early Nov. Is the road destroyed as you go farther north. Will I be able to get across the Ft Randall Dam when I get there?

Bearcat
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
It's not looking good.

:eek:

I saw this earlier and thought 'meh, they'll get it cleaned up'... I read a couple articles that said 'hopefully by winter', but they made it seem like it was mostly debris and off-ramp damage.

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20110817&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=110819801&Ref=AR&maxw=490&maxh=275

Reerun_KC
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
how the hell can we get some rain like that down here in Oklahoma?

Reerun_KC
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
We have some places that hasnt had rain in over 340 days.

Bugeater
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
:eek:

I saw this earlier and thought 'meh, they'll get it cleaned up'... I read a couple articles that said 'hopefully by winter', but they made it seem like it was mostly debris and off-ramp damage.

I don't know exactly where that pic was taken or how much of it is that bad. If it's only one small section where the water was rushing over it may not take all that long. We'll probably have a better idea in the next couple weeks as more water recedes.

Sam Hall
08-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't know exactly where that pic was taken or how much of it is that bad. If it's only one small section where the water was rushing over it may not take all that long. We'll probably have a better idea in the next couple weeks as more water recedes.

It looks like Highway 2 near Nebraska City. Makes sense considering Nebraska City is right by the Missouri River.

BWillie
08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't know how to get to Omaha, but I just went to Sioux City from Olathe for a wedding. I just took I-29 to the Craig exit. Took Highway 59 to I-80. Took I-80 West to get back on I-29 which was a little north of Omaha.

BWillie
08-22-2011, 02:05 PM

I think it's almost only from the large amounts of snow they received in the mountains this winter. When it all melted, that is when the flooding started.

chasedude
08-22-2011, 02:13 PM

If I could send some of this shit your way I would!

chiefqueen
08-22-2011, 05:31 PM

IMO I would have been very surprised if I-29 opened back up before the beginning of 2012 even if there was no damage (DOT would want to have a looksy). If they have to rebuild parts of it I think you're looking at next summer at the earliest (and that may be optimistic). Remember - each state government would have to bid it out.

Sam Hall
08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I know that you can easily get from KC to Des Moines using I-35. I wonder if you could get off I-35 somewhere and get to Omaha.

Bugeater
08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I know that you can easily get from KC to Des Moines using I-35. I wonder if you could get off I-35 somewhere and get to Omaha.
Sure, if you want to unnecessarily add several hours to your trip. US 59 and US 71 are both much better alternatives.

Bearcat
08-23-2011, 08:23 AM

If the speed limit on I-35 and I-80 was 100, I'd be all over it...

71 is 2 lanes each direction & divided from the I-29 exit to Maryville, so that's something, I guess. They were just finishing it at the end of my senior year a NW after four+ years of playing 'hey, I can make it!'

Bugeater
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Apparently that picture I posted earlier is of I-29 north of Council Bluffs. Just for fun, here's a few of I-680 between the Missouri River and the I-29 interchange. I think it's pretty safe to say that section is going to need to be completely rebuilt.

http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/images/IMG_9400.jpg

http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/images/IMG_9402.jpg

http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/images/IMG_9412.jpg

bevischief
08-24-2011, 04:36 PM
That's what I've been wondering all along, what the hell are they going to find once the water goes away. I just hope they have it open by the weekend of the Vikings game, those detours are a freaking pain in the ass.

That would be nice. I agree those detours suck.

bevischief
08-24-2011, 04:38 PM
I probably be heading to SD in early Nov. Is the road destroyed as you go farther north. Will I be able to get across the Ft Randall Dam when I get there?

Once past Omaha no problem in the SD or ND on 29.

ClearmontChief
08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi guys!

I live up near Omaha, (Glenwood, Iowa) and travel down to the games. Here's what I know, I-29 is closed North of Rock Port, Missouri to the Plattsmouth, Neb exit. Then, it's closed again North of Council Bluffs...so, you can't get to South Dakota. They just showed I-29 North of CB and it's all broken up...it will be awhile. They say I-29 South around Hwy 2, Nebraska City is the same way.

