PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Getting to 53 players

ChiefGator
08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
One persons thoughts..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/Chiefs%20Getting%20to%2053

QBs
In: (3) Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, Ricky Stanzi. Out: Nobody. Analysis: The only real question coming into the season was whether Palko could survive as the No. 2 QB. In the preseason, he’s done a good job of making something out of nothing. There remains a chance the Chiefs reach for an experienced backup after the roster cuts

RBs
In: (5) Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones, Le'Ron McClain (FB), Jackie Battle, Dexter McCluster. Out: Shane Bannon, Mike Cox, Tervaris Johnson. Analysis: There really wasn’t much of a competition to fill the spots in the backfield for last year’s No. 1 rushing team. Battle is on the bubble, but he’s been very good in the preseason and his special teams play should cement his spot.

TEs
In: (3) Tony Moeaki, Jake O'Connell, Leonard Pope. Out: Cody Slate, Charlie Gantt, Anthony Becht. Analysis: This should be the same trio that was at the position in 2010. O'Connell’s preseason ankle injury could allow Slate (receiver) or Becht (blocker) to be roster factors in the end.

WRs
In: (6) Dwayne Bowe, Steve Breaston, Jonathan Baldwin, Jerheme Urban , Keary Colbert, Verran Tucker . Out: Jeremy Horne, Chandler Williams, Josue Paul, Terrance Copper, Chris Manno, Zeke Markshausen. Analysis: The remake of this position really hit home this year with the additions of Breaston (UFA), Baldwin (draft) and Colbert (street free agent). It should be a battle between Tucker and Copper for that last roster spot, both depending on special teams play.

OL
In (8): Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja, Casey Wiegmann, Jon Asamoah, Barry Richardson, Rodney Hudson, Jared Gaither, Butch Lewis. Out: Darryl Harris, Bobby Greenwood, Ryan O'Callaghan, Chris Harr, Mike Ingersoll, Lucas Patterson, David Mims. Analysis: Gaither was a question mark until he got on the field in preseason game No. 3 and showed he can play, despite continued knee problems. Among those on the outside, Harris and Mims have a chance depending how the numbers fall.

DL
In (7): Glenn Dorsey, Kelly Gregg, Tyson Jackson, Wallace Gilberry, Allen Bailey, Jerrell Powe, Dion Gales. Out: Amon Gordon, Harold Ayodele, Brandon Bair, Anthony Toribio. Analysis: Gregg and Powe will be the nose tackles, with Dorsey, Jackson and Gilberry at DE. Bailey and Gales are guys that can play inside or outside

LBs
In (9): Andy Studebaker, Derrick Johnson, Jovan Belcher, Tamba Hali, Cameron Sheffield, Justin Houston, Demorrio Williams, Cory Greenwood, Justin Cole. Out: Pierre Walters, Amara Kamara, Micah Johnson, Eric Bakhtiari, Gabe Miller. Analysis: A lot of special teams work gets done with the Chiefs at LB, and there could always be a 10th or even 11th backer kept. Sheffield and Houston give the Chiefs a pair of young pass rushers of the edge.

DBs
In (9): Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Kendrick Lewis, Javier Arenas, Jalil Brown, Travis Daniels, Jon McGraw, Donald Washington. Out: Reshard Langford, Javes Lewis, Sabby Piscitelli, Ricky Price, Mario Russell, Demond Washington, Quinten Lawrence. Analysis: Langford, Piscitelli and Lawrence will be in the roster mix until the end. Coaches like the potential of the rookie free agent CB Washington, but he’s likely headed to the practice squad.

Special Teams
In (3): Dustin Colquitt, Ryan Succop, Thomas Gafford. Out: Todd Carter. Analysis: All three are carryovers from last season, and remain a young, talented trio in handling the punting, kicks and snaps.

Bump
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
we're gonna need more than 2 NT's, Gales is out and Torbido is in.

Old Dog
08-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Micah Johnson has played well on special teams as well and has been aroud the ball more often than not when he's gotten playing time. I think he'll make the cut.

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I think Amon Gordon makes this team.

He's played really well at DE, and has been practicing the last week at NT with the second unit.

I still haven't seen whatever it is that anyone thinks that Gales has done.

KCrockaholic
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Did that just say Battle has been "very good" in the pre-season?

:facepalm:

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Micah Johnson has played well on special teams as well and has been aroud the ball more often than not when he's gotten playing time. I think he'll make the cut.

Agreed.

From what I've seen, the only guys that have outplayed him have been DJ, and Belcher, of course, and Cory Greenwood.

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:16 PM

That was my next comment.

