PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So who still thinks our O-line is "adequate"?

Shaid
08-27-2011, 12:26 AM
The only reason Charles ran so well last year is because he's a fast, elusive SOB. Neither of our tackles played great. Albert wasn't horrible but he's not a world beater either. On the right side of the line we may as well sign Jordan Black because he'd be an upgrade over the shit that's out there. Three fucking holding penalties!

This is not a Cassel excuse thread or a drafturbators unite thread. This is just cold hard facts that the right tackle is going to hurt us all year unless by some miracle Gaither suddenly becomes healthy and gets in shape. I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Urc Burry
08-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Maybe if we go
LT: Gaither
LG: Lilja
C: Hudson
RG: Asamoah
RT: Albert

Then I would feel better...until then i'm concerned

kcxiv
08-27-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not going to be shocked if Albert does eventually move to RT and Gaither to LT if he can get healthy. Richardson is just BAD. Fuck beyond bad. He's fucking ass.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-27-2011, 12:39 AM
BRING BACK ROAF

DeepSouth
08-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Maybe if we go
LT: Gaither
LG: Lilja
C: Hudson
RG: Asamoah
RT: Albert

Then I would feel better...until then i'm concerned

Gaither can't even get into practice. He spends all his time on the sideline because he's not healthy. What could possibly make you think he could start at left tackle ?

kcxiv
08-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Gaither can't even get into practice. He spends all his time on the sideline because he's not healthy. What could possibly make you think he could start at left tackle ?

Because i beleive they said their plan was to bring Gaither back slowly because they are aware of his issues. He's one of them Low Risk HIGH reward players.

If they can do what they want, it may be a great thing for the oline.

sd4chiefs
08-27-2011, 12:56 AM
This is not a Cassel excuse thread or a drafturbators unite thread. This is just cold hard facts that the right tackle is going to hurt us all year unless by some miracle Gaither suddenly becomes healthy and gets in shape. I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

:(

DeepSouth
08-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Because i beleive they said their plan was to bring Gaither back slowly because they are aware of his issues. He's one of them Low Risk HIGH reward players.

If they can do what they want, it may be a great thing for the oline.
I will be surprised if he makes the team on opening day. I think he will either be cut or he might survive by being put on the injured reserve and be brought back in week 7. I'm not optimistic.

Shaid
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
I will be surprised if he makes the team on opening day. I think he will either be cut or he might survive by being put on the injured reserve and be brought back in week 7. I'm not optimistic.

PUP, but you might be right.

HotRoute
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Gaither played the majority of the second half. Not half bad either he could be a serious contender if he stays healthy

DeepSouth
08-27-2011, 01:05 AM

My mistake. PUP is correct. I stand corrected.

Shaid
08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Gaither played the majority of the second half. Not half bad either he could be a serious contender if he stays healthy

I didn't even notice. I guess at that point I was just pissed at running it with Battle on 3rd and 11, and Battle putting the ball on the ground again, and Haley not going for a TD, and pretty much everything else. I felt ok after last week but this week really pissed me off.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 01:07 AM
If he is put on IR, he is done for the year.
You cant go on PUP after you have practiced even once.

You have to start the year on pup and stay there till week 6 or so and the team has a couple week window to activate you or put you on IR.

HotRoute
08-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Gaither was signed to a 1 year deal he will get some pt . It would make zero sense to put him on pup or IR

BossChief
08-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Gaither should start at LT and we should look high and low for a RT we can either trade for or sign after being cut.

Lets hope some vet RT on his last legs gets cut that can give us one solid year.

xztop12
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
The only reason Charles ran so well last year is because he's a fast, elusive SOB. Neither of our tackles played great. Albert wasn't horrible but he's not a world beater either. On the right side of the line we may as well sign Jordan Black because he'd be an upgrade over the shit that's out there. Three ****ing holding penalties!

OH MY GOD.

Here we go again, some of you guys are as dumb sounding as the callers into 610 radio, hahahah ffff.

Run Blocking and Pass Blocking are entirely different and take a different skillset. The O-line we had last year was a very good run blocking one but maybe the worst pass blocking in the NFL.

This year its a little different but tackle is the main problem in terms of pass blocking at this point.

Direckshun
08-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Gaither looked damn good. Made Robert Quinn look useless.

TEX
08-27-2011, 06:23 AM
OH MY GOD.

