PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs’ Brandon Flowers hopes to bloom this season

Tribal Warfare
08-31-2011, 02:03 AM
Chiefs’ Brandon Flowers hopes to bloom this season (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/30/3110787/chiefs-flowers-believes-he-among.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

For most of his three-plus seasons in Kansas City, cornerback Brandon Flowers has been seen as a defender with elite skills, always on the verge of a breakout season. Now, as Flowers begins his fourth year — and final season of his rookie contract — he said he believes he already has shown that he’s one of the NFL’s best corners.

“I definitely feel like I’m up there,” Flowers said. “You can always get better; don’t get me wrong. But I feel like my play is up there with the tops in the game right now.”

Whether that’s confidence or the belief that he truly is on par with players such as Philadelphia’s Nnamdi Asomugha or the New York Jets’ Darrelle Revis, Flowers said he has shown enough to be considered one of the game’s most dangerous defensive backs.

At least one of his teammates agrees.

“Every time I turn on film and watch myself, then I rewind the play and watch him, it’s like, ‘Man,’ ” said cornerback Brandon Carr, who was drafted along with Flowers in ’08. “… Ever since the day we both stepped on the field, he’s been proving his worth.”

Flowers’ ability has rarely been questioned, but he hasn’t yet put up top-level numbers. He had only two interceptions last year, tied for 58th in the league — Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen, a pass rusher, had the same number of picks — and fewer than Chiefs rookie safeties Eric Berry (four interceptions) and Kendrick Lewis (three). Flowers has never reached a Pro Bowl, and since being drafted in the second round out of Virginia Tech in ’08, he hasn’t finished among the league’s top 10 players in interceptions.

He might not have the dazzling plays of the elite corners, but Flowers is known for being a well-rounded corner whose reliable coverage is spiced with big-play ability. Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Flowers’ belief that he’s among the league’s best is a good thing for the team, and soon, others might share the young cornerback’s opinion.

“Brandon believes that he can be a great corner, and he’s done nothing to show me that he’s not going to continue to improve,” Haley said. “Again, as the defense improves around him, he’s got a chance to really make a big step this year.”

Flowers said making that step partially involves overcoming mental roadblocks. Last year, he said, he became too content to keep plays in front of him, preventing opposing offenses from gaining big yards but also getting in the way of interceptions. He had two picks in the Chiefs’ first three games, one of which he returned for a 91-yard touchdown against Cleveland.

Then, none in the team’s final 13 games. He said he plans to play the 2011 season with the abandon he shelved last year.

“I’m going into this season just having no regrets; going to play ball like I know I can play,” he said. “Some people say I just played the first couple weeks last year. I’m going to be playing the whole year like that: lights out.”

Flowers doesn’t yet have an interception during the preseason, but he also has been limited because of an undisclosed injury. Haley called it a “setback” this week.

Although Flowers hasn’t yet shown the monster plays that would propel him into the national conversation, alongside Asomugha or Revis, he has displayed a rare kind of consistency, which Haley appreciates. The coach has said for years that he prefers steady players who can be counted on; Flowers seems to exemplify that. He has played in 44 of 48 regular-season games in three seasons, and his tackle numbers — 69 in ’08 and 65 each in ’09 and ’10 — suggest that Kansas City knows what it can get from Flowers.

But it was the ’09 season, when he deflected 23 passes — he had 27 combined in his two other seasons — and established a career high with five interceptions that also suggests there could be a higher gear, which Flowers hasn’t consistently reached.

“This is an opportunity for him,” Haley said. “I know he’s excited about this year to take another step.”

If that occurs, Flowers could join Asomugha and Revis in another category: as one of the league’s highest-paid corners. After eight seasons in Oakland, Asomugha signed with Philadelphia for a deal worth a reported $60 million, a year after Revis agreed to a deal with the Jets worth $46 million. Flowers’ rookie contract, which is scheduled to expire after this season, will pay him $555,000 in base salary this season.

Flowers, 25, said he hasn’t heard anything about early talks on a contract extension, though he added that he instructs his agent, Mitch Franklin, to curtail updates unless an agreement is on the horizon. Regardless, he said he hopes that by the end of this season, he won’t be the only one who believes he’s among the NFL’s elite.

“I definitely think I am,” he said. “I mean, time will tell. … I’m getting ready to just go out there, have fun, make plays and get the credit that I feel like I deserve.”

ChiefGator
08-31-2011, 03:53 AM
Doesn't bode well for resigning him.. he's not going to get a salary like Asomugha or Revis.

milkman
08-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Someone should point out to the Babbling dumbass that wrote this stupid shit that interceptions aren't really an indicator of just how good a corner actually is.

Namdi has had only one season in which intercepted more than 1 pass.

Sofa King
08-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Someone should point out to the Babbling dumbass that wrote this stupid shit that interceptions aren't really an indicator of just how good a corner actually is.

Bust

Sofa King
08-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Doesn't bode well for resigning him.. he's not going to get a salary like Asomugha or Revis.

:spock:

Yes it does bode well. He's not going to get as much money as those 2 did, how does that make our chances at resigning him worse?

ThaVirus
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
:spock:

Yes it does bode well. He's not going to get as much money as those 2 did, how does that make our chances at resigning him worse?

Probably because he THINKS he's worth that kind of contract when, in all actuality, he's still a notch or two below those guys.

ModSocks
08-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Probably because he THINKS he's worth that kind of contract when, in all actuality, he's still a notch or two below those guys.

He's a Haley Favorite. We have a TON of cap space. We just made Hali the second richest OLB in the NFL. There are more reasons to believe a deal will get done then there are it won't.

lcarus
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah that is true. One thing I really like about Flowers is how good he is in run support. Great tackler for a corner.

manjy90
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM

Take your "Couch GM" hat off and think about how ridiculous it would be to not resign a 25yr old CB who's been ridiculously good, consistent, and team player. This is a guy who's playing for scraps this year compared to other CBs but you haven't heard a single thought from him about holding out. He's someone you want on your team, a guy you want representing your franchise.

lcarus
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Take your "Couch GM" hat off and think about how ridiculous it would be to not resign a 25yr old CB who's been ridiculously good, consistent, and team player. This is a guy who's playing for scraps this year compared to other CBs but you haven't heard a single thought from him about holding out. He's someone you want on your team, a guy you want representing your franchise.

Yeah he's a must keep player. The way the league is so pass heavy, he's an absolute cornerstone to our defense imo.

Buckweath
08-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah he's a must keep player. The way the league is so pass heavy, he's an absolute cornerstone to our defense imo.

Yeah, we absolutely have to keep him. Can you imagine this defense this year without Flowers for the 16 games?

Wow I love our defense as it is now. The secondary has potentially 3 stars as soon as this year. We have two pro Bowl linebackers and hopefully Houston can have a monster rookie season, that would be a difference maker. And then the Dline should be average but good enough (and you never know maybe Dorsey becomes a probowler even though it's unlikely... after all Tamba Hali after 3 years was not superior to Dorsey).

Mama Hip Rockets
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Did the Flowers not bloom last season?

Buckweath
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Did the Flowers not bloom last season?

Of course, he was he very best corner in the NFL in the first 7 games of last season I think. Go look around NFL forums and you'll see Flowers is largely considered to be a top 5-10 corner but at the same time he's still underrated by the media.

Dante84
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Chiefs’ Brandon Flowers hopes to bloom this season (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/30/3110787/chiefs-flowers-believes-he-among.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas

...one of which he returned for a 91-yard touchdown against Cleveland.

No.

Three7s
08-31-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm hoping he meant 19......

I think if we had any 91 yard INT returns, we'd remember it.