PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Dances Line of Hypocrisy with Personal Conduct Policy

BigRichard
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Goodell needs to go in my opinion...

Boxing gloves or kid gloves?

Over here, James Harrison, linebacker, Pro Bowler, fearsome pass rusher for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Harrison is also a candid, unrepentant, up-yours kind of guy. He referred to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as a "puppet'' and "the devil'' in a recent magazine story.

Across the way, Cedric Benson, quiet, thoughtful running back, twice a 1,000-yard rusher for the Bengals, a bright light on a dim NFL team in Cincinnati. Benson has also been arrested four times in three years and is currently in the Travis County Jai in Austin, Texas, after pleading no contest to a 2010 assault charge.

Which player gets the kid gloves from the NFL, and which endures the standing-eight?

It's a rhetorical question to most who follow the league and the arbitrary discipline handed down by commissioner Roger Goodell. Yet it speaks to a problem that isn't going away.

Last fall, Goodell fined Harrison more than $100,000 for on-field hits deemed unsafe. The commissioner docked him $75,000 for two hits in one game, against Cleveland wideouts Josh Cribbs and Mohammed Massaquoi. Neither hit drew a penalty. A few months earlier, Goodell had met with Benson to discuss the assault charge for which Benson is now doing time. Goodell decided not to fine or suspend the Bengals running back.

There could be some inconsistency here.

Harrison is a difficult case. Benson is grateful for his second chance in Cincinnati following three disastrous years in Chicago. After running for 150 yards in a December win over Cleveland last year, Benson stood in front of his locker and wept in gratitude for the second chance he'd been given in Cincinnati. Rocks would talk before James Harrison wept openly in front of the media.

But are Harrison's misdeeds more heinous than Benson's?

You could argue they're less so. Harrison's indiscretions occurred within the context of Sunday afternoon combat, in a league where violence is assumed. Benson's happened far away from the game. Since 2008, Benson has been arrested four times in his hometown of Austin, twice on alcohol-related charges and twice for assault.

Why is Harrison punished by Goodell and Benson is not?

Is Goodell's no-nonsense authoritarianism encouraging, arbitrary or merely a necessary component of doing business?

It's easy to say that Goodell was more forceful with Harrison because Harrison's misdeeds occurred on the field. Let the criminal justice system deal with Benson. That doesn't explain other fines and suspensions, most notably those involving Adam Jones and the late Chris Henry.

Goodell released the following statement after suspending Jones for the 2007 season for his involvement in a strip-club melee:

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL. The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to Jones and Henry, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league.''

On the embarrassment and ridicule scale, where should Harrison fall? Benson?

The NFL dances the hypocrisy tango on this issue. It asks its players once a week to behave like barbarians. The rest of the time, it expects those barbarians to act like the rest of us. Only, they're not like the rest of us. That's a reason we watch them.

That's not the league's only dance with hypocrisy. It decries fan violence, yet does nothing to eliminate the beer sales that fuel the rage. Beer = violence = bad publicity is not a stout enough equation for the NFL to mess with the lucrative relationship it enjoys with its beer sponsors.

Since Goodell can't serve up two-game suspensions to brawling, gun-toting fans, the league's best option would be to ban beer sales at its stadiums, and to prohibit alcohol in its stadium parking lots. Subsequently, the Mississippi River will reverse direction and bacon will become a healthy snack.

But we digress.

Goodell has an obligation to protect the image and reputation of his league, same as any business, because image is money. Unless you work for yourself, you are probably subject to a personal conduct policy. It might be spelled out in a manual, it might be agreed to in a contract. You are made aware of it.

Most companies aren't as arbitrary about it as the NFL is. Players need guidelines. They need to know the rules will be applied fairly, across the board, no matter who the offending player might be. Players need to know what to expect. On and off the field.

Just because James Harrison has a personality that could freeze a meat locker doesn't mean he should be judged more harshly than Cedric Benson, or any other player.

I wanted to ask Benson about this Wednesday, but I couldn't. He was in jail. Harrison, meanwhile, was at practice. Where he was supposed to be.

Paul Daugherty is a columnist for The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/paul_daugherty/08/31/harrison.benson/index.html#ixzz1WdOgWH61

Crush
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Goodell is fucking moron and he has completely ruined NFL Films. That, in itself, should be enough to can his ass.

gblowfish
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Who's the "NLF?"

BigRichard
08-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Who's the "NLF?"

Fixed

Ming the Merciless
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Arbitrary fines are fucking stupid. I really thoght HArrison got a raw deal before, and reading this article confirms it....

There has to be a better way of dealing with this shit, some clear policies...

4th and Long
08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Goodell needs to go in my opinion...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhwqvLEvNOkzI9rJXSAyKzg88uULHGD_CECjwsocQ0sceqizWHAqQShC8
If I want your opinion, I'll fine it out of you.

Just Passin' By
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Arbitrary fines are ****ing stupid. I really thoght HArrison got a raw deal before, and reading this article confirms it....

There has to be a better way of dealing with this shit, some clear policies...

The players had the chance to do that, but they let Goodell keep the power. I despise the current system, but the players now have no one but themselves to blame. They know how bad Goodell is, yet they're allowing him to keep control of the issue.

Let Goodell bankrupt them, and use coin flips for penalty determination, for all I care.

BigRichard
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhwqvLEvNOkzI9rJXSAyKzg88uULHGD_CECjwsocQ0sceqizWHAqQShC8
If I want your opinion, I'll fine it out of you.

