PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley's Conundrum

jlscorpio
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
If Cassel's pre-season production keeps up, and we start off 1-3 or 0-4, do you think Haley would bench Cassel in an effort to save his job? On the other hand, if ever there was a year to get the #1 over all pick, THIS IS IT.

boogblaster
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
maybe .. but doubt it ....

wasi
08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Haley is not on the hot seat.

DMAC
possibly .. possibly not ....

rocknrolla
It's FREAKING preseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz!

milkman
08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
First, Haley's job shouldn't be in jeopardy because of Cassel.

Cassel is on Pioli.

Second, you don't tank a season after 4 games.
You don't want to invite that mentality into your locker room.

jlscorpio
08-31-2011, 08:49 AM

and Cassel can't score on StL's back-ups

BigRichard

It was a question that did not relate to preseason. I think it is a valid one at that.

HemiEd
Didn't X Factor say Cassel is just fine and his pre-season suckage is all just a ruse? :D

I am kind of hoping they play him a whole quarter tomorrow night, but I am not holding my breath.

jlscorpio
08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
I wasn't saying to tank the season. I was saying, if he sticks w/Cassel, and we DO end up w/the worst record/#1 pick...there hasn't been a better year to have that pick if you have QB issues, which we do.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
How is benching Cassel going to save Haley's job?

Deberg_1990
08-31-2011, 08:52 AM
The only way i see Haleys job in Jeopardy is if they regress and only win like 2-4 games. I dont see that happening.

noa
There's no way that we will have the worst record this year. We might be below average, but not bad enough that we should just tank. Frankly, I think Cincy will be the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

wasi
I think 1st team will play the first half.

jlscorpio
they should play him the entire game. He obviously needs the reps.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

I can't see it. Haley's entire approach to preseason has been to get through it healthy. Typically in the 4th game the first unit gets a drive or two. I don't see Haley changing his approach this late in the game.

milkman
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
There's no way that we will have the worst record this year. We might be below average, but not bad enough that we should just tank. Frankly, I think Cincy will be the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seattle might have a say in that.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Seattle might have a say in that.

Not if the 49ers can help it.

HemiEd
08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
I can't see it. Haley's entire approach to preseason has been to get through it healthy. Typically in the 4th game the first unit gets a drive or two. I don't see Haley changing his approach this late in the game.

That is what I expect, but since this year is a lot different due to the lockout, I was hoping the 4th game might have more of the 1s than normal.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 09:03 AM
That is what I expect, but since this year is a lot different due to the lockout, I was hoping the 4th game might have more of the 1s than normal.

They could. I don't see the Packers playing lots of their starters that long. I guess if it makes Haley feel better to have his first unit go against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Hopefully they'll move the ball or their confidence will be shot to hell.

gblowfish
08-31-2011, 09:04 AM
If I had to guess who the worst teams would be this year, my guesses would be:
AFC: Denver, Cincy, Cleveland, Jax.
NFC: Arizona, Carolina, Minnesota, Washington.

Dayze
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM
no way Cassel will be benched.

Haley is fine. As others have mentioned, that turd is all Pioli.

Deberg_1990
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM

Stanzi and Palko fans should be in heaven Thursday night. I predict lots of Stanzi threads Friday morning.

milkman
They could. I don't see the Packers playing lots of their starters that long. I guess if it makes Haley feel better to have his first unit go against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Hopefully they'll move the ball or their confidence will be shot to hell.

The reports from this week's practice, with 1s getting more work than usual in the week prior to the last preseason game suggests that Haley might well be plannng to give the 1s more work than usual.

He's worked this preseason almost in reverse order, and the 1s didn't get nearly as much time n the 3rd game as usual.

wazu
Not if the 49ers can help it.

Don't expect Miami to just roll over and win either.

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2011, 09:08 AM
typically game 3 is the game teams play the starters and game 4 is the last game to evaluate and keep the starters healthy, however with the fucked up offseason a lot of teams are treating their last game like game 3 and will play the starters longer than they usually would.

having said that cassel is simply playing possum and will dominate once the regular season starts.

The Franchise
08-31-2011, 09:09 AM
having said that cassel is simply playing possum and will dominate once the regular season starts.

:rolleyes:

BigRock
08-31-2011, 09:10 AM

His approach was to start slow, get guys in good condition so they aren't out there tearing muscles, and gradually ramp things up. Playing guys longer than normal in the fourth game would fit right along with it.

Hell, if he plays the starters into the 3rd quarter*, then he's basically replicated a normal preseason in a different order. Instead of playing them more each time in games 1-3 and then doing nothing in game 4, he would have done nothing in game 1 and played them more each time in games 2-4.

