PDA

View Full Version : Football How are you feeling about the D-Line?

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I think they've looked pretty good throughout the preseason.
Gregg has shown some stoutness against the run. The DE play has been fantastic. Do you guys have any concerns going into the regular season?

milkman
08-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Gregg is going to tighten up our interior defense.

Jerrel Powe has shown some athletic ability and speed.
He plays too high, but has still been a load.
When he learns to play low, he's going to be a beast.

Amon Gordon took some snaps on the nose against the Rams, and looks like he might also be able to contribute to a rotation that allows Gregg to stay fresh.

O.city
08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I have thought Jackson has looked good this preseason when he plays with fire.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
more worried about our linebackers tbh

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Gregg is going to tighten up our interior defense.

Jerrel Powe has shown some athletic ability and speed.
He plays too high, but has still been a load.
When he learns to play low, he's going to be a beast.

Amon Gordon took some snaps on the nose against the Rams, and looks like he might also be able to contribute to a rotation that allows Gregg to stay fresh.

Is this the year Tyson Jackson lives up to the hype?
(I might be trolling a 'lil' bit here)

O.city
08-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Don't think he ever lives up to the 3rd overall pick but i do think he will be much better this year. I am becoming a little worried about our secondary as the ps wears on. hopefully it is just preseason.

Marcellus
08-28-2011, 07:58 PM

I don't think he will ever live up to being #3 but I think it will be his best season yet by a long shot.

Kind of like he played against SD on Monday night last year except for 19 games. :D

BossChief
08-28-2011, 07:59 PM
The starters are well above average and the depth is very talented and young.

Shaid
08-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I think we're fine as long as the LB's fill their gaps correctly.

milkman
08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
more worried about our linebackers tbh

Why?

He'll never live up to the hype, but he can be a solid 5 tech.

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I think we have assembled a pretty solid front 7. If Houston, sheffield, and powe continue to grow we have some good depth and have a great front 7

mcaj22
08-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm hoping for a Glenn Dorsey Pro Bowl campaign season

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping for a Glenn Dorsey Pro Bowl campaign season

Haven't heard his name much this preseason. haven't really looked for him tho.

Buckweath
08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
The starters are well above average and the depth is very talented and young.
Well above average?? Hum only Dorsey can really be considered above average at this point.

I think the Dline is good enough as Im confident Jackson will prove to be just a notch below what Dorsey was last year.

And the overall defense can only go up. I mean, Hali, DJ, Flowers, Carr should stay the same but Berry, Lewis, Belcher should improve a bit and Justin Houston will be a key, if he provides enough pass rush and can be as good a OLB as MOeaki was at TE last year, I'm thinking that defense can be close to top 5.

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I think DJ is going to flourish even more this year. He looks highly motivated this year. I don't think anyone will argue he has the potential to be one of the better ILB in the leage with his athleticism. If Belcher can keep improving and be the thumper, with a true NT infront of them, they can be much better than they were this year.

DTLB58
08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Kinda hard to tell when they play Dion Gales in the 1st Q of the 3rd Pre-Season game while Steven Jackson is running all over their asses.

Buckweath
08-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I think DJ is going to flourish even more this year. He looks highly motivated this year. I don't think anyone will argue he has the potential to be one of the better ILB in the leage with his athleticism. If Belcher can keep improving and be the thumper, with a true NT infront of them, they can be much better than they were this year.

In my mind Derrick Johnson was pretty much as good as Hali last year so I don't think he will be much better this year. You say he has the potential to be one of the better ILB well he already is. The only player on defense who could improve drastically is Berry IMO.

DTLB58
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I think we have assembled a pretty solid front 7. If Houston, sheffield, and powe continue to grow we have some good depth and have a great front 7

I would tend to agree. I thought Gilberry was having such a great camp, havent seen him make a splash in the pre-season games?

Hammock Parties
08-28-2011, 08:29 PM
This is the best front seven* we've had since 97.

We are going to rape faces.

*contingent on Houston and Sheffield continuing to beast

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:33 PM
DJ dropped how many INTs last year that were pretty much for sure td's. If he wants to be considered one of the better ILBs in the NFL he has to make those plays.

milkman
08-28-2011, 08:34 PM
This is the best front seven* we've had since 97.

We are going to rape faces.

*contingent on Houston and Sheffield continuing to beast

And Studebaker finding a good spot on the bench to watch the game.

