PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs No Cause For Concern: Comparing Kansas City Chiefs 2010 And 2011 Preseason Numbers

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 07:23 AM
The Chiefs were equally as frustrating last preseason at this stage and the results were just fine. There's no reason to sound any alarms just yet.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/8/29/2390325/no-cause-for-concern-comparing-kansas-city-chiefs-2010-and-2011

The final game of the preseason is staring Todd Haley and the Chiefs in the face. The regular season is on the horizon. Memories of the surprise of last year's magical 10-win season are now in the rearview mirror, leaving behind only the expectations of the same. Fans seem grateful yet expectant, and the team's uninspiring performance in three preseason games has many fans worried and local writers like the KC Star's Sam Mellinger saying, "Other teams missed their offseasons, too, and at this point they’re way ahead of the Chiefs."

The words "cause for concern" might be the most appropriate way to describe the popular opinion after the Chiefs's stinker of a loss to the St. Louis Rams. But what should Chiefs fans really believe about preseason performance? Let's turn back the clock one year and take a look at some stats that might turn the tables:

1. Turnovers
The preseason version of the Chiefs in 2010 had 8 turnovers through the first 3 preseason games. The regular season version had 14 in 16 regular season games. The Chiefs were fumbling left and right with all of the familiar names involved -- Thomas Jones, Jamaal Charles, Matt Cassel. There was no shortage of interceptions either, with Cassel, Tyler Palko and Brodie Croyle all throwing at least one. By comparison, their competition committed 2. That's 8 turnovers to 8, or a -6 ratio.

Fast forward to a regular season where the Chiefs commit 14 all year, and that same Cassel goes to the Pro Bowl. Cassel threw 7 picks all year, compared to 27 touchdowns. Charles and Jones both fumbled the ball 3 total times each during the regular season -- or once every 5.3 games. As a team, the Chiefs finished 5th overall in the NFL in turnover differential.

2. Key Players' Performances
At this same point last preseason, Tamba Hali had 2 tackles and 0 sacks. Zero. There was absolutely no sign to come of an outside linebacker who would be second in the league in sacks worthy of a $60 million extension. The same could be said of Wallace Gilberry who had 4 tackles and the same amount of sacks as Hali. These two players went on to lead the team's pass rush.

As for the great young secondary that became such a force for the Chiefs last season. Eric Berry had 10 tackles with no peripheral stats to speak of after 3 preseason games. Brandon Flowers had 3 tackles and 0 interceptions. Brandon Carr had 4 tackles with 0 interceptions. Again, there was nothing impressive here to speak of, no dynamic plays to change games or give any indication of future success.

At this point last year, the Kansas City Chiefs were 0-3 and had the same amount of doubters as this year -- murmurs about how the team's lack of success was going to continue and how the Chargers were likely to dominate the division again. The team's readiness was called into question, just like this season. This is nothing new.

Those who have their doubts certainly aren't without merit. After all, Mellinger is absolutely right that every team was facing the same obstacle in terms of player conditioning and readiness, and each of the Chiefs' opponents so far have been crisper at every turn. If the Chiefs had faced another 4 or 6 win season last year, then their sluggish start to the preseason, lack of conditioning and frustrating techniques would warrant the familiar doubts of the recent past. However, Haley's ability to forge a 10-win season with a roster less talented than the one he's working with now should dispel any doubts in the present.

Unless the Chiefs begin to put up numbers in the loss column that actually count, his work with the Chiefs should serve as proof enough to this point. Until then, fans just have to believe a plan is in place, and that Haley will have his players ready for the Buffalo Bills on the 11th -- the very thing he's been saying is his goal all along.

Dave Lane
08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
The Rams game they looked a lot better. I'm not sure the are on the same level as the Pats and Jets but I think we will be competitive with anyone this year.

MIAdragon
08-29-2011, 07:50 AM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/035ostrich_468x538.jpg

MIAdragon
08-29-2011, 07:50 AM
The Rams game they looked a lot better. I'm not sure the are on the same level as the Pats and Jets but I think we will be competitive with anyone this year.