(*not meant as an endorsement of the idea)

milkman
08-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Even if Kolb isn't as good as they hope him to be, he still is a huge upgrade from the stiffs they trotted out there last year.

The Cards might not be good, but neither will they be as bad as the dregs of the league.

I also think Cleveland will be improved.

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
:rolleyes:

fake fan

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Hell, if he plays the starters into the 3rd quarter*, then he's basically replicated a normal preseason in a different order. Instead of playing them more each time in games 1-3 and then doing nothing in game 4, he would have done nothing in game 1 and played them more each time in games 2-4.

(*not meant as an endorsement of this idea)

Except he's playing them against inferior competition. I think it also increases the risk of injury playing against someone who is likely to be cut in 3 days, since their claim to fame could be "I didn't make it in the NFL, but I'm the guy who knocked [insert starter] out for a few games".

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
If Newton starts from week 1, don't expect the Panthers to win more than 3 games. The kid can't pass.

OnTheWarpath15
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Except he's playing them against inferior competition. I think it also increases the risk of injury playing against someone who is likely to be cut in 3 days, since their claim to fame could be "I didn't make it in the NFL, but I'm the guy who knocked [insert starter] out for a few games".

Don't worry, Green Bay's 2nd teamers are equal to Buffalo's starters.

#cantrememberwhichCPdumbasssaidthis

milkman
08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
If Newton starts from week 1, don't expect the Panthers to win more than 3 games. The kid can't pass.

He can pass.

He just can't do it with any accuracy.

Three7s
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
The Dolphins should be added in there. Any team with Henne as the QB is doomed.

Mojo Jojo
08-31-2011, 09:41 AM

I doubt the first team on both sides of the ball play more than one or two drives.

Sofa King
08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
If Cassel's pre-season production keeps up, and we start off 1-3 or 0-4, do you think Haley would bench Cassel in an effort to save his job? On the other hand, if ever there was a year to get the #1 over all pick, THIS IS IT.

Why do you waste your time thinking about dumb shit like this?

King_Chief_Fan
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM

Pioli won't fire him if that is the case.

Coogs
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

That would be a great scenario. 3 wins could/should get them #1 overall again. If we have a 5 or 6 win season, we would be in range to trade up... even if it is expensive. And, if we win 10-12 and make the playoffs, then QB is probably not an issue here and we can go a different direction in round 1.

noa
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
So basically there are plenty of teams that should be worse than us, even if we take a big step back this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

wasi
08-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Haley has said he took ideas from CFL off-seasons which don't include OTA's or mini-camps. If it's indeed modeled after this then we might see the 1st team play more than a fourth NFL preseason game.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 10:25 AM
I still think Haley is part of the problem.

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm still waiting to see the great WR developer turn a non-first round WR into a starter on this team.

TRR
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Clearly.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm still waiting to see the great WR developer turn a non-first round WR into a starter on this team.

As the HC, he doesn't have the time to spend on each WR that he would as a position coach.

milkman
08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Clearly.
Posted via Mobile Device

This post isn't clear.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 10:39 AM
maybe it is all a 'Cassel problem' but so far Haley looks like Marty jr when it comes to offense.

When anything goes wrong he gets nervous and goes into a offensive shell.

Everyone(including Haley) talks about how preseason is just practice and the Chiefs are just 'working on stuff'. Well ........ the Chiefs should of been working on the passing game all preseason. Spread that shit out and throw it 60 times a game. Offensive line needs to work on pass blocking and blitz pickups. QB's and WR's need to get on the same page and learn to make pre-snap adjustments.

But Haley was afraid he couldn't protect Cassel so the preseason was just a complete waste of time. Our offense looks like the same worthless POS it was in Haley's first season.

Our passing game still looks like it's being run by Gunther Cunningham. Charles is going to be running for his life because the defenses are going to have 10 men in the box.

:mad:

Chiefnj2
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
As the HC, he doesn't have the time to spend on each WR that he would as a position coach.

ID, scout and evaluate someone worth a crap.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Then maybe he shouldn't be increasing his workload by wanting to stick his nose into the offense. Maybe then Weis would still be here and Haley would have more time to deal with whatever he wants.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
And you know that's why Weis left or you surmise that's why Weis left?

noa
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Haley has taken good WRs and made them better, but he didn't find those guys in a grocery store. He was never billed as a guy who could turn anyone into Larry Fitzgerald.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Then maybe he shouldn't be increasing his workload by wanting to stick his nose into the offense. Maybe then Weis would still be here and Haley would have more time to deal with whatever he wants.