If you're in KC and driving a truck, it might just be best to go I-35 North to Des Moines then West on I-80 and avoid all of I-29.

If you're travelling locally and want to use I-29 some, there are several options. I personally travel from Glenwood 5-6 miles to the East and get on Hwy 275. It goes all the way through to Rock Port, Missouri then get on I-29 and on to KC. It works great in a car, and the mileage and time is almost exactly like being on I-29. However, it's says "Closed to Thru traffic" between Hamburg, Iowa and Rock Port, Missouri. It's narrow with no shoulders, not a recommended truck route.

You can go on Highway 71 North from St. Joe all the way to Iowa Highway 34 and then West to I-29. Or, as others have said, Highway 59 at Craig, Missouri, up Hwy 59 once again to Iowa Hwy 34 then West. Or, both Hwy 71 and Hwy 59 go all the way to I-80 and on. Both are good roads, 71 divided all the way to Maryville then comes together. 59 is together the whole way and actually quite curvy.

That's all I know.

Bugeater
08-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Another pic of I-680 north of Council Bluffs. I hope the damage to I-29 isn't this severe.

http://img.vrvm.com/media/render.htm?m=318667811&width=320

plbrdude
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
rumor has it that the supports on the bridges at hamburg have been washed out. i guess they're hanging there but had been poured around the piling. really not thinking they'll just pile dirt back up around them. heard in the local hardware too today that it will prolly be 2013 before it's fully reopened.

Sam Hall
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
When I travel to Lincoln in a month, I plan on heading west to Topeka and then taking 75 north to Nebraska City. Based on everything I'd read, that route will work because it avoids the mess on I-29 near Nebraska City.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to avoid the mess in that area.

Bugeater
08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
When I travel to Lincoln in a month, I plan on heading west to Wichita and then taking 75 north to Nebraska City. Based on everything I'd read, that route will work because it avoids the mess on I-29 near Nebraska City.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to avoid the mess in that area.

The NDOR website says there's construction on 75 and it's not a recommended detour. I'd take 29 to St Joe, then US 36W to US 77N.

Bugeater
08-31-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm assuming you meant Topeka and not Wichita.

Sam Hall
08-31-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm assuming you meant Topeka and not Wichita.

You are correct, sir.

Bugeater
08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
According to Mapquest, both routes are right around 4hrs. I'd consider avoiding 75 anyway since it's the closest detour and likely will have more traffic.

Sam Hall
08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
According to Mapquest, both routes are right around 4hrs. I'd consider avoiding 75 anyway since it's the closest detour and likely will have more traffic.

Looks like a case of pick your poison. I was hoping to take 75 north from Topeka because it looks like an easier route. I'll have to see if anything's changed in a month.

Bugeater
08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Looks like a case of pick your poison. I was hoping to take 75 north from Topeka because it looks like an easier route. I'll have to see if anything's changed in a month.
This is probably the best place to check, there's a link for a flood information right on the front page.

http://www.dor.state.ne.us/

Right now they're still recommending 77 over 75 for KC travelers.

http://www.roads.ne.gov/flood/flood-roads.pdf

chasedude
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
An update to road repair:

