PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The sad decline of Ric Flair

Deberg_1990
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Long but fascinating read. Has there ever been a Pro Wrestler who had a well adjusted family life?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6891795/the-wrestler-real-life

Summary:

Today the story is about a man known in the court system as Richard Morgan Fliehr, 62, born in 1949 and adopted by parents who raised him in Minnesota. That’s what he was called this past April, when a judge ejected Fliehr from his Charlotte home because he couldn’t pay his rent. That’s what he was called in May, when he faced an arrest order for an unpaid $35,000 loan. That’s what he’s called on the paychecks from Total Nonstop Action, a second-tier outfit where he’s still compelled to perform despite suffering from alcoholic cardiomyopathy, and where almost everything he earns goes toward old debts: lawyers, ex-wives, the IRS, former business partners, and anyone who made the mistake of lending him money.

Crush
08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Long but fascinating read. Has there ever been a Pro Wrestler who had a well adjusted family life?

I think Shawn Michaels got his life in order.

4th and Long
08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7856563&postcount=7409

Crush
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
The day John Cena leaves the business is the day that I will watch wrestling again.

Radar Chief
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
The day John Cena leaves the business is the day that I will watch wrestling again.

Really? What’s the issue with him?

loochy
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM

His character is not very good and it panders to the little kid crowd that stands for everything we,as older fans, loathe about modern wrestling.

Predarat
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Things really went down hill when the WWF took over WCW.

NaptownChief
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
I guess I'm not shocked as nearly all of them end poorly but would have though Flair might be one of the rare few that had it somewhat together given his longevity.

Radar Chief
08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
His character is not very good and it panders to the little kid crowd that stands for everything we,as older fans, loathe about modern wrestling.

Interesting, didn’t realize there was that much of a shift.

Crush
08-31-2011, 12:57 PM

He is the poor man's Hulk Hogan. His entire career could be described as "Lex Luger 1993: Extended Edition."

MOhillbilly
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I loved the nature boy back when. Friggin wildman.

SnakeXJones
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
nobody can elbow drop a jacket better than flair

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
That man had so many great feuds. Funk, Steamboat, Savage, Austin/Pillman, Luger, Sting, Dusty, and so on.

NaptownChief
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
That man had so many great feuds. Funk, Steamboat, Savage, Austin/Pillman, Luger, Sting, Dusty, and so on.

Apparently you can add 3 ex-wives to that list as well.

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Apparently you can add 3 ex-wives to that list as well.

Depends, did he carry them to at least a **** match?

Radar Chief
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I loved the nature boy back when. Friggin wildman.

His interviews always cracked me up. He was hilarious.

Swanman
08-31-2011, 01:12 PM

Mick Foley has possibly the most well-adjusted family that you can hope for. I think many wrestlers have decent family lives, but it is an uphill battle with them being on the road 250+ days a year and putting their bodies through such hell.

It also doesn't help that the bad cases are so public (Hogan, Flair, Austin, etc.).

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
His interviews always cracked me up. He was hilarious.

Indeed.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HrXTVFx8DXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NaptownChief
08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Depends, did he carry them to at least a **** match?

Also wondered if his daughters boyfriend had the balls to ask for a 5 count when he whipped the Nature Boy's ass?

Demonpenz
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I remember at Bash at the Beach and Fall Brawl he was really dominant. Alot of people don't remember when he was younger, he really put alot of people away with the figure four.

Brock
08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I remember at Bash at the Beach and Fall Brawl he was really dominant. Alot of people don't remember when he was younger, he really put alot of people away with the figure four.

The chops were key in wearing his opponents down. Being slapped in the chest over and over again is tough to come back from.

eazyb81
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
"Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!"

Flair was the best of all-time. Sad to see that his life has taken this turn. I was stunned when I turned the channel a few weeks ago and saw him on TNA.

LiveSteam
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
"Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!"

Good God your gay

eazyb81
08-31-2011, 01:26 PM
The chops were key in wearing his opponents down. Being slapped in the chest over and over again is tough to come back from.

and it is pretty degrading to see him strut across the ring after the chops.

eazyb81
08-31-2011, 01:27 PM
God your gay

go play with your toy trains.

LiveSteam
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
go play with your toy trains.

Go play with your pecker

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WPQ4Nhhwi3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
wow... what a fanboy

all the goofy,fake soap opera type stuff that goes on and Cena is your breaking point?

LMAO

eazyb81
Go play with your pecker

Really? Go play with my pecker?

I still don't believe you are an old guy. You can't be older than 14.

King_Chief_Fan

Flair was the best of all-time. Sad to see that his life has taken this turn. I was stunned when I turned the channel a few weeks ago and saw him on TNA.

wait...pro wrestling is real.....what?

