PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ Johnson finally reaching elite status

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Chiefs’ Johnson finally reaching elite status
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_chiefs_djs_job-7914420)
Dave Skretta, The Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Derrick Johnson remembers when he first walked into the Kansas City Chiefs' locker-room. He was fresh out of Texas, carrying all the expectations that come with being a first-round draft pick, and there he was surrounded by a bunch of grizzled veterans.

"Now that I look around," Johnson said this week, "I'm one of the older guys on the team."

It's true. Johnson may only be 28 years old, but the middle linebacker is already entering his seventh season in the league. Only seven of the 89 players who the Chiefs brought to training camp have been in the NFL longer, and just two of them are on the defensive side of the ball.

"I kind of figure I'm in the prime of my career right now, mentally and physically," said Johnson, who is coming off easily the best year of his career. "Everything is clicking on all cylinders."

It took a while — six years, 90 games and countless headaches, to be exact.

When he was picked 15th overall in the 2005 draft, many envisioned Johnson as the next Derrick Thomas, the Chiefs' late nine-time Pro Bowl linebacker who represented the perfect blend of speed and athleticism. Even though Thomas was more adept at rushing the quarterback and Johnson at dropping into pass coverage, the two seemed to be cast from the same mould.

Thomas was six-foot-three, 243 pounds in his prime. Johnson is 6-3, 242 right now.

Most of those comparisons were borne out Johnson's rookie season, when he started all 16 games and made 80 tackles and a couple of sacks. But his numbers started to decline the following year, and by 2009 he started just three games for the Chiefs and made 26 tackles all season.

Then something seemed to click last summer. Johnson couldn't quite put his finger on it, but there was a sense of comfort in his second season under head coach Todd Haley, and first-year defensive co-ordinator Romeo Crennel — who has seen just about everything in his 40-year career — managed to get the best out of him from the moment they began working together.

Johnson started all 16 games as the Chiefs went from also-rans to division champions, making a career high 94 tackles, forcing three fumbles and returning an interception for a touchdown.

"You know, Derrick, like I've said, he did some really good things last year and he did some really good things in training camp," Haley said. "But you know, I think Derrick can be even better, and that's the exciting thing for all of us. And I think he's shown some of that right now."

He certainly showed it Friday night against the St. Louis Rams, becoming one of the few bright spots during an abysmal stretch of pre-season games for Kansas City.

Johnson led the team with eight tackles while only playing about a half, and sacked Sam Bradford on third-and-7 early in the second quarter to help force a punt. But the play that really stood out was on the Rams' previous series, after they had already put together two long touchdown drives and had just taken possession of the ball at their own eight-yard line.

It was second down and Bradford dropped back to pass. He looked to his right, then back to his left, and thought he saw Greg Salas coming open. As soon as he released the throw, Johnson jumped into the path and pulled down a highlight-reel interception while tumbling to the ground.

"That was just a phenomenal play," Haley said. "When I watched it on tape, I just rewound it, rewound it, rewound it. The reaction, the ability to catch the ball, hang on when he hit the ground …"

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo even singled out the play in his post-game press conference, calling it the right read by Bradford and a good throw that just ended up with the wrong person.

"Not a lot of guys in this league can make that play," Spagnuolo said. "I thought it was a pretty good throw, and sometimes those things happen when you play against elite players."

The play was especially gratifying to Johnson because, despite all the good things he did last season, he took a lot of grief for what he didn't do: Hold onto a couple of sure interceptions.

"It definitely was one of my bigger plays as far as interceptions, spectacular catches," Johnson said. "He kind of thought his guy was hot routing, wide open, and I just kind of slid under and made the catch. The quarterbacks are so good in this league it has to be a split-second kind of deal."

Haley believes that's the kinds of play Johnson can make regularly now, the kind of play he perhaps wouldn't have made when he was a younger player. And it's the kind of play Johnson will need to make if Kansas City wants to make it back to the playoffs this season.

"He's working hard at it, he's passionate about it, he's a great teammate, and when you can make plays like that, game-changers and get a sack and do some of the things he's been doing, that's good stuff," Haley said. "If we can get him to show up like that throughout the year, that would sure be a good thing for our defense."

pr_capone
08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
About fucking time.

BossChief
08-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I think he will have a much better year in 2011 due to the addition of Kelly Gregg and his ability to keep linemen off the ILBs.

Buck
08-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Um, no.