Here we go again, some of you guys are as dumb sounding as the callers into 610 radio, hahahah ffff.

Run Blocking and Pass Blocking are entirely different and take a different skillset. The O-line we had last year was a very good run blocking one but maybe the worst pass blocking in the NFL.

This year its a little different but tackle is the main problem in terms of pass blocking at this point.

So this year's line looks to be not as good at run blocking and worse at pass blocking. It's gonna stay that way regarding the pass blocking until "something" is done with the Tackles. Albert is not going to develop into a good pass blocker at LT and Richardson is just a turd of a pass blocker at RT.

Shaid
08-27-2011, 07:38 AM
OH MY GOD.

OH MY GOD

No shit run blocking and pass blocking are different. Charles made a lot of people miss in the backfield last year and that's a fact. This year Richardson couldn't block a 6 year old girl from getting to her lollipop. I'm not concerned about the interior of the line, and I don't think anyone else mentioned them as a liability either.

Dave Lane
08-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Not me. Better at run blocking but really not good at anything.

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2011, 07:52 AM
OH MY GOD

No shit run blocking and pass blocking are different. Charles made a lot of people miss in the backfield last year and that's a fact. This year Richardson couldn't block a 6 year old girl from getting to her lollipop. I'm not concerned about the interior of the line, and I don't think anyone else mentioned them as a liability either.

I think you're putting to the problem but not the right symptom.

Albert is actually a very good run blocker. Richardson is good enough as a run blocker. You may not be concerned about our interior line, but you should have been last year. Wiegmann can't last a full season and in the second half, he was getting flat out destroyed. And Ryan Lilja wasn't 100% for a lot of the middle of the season. Not to mention that because Cassel couldn't pull the safeties back, you had 8 guys consistently stuffing the box, which makes it really tough to pull off a power running game.

And you should be worried about the interior. I like their long-term prospects, but the greatest problem is that we have 2 new guys playing new positions. By the end of the season, we could have 3. Granted, LG is Lilja's natural position. But an o-line blossoms from chemistry and learning how to work with each other. And we're still not yet at the point where we can feel comfortable at Center. I don't know when that will be, because even if Hudson is ready by midseason, he's going to have a significant learning curve.

So from a run blocking standpoint, I disagree that our Tackles were even close to the problem. Our problem was and still is our interior, and a lot of that can be blamed on our inefficient passing game.

MIAdragon
08-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Gaither looked damn good. Made Robert Quinn look useless.

GD that man is huge, he may be the key to the line this season.

JeffWright562
08-27-2011, 08:41 AM
I think our line needs some work. Maybe Gaither can help. I found this article on him this morning..."Is Jerad Gaither the best pass blocker for the kansas city chiefs"

milkman
08-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I think our line needs some work. Maybe Gaither can help. I found this article on him this morning..."Is Jerad Gaither the best pass blocker for the kansas city chiefs"

Not sure what article you found, but whatever it is, I think it's has to be stupidity wrapped in obviousness.

Gaither, if healthy is among the top 10 LTs in the league, and he was just beginning to tap into his potential.

If there ever was a "duh" article, that one almost certainly has to be it.

DJ's left nut
08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
OH MY GOD

So just to clarify:

You aren't concerned with the interior line and you think Albert is fine (not elite, but fine) - yet somehow you are lambasting the Chiefs O-line as a unit and insisting that it's garbage.

That sound about right?

Barry Richardson is garbage - that's it. Albert keeps getting blasted by idiots that don't pay attention to his actual play and the interior line looks good (some rookie mistakes by Hudson and learning errors by Aso notwithstanding). Richardson is the guy that's making the line look bad but he's also just one man that needs to be addressed. Anytime your line is 1 player away from being pretty damn good, then it's really not as horrid as you're trying to make it seem.

You can't castigate the entire line when your own words make it clear that the problem is really just with Barry Richardson.

(And yes, this is another Cassel defense thread, regardless of whether or not you preface the OP by saying it isn't)

Shaid
08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
So just to clarify:

You aren't concerned with the interior line and you think Albert is fine (not elite, but fine) - yet somehow you are lambasting the Chiefs O-line as a unit and insisting that it's garbage.

That sound about right?

