PDA

View Full Version : Sporting KC The soccer revolution is being televised. Proving Sporting got it right.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
The soccer revolution is being televised, play and stadium are proving Sporting got it right

Read more: http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/soccer-revolution-being-televised-play-and-stadium-are-proving-sporting-got-it-right/#ixzz1VtOXu6hH

It’s worth noting that three months ago, before Kansas City’s professional soccer team had moved into it’s gleaming new gem of a stadium, they were in last place in their division, and looked to be about as out of it as teams can get in Major League Soccer (where 10 of 18 teams make the playoffs).

And yet today, they’re the hottest team in a highly competitive league, having lost one of their last 17 games. But this isn’t a sports post, or a sports blog.

Instead, it’s one of the reasons behind the Sporting ascent that should be talked about: Livestrong Sporting Park. Having watched this club with two other names (first the ill-fated Wiz moniker which did create a great cheer, and then the long version) and in two different homes (the cavernous Arrowhead, the inappropriate for soccer CAB) this new home isn’t just an improvement, it’s a different world. The fan experience has morphed from high school baseball game to European football match. It’s wonderfully loud and cheerful, aside from the occassional bobblehead toss, it’s a wholly positive experience.

And that’s been clearly reflected in the play of the team. The players smile, a lot, in this venue. They press relentlessly through the game, just as the fans, especially those in the ultra-cool Members Stand sing cheers relentlessly. The non-soccer fans I’ve introduced to this experience have all shared a similar reaction.

“That’s not what I was expecting.” As several have noted, “I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Simply put, right now, Sporting games are the best fan experience in Kansas City. And it’s a very good team to add to that experience.

Which, in all, is a long way of saying I was wrong to doubt the instincts of the Sporting team when they were putting their plan in motion. I mean, I still don’t understand why if the team was still called Wizards this wouldn’t work just as well, but right now there can be no doubting Robb Heineman et al got it right, and in a big way. And, in return, Kansas Citians got one of the best sport stadiums in the United States, which is to say one of the best in the world (this isn’t simple jingoism, the US has a lot of very, very nice stadiums. Other places do as well, of course, but Livestrong Sporting Park stacks up well against anyplace.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0hKUn6TTHmI/Tge9QjWDayI/AAAAAAAAAmI/Zqvs3rppweU/s1600/blue%2Bhell.jpg

vailpass
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Those neon-green uniforms with matching sockies aren't very gay looking.

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
How many spectators does that stadium hold?

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 04:15 PM
wish that was around when i was still in kansas...

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Right about 19k

|Zach|

Cool story bro.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PlJTNgrwPpY/StJtw25WmZI/AAAAAAAADIQ/aIqYurmX_Uw/s320/broncos-throwback.jpg

|Zach|

About 18k seats. You can creep up to 20k with standing room spots.

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not much a of soccer fan, but it's neat that they can fill that (if they do).

CrazyPhuD
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Pants

That's just the goalie's kit, unless you think there are 3 teams playing in that picture. :)

|Zach|
I'm not much a of soccer fan, but it's neat that they can fill that (if they do).

They do a decent job. Usually 16k or 17k.

There is a huge game against FC Dallas this coming Saturday that will be absolutely packed. Some of my friends who work for the team are being asked by the organization to give back any seats that they get for being an employee that won't be used.

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
That's just the goalie's kit, unless you think there are 3 teams playing in that picture. :)

Goalies get kits?

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Donnelly: KC's Best Pro Team Wins Again, Does It Vermes' Way

http://kcconfidential.com/full_content.php?article_id=22980&full=yes&pbr=1

Bugeater
08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Definitely not extremely flaming gay.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2dXoJ-K_TPA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM

That was community America. Those days are long gone.

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Goalies get kits?

You must have been the biggest geek growing up in England if you didn't know that.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
That was community America. Those days are long gone.

The CAB could hold like...10k or something like that. Those were dark times. lol

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
You must have been the biggest geek growing up in England if you didn't know that.

