PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs’ backup QB race heats up after Stanzi looks sharp in loss to Rams

Tribal Warfare
08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Chiefs’ backup QB race heats up after Stanzi looks sharp in loss to Rams (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/27/3104469/chiefs-backup-qb-race-heats-up.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

In the minutes after the Chiefs’ third consecutive preseason loss on Friday, Tyler Palko stood in the Arrowhead Stadium locker room and regretted that his second-half drive ended without a touchdown.

It could have changed so much. With an extra point, the touchdown would’ve given the Chiefs a three-point lead against the St. Louis Rams with a little more than three minutes to play. And perhaps Palko would’ve maintained a noticeable lead over rookie Ricky Stanzi, whose own touchdown drive in the third quarter made the backup quarterback competition more interesting.

“Came up short with that last drive,” Palko said. “We would’ve liked to end it off with a touchdown, but the name of the game is scoring points. We didn’t cap it off.”

As it happened, Chiefs coach Todd Haley opted to send Ryan Succop out for a 21-yard field goal, which was blocked, and Palko didn’t have another chance. The Rams drained the remaining seconds from the clock for a 14-10 victory. And Stanzi appeared to tighten the race to be Matt Cassel’s backup.

Looking poised and sharp, Stanzi completed eight of 14 passes for 121 yards. He finished with a 109.5 passer rating after leading four possessions.

Palko had three chances at a touchdown after leading a drive to the Rams’ 3, but each of his passes fell incomplete. He didn’t get a fourth attempt.

“Obviously you’d like to have one more go,” Palko said, “but I’m not the coach. I don’t get paid the big bucks; he (Haley) gets paid the big bucks to make the decisions. … If you look at it from a time management standpoint, it wasn’t a bad decision. You wanted to walk away with points there. If we make that field goal there, you never know what’s going to happen.”

Afterward, Stanzi said he cared only about improving his play — not where he stands in comparison to Palko.

“My main focus, like I’ve said, is just get in that playbook and just understand it the best I possibly can,” said Stanzi, who was one of the Chiefs’ fifth-round picks in April. “Whatever the coaching staff asks of me, I want to be there and be accountable.”

He said his goal Friday, and in most other appearances, was to jell with his teammates, control the huddle and prove he’s capable of moving the ball. Only one of his possessions ended without a first down, and on his third series, Stanzi was five for six for 57 yards, including a 32-yard strike to Cody Slate for the Chiefs’ only touchdown.

“There were of course ups and downs, and things that we can work on,” Stanzi said. “And I think our main focus is to pick out those things that we did well and build off those, but definitely be critical and try to find the things that we can do better.”

After the touchdown pass, Haley re-inserted Palko into the lineup. Palko finished seven for 12 for 92 yards, and although he attempted a few of the off-balanced and rushed passes that have plagued his preseason, he seemed more comfortable than he’d been in the Chiefs’ previous two contests.

Stanzi said he didn’t question why Palko was sent out for another series.

“You’re in and out, and there’s just a fluctuation of not just the quarterbacks, (but) every single position,” Stanzi said. “You’re bouncing around. That’s the way the preseason goes, and you have to adjust on the fly.”

Palko relieved Cassel in the second quarter; Haley said it was important to see how Palko performed with the first-team offense. Palko, a fifth-year quarterback who has spent time with four NFL teams and playing for the United Football League’s California Redwoods and the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes, completed four of his six first-half passes.

“It’s very critical that we understand who and what everybody is,” said Haley, who praised Palko’s performance Friday.

Asked if he thought he might have lost his advantage on the team’s No. 2 quarterback job, Palko said he wouldn’t think about that.

“I feel like I’ve gotten better every day in training camp, and that’s really my main focus,” he said. “It’s not to look at anything past just getting better every day. I know it sounds boring, but I’m not in a situation where I can really look ahead.”

The Chiefs could bring in an additional quarterback after teams begin making roster cuts this week. The NFL’s first mandatory cut-down date is Tuesday, when rosters must be trimmed to 80 players. Teams must settle on their 53-man rosters by Saturday.

Palko and Stanzi will have three practices this week, including a workout today, before Thursday’s final preseason game at Green Bay. Palko said he needs to take advantage of each of his chances and show that he’s not only capable of leading the Chiefs’ offense, but also of finishing drives with touchdowns.