Barry Richardson is garbage - that's it. Albert keeps getting blasted by idiots that don't pay attention to his actual play and the interior line looks good (some rookie mistakes by Hudson and learning errors by Aso notwithstanding). Richardson is the guy that's making the line look bad but he's also just one man that needs to be addressed. Anytime your line is 1 player away from being pretty damn good, then it's really not as horrid as you're trying to make it seem.

You can't castigate the entire line when your own words make it clear that the problem is really just with Barry Richardson.

ok, obviously I need to clarify. I think the interior has been addressed with a couple of players. Yes, it will take them a little time to gel but overall I think there are signs of improvement and for what we do (pulling, etc.) I think they will be fine. I still would like better up the middle push on short yardage situations and just overall improvement but with 2 players (including Hudson) in their first 2 years there will be some issues as they acclimate to the level of talent they face.

I would call Albert servicable but that's about it. Nothing he's done has shown he can be a franchise LT. He gives Cassel just enough time to get a pass off but that's about it. If Cassel gets pressure from the right, he has no chance to slide Albert's way to avoid pressure. A first round LT in their 4th year should give you more.

Yes, I absolutely feel Richardson is the weak link. If he's better, everyone looks better.

(And yes, this is another Cassel defense thread, regardless of whether or not you preface the OP by saying it isn't)
I suppose every thread that discusses any player on offense must be a Cassel thread. :rolleyes:

DJ's left nut
08-27-2011, 09:51 AM
ok, obviously I need to clarify. I think the interior has been addressed with a couple of players. Yes, it will take them a little time to gel but overall I think there are signs of improvement and for what we do (pulling, etc.) I think they will be fine. I still would like better up the middle push on short yardage situations and just overall improvement but with 2 players (including Hudson) in their first 2 years there will be some issues as they acclimate to the level of talent they face.

I would call Albert servicable but that's about it. Nothing he's done has shown he can be a franchise LT. He gives Cassel just enough time to get a pass off but that's about it. If Cassel gets pressure from the right, he has no chance to slide Albert's way to avoid pressure. A first round LT in their 4th year should give you more.

Yes, I absolutely feel Richardson is the weak link. If he's better, everyone looks better.

I suppose every thread that discusses any player on offense must be a Cassel thread. :rolleyes:

Wait - what?

A righthanded quarterback should be able to slide to his blind side in the event that his RT gets beat to avoid pressure?

That not at ALL what any quarterback would be taught. You'd be giving away your ability to put your body into the throw and would essentially be flipping up interceptions from your back foot all day. Seriously - try throwing a football while backpeddling - you get nothing on it. Cassel would be better served to take a sack.

And you're also being unreasonable as to what Albert's expectations would be. It's not like he's supposed to be pancaking his man in pass-pro. He's supposed to be routing him up and around to create a pocket. Just how big do you expect an NFL pocket to be? Should Cassel have 5 steps to his left and right as he drops back?

If the RT gets beat, Cassel needs to be able to step up, not slide backwards. That's how an NFL pocket is designed to function (because frankly, your method would be asinine and likely impossible).

Give me a break - your own words hang you here. To argue that Albert's failing because he isn't giving Cassel room to blindly backpeddle as Richardson fails shows just how desperate you are to criticize Albert.

And if this isn't an attempt to excuse Cassel, then it's another really pathetic attempt to excoriate Albert or to point out that Richardson is bad (which is akin to saying that water is wet).

So really - what's the point?

Shaid
08-27-2011, 10:29 AM
ok, so every QB inevitably only gets pressure from the left and only can slide right, got it. :thumb:

We're taking 3 step drops and sometimes 5 step drops, etc. most of the time. I would call a pocket rolling around with the defender and taking him out wide. The defender gets around Albert before he rolls them out wide enough. If he could stay with the guy for one or two more steps most of the time then the protection would look really good. How many times do you see him get beat inside? Hardly ever. He gets beat around the edge because his footwork isn't quick enough to keep up.

Seriouly, your LT is supposed to be a good pass protector. If they are also a great run blocker than that's gravy. Albert is weakest in the part that is most important for his role. If all we want to do is run, then he's your guy.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 10:31 AM
there's a lot of retard in this thread. OMG, TEH SKY IZ FALLIN!

WhiteWhale
08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
ok, so every QB inevitably only gets pressure from the left and only can slide right, got it. :thumb:

We're taking 3 step drops and sometimes 5 step drops, etc. most of the time. I would call a pocket rolling around with the defender and taking him out wide. The defender gets around Albert before he rolls them out wide enough. If he could stay with the guy for one or two more steps most of the time then the protection would look really good. How many times do you see him get beat inside? Hardly ever. He gets beat around the edge because his footwork isn't quick enough to keep up.