LMAO

BigChiefFan
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Cool story bro.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PlJTNgrwPpY/StJtw25WmZI/AAAAAAAADIQ/aIqYurmX_Uw/s320/broncos-throwback.jpgThat was hilarious. :D

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Donnelly: KC's Best Pro Team Wins Again, Does It Vermes' Way

http://kcconfidential.com/full_content.php?article_id=22980&full=yes&pbr=1

Cool, didn't catch that.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Back before the season started...

Sporting KC players have snowball fight with fans, buy them lunch

On Wednesday night, Sporting KC's Kei Kamara tweeted an open call to join him for a snowball fight at noon the next day. On Thursday, #SpecialKCSnowmageddon went off as scheduled, supported by the club and streamed live on the Internet by a local marketing firm.

Joining Sierre Leone native Kamara were teammates Jon Kempin, Matt Besler and Michael Harrington and a couple dozen fans (it was a workday, after all). Here's a look at what happened...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tf1zuOyuJfI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After everyone was sufficiently frozen and the last accusation of packing ice in the snowballs was made, Kamara treated everyone to lunch at Chipotle. Yes, professional footballers not only had a super fun snowball fight with fans, but they even paid for everyone's lunch afterwards. Is this real life? I'm honestly not sure. But if beating Manchester United last summer wasn't enough to give you a soft spot for Sporting KC (whatever your feelings may be on that new name), this should do it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184043_915963200584_34305085_42479218_176001_n.jpg

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
LMAO

Classmate: OY! DONGER, Ol' CHAP, LESS GO PLAY A WEE BIT O FOOTBALL, MATE! WE NEED ONE MORE!

Donger: Football? Ewww, I don't like that! I would much rather head home and read a book instead!

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Classmate: OY DONGER Ol' CHAP, LESS GO PLAY A WEE BIT O FOOTBALL, MATE! WE NEED ONE MORE!

Donger: Football? Ewww, I don't like that! I'm going to head home and read a book instead!

Sorry. For this to be authentic Donger it would have to be in the form of a vague question.

:D

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Classmate: OY! DONGER, Ol' CHAP, LESS GO PLAY A WEE BIT O FOOTBALL, MATE! WE NEED ONE MORE!

Donger: Football? Ewww, I don't like that! I would much rather head home and read a book instead!

No, I was usually stuck playing goalie. But I typically read a book during the match.

I wasn't very good.

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-23-2011, 04:38 PM
The CAB could hold like...10k or something like that. Those were dark times. lol

I was talking like actually 16. not 16k. :D

Yes those were dark... very dark...

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I was talking like actually 16. not 16k. :D

Yes those were dark... very dark...

Ah hahahaha.

I will say this. They did the best with what they had to work with.

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:42 PM
No, I was usually stuck playing goalie. But I typically read a book during the match.

I wasn't very good.

Oh ok.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Dont get all the Soccer hate? Sounds like Sporting KC is doing everything right. Hopefully KC fully embraces what they have.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I only support them because the stadium looks cool but I promise you most of the people are only going out there because they are winning.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Dont get all the Soccer hate? Sounds like Sporting KC is doing everything right. Hopefully KC fully embraces what they have.

I get it. It is different. I am not one of those D-Bag "you are stupid because you don't get soccer" guys trying to force it down people's throats.

I just think people should give it a shot. It is an amazing facility. A good team. A great organization and an awesome game day experience.

It has made me literally forget the Royals even exist.

Even though football and the Chiefs are absolutely my first love playing the game I love the most this organization is a fresh breath of air in contrast to NFL and MLB owners and players who get more out of touch with normal fans with each passing year.

The idea that the game is only exciting when someone scores is disingenuous and over simplifies what is simply an amazing game.

Are all games good? Absolutely not. But I think in that regard it is in line with other sports.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I only support them because the stadium looks cool but I promise you most of the people are only going out there because they are winning.

Sounds like sports.

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Sounds like sports.

