PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Albert and Gaither at the Tackles...

Coogs
09-02-2011, 07:01 AM
looked pretty darn good at first glance. I had to DVR the game, and watched it fastforwarding through the plays very late last night. I noticed they were in together for a significant amount of time with Albert at LT and Gaither at RT. Asamoah was the RG, and I believe Hudson was the LG and Weigmann was the C for most of this same time. Line looked pretty damn fine through this stretch too!

If this is a repost... Fugg' off! :D

El Jefe
09-02-2011, 07:05 AM
How much did Gaither play?

Coogs
09-02-2011, 07:08 AM
How much did Gaither play?

Don't recall exactly, but I am thinking mid-to-late second quarter to near the end of the third quarter. Line looked good in that stretch... IMO.

booger
09-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Gaither gave up one play either a sack or heavy pressure on his first series. Not unexpected considering he doesn't have too many snaps at RT in his career. But after that he looked to take things in stride and looked smooth. At 6'9 he's not a road grader but it helps with Asamoah at RG being a rugged run blocker. Richardson has 3 or 4 holding calls the last couple weeks and his usual handful of whiffs/brain farts. Plus he got dinged up which i don't think(i don't know either just guessing) is too serious. I hope Gaither starts and Barry is the swing T week one. Part of that is and has been Cassel with his poor pocket awarness. It may just take a solid pair of bookends to give him time to survey the field.

Chiefnj2
09-02-2011, 07:11 AM
I hope they looked good playing against 2nd and 3rd string players.

the Talking Can
09-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Albert looked good in the first half...

El Jefe
09-02-2011, 07:13 AM
I hope they looked good playing against 2nd and 3rd string players.

Go cup o cheese yourself.

booger
09-02-2011, 07:17 AM
some guys can't handle playing both the right and left whether your talking G or T. Coming out of the stance, hand placement, and the kick slide, flipping over and doing things the opposite they are used to is too much for some to handle. I was just glad Gaither looked somewhat comfortable on the right side.

MahiMike
09-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm wondering if we let the wrong old player go between Waters and Wiegman.

Coogs
09-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Gaither gave up one play either a sack or heavy pressure on his first series. Not unexpected considering he doesn't have too many snaps at RT in his career. But after that he looked to take things in stride and looked smooth. At 6'9 he's not a road grader but it helps with Asamoah at RG being a rugged run blocker. Richardson has 3 or 4 holding calls the last couple weeks and his usual handful of whiffs/brain farts. Plus he got dinged up which i don't think(i don't know either just guessing) is too serious. I hope Gaither starts and Barry is the swing T week one. Part of that is and has been Cassel with his poor pocket awarness. It may just take a solid pair of bookends to give him time to survey the field.

I probably hadn't noticed he was even in on that first play you are talking about. Once I noticed #71 on the field, I didn't have the time to rewind to see how long he had been in already. Just noticed he went to the RT spot, and saw #76 was still at the LT spot. Really tried to focus on the RT spot from that point on... especially on the pass plays. Gaither pretty much stoned his guy everytime at the point. Packers were able to get pressure on Palko with blitzers from the far outside... which Trent Green pointed out, and that Palko needed to hit Dex in the flat to counter that pressure. Next play we did just that for a pretty nice gain up the rigt side.

Run blocking, I couldn't tell you as much, but pass blocking from the right side looked really good during Gaithers time on the field. Everywhere actually, as Palko had lots of time to throw through this period of the game.

Hammock Parties
09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm wondering if we let the wrong old player go between Waters and Wiegman.

Waters is not even an NFL player right now.

Chiefnj2
09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I probably hadn't noticed he was even in on that first play you are talking about. Once I noticed #71 on the field, I didn't have the time to rewind to see how long he had been in already. Just noticed he went to the RT spot, and saw #76 was still at the LT spot. Really tried to focus on the RT spot from that point on... especially on the pass plays. Gaither pretty much stoned his guy everytime at the point. Packers were able to get pressure on Palko with blitzers from the far outside... which Trent Green pointed out, and that Palko needed to hit Dex in the flat to counter that pressure. Next play we did just that for a pretty nice gain up the rigt side.

