PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Light load doesn’t bother Chiefs’ Charles

Tribal Warfare
09-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Light load doesn’t bother Chiefs’ Charles (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/31/3113273/chiefs-charles-not-bothered-by.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

GREEN BAY, Wis. | Jamaal Charles speaks with the supreme confidence of a running back coming off a most spectacular season.

Disregard his lousy preseason, he said, one that has him with six carries for 16 measly yards heading into the Chiefs’ final warmup game tonight, against the Packers at Lambeau Field.

The regular season, which begins for the Chiefs on Sept. 11 against Buffalo at Arrowhead Stadium, is what he’s been shooting for all along.

“When it’s time for me to go, I’m just ready to make plays, ready to do something incredible, something amazing, every time I step in,” Charles said.

“I’ve been ready since day one, since I came back (for) training camp. I’ve been here ready to go. The only chance (I get) is when I get that playing time and my number is called. I’ve got to play my role.”

Charles hasn’t played much, which is part of the reason for his subpar numbers. But the Chiefs haven’t run the ball well as a whole, and that’s a source of concern to them.

Coach Todd Haley talked about a sense of urgency for the running game after last week’s game against the Rams. The Chiefs had 58 yards in just 20 carries that night.

Quarterback Matt Cassel wondered about the identity of the Chiefs’ offense, this after they led the league in rushing last season.

“We haven’t exactly pounded the rock like we did last year,” Cassel said.

The Chiefs will attempt to be a running team first. For them to be successful, they’ll need Charles to be what he was for them last season. He finished second in the league in rushing with 1,467 yards and had a phenomenal 6.4-yards per carry average.

He finished the season playing in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

“Now it’s a new year,” Haley said. “The thing I’m most excited about with Jamaal is that I don’t see any change in him as far as his demeanor, his preparation, his seriousness, his seriousness toward the team and being a great teammate.

“I don’t think you can say he has to rush for more yards than he did last year for it to be a better year. If he does, that’s awesome for all of us. But he’s just working hard to get better and that’s another big thing about him is that there’s room to get better. That’s exciting when you see a guy do some of the things he did last year and then you’re saying he could potentially be better, which I believe he can.”

Unlike last season, when the Chiefs were most effective when Charles was their featured back, Thomas Jones has been the better runner in the preseason.

Jones has 44 yards in nine carries.

“We’ve just tried to go out there and be fundamentally sound, focus on the basics,” Jones said. “Obviously, we haven’t won but I think we’ve made a lot of progress in a lot of areas.

“You know the difference between the preseason and the regular season. The regular season, it counts. I don’t think it’s a situation where you turn anything on.”

While it’s not unusual for premier backs to get little work in the preseason, the Chiefs have taken that to an extreme with Charles.

“It’s not bothering me,” Charles said. “I get a couple snaps, get warmed up and just move on to the next preseason game. I think it’s enough (work). I know a lot of people — my fans, people out there like fantasy players — want to see me get more touches, but it doesn’t count right now. It doesn’t matter how many touches I get.

“I know everybody is looking at it and paying attention to it. I’ve played a little bit of time but whatever time they put me in there, I have to respect what the coaches give me. It’s just preseason right now. If they put me in there once, twice, 15, how many plays they want or the whole fourth quarter, it’s just the preseason right now. It really doesn’t count.”

The Chiefs have the luxury tonight of taking it easy on Charles. That changes dramatically when Buffalo comes to Arrowhead. With the Chiefs also struggling in the passing game, Charles becomes a more important figure in their lineup.

So they may need to load him up against the Bills.

“I’ll be ready to go,” Charles said. “I’m healthy. I feel great, I’m in great shape. I work out every day and I work hard at practice.

“I have no choice. We’re trying to win just like Buffalo is going to try to win. They’re going to give their playmakers the ball so when my time comes, I’ve got to go.”

Thig Lyfe
09-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Charles needs more carnies.

http://www.itbinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tetanus-ride.jpg

michaelj_58
09-01-2011, 03:35 AM
charles will play more against the pack!!!!!!!!!!

Deberg_1990
09-01-2011, 06:30 AM
It doesnt bother me either..in fact, nothing about preseason bothers me.

the Talking Can
09-01-2011, 06:38 AM
RBs probably need the least snaps of anyone in preseason....

ReynardMuldrake
09-01-2011, 07:06 AM
One of the dumbest articles I've ever read. I'm supposed to be bothered by Charles' lack of carries in the PRESEASON? That's just insulting my inteligence. Fuck you, Teicher, for even writing this.

Coogs
09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
It doesnt bother me either..in fact, nothing about preseason bothers me.

Normally I would be right with you. If our starting QB looks the part tonight then I will breathe a huge sigh of relief and be with you all the way. However, if he continues to look the part of a backup QB at best... then I am going to worry for another 10 days or so.

FRCDFED
09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
It would be nice to see Stanzi get some time with the #1's.