LMAO

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I get it. It is different. I am not one of those D-Bag "you are stupid because you don't get soccer" guys trying to force it down people's throats.

I just think people should give it a shot. It is an amazing facility. A good team. A great organization and an awesome game day experience.

It has made me literally forget the Royals even exist.

Even though football and the Chiefs are absolutely my first love playing the game I love the most this organization is a fresh breath of air in contrast to NFL and MLB owners and players who get more out of touch with normal fans with each passing year.

The idea that the game is only exciting when someone scores is disingenuous and over simplifies what is simply an amazing game.

Are all games good? Absolutely not. But I think in that regard it is in line with other sports.

And the acting's great, too.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I promise you most of the people are only going out there because they are winning.

Well yea, most cities usually only support winning sports teams. Thats nothing unusual.

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Smart phone fight!

LMAO

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:50 PM
And the acting's great, too.

Heh, I appreciate the MLS and American soccer for keeping that problem to a minimum. It does happen however when it does that player is absolutely ridiculed through the league enough that I think it is a decent deterrent to play in that kind of embarrassing manner.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Sounds like sports.

Niche sport.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Well yea, most cities usually only support winning sports teams. Thats nothing unusual.

oh yea, didnt the Wizards win a championship or were really good in the early 2000's? How did they draw back then compared to now?

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Niche sport.

Baseball a niche sport?

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Niche sport.

Possibly. Of course I think the same of hockey.

I also think the the ascending nature of the MLS is pretty incredible in these economic times.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Baseball a niche sport?

Baseball isn't a sport.

Soccer is but it's just a niche one.

Once real football starts here in 2 weeks nobody will give a fuck about soccer. It's just how it is.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
oh yea, didnt the Wizards win a championship or were really good in the early 2000's? How did they draw back then compared to now?

They won it all in 2000.

They didn't draw that well. That was when they were in Arrowhead and owned by the Hunt Sports group. Of course the league as a whole is in a lot better place than it was then.

9k in the regular season. 8k in the playoffs.

Pants
08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Baseball isn't a sport.

Soccer is but it's just a niche one.

Once real football starts here in 2 weeks nobody will give a **** about soccer. It's just how it is.

Baseball isn't a sport? Can you throw a baseball at 95mph? Can you hit one? GTFO with your idiotic definitions.

Donger
08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Baseball isn't a sport.

You just called it a sport.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Once real football starts here in 2 weeks nobody will give a **** about soccer. It's just how it is.

You're wrong.

There are not as many hybrid MLS\NFL fans as I thought. It surprised me. Do their numbers take a hit? Yea...a little. But it isn't devastating. You will see...people are going to keep pouring into LSP for this playoff bound squad.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Baseball isn't a sport? Can you throw a baseball at 95mph? Can you hit one? GTFO with your idiotic definitions.

Pants is off his antidepressants again.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Of course the league as a whole is in a lot better place than it was then.

I remember when MLS started up in the mid 90's i think? I honestly thought they would fold after 5 years or so. Im not a huge Soccer fan, but color me impressed with how far they have come.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
You're wrong.

There are not as many hybrid MLS\NFL fans as I thought. It surprised me. Do their numbers take a hit? Yea...a little. But it isn't devastating. You will see...people are going to keep pouring into LSP for this playoff bound squad.

It will be very interesting to see. I recall the MLS championship got very low TV ratings last year why do you think that is for a growing sport?

Pants
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Pants is off his antidepressants again.

kewl

So, yeah, baseball is not a sport?

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
It will be very interesting to see. I recall the MLS championship got very low TV ratings last year why do you think that is for a growing sport?

The MLS title game has been interesting. They haven't found a great mix for it as far as place and time. I think they have a lot to do to build and market it better for TV viewing audiences. A lot of the focus has been on in game improvement, stadium construction, and expansion.

They just inked a new deal with NBC Sports to bring more MLS games to more viewers.

