PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gabe miller on IR per gretz

ShowtimeSBMVP
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Gabe Miller
Injury has him headed for IR

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/pre-season-rankings-%e2%80%93-week-3.html

milkman
08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Good.

I liked what I saw from him in the first preseason game.

This will give him the chance next preseason to show up.

keg in kc
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice little write-up. One thing that stands out is how much perception changes reality for Baldwin:5. Jonathan Baldwin Disappointment before injuryMaybe I missed something, but I don't remember anyone expressing any disappointment about Baldwin before last Thursday.

keg in kc
08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
I liked seeing "Working hard with new $$" for DJ. I wasn't concerned about it with Hali, although it's nice to see it there, too. Linebackers look pretty strong if everybody stays healthy.

I really like that so many DBs are having a strong camp in his eyes as well.

And the d-line for that matter. And that's shown up on the field already I've thought.

Wish the offense looked (sounded) like it was doing better, but that doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure why, but we always seem to be a slow building offensive team in camp, regardless of who the staff is.

KCrockaholic
08-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Wasn't a big fan of the pick. He was our official "WTF" pick.

wazu
08-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice little write-up. One thing that stands out is how much perception changes reality for Baldwin:Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember anyone expressing any disappointment about Baldwin before last Thursday.

I actually do, but he was a rookie who had been practicing for about a week, so it sounded kind of silly.

Rasputin
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
No way should Powe be ranked so low. I wouldn't put him on the bubble spot.

keg in kc
08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I actually do, but he was a rookie who had been practicing for about a week, so it sounded kind of silly.Yeah, like I said, it's possible I missed something. I haven't followed camp religiously this year. But insofar as I had been paying attention, it seemed like the word on Baldwin until the "incident" was that he was working hard and doing the things he was supposed to do. And then seemingly overnight he's a diva and doesn't want to work on routes and press coverage and a problem in the locker room. It was very bizarre.

Of course, if there were problems, they'd have kept them in "the family" and worked them out behind closed doors, the way it happens basically 99.9% of the time. But once there's an injury, things change.

Hammock Parties
08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
yeah, I'm sure he's hurt.

I love how the Chiefs use IR like another practice squad. LMAO

KCrockaholic
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
No way should Powe be ranked so low. I wouldn't put him on the bubble spot.

I'd move Bailey down a bit, under T Jack. And move Powe above Bair.

BigMeatballDave
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. They like the kid, but he's not quite ready. Why risk losing him? I'm sure the Chiefs aren't the only team that does this.

wazu
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah, like I said, it's possible I missed something. I haven't followed camp religiously this year. But insofar as I had been paying attention, it seemed like the word on Baldwin until the "incident" was that he was a working hard and doing the things he was supposed to do. And then seemingly overnight he's a diva and doesn't want to work on routes and press coverage and a problem in the locker room. It was very bizarre.

Of course, if there were problems, they'd have kept them in "the family" and worked them out behind closed doors, the way it happens basically 99.9% of the time. But once there's an injury, things change.

Don't remember hearing anything about his work ethic. Just radio guys talking about him struggling in camp and looking very raw. Once the fight happened the whole "bad character" narrative blew up.

milkman
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
There's a lot that Gretz says that I don't agree with, but I only have the perspective of two preseason games, while he's seeing every practice.

KCrockaholic
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
The problem with him going on IR is that he can't practice now. So if they are using IR as a way to keep Miller, then IDK, I don't get it.

Hammock Parties
08-25-2011, 10:07 PM
The problem with him going on IR is that he can't practice now. So if they are using IR as a way to keep Miller, then IDK, I don't get it.

He doesn't need to practice. He's not playing.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
The Broncos put Josh Barrett on IR last year and the Patriots claimed him.

milkman
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM

No they didn't.

KCrockaholic
08-25-2011, 10:11 PM
He doesn't need to practice. He's not playing.

How does a guy improve on field then?

KCrockaholic
08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
On August 5, 2010, Barrett was waived/injured by the Broncos with a shoulder injury. If he had cleared waivers, Barrett would have reverted to the Broncos' injured reserve list. However, he was claimed by the New England Patriots on August 6. He was placed on injured reserve on August 31, the first day the team could do so without exposing him to waivers.

Knowmo so dumb.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
No they didn't.
This year, Josh Barrett was injured during the Denver Broncos training camp and placed on injured reserve. Or so he thought! New England Patriots head coach, Bill Belichick, grabbed Barrett during the waivers process. There is some speculation as to why Belichick made this move,http://www.broncosnews.com/a-conversation-with-josh-barrett/

milkman
08-25-2011, 10:15 PM
http://www.broncosnews.com/a-conversation-with-josh-barrett/

Look at the post before yours.