No shit. I asked in another thread but no one answered. Who would be the one to get rid of Goodell? Who could say, you are fired?

ChiefGator
08-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Benson is the house slave and Harrison the field slave. That's the way it has always been and always will be with the white debils. /Whitlock.

listopencil
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Goodell gets his power from the owners, does he not? I thought they voted in or appointed him.

whoman69
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Goodell does need to focus on consistency in his penalties, but these two situations are apples and oranges. Looking at how he dealt with players in the past, Benson should have been suspended, probably two games. The fines for hits are way too much and were escalated way too quickly. The NFL should have let players know they were increasing the fines instead of springing it all on them. One of the fines was for a special teams player who made league minimum. The fact is, fining has not changed Harrison's play as he continues to headhunt.

GloryDayz
08-31-2011, 08:18 PM
He should fine kickers for kick-offs that don't get returned.

Bump
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Goodell is the worst thing to happen to the NFL, well....since ever. The absolute worst man for the job and is beginning to ruin a league that we all love so much with these penalties for what used to be great hits that made sportscenter that night. No more emotions allowed out of the player? The excitement they get and desire to celebrate after a big score goes back to the days they began to play this game, for the fun and challenge of it.

Goodell needs to go, I want Tags back.

4th and Long
08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
No shit. I asked in another thread but no one answered. Who would be the one to get rid of Goodell? Who could say, you are fired?
I'll do it!
http://www.aboutfacesentertainers.com/images/caricature/artists/seiler_j/seiler_j_trump.jpg
GOODELL, ... YOU'RE F...

One more word out of you and I'll suspend that hair for 6 games!!!
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4424/goodell.jpg
Are we clear, Nancy?

Backwards Masking
08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Just sad. Goodell does what Goodell wants.

I bet every time he fines a player for a great hit he dances on top of his desk like TO used to do in the endzone. He's gone out of his way to betray the fans with his "policies" the way Favre betrayed Green Bay but unretiring and demanding to be named stater before going to Minny. Every time he gets away with it he maims the league and it's image like Pac Man and his possie do to real people. And behind closed doors he's probably mooning all of us real fans the way Randy Moss pretended to pull down his pants and shoot Lambeau the moon before wiping his butt on the goalpost years ago.

If there's anyone who's breaking the Football "code of conduct" and "personal conduct policy" it's Goodell himself, for not giving a crap about what the fans want.

Dante84
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
The NFL line dances?

Phobia
08-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Just because James Harrison has a personality that could freeze a meat locker doesn't mean he should be judged more harshly than Cedric Benson, or any other player.

No, actually it does every day across every single demographic in the legal system, at work, and at home. People with charisma and those who demonstrate some remorse are almost always shown more leniency over those who act like dickholes and show no remorse. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

Backwards Masking
08-31-2011, 11:03 PM
No, actually it does every day across every single demographic in the legal system, at work, and at home. People with charisma and those who demonstrate some remorse are almost always shown more leniency over those who act like dickholes and show no remorse. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

So Goodell's way of making sure no player is above his rules as they pertain to personal conduct is to act above his rules regarding personal conduct and play favorites and not enforcing blanket policies he himself instigated. Maybe Harrison isn't trying to be a dickhole who shows no remorse, maybe he's just following the example and message his leader is demonstrating. Which is, Goodell's Rules Aren't Worth Respecting. If Roger doesn't apply to them, why should James? Or anyone? At least when James disrespects the rules he's not being a walking, talking Hypocrite.

Phobia
09-01-2011, 12:24 AM
So Goodell's way of making sure no player is above his rules as they pertain to personal conduct is to act above his rules regarding personal conduct and play favorites and not enforcing blanket policies he himself instigated. Maybe Harrison isn't trying to be a dickhole who shows no remorse, maybe he's just following the example and message his leader is demonstrating. Which is, Goodell's Rules Aren't Worth Respecting. If Roger doesn't apply to them, why should James? Or anyone? At least when James disrespects the rules he's not being a walking, talking Hypocrite.

I'm not saying it's right or fair. But it's reality. Act an ass in front of a judge and see what happens at sentencing. Take the same crime, same conviction, same rap-sheet with a guy who is respectful, remorseful, and charismatic... It is what it is. I've found myself doing it here if I'm being completely honest. It's human nature and most figures of authority feel that the remorseful guy stands the best chance of keeping his nose clean the second time around.

Backwards Masking
09-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I'm not saying it's right or fair. But it's reality. Act an ass in front of a judge and see what happens at sentencing. Take the same crime, same conviction, same rap-sheet with a guy who is respectful, remorseful, and charismatic... It is what it is. I've found myself doing it here if I'm being completely honest. It's human nature and most figures of authority feel that the remorseful guy stands the best chance of keeping his nose clean the second time around.

You're right on everything above. But when you repeatedly punish the same individual over and over to make an example out of him/her and let other people get away with just as much or worse, you make an example out of yourself. This goes for everyday life as well : a judge, a boss, a commishoner. A manager of company blatantly picks on someone he doesnt like and lets other poeple get away with murder, it gets noticed. Not just by the staff but the vice pres (the bosses boss) and if it gets bad enough, the pres (the bosses bosses boss). And then that mangers in as much trouble as his employee, the difference is, he usually stands to lose a LOT more. It goes both ways. And that's what we have here. And that's bad management. It's bad leadership. It's hypocrisy. Leadership is supposed to be setting an example, and you don't do that by flagrantly throwing your weight around, then wondering why you staff act the same way.