Run blocking, I couldn't tell you as much, but pass blocking from the right side looked really good during Gaithers time on the field. Everywhere actually, as Palko had lots of time to throw through this period of the game.

Gaither came in when Richardson got hurt.

booger
09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I think he will do a better than average job as a run blocker i just think it's sometimes harder for the really tall guys to get their pads down and drive block. Just a note on pass blocking i got to thinking a big reason they brought in Becht is to see if he can chip and help out the OT's in some pass blocking situations. Run blocking too. Basically a Jason Dunn type roll. That's going to be interesting at TE with the 2 injuries with Jake O and Moeaki. Maybe Cody Slate gets the 3rd spot if Jake goes to IR or gets cut. Might even keep on of the second FB's instead and go with 2 TE and 2 FB with all the FB's including McClain being able to play some Hback or motion TE, just not your typical on the line or in line Y TE. I just noticed last night with Becht in there pass blocking was better.

Coogs
09-02-2011, 07:43 AM

I missed that Richardson got hurt. I started watching after 11:00 PM, so I was fast forwarding a lot so I could get to bed. :shrug:

Ace Gunner
09-02-2011, 07:43 AM
some guys can't handle playing both the right and left whether your talking G or T. Coming out of the stance, hand placement, and the kick slide, flipping over and doing things the opposite they are used to is too much for some to handle. I was just glad Gaither looked somewhat comfortable on the right side.

some guys cant jack off with the other hand. takes talent.

Ace Gunner
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM

maybe that's a hint :D

booger
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
some guys cant jack off with the other hand. takes talent.

it won't fit right in my right hand so i just use my left. Thumbs up is conventional like a vagina and thumbs down is tighter like a butthole.

Coogs
09-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Maybe that is why Gaither gave up a sack early. If he didn't practice at RT... never heard any reports of it from practice... and was just thrust in the game unexpectedly at a different position... that would be a bit tough.

hometeam
09-02-2011, 07:51 AM
He has to be better than 'I hold on every single play' Richardson

Groves
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
'I hold on every single play' Richardson

"Don't they all?" — Tamba

Nightfyre
09-02-2011, 09:33 AM

That pressure was the result of a db blitz and a failure of the qb to recognize it and adjust the protection scheme. Gaither took the guy immediately adjacent to asamoah, so I don't know what he could have done except block two guys.

booger
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
That pressure was the result of a db blitz and a failure of the qb to recognize it and adjust the protection scheme. Gaither took the guy immediately adjacent to asamoah, so I don't know what he could have done except block two guys.

OK. Thanks. To tell you the truth i was so focused in and glad to see Gaither on the right side i didn't pay much attention to the actual play just that pressure came from that side. That moment just kind of gave me a ray of hope for the OL woes. 2 good things were he played RT and played the game without having to come out because of conditioning or any nagging issues that have kept him from practicing of and on.

ChiefGator
09-02-2011, 09:50 AM

That's true, but Gaither didn't look good a play or two before that. But that's fine, he'll have some learning curve on the right I'm sure.

The broadcasters did credit Gaither for the DB delayed blitz, when it clearly wasn't hit fault.

OctoberFart
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Glad the turnstiles looked good for the queefs. Fools gold.

Mr. Laz
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Maybe that is why Gaither gave up a sack early. If he didn't practice at RT... never heard any reports of it from practice... and was just thrust in the game unexpectedly at a different position... that would be a bit tough.

nobody could see that coming ... oh wait

This is the kinda stuff that burns me about Haley.

What is our biggest need along the offensive line? I think everyone agrees is right tackle.

Where to we have both of our best OT's working? Left tackle.

So during the season if Richardson continues to struggle we are going to have to move Gaithers or Albert to RT without significant practice over there. Why?

Coogs
09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
nobody could see that coming ... oh wait

I hear ya! I kind of advocated he should get some snaps in practice over at the right side after Richardson's holding on every passing play against the Rams. Don't know if he did or not, but you would have thought if the reporters were mentioning Colbert taking snaps with the #1's... that Gaither switching sides would have made the news as well.

Glad to see him in the game at RT... practice or no practice.

El Jefe
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Glad the turnstiles looked good for the Chiefs. Fools gold.