Battle has sucked ass.

Bump
08-27-2011, 03:17 PM

"Battle is on the bubble, but he’s been very good in the preseason"

all credibility.......GONE

mcaj22
08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Micah has been good despite that mental error last night to end the game, but it is what it is.

I think Sabby or one of those guys HAS to be able to beat out Donald Washington, no?

putting Demond Washington on the practice squad is a risk, and I think another team will pluck him if they do.

It's going to be really hard for these coaches to cut Copper, he is the special teams ace and no one comes close, I still think he's a lock.

Blick
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Pretty good.

Everyone seems to think Battle is going to get cut. He's going to make it because he's the only guy in a position group of 5 players that plays on coverage teams, and he does a good job there.

Like Battle, I think Copper makes the team because of his special teams play, and his blocking. I don't think Colbert has shown enough to make the team.

I like Horne, but there's simply no room. Tucker is more experienced, so they will probably go with him. Maybe Horne will go to the practice squad.

On the D-line, I might put Amon Gordon on the team instead of Gales, or just add him along with Gales. Maybe take Donald Washington off.

ChiefGator
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
we're gonna need more than 2 NT's, Gales is out and Torbido is in.

Yeah, that one stood out to me as well. Not sure if they would try to squeeze somewhere else and keep Torbido AND gales or Gordon, but I think Torbido sticks.

Yeah.. no doubt. How has looked "very good" again?

KCrockaholic
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Why do people who don't even watch the games write out these things?

I didn't even read the rest of it after the Battle part.

It's embarrassing.

CrazyPhuD
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah.. no doubt. How has looked "very good" again?

Too be fair he has been very good at disturbing the ball around. Nothing wrong with having an unselfish player around who makes sure everyone gets the ball at some time.

Nightfyre
08-27-2011, 03:46 PM
This certainly is a change of pace from three years ago when we were trying to determine which shitty players we were keeping. Now were trying to identify which talented projects we are cutting.

milkman
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Pretty good.

Everyone seems to think Battle is going to get cut. He's going to make it because he's the only guy in a position group of 5 players that plays on coverage teams, and he does a good job there.

Like Battle, I think Copper makes the team because of his special teams play, and his blocking. I don't think Colbert has shown enough to make the team.

I like Horne, but there's simply no room. Tucker is more experienced, so they will probably go with him. Maybe Horne will go to the practice squad.

On the D-line, I might put Amon Gordon on the team instead of Gales, or just add him along with Gales. Maybe take Donald Washington off.

I agree that Copper is almost certainly a lock because of his STs play, but I just don't think Battle is nearly as good or consistent as Copper on STs, so think that someone else can replace his contributions there.

At OLB, Studebaker is that token blue collar guy that every teams just seems to have to have on their team, but I believe that he has not only been outplayed by the usual suspects (Houston, Hali and Sheffield), but was Bakhtiari showed more is his little time in the first game.

Bowser
08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Battle looks like he runs about a 5.4 40 these days.

aturnis
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I really hope Demorrio Williams is out. He lacks the discipline a 3-4 ILB needs to be successful. Also has trouble getting of of blocks. Would fit better in a 4-3.

Okie_Apparition
08-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Is Thomas Jones the emergency long snapper & dire emergency QB or something. Save the COx

Blick
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree that Copper is almost certainly a lock because of his STs play, but I just don't think Battle is nearly as good or consistent as Copper on STs, so think that someone else can replace his contributions there.

At OLB, Studebaker is that token blue collar guy that every teams just seems to have to have on their team, but I believe that he has not only been outplayed by the usual suspects (Houston, Hali and Sheffield), but was Bakhtiari showed more is his little time in the first game.

Battle is consistently one of the first guys down there on kickoff coverage. I'm fine with replacing him, but the Chiefs seems to like him in that role.

Studebaker has more athleticism than he's given credit for. It seems like you are giving him the token white guy scouting report. "Blue collar, high motor...etc." Next thing you know his speed or athleticism is going to be "surprising" or "sneaky". He's a good athlete. His pro day numbers were outstanding.

I liked Bakhtiari a lot in the first game. It's too bad that he got hurt.

With the Chiefs wanting to get a look at Sheffield and Houston, they have given Studebaker's 3rd down snaps to them. I think if Studebaker had been getting consistent snaps as an edge rusher on 3rd downs, he would have shown up a time or two by now.

Make no mistake though, I have no problem giving those snaps to Sheffield and Houston. We're in agreement on how good those guys are.

milkman
08-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Battle is consistently one of the first guys down there on kickoff coverage. I'm fine with replacing him, but the Chiefs seems to like him in that role.