There is a lot of work to do. This is a league that started in 1996. However this is a growing sport and league by any metric you choose.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm not a soccer fan but I'd go see a game at Livestrong Park. Hipster name aside that place looks amazing. I went to 1 Wizards game at Arrowhead it sucked the setting wasn't very intimate. Livestrong looks like you're right on the action.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I remember when MLS started up in the mid 90's i think? I honestly thought they would fold after 5 years or so. Im not a huge Soccer fan, but color me impressed with how far they have come.

1996. I never got into soccer at all until the early 2000s. And this past 5 or so years it has grown. These past 2 years I kicked the Royals (baseball) out and replaced them with Sporting.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
kewl

So, yeah, baseball is not a sport?

Baseball is a sport for the Amish with it's 200 year old rules and it's bullshit unwritten rules. They shouldn't allow guys to get Tommy John's surgery because baseball players in the 1800's didn't.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
These past 2 years I kicked the Royals (baseball) out and replaced them with Sporting.

Ill say this, id rather spend my hard earned money on Sporting KC than the Royals at this point in time.

Pants
08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Baseball is a sport for the Amish with it's 200 year old rules and it's bullshit unwritten rules. They shouldn't allow guys to get Tommy John's surgery because baseball players in the 1800's didn't.

Oh ok.

They also shouldn't let football players wear plastic helmets and pads because guys in 1800's didn't.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm not a soccer fan but I'd go see a game at Livestrong Park. Hipster name aside that place looks amazing. I went to 1 Wizards game at Arrowhead it sucked the setting wasn't very intimate. Livestrong looks like you're right on the action.

This is a decent clip I did of the experience. It is a little strange because it is a USA game. Which always brings in an interesting mix of people. The member stands folks are rowdy but overall it is a laid back casual crew.

This is funny though because of me running my mouth about how I don't see them attacking. And then boom. There is a goal.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9P9LciE1MhA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The worst seat you can have (without being in one of the premium suites or the press box) are about as far away from the field as where the lower level seats are at arrowhead where the over hang starts. Your worst seat is a kick ass seat.

evenfall
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
It could be called "gridiron", which is how it is referred to elsewhere anyway.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
It could be called "gridiron", which is how it is referred to elsewhere anyway.

The stadium?

Where is it referred to as gridiron?

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh ok.

They also shouldn't let football players wear plastic helmets and pads because guys in 1800's didn't.

Yea comparison fail. The NFL has changed it's rules throughout time and they don't have the pussy unwritten rules like baseball.

Titty Meat
This is a decent clip I did of the experience. It is a little strange because it is a USA game. Which always brings in an interesting mix of people. The member stands folks are rowdy but overall it is a laid back casual crew.

This is funny though because of me running my mouth about how I don't see them attacking. And then boom. There is a goal.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9P9LciE1MhA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The worst seat you can have (without being in one of the premium suites or the press box) are about as far away from the field as where the lower level seats are at arrowhead where the over hang starts. Your worst seat is a kick ass seat.

That was pretty cool.

Demonpenz
Soccer is going to be really fun once the nba is striking

Pants
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Yea comparison fail. The NFL has changed it's rules throughout time and they don't have the pussy unwritten rules like baseball.

Comparison fail because your argument is terrible. You're saying that treating injuries using modern medicine should be prohibited (since it affects pitchers' stats I assume?) and since it's not, it's not a sport? Or is it not a sport because it has unwritten rules?

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
That was pretty cool.

This is sort of cool as well.

This is after a game from the Members Club which is basically a huge sports bar that only the people with the cheap seats can be in until the end of the game where they have games on (baseball, soccer, NFL, whatever is on) everywhere. Full bar to enjoy post game.

Also when the team is playing away games they open it up for watch parties. Hot dog and chips or a burgers for under 4 bucks.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fK-LzYIV7TM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the blatant sales pitching but what can I say I am an all in with this team.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I just found my new Avatar. : )

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
It was fun chanting "We never lose at home" until we lost at home.