Hey everybody look, it's the village idiot!!!! It's our favorite moran Autism Wind!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Glad the turnstiles looked good for the Chiefs. Fools gold.

ROFL Those Faid tackles suuuuure are known for thier pass protection wizardry.

Chiefnj2
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I hear ya! I kind of advocated he should get some snaps in practice over at the right side after Richardson's holding on every passing play against the Rams. Don't know if he did or not, but you would have thought if the reporters were mentioning Colbert taking snaps with the #1's... that Gaither switching sides would have made the news as well.

Glad to see him in the game at RT... practice or no practice.

My gut tells me that Gaither at RT is just a big tease and Richardson will be back at the spot on 9/11.

Coogs
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
My gut tells me that Gaither at RT is just a big tease and Richardson will be back at the spot on 9/11.

We can't really afford to lose to the Bills. Cassel holds on to the ball way to long to begin with... which is why he got hurt last night. Gaither obviously is going to give Cassel more time... and an actual pockt to throw from.

You are probably right though, unfortunately.

Ace Gunner
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. They need that LT position to be solid also. I think Barry R could have played himself out of starting when he pancaked that dude and added a little extra afterwards, but who knows. It's not as if Gaither or any of the OT's are clearly the answer right now. Any two could go out on the 11th and get somebody killed. The thing is Haley uses his TE's to help those OT's most of the time and that's why they suck now and were decent last year during regular season. Of course the interior line was a problem last season against formidable fronts and I'm not seeing anything that has changed this yet, in fact it looks worse with Hudson or Lilja at LG. Asamoah will likely settle down after a few games, but I expect hiccups from him as well from time to time. This will look like last season. Gaither or no.

Coogs
09-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Has anyone heard if this move for Gaither is a permanent move yet? Personally, I would have thought it might have been one of the lead questions from our media dudes for Haley, but they probably didn't even notice the switch.

Rausch
09-03-2011, 08:21 AM
looked pretty darn good at first glance. I had to DVR the game, and watched it fastforwarding through the plays very late last night. I noticed they were in together for a significant amount of time with Albert at LT and Gaither at RT. Asamoah was the RG, and I believe Hudson was the LG and Weigmann was the C for most of this same time. Line looked pretty damn fine through this stretch too!

If this is a repost... Fugg' off! :D

I'd prefer to see Weigmann sitting bench, Hudson playing C, and Lilja at G.

But 3 out of 5 ain't bad!
:rockon:

Coogs
09-03-2011, 08:23 AM

That's probably comming soon. I think Lilja is dinged up a bit though right now. Should be back soon IIRC.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm re-watching the game this morning. Richardson leaves the game at the end of the series that Cassel went out injured. Richardson does not appear to have any injury. This is roughly at the 7:20 mark of the 2nd quarter.

Gaither comes in the next series which starts at around the 5:30 mark, and did give up a sack on his second play in.... which was his first pass blocking play from that side.

He played RT up to the point where Succop kicked the FG to bring us within 20-19.

Overall, I thought he played pretty solid in both the run game and in pass protection.

I am curious to see where he lines up when practice starts this week.

Rausch
09-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm re-watching the game this morning. Richardson leaves the game at the end of the series that Cassel went out injured. Richardson does not appear to have any injury. This is roughly at the 7:20 mark of the 2nd quarter.

Gaither comes in the next series which starts at around the 5:30 mark, and did give up a sack on his second play in.... which was his first pass blocking play from that side.

He played RT up to the point where Succop kicked the FG to bring us within 20-19.

Overall, I thought he played pretty solid in both the run game and in pass protection.

He was a low risk/high reward investment.

He could pay off at RT, LT, or could (by far) be the best depth we've had at T in years...

Deberg_1990
09-04-2011, 09:46 AM

My guess is hes still a backup until Richardson or Albert gets hurt or we start losing games because of Richardson.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I didn't see this on the re-watch of the game this morning. Richardson was pass blocking on his last play, and there is absolutely nothing you can see to indicate Richardson gets hurt. He looked fine the last point you could see him on the TV picture. What is his injury suppose to be?

aturnis
09-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Well, Lilja will be playing Guard, but Hudson will be on the bench while Weigmann plays Center.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I never heard anything about Lilja being injured personally. Maybe I missed it though. I just figured they were giving him rest while they let Hudson get experience against other teams ones. The experience should make him a much better backup, and give him the ability to step in and start when Weigmann hits his mid-season wall/fake injury.

