PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Cassel Deals With Frustrations

Tribal Warfare
08-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Cassel Deals With Frustrations (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/cassel-deals-with-frustrations.html)
August 27, 2011 - Bob Gretz

Matt Cassel was frustrated.

There were 71 seconds to play in the first half and the Chiefs were trying to make something happen in a two-minute offensive drill before they went to the locker room.

A timeout was called with 1 minute, 11 seconds to play. After conferring on the sidelines with the coaches, Cassel called the play in the huddle and when the offense broke for the line of scrimmage somebody was in a spot they were not supposed to be. We don’t know who, because Cassel and head coach Todd Haley wouldn’t identify the player.

But Cassel signaled for another timeout. Only one problem: the offense is not allowed to call back-to-back timeouts. Instead, the Chiefs got slapped with a five-yard delay of game penalty. Two incompletions later, the ball was punted back to the Rams.

Frustration overwhelmed his common sense and knowledge of the rules.

“We had a formation problem, I was trying to get them set up and the clock was running down and little did I think about the fact we were coming off a timeout,” said Cassel. “I just have to do a better job in that situation.”

It was that kind of unusual day for the Chiefs quarterbacks. Cassel started, but then in the second quarter he gave way to Tyler Palko for one series. Then, Cassel went back in and finished up the half. Ricky Stanzi started the second half and played until late in the fourth quarter when Palko returned.

The changes went as they were scripted by head coach Todd Haley in the name of evaluating his players with roster moves looking in the next week.

“Tyler had not been in there with our core players,” said Haley. “We decided to give him a series with our core guys to get a good evaluation. It had nothing to do with Matt; of course he wants to play all the time and we got to get him ready too.”

Cassel is more than willing to live with the changes because he knows how important having those two backup QBs ready to go if needed.

“Coach Haley wants to do it a certain way and I think we are all on board with that,” Cassel said of the Chiefs approach. “We have to be more disciplined. We can’t have these penalties. That puts us in a tough spot, a lot of third and long situations. It’s hard to convert on third and long. We need to do a better job and stay out of those situations and be disciplined.

“I think it’s something that’s a great tool for these young guys that at any point they could be in the game. I think that was something he utilized today and Tyler went in there and got a series out of the blue. It was good and for me it’s about making sure those young guys get work and I’m ready to go back in.”

So unusual has this pre-season been that Cassel is now the only Chiefs quarterback that has not thrown a touchdown pass. Palko got his last week in Baltimore, and Stanzi connected on a pretty 32-yard scoring pass with TE Cody Slate.

What’s the take on Cassel’s play overall?

“I thought there were signs of progress,” said Haley. “In pressure he got out of a couple of sacks and made a play. That’s something we’ve been emphasizing and that was a good sign.”

But what wasn’t a good sign was Haley’s starting quarterback calling for an illegal timeout.

“That was disappointing,” said Haley. “We have to make sure everybody is aware of the rule and make sure something like that doesn’t happen.”

Hammock Parties
08-27-2011, 06:50 AM
It was either Bowe or Moeaki.

kstater
08-27-2011, 06:52 AM
It was either Bowe or Moeaki.

It was Bowe.

BigMeatballDave
08-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Doesn't matter who it is. Cassel is the leader in the field. It's his responsibility and he fucked up.

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Man, I really like Cassel. Great kid, great attitude, and really knows how to say the right things.

I just want him to start playing consistently good football.

Bane
08-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Fuck Matt Cassel.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2011, 07:15 AM
It was Bowe.

Actually, looking at it again, Bowe was supposed to go in motion, but didn't want to come off the line because Moeaki wasn't on the line. They would have gotten a penalty for an illegal formation.

Bowe was waving at Mo to step up, but he wasn't looking.

Bane
08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
“I thought there were signs of progress” <<<< Most stated comment about Cassel from Haley.....In other words,Pioli brought this shit bag motherfucker in cause of old ties and I have to pacify the motherfucker till everyone wakes the fuck up.

suds79
08-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Man here we are in year 3 and we still don't know if this guy is any good. Last year he was good in the middle of the season. Horrible early and late.

It's just preseason so I won't jump to conclusions on how he's looked so far. Just tired of not knowing if we have a player at the most important position on the field.

MIAdragon
08-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Man here we are in year 3 and we still don't know if this guy is any good. Last year he was good in the middle of the season. Horrible early and late.

It's just preseason so I won't jump to conclusions on how he's looked so far. Just tired of not knowing if we have a player at the most important position on the field.

Speak for yourself buddy.