“Every opportunity you get,” he said, “you’ve got to try to seize the moment and do your job.”

Okie_Apparition
08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
NSFW

Coogs
08-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Palko relieved Cassel in the second quarter; Haley said it was important to see how Palko performed with the first-team offense. Palko, a fifth-year quarterback who has spent time with four NFL teams and playing for the United Football League’s California Redwoods and the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes, completed four of his six first-half passes.

“It’s very critical that we understand who and what everybody is,” said Haley,

I hope this applies this Thursday as well, and Stanzi gets a shot with the #1's.

milkman
08-28-2011, 08:05 AM
I hope this applies this Thursday as well, and Stanzi gets a shot with the #1's.

While I do expect the 1s to get more work in this game than they normally would get in the final preseason game, they won't go more than a quarter, and I highly doubt that Stanzi get any snaps with them.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
While I do expect the 1s to get more work in this game than they normally would get in the final preseason game, they won't go more than a quarter, and I highly doubt that Stanzi get any snaps with them.

I suspect this as well, but it would be nice if maybe that 1st series of the 2nd quarter we could get Stanzi and the #1's... then pull all the starters.

DBOSHO
08-28-2011, 08:14 AM
we're fucked either way if cassel goes down, but we're REALLY fucked if palko is our #2

seeth213
08-28-2011, 08:14 AM
im on board

milkman
08-28-2011, 08:15 AM
im on board

The Stanziwagon is loading up!

RealSNR
08-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Cassel needs all the reps with the ones he can get, even if it won't do much good because he has possibly the worst sense of timing among any starting QB in the NFL

milkman
08-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Cassel needs all the reps with the ones he can get, even if it won't do much good because he has possibly the worst sense of timing among any starting QB in the NFL

Cassel is flawed, no doubt, but have you seen Tavaris Jackson?

Coogs
08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
The Stanziwagon is loading up!

We lose the home opener to the Bills... a game that we could have easily lost last season... and the Luckwagon will probably start taking on passengers too. 'specially with the Lions looking like a pretty fair hurdle to clear in week 2 in Detroit.

RealSNR
08-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Cassel is flawed, no doubt, but have you seen Tavaris Jackson?LMAO Forgot about Seattle's QB situation

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
The Stanziwagon is loading up!The problem is how long before it takes Haley to jump on the wagon if Cassel struggles. He's proven to be a pretty stubborn HC.

boogblaster
08-28-2011, 09:20 AM
the kid is better ... period ....

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:24 AM
The problem is how long before it takes Haley to jump on the wagon if Cassel struggles. He's proven to be a pretty stubborn HC.

As much as I would like the HC to have the final say in this, I think Pioli factors into this decision.

Trading for Cassel was his first move as the GM.

The question to me isn't is Todd Haley too stubborn to make a change.

The question is, if Matt Cassel continues to be Matt Cassel, will Pioli admit that his first big move was a mistake and move on?

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 09:39 AM
As much as I would like the HC to have the final say in this, I think Pioli factors into this decision.

Trading for Cassel was his first move as the GM.

The question to me isn't is Todd Haley too stubborn to make a change.

The question is, if Matt Cassel continues to be Matt Cassel, will Pioli admit that his first big move was a mistake and move on?Yeah I should have included Pioli my post as well. I would love for Cassel to magically amaze us but I also need to see Stanzi up against a 1st team defense like the Ravens before I jump on the wagon.

Also, maybe the fact Pioli/Haley drafted Stanzi they will be more apt to make a switch if necessary knowing that if he works out they can look brilliant.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah I should have included Pioli my post as well. I would love for Cassel to magically amaze us but I also need to see Stanzi up against a 1st team defense like the Ravens before I jump on the wagon.

Also, maybe the fact Pioli/Haley drafted Stanzi they will be more apt to make a switch if necessary knowing that if he works out they can look brilliant.

How about the Packers #1 for a series this week?

BigChiefFan
08-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Cassel needs to get over the mental hump that he looks like he has. Unless he starts out of the gates 6 TDs to 11 INTs, I can't see him being benched this season. He's clearly better than Palko and Stanzi isn't ready. I think Cassel may surprise a few this season. We've got a damn good team and I'm hoping Cassel turns the corner to get this team to playoffs and actually winning a playoff game or three.