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/29225675/detail.html

Money, time and commerce concern the Missouri Department of Transportation in its efforts to restore Northwest Missouri roads. Area residents just want to see the roads opened.
“We’ve been making plans all summer, and as soon as it’s possible, we’re getting forces in there to repair these roads and get motorists moving again,” said Don Wichern, the department’s Northwest District engineer. Preliminary estimates indicate that it’s going to take between $10 million and $20 million to repair the state and federal roads in Northwest Missouri.
Federal funds totaling $2 million were released this week, and the district spent more than half for a contract to repair a three-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 59.“The goal is to get that highway open and interstate commerce rolling as soon as safely possible,” Mr. Wichern said. More flood coverage (http://www.newspressnow.com/2011-flooding/index.html)
Daily traffic along Highway 59 between Atchison, Kan., and Missouri averages 10,000 vehicles a day. Making plans and changing routines impacted a lot of St. Joseph residents who work in Atchison, including Andrea Sloan, Benedictine College’s web administrator.
Closing U.S. 59 changed a 30-minute drive into a 50-minute drive, Ms. Sloan said. The lengthened drive added gas costs, miles on the car and took away from family time. “I’m beyond excited to think that the highway may reopen in a few days,” she said.
Missouri’s $1.2 million emergency contract went to Herzog Contracting Corp. on Thursday and work began Friday. The contract contains a cash incentive that will be paid based on how quickly the highway is safely reopened.As soon as the $2 million runs out, the highway district will file for additional funds. Bids will be opened next week on a project to repair three of the four holes on U.S. Highway 136 between Rock Port and Brownville, Neb.
“It’s really been stressful having that road closed,” said Jeff Seaman, Rock Port’s mayor, who works at the Cooper Nuclear Power Plant. The mayor’s 15-minute drive to work turned into a 2½ hour nightmare earlier this summer when flooding closed the highway. “Now I have to drive 130 miles to get to work,” he said.
And it’s not just the mayor; there are 150 people living in Missouri who work at the power plant.
The department began clearing Missouri Highway 111 Thursday from Missouri Highway 118 to the south. The road has two to three inches of muck, but employees think they can quickly clear and open the road, Mr. Wichern said.
U.S. Highway 159, which connects with the Missouri River bridge to Rulo, Neb., remains closed as BNSF continues to pour money into raising the tracks on its main line. Barnes Realty has rented a building for workers from Nebraska who have jobs in Missouri. “Things won’t get better until everyone can drive back and forth,” said owner Rick Barnes.
There is no contract at this time for the repair and opening of Highway 159. The floodwaters will have to dissipate first, and that probably won’t happen until after mid-October, officials said.

Bugeater
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't give a fuck about any of those highways, I just want I-29 to reopen.

Bearcat
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM
DOT hopes to reopen I-29, I-680 in a couple of months (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0CCwQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radioiowa.com%2F2011%2F09%2F16%2Fdot-hopes-to-reopen-i-29-680-in-a-couple-of-months%2F&rct=j&q=i-29%20flooding&ctbm=nws&ei=W7V3TsqSEfOBsgKrnuGLBQ&usg=AFQjCNEA8V5MMnwcLkollqPWJEiaGYONiQ&sig2=rAdXvlDUH65b5BkVaBwlxA&cad=rja)

by Matt Kelley on September 16, 2011

in Fires/Accidents/Disasters

http://www.radioiowa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/I-680.jpg
Damaged I-680 in western Iowa. (DOT photo)

Iowa transportation officials want to get traffic moving again on Interstates 29 and 680 in the southwest corner of the state. Wide sections of the road were reduced to rubble in this summer’s Missouri River flooding.

Bob Younie, a maintenance engineer at the Iowa Department of Transportation, says he’d like to see both highways reopen within a couple of months.

Younie says, “We’re going to do everything we can, everything that’s reasonable within our power, to make sure that happens and I’d like to think we could make that happen this year but that’s not a promise.” Iowa D.O.T. spokeswoman Dena Gray-Fisher says I-680 is being given a priority due to the amount of damage.

“This will be a very accelerated plan,” Gray-Fisher says. “The goal is to try to get the roadway open as quickly as possible. That may even be yet this year.” She says crews will reconstruct the road using the original blueprints and no changes will be made.

Gray-Fisher says, “It will be as built and that means contractors will get a hold of the original contract design and will rebuild it the same way.” She says this isn’t going to be an easy task as the damaged concrete will have to be removed and then they’ll start from scratch.

“It’s very aggressive in the fact that the roadway is totally destroyed and is going to have to be completely rebuilt,” Gray-Fisher says. An emergency bid letting is set for September 21st. Also, the last segment of pavement on Interstate-29 north of Council Bluffs emerged from the flood water on Tuesday.

Crews continue to remove debris from I-29 and now will be able to get a good look at repairs that need to be made. Gray-Fisher says while repairs are needed, I-29 withstood the flood fairly well.

Bugeater
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
And fuck that section of I-680 as well, there are three other places to cross the river in Omaha.

Titty Meat
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Everytime I go to Omaha theres construction so i'm guessing it won't be any different now for the next decade.

lcarus
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Everytime I go to Omaha theres construction so i'm guessing it won't be any different now for the next decade.