Damn that Seattle stoppage time collapse.

That was the worst thing ever.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I just found my new Avatar. : )

Caption:

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Comparison fail because your argument is terrible. You're saying that treating injuries using modern medicine should be prohibited (since it affects pitchers' stats I assume?) and since it's not, it's not a sport? Or is it not a sport because it has unwritten rules?

No my point is baseball is a lame ass sport that's outdated. FFS they didn't even start using replay til a year ago. Half the teams have no chance at winning it all. I prefer soccer over baseball. Atleast soccer provides entertainment.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
No my point is baseball is a lame ass sport that's outdated. FFS they didn't even start using replay til a year ago. Half the teams have no chance at winning it all. I prefer soccer over baseball. Atleast soccer provides entertainment.

That is my thing about the Royals. Even though the Royals are silly and they lose games that doesn't bother me as much as the game of baseball and the MLB itself.

Deberg_1990
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM

I still love the sport of baseball. Im beginning to hate MLB for all the reasons you just stated.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
This is sort of cool as well.

This is after a game from the Members Club which is basically a huge sports bar that only the people with the cheap seats can be in until the end of the game where they have games on (baseball, soccer, NFL, whatever is on) everywhere. Full bar to enjoy post game.

Also when the team is playing away games they open it up for watch parties. Hot dog and chips or a burgers for under 4 bucks.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fK-LzYIV7TM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the blatant sales pitching but what can I say I am an all in with this team.

That is real cool and a great idea. It also helps that Sporting is in a great location with tons of shit to do. Honestly one of the best planned things in the whole metro.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
That is real cool and a great idea. It also helps that Sporting is in a great location with tons of shit to do. Honestly one of the best planned things in the whole metro.

Kansas City, MO dropped the ball by not having their shit together to have this team on the MO side.

Interestingly enough if the KCK site they ended up making their home would have fallen through I am told they would have tried to make this all happen in around Columbus Park. East of the River Market just North of downtown. That would have been incredible.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I still love the sport of baseball. Im beginning to hate MLB for all the reasons you just stated.

It's why I turned away from the sport a few years ago. That plus David Glass and the Royals. I came to this conclusion a few years ago when attending an open practice and they brought out Royals greats which included Sean Sedlacek. It's just not interesting at all.

I'll admit though this thread/conversation/and videos has really sparked my interest about Sporting. Would love to have another local team to follow.

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Kansas City, MO dropped the ball by not having their shit together to have this team on the MO side.

Interestingly enough if the KCK site they ended up making their home would have fallen through I am told they would have tried to make this all happen in around Columbus Park. East of the River Market just North of downtown. That would have been incredible.

That would have been a cool location. I love me some KC I really wish they would have turned PNL into what what they have out there in KCK with the stadium. This is great though for my family from Nebraska. We can go shopping at NFM, eat some great BBQ at Bryants, gamble at the new casino and then hit up Livestrong Park. It's something you literally make a whole day out of.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:33 PM
That would have been a cool location. I love me some KC I really wish they would have turned PNL into what what they have out there in KCK with the stadium. This is great though for my family from Nebraska. We can go shopping at NFM, eat some great BBQ at Bryants, gamble at the new casino and then hit up Livestrong Park. It's something you literally make a whole day out of.

How does that Bryants compare to the Brooklyn location?

Titty Meat
08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Honestly you're asking the wrong guy because I've eaten at a few of the different locations and to me it's all the same: Shit ton of meat that the bread can't handle, so many fries it can't all fit on the plate, excellent tasting, and me being so full I feel like i'm gonna puke. Gaaah they need to move to JOCO ASAP!

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Honestly you're asking the wrong guy because I've eaten at a few of the different locations and to me it's all the same: Shit ton of meat that the bread can't handle, so many fries it can't all fit on the plate, excellent tasting, and me being so full I feel like i'm gonna puke. Gaaah they need to move to JOCO ASAP!

I love AB's but have only done the original. I need to give the Legends one a try.

