PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs report | Haley faces a challenge

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Chiefs report | Haley faces a challenge (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/22/3092189/chiefs-report-for-monday.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Maybe there is a way to challenge officials’ calls without burning a coach’s challenge. Coaches could simply ask the officials to huddle up and overrule a call if one of them had a better look at the play.

That’s what happened in the Chiefs’ preseason game Friday night at Baltimore when the officials conferred and overruled a sack of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and called it an incomplete pass. That spared Baltimore coach John Harbaugh from tossing his red flag on the field and challenging the original call.

Might Chiefs coach Todd Haley try that tactic sometime?

“That’s assuming they listen to you,” Haley said of the officials. “They listen to the red flag.”

At the time of the third-quarter play in question, Haley was out of challenges because he had used two, and the second challenge was unsuccessful. He was surprised at the timing of the officials’ huddle because the Ravens had already sent out their punt team.

“Generally you don’t see a huddle by the officials that late in the process,” Haley said. “I thought there was a chance (Harbaugh) could challenge it, and I saw him holding his red flag … that’s when I asked the official on our side, ‘Was this a challenge?’ And he said, ‘No they huddled …’ which I’m all for, and I believe in and think, ‘Hey guys, let’s get it right,’ and that helps the game. They got it right.”

Not entirely. The officials re-spotted the ball after the incompletion at the Baltimore 28 instead of the previous line of scrimmage, the 32.

So the Ravens still lost 4 yards on the play.

Colbert’s comeback

Veteran wide receiver Keary Colbert, who has been out of the NFL since 2008, caught two passes for 14 yards in his Chiefs debut at Baltimore.

“It was good being back out there,” said Colbert, a former second-round pick of the Carolina Panthers in 2004. “I had that itch to get back and get out there and compete and play. I decided to train and see if I could get an opportunity to earn a spot on a team, and here’s my opportunity.”

Colbert’s best NFL season was his rookie year when he caught 47 passes for 754 yards and five touchdowns with Carolina. He spent four seasons there, split 2008 with Denver, Seattle and Detroit; a season in the United Football League and served as a graduate assistant coaching tight ends last year at his alma mater, USC, where he finished his college career as the school’s all-time leader with 207 career receptions.

Colbert, 29, cited former USC wide receiver Mike Williams, now with Seattle, as an example of a player who sat out two years before resuming a productive NFL career.

“I’m still trying to get into the flow a little bit, but I’m out here competing every day, and at the end of the day, rust or not, you’ve got to make plays,” said Colbert, who is being tried as a slot receiver.

Bailey on Miami vice

Chiefs rookie defensive lineman Allen Bailey, a third-round draft pick from Miami, shed little insight on the football program that has been rocked by allegations of NCAA violations involving a booster, Nevin Shapiro.

“I really don’t know what’s going on there right now, but I still take pride in everything I did down there,” said Bailey, who has been impressive in preseason in the Chiefs’ nickel defense and on special teams.

Asked whether he had any dealings with Shapiro, Bailey said: “I was a freshman. As a freshman, you’re not paying attention … I never really saw him.”

Bailey said he was never offered anything by Shapiro.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT:

THE OFFENSE

Jamaal Charles fumbled a pitch Monday on a sweep right … Matt Cassel, from the shotgun, hit Dwayne Bowe on a deep pattern on third and long … Cassel connected with Steve Breaston inside the 12 … Terrance Copper dropped a deep corner pass from Tyler Palko … Palko hooked up twice with backup tight end Cody Slate. … A fourth-and-goal pass from Cassel went off the hands of Tony Moeaki … Ryan Succop worked on directional kickoffs inside the 10 so they would have to be returned.

THE DEFENSE
The coverage was so good on a second and 10, Cassel threw the ball into the ground in disgust. … Cornerback Travis Daniels made a diving interception of a Cassel pass intended for Bowe after tipping the ball to himself and catching it while on the ground. … Tyson Jackson batted down a pass by Cassel … Eric Berry broke up a pass for Moeaki.

INJURY REPORT
WR Jonathan Baldwin (below), C Darryl Harris, OT Ryan O’Callaghan, TE Jake O’Connell, and LBs Eric Bakhtiari and Gabe Miller did not practice. CB Brandon Flowers and OT Jared Gaither took part in practice but left for treatment.

THE DAILY BATTLE
The thumb injury to Baldwin is opening some opportunities for others, including recently signed veteran Keary Colbert, who caught two passes at Baltimore, his first two NFL receptions since 2008; Verran Tucker, who caught three; and Jeremy Horne.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The team will practice at 8:50 a.m. at the Chiefs’ practice facility. It is closed to the public.

88 Monday’s high temperature in Kansas City; today’s expected high is 93.

2-0 The Rams’ preseason record going into Friday night’s Governors’ Cup game.

0-2 The Chiefs’ preseason record.

Molitoth
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Moeaki seems to be dropping a lot of passes this camp.

Sofa King
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm fairly certain that's 2 batted passes Tyson's had this offseason already.

Best offseason EVAR!!!!11

Dartgod
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
At the time of the third-quarter play in question, Haley was out of challenges because he had used two, and the second challenge was unsuccessful.
I thought the first one was unsuccessful and the second one was overturned?

chop
08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Moeaki seems to be dropping a lot of passes this camp.

I think it just seems that way because of all of the reposts. :D

Mr. Laz
08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Countdown until Baldwin goes on PUP?

Raider
08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Does Haley ever atop whinning?

Dude always seems to have sand in his hatchet wound

Sofa King
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM

This dickbag hasn't has one good non-trolling post since he's been here.

Rasputin
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Officials had egg on there faces from being over turned from the "tuck" rule. That's why they decided to huddle up on the last one. lmao

HotRoute
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Hopefully long enough to dodge the bullets on his way out of the raiders stadium this year.

Ace Gunner
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
"The coverage was so good on a second and 10, Cassel threw the ball into the ground in disgust"

:LOL:

BossChief
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Countdown until Baldwin goes on PUP?

:facepalm:

He cant go on pup.

lcarus
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I seriously thought this article was gonna say "Haley faces challenge - Matt Cassel as his starting QB".

Lonewolf Ed
08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
This dickbag hasn't has one good non-trolling post since he's been here.

Maybe he will turn it around with his 20th post.

Or not. With a name like Raider, what is one to expect but the worst?

BossChief
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I seriously thought this article was gonna say "Haley faces challenge - Matt Cassel as his starting QB".

thats next year

Rasputin
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
What I don't understand about the "tuck" rule, shouldn't it be considered "intintional grounding"? Where are the recievers at(?) when it is considered forward motion and the ball goes to the ground in front of the QB not any where near a reciever.

threebag
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm fairly certain that's 2 batted passes Tyson's had this offseason already.

Best offseason EVAR!!!!11

I'm fucking Ty Jacked up.