Fritz88
08-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Stanzi>Newton
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
How about the Packers #1 for a series this week?Absolutely. I really hope Haley throws Stanzi in second, early enough to run with the big dogs. The way Haley has been throwing in different packages just for evaluation I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

BossChief
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Id like to see Haley do for Stanzi what he did for Palko last week and just out of the blue pull Cassel and simulate a real game situation where Cassel might get hurt and he needs the #2 to show he is ready on a moments notice and put Stanzi in for a series with the ones.

It wont happen, but Id like to see how Stanzi would react.

Trouble is, what does the coaching staff do if Stanzi comes in and leads the team on a touchdown drive?

milkman
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
You can't spell Ricky Stanzi without the lettes StaR!

DTLB58
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
We lose the home opener to the Bills... a game that we could have easily lost last season... and the Luckwagon will probably start taking on passengers too. 'specially with the Lions looking like a pretty fair hurdle to clear in week 2 in Detroit.

I'm thinking the Lions win that game and all hell breaks loose, especially if the Bills upset us in week one.

DTLB58
08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I call Shot-gun on the Stanzi-City Chiefs!

milkman
08-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I call Shot-gun on the Stanzi-City Chiefs!

I own the copyright on "Stanziwagon".

Coogs
08-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm thinking the Lions win that game and all hell breaks loose, especially if the Bills upset us in week one.

Yep! Defense will keep us in the game against the Bills, but the offense, and IMO, the ST's need to step it up a bit, or that game against the Bills could go either way.

Lot's of work to get done in the next 2 weeks.

cdcox
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Sure you want to have a legitimate competition for the backup job, but if the race is even marginally close, you have to go with Stanzi. There are two questions when comparing Stanzi and Palko:

1. Who is your developmental QB? Every NFL team should have a developmental guy on the roster. Someone who, if they developed to their maximum potential could be a legitimate NFL starter. Maybe your starter is getting old. Maybe your starter gets a serious injury that ends his career, causes him to miss significant time, or permanently degrades his playing ability. Does anyone project Tyler Palko as a legitimate NFL starter? Clearly Stanzi does have that potential somewhere down the road if he can develop his game.

2. Who do you put in today if your starter goes down? From what I've seen, Stanzi looks better. Granted he has had less time in the Chiefs offense. But would there be a big difference between Palko and Stanzi that makes you clearly pick one over the other? If there is not a big difference in the outcome of a single game, you would put your developmental guy in, to give him the developmental snaps he needs in front of a real NFL defense.

michaelj_58
08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
LET Stanzi hold the clipboard this year and let's see what Cassel can do with more weapons.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
LET Stanzi hold the clipboard this year and let's see what Cassel can do with more weapons.

Cassel starting is a given. The backup gets snaps in practice and game prep time in case the starter goes down, where the #3 guy runs the scout team.

KurtCobain
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Trouble is, what does the coaching staff do if Stanzi comes in and leads the team on a touchdown drive?

Trouble? Sounds like they'll be thrilled they found their adequate backup to Cassel.

BossChief
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Trouble? Sounds like they'll be thrilled they found their adequate backup to Cassel.

and every time Cassel so much as didn't say god bless you when someone sneezed, reporters would be there asking Haley and Cassel questions about Stanzi and how long this will go on before you would contemplate a move...and so on.

Its obvious these guys dont want any QB controversy.

milkman
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
and every time Cassel so much as didn't say god bless you when someone sneezed, reporters would be there asking Haley and Cassel questions about Stanzi and how long this will go on before you would contemplate a move...and so on.

Its obvious these guys dont want any QB controversy.

I like what I've seen from Stanzi so far, but I think you might be creating a conspiracy inside your head that doesn't exist.

BossChief
08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I like what I've seen from Stanzi so far, but I think you might be creating a conspiracy inside your head that doesn't exist.

possible, I really want Stanzi to succeed and have never really been a fan of Cassel for reasons stated many many times...so that may well be playing into my half assed logic on this one.

Im going off how bad Cassel has looked thus far and thinking it may well go into the regular season.