The Donkeys fucked up.

keg in kc
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
There's a lot that Gretz says that I don't agree with, but I only have the perspective of two preseason games, while he's seeing every practice.Care to clarify? Just curious...

Quesadilla Joe
Look at the post before yours.

The Donkeys ****ed up.

The Chiefs just did the same thing the Broncos did that is why I brought it up....

HemiEd

LMAO, any idea what the R means in IR?

mcaj22
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
where in the blue hell does it say that the Chiefs WAIVED injured Gabe Miller exactly? Because I don't see it

and that means the Chiefs did NOT do the same thing as the idiot Donks

milkman
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Care to clarify? Just curious...

I'd have to go back and look at his blog again, but just off the top, I have been impressed with Powe and Gordon on the line, and would have the arrow up.

I have also been fairly happy with the progress that Belcher has shown, both in run defense and pass defense from last year, so his arrow would be up.

I would have Albert's arrow at steady.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
where in the blue hell does it say that the Chiefs WAIVED injured Gabe Miller exactly? Because I don't see it

and that means the Chiefs did NOT do the same thing as the idiot Donks

I don't know who the hell Gabe Miller is or when he was injured I am just assuming the injury happened recently and I assume that he would have to clear waivers just like Josh Barrett did before he hits IR.

Direckshun
08-25-2011, 10:24 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Reminds me of Colin Brown.

mcaj22
08-25-2011, 10:25 PM
lol you dont have to clear waivers to be put on injured reserve.

the Donks CUT Barrett while he was being put on IR, thus giving any team a chance to pick up his contract even though he was on IR.

milkman
08-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know who the hell Gabe Miller is or when he was injured I am just assuming the injury happened recently and I assume that he would have to clear waivers just like Josh Barrett did before he hits IR.

He said that Miller would be headed to IR.

He didn't say the Chiefs have made any move yet.

kysirsoze
08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
WTF Powe??? I know the fanbase can be pretty out of touch with reality when it comes to camp performance, but is there really a chance Powe doesn't make the roster?

HemiEd
08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
knowmo doesn't know the difference between IR and the practice squad it would seem.

Quesadilla Joe
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM

According to King's post you do if you don't wait until Aug 31st.

booger
08-25-2011, 10:33 PM

There's a difference between injured reserve and waived/injured designations

Direckshun
08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Basically, this is just Colin Brown version 2.0.

Pioli is being told the guy is behind four other OLBs, maybe five with Bakhtiari's strong preseason performances, and Pioli doesn't think the guy can last through waivers.

booger
08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Last year Cottam was still recovering form his neck injury. Get's waived/injured before camp and of course no one claims him because it was a very serious injury. You don't claim the player so to speak, you actually claim the player's contract. He either shows up or he doesn't. So anyway, Cottam doesn't get claimed and clears waivers and automatically goes to IR. That whole process likely was the result of him failing his physical. This year he fails his physical and they just don't offer him a tender as a RFA.

Sheffield get's injured last year and they wait until the final cutdown and just send him directly to IR.

Frosty
08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Basically, this is just Colin Brown version 2.0.

Pioli is being told the guy is behind four other OLBs, maybe five with Bakhtiari's strong preseason performances, and Pioli doesn't think the guy can last through waivers.

Gabe is learning a new position (played TE and then DE in college) and had no off-season. It would make sense to bring him along slowly since OLB is turning out to be a position that has a lot of players with potential.

booger
08-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Gabe is learning a new position (played TE and then DE in college) and had no off-season. It would make sense to bring him along slowly since OLB is turning out to be a position that has a lot of players with potential.

Seemed like he really wasn't being talked about too much pre draft until he had himself a really good pro day. Looks like he's got some speed and athleticism to him.

Direckshun
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM

I'm not disagreeing with the move, necessarily. Just calling it for what it is.

Pioli's been told he won't make the 53, but he doesn't think Miller can make it to the practice squad, or stay there.

So he's bypassing waivers and slapping the IR label on Miller.

Just Passin' By
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM

the Donks CUT Barrett while he was being put on IR, thus giving any team a chance to pick up his contract even though he was on IR.