Seriouly, your LT is supposed to be a good pass protector. If they are also a great run blocker than that's gravy. Albert is weakest in the part that is most important for his role. If all we want to do is run, then he's your guy.

Qb's aren't supposed to slide sideways.

As for Albert.. it's not his feet. It's his reaction. He's slow getting off the line consistently. It's the same problem he had as a rookie and it's probably not going to improve. He's going to struggle with speed rushers until he gets out of his stance quicker.

lcarus
08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I know there is a lot of doom and gloom in the air today for obvious reasons. But realistically, am I wrong for still thinking Albert will be a great LT for many years to come?

Buckweath
08-27-2011, 10:35 AM
It's amazing how Branden Albert generates so much talk and to see how much people think he has to be replaced.

Do you guys realize that he is almost just as good a LT as Bowe is a WR???? Yet you practically never hear people complain about Bowe..

I mean Bowe is possibly a top 10-12 WR in this league and Albert is probably an average LT, top 16.

Albert is very good at run blocking and that is very important for our team as we are a run first team. At passblocking, I'm really no expert at evaluating Olinemen but I'd guess he is slightly worse than average, is that correct? So if we're going to find a replacement for him that new player better be just as good as a run blocker (not many are IMO) and better at passblocking because otherwise we'd be downgrading the strength of our offense.

kcpasco
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Well Albert is pass blocking for a sub par Qb.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM

As for Albert.. it's not his feet. It's his reaction. He's slow getting off the line consistently. It's the same problem he had as a rookie and it's probably not going to improve. He's going to struggle with speed rushers until he gets out of his stance quicker.

QBs are supposed to slide wherever the fuck they need to in order to avoid pressure.

oh yeah... and albert was fucking great as a rookie, he regressed in his second year because he was told to drop a lot of weight and rely solely on technique rather than using his weight as leverage.

Buckweath
08-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Let's all remember please that last year Oline was one of the nominees fo Oline of the year by NFL.com and I really don't think Albert was the weak link, in fact Waters, Lilja and Albert were playing at a pretty much equal level.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I know there is a lot of doom and gloom in the air today for obvious reasons. But realistically, am I wrong for still thinking Albert will be a great LT for many years to come?

he has the footwork you need in an elite LT, and if he ever gets the technique coming to him naturally without thinking, he could be great.

OnTheWarpath15
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
? Yet you practically never hear people complain about Bowe..

Spend a little more time here, and you'll see you're dead wrong, n00b.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
the only reasons I would want to see albert supplanted at LT (and no, he pretty much isn't a RT. if he moves, it's to guard, which won't happen--we have our two starters for years to come right now) are if gaither becomes all-world (like he was going to be before an injury with the ravens), or if it's apparent that he'll never get the technique down.

DJ's left nut
08-27-2011, 10:43 AM

I was speaking only to your assertion that "If Cassel gets pressure from the right, he has no chance to slide Albert's way to avoid pressure."

This is categorically false - it is not the LT's job to bend his side of the pocket out toward the sideline in order to cover for the failures of the RT. It's his job to run the rusher up and out of the play to leave the quarterback an alley to slide up and be able to step into his throw.

Your position there has no basis in fact or logic. You absolutely do not want your quarterback sliding towards your LT under any circumstance. Nor is it your LT's job to bail out the RT (in all honesty, that's pretty much the RGs job in pass pro).

Albert could improve against speed rushers - but there's a reason those guys tend to get paid a lot of money. Most LTs could stand to improve against speed rushers. Those guys get paid to play football as well and their primary role is to run around a fat guy (who's job is a hell of a lot more versatile than a speed rusher's). Brandon Albert has probably the most common weakness among LTs in football - speed kills.

The physical tools are there for him to address this weakness, but I wonder if the coaching has been adequate. We'll see as the year progresses.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2011, 10:49 AM
QBs are supposed to slide wherever the **** they need to in order to avoid pressure.

oh yeah... and albert was ****ing great as a rookie, he regressed in his second year because he was told to drop a lot of weight and rely solely on technique rather than using his weight as leverage.