WhiteWhale
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
He was a low risk/high reward investment.

He could pay off at RT, LT, or could (by far) be the best depth we've had at T in years...

From what I saw in preseason, Hudson still needs some polish. He didn't look ready to start at all.

Actually, I was expecting him to be better.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 10:40 AM

For full disclosures sake, he didn't get beat for the sack. He didn't seem fully aware of his responsibility on the play and left a blitzer free to the QB.

From what I've read about Haley's approach with Gaither, was that their first priority was getting him healthy and in shape, and the week prior to the game, they still weren't done getting him there yet. Their next step was getting him up to speed on the offense, which I'm sure they were doing simultaneously, but he wasn't full there yet either. Hopefully they clue him in and get him ready...

aturnis
09-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I didn't see this on the re-watch of the game this morning. Richardson was pass blocking on his last play, and there is absolutely nothing you can see to indicate Richardson gets hurt. He looked fine the last point you could see him on the TV picture. What is his injury suppose to be?

A leg thing. I think maybe his left leg?

booger
09-04-2011, 10:43 AM

yep, IIRC Bob "hoobastank" gretz said it was a lower leg injury

Coogs
09-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I never heard anything about Lilja being injured personally. Maybe I missed it though. I just figured they were giving him rest while they let Hudson get experience against other teams ones. The experience should make him a much better backup, and give him the ability to step in and start when Weigmann hits his mid-season wall/fake injury.

Here is a Bob Gretz practice report from the 29th...

– Not practicing were the following – OLB Gabe Miller, LG Ryan Lilja, C/G Darryl Harris, OL Bobby Greenwood, OT Ryan O’Callaghan, TE Jake O’Connell and WR Jonathan Baldwin. Greenwood and O’Callaghan were absent from the locker room and the practice field. Miller has a hamstring pull, O’Connell a sprained ankle, Baldwin a broken thumb, Harris a sprained knee and Lilja’s injury remains unknown. However, he was very active in the rehab area and seemed to be able to do everything asked of him, from stretches, to weights, to riding the stationary bike.

...which really doesn't say he was/is injured. But he has spent a lot of time in the rehab area recently. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
. Cassel holds on to the ball way to long to begin with... which is why he got hurt last night:shake:

have you seen how long some QB's hold to the ball in this league?

against green bay, cassel got sacked and i replayed it and counted. One thousand, one thousand two ... Sack.

2 seconds is not too long

If you want to complain about how cassel drops his eyes to look at the rush, then fine. But holding the ball is not his problem. Our offense line can't hold their blocks and can't handle a blitz worth a shit.

On the play where Cassel got hurt, Raji had 2 guys on him. Wiegmann and Hudson just short of 'stopped' blocking and Raji split them and crush Cassel. You don't EVER stop blocking until the whistle blows ... ever.

Roethlisburger holds the ball for a month compared to cassel.

I'm really starting to wonder about people being right about Muir sucking ass because our Oline doesn't not look prepared.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Sure couldn't see it on the last play he was in, so I would assume it is minor at the worst.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
:shake:

against green bay, cassel got sacked and i replayed it and counted. One thousand, one thousand two ... Sack.

If you want to complain about how cassel drops his eyes to look at the rush, then fine. But holding the ball is not his problem. Our offense line can't hold their blocks and can't handle a blitz worth a shit.

On the play where Cassel got hurt, Raji had 2 guys on him. Wiegmann and Hudson just short of 'stopped' blocking and Raji split them and crush Cassel. You don't EVER stop blocking until the whistle blows ... ever.

I'm really starting to wonder about people being right about Muir sucking ass because our Oline doesn't not look prepared.

Count on that play. I did this morning. It was between 4 and 5 by my count... closer to 5.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 10:50 AM
From what I saw in preseason, Hudson still needs some polish. He didn't look ready to start at all.

Actually, I was expecting him to be better.