I hope Im wrong.

milkman
08-28-2011, 11:20 AM
possible, I really want Stanzi to succeed and have never really been a fan of Cassel for reasons stated many many times...so that may well be playing into my half assed logic on this one.

Im going off how bad Cassel has looked thus far and thinking it may well go into the regular season.

I hope Im wrong.

Cassel has certainly looked like he's regressed.

But the fact is, average fan and dumbass media in KC aren't nearly smart enough to create any kind of controversy.

If Matt Cassel continues to be Matt Cassel, it will always be for reasons other than Matt Cassel.

keg in kc
08-28-2011, 11:47 AM
You're not going to get a QB controversy out of anybody sane at this point. Maybe during the year if Cassel goes down with an injury, they go with Stanzi instead of the more likely scenario of bringing in a vet to start in Cassel's place, and then Stanzi plays well in multiple games.

Speaking for myself: I don't care how he looked last week any more than I care how he looked in the first two games, and I don't care how he looks Thursday. Stanzi is a developmental quarterback, and I think you need to stick with that approach. Let him learn on the sidelines and in the film room, play him in an emergency situation if it comes up (you wouldn't have a choice if you're only carrying two QBs...), but don't start him this year under any circumstances. Which means if there is an injury, you find another starter. And that's not to protect Cassel or to avoid the possibility of controversy; that's to protect and develop Stanzi.

Chiefshrink
08-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Id like to see Haley do for Stanzi what he did for Palko last week and just out of the blue pull Cassel and simulate a real game situation where Cassel might get hurt and he needs the #2 to show he is ready on a moments notice and put Stanzi in for a series with the ones.

Yep, and FWIW Palko as well looked better than Cassel. Both Stanzi and Palko exhibit in their demeanor under center as very hungry to make a play and they are not afraid to make a mistake whereas Cassel's demeanor more often than not is "oh sh** I can't throw it there, so I guess I'll hold on to the ball longer and wait for a 'perfect opportunity'(SAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!) He is afraid to fail and that won't work being an NFL QB.

All I know is that when Palko ran the ones that "O" came alive and WRs caught the ball. Kinda like when Gannon was under center, but we won't go there for obvious reasons.:D

Chiefshrink
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Who knows maybe he might let Stanzi do it the 4th game if Haley decides to let any ones go for at least a series or 2.:shrug:

RealSNR
08-28-2011, 12:22 PM
They'll put Stanzi in as the 3rd stringer so he can get some time to learn the playbook. Whatever that means.

Fuck, this lockout fucked us over :shake:

cdcox
08-28-2011, 01:10 PM
that's to protect and develop Stanzi.

I agree that you don't want to throw a developmental QB into the fray too soon. However, I think a limited number of snaps under live action are an essential part of a young QB's development. I think a game or two as the starting QB (with Cassel injured or at the end of the season if we are eliminated) would do wonders for his development even if he went back to the bench for another year or two after that.

Pants
08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
You're not going to get a QB controversy out of anybody sane at this point. Maybe during the year if Cassel goes down with an injury, they go with Stanzi instead of the more likely scenario of bringing in a vet to start in Cassel's place, and then Stanzi plays well in multiple games.

Speaking for myself: I don't care how he looked last week any more than I care how he looked in the first two games, and I don't care how he looks Thursday. Stanzi is a developmental quarterback, and I think you need to stick with that approach. Let him learn on the sidelines and in the film room, play him in an emergency situation if it comes up (you wouldn't have a choice if you're only carrying two QBs...), but don't start him this year under any circumstances. Which means if there is an injury, you find another starter. And that's not to protect Cassel or to avoid the possibility of controversy; that's to protect and develop Stanzi.

Protect Stanzi from what?

Sanka
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Is it wrong to wish Casshole goes down with a season ending injury early on in the season? I know its wrong to wish pain on anybody, but what about the pain I get from watching that shit bag of a QB attempt to be a QB.

Chiefnj2
08-28-2011, 01:29 PM

From a Harrington/Carr career.

BossChief
08-28-2011, 01:30 PM

this

I dont want him to start this year because that would mean the team is doing poorly, not because it would "ruin him" as some here suggest.

Like I said before, any quarterback that would get "ruined" by being played too soon is a quarterback that doesn't have the "mental tools" it takes to win a championship with, anyway. You have to have the ability to learn and adjust on the fly to win the bigger games.