Even if the rumors and speculation for the reason that Weis left are true, a point am not willing to conced, one simple fact remains.

This is Todd Haley's team as long as he is the head coach.

It is the OC's responsibility to adjust his philosophy to fit the head coach's philosophy, not the other way around.

If he can't do that, I don't care who he is, he needs to get the **** out.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 10:51 AM
And you know that's why Weis left or you surmise that's why Weis left?
none of us knows why Weis left and probably never will.

But he took a demotion to leave the Chiefs after only 1 year. That screams internally conflict of some kind. Haley vs Weis is the most likely.

HemiEd
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
The reports from this week's practice, with 1s getting more work than usual in the week prior to the last preseason game suggests that Haley might well be plannng to give the 1s more work than usual.

He's worked this preseason almost in reverse order, and the 1s didn't get nearly as much time n the 3rd game as usual.

Yeah, that is what lead to my thinking.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Even if the rumors and speculation for the reason that Weis left are true, a point am not willing to conced, one simple fact remains.

It is the OC's responsibility to adjust his philosophy to fit the head coach's philosophy, not the other way around.

truth

but if this shit don't work then Haley can DIAF fueled by logs from an aids tree because his stubborn ego screwed it up.

MahiMike
08-31-2011, 10:56 AM

I disagree. His approach has been to bring them along slowly. Much slower than other teams. Now with the real season 1 week away, it's time to have an audition. 1st half starters play.

FringeNC
08-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I find it surprising how deep the Cassel-hate is on this board. Re-watch the Seattle game, and then tell me again how bad he is. I'm not convinced he is a very good quarterback, but I am far from convinced in believing he sucks too much to win a playoff game. By the end of the season, we should have a better idea if he needs to be replaced, but at this point, I think it's way too premature to view him as a problem.

MahiMike
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM

I was discussing this in another forum yesterday. I think we'll prolly end up 8-8. We could lose 5 in a row during our tough stretch. At this time, it's possible that Palko comes in to try and salvage the season. Once it's sure it's over, Stanzi gets a shot.

But what the Chiefs do will tell us if they want trade bait for Cassel or not. Benching Cassel would assure we get nothing in return for him.

HemiEd
08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I find it surprising how deep the Cassel-hate is on this board. Re-watch the Seattle game, and then tell me again how bad he is. I'm not convinced he is a very good quarterback, but I am far from convinced in believing he sucks too much to win a playoff game. By the end of the season, we should have a better idea if he needs to be replaced, but at this point, I think it's way too premature to view him as a problem.

No doubt the Seattle game was his dream game, for all of us.

But, it has proven to be the exception, not the norm. If he could play half that good the rest of the games, I doubt you would find much hate for him on this board.

But he has pretty much sucked since that game.

Coogs
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Most here share your view. This is year 4 for Cassel as a starter in the NFL. No more excuses that he lacks experience. He has been given the weapons to be successful, so we should all see, and see early if he has it or not.

Even is the RT position isn't perfect, the OC should be able to come up with some plan to help and give Cassel enough time to go through his reads.

Won't take long, and we will know.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
the OC should be able to come up with some plan to help
still waiting for this

Ming the Merciless
08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Oh god....ANOTHER 'let's tank the season' thread...

Wow...there are a lotta vaginas in the world.

Coogs
08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
still waiting for this

Sad, but true!

Hydrae
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Excellent post!

jlscorpio
08-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Oh god....ANOTHER 'let's tank the season' thread...

Wow...there are a lotta vaginas in the world.

So I take it you missed the comment where I said I'm not saying we should tank the season??? I guess you think Cassel ISN't capable of a 3-4 win season. Maybe you should read the whole thread, dick

rocknrolla
08-31-2011, 12:15 PM
This is the third most retarded thread I've seen here this week. This shit is getting old.

BigRichard
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Bump.

Seems like a pretty valid question now.

Jerm
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
No matter how bad Cassel is, I don't think Pioli and Haley have the balls to bench or cut him...I mean, it was blatantly obvious he should've been pulled today in the 2nd quarter or later for at least one series.

Cassel is immune IMO.

MIAdragon
09-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

still think this?

MIAdragon
09-11-2011, 03:36 PM
No matter how bad Cassel is, I don't think Pioli and Haley have the balls to bench or cut him...I mean, it was blatantly obvious he should've been pulled today in the 2nd quarter or later for at least one series.

Cassel is immune IMO.

not this early into the season, you let him ride it out and hope he gets his shit together for the next game. If be week 4-5 he's still shit then you bench his ass.

jlscorpio
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
so is this still an idiotic post?

jlscorpio
09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Suh's gonna make Haley's job a lot easier next week