To be fair, he's worked almost exclusively at Center in practice up until this point. Center should be more demanding mentally, but he might not be tested quite as much physically, that is until he goes up against some 3-4 NT's, which I don't expect him to be able to handle at this point. He was the one who initially let the guy who injured Cassel through afterall. Weigmann tried to get there to help, but was too late.

Wonder if they don't have him playing Guard not only to make him a more experience backup for the position, but also so that once he plays center, he better understands the assignment of the guys next to him, so he can better understand how to help when he has nobody head up on him in pass protection. Not a bad idea as it seems that we gave up plenty of sacks early in the year last year b/c guys didn't know which players they were responsible for. I'm looking at you Albert.

milkman
09-04-2011, 10:53 AM

You're right about the time Cassel had on that play, but that's a sack he should have been able to avoid, cause it wasn't an athletic and fast BJ Raji that sacked him, but a slow fatass Howard Green.

And yes, Bill Muir is a liability.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 10:55 AM
You're right about the time Cassel had on that play, but that's a sack he should have been able to avoid, cause it wasn't an athletic and fast BJ Raji that sacked him, but a slow fatass Howard Green.

And yes, Bill Muir is a liability.

Play he got hurt on was nearly 5 seconds. The first sack of the game was closer to 2 seconds.

Fact is, I am watching that play again right now. Count is about 4 when the DT beats the block.

MIAdragon
09-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Laz come on man, you cant type that with a straight face can you?!

milkman
09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Play he got hurt on was nearly 5 seconds. The first sack of the game was closer to 2 seconds.

It might have been 5 seconds that Cassel held the ball, but Green broke through the line within 2 seconds, which is why I say he should have been able to avoid the sack.

He was right in front of him, and it took Green damn near a lifetime to cover the 5 yards to get that sack.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Wasn't even Raji, it was Green. Also, Hudson was blocking him, got beat. Weigmann looked away to Asamoah to see if he needed help, when he realized Aso was alright, he looked left to Hudson, realized he was beat, stepped in to help, but was already beat himself. It was too late.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
It might have been 5 seconds that Cassel held the ball, but Green broke through the line within 2 seconds, which is why I say he should have been able to avoid the sack.

He was right in front of him, and it took Green damn near a lifetime to cover the 5 yards to get that sack.

Count is nearly 4 when he breaks through. I'm watching it right now.

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousa..... he breaks through.

donkhater
09-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Trent Green held onto the football longer than any other QB I can remember and took a number of bad sacks. He never threw the ball away. Of course he had an all-time OL blocking for him. But he was also loved for his toughness and desire to make a big play. Cassel is tough and looks to make a play and is lampooned. Methinks there should be a different criticism of his play from this bunch of posters.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Fact is, I am watching that play again right now. Count is about 4 when the DT beats the block.

Maybe you count fast, watch the clock to be sure.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Maybe you count fast, watch the clock to be sure.

Snap at 8:50. Sack right between 8:46 and 8:45. My count was pretty close.

Clock is right at 8:46 when Green breaks the double team... so nearly 4 seconds.

FWIW, on the first sack of the game that was right at 12:19 on the snap and 12:16 on the sack, Trent Green was commenting "based on how long how long Matt has to hold on to the ball here, I think the offensive line does a pretty good job, you see him take two or three hitches, your going to have to call that a coverage sack..."

The one he got hurt on was nearly 2 full seconds more.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Snap at 8:50. Sack right between 8:46 and 8:45. My count was pretty close.

Good on ya. Wasn't saying you were wrong, just wanted clarification with all the different opinions flying around.

That sack was unforgivable to all parties involved. Hudson go beat badly, but I would think Weigmann would be looking to help him before he ever looked to Asomoah. FAIL to Wegs and Hudson.

As for Cassel. Even if the line let him down. This was one of the most easily avoidable sacks I've seen. The man coming at him is not agile. Sidestepping him should be very easy.

I almost wonder if Cassel isn't trying to hang in the pocket more b/c he sees how much better Stanzi is in this area(along with almost all of the others). Don't know that he stared down the rush on this play, but he certainly didn't try to avoid it.

Bowser
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM

BELICHICK READS CHIEFSPLANET AND HATES GOCHIEFS!!!

