PDA

View Full Version : Football Updated College Polls (Post-Week 1)

DaKCMan AP
09-06-2011, 11:14 AM
AP Top 25
1. Oklahoma (32)
2. LSU (17)
3. Alabama (9)
4. Boise St (2)
5. Florida St
6. Stanford
7. Texas A&M
8. Wisconsin
9. Oklahoma St
10. Nebraska
11. Virginia Tech
12. South Carolina
13. Oregon
14. Arkansas
15. ohio state
16. Mississippi St
17. Michigan St
18. Florida
19. West Virginia
20. Baylor
21. Missouri
22. South Florida
23. Penn State
24. Texas
25. TCU

Coaches Poll
1. Oklahoma (43)
2. Alabama (9)
3. LSU (7)
4. Florida St
5. Boise St
6. Stanford
7. Oklahoma St
8. Texas A&M
9. Wisconsin
10. Nebraska
11. Virginia Tech
12. South Carolina
13. Arkansas
14. Oregon
15. ohio state
16. Michigan St
17. Mississippi St
18. Florida
19. Missouri
20. Penn State
21. Texas
22. Auburn
23. Arizona St
24. West Virginia
25. TCU

ohiobronco2
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Da, what is the deal with Shariff Floyd?

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Where's Notre Dame?

:D

Rooster
09-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Where's Notre Dame?

Where's Kansas?? :harumph:

LiveSteam
09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Where's Kansas?? :harumph:

Same place they were pre-season. Which is 1 notch below where ND should have been placed pre-season.

RealSNR
09-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Wisconsin should be higher.

whoman69
09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Where's Notre Dame?

Doing bear crawls on the practice field.

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Doing bear crawls on the practice field.

Hopefully Dayne Crist is at a different school right now.

Titty Meat
09-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyway Penn State knocks off Alabama this week?

El Jefe
09-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Notebook: Floyd not eligible, hearing set for today
StoryCommentsShareShare Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size
Dana Burke / Alligator Staff

Will MuschampFlorida coach Will Muschamp would not comment on the status of Sharrif Floyd’s eligibility on Monday after the school announced before Saturday’s game that Floyd would not play.

.Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:45 am

Notebook: Floyd not eligible, hearing set for today GREG LUCA, Alligator Staff Writer The Independent Florida Alligator | 0 comments
Two days after sophomore Sharrif Floyd was declared ineligible just prior to Florida’s season opener, the reasoning behind his status remains unclear.

Coach Will Muschamp declined further comment Monday, saying only, “He’s fine.”

The University Athletic Association released a statement saying Floyd will remain ineligible until he is cleared to play by the NCAA. The only clarification offered was to say that the issue “is not related to sports agents, University of Florida boosters or his recruitment to Florida.”

Ron Cohen, Floyd’s former coach at Philadelphia George Washington High, told the Palm Beach Post that Floyd is scheduled to have a hearing with the NCAA today.

Floyd played in all 13 games as a freshman and was projected to be a starter at defensive end. Senior William Green started in his place against FAU.

Injury update: Muschamp said he expects sophomore fullback Trey Burton and redshirt senior wide receiver Deonte Thompson, both of whom left Saturday’s game with injuries, to be fine.

Burton sustained some bruising in the hip and rib area on his left side. He left in the first quarter but returned later in the game.

Thompson took a heavy hit to the back of the head after making a catch on a crossing pattern early in the fourth quarter, but Muschamp said the wideout did not suffer a concussion on the helmet-to-helmet blow.

Muschamp added that junior wide receiver Omarius Hines, who missed Saturday’s game with a hamstring injury, is expected to be back this week against Alabama-Birmingham.

Also absent against FAU were junior cornerback Jeremy Brown (knee) and sophomore wide receiver Robert Clark (hamstring), who Muschamp listed as “probable-to-questionable” for next week.

Driskel’s playing time: Muschamp restated on Monday the desire to give freshman quarterback Jeff Driskel meaningful snaps, adding that he will do so again against UAB if the opportunity presents itself.

Driskel entered for three plays against FAU with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter, then again with 8:01 left in the fourth.

He completed 4 of 6 passes for 42 yards and an interception, while also running twice for 8 yards.

Weekly awards: Redshirt senior defensive tackle Jaye Howard was named the Southeastern Conference’s Co-Defensive Lineman of the Week following his four-tackle, one-sack performance against Florida Atlantic.

Howard also recorded 1.5 tackles for loss.