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 07:51 AM
SHOCKING

Lzen
08-29-2011, 08:01 AM
I agree with this article and I have been saying this to any of my friends or family that have been down on the Chiefs. Its just preseason. I don't really think Todd Haley is all that interested in winning exhibition games. His main goal is to evaluate talent and get ready for regular season game 1.

As for the Rams, didn't the Chiefs get down early to the Rams at St. Louis last year (although it was 2 FGs and not 2 TDs), as well? But I seem to recall the Chiefs winning that game fairly easily.

I thought they played pretty well at Baltimore. At least until all the scrubs were in late in the game. Everyone needs to keep in mind that many of those scrubs that are playing late in the game won't even be on the roster here in a couple weeks.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/035ostrich_468x538.jpg

Hey maybe some day someone will come up with some sort of real correlation between the preseason and regular season. Until that happens I will probably continue not giving a shit...laughing at knee jerk reacting chicken little-ers and waiting for the real football to start.

Lzen
08-29-2011, 08:04 AM
I seem to recall the Bills were always 1-3 in preseason in the years that they went to 4 straight Super Bowls. Just sayin'.

RNR
08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
The same people who are posting gloom and doom in preseason will be posting Superbowl! after they dismantle the Bills~

Lzen
08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I also remember when Ryan Leaf and the San Diego Chargers were 5-0 in the preseason his rookie year. How did that turn out?

otherstar
08-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey maybe some day someone will come up with some sort of real correlation between the preseason and regular season. Until that happens I will probably continue not giving a shit...laughing at knee jerk reacting chicken little-ers and waiting for the real football to start.

I couldn't agree more. The pre-season is meaningless. If we're playing like crap once we're down to the final 53 and the games COUNT, then I'll worry.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't think anyone cares if KC wins or loses in preseason. What people care about is the fact that the first team offense looks like old dog turds; especially the starting QB.

Preseason last year Cassel was 38 for 59, with a 5.0 average and 3 TDs to 2 INTs (79.3 rating).

This year he is 12 of 27, with a 4.9 avg and 0 TD to 0 INTs and a 59.5 rating.

It would be nice if the starting QB could actually lead the team to a real scoring drive.

Lzen
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think anyone cares if KC wins or loses in preseason. What people care about is the fact that the first team offense looks like old dog turds; especially the starting QB.

Preseason last year Cassel was 38 for 59, with a 5.0 average and 3 TDs to 2 INTs (79.3 rating).

It would be nice if the starting QB could actually lead the team to a real scoring drive.

In the game against the Rams, it appeared he did that pretty well after the first (crappy) drive or two. But those holding penalties killed the drives. As I recall, a hold on the rookie got a Jamal Charles TD called back. The offensive line didn't play real well in that game.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Whenever any of it is correlated to the regular season I will take notice.

Actually I probably won't. I honestly have no idea how you people put stock in these preseason games. None.

OnTheWarpath15
08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Here's the biggest reason I'm concerned:

The offense - and Cassel especially - started VERY slow last year. Thanks to ST and defense, we started 2-0.

Against SD, Cassel went 10/22 for 68 yards and a TD. We racked up a whopping 197 yards of offense.

Against Cleveland, we didn't score an offensive TD, and Cassel went 16/28 for 176 yards and 2 INT's.

In the two games combined, we only converted 6/26 3rd down attempts. 23%

I know people here like to think Buffalo and Detroit are going to be pushovers, but if we produce at the same level we did in the first two games of 2010, we're not starting 2-0 without a ton of help.

LOCOChief
08-29-2011, 08:42 AM
The same people who are posting gloom and doom in preseason will be posting Superbowl! after they dismantle the Bills~

Congrats, you apparently lived throught the Irene.

boogblaster
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
preseason is looking at talent .. yea would like to see our 1st string O drive and score .. didn't like the lambs driving twice on our starting D either ....

