PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Workout question...

laser1972
08-29-2011, 12:02 PM
OK, I have been working out at my gym since JAN, i am probably in the best shape of my life, but I am thin, really no muscle (but no belly either), I am also diabetic, so anyone know what I can do to add muscle?..

I do treadmill for about 20-30 min to get the heart started and then weights for the other 30...

I do eat, but I am not that hungry anymore, usually no if any breakfast, small lunch and decent dinner, usually lunch meat and chicken, etc.. No fast food for a while, probably why the weight came off...

I am 5'8, around 145 lbs and almost 40 years old...

Thanks, if anyone could give me any tips, I am not sure about the weight gain powders etc since they are full of sugar, and I want the weight to go to the right place..(not the belly)

LTL
08-29-2011, 12:05 PM
This thread has alot of good info in it.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239431

Wanted to add Silock is a very good at answering any questions and is very knowledgeable as well as others that post in that thread.

Sofa King
08-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Steroids and beer.

Mr. Laz
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't know about the effects of the diabetes .... But seems like you need to really increase your caloric intake. Also do more power lifting, heavier weight and less reps.

you can also use nutrient shakes instead of weight gain powders.

http://www.livewellhomecare.com/product_images/y/879/Ensure_High_1__33122_std.jpg

tooge
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
without knowing the specifics of your dietary requirements due to diabetes and meds, it would be tough to answer. I can say that is certainly seems like your protein intake is not enough though

Kyle DeLexus
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
OK, I have been working out at my gym since JAN, i am probably in the best shape of my life, but I am thin, really no muscle (but no belly either), I am also diabetic, so anyone know what I can do to add muscle?..

I do treadmill for about 20-30 min to get the heart started and then weights for the other 30...

I do eat, but I am not that hungry anymore, usually no if any breakfast, small lunch and decent dinner, usually lunch meat and chicken, etc.. No fast food for a while, probably why the weight came off...

I am 5'8, around 145 lbs and almost 40 years old...

Thanks, if anyone could give me any tips, I am not sure about the weight gain powders etc since they are full of sugar, and I want the weight to go to the right place..(not the belly)

Lift heavy, eat more.

MoreLemonPledge
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Eat, eat, and eat. If you're working out, the weight will go in the right places.

Gravedigger
08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I, as well, don't know much about Diabetes and what you can or cannot have so take that in context.

I started at Lifetime Fitness in February because I used to be a WoW nerd and didn't do much except stay at home. I wanted to change my lifestyle so I hired one of their personal trainers. Personally it was worth it for the shape it put me in as long as I was ready to do the work and not complain. BUT it was alot of money and by alot I mean a ****ing lot of money. So the Personal Trainer is always an option.

As far as things I learned that you can do instead of going that route:

At first I started the total body workout, I needed to strengthen my Core (Abs,Lower Back,Obliques etc) while getting my legs, arms, and chest used to the next phase which was referred to as "Cutting". With the total body workout, I did alot of work with the BOSU Ball (big beach ball looking thing) where I would use it to balance myself while doing certain exercises. Then we would do lunges, sit ups with weights, rows, lat pull downs, pull ups, push ups and all that fun stuff.

After three weeks of the total body workout we started "Cutting". Cutting basically is targeting one part of your body and focusing on that part once every few days. An important step to Cutting is NEVER workout the same muscle group two days in a row. The time your muscles grow the most is when they rest so you want to set up a rotation with at least 24-48 hours in between when you last worked out that portion. You can do Arms, Chest, Core, Legs, and Shoulders.

I could go on forever explaining different exercises for those body parts but you can easily look them up online to get some ideas or see what other people are doing around the gym. ALWAYS have a spotter on the bench press AND when you do Squats with the barbell and Dead Lifts with the barbell. PROPER FORM IS KEY so you don't hurt yourself and put yourself out for awhile. Start light and work your way up, do three sets to start out while increasing weight each set, if you're not increasing weight even by 2.5lbs per time then you're body isn't going to grow like you want it to. The barbell itself should be 45 lbs, so start there and see how it feels, add weight accordingly. For a 145 lbs guy I'm not going to assume what you can or cannot lift but usually 25 lbs are good starting points for dumbells but if thats too much lower it to 20. Be safe, don't be afraid or else that's how you could get hurt by not focusing on your form, and understand that everyone in that gym can help and more often that not will.

If you can eat these things then I would start but like I said I dont know about being a diabetic.

Greek Yogurt
Egg Whites
Meat IE Beef and Chicken
Nuts
Fish Oil Pills; helps with heart health and joint recovery, very good 2 pills one in the morning and one at night.

Also you want to limit your workouts to a total of 30-45 minutes, get in and get out. Theres a fine line between tearing your muscles (allowing them to grow) and blowing them out (slowing their growth). Running on the treadmill every time can be a bad thing too. Just with working out the same muscle twice, by running so much you're impeding your legs muscle growth. You can do a good amount of treadmill on your leg day, but to start off just stretching your legs just do 5-10 minutes at about 3.5 miles per hour, incline optional. This will stretch your legs and speed up your heart rate so your body will burn calories.

morphius
08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
As someone already added, I've always hear that you should lift heavier weights to get bigger. I have the problem in my home gym that I have reached a point where I need heavier dumbbells. I'm 5'9" with a goal of 170 lbs, though in HS I was 5'8' and 145. I look back at pictures of me and think I need to go back and kick that punks ass, lol.

Demonpenz
08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't trust posts on this site about dogs that aren't labled Big Daddy or Mohillbilly, I don't trust anything other posts from Silock about lifting weights, and I only listen to Dane Mccloud about Kip Winger.