King_Chief_Fan
08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
wow... what a fanboy

all the goofy,fake soap opera type stuff that goes on and Cena is your breaking point?

LMAO

ROFL

LiveSteam
08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Really? Go play with my pecker?

I still don't believe you are an old guy. You can't be older than 14.

14 year old lil boy. You would like that wouldn't you. pillowbiter

This is more your speed aint it ?

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dFtLONl4cNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eazyb81
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
14 year old lil boy. You would like that wouldn't you. pillowbiter

Superb flame. :thumb:

Donger
Did he win the Worst Actor award or something?

SLAG
I want to know wth that big lump in his back was

Radar Chief
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BvTNyKIGXiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BvTNyKIGXiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

LiveSteam
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM

ROFL

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
wow... what a fanboy

LMAO

Actually it is because his schtick has been done before from 1984 to 1996. It sucked then and it sucks now.

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Wrestling is fake? No shit Sherlock. However, Flair was one of the greatest in the business.

SLAG
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a1o82BVKFp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Laz
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Actually it is because his schtick has been done before from 1984 to 1996. It sucked then and it sucks now.
almost ALL of the schtick has been done over and over again.

good guy turns bad
bad guy turns good
betrayal
crowd pandering
crowd insulting

you can take most of the concepts directly from traditional T.V. Soap Operas.

For some reason all the fanboys got their wrestling tights in a bunch about Cena. He isn't any worse a wrestler or fake than 70% of the other guys but the anti Cena movement started and now all the wrestling diehards considering it a point of pride to hate Cena. It's the 'in' thing to do. Whatever.

I stopped watching it a few years ago when they stopped showing boobies and ass as much.

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
almost ALL of the schtick has been done over and over again.

good guy turns bad
bad guy turns good
betrayal
crowd pandering
crowd insulting

you can take most of the concepts directly from traditional T.V. Soap Operas.

For some reason all the fanboys got their wrestling tights in a bunch about Cena. He isn't any worse a wrestler or fake than 70% of the other guys but the anti Cena movement started and now all the wrestling diehards considering it a point of pride to hate Cena. It's the 'in' thing to do. Whatever.

I stopped watching it a few years ago when they stopped showing boobies and ass as much.

Except Cena has the personality of wet cardboard. Hell, Billy Gunn is a more interesting character than Cena.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
its been known for a while that Ric Flair has continued wrestling for a long time because he was badly in debt....despite all of the fame and money he was making etc.

i just don't understand how some people can be so foolish with money, especially when they rake in as much as some do.

Mike Tyson, MC Hammer, Ric Flair.....hell even Hulk Hogan is having money issues, he probably won't have a dime either when he (if ever, if that gives you a hint as to why he's still in the wrestling biz) retires.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM

this video never gets old... LOL

loochy
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Except Cena has the personality of wet cardboard. Hell, Billy Gunn is a more interesting character than Cena.

I've got two words for ya!

SUHKKKK ITTTT!

Crush
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM

SUHKKKK ITTTT!

Talk about a tag team that was in the right place at the right time.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 02:01 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8ReWhx8X3iY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone remember this classic movie? ROFL

Joan Severance is hot.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM

SUHKKKK ITTTT!

IM AN ASS MAN!!!! ROFL I loved Billy Gunn

Even loved it more when The Rock made fun of Billy Gunn

loochy
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
"Oh, you didnt know? Your ass better caaaaalllll somebody! Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of all ages: D-Generation X proudly brings to you The World Wrestling Federation TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS OF THE WOOORLD! The Road Dogg Jesse James, The Bad Ass Billy Gunn, The New Age Outlaws!"

"... and if you're not down with that, we've got two words for ya! SUCK IT!"

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 02:04 PM
the Fame-ASS-er (his finishing move)

BigCatDaddy
its been known for a while that Ric Flair has continued wrestling for a long time because he was badly in debt....despite all of the fame and money he was making etc.

i just don't understand how some people can be so foolish with money, especially when they rake in as much as some do.

Mike Tyson, MC Hammer, Ric Flair.....hell even Hulk Hogan is having money issues, he probably won't have a dime either when he (if ever, if that gives you a hint as to why he's still in the wrestling biz) retires.

It's just a nasty trap man. An increase in revenue always seems to be matched my an increase in spending. Me and my wife have probably doubled our normal middle class income the last few years with some outside business ventures and now I piss away money that would have been a big deal not so long ago. We keep meaning to just sit down, make a spending plan, and stick to it.

Ming the Merciless
"Oh, you didnt know? Your ass better caaaaalllll somebody!

Best intro phrase ever

Tangent:

If you haven't seen the movie "The Wrestler" , its pretty god damn ****ing good...Netflix it now.