Chiefnj2
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM

The offense - and Cassel especially - started VERY slow last year. Thanks to ST and defense, we started 2-0.

Against SD, Cassel went 10/22 for 68 yards and a TD. We racked up a whopping 197 yards of offense.

Against Cleveland, we didn't score an offensive TD, and Cassel went 16/28 for 176 yards and 2 INT's.

I know people here like to think Buffalo and Detroit are going to be pushovers, but if we produce at the same level we did in the first two games of 2010, we're not starting 2-0 without a ton of help.

Other big concerns:

1. OL - I know it's popular to blame everything on Cassel, but the OL hasn't looked very good.
2. Run defense this past week.
3. 3rd down conversions. Other teams are 50% on 3rd down conversions. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it 3rd and two, or 3rd and 9.
4. WR separation against 1st team defenses.
5. Playcallling.

O.city
08-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Totally agree. We need to come out hot on offense to take pressure off our defense and allow them to play extremely aggressive. I feel like we have the pieces to have an attacking defense but we can't do that if they are on the field 40 minutes a game.

While i'm not extremely upset about the preseason performances, I do wish we showed a little more on offense but it is what it is.

One thing i've been wondering is how we aren't an excellent screen team. It would take pressure off Cassel and with Charles and McCluster in space along with a pretty athletic offensive line it could be scary. We just never seem to get them set up right. Dunno if that's timing or what but imo, that would stop people from throwing the kitchen sink at Cassel.

LOCOChief
08-29-2011, 08:49 AM
After watching Detroits one's against the Patriot one's, that week two game looks like it's going to be a bear.

Dayze
08-29-2011, 09:00 AM

100% agree.
I also think if - as a result of what you highlighted above - we drop those first two against Bills and Lions, we could be in deep doo doo going into the bye from a record standpoint. At that point it'll be hard to climb back especially with the challenging week 11-15 schedule etc.

Crush
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Detroit is going to kill us. So best case scenario is 1-1.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Chargers are going to kill us. /2010

Who is going to cover Vernon Davis? We have no shot against SF. /mecca 2010

DBOSHO
08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
the lions arent that good.

CrazyPhuD
08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I seem to recall the Bills were always 1-3 in preseason in the years that they went to 4 straight Super Bowls. Just sayin'.

I believe the statistical correlation has show that there is little difference for wins in teams that go 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 1-3.

However there was a correlation for sucking in teams that go 0-4.

So the rule was preseason record doesn't matter, unless you go 0-4.

The Franchise
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
the lions arent that good.

Yeah....they are.

DBOSHO
08-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah....they are.

I know. they would really dismantle the patriots if it were a real game.

ROFL

Ill wait till the regular season before I become a believer.

O.city
08-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah....they are.

I think they are too. I stated in another thread that I think they could be the 2nd best team in that division.

I do however think they struggle to defend the run and I don't think that their secondary is good enough yet. That dline covers alot of that tho.

O.city
08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I think that the Lions dline is very good against the pass but not very good against the run. They gave up over 124 yards per game last year. I don't really think Fairley will really help with that so I dunno that they will improve alot on that front this year.

I think we are set up pretty good to beat them. If we run the ball and get after Stafford.

Bearcat
08-29-2011, 09:41 AM

:facepalm:

The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason in 2008.

If the game vs the Patriots was week 1 of the regular season, I'd say the NFL (much less the Detroit Lions) is too flaky week-to-week to really believe the Chiefs have no chance... and people are worried after a preseason game. Again, with the :facepalm:

MIAdragon
08-29-2011, 09:42 AM
After watching Detroits one's against the Patriot one's, that week two game looks like it's going to be a bear.

Ive been saying this for awhile. Its going to be ugly.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2011, 09:43 AM
:facepalm:

The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason in 2008.

It's a good thing they haven't improved since then.

MIAdragon
08-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Dont give a shit about stats or wins in the PS but I dont see how you can have watched this team play and think they are CLOSE to being ready for the 1st game. The people who turn a blind eye are just as bad if not worse than the chicken little-ers.