Crush
08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Stanzi will be the starter by the end of the year.

talastan
08-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I've tried to be open minded about Cassel throughout his time here in KC, but last night when he was compared with Stanzi, it was like night and day. Stanzi just looked a hundred times more comfortable moving around in the pocket. His throwing motion and accuracy is exceptional in comparison to Cassel. I really hope Cassel takes the steps he needs to, but I feel much better knowing what we have to back him up should he be injured or worse; needs to be replaced.

Bob Dole
08-27-2011, 09:25 AM
What’s the take on Cassel’s play overall?

“I thought there were signs of progress,” said Haley.

And there's the problem. He should be at a point in his career where the only progress possible is to go from good to superb. He's still trying to go from shit to adequate.

Brock
08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Durrrr, TIMEOUT!

OnTheWarpath15
08-27-2011, 09:30 AM
And there's the problem. He should be at a point in his career where the only progress possible is to go from good to superb. He's still trying to go from shit to adequate.

I'm betting he graded out perfect last night.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm betting he graded out perfect last night.

No, he was 4 INTs short of a perfect grade. ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
No, he was 4 INTs short of a perfect grade. ROFL

LMAO

Funny that they are our Week 1 opponent.

Jimhoopie
08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I've been high on Stanzi since his days at Iowa. He didn't have much talent on offense around him there yet posted some good numbers. I do think he's raw and needs some time. But I do believe he was drafted to replace Cassel at some point. He's got a real smooth release and nice touch. Much better than Cassel who's throws look awkward. Cassel doesn't throw that td pass down the sideline.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
The worst part was watching Bradford....on that one quick hitch he threw the receiver was completely blanketed by Carr and the announcers were oozing praise about how he "threw the receiver open."

Guess Cassel can't do that.

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I've been high on Stanzi since his days at Iowa. He didn't have much talent on offense around him there yet posted some good numbers. I do think he's raw and needs some time. But I do believe he was drafted to replace Cassel at some point. He's got a real smooth release and nice touch. Much better than Cassel who's throws look awkward. Cassel doesn't throw that td pass down the sideline.

I'm still scratching my head at how Stanzi fell that low. I know he's a work in progress, but I just can't see where the red flag is. Good kid, good size, good arm strength, good leadership, etc....

But then, there are 32 teams that didn't see it. So there's gotta be something we're nto seeing. Still, obviously rooting big time for this kid.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Maybe Cassel just has a low frustration tolerance.

It's too bad he can't sit in the stands and watch himself play. That would certainly teach him how to handle frustration. It's helped me.

Just Passin' By
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Doesn't matter who it is. Cassel is the leader in the field. It's his responsibility and he ****ed up.

The QB couldn't win in that situation. He couldn't call a timeout to save the ass of the player who didn't hear the right call (or who heard the right call and is still screwing up) and, if he had just let the clock run out (his alternative), you people would be killing him for that.

RealSNR
08-27-2011, 10:13 AM
The QB couldn't win in that situation. He couldn't call a timeout to save the ass of the player who didn't hear the right call (or who heard the right call and is still screwing up) and, if he had just let the clock run out (his alternative), you people would be killing him for that.I don't blame him for the timeout bukkake. But his late throws last night were mistakes you see out of 7th round rookie QBs fighting to stay on the roster instead of being relegated to the practice squad.

Yeah, the protection wasn't the greatest for the majority of the time. But that's the fucking NFL. Suck it up and don't lose your cool. And for God's sake try getting the ball out of your hands a bit quicker.

Imon Yourside
08-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm heading towards the Cassel sucks camp, he just doesn't seem to have "it".

Jimhoopie
08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm still scratching my head at how Stanzi fell that low. I know he's a work in progress, but I just can't see where the red flag is. Good kid, good size, good arm strength, good leadership, etc....

But then, there are 32 teams that didn't see it. So there's gotta be something we're nto seeing. Still, obviously rooting big time for this kid.

I know people are afraid to say it. But I'm not. He has a lot of similarities to Tom Brady. Only time will tell but I think the potential is there. Get back with me in a couple years. Hopefully we will get lucky for once in my lifetime.

Rausch
08-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Pretty much.

We need to find a legitimate replacement before his contract's up...

SAUTO
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Stanzi has looked better than the other two so far.

Hope for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM
This is a strange year. Leaders like Drew Brees were able to get their guys together on a regular basis. He even got the rookies in there. Cassel did it almost as a reaction to the other teams out there. I think if Haley sees more work out of those guys during the lockout he doesn't go all conditioning mode. Haley didn't trust these guys to be ready and now they won't be from the looks of things.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Hey, you can't spell 's**t' without 'it'.

Amirite?

rocknrolla
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Pretty much.