BigCatDaddy
08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
"Oh, you didnt know? Your ass better caaaaalllll somebody! Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of all ages: D-Generation X proudly brings to you The World Wrestling Federation TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS OF THE WOOORLD! The Road Dogg Jesse James, The Bad Ass Billy Gunn, The New Age Outlaws!"

I had a Road Dogg shirt :facepalm:

loochy
08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

Was it the stupid DX jersey? Jeez those looked awful.

BigCatDaddy
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Was it the stupid DX jersey? Jeez those looked awful.

Nah, it had a marijuana leaf or something related to weed on it.

SLAG
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM

I had a NWO shirt

Loved me some NWO

BigCatDaddy
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I had a NWO shirt

Loved me some NWO

Me and four or five other guys got that shirt down at Muncipal during a house show. We all wore them to school the next day and we later found out we ended up some administrators list of potential antarchist type gang members. They had no idea NWO was just a wrestling group.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I had a nWo shirt, Austin316 shirt and 2 Rock shirts LOL.

Wrestling was badass during the late 90's/early 00's

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Me and four or five other guys got that shirt down at Muncipal during a house show. We all wore them to school the next day and we later found out we ended up some administrators list of potential antarchist type gang members. They had no idea NWO was just a wrestling group.

same thing happened at our school.

god administrators these days are fucking stupid nutjobs.

uh oh A FIST FIGHT......better suspend everyone involved or else some parent will sue!!! :rolleyes:

4th and Long
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I had a nWo shirt, Austin316 shirt and 2 Rock shirts LOL.

Wrestling was badass during the late 90's/early 00's
I had a Handsome Harley Race t-shirt and a Bob Geigel t-shirt, but hey, I'm old.

BigCatDaddy
08-31-2011, 02:36 PM
same thing happened at our school.

god administrators these days are ****ing stupid nutjobs.

uh oh A FIST FIGHT......better suspend everyone involved or else some parent will sue!!! :rolleyes:

We were all part of the in crowd on the sports teams and such so that was really weird. If we all went and played Highlander or some other weird shit after school then sure put me on the damn list.

Gadzooks
08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Things really went down hill when the WWF took over WCW.

Things really went down hill when the Hogan, Macho Man, Elizabeth love triangle plot happened. (Good gravy, I'm old).
:skip:

4th and Long
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Things really went down hill when the Hogan, Macho Man, Elizabeth love triangle plot happened. (Good gravy, I'm old).
If you remember Bob Geigel, Handsome Harley Race, and the rest of the Midwest Wrestling Association on TV, on Sundays, then you're old.

The Rick
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Saw a Bill Simmons article recently where he talked about how cool of a birthday gift it would be for his wife to hire that guy to do that intro for Simmons at his birthday party when he walked in. ROFL

McWickedson
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YcsazQBZUAM/TTDGiHezOLI/AAAAAAAAARo/iDVH1uk5M7k/s1600/visual_alle_werthers_ch.jpg

stonedstooge
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
If you remember Bob Geigel, Handsome Harley Race, and the rest of the Midwest Wrestling Association on TV, on Sundays, then you're old.

Remember Gus Karris? He talked like he had been hit in the mouth with a sledgehammer

LTL
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM

That was back when WCW was called the NWA. Whomever was the NWA champ was would come through and wrestle the Midwest champ. I remember some of those guy though, Bulldog Bob Brown, Rufus Jones, Mike George, Bruiser Bob Sweetan. It was kinda cool at the time because the big names like Flair Rhodes would even come to the small town and wrestle in gyms of crowds less than 200 people. No barricades or anything separating the crowd from the wrestler so when we a guy thrown out of the ring, good chance he landed right at your feet.

Mosbonian
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM

You forgot Danny Little Bear, Baron Von Raschke, Bob Brown...

And yes I am old.

Mosbonian
08-31-2011, 03:18 PM
And if you remember the wrestling that came out of St. Joe then you should remember Mert & Gert, the 2 old ladies that were always next to the ring beating on the mat with their canes.

That was before they put a buffer zone between the wrestlers and the fans.

Radar Chief
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Bull Dog Bob Brown visited our junior high once.
There was a group of us on the playground chucking a football around and when he arrived he walked straight over to the playground and got in on the game. That was pretty awesome, I always thought highly of the guy after that.

philfree
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
I remember the phrase at the end of the telecast "And watch out for flying chairs!" That's old.

RNR
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
You forgot Danny Little Bear, Baron Von Raschke, Bob Brown...

And yes I am old.

Teddy Atlas~

Titty Meat
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

philfree
08-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Teddy Atlas~

Gorgeous George and Gorgeous George Jr.

Mosbonian
08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
So many of the wrestlers have such messed up lives....when I was living just outside of Charlotte I got to meet a couple of them who had pretty decent family lives considering.