RealSNR
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Cassel is tough and looks to make a play and is lampooned. Methinks there should be a different criticism of his play from this bunch of posters.This is the NFL. There is no A for effort.

Either make a play once in awhile (ala Green and Roethlisberger) or learn to get it out of your hands quicker. Right now Cassel is straddling the line between both negative outcomes

Coogs
09-04-2011, 11:34 AM
That sack was unforgivable to all parties involved. Hudson go beat badly, but I would think Weigmann would be looking to help him before he ever looked to Asomoah. FAIL to Wegs and Hudson.

Weigmann actually has Green one-on-one at the snap, and does a pretty fair job of standing him up. Hudson is the LG, and has no one to block. Hudson slides over to help Weigmann, and they both hold him up for a second and a half before Green splits them. I'd say more of a good play by Green than a poor play by Weigmann and Hudson. It's the type of play from Green that we would want to see our NT's making.

RealSNR
09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Weigmann actually has Green one-on-one at the snap, and does a pretty fair job of standing him up. Hudson is the LG, and has no one to block. Hudson slides over to help Weigmann, and they both hold him up for a second and a half before Green splits them. I'd say more of a good play by Green than a poor play by Weigmann and Hudson. It's the type of play from Green that we would want to see our NT's making.Green's an end, not a nose

Coogs
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Trent Green held onto the football longer than any other QB I can remember and took a number of bad sacks. He never threw the ball away. Of course he had an all-time OL blocking for him. But he was also loved for his toughness and desire to make a big play. Cassel is tough and looks to make a play and is lampooned. Methinks there should be a different criticism of his play from this bunch of posters.

This is where Haley and Wies last year said we could not afford negative plays... which included sacks and not just Int's. They wanted him to get it out and throw it away... which he did.

From the looks of things that may be a good option again this season.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Green's an end, not a nose

He was the NT on that play.

milkman
09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Green's an end, not a nose

He's listed as the backup to BJ Raji on the Pack's website, and as Coogs points out, he was playing the nose on that play.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

donkhater
09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
This is the NFL. There is no A for effort.

Either make a play once in awhile (ala Green and Roethlisberger) or learn to get it out of your hands quicker. Right now Cassel is straddling the line between both negative outcomes

Again, Green had the advantage of an all-time OL. He was never under the kind of pressure that Cassel is consistently. He made plays down the field, but it was because of the clean pocket, mostly. Ben is just the biggest QB ever and can shake off defenders. Not valid comparisons.

The reason KC ran so much last season may not have been to keep the ball out of Cassel's hands, but to keep him upright. We all saw the result when he didn't play. It wasn't pretty. It was far uglier than anything that happened at the end of the season as well. You know, when they started a guy off the street (Curtis) in a playoff game because their WR corps sucked so bad.

Cassel does need to do a better job, no doubt. But the standards for the QB of the Chiefs according to this board are unrealistic.

milkman
09-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Again, Green had the advantage of an all-time OL. He was never under the kind of pressure that Cassel is consistently. He made plays down the field, but it was because of the clean pocket, mostly. Ben is just the biggest QB ever and can shake off defenders. Not valid comparisons.

The reason KC ran so much last season may not have been to keep the ball out of Cassel's hands, but to keep him upright. We all saw the result when he didn't play. It wasn't pretty. It was far uglier than anything that happened at the end of the season as well. You know, when they started a guy off the street (Curtis) in a playoff game because their WR corps sucked so bad.

Cassel does need to do a better job, no doubt. But the standards for the QB of the Chiefs according to this board are unrealistic.

I don't think the standards are all that high.

We want a QB that can play with better mechanics, make reads, and take this team on his shoulders at times.

But I think most of us would be happy with QB who's most glowing endorsement from his head coach, after he's been in the league for 7 years, and a starter for 3, isn't "he's making progress".

slothf
09-04-2011, 12:05 PM
if the line stays healthy..should be solid...we are gonna miss waters though

BigMeatballDave
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
.we are gonna miss waters thoughNo, we wont.

NJChiefsFan
09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think the standards are all that high.

We want a QB that can play with better mechanics, make reads, and take this team on his shoulders at times.