Prior to the set date (August 31st last year, I don't know which day it is this year), players that teams want to put on IR must first clear waivers (At the moment, I can't remember whether or not that applies to veterans with 4 years of service or if their). Here's one reporter's take on the Barrett situation:

7. Part of the reason the Broncos put Barrett on waivers with the intention of placing him on season-ending injured reserve – instead of waiting until Aug. 31 when they wouldn’t have risked having another team claim him -- was that they’ve had a run of injuries early in camp that has left them short-handed. While the Patriots were within the rules to claim Barrett, some in the NFL believe there is a protocol that makes such a move off limits, similar to raiding another team’s practice squad.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4681126/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-pats-23

The Broncos could have held onto Barrett until the 31st and then put him straight on IR, but he'd have taken up a roster spot until then.

Frosty
08-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Seemed like he really wasn't being talked about too much pre draft until he had himself a really good pro day. Looks like he's got some speed and athleticism to him.

Coach Riley (Oregon State coach) made a comment back in November that he kept getting calls from NFL teams concerning Miller. I think teams were scouting Paea and would notice Miller. He only played DE for two years (TE before that) so was raw there but you could see that he was very athletic.

Direckshun
08-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Miller: Uh... you called me in here?

Pioli: *swivels around in chair to face Miller* Gaaaaaabe. My good friend. Have a seat.

Miller: I don't like it here. Too many shadows.

Pioli: shhh.... shhh.... Have a seat, Gabe.

Miller: I would rather just leave. Can we have this chat over the phone?

*door slams behind him by himself*

Pioli: I said sit.

Miller: NO. I HEARD WHAT HAPPENED TO COLIN BROWN.

Pioli: Gabe, don't be paranoid.

Miller: GET ME OUT OF HERE

*Miller scrambles to the door*

*Miller falls through a not-so-trap door by the doorway labeled "IR"*

EEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR.................

*door closes up*

Pioli: See you next season.

booger
08-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Coach Riley (Oregon State coach) made a comment back in November that he kept getting calls from NFL teams concerning Miller. I think teams were scouting Paea and would notice Miller. He only played DE for two years (TE before that) so was raw there but you could see that he was very athletic.

Looked like he was taking to playing OLB in a 2 point stance pretty well for a guy just making the switch. Looked good in the Tampa game. I remember the post draft presser and Pioli mentioned DE and TE and that they wanted to try him at OLB first but mentioned he was raw and a project. From that i would say he has looked better than they expected.

booger
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
WTF Powe??? I know the fanbase can be pretty out of touch with reality when it comes to camp performance, but is there really a chance Powe doesn't make the roster?

That struck me as odd too. Toribio has been hurt so the only way he makes it is to play really great in the last 2 games. Gordon and Gales have the edge on him most likely between those two with the advantage going to Gordon who plays the NT as well even though Haley talked yesterday about Gales coming on and how they have spent alot of time invested in him. Those 2 battle it out if they keep 7, IMO.

They keep 6 for sure and that definatly includes Powe. Gretz is FOS on some of those predictions/rankings.

Frosty
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Looked like he was taking to playing OLB in a 2 point stance pretty well for a guy just making the switch. Looked good in the Tampa game. I remember the post draft presser and Pioli mentioned DE and TE and that they wanted to try him at OLB first but mentioned he was raw and a project. From that i would say he has looked better than they expected.

He was a four star recruit at DE when he came to OS. I wish they had played him at DE the whole time but we had Victor Butler and Slade Norris (both currently in the NFL) at the time so they switched Miller to TE to get him on the field. He was a middlin' TE but flashed at DE, which was a dire need when they finally switched him back to defense.

veist
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
The "some in the NFL believe there is a protocol that makes such a move off limits, similar to raiding another team’s practice squad." line from that is classic. People raid practice squads all the time and the Jags did the same claim a waived/injured guy move to the Browns the year before so they had to know it could happen.

booger
08-25-2011, 11:23 PM
The "some in the NFL believe there is a protocol that makes such a move off limits, similar to raiding another team’s practice squad." line from that is classic. People raid practice squads all the time and the Jags did the same claim a waived/injured guy move to the Browns the year before so they had to know it could happen.

I think back to that too as it was the Jag's new GM Rick Smith taking over the roster from Shack Harris who got fired and was getting basically whoever Del Rio wanted. The owner wouldn't fire Del Rio too just got him a GM and took the final say on the roster away from him. Can't remember the player but it was a DB. Don Carrey possibly.

In other news i have no idea why i remember this stupid crap. that is all

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Very Colin Brown-esque. Fifth round WTF? selection now stashed on IR for his first year.

Rasputin
08-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd have Rodney Hudsons arrow going up, he is full of upside. Am really glad we drafted this guy.