Bearcat
08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
The fan experience has morphed from high school baseball game to European football match.

That's funny considering the owners made a big deal about the name change not being a copy of European soccer.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if I'll ever be much of a soccer fan, but it's a cool story. I've heard nothing but good things about the stadium... I need to check it out sometime.

Demonpenz
08-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I was out at legends today, they have every damn store that you would need

BWillie
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I am absolutely sickened that that euro league soccer crap is on ESPN now. Not just the world teams, that Manchester Gaynited and all of that. What is this country coming too. They took 'R jobs! Took arb jerbs. TikRjerbs! okarbs!

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Manchester United spanked the Sounders so hard 7-0

Sporting (then Wizards this was just before the change) beat them 2-1 at Arrowhead last summer. Even with being a man down more than half the game.

The first sports event in Arrowhead Stadium. :D

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/39LdRFf1Kb8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJay23
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
LSP really accelerated my soccer fandom. I had always been a fan of KC and Bayern Munchen (my dad is Bavarian) from afar. Last year after the World Cup I followed FC Bayern more closely and this summer when they televised the first match at LSP I became more interested in SKC. Then my family came back to Kansas this summer and we attended that same USA-Guadaloupe match that Zach posted the video for. Now I watch random games on TV, follow every SKC match online whether through matchcenter or a stream, and listen to every FC Bayern game online, usually in German. All because of how impressed I was with LSP. It's that cool.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
LSP really accelerated my soccer fandom. I had always been a fan of KC and Bayern Munchen (my dad is Bavarian) from afar. Last year after the World Cup I followed FC Bayern more closely and this summer when they televised the first match at LSP I became more interested in SKC. Then my family came back to Kansas this summer and we attended that same USA-Guadaloupe match that Zach posted the video for. Now I watch random games on TV, follow every SKC match online whether through matchcenter or a stream, and listen to every FC Bayern game online, usually in German. All because of how impressed I was with LSP. It's that cool.

That is a common type of story.

Nobody really wakes up and starts loving this shit out of the blue.

Very cool.

Bearcat
08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Sporting (then Wizards this was just before the change) beat them 2-1 at Arrowhead last summer. Even with being a man down more than half the game.

Wasn't it the 'B' team?

It was a good time.

|Zach|
08-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Wasn't it the 'B' team?

It was a good time.

It was a mix. Not really a true B team but not their full throttle team.

Reaper16
08-23-2011, 06:52 PM
That's how KC sports fans are. We're not that great of a fanbase, as a whole.

CHENZ A!
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Hey, I'm in that video.... I'm famous!

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2011, 02:30 AM
hello slightly musty thread how are you

Even in MLS circles, people were skeptical of the entire Sporting KC plan aside from the "build a crazy nice stadium to outclass Red Bull Arena" part of it (which is a really sweet idea, but even then, why are you doing that in Kansas? How's that gonna work?). How little we knew. I thought the name and crest were ridiculous, but now? I cannot imagine the Kansas City Wizards playing in Livestrong Wizards Park. It's an absurd visual.

The coolest thing about having been an MLS fan since 2003 is that I've gotten to see the league go from cringe-inducingly amateurish a depressing amount of the time to holy shit incredible as an experience surprisingly often. There have been so many impressive goals and games and crowds and stadium openings in the past two years alone. Almost every weekend I see a match that's as exciting -- and ridiculous, as MLS is wont to be -- as anything else any other league in any sport can offer that given week.

The level of play is rising to meet the ascendancy of other facets of the league (omg we're starting to compete with and defeat Mexican teams in the CCL), and youth development has gone berserk. Plus the league just signed an honest-to-god grown up television deal that pays them vastly more than they've ever received for broadcast rights and doubles the coverage of the package they're replacing. It's an amazing progression that I thought would take decades to come about.