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:36 PM
The best thing about our defense is that it's young and still has loads of room for improvement. With the d coordinator we have, i don't think there is any doubt that they will continue to grow and improve together as a unit.

Rain Man
08-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I finally got to see a preseason game (the Rams game), and was very impressed by Houston and Sheffield. After Sheffield's injury I'd pretty much written him off completely.

And mein gott, Derrick Johnson was playing at a different speed. Hopefully he's getting it all together this year.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Does Dorsey ever live up to the # 5 pick?
It make's sense that the Chiefs would make him go through pure hell with a variety of D fronts that make absolutely no sense for him to play in. Obviously this was done to make him stronger.
Is this the year he proves the coaching staff right?

Marcellus
08-28-2011, 08:41 PM
It make's sense that the Chiefs would make him go through pure hell with a variety of D fronts that make absolutely no sense for him to play in. Obviously this was done to make him stronger.

He actually played ballz last year. And yes the changes have slowed his development.

He could be PB player this yer so yea, that would live up to expectation assuming he does that several years in a row.

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Dorsey had a great year last year and should have been a pro bowler. He just plays and position that isn't as glamorous as a 4-3 DE therefor doesn't get the pub they do. I feel that he has already lived up to that pick and is an anchor of our defense.

Hammock Parties
08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Dorsey will never make a Pro Bowl.

3-4 ends who are run pluggers don't make the Pro Bowl.

But he is a damn good player and our best defensive lineman. I don't know if he's lived up to his pick but he's certainly one of the best 3-4 ends in football and that's good enough for me.

Marcellus
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Dorsey will never make a Pro Bowl.

3-4 ends who are run pluggers don't make the Pro Bowl.

But he is a damn good player and our best defensive lineman. I don't know if he's lived up to his pick but he's certainly one of the best 3-4 ends in football and that's good enough for me.

Yea, that makes sense because he won't get any sacks and DE make the probowl off of sack numbers alone.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 08:51 PM
How do you guy's feel about the depth behind Gregg? Would you be okay if he went down with an injury week 1?
Are you satisfied with the back-ups? (Powe, etc...)

BossChief
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Losing Gregg early would be crippling to our defense.

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Yes this is very much the truth. After week 8 or so I think it would be managable but still would be a hit.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 08:54 PM

So Powe wouldn't cut the mustard as a starter?

O.city
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I think he will just not early this season.

Simply Red
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Based on the OP's word assembly - I'm now wondering if you're trying to tell us something, zooks.......

Are you finally coming out of the ChiefsFan-Closet? ... are you now one of us..?

NTTAWWT

O.city
08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
I would like to have a little better depth at the two ILB spots but i think we have built a pretty good D.

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I would like to have a little better depth at the two ILB spots but i think we have built a pretty good D.

I think Micah Johnson and Cory Greenwood have looked pretty good this preseason, though I expect that the Chiefs will keep DeMorrio Williams, who has looked like complete ass.

O.city
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I think Micah Johnson and Cory Greenwood have looked pretty good this preseason, though I expect that the Chiefs will keep DeMorrio Williams, who has looked like complete ass.

Yeah that is one way we differ from the Patriot way. We have so many "favorites" we keep around when there are better players on our own roster. I don't get that. I like Micah Johnson and Justin Cole. Havn't paid any attention to Greenwood but I have noticed he is getting a lot of pub.

milkman
08-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah that is one way we differ from the Patriot way. We have so many "favorites" we keep around when there are better players on our own roster. I don't get that. I like Micah Johnson and Justin Cole. Havn't paid any attention to Greenwood but I have noticed he is getting a lot of pub.

Greenwood has been the best ILB on the field not named DJ or Belcher.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't know if he's lived up to his pick but he's certainly one of the best 3-4 ends in football and that's good enough for me.

Considering Pioli didn't draft him its really hard to complain about him being drafted that high.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Based on the OP's word assembly - I'm now wondering if you're trying to tell us something, zooks.......

Are you finally coming out of the ChiefsFan-Closet? ... are you now one of us..?

NTTAWWT

No, no, no... I was in a conversation with my fellow Charger brethren today and we were discussing the current state of the Chargers D-Line. I'm of the opinion that, barring injury, we'll be fine, however several other posters expressed dissenting opinions. I was merely wondering whether this was a league wide phenomenon or if it was unique to Charger fans.