Sliding sideways changes blocking angles. Offensive linemen are like the rest of us. They don't have eyes in the back of their head. It only makes the pressure worse. Qb's should only move sideways if they're attempting to escape the pocket. Otherwise they should step UP to avoid pressure from the edge.

As for Albert. No. Albert had a fine rookie season while KC played 80% of their offense from the spread. I hate to point this out, but the spread REALLY makes OT's jobs easier in pass protection. Albert has ALWAYS been slow out of his stance and that's why he almost exclusively struggles with speed rushers who beat him around the corner. Cassel magnifies this because he doesn't step UP in the pocket often enough.

An offensive linemen who is 'leaning' on people in pass protection has far bigger problems anyway. Leaning indicates he's playing off-balance.

I like Albert and I'm really pulling for him to make strides. I think he has great overall athletic ability. I don't agree with the common CP thought process of "Well, it's all because he's 30 pounds lighter that speed rushers have become difficult to handle". What makes more sense is that the problem he has with getting back in his stance on passing plays isn't being covered up by 50 shotgun formations per game like it was during his rookie season.

The guy has great feet, but he's got to get back quicker. I thought he did fine for the most part last night.

Shaid
08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
/sarcastic asshole
Hmm, he appears to be sliding not only left but also right. This can't be! I've heard this is impossible from the football wizards at Chiefsplanet. He must be from some alternate football universe!
/sarcastic asshole

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsTvvCwWnaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now granted, a QB might just need to wheel around right as opposed to sliding but the point is pressure from one side is easier to avoid if you have good protection from the other side. The point about Albert's reaction might be accurate, still a weakness. As I said, if he just hold the block for 2 more steps he's fine.

DJ's left nut
08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Sliding sideways changes blocking angles. Offensive linemen are like the rest of us. They don't have eyes in the back of their head. It only makes the pressure worse. Qb's should only move sideways if they're attempting to escape the pocket. Otherwise they should step UP to avoid pressure from the edge.

As for Albert. No. Albert had a fine rookie season while KC played 80% of their offense from the spread. I hate to point this out, but the spread REALLY makes OT's jobs easier in pass protection. Albert has ALWAYS been slow out of his stance and that's why he almost exclusively struggles with speed rushers who beat him around the corner. Cassel magnifies this because he doesn't step UP in the pocket often enough.

An offensive linemen who is 'leaning' on people in pass protection has far bigger problems anyway.

I like Albert and I'm really pulling for him to make strides. I think he has great overall athletic ability. I don't agree with the common CP thought process of "Well, it's all because he's 30 pounds lighter that speed rushers have become difficult to handle". What makes more sense is that the problem he has with getting back in his stance on passing plays isn't being covered up by 50 shotgun formations per game like it was during his rookie season.

The guy has great feet, but he's got to get back quicker.

I pretty much make an effort to find something I disagree with with every post I read round these parts....

And here I got nothing.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2011, 11:07 AM
/sarcastic asshole
Hmm, he appears to be sliding not only left but also right. This can't be! I've heard this is impossible from the football wizards at Chiefsplanet. He must be from some alternate football universe!
/sarcastic asshole

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsTvvCwWnaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now granted, a QB might just need to wheel around right as opposed to sliding but the point is pressure from one side is easier to avoid if you have good protection from the other side. The point about Albert's reaction might be accurate, still a weakness. As I said, if he just hold the block for 2 more steps he's fine.

:D Nya Nya Nya.

I'm not saying it's impossible, nor am I saying it isn't, at times, necessary.

I'm saying that if a QB is sliding to his left when the RT is beat and there's room to step up, he's being an idiot. Step up and help the OT re-establish position. By moving sideways you may evade the immediate rush, but you've also given an advantage to every rusher because they know where you're going and the OL has no idea. By stepping up an OL can often reestablish a firm pocket. That's what they're coached to do. If there is no real pocket, then all bets are off. Just get the hell away from all the guys chasing you.

As for Albert... yeah. It's a weakness. A wholly correctable weakness. If he gets back faster and establishes his position, he won't be leaning and lunging as much to hold his blocks like he does now because he's in bad position when he engages. He has to correct it though. I'm holding out hope he's improved in this regard for 2011, but I honestly thought this problem would be non-existent by now. It's just kinda lingered there like a wart that won't go away. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Shaid
08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm saying that if a QB is sliding to his left when the RT is beat and there's room to step up, he's being an idiot.

100% agree. That's a Cassel weakness.