But I think most of us would be happy with QB who's most glowing endorsement from his head coach, after he's been in the league for 7 years, and a starter for 3, isn't "he's making progress".

Haha exactly. Doesn't have to be a guy that strikes ultimate fear in another team. A QB that when the run game and defense are playing bad, can say, "Ok my turn to carry us."

GordonGekko
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
if the line stays healthy..should be solid...we are gonna miss waters though

Solid?

lol

both starting tackles suck, our left they want to move to the right, and our right well.. we don't have a RT

milkman
09-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Solid?

lol

both starting tackles suck, our left they want to move to the right, and our right well.. we don't have a RT

Who is "they"?

Just Passin' By
09-04-2011, 01:18 PM
If I recall the play correctly, Cassel's looking for a deep pattern to develop. The line is holding up well at first, and Green's breakthrough is sudden, after he'd been stopped, and he's coming right up the middle. That's on the line, not the QB.

The time breakdown by Coogs backs that up.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
If I recall the play correctly, Cassel's looking for a deep pattern to develop. The line is holding up well at first, and Green's breakthrough is sudden, after he'd been stopped, and he's coming right up the middle. That's on the line, not the QB.

Almost 5 seconds? How long do you want the line to block?

aturnis
09-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Did you watch the play? Once Green broke through the line, there was 5yds. between them, Green was running straight into Cassels vision, there is NO WAY Cassel didn't see him, yet Cassel stood his ground, and took the sack. MOVE you idiot!

Just Passin' By
09-04-2011, 01:27 PM

When the line has a player stopped, and he gets through, I want the line to block longer.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Weigmann actually has Green one-on-one at the snap, and does a pretty fair job of standing him up. Hudson is the LG, and has no one to block. Hudson slides over to help Weigmann, and they both hold him up for a second and a half before Green splits them. I'd say more of a good play by Green than a poor play by Weigmann and Hudson. It's the type of play from Green that we would want to see our NT's making.

Alright, I was recounting it from when I watched the live stream. Could have sworn it went down like I said, but you have video so I'll defer to you.

aturnis
09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
When the line has a player stopped, and he gets through, I want the line to block longer.

Yeah, you're wrong.

Just Passin' By
09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Did you watch the play? Once Green broke through the line, there was 5yds. between them, Green was running straight into Cassels vision, there is NO WAY Cassel didn't see him, yet Cassel stood his ground, and took the sack. MOVE you idiot!

Given that I just broke down the play, I think it's fair to say I watched it. Cassel is setting up for a deep throw. The line has the player blocked. The player suddenly busts through and Cassel's down 1 second later. That's the timeline.

Easy 6
09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
it won't fit right in my right hand so i just use my left. Thumbs up is conventional like a vagina and thumbs down is tighter like a butthole.

LMAO... ah, thats kid stuff, grindin your forearm is where its at.

donkhater
09-04-2011, 02:47 PM

So you're saying you don't hold the OL accountable to improve, but you do expect that from Cassel. Right?

milkman
09-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Given that I just broke down the play, I think it's fair to say I watched it. Cassel is setting up for a deep throw. The line has the player blocked. The player suddenly busts through and Cassel's down 1 second later. That's the timeline.

You're an idiot.

RNR
09-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, you're wrong.

When they do that the refs throw a yellow flag down, it is called holding ;)

milkman
09-04-2011, 05:08 PM
The snap is at 8:50.
Green splits the double team at 8:47.

Cassel is sacked at 8:45.

He had a full 2 seconds to see the pentration and to avoid the sack.

That is a bad job by the OL and a bad job by Cassel.

Coogs
09-04-2011, 05:27 PM
So you're saying you don't hold the OL accountable to improve, but you do expect that from Cassel. Right?

Nope.

On the first sack of the game, which happened after 3 seconds, Trent Green commented that the O-line had done its job, and that it was a coverage sack. There comes a point in time you have to unload the pass. When the clock is nearing 5, if the receivers are not open... they are probably never going to get open. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the coaches tape, so I have no idea what the pass routes were... or how the coverage was. At some point you have to throw it away at the very least.

Weis seemed to understand that last year. I hope Muir (sp) understands that as well.