Winners don't make excuses.

BossChief
08-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Is it wrong to wish Casshole goes down with a season ending injury early on in the season? I know its wrong to wish pain on anybody, but what about the pain I get from watching that shit bag of a QB attempt to be a QB.

Of course it is.

Pants
08-28-2011, 01:37 PM

You think that if Carr sat for a year and then got the nod in his 2nd season, the leaky ass OLine wouldn't have ruined him just the same?

Chiefnj2
08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
You think that if Carr sat for a year and then got the nod in his 2nd season, the leaky ass OLine wouldn't have ruined him just the same?

The same OL would have hurt his career, just like there's a good chance that KC's poor pass protection could hurt Stanzi. The Jets protect Sanchez with a slew of former 1st rounders. The Rams spent a bunch of high draft picks on OL the last few years to help protect Bradford.

Plus, whether people like it or not, Cassel had a good year last year. A poor preseason by the ENTIRE first team isn't going to get him yanked.

Easy 6
08-28-2011, 01:54 PM
If Cassel takes his preseason play into the regular, it may be a race for more than backup qb. I'm bout thiiis close to giving up on the guy entirely, he's been mostly ass so far & then i gotta watch a young gun like Bradford friday & Stafford yesterday, launch cruise missiles all over the yard, to go with his nearly flawless preseason, just to rub it in.

It simply doesnt look like any facet of his game has improved, just more inaccuracy & stepping into power throws that come out fluttering in the breeze.

keg in kc
08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
When I say "protect Stanzi" I don't mean that in terms of somehow ruining him. I mean that in terms of letting him spend a year studying not just what we do offensively but what other teams do defensively. It's preparing him for something I don't believe he's anywhere close to ready for in 2011. It's the reason I don't care any more about him looking good against the Rams than I did him looking bad the prior two weeks. Because I believe that playing a few quarters against 3rd and 4th stringers in the 2nd half of a handful of preseason games is not anywhere close to the same thing as running a fully gameplanned NFL offense out of an NFL playbook at full speed, playing against an NFL defense running at full speed with a week's preparation. I think the best possible thing you can do for him is to let him see how the league works for a year (or more), get him acclimated to the speed of the players, get him starting on seeing (and most importantly understanding) what NFL defenses do. Film study, practice, snaps in games later on if the situation warrants it.

Then, once he has a clue what's going on, you can start to get a gauge on how he'll perform.

That's just the way I'd do it. The Philip Rivers/Aaron Rodgers plan of attack (although I would not put him in their category, just using them as examples of how I think it should be done with a developmental QB).

notorious
08-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I find it horrific that we are so desperate at QB we start circle jerking to a 5th rounder.

What will happen when the Chiefs pull the trigger in the 1st round?

Pants
08-28-2011, 02:26 PM
What will happen when the Chiefs pull the trigger in the 1st round?

They won't.

notorious
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM
They won't.

Sad, but true.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
They won't.

If we have an 0-2 start to the season, we might be the early leader in the clubhouse in the chase for Andrew Luck. And the way the starting offense has looked up to this point, unfortunately 0-2 in not out of the question anymore.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2011, 03:17 PM

NFL Defensive Coordinators

Pants
08-28-2011, 03:18 PM
If we have an 0-2 start to the season, we might be the early leader in the clubhouse in the chase for Andrew Luck. And the way the starting offense has looked up to this point, unfortunately 0-2 in not out of the question anymore.

I would do cartwheels around the Arrowhead naked if we drafted Luck, but even if go 0-16 and are in position to grab him, I don't think Pioli pulls the trigger.

notorious
08-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I would do cartwheels around the Arrowhead naked if we drafted Luck, but even if go 0-16 and are in position to grab him, I don't think Pioli pulls the trigger.

That is the only scenario in which I would cease supporting the Chiefs.

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
That is the only scenario in which I would cease supporting the Chiefs.

homophobe

Nightfyre
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Another potential topic for discussion:

Does Scott Pioli have sufficient political capital in KC now to be able to afford admitting Cassel was a mistake? I think he does. I have more faith in this organization now than I have since '97.

notorious
08-28-2011, 03:39 PM
homophobe

That would be a truely retarded move, and although I am retarded myself, that would cause me to stop supporting a retarded franchise.

notorious
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Does Scott Pioli have sufficient political capital in KC now to be able to afford admitting Cassel was a mistake? I think he does. I have more faith in this organization now than I have since '97.