Studebaker has more athleticism than he's given credit for. It seems like you are giving him the token white guy scouting report. "Blue collar, high motor...etc." Next thing you know his speed or athleticism is going to be "surprising" or "sneaky". He's a good athlete. His pro day numbers were outstanding.

I liked Bakhtiari a lot in the first game. It's too bad that he got hurt.

With the Chiefs wanting to get a look at Sheffield and Houston, they have given Studebaker's 3rd down snaps to them. I think if Studebaker had been getting consistent snaps as an edge rusher on 3rd downs, he would have shown up a time or two by now.

Make no mistake though, I have no problem giving those snaps to Sheffield and Houston. We're in agreement on how good those guys are.

I'm giving that blue collar label to Studebaker because that's what he is.

The fact that he put up some outstanding numbers in the combine just illustrates how useless the combine really is as a scouting tool.

Sheffield and Bahktiari are both better athletes on the field than is Studebaker, and as I said elsewhere, the difference between Houston and Studebaker is glaring.

I don't care what he did in the combine, on the field, he doesn't pass the eyeball test, and this is an argument I have been having with BossChief now for over a year.

aturnis
08-27-2011, 04:11 PM
My problem with Studebaker is that he sucks against the run. That, to me, is something that we can let Houston do instead. Studie can stay on the team, I more than expect him to take the place of Vrabel as Haley's example on and off the field guy, but I don't think he should be starting.

Blick
08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
It's hard to get a good read on Studebaker's pass rushing ability when that's not a role the Chiefs are asking him to play.

aturnis
08-27-2011, 04:16 PM
It's hard to get a good read on Studebaker's pass rushing ability when that's not a role the Chiefs are asking him to play.

Who's trying to get a read on them? He's playing first and second down and he's not doing an outstanding job of it.

Blick
08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Who's trying to get a read on them? He's playing first and second down and he's not doing an outstanding job of it.

He was doing fine up until this last game.

Groves
08-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Battle looks like he runs about a 5.4 40 these days.

This brings up a question.

What do veteran "in their prime"NFL RBs run the 40 in? Do their times descend from their combine days because they get older/beat-up/add muscle?

I think of veteran NFL players having more strength than when they first get into the league.

Is this true with speed? Faster than their combine times?

milkman
08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
This brings up a question.

What do veteran "in their prime"NFL RBs run the 40 in? Do their times descend from their combine days because they get older/beat-up/add muscle?

I think of veteran NFL players having more strength than when they first get into the league.

Is this true with speed? Faster than their combine times?

Combine or pro day times are probably the fastest these guys will ever run.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm giving that blue collar label to Studebaker because that's what he is.

The fact that he put up some outstanding numbers in the combine just illustrates how useless the combine really is as a scouting tool.

Sheffield and Bahktiari are both better athletes on the field than is Studebaker, and as I said elsewhere, the difference between Houston and Studebaker is glaring.

I don't care what he did in the combine, on the field, he doesn't pass the eyeball test, and this is an argument I have been having with BossChief now for over a year.

Yup.

Ive stuck by Studebaker and will continue to into the regular season, but the writing is on the wall. Its gonna take an amazing effort from Studebaker for him to be able to fend off Houston for his starting position.

Seems that our ongoing conversations about Studebaker and Richardson have proved that no matter how much research you put into these things, it can still blow up in your face.

Its just a shame we dont have options at RT as we do with LOLB.

BTW, Studebaker never went to the combine. He just held a pro day where lots of scouts attended and itwas all video taped to send to the other teams that didnt attend.

notorious
08-27-2011, 08:45 PM
This certainly is a change of pace from three years ago when we were trying to determine which shitty players we were keeping. Now were trying to identify which talented projects we are cutting.

This.

It shows that we are making real progress when we have to cut OK players instead of dogshit players.

milkman
08-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Yup.

Ive stuck by Studebaker and will continue to into the regular season, but the writing is on the wall. Its gonna take an amazing effort from Studebaker for him to be able to fend off Houston for his starting position.

Seems that our ongoing conversations about Studebaker and Richardson have proved that no matter how much research you put into these things, it can still blow up in your face.

Its just a shame we dont have options at RT as we do with LOLB.

BTW, Studebaker never went to the combine. He just held a pro day where lots of scouts attended and itwas all video taped to send to the other teams that didnt attend.

My argument about Rchardson has always been that he has the physical tools to be dominating, but he lacks focus.

That focus has seemed to have gotten even worse, and I wonder if he's given up with the addition of Gaither.

My argument about Studebaker has always been that he's just a guy, and that hasn't changed.