I actually met Steve Borden aka Sting...he was a pretty decent guy. Poor guy couldn't go anywhere without someone wanting him to do his trademark yell. He was happy when someone just acted like a normal person around him.

Also met Ricky Steamboat....he acted just like the same persona in real life that you saw on the screen. Actually met him in the airport after he had retired (for the first time).

Both of them, at the time, had pretty decent lives going.

Mosbonian
08-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Teddy Atlas~

Tony Atlas...

Valiant
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM

They have reruns on one of the local sports channels. They also show kc restling league. It is bad.

SLAG
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM

I went to High School with Handsome Harley Race's Grand daughter

loochy
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
I went to High School with Handsome Harley Race's Grand daughter

was she hot?

SLAG
08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
was she hot?

Yeah she was pretty cute - I would have hit it

SAUTO
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM

shit my step sister's father is married to harley's ex wife and they used to hang out quite a bit.

he is a funny dude if you can understand the words he's saying

RNR
Gorgeous George and Gorgeous George Jr.

Back in 1989 I worked with a guy who knew Sergeant Slaughter. He was doing a stunt tug of war with a monster car built by Cliff Starbird for the Darrel Starbird rod and custom show. I was still fairly stocky built and he asked me if I wanted to get into the show free and make $50 bucks. I thought what the heck and did the tug of war thing with Slaughter. My son was just a tyke and got a big bang out of meeting Sergeant Slaughter. He introduced us as a team he had been training for 6 months in a secret location.

As I walked on stage he said my name and listed me at 6'2 and 225 lbs lol at the time I was 5'9 and weighed a little over 200 lbs. They had a stage with a huge mound of dirt in front of it. They had sheets of plywood with some sort of oil on them on top of the dirt. Nobody seemed to notice the car was not locked in 4 wheel drive. As we pulled on the rope the back tires just spun and smoked. I was amazed how many people were buying this sham. All went well until the car moved far enough forward to grab dirt. We all went flying forward with a couple guys taking a tumble. As Cliff backed the car up to get back on the oiled down plywood Slaughter ran out there and grabbed the rope and commanded us to PULL! The rest of the show went off with out a hitch lol~

Radar Chief
was she hot?

Old Army buddy was from Charlotte and claimed he went to high school with Steamboat’s daughter. Said she was a hot little freaky thing back in the day.

philfree
08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Back in 1989 I worked with a guy who knew Sergeant Slaughter. He was doing a stunt tug of war with a monster car built by Cliff Starbird for the Darrel Starbird rod and custom show. I was still fairly stocky built and he asked me if I wanted to get into the show free and make $50 bucks. I thought what the heck and did the tug of war thing with Slaughter. My son was just a tyke and got a big bang out of meeting Sergeant Slaughter. He introduced us as a team he had been training for 6 months in a secret location.

As I walked on stage he said my name and listed me at 6'2 and 225 lbs lol at the time I was 5'9 and weighed a little over 200 lbs. They had a stage with a huge mound of dirt in front of it. They had sheets of plywood with some sort of oil on them on top of the dirt. Nobody seemed to notice the car was not locked in 4 wheel drive. As we pulled on the rope the back tires just spun and smoked. I was amazed how many people were buying this sham. All went well until the car moved far enough forward to grab dirt. We all went flying forward with a couple guys taking a tumble. As Cliff backed the car up to get back on the oiled down plywood Slaughter ran out there and grabbed the rope and commanded us to PULL! The rest of the show went off with out a hitch lol~

LOL that's a great story.

CoMoChief
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Saw a Bill Simmons article recently where he talked about how cool of a birthday gift it would be for his wife to hire that guy to do that intro for Simmons at his birthday party when he walked in. ROFL

I think you're talking about WWE's ring announcer Howard Finkel?

And actually he did do something like this, for a guy and his wedding reception when they announced the wedding party lol.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xE24gFVY4PU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
08-31-2011, 06:40 PM

Ahh, great stuff.

WilliamTheIrish
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Tony Atlas...

In the original midwest NWA it was Omar Atlas.

And one of the best matches ever was a late 70's early 80's match between Flair and King Kong Bruiser Brody.

First time Flair ever had the FF reversed on him. Bruiser Brody won the title that night in the Municipal Auditorium. However, while the ref was knocked down, Brody tossed Flair over the top rope. The title was taken away after a 2nd ref came into the ring to give the DQ.

I'll never forget Bill Kurston's call: "And WHO will go into that locker room and take away the 10 pounds of gold from Bruiser Brody!!!" ( fade to black)

Great days my friends...

Mosbonian
08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
In the original midwest NWA it was Omar Atlas.

Yep...forgot all about that. Good catch.