NJChiefsFan
08-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Train has left the station on that one. Most Chiefs fans, myself included, are just looking for production, not compared to a top 3 pick, but just compared to a decent to solid DE. Not having to worry about replacing him is all I am asking for.

When you consider our depth, our front 7 is actually pretty good. We may not have pro-bowlers other than DJ or Tamba, but we do have depth. Behind the assumed top 7, you have Gilberry, Powe, Houston, and Sheffield who have all shown enough that I think its reasonable to expect them to all be a positive influence on the defense this season.

Gilberry can be assumed at this point I think, but the other 3 should help. Powe is going to be very important rotating with Gregg, considering Gregg's age. Houston and Sheffield should add a needed rush across from Hali.

Guys like Studebaker and Jackson may never scare anyone, but they don't have to for this defense to be good. Belcher has looked solid again, proving to me he has no intention of being a stopgap ILB without a huge fight.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Last season in Game 1, I thought Tyson Jackson played a dominant game. In that same game he was injured and the rest of the season went to shit. Do you guys think he's recovered from his injury and is ready to get back to showing the kind of performance he did in that 2010 Game 1?

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Last season in Game 1, I thought Tyson Jackson played a dominant game. In that same game he was injured and the rest of the season went to shit. Do you guys think he's recovered from his injury and is ready to get back to showing the kind of performance he did in that 2010 Game 1?I'm not so sure his play in that game wasn't a fluke.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Simply Red
08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
according to chris collinsworth - you should worry more about Denver. LOL

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
according to chris collinsworth - you should worry more about Denver. LOL

LOL :bong:

Titty Meat
08-28-2011, 10:54 PM
D-line is good it's the middle of the defense that we should be concerned about. Belcher sucks in coverage and we don't have a safety worth a shit outside of Berry.

Gadzooks
08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
D-Line looks good
LBs are questionable/ good
DBs look good.
You guys are fine.

Direckshun
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
It's not a Super Bowl defensive line.

The biggest problem with the defensive line is that unless we have Gilberry in a sub package, we can't get to the QB with our DEs. Dorsey and Jackson are never going to be 8-sacks-a-season types, and while I respect both players immensely, I desperately hope Allen Bailey can progress over the next two seasons, because he's the only one on this team with the build and ability to do everything the DE position is asked to do in the one-gap 3-4.

Powe can progress all he wants, we're going to need more than what he offers. We have no depth at the position, but for now I'm satisfied with Gregg/Powe for 2011.

Our passrushing position looks pretty damn good if we'd flip Houston and Studebaker on the depth chart. Studebaker can play limited reps at LOLB, and Sheffield can spell Hali and race Houston to the QB to ensure that our rush doesn't drop off when Hali is out of the game. So long as all players continue to develop, I think we might actually be set there.

Like I said, the biggest issue is that we cannot generate a rush at DE. Dorsey is special in run defense, and deserves a spot on this defense. We should get a complete evaluation of Jackson by the end of the year, but if neither Dorsey or Jackson are getting pressures, we're going to have to upgrade with someone who will.

Chiefs=Champions
08-29-2011, 06:14 AM

The biggest problem with the defensive line is that unless we have Gilberry in a sub package, we can't get to the QB with our DEs. Dorsey and Jackson are never going to be 8-sacks-a-season types, and while I respect both players immensely, I desperately hope Allen Bailey can progress over the next two seasons, because he's the only one on this team with the build and ability to do everything the DE position is asked to do in the one-gap 3-4.

I dont know that this is right at all. I dont think that the Steelers have real good pass rushing ends.. Afterall its the 3-4...

I think that Houstons potential to this team is very underated. i wouldnt at all be suprised to see him start week 1. If thats the case we have the ability to rush the passer on every down. Gilberry, and who ever comes into the sub packages is just a bonus.

I would also expect Dorseys sack totals to increase a bit with Kelly taking a lot of the Double teams.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I felt better about the DL until the Rams first unit ran the ball down KC's throat the first two drives.

Chiefs=Champions
08-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I felt better about the DL until the Rams first unit ran the ball down KC's throat the first two drives.

They say they ran it right at Jackson. I think they ran it right at the Stude. IMO it was more to do with our linebackers and safetys not coming down to make the play.

Buckweath
08-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Powe can progress all he wants, we're going to need more than what he offers. We have no depth at the position, but for now I'm satisfied with Gregg/Powe for 2011.