Come to Tulsa. The highway travel isn't so bad but god damn the main roads....constant worthless construction.

Bugeater
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
When do you ever come to Omaha?

I know, they've been working on I-29 for the last three years, but trust me, it had been at least three freaking decades since they had done anything major before that. It was a long time coming.

Titty Meat
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
When do you ever come to Omaha?

I know, they've been working on I-29 for the last three years, but trust me, it had been at least three freaking decades since they had done anything major before that. It was a long time coming.

Eh it's been several years

Bearcat
09-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I cuss at those who go 40mph through the one-lane construction areas (that have a posted speed limit of 55), but I'm glad they're repaving it. There were times a few years ago when I'd drive with my right tires just over the lane divider when no one was around so I wasn't constantly hitting potholes and cracks.

Dartgod
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
I have to go to Omaha in a couple of weeks for training. What's the best route to take? I was thinking of taking I-29 to 36W and then 75N to Omaha. Is this a good idea, or is there a better route?

Bugeater
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I have to go to Omaha in a couple of weeks for training. What's the best route to take? I was thinking of taking I-29 to 36W and then 75N to Omaha. Is this a good idea, or is there a better route?
No, there's a bunch of construction north of Nebraska City. Use US 59 north out of Craig, MO to US 34 west back to I-29.

Sam Hall
09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I've continued to follow this, considering my trip to Lincoln is a little more than two weeks away. Based on what I read last week, this is the best route from KC to Lincoln:

Take I-29 to St. Joe
Take US 36 West crossing into Kansas
Take US 73 North crossing into Nebraska
Take NE 67 for about 17 miles
Take US 136 for about 9 miles
Take US 75 North to Highway 2 near Nebraska City
Follow Highway 2 to Lincoln

The parts between St. Joe and Nebraska City sound like an adventure. Maybe that's just because I've never taken that route before.

Dartgod
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
No, there's a bunch of construction north of Nebraska City. Use US 59 north out of Craig, MO to US 34 west back to I-29.
Thanks, looks doable. So do I take 80W into Omaha from 29? I'm staying near Boy's Town on Dodge.
Based on what I read last week, this is the best route from KC to Lincoln:
That would be great if i was going to Lincoln.

Holladay
09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Sam, that route takes you right by my house:)

Take I-29 to St. Joe
Take US 36 West crossing into Kansas
Take US 73 North crossing into Nebraska
Take NE 67 for about 17 miles
Take US 136 for about 9 miles
Take US 75 North to Highway 2 near Nebraska City
Follow Highway 2 to Lincoln

At the intersection of NE Stateline and 73N, look over your right shoulder at the 4:00 position...Grey House with a silo. Yup, middle of nowhere!

It's a nice drive. Takes awhile thou.

Bugeater
09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks, looks doable. So do I take 80W into Omaha from 29? I'm staying near Boy's Town on Dodge.

Yep, 80W to 680N to the Dodge Expressway.

chasedude
10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Update for I-29 From Omaha to KC

http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=229237

ROCK PORT, Mo. -- A section of interstate that has been closed since the middle of June is expected to reopen a little earlier than expected.

Missouri Department of Transportation officials say the section of I-29 in Iowa just north of Atchison County, Mo., is expected to reopen later this week.

It's a stretch of interstate from Exit 110 in Rock Port to Exit 32 near Pacific Junction, Iowa.

It will hold head-to-head traffic while repairs are being made to still-damaged portions of the roadway.

Still, MoDOT believes this is good progress for a problem that has lasted for more than three months.

During this summer's flooding, Missouri's portion of I-29 remained undamaged.

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/29388466/detail.html

Interstate 29 is expected to re-open north of Rock Port, Mo., later this week.That’s about a week earlier than the Iowa Department of Transportation’s previous estimate for re-opening the route between Kansas City and Omaha, Neb. Iowa transportation officials plan to allow traffic on I-29 later this week from the Missouri state line to U.S. Highway 34 near Pacific Junction, Iowa.The interstate has been closed since June due to heavy flooding in Southwest Iowa, forcing northbound motorists to detour at Rock Port.An announcement with the day and time of the opening will be made later this week. Construction and repair work is ongoing at this time.In addition, two I-29 exits will remain closed: Exit 1 to Hamburg and exit 10 to Nebraska City, Neb

LiveSteam
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM

http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=229237

ROCK PORT, Mo. -- A section of interstate that has been closed since the middle of June is expected to reopen a little earlier than expected.