O.city
08-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I think he will have a much better year in 2011 due to the addition of Kelly Gregg and his ability to keep linemen off the ILBs.

I thought the same thing. I think him and Belcher are that much better with Gregg and even when Powe plays. Powe is still raw but with coaching and gregg in his ear I think he develops this year.

Brock
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Um, no.

Yeah, pretty much.

CrazyPhuD
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
So you're saying the Chiefs finally have an elite Johnson?

Gadzooks
08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
He must have been mentored by Quentin Jammer. Both will never be considered as one of the best at their position due to the slow starts to their career's

Brock
08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
He must have been mentored by Quentin Jammer. Both will never be considered as one of the best at their position due to the slow starts to their career's

Yeah, they're the same, except Jammer isn't good.

Gadzooks
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, they're the same, except Jammer isn't good.

http://pl.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/that-s-what-i-m-talking-about-bitch

chop
08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Waiting the for the post asking if we would rather have drafted Rodgers. 3...2...1

-King-
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Whoa kimosabe, not yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
08-29-2011, 07:27 PM
DJ was good the first part of 2010 and showed flashes. I remember when he killed Bryan Westbrook.

Marcellus
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I have to say I have been shocked. I thought he wouldn't improve.

I guess it goes to show you what coaching can do for a guy.

Herm probably set him back 3 years.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Um, I love cock!.

:drool:

CaliforniaChief
08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm thrilled to see what D.J.'s become. It sounds like he's overcome some personal adversity to get where he is...and the Chiefs rightly rewarded him for it.

Bump
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
we should of drafted Rodgers instead

milkman
08-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I have to say I have been shocked. I thought he wouldn't improve.

I guess it goes to show you what coaching can do for a guy.

Herm probably set him back 3 years.

Add the two years tha Cunther set him back, and you almost had a wasted draft pick.

At the end of the day, QB trumps all.

Demonpenz
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
d

DJ's left nut
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Amazingly enough, DJ will be 29 in November.

He really did waste 2/3 of his career being a floater - damn shame.

Here's hoping we get 3 or 4 great years out of him before age starts to take its toll. That play he made last week was pretty phenomenal. If that's a sign of things to come, he'll be a no-doubt pro-bowler this season and a rock for this defense.

Here's hoping he finally has his shit together.

Demonpenz
08-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I had old ms paint pics in the folder BREAKINGDOWNDJ but they aren't even about him, they are more about Brad Cottom than anyone.

noa
08-30-2011, 09:49 AM
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

boogblaster
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
my pantoon is loaded ....

Demonpenz
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
all aboard

Hammock Parties
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
He really did waste 2/3 of his career being a floater - damn shame.

I don't think he "wasted" 2/3 of his career (BTW, how is five years 2/3 of his career?)

It's not like he was playing at bust level.

He had a good rookie year, was slightly disappointing his 2nd year (even thought he still had 4.5 sacks and 2 FF), and had a good third year (94 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 FF, 2 INT, led the league in tackles for loss). His fourth year was pretty meh.

Then he had the transition year with Haley and then blossomed last year.

But the guy was always going to be a starting-level player in this league somewhere, no matter what.

DJ's left nut
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think he "wasted" 2/3 of his career (BTW, how is five years 2/3 of his career?)

It's not like he was playing at bust level.

He had a good rookie year, was slightly disappointing his 2nd year (even thought he still had 4.5 sacks and 2 FF), and had a good third year (94 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 FF, 2 INT, led the league in tackles for loss). His fourth year was pretty meh.

Then he had the transition year with Haley and then blossomed last year.

But the guy was always going to be a starting-level player in this league somewhere, no matter what.

He's played 6 and your average NFL LBer starts to really decline quickly around 31 yrs old.

I guess his 'career' would encompass those final 2 or 3 'hanging around' years like Donnie Edwards had, but I was speaking to his time as a difference maker/legitimate starter.

He probably only has 3 or 4 more years at that level left. Granted, I shouldn't have counted his 6th season as a 'wasted' year. His 2nd and 3rd years were okay seasons, but they were JAG seasons, IMO. He didn't do anything to establish himself as a guy that was anywhere near irreplaceable.

In either event, when the book is closed on his career, he will have accomplished far less than his talent suggests he should have, IMO.

whoman69
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

If you believe that we should have moved back and we'd still need a LB. Nice being able to look in on that so many years after the fact.