Our passrushing position looks pretty damn good if we'd flip Houston and Studebaker on the depth chart. Studebaker can play limited reps at LOLB, and Sheffield can spell Hali and race Houston to the QB to ensure that our rush doesn't drop off when Hali is out of the game. So long as all players continue to develop, I think we might actually be set there.

Like I said, the biggest issue is that we cannot generate a rush at DE. Dorsey is special in run defense, and deserves a spot on this defense. We should get a complete evaluation of Jackson by the end of the year, but if neither Dorsey or Jackson are getting pressures, we're going to have to upgrade with someone who will.

I disagree with you.

First, let's not forget that the Chiefs finished last season 14th in sacks.

Then, people always fall in love with prospects but I really don't think Bailey will become a better overall 3-4 end than either Jackson or Dorsey. He's more likely to be a Gilberry.

In a 3-4 and as Dorsey has said before, the 3-4 end job is to stop the run first and foremost. That's exactly what Dorsey did last year and he was very good at it.

If Tamba Hali had 14.5 sacks, you have to think Dorsey helped him a bit by occupying blockers, in this sense, he's generating pass rush I think.

You also have to realize that last year we had Mike Vrabel at OLB who was awful at passrushing while this year Justin Houston and Sheffield should rack up 4 or 5 sacks each.

What I personnaly want from Dorsey and JAckson is to be stout against the run and on passing plays to occupy blockers and not give up any ground at the line of scrimmage. Then you have Hali, Houston, Stude, Sheffield and Gilberry who will take care of the actual pressure and that should make for a fine passrush. If Jackson, Gregg and Dorsey can just make the QB feel uncomfortable when stepping up in pocket, that will be fine.

You also have to remember that it took Hali 5 seasons before being considered a real passrushing threat (from 8.5 to 14.5 sacks) so it's not impossible that Dorsey and Jackson will also improve a bit in this regard this year or next year and generate more sacks but personnaly I'm not expecting it.

Buckweath
08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
They say they ran it right at Jackson. I think they ran it right at the Stude. IMO it was more to do with our linebackers and safetys not coming down to make the play.

When it's said they ran right at Jackson, it means they ran right at Jackson AND Studebaker and to a lesser extent Belcher. You run to a side, you don't really run at a single player.

the Talking Can
08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
i need to see jackson play well against the run for several games before I'll believe he's anything but an overpaid pussy...

milkman
08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
When it's said they ran right at Jackson, it means they ran right at Jackson AND Studebaker and to a lesser extent Belcher. You run to a side, you don't really run at a single player.

I didn't watch Jackson that closely, but Studebaker was getting pushed around like Pee Wee Herman with Big Bertha.

They kept getting around the edge, and the primary responsibility to turning a play back inside there is the LOLB's

Last year, both Vrabel and Studebaker consistently failed to seal the edge, but most didn't really notice because Brandon Flowers was there to clean it up.

O.city
08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
I didn't watch Jackson that closely, but Studebaker was getting pushed around like Pee Wee Herman with Big Bertha.

They kept getting around the edge, and the primary responsibility to turning a play back inside there is the LOLB's

Last year, both Vrabel and Studebaker consistently failed to seal the edge, but most didn't really notice because Brandon Flowers was there to clean it up.

Jackson, on the few plays I watched him, held ground and occupied two blockers. Studebaker got washed out in those 2 or 3 specific plays and didn't turn it back. Correcto me if i'm wrong but itsn't that the main job of that OLB?

milkman
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Jackson, on the few plays I watched him, held ground and occupied two blockers. Studebaker got washed out in those 2 or 3 specific plays and didn't turn it back. Correcto me if i'm wrong but itsn't that the main job of that OLB?

It is.

That's what being referred to when talking about "sealing the edge".

Chiefs=Champions
08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Exactly my point. Jackson was not at fault for those long runs. Stud failed to hold the edge.

Blick
08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
I hope Gregg holds up better than Casey does at center throughout the season.

Powe has potential, but relying on him to be the primary depth at nose is a concern.

The pass rush should be nasty if Romeo rushes both OLB's consistently. I hate it when we only rush 3 or 4 guys. I know you need to show different looks, but we could really destroy offenses if we commit to getting after the QB.

I hope the coaching staff doesn't give Studebaker the Vrabel treatment.

Chris Meck
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
3-4 defensive ends don't get 8 sacks. 3-4 OLB's do.

AND, we play 2 gap.