PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli reveals why we didn't sign Franklin.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Season-Ticket-Holders-Connect-With-Chiefs-Executives-In-Open-QA/afbbb9d5-d08f-40f0-bcef-cabdac0e8ee2

“Situationally, we focus on players that fit our type of system and we play a two-gap system (at nose tackle),” Pioli explained to season ticket holders. “Systematically, Aubrayo Franklin has spent his career in a one-gap system.

“Sometimes, taking a player and trying to fit them into something that they’ve never done in a system that they’re not used to…we felt there were some other players that had some background in our system that would be a better fit for us.”

The Chiefs found a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle in former Baltimore Raven Kelly Gregg. He’s worked with the first-team defense from the moment he strapped on a Chiefs helmet. Working behind Gregg with the second-team defense has been rookie Jerrell Powe.

“Aubrayo Franklin is a good football player, but he didn’t necessarily fit what we were trying to do from a scheming standpoint,” Pioli said.

kcxiv
08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
what, he gave out information? say it isnt SOOOO lol

Dante84
08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you for throwing us a bone, Mr. P-Poparoni

Direckshun
08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Let me just say one thing, and it's that I've been completely wrong about Kelly Gregg so far, which really just spans one half of a preseason game.

I didn't like the signing, I thought his play was largely fluffed up due to playing alongside Ngata and having Lewis behind him.

But I've watched the Ravens game a half dozen times now, and he is all over the field. He refuses to let blockers through, he just swallows them up, and while he isn't particularly mobile, he shows a willingness to get out to the edges that Powe is clearly picking up on.

Great pickup. Sad that he's 35, would have liked to have him around longer. I hope he lasts all season.

BigRock
08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
The Chiefs are going from a last-place schedule to a first-place schedule in 2011; literally.

With a schedule that features six playoff teams from last season and all four conference finalists, we’ll find out a lot about the overall state of this football program throughout the year. Both Hunt and Pioli agree.

“It’s one of the most challenging schedules in the league, but if you want to go where we want to go – which is to the Super Bowl – you have to be able to beat those teams,” Hunt said. “We’re going to find out early and often whether we’re capable of doing that and that’s ok with me.”

Pioli added, “There’s the saying that if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. So, here we go…”

Then Scott said "SIT DOWN, FAT BOY" and whooooo'd.

Bump
08-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Let me just say one thing, and it's that I've been completely wrong about Kelly Gregg so far, which really just spans one half of a preseason game.

I didn't like the signing, I thought his play was largely fluffed up due to playing alongside Ngata and having Lewis behind him.

But I've watched the Ravens game a half dozen times now, and he is all over the field. He refuses to let blockers through, he just swallows them up, and while he isn't particularly mobile, he shows a willingness to get out to the edges that Powe is clearly picking up on.

Great pickup. Sad that he's 35, would have liked to have him around longer. I hope he lasts all season.

:clap:

chiefzilla1501
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Gregg was a stud well before they had Ngata. He's a terrific player. I'll just be curious to see how much gas is left in the tank.

BigMeatballDave
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Didn't Ted Washington play until he was 38?

BossChief
08-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Keith Traylor played till he was 38 ....Sometimes those big boys play forever.

Reaper16
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, duh.

NJChiefsFan
08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Gregg was a stud well before they had Ngata. He's a terrific player. I'll just be curious to see how much gas is left in the tank.

The better a guy like Powe plays the less they have to play Gregg and the better he is down the stretch.

RippedmyFlesh
08-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Keith Traylor played till he was 38 ....Sometimes those big boys play forever.

I think age has less of an affect on NT than any other position.
Most other positions lose a step and that is the difference between being good or being done.
It's more how long their body can take the abuse.
And luck from an injury stand point.

-King-
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Liar. He was just being cheap and sitting on his hands.