We need to find a legitimate replacement before his contract's up...

I'm hoping we have him. By the looks of Stanzi last night.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
When is Cassel's contract up?

whoman69
08-27-2011, 11:46 AM
He signed a 6 year contract before the 2009 season, most of it frontloaded in the first three seasons. I would think after this season if they wanted to part ways it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2011, 11:49 AM
He signed a 6 year contract before the 2009 season, most of it frontloaded in the first three seasons. I would think after this season if they wanted to part ways it wouldn't be much of an issue.

I hope. We're really wasting our time with him. He's a great person but he's not going to lead us to where we want to go. I hope he proves everyone wrong this year but I doubt it.

OnTheWarpath15
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Stanzi has looked better than the other two so far.

Hope for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep in mind, he looks better against other team's 3rd and 4th teamers.

With that said, he looks better fundamentally than Cassel and Palko, and that shows regardless of the level of talent surrounding him or playing against him.

His drops are better, his pocket presence is better, he scans the field better. His decision making appears to be much better.

Sadly, in all these areas, he's way ahead of our starting QB.

Just Passin' By
08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't blame him for the timeout bukkake. But his late throws last night were mistakes you see out of 7th round rookie QBs fighting to stay on the roster instead of being relegated to the practice squad.

Yeah, the protection wasn't the greatest for the majority of the time. But that's the ****ing NFL. Suck it up and don't lose your cool. And for God's sake try getting the ball out of your hands a bit quicker.

So, the protection sucked, but it's Cassel's fault for not releasing the ball before his receivers had time to get open, and he should somehow be releasing the ball faster than any other QB in the NFL? No QB consistently beats jailbreaks, including Brady and Manning.

Cassel's not perfect, but you generally can't have it both ways. If the line isn't blocking long enough, that's not the fault of Cassel. If the problem is that Cassel is making sandwiches in the backfield, that's not on the line. While Cassel may be the problem on any given play, the problem has mainly been the line, not the QB.

I expect the line will improve, and I won't be shocked to see the starters getting some time in game 4 as part of Haly's different approach this year. But the need for some around here to blame Cassel for everything is just ridiculous, and it clouds a lot of posters' takes on almost everything the team does, especially on offense.

Brock
08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Welp, let's just get through this year, then we can get rid of the stiff.

Titty Meat
08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
The worst part was watching Bradford....on that one quick hitch he threw the receiver was completely blanketed by Carr and the announcers were oozing praise about how he "threw the receiver open."

Guess Cassel can't do that.

He did it last week with Smith blanketing Bowe. Try again bruh.

08-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind, he looks better against other team's 3rd and 4th teamers.

With that said, he looks better fundamentally than Cassel and Palko, and that shows regardless of the level of talent surrounding him or playing against him.

His drops are better, his pocket presence is better, he scans the field better. His decision making appears to be much better.

Sadly, in all these areas, he's way ahead of our starting QB.

I'll preface by saying I didn't watch the entire game but the times I have seen Stanzi he does tend to stare down his receivers too much. Like Elvis did.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 02:44 PM
I'll preface by saying I didn't watch the entire game but the times I have seen Stanzi he does tend to stare down his receivers too much. Like Elvis did.

this doesn't go for only Stanzi, but quarterbacks in general.

Sometimes the absolute best thing you can do is stare down your guy.

If you have a guy that runs crisp routes and you see he is matched up against a corner that you have done your homework on and that you know cant keep up with your guy...then you should stare your guy down to see if there is a possibility of a big gainer due to the matchup.

Sometimes people use it as a knock on a quarterback when in reality, its a strength and it shows he preparation level of the player for the situation he is in.

08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
this doesn't go for only Stanzi, but quarterbacks in general.

Sometimes the absolute best thing you can do is stare down your guy.

If you have a guy that runs crisp routes and you see he is matched up against a corner that you have done your homework on and that you know cant keep up with your guy...then you should stare your guy down to see if there is a possibility of a big gainer due to the matchup.

Sometimes people use it as a knock on a quarterback when in reality, its a strength and it shows he preparation level of the player for the situation he is in.

Well sure but not all the time. Seems like most of the time I see him he is staring down receivers. You can't do that in the NFL.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
You never, absolutely never, at any level, stare down your receiver.

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Well sure but not all the time. Seems like most of the time I see him he is staring down receivers. You can't do that in the NFL.

People can bitch and moan about the pass protection for both Matt Cassel and Tyler Palko, but until last night, neither have faced the absolute jailbreaks that Stanzi has faced when he has gotten into games.

They've had their share of plays in which they've had plenty in the pocket to stare down receivers.