Bearcat
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a good thing they haven't improved since then.

It's hard to improve on 4-0.... 3-1 in '09 and '10. They could go 4-0 again this year.... but what if Buffalo beats them this week?!??! OMG, the Chiefs will surely go 0-2 if that happens!!!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/oh_noes.gif

Or wait, would that mean the Lions are a fraud? But, it doesn't matter as long as the Chiefs beat the Packers... that would mean so much... PBJ

Valiant
08-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Meh.. I am a huge cassel hater, but it is preseason, does noy matter. Teams are running regular season def/off looks at us. We are vanilla across the board. If he/they look like ass the first couple games that are/should be in our favor then worry.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Dont give a shit about stats or wins in the PS but I dont see how you can have watched this team play and think they are CLOSE to being ready for the 1st game. The people who turn a blind eye are just as bad if not worse than the chicken little-ers.Not in the least. What you and others are doing is having a premature hissy. I don't see the point in getting my panties in a bunch now. If this carries over into the regular season, my vagina will be as bloody as yours is now. :)

FloridaMan88
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Here is the problem with your comparison...

The Chiefs aren't playing the NFC West and a last place schedule this year.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Chargers are going to kill us. /2010

Who is going to cover Vernon Davis? We have no shot against SF. /mecca 2010Don't forget that 0-6 start.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Here is the problem with your comparison...

The Chiefs aren't playing the NFC West and a last place schedule this year.WTF does that have to do with comparing last preseason to this one?

FloridaMan88
08-29-2011, 10:57 AM
WTF does that have to do with comparing last preseason to this one?

Because the implication is we shouldn't worry about the Chiefs crappy preseason since last year the Chiefs had an equally crappy preseason and still made the playoffs.

Shox
08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Generally I agree. The Chiefs are not a deep, nothing we did not already know. Haley and the boys are working the plan which does not involve winning preseason games. So the result is we look like we are really a bad team, which is not the case.

Two things really bother me.

#1. Richardson. He looks horrible. I don't see how he can just turn it on and play a 100 times better on week 1. Unless he plays about a 100 times better it is going to be a real problem.

#2 Cassel. Also has not looked good at all. I know his play depends on very good Oline play. Give him enough time and he can be decent.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Don't forget that 0-6 start.

HOW IS THIS TEAM IMPROVED, MAGIC??? RYAN MATHEWS IS GONNA GO FOR 300, NINERS D IS GONNA DELIVER KILLSHOTS, HOW WE GONNA STOP THE BROWNS RUNNING GAME THEY RAPED US LAST YEAR AND WE AREN'T IMPROVED etc...

It's the same bullshit every year. I remember the "32 D" having a strong preseason on the other side of the coin as well. Thaaaat meant a whole lot.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Dont give a shit about stats or wins in the PS but I dont see how you can have watched this team play and think they are CLOSE to being ready for the 1st game. The people who turn a blind eye are just as bad if not worse than the chicken little-ers.

I don't see how hard this is to grasp.

Because I have this seen this team and other teams play like total shit in the preseason and come out to play just fine in the regular season.

I have also seen teams play well in the preseason and it get worked in the regular season.

WHAT ABOUT 'I DONT SEE A CORRELATION BETWEEN PRESEASON PLAY AND REGULAR SEASON PLAY' DO YOU NOT GET.

Marcellus
08-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Because I have this seen this team and other teams play like total shit in the preseason and come out to play just fine in the regular season.

I have also seen teams play well in the preseason and it get worked in the regular season.

WHAT ABOUT 'I DONT SEE A CORRELATION BETWEEN PRESEASON PLAY AND REGULAR SEASON PLAY' DO YOU NOT GET.

How many carries has Jamaal had this preseason? 6 in the 3 games? 6 attempts for 16 yards and a 2.7ypc avg.:eek: He sucks!

Dwayne Bow has 4 catches in 3 games!:shake: He sucks!