Versus/NBC Sports also reaches more homes than Fox Soccer, increased the NHL's numbers when they picked up that license, and somehow gets >1.0 ratings for professional bullriding.

|Zach|
08-26-2011, 04:18 AM
hello slightly musty thread how are you

Even in MLS circles, people were skeptical of the entire Sporting KC plan aside from the "build a crazy nice stadium to outclass Red Bull Arena" part of it (which is a really sweet idea, but even then, why are you doing that in Kansas? How's that gonna work?). How little we knew. I thought the name and crest were ridiculous, but now? I cannot imagine the Kansas City Wizards playing in Livestrong Wizards Park. It's an absurd visual.

The coolest thing about having been an MLS fan since 2003 is that I've gotten to see the league go from cringe-inducingly amateurish a depressing amount of the time to holy shit incredible as an experience surprisingly often. There have been so many impressive goals and games and crowds and stadium openings in the past two years alone. Almost every weekend I see a match that's as exciting -- and ridiculous, as MLS is wont to be -- as anything else any other league in any sport can offer that given week.

The level of play is rising to meet the ascendancy of other facets of the league (omg we're starting to compete with and defeat Mexican teams in the CCL), and youth development has gone berserk. Plus the league just signed an honest-to-god grown up television deal that pays them vastly more than they've ever received for broadcast rights and doubles the coverage of the package they're replacing. It's an amazing progression that I thought would take decades to come about.

Versus/NBC Sports also reaches more homes than Fox Soccer, increased the NHL's numbers when they picked up that license, and somehow gets >1.0 ratings for professional bullriding.
San Jose fan right?

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-26-2011, 05:56 AM
I`m a big soccer fan. Glad to see the game taking off here in the U.S.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-26-2011, 06:04 AM
They do a decent job. Usually 16k or 17k.

There is a huge game against FC Dallas this coming Saturday that will be absolutely packed. Some of my friends who work for the team are being asked by the organization to give back any seats that they get for being an employee that won't be used.

Why is the FC Dallas match such a huge game for Sporting KC?

I was at the FC Dallas/SKC match in Frisco and there didn't seem to be any special rivalry to it. It's not like they're in the same division.

|Zach|
08-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Why is the FC Dallas match such a huge game for Sporting KC?

I was at the FC Dallas/SKC match in Frisco and there didn't seem to be any special rivalry to it. It's not like they're in the same division.

It isn't really a rivalry at all. I think it is more so the timing. Dallas is a very good team. They are in 3rd place in the much stronger Western Conference.

- SKC needs to keep winning games. The difference between 2nd place and 6th place in our conference is too close for comfort.

- This is a high point in momentum for SKC fans...the last game was sort of a weak draw at the stadium with it being a Sunday night and the start of school. They also haven't played since last Saturday.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I also heartily encourage getting out to see Sporting play FC Dallas because Dallas is a tremendous team and the game itself should be really interesting. Brek Shea is one of the most promising prospects to come through MLS/the US national team in a loong time, and he's unbelievably fun to watch.

They also just sold defender George John to Blackburn, so KC gets to try to take advantage of Dallas' adjustment to its new-look back line.

San Jose fan right?San Jose and New England are my main rooting interests. Quakes because I loved the way they played when I was trying to find a team to identify with early on, and I started caring about the Revs this year because they're local now and I want them to do well. So far both clubs combined have less points (48) than LA (51), and both are among the worst stadium/support situations in the league. :deevee:

New stadium for the Quakes in a year or two, at least. No idea when that'll ever happen for the Revs (KRAAAAAFT :mad:).

|Zach|
08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I also heartily encourage getting out to see Sporting play FC Dallas because Dallas is a tremendous team and the game itself should be really interesting. Brek Shea is one of the most promising prospects to come through MLS/the US national team in a loong time, and he's unbelievably fun to watch.

They also just sold defender George John to Blackburn, so KC gets to try to take advantage of Dallas' adjustment to its new-look back line.