RedThat
08-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I've always been a skeptic of the O-line. Period.

You are right Charles ran so well last year b/c he is fast and elusive. He makes up for a lot. Plus, I think Weis did a good job running a lot of plays that were well suited towards utilizing the players strengths. Imo, the playcalling had a lot to do with making the run game as effective as it was. I think a lot of the Olines weaknesses were somewhat masked last year.

I might get chastized for saying this, but I think losing Waters might hurt us in a way. He opened up a lot of holes for Charles on the left side. I've always thought of him to be a damn good run blocker. But, we got to rebuild? In comes Asamoah and out goes Waters. Can't disagree with that move. Im just going to miss Waters' presence.

One thing that always remained consistent on our Oline is that our tackles can't pass protect if their lives depended on it. Albert is an average LT. Bottomline. He is nothing special and I think Chiefs fans should just accept that. There is nothing in him that just completely blows me away and say, "wow, that kid is going to be the LT for years to come." Nope. Don't see that in him.

Richardson is just complete a**. No ****ing way should anybody stick up for him to this point. He is complete dogsh*t and deserves to have his a** cut. Im so disappointed in him. He has gotten worse each and every game.

I seriously think they should just give Gaither a shot. what do we got to lose? Our tackles have been a disaster since the end of last season till now. Its blatantly obvious that if we stick with Albert and Richardson we are going to have problems come week 1. I seriously don't feel comfortable going into the season with them as the starters.

We need to resolve the tackle situation. Our best bet would be to put Gaither in at LT, and move Albert over to his natural position at left guard. Albert will make a good guard. He is just not a good starting LT. Sorry guys. Say what you want, he just doesn't have it to be elite at the position. Then go out and get a RT through a trade or something. I ****ing hate Richardson.

Does drafting Gabe Carimi in the first round of this years draft sound like a stupid move afterall? This is who I was rooting for the Chiefs to draft. I had a feeling all along Richardson was going to be a problem. But no to RT in the first round. Thats Chiefsplanet for you. Are you kidding me? RT? Thats a ****ing disease to some people. Ewwww. We treat the RT position like a grain of salt. As if it is not some big issue in the off-season and meanwhile it comes back to haunt us and we piss and moan about it during the preseason yet don't want to draft a RT in 1st? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Meanwhile our beloved boneheaded first round pick Baldwin looks like he is off to great start. Way to go kiddo thats how you start off an NFL career.

Marcellus
08-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Put Gaither at RT and the line is fine. Hudson at center eventually and its even better.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2011, 11:37 AM
ROFL Allen Bailey played a nice Left Tackle last night. Anyone else watch the Ram broadcast? I understand that it was goofy to have 2 #71's but cmon.

The dude who called that game is one of the worst play by play guys I've ever seen in any sport.

RedThat
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Put Gaither at RT and the line is fine. Hudson at center eventually and its even better.

Gaither showed he can play LT.

Thats the position I think he plays or nothing else. We need to find a way to quick fix the RT situation. Get a proven vet in here or something.

Albert needs to wake the eff up or lose his job as a LT. Period. OR, move him back to LG his natural position.

If we are going to make Oline changes lets do it right. We do that by placing guys to their appropriate positions that they are familiar with. I don't want to see none of this newness b.s. That just screws everything up because then guys have to learn and adapt to playing their new positions. Then all of sudden it becomes a transitional process. That is just asking for mistakes to happen.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Gaither did look pretty good, and Richardson cost the offense on multiple occasions... something that happens way too much. I wonder if we will see a change on the depth chart this week at the OT positions?

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Gaither did look pretty good, and Richardson cost the offense on multiple occasions... something that happens way too much. I wonder if we will see a change on the depth chart this week at the OT positions?

Probably won't happen until after the last PS game, at the earliest.

The Chiefs can not rely on Gaither's health.

I hope the Chiefs pick up a RT in the upcoming cuts.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Probably won't happen until after the last PS game, at the earliest.

The Chiefs can not rely on Gaither's health.

I hope the Chiefs pick up a RT in the upcoming cuts.

They are going to have to roll the dice at some point on Gaithers health. And, a line needs time to gel a bit. If they move him to the RT spot, and his health does not hold, you can always come back with Richardson.

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:27 AM
They are going to have to roll the dice at some point on Gaithers health. And, a line needs time to gel a bit. If they move him to the RT spot, and his health does not hold, you can always come back with Richardson.