Missouri Department of Transportation officials say the section of I-29 in Iowa just north of Atchison County, Mo., is expected to reopen later this week.

It's a stretch of interstate from Exit 110 in Rock Port to Exit 32 near Pacific Junction, Iowa.

It will hold head-to-head traffic while repairs are being made to still-damaged portions of the roadway.

Still, MoDOT believes this is good progress for a problem that has lasted for more than three months.

During this summer's flooding, Missouri's portion of I-29 remained undamaged.

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/29388466/detail.html

Interstate 29 is expected to re-open north of Rock Port, Mo., later this week.That’s about a week earlier than the Iowa Department of Transportation’s previous estimate for re-opening the route between Kansas City and Omaha, Neb. Iowa transportation officials plan to allow traffic on I-29 later this week from the Missouri state line to U.S. Highway 34 near Pacific Junction, Iowa.The interstate has been closed since June due to heavy flooding in Southwest Iowa, forcing northbound motorists to detour at Rock Port.An announcement with the day and time of the opening will be made later this week. Construction and repair work is ongoing at this time.In addition, two I-29 exits will remain closed: Exit 1 to Hamburg and exit 10 to Nebraska City, Neb

I think I will still avoid I-29 Thursday morning when I head to Fordland Missouri.

Bugeater
10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I think I will still avoid I-29 Thursday morning when I head to Fordland Missouri.
Why? Even with the construction and the lane restrictions it's still going to be faster than those detours.

Bearcat
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Interstate 29 is expected to re-open north of Rock Port, Mo., later this week.That’s about a week earlier than the Iowa Department of Transportation’s previous estimate for re-opening the route between Kansas City and Omaha, Neb. Iowa transportation officials plan to allow traffic on I-29 later this week from the Missouri state line to U.S. Highway 34 near Pacific Junction, Iowa.

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

When I'm driving 45mph behind someone's great-grandmother, I'll just keep reminding myself that the first estimate was it would be closed "at least until the end of the year".

PBJ

Sam Hall
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I saw that earlier today, but I don't think it helps by trip on Friday from KC to Lincoln. I still plan on using the route I described a few posts up. It's quirky, but it seems to have plenty of rest stops.

Bugeater
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I saw that earlier today, but I don't think it helps by trip on Friday from KC to Lincoln. I still plan on using the route I described a few posts up. It's quirky, but it seems to have plenty of rest stops.
Yep, you're still fucked because you can't cross the river to Neb City.

Bearcat
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
PBJPBJPBJPBJ

Sam Hall
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Yep, you're still ****ed because you can't cross the river to Neb City.

What I find interesting is that when I finally get on Highway 2 from 75, it's just past a Missouri River bridge that's out.

Bearcat
10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.omaha.com/article/20111007/NEWS01/710079864

Published Friday October 7, 2011
I-29 reopens Saturday morning

By Andrew J. Nelson
World-Herald staff writer

As of 10 a.m. Saturday, the trip to Kansas City from Omaha will get a whole lot easier.

That's when Interstate 29 opens between Pacific Junction, Iowa, and Rock Port, Mo. - the final stretch needed to restore a direct highway route between Omaha and Kansas City.

The Iowa transportation department asks motorists not wait at Pacific Junction on Saturday morning for the interstate to open. That could cause a troublesome traffic backup, said Dena Gray-Fisher, spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Instead, drivers who wish to use the newly opened interstate should time their travels so they arrive in the Pacific Junction area at 10 a.m. or later.

Drivers also should be prepared for delays near Hamburg, Iowa. For about two miles, traffic will be reduced to two lanes until a northbound flood-damaged bridge is repaired.

Drivers also will not be able to use exit 1 into Hamburg or the interchanges at Iowa Highway 2 near Nebraska City because of flood damage.