San Jose and New England are my main rooting interests. Quakes because I loved the way they played when I was trying to find a team to identify with early on, and I started caring about the Revs this year because they're local now and I want them to do well. So far both clubs combined have less points (48) than LA (51), and both are among the worst stadium/support situations in the league. :deevee:

New stadium for the Quakes in a year or two, at least. No idea when that'll ever happen for the Revs (KRAAAAAFT :mad:).

As far as the Revs go I like Shalrie Joseph a whole lot. I actually ran into him downtown when NE came to Kansas City. Real nice guy. We talked about how well I thought he did in the All Star game.

I have no qualms with SJ overall but there is just one player. I dislike Lenhart so much. I just want to bunch that goofy bastard in his goofy bastard face.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Although Jack Stewart played well on Wednesday morning, Dallas will miss John. He's been excellent on the back line.

I'm excited to see the team play when Ferreira comes back in a couple of weeks.

|Zach|
08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Although Jack Stewart played well on Wednesday morning, Dallas will miss John. He's been excellent on the back line.

I'm excited to see the team play when Ferreira comes back in a couple of weeks.

Dallas was already playing with little rest and then their game got moved back one day. That is a tough draw for them coming into KC.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
As far as the Revs go I like Shalrie Joseph a whole lot. I actually ran into him downtown when NE came to Kansas City. Real nice guy. We talked about how well I thought he did in the All Star game.

I have no qualms with SJ overall but there is just one player. I dislike Lenhart so much. I just want to bunch that goofy bastard in his goofy bastard face.Shalrie is absolutely awesome. I wish I could get high with him someday. Too bad he got cap-tied to Grenada when he was plying his trade in the PDL, or he'd have probably played a role in some crucial USMNT games (it might have been nice to have him instead of Rico Clark in that Ghana match).

And I was insanely dubious of Lenhart but I cannot argue with his production (god, have the Quakes ever missed him of late). Respect the Ross Fro.

I'm excited to see the team play when Ferreira comes back in a couple of weeks.It's seriously amazing that they've played so well without their best player. Dallas was absolutely trashed for their moves this offseason and they're playing arguably the best soccer in the league -- and in the CCL, obviously!

Fansy the Famous Bard
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Brek is their best player. Ther is no arguing against that.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I was hesitant to really write "best player" because of Brek, but regardless, we're talking about being third in the table and in excellent form despite losing last season's MVP in April. So impressive.

Valiant
08-26-2011, 02:47 PM
That's how KC sports fans are. We're not that great of a fanbase, as a whole.

For the most part yes. The soccer houligans no. They will buy their season passes. It won't take much to be near capacity even if they lose just because of the owner.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Brek is their best player. Ther is no arguing against that.

Well, Ferreira was the MVP of the league last year.

---
- - CFoD -

|Zach|
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I would set a bus of nuns on fire if it meant Robb owned the Chiefs.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rPiyXH43MXU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
The soccer revolution will take 50 years to resolve and there'll only be two battles during that time.

Trevo_410
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Football(american), basketball, and baseball will always be a step ahead of soccer no matter what. However it is growing, and that means we'll gradually start competing alot better worldwide with more and more people and talent interested.

|Zach|
11-01-2011, 10:56 PM
The soccer revolution will take 50 years to resolve and there'll only be two battles during that time.

I spent some time in your city this past weekend to catch a match.

Rain Man
11-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I spent some time in your city this past weekend to catch a match.

What? Were you at the big field in Commerce City?

|Zach|
11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
What? Were you at the big field in Commerce City?

Yup Commerce City. I was going to hit you up and DaFace as well to throw out the possibility of a lunch on Monday but then realizing I was driving there Sunday and coming back Monday I figure I would wanna start early on my trip.

Good times overall though.

http://zacharycobb.com/index.php/2011/11/01/following-sporting-kansas-city-to-colorado/

Silock
11-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Football(american), basketball, and baseball will always be a step ahead of soccer no matter what. However it is growing, and that means we'll gradually start competing alot better worldwide with more and more people and talent interested.

I don't know that's true about baseball.