Stanzi hasn't had time to blink, much less to stare, so I have no idea who the hell you have been watching.

ChiefsCountry
08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Cassel has never had "it." Its the reason he was a backup in college and its the reason why he won't be able to take the next step in the NFL.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Stanzi has "it"

08-27-2011, 03:40 PM
People can bitch and moan about the pass protection for both Matt Cassel and Tyler Palko, but until last night, neither have faced the absolute jailbreaks that Stanzi has faced when he has gotten into games.

They've had their share of plays in which they've had plenty in the pocket to stare down receivers.

Stanzi hasn't had time to blink, much less to stare, so I have no idea who the hell you have been watching.

I admitted to not seeing every play didn't I? I'm just stating what I have seen from the guy.

After the Croyle debacle I am not getting all excited on another rookie QB. Especially a late round pick.

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I admitted to not seeing every play didn't I? I'm just stating what I have seen from the guy.

After the Croyle debacle I am not getting all excited on another rookie QB. Especially a late round pick.

And I'm asking you how the hell you think you saw that when he has not had any time to stare down a receiver?

Last night was the first time he's had any time to stare down a receiver, and he did it once, on the Slate TD.

Every other time he was standing in the pocket, he was clearly moving his head, scanning the field.

08-27-2011, 03:56 PM
And I'm asking you how the hell you think you saw that when he has not had any time to stare down a receiver?

Last night was the first time he's had any time to stare down a receiver, and he did it once, on the Slate TD.

Every other time he was standing in the pocket, he was clearly moving his head, scanning the field.

I'm not getting into this with you mm. Maybe I just witnessed the exact right plays. I don't know. But I know what I saw.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM

watch that play again.

He quickly looks to the checkdown (which was open) before the touchdown pass.

milkman
08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
watch that play again.

He quickly looks to the checkdown (which was open) before the touchdown pass.

Actually, I just did rewatch that play, and you're right, he did come off his first look.

milkman
08-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Also, as I'm rewatching, I'm seeing Gordon playing the nose and getting some push up the middle.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Actually, I just did rewatch that play, and you're right, he did come off his first look.

Kid is unsatisfied with an open checkdown if he can push for the touchdown.

Unlike somebody we have become accustomed to.

DTLB58
08-27-2011, 04:27 PM
It was Moeaki.

He did the exact same thing last year twice, (but on the opposite side if I remember right) but it didn't get caught till after the play and I think both times they were touchdowns that got called back.
He isn't lined up all the way on the LOS, that's why Bowe was waving at him to move up. It only leaves 6 guys on the line and I think at least 7 are required.

I would think that Haley would just be irrate with him still making the same mental error time after time.

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Cassel's poor performance and your underperforming O line are the top story on NFL.com.

Good show.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Also, as I'm rewatching, I'm seeing Gordon playing the nose and getting some push up the middle.

He almost gets a safety in the game.

I bet he's this year's Shaun Smith.

milkman
08-27-2011, 05:13 PM
He almost gets a safety in the game.

I bet he's this year's Shaun Smith.

Unlike Smith, Gordon looks like he might be able to contribute to the rotation on the nose.

Titty Meat
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Gordon > Toribio

whoman69
08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Cassel is frustrated. We're frustrated with him.

J Diddy
08-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Cassel's poor performance and your underperforming O line are the top story on NFL.com.

Good show.

Ramen Noodle Dick.

Why didn't they let stanzi play out the game. I was pissed when they put Palko back in. Did not make any sense to me.

milkman
08-27-2011, 07:01 PM
That right there is a QB believing in his receiver.

milkman
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Laser beam by Stafford on a seam route for teh TD.

evenfall
08-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Cassel is a league average QB. Behind a crappy line, its going to be ugly. Behind a good line, he'd probably be pretty good.

I don't recall the Chiefs ever looking especially good in the preseason, and they didn't last year either. I think everyone ought to grab some valium (quaff it down with whiskey, some of you)

Tribal Warfare
08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Ramen Noodle Dick.

Why didn't they let stanzi play out the game. I was pissed when they put Palko back in. Did not make any sense to me.

They didn't want to cause a QB controversy, because of Cassel sucking ass.

milkman
08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
They didn't want to cause a QB controversy, because of Cassel sucking ass.

You are an idiot.

I don't believe that can be said enough.

You are an idiot.

The Bad Guy
08-27-2011, 08:15 PM
You are an idiot.

I don't believe that can be said enough.

You are an idiot.

Add fucking before idiot for affect.

milkman
08-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Add ****ing before idiot for affect.

Okay.

Tribal, you are a fucking idiot.