We are screwed if that carries over to the regular season.:D

KChiefs1
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
It's preseason...

Mk19
08-29-2011, 03:19 PM
No Cause For Concern: Comparing Kansas City Chiefs 2010 And 2011 Preseason Numbers
Cause For Concern: Comparing Kansas City Chiefs 2010 And 2011 Schedules

MahiMike
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
It's not how you start but how you finish. All these teams that are in preseason form could peter out come week 14.

DaWolf
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
The other thing that we have to remember is that we are not a team that is currently built to out-talent the other team, we are one of those gameplan type teams that goes into each game with a specific plan to try and exploit the other team's weakness, not one of those teams that goes into a game with the specific intent of imposing our will on the other team and daring them to stop us. So of course, until we get to that point talent-wise, it's more likely than not that we're going to be at a disadvantage every time we go into a game with no gameplan whatsoever.

Personally, I would prefer that we could out-talent and out-think all other teams, but we're not there at this point...

DeezNutz
08-29-2011, 04:26 PM

We very well might; the Bills are a bad football team.

But, damn, going on the road to face the Suhs has me a bit concerned. Dude has looked like one of the most dominant defensive players in the game this preseason.

ModSocks
08-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Lol.

OKay guys....No cause for concern, eh?

So I should be expecting Matt Cassel to throw for 68 yards in the season opener as well? Yeah...no cause for concern there at all...

Ming the Merciless
08-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Fuck the raiders.

But actually you are 100% right unfortunately...

Pasta Little Brioni
08-29-2011, 05:46 PM

But, damn, going on the road to face the Suhs has me a bit concerned. Dude has looked like one of the most dominant defensive players in the game this preseason.

Suh is dominant, but that D as a whole is still lacking. Now a healthy Stafford...

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Lol.

OKay guys....No cause for concern, eh?

So I should be expecting Matt Cassel to throw for 68 yards in the season opener as well? Yeah...no cause for concern there at all...Well, it's Matt Cassel. There is always cause for concern.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Thing is, even though I'm not freaking out about a shitty preseason, I won't be convinced this team has legitimately turned a corner until that rough stretch of NE, Pittsburgh, and GB.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Thing is, even though I'm not freaking out about a shitty preseason, I won't be convinced this team has legitimately turned a corner until that rough stretch of NE, Pittsburgh, and GB.

That is reasonable.

That is the thing. Nobody is crowning their asses.

Anyone who gets too high or low expectations based off of preseason output is pinning their beliefs on something that simply is not an indicator of success.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
That is reasonable.

That is the thing. Nobody is crowning their asses.

Anyone who gets too high or low expectations based off of preseason output is pinning their beliefs on something that simply is not an indicator of success.
Yeah, I've never thought preseason is an accurate barometer of the upcoming season.

Hell, even Green struggled during the preseason while he was here.

keg in kc
08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I would never use preseason as a barometer, but I would also never use last year as a justification for why someone shouldn't worry. They were by far the weakest playoff team in the field (including Seattle) and there are a lot of things that would need to be improved in 2011 for this year's version to end up with the same record, much less a shot at actually competing in a playoff game. But, that said, whether or not those improvements have actually been or are actually being made can't really be construed in August.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 07:31 PM
I would never use preseason as a barometer, but I would also never use last year as a justification for why someone shouldn't worry. They were by far the weakest playoff team in the field (including Seattle) and there are a lot of things that would need to be improved in 2011 for this year's version to end up with the same record, much less a shot at actually competing in a playoff game. But, that said, whether or not those improvements have actually been or are actually being made can't really be construed in August.Worse than Seattle?

We beat them. In their house. They were 7-9. We swept their division. They didn't.

Sure, they won their playoff game. But, Ravens > Saints.

Just sayin...

keg in kc
08-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Worse than Seattle?

We beat them. In their house. They were 7-9. We swept their division. They didn't.

Sure, they won their playoff game. But, Ravens > Saints.