If he admitted it, he would GAIN respect from KC fans.

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2011, 03:41 PM

That would be a truely retarded move, and although I am retarded myself, that would cause me to stop supporting a retarded franchise.

I was joking

notorious
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I was joking

I thought so.

I was joking too, except for the whole "although I am retarded myself" part. I can't run from who I am. :D

mlyonsd
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Does Scott Pioli have sufficient political capital in KC now to be able to afford admitting Cassel was a mistake? I think he does. I have more faith in this organization now than I have since '97.The fact Pioli drafted Stanzi IMO makes it easier for him to be given a chance if he continues to show promise and Cassel falters in the regular season.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 03:50 PM

I don't think there is anyway in heck we are 0-16. But if that were to happen and we were to pass on Luck... :shake:

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
The fact Pioli drafted Stanzi IMO makes it easier for him to be given a chance if he continues to show promise and Cassel falters in the regular season.

I said this before, Cassel isn't as untouchable as he was the past two years because Pioli drafted another one of his "guys" in Stanzi. If Pioli wanted an unquestioned depth chart on the QB side he would've signed another veteran QB.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I want Stanzi to get as much experience time as possible. We need to find out soon whether he is worth developing. We can't be screwing around for 4 years and still not know whether we want him as our QBotF. As far as i'm concerned Cassel can do his 'hand off the ball 3 times' and then take a seat and let Stanzi run the 1's for the rest of the half. Let Palko have the entire 2nd half.

Coogs
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I want Stanzi to get as much experience time as possible. We need to find out soon whether he is worth developing. We can't be screwing around for 4 years and still not know whether we want him as our QBotF. As far as i'm concerned Cassel can do his 'hand off the ball 3 times' and then take a seat and let Stanzi run the 1's for the rest of the half. Let Palko have the entire 2nd half.

I'm good with that! :toast:

Mr. Laz
08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm good with that! :toast:
either Haley is the problem or Cassel is the problem and we need to find out.

Run Stanzi out there and see if the offense picks up or if it's the same marty-esque piece of shit. The bad part is that we only have one more preseason game to work on it.

milkman
08-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Harrington and Carr failed because they simply did not have the tools to succeed.

Harrington, much like Cassel now, struggled with dropback mechanics.

Carr was a guy that locked on his primary receiver even in college, and never learned to go through his progressions and make reads.

As a result, he held the ball entirely too long, and his offensive line took a lot of flak for his failing.

durtyrute
08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Yep, and FWIW Palko as well looked better than Cassel. Both Stanzi and Palko exhibit in their demeanor under center as very hungry to make a play and they are not afraid to make a mistake whereas Cassel's demeanor more often than not is "oh sh** I can't throw it there, so I guess I'll hold on to the ball longer and wait for a 'perfect opportunity'(SAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!) He is afraid to fail and that won't work being an NFL QB.

All I know is that when Palko ran the ones that "O" came alive and WRs caught the ball. Kinda like when Gannon was under center, but we won't go there for obvious reasons.:D

SO MUCH THIS, I'VE USED UP MY THIS FOR TODAY

milkman
08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
The same OL would have hurt his career, just like there's a good chance that KC's poor pass protection could hurt Stanzi. The Jets protect Sanchez with a slew of former 1st rounders. The Rams spent a bunch of high draft picks on OL the last few years to help protect Bradford.

Plus, whether people like it or not, Cassel had a good year last year. A poor preseason by the ENTIRE first team isn't going to get him yanked.

Carr was sacked 41 times in '06, his last season in Houston.

Matt Schaub, behind the essentially the same O-line '07, with one addition, Jordan Black, was sacked 16 times.

milkman
08-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I said this before, Cassel isn't as untouchable as he was the past two years because Pioli drafted another one of his "guys" in Stanzi. If Pioli wanted an unquestioned depth chart on the QB side he would've signed another veteran QB.

You are a fucking idiot.

rocknrolla
08-28-2011, 06:31 PM
If he admitted it, he would GAIN respect from KC fans.

He would gain respect from me.