I understand that.

That's why I think they might make the change after the last preseason game.

If he gets through that without any setbacks, they might decide to roll that dice then.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I understand that.

That's why I think they might make the change after the last preseason game.

If he gets through that without any setbacks, they might decide to roll that dice then.

I'd still push it up a week. We already know what we get with Richardson. I'd let Gaither run with the #1's Thursday... and maybe even until half just for more game conditioning, and let Richardson swing over to the LT spot when Albert comes out with the #1's.

That's just me though.

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 09:46 AM
To me our O-line has looked like the worst part of the team on both sides of the ball so far. It has me way more nervous than Cassel.

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
To me our O-line has looked like the worst part of the team on both sides of the ball so far. It has me way more nervous than Cassel.

Our starting O-Line looks really bad for two reasons.

Barry Richardson and Matt Cassel.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 09:49 AM

For me, I would remove the "way more" out of your second sentence. More of a worry 1A going to the O-line, and 1B going to Cassel... then a pretty large gap to the next worry.

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Our starting O-Line looks really bad for two reasons.

Barry Richardson and Matt Cassel.Our running game hasn't been very stellar. I know Charles hasn't had many touches but one would hope we could have had at least one series in three preseason games like the rams did early when they were running Jackson at will.

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Our running game hasn't been very stellar. I know Charles hasn't had many touches but one would hope we could have had at least one series in three preseason games like the rams did early when they were running Jackson at will.

Charles has carried the ball, what, 6 times this preseason?

Jones has looked old and slow.
Battle has just looked slow.

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 09:59 AM
For me, I would remove the "way more" out of your second sentence. More of a worry 1A going to the O-line, and 1B going to Cassel... then a pretty large gap to the next worry.1C - wearing Colquitt out before the regular season begins.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 10:04 AM
1C - wearing Colquitt out before the regular season begins.

:D No doubt. Opponents are getting pretty close to blocking a punt too! Once the team is down to the 53 players, hopefully that gets straightened out. And it goes without saying the FG unit fits in this concern as well.

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Charles has carried the ball, what, 6 times this preseason?

Jones has looked old and slow.
Battle has just looked slow.Yeah I know. Just disappointed we haven't dominated one series running so far.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I guess at the very least, Gaither should start getting snaps in practice with the #1's at the RT position. If 19 billion holding penalties on Richardson last Friday isn't enough incentive to have the coaching staff at least start making that move, then I would seriously have to start wondering about out coaches.

Ugly Duck
08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Dudes, methinks you overeact to preseason vanilla. I would like nothing more than to believe that KC's O-line suddenly sucks weenie. If only I could share your pessimism. The sad truth is, no team gets the rushing title because their line can't block. ConverselyMo, teams don't end up at the bottom of rush stats because their line is the bestest of all time. Nothing has happened yet - its the preseason.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Dudes, methinks you overeact to preseason vanilla. I would like nothing more than to believe that KC's O-line suddenly sucks weenie. If only I could share your pessimism. The sad truth is, no team gets the rushing title because their line can't block. ConverselyMo, teams don't end up at the bottom of rush stats because their line is the bestest of all time. Nothing has happened yet - its the preseason.

Overall, the line has some real promise. But we do have a glaring hole over on the right side. Richardson is pretty fair in the run game. Pass protection... not so much. And it is not something new here in preseason. It was there pretty much all of last regular season too.

Oh Snap
08-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I think Albert would be great at RT...

Gaither would probably get my nod at LT. But if he isnt 100% healthy, Albert should remain as the starter. Another thing, I know the coaches dont always seem right, but if they have Albert starting over Gaither at LT, Im willing to bet there is a justifiable reason behind that.

Perhaps Gaither hasnt been impressive enough to start over Albert. Most NFL scouts did say that Albert would make a great RT back when we drafted...they also said he would be a project at LT. They might have been onto something in that regard.

It also makes you wonder why Richardson was our only RT until very recently. Perhaps the FO was planning on moving albert to RT when the season starts. I dunno, the OL does look a bit shaky though this year. Though its kinda hard to judge from only 3-4qtrs of separate play. Not sure why Haley is babying the preseason the way he is. I understand you dont want an injury, but those are valuable reps.