Just sayin...I see the NFL as being divided into 3 segments: good teams, bad teams, and everybody else. I think we and Seattle both fell into that "everybody else" group last year, that big knot of teams in the middle of the league that sits somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6 depending on how the ball bounced, and, in that light, I don't actually think there was all that much difference between us and them last year.

Just as another example, I wouldn't say we were a better team than San Diego last year, either, even though we had a better record and split games with them. I'm not sure we were better than Oakland either.

And in the end, as you mentioned, Seattle did manage to win a playoff game, while we got routed. On our home field.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I think Seattle had a pretty good chance to show they were better than us on their own field. And didn't...

It wasn't even close.

Not to mention the disparity in the talent of the opponent each team played.

The idea that Seattle is better than us is kind of silly the more I think about it.

keg in kc
08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I think Seattle had a pretty good chance to show they were better than us on their own field. And didn't...

It wasn't even close.

Not to mention the disparity in the talent of the opponent each team played.

The idea that Seattle is better than us is kind of silly the more I think about it.You can call it silly all you want, but the fact remains that in the games that matter the most, they beat the then defending world champion, while we got embarrassed on our home field. Now, maybe that was a fluke, and maybe beating the 11-5 Saints was not as impressive as losing to the 12-4 Ravens. Either way, that's really beside the point. I'm not trying to do a side-by-side comparison of the Seahawks and Chiefs, because frankly it's irrelevant. If it bothers you so much, throw out the mention of Seattle all together. Hell, I'll even concede the point and call Kansas City the 11th best team in the 2010 playoffs just to get back to what I was really trying to say, which would, again, be the following:

I would never use preseason as a barometer, but I would also never use last year as a justification for why someone shouldn't worry. They were [one of] the weakest playoff teams in the field and there are a lot of things that would need to be improved in 2011 for this year's version to end up with the same record, much less a shot at actually competing in a playoff game. But, that said, whether or not those improvements have actually been or are actually being made can't really be construed in August.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 08:02 PM
You can call it silly all you want, but the fact remains that in the games that matter the most, they beat the then defending world champion, while we got embarrassed on our home field. Now, maybe that was a fluke, and maybe beating the 11-5 Saints was not as impressive as losing to the 12-4 Ravens. Either way, that's really beside the point. I'm not trying to do a side-by-side comparison of the Seahawks and Chiefs, because frankly it's irrelevant. If it bothers you so much, throw out the mention of Seattle all together. Hell, I'll even concede the point and call Kansas City the 11th best team in the 2010 playoffs just to get back to what I was really trying to say, which would, again, be the following:

I would never use preseason as a barometer, but I would also never use last year as a justification for why someone shouldn't worry. They were [one of] the weakest playoff teams in the field and there are a lot of things that would need to be improved in 2011 for this year's version to end up with the same record, much less a shot at actually competing in a playoff game. But, that said, whether or not those improvements have actually been or are actually being made can't really be construed in August.

I have nothing against your main point. That is why I left it aside. If that bothers you so much* throw out the mention of the game we actually played against Seattle all together.

* Does that sound really silly when I say it as well?

milkman
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Other big concerns:

1. OL - I know it's popular to blame everything on Cassel, but the OL hasn't looked very good.
2. Run defense this past week.
3. 3rd down conversions. Other teams are 50% on 3rd down conversions. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it 3rd and two, or 3rd and 9.
4. WR separation against 1st team defenses.
5. Playcallling.

While I do still think Cassel to blame in part for the OL, I also recognize that this isn't a good line, and Barry Richardson has been absolute garbage.

But, to your last point, playcalling, is it just coincidental that the playcalling looks so much more fluid when Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi are in at QB and actually making throws downfield?

keg in kc
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I have nothing against your main point. That is why I left it aside. If that bothers you so much* throw out the mention of the game we actually played against Seattle all together.

* Does that sound really silly when I say it as well?Yes, it does sound like you're being really silly when you're focusing so much on something that basically has no bearing on the point I'm trying to make.

But, hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself, don't stop on my behalf.

|Zach|
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, it does sound like you're being really silly when you're focusing so much on something that basically has no bearing on the point I'm trying to make.

But, hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself, don't stop on my behalf.

Your keep adding all these fun little asides. I am both bothered by this conversation and using it to feel better about myself.

Who knew a football conversation with you was such an intense emotional roller coaster. I didn't.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2011, 09:32 PM
You can call it silly all you want, but the fact remains that in the games that matter the most, they beat the then defending world champion, while we got embarrassed on our home field. Now, maybe that was a fluke, and maybe beating the 11-5 Saints was not as impressive as losing to the 12-4 Ravens. Either way, that's really beside the point. I'm not trying to do a side-by-side comparison of the Seahawks and Chiefs, because frankly it's irrelevant. If it bothers you so much, throw out the mention of Seattle all together. Hell, I'll even concede the point and call Kansas City the 11th best team in the 2010 playoffs just to get back to what I was really trying to say, which would, again, be the following:

Guess I don't get all the doom and gloom talk? With all the offseason moves and solid draft, I think this team is better than last season.

I still want to see Cassel take the next step, but even if he doesnt, I think he can match what he did last year. At worst (barring injuries) I think we compete for a playoff spot again.

Titty Meat
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM

I said the Detroit game will be a very hard game and was flamed by many of the true fans for saying so.

KcMizzou
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I said the Detroit game will be a very hard game and was flamed by many of the true fans for saying so.If that's true, I can't imagine why. Detroit with a healthy Stafford, and of course Suh, will be tough at home all season. If the Chiefs do win that game... it's a quality win.

Hell, any road win will be a quality win.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I
said the Detroit game will be a very hard game and was flamed by many of the true fans for saying so.
If Stafford stays healthy, Detroit will make some noise this yr.

I have a full-on mancrush on that dude.

Titty Meat
08-29-2011, 09:46 PM
If Suh applies the same pressure on Cassel as he did to Brady theres no way we score 10 points that game.

milkman
08-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Detroit has a weak secondary and Gunther Cunnigham.

As long as Cunningham is running the defense, they'll fdind a way to fuck up.

teedubya
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
We shall see how much we miss Charlie Weis, Id say.

BossChief
08-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I think we match up very well against Detroit.

We have a strength at receiver and they have a weakness.
We have a good secondary to match their weapons to go with a front 7 that should be able to pressure Brokie Stafford.

I think we can make them one dimensional and force Stafford into just enough mistakes to win the game.

I see the Detroit game as a similar matchup to playing SF last year towards the start of the schedule.

Titty Meat
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I think we match up very well against Detroit.

We have a strength at receiver and they have a weakness.
We have a good secondary to match their weapons to go with a front 7 that should be able to pressure Brokie Stafford.

I think we can make them one dimensional and force Stafford into just enough mistakes to win the game.

I see the Detroit game as a similar matchup to playing SF last year towards the start of the schedule.

We're still a pretty bad road team.

BossChief
08-30-2011, 01:59 AM
We're still a pretty bad road team.

dont underestimate the difference the new crop of players we brought in will make or the fact that we have quite a few players in contract years and guys that are just entering their prime years.

I think that this team has a chance to have a really good year.

If we don't, Dick Stanzi takes over early next year or sooner and we have a damn exciting 10+ years.

keg in kc
08-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Your keep adding all these fun little asides. I am both bothered by this conversation and using it to feel better about myself.

Who knew a football conversation with you was such an intense emotional roller coaster. I didn't.That's just me making light of your efforts to troll. I think it's cute. Maybe not that effective.Guess I don't get all the doom and gloom talk? With all the offseason moves and solid draft, I think this team is better than last season.Oh, it's not gloom and doom. I think they'll be better than last season, too. I just happen to also think they'll have to be a lot better to reach 10-6 again. But that's really more of a comment about last year's team than this year's.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I f McCluster had not returned a punt for a TD on opening day against the Chargers we wouldn't have gone to the playoffs. Think about it.

|Zach|
08-30-2011, 05:57 AM
That's just me making light of your efforts to troll. I think it's cute. Maybe not that effective.

Troll? How do you figure? You had multiple thoughts in the post. Most of which I agreed with and had no comment on other than the part where you said we were not as good as Seattle?

I wasn't trashing your main point I was continuing a conversation.

Conversation veers off in different places...I really have no idea why here in this thread you deemed that unacceptable and trolling.

:spock:

Coogs
08-30-2011, 08:30 AM
For me, there is a bit of cause for concern... preseason or not. Last season, expectations were not high comming off of 10 wins in 3 seasons. And Cassel sucked azz not only in preseason, but continued it for several games into the year... even though we won games early in the season. ST's, defense, and huge runs from Charles led to those early victories.

Then, during a blowout loss to the Broncos in Denver, Cassel showed signs of life during the 2nd half, and continued to show that progress down the stretch until the Raiders and Ravens game to end the season. And even though it isn't a real game, his performance in the Pro Bowl resembled his early last season... last 2 games of the year type of play.

His play so far this preseason does not appear to be advanced at all from where he was last preseason. And should he come out of the gate with those same type of performances... we may not get as fortunate as we did last season and win a few games to gain momentum that translated into an early lead in the AFC West. A lead in which we were pretty much able to maintain the whole season.

I can't buy into the whole lockout thing being the culprit either. He has much of the same cast in place as the entire season last year, yet things do not appear to be on the same page. Other teams have new coaching staff, new QB's, new receivers... new whatever... and seem to be putting things together like they have been together for extended periods of time.

Now maybe when we get to Sept. 11 we will come out humming. But for right now I am concerned, and it is because our preseason looks much like last preseason.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2011, 08:36 AM
And even though it isn't a real game, his performance in the Pro Bowl resembled his early last season... last 2 games of the year type of play.

Did you just use the Pro Bowl as a type of legit performance indicator? ROFL

Reerun_KC
08-30-2011, 08:44 AM

I prefer to cherry pick certian instances or games to evaluate his preformance...

Its easier for me to promote my blinders agenda.

but thats just me...

Coogs
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Sorry that is all you got out of my post.

whoman69
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
You won't get Haley to admit it, but he is concerned as well. He has to show a positive face, but there's no way he's happy about the way we've played so far.

milkman
08-30-2011, 09:44 PM
You won't get Haley to admit it, but he is concerned as well. He has to show a positive face, but there's no way he's happy about the way we've played so far.

Has Haley ever actually said somethng really positve about Cassel?

When asked about Cassel, his response is always somethng along the line of "He's working hard" or "He's making progress" or some such.

MIAdragon
09-11-2011, 02:10 PM
bump

Mr. Laz
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I think we match up very well against Detroit.LMAO

dirk digler
09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I think it is now a cause of concern

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
goddamn the whole fucking team needed anal lubricated because of the buttrape that was pounded into KC

memyselfI
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Whoa, you didn't write this. I was wondering how can someone so 'on' about soccer be so off about football?

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I think it is now a cause of concernYep.

I wasnt worried about preseason, because its preseason.

The games count. Now I'm worried.

CrazyPhuD
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I believe the statistical correlation has show that there is little difference for wins in teams that go 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 1-3.

However there was a correlation for sucking in teams that go 0-4.

So the rule was preseason record doesn't matter, unless you go 0-4.

*cough*

Fish
09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

No correlation.... None... LOL preseason..... evidently no basis in comparison...

OnTheWarpath15
09-12-2011, 04:51 PM

*cough*

Good thing no one saw this coming.

213 yards of offense - and what do you know - 23% on 3rd down.

No cause for concern. Please disperse. There is nothing to see here. /CP

BigMeatballDave
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
*cough*

Good thing no one saw this coming.

213 yards of offense - and what do you know - 23% on 3rd down.

No cause for concern. Please disperse. There is nothing to see here. /CP

Awesome. You should join forces with KCChiefsfan88.