Oh Snap
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM

I agree...being that it is only the preseason, everything is incredibly vanilla. There really is no game planning going on leading up to the game. There is probably more preparation in High school football than in the NFL preseason.

Now, with that said...we didnt exactly leave last season on a high note. We did got blown out at Arrowhead two weeks in a row in the last two games played last year...that doesnt inspire great confidence. We've always seemed to play terrible in the preseason though. Even our backups historically have sucked.

But again, with all that said...the rams game is not one that you should judge the team by. The rams are horrible...even the sun shines on a dogs ass somedays. Doesnt mean much.

Rasputin
08-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not ready to give up on B. Richardson even if he had a few holding calls. He may have regressed from not having the offseason to work on things with the coaches, that doesn't mean he can't turn it around. Not much time to do that, but I think a few games into the season , we will see him do much better.

Oh Snap
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not ready to give up on B. Richardson even if he had a few holding calls. He may have regressed from not having the offseason to work on things with the coaches, that doesn't mean he can't turn it around. Not much time to do that, but I think a few games into the season , we will see him do much better.

if he is the best player at that position, then he should start... but if he is not...there is no reason to push it imo.

Rasputin
08-28-2011, 07:16 PM
if he is the best player at that position, then he should start... but if he is not...there is no reason to push it imo.

I have confidence in B. Richardson to do well and am rooting for him to excel at that spot. If he don't then he can be replaced.

It's rare for me to like a player that comes from another team (that we don't draft). I like Gaithers for his size and what I think he can do for us at LT. I like B. Albert too & am ok with either of the two starting at LT. Right now I still want B. Richardson to continue at RT, but if he don't learn from his mistakes then swiching Albert over would be fine.

I think young players deserve a chance to grow and learn from mistakes, especially mistakes in preseason.

O.city
08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I have confidence in B. Richardson to do well and am rooting for him to excel at that spot. If he don't then he can be replaced.

It's rare for me to like a player that comes from another team (that we don't draft). I like Gaithers for his size and what I think he can do for us at LT. I like B. Albert too & am ok with either of the two starting at LT. Right now I still want B. Richardson to continue at RT, but if he don't learn from his mistakes then swiching Albert over would be fine.

I think young players deserve a chance to grow and learn from mistakes, especially mistakes in preseason.

While i do agree that young players should have a chance to grow, this is also the NFL where it's produce or go home. If a rookie continues to make the same stupid mental mistakes that Richardson does, it's time to cut ties and move on.

Rasputin
08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
While i do agree that young players should have a chance to grow, this is also the NFL where it's produce or go home. If a rookie continues to make the same stupid mental mistakes that Richardson does, it's time to cut ties and move on.

If he continues to make those mistakes into the regular season then yes we should move on. He does deserve a chance to correct them and prove he belongs.

Marcellus
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
If he continues to make those mistakes into the regular season then yes we should move on. He does deserve a chance to correct them and prove he belongs.

BR has hit his ceiling in my view. He didn't get better over the course of last year and he isn't better now.

Rasputin
08-28-2011, 07:35 PM
BR has hit his ceiling in my view. He didn't get better over the course of last year and he isn't better now.

I may be holding out hope for the guy, but I still have hope for him. Am not going to throw in the towl just yet.

Marcellus
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I may be holding out hope for the guy, but I still have hope for him. Am not going to throw in the towl just yet.

No need to throw in the towel, just put the better player on the field. And that's Gaither if he is 75%.

O.city
08-28-2011, 07:43 PM
No need to throw in the towel, just put the better player on the field. And that's Gaither if he is 75%.

Thats my thinking as well. How many chances do you give a player when there is another player on the bench who is better by leaps and bounds?

Richardson is a backup T at best that's it. Does he do some good things. Yeah. Is he good enough to start at RT for a team who wants to go to the playoffs and beyond. No chance.

Ask yourself this. Would he start for any playoff team at RT other than the Steelers who have a monster to bring down at qb? NO

beach tribe
08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Dude you've packed a whole lot of stupid into 38 posts

beach tribe
08-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Dude you've packed a whole lot of stupid into 38 posts

And whoever said Gaither wouldn't make the opening roster is just wrong.
He may have been our best T in the game Fri. Albert did look good as well though. Gaither is going to continue to improve without a doubt barring injury. Richardson has NO CHANCE at keeping him out of the lineup, and Albert will have to make everyone forget that there is even an issue at LT if he wants to keep his job there.