Muschamp singled out running backs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps as the team’s offensive players of the week.

Muschamp also cited sixth-year senior and Notre Dame transfer Dan Wenger as the team’s best lineman, while left tackle Xavier Nixon was mentioned as the player who gave the most effort.

On defense, Muschamp gave sophomore linebacker Jelani Jenkins his “Hard Hat Award,” mentioning a powerful hit Jenkins made while breaking up an FAU pass attempt midway through the third quarter.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
2 AP voters gave Spud State a vote for #1?

BWillie
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Boise State goes to Georgia and thumps them and they don't go to #3?

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM

What was Georgia ranked when spud state played them?
Which of these schools do you thing they should be ranked higher than: Oklahoma, 'Bama, LSU?

Setsuna
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Awesome! Knew we'd get 18. Holla! And Floyd...nothing yet. Muschamp said he'ms "fine." All we know at this point.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM

And who in the world would they jump?

LSU? Uhhhh...ok
Alabama? With a blowout?
Oklahoma? Again another blowout?

Sorry nice win but they are exactly where they should be right now, it just gives them a nice quality win for later.

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 02:31 PM
God love the polls.

Mizzou showed enough warts that they could've been legitimately knocked from the rankings altogether...and they actually go up in the USA Today poll.

I still don't know why they even bother with rankings until week 6 of the season. A lot of mischief would be avoided if they'd quit doing pre-season rankings and allowing the coming weeks to be nothing more than standard confirmation bias crap.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
God love the polls.

Mizzou showed enough warts that they could've been legitimately knocked from the rankings altogether...and they actually go up in the USA Today poll.

I still don't know why they even bother with rankings until week 6 of the season. A lot of mischief would be avoided if they'd quit doing pre-season rankings and allowing the coming weeks to be nothing more than standard confirmation bias crap.

Polls are a joke; coaches poll is the only one I half-way listen to and half the time they aren't even paying attention.

I'm pulling for MU to come in here and jack up Arizona State this weekend. Hope they have already started to super-huydrate.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
God love the polls.

They should just be like school and get rid of the rankings entirely, every school gets an A or a B as it's ranking, for the national championship you'll draw two schools out of a hat to play each other(hey we have to be fair and equitable!).

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Polls are a joke; coaches poll is the only one I half-way listen to and half the time they aren't even paying attention.

I'm pulling for MU to come in here and jack up Arizona State this weekend. Hope they have already started to super-huydrate.

I'm hoping the James Franklin I expected to see makes the trip.

If so, we can take 'em.

If not - it's gonna be a long day.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping the James Franklin I expected to see makes the trip.

If so, we can take 'em.

If not - it's gonna be a long day.

It is figging tough to travel out here across two time zones into the hottest metropolitan area in the world and play a night game. Big advantage for ASU. You will never see them travelling east to play one of us in November.
Go Tigers, put a whipping on the lame Devils.

Bearcat
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I still don't know why they even bother with rankings until week 6 of the season.

"#3 Oregon vs #4 LSU" looks a lot better than "Oregon vs LSU".

They tend to adjust fairly quickly early in the season... granted, teams that merely struggle to beat inferior competition won't drop that far, since voters obviously aren't going to watch every game or even see much more than 'W' or 'L'.

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
They should just be like school and get rid of the rankings entirely, every school gets an A or a B as it's ranking, for the national championship you'll draw two schools out of a hat to play each other(hey we have to be fair and equitable!).

I don't mind the rankings, but I hate that they have them before a team has even taken the field, especially in a game as volatile as college football. For all it's 'professional' mystique - we're still talking about amateur athletics here and a game played by guys that are 18-22 yrs old.

Then from there, they just spend the rest of the season moving teams up if they win and dropping them if they lose without even paying attention to how they play. Hell, in a lot of cases, the SID makes the vote.

Wait until week 6 then have your first vote. Those opinions will be far better informed and far more accurate than just throwing out a pre-season ranking and looking for reasons to maintain the status-quo.

ohiobronco2
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Notebook: Floyd not eligible, hearing set for today
StoryCommentsShareShare Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size
Dana Burke / Alligator Staff

Will MuschampFlorida coach Will Muschamp would not comment on the status of Sharrif Floyd’s eligibility on Monday after the school announced before Saturday’s game that Floyd would not play.

.Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:45 am

Notebook: Floyd not eligible, hearing set for today GREG LUCA, Alligator Staff Writer The Independent Florida Alligator | 0 comments
Two days after sophomore Sharrif Floyd was declared ineligible just prior to Florida’s season opener, the reasoning behind his status remains unclear.

Coach Will Muschamp declined further comment Monday, saying only, “He’s fine.”

The University Athletic Association released a statement saying Floyd will remain ineligible until he is cleared to play by the NCAA. The only clarification offered was to say that the issue “is not related to sports agents, University of Florida boosters or his recruitment to Florida.”

Ron Cohen, Floyd’s former coach at Philadelphia George Washington High, told the Palm Beach Post that Floyd is scheduled to have a hearing with the NCAA today.

Floyd played in all 13 games as a freshman and was projected to be a starter at defensive end. Senior William Green started in his place against FAU.

Injury update: Muschamp said he expects sophomore fullback Trey Burton and redshirt senior wide receiver Deonte Thompson, both of whom left Saturday’s game with injuries, to be fine.

Burton sustained some bruising in the hip and rib area on his left side. He left in the first quarter but returned later in the game.

Thompson took a heavy hit to the back of the head after making a catch on a crossing pattern early in the fourth quarter, but Muschamp said the wideout did not suffer a concussion on the helmet-to-helmet blow.

Muschamp added that junior wide receiver Omarius Hines, who missed Saturday’s game with a hamstring injury, is expected to be back this week against Alabama-Birmingham.

Also absent against FAU were junior cornerback Jeremy Brown (knee) and sophomore wide receiver Robert Clark (hamstring), who Muschamp listed as “probable-to-questionable” for next week.

Driskel’s playing time: Muschamp restated on Monday the desire to give freshman quarterback Jeff Driskel meaningful snaps, adding that he will do so again against UAB if the opportunity presents itself.

Driskel entered for three plays against FAU with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter, then again with 8:01 left in the fourth.

He completed 4 of 6 passes for 42 yards and an interception, while also running twice for 8 yards.

Weekly awards: Redshirt senior defensive tackle Jaye Howard was named the Southeastern Conference’s Co-Defensive Lineman of the Week following his four-tackle, one-sack performance against Florida Atlantic.

Howard also recorded 1.5 tackles for loss.

Muschamp singled out running backs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps as the team’s offensive players of the week.

Muschamp also cited sixth-year senior and Notre Dame transfer Dan Wenger as the team’s best lineman, while left tackle Xavier Nixon was mentioned as the player who gave the most effort.

On defense, Muschamp gave sophomore linebacker Jelani Jenkins his “Hard Hat Award,” mentioning a powerful hit Jenkins made while breaking up an FAU pass attempt midway through the third quarter.

There have been some rumblings about improper benefits while visiting UNC. Guess we will have to wait and see.

DaKCMan AP
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM

His hearing is/was supposed to be today and an decision is expected before Saturday.

From what I've heard it's related to him being recruited by North Carolina. Obviously, UNC had major violations that affected their team last year. Shariff's issues don't involve his time at UF or his recruitment to UF. I'm not an expert on this, but from what I understand Shariff would be in trouble if he received benefits while being recruited by UNC and then signed with UNC. Since he signed elsewhere I don't think he'll be declared ineligible.

Whatever happens we should know soon and I hope he's on the field quickly because the kid is a monster.

Mi_chief_fan
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
So, Baylor only makes 1 poll, and TCU makes both. :shake:

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
So, Baylor only makes 1 poll, and TCU makes both. :shake:

TCU is in a BCS conference while Baylor is only a mid major....oh wait that'll be in 2012......

ohiobronco2
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
His hearing is/was supposed to be today and an decision is expected before Saturday.

From what I've heard it's related to him being recruited by North Carolina. Obviously, UNC had major violations that affected their team last year. Shariff's issues don't involve his time at UF or his recruitment to UF. I'm not an expert on this, but from what I understand Shariff would be in trouble if he received benefits while being recruited by UNC and then signed with UNC. Since he signed elsewhere I don't think he'll be declared ineligible.

Whatever happens we should know soon and I hope he's on the field quickly because the kid is a monster.

Agreed. Wanted him to come to OSU badly, knew he was going to be a stud. We ended up with Hankins, pretty damn good "consolation" prize. ;)

El Jefe
09-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Agreed. Wanted him to come to OSU badly, knew he was going to be a stud. We ended up with Hankins, pretty damn good "consolation" prize. ;)

Yeah it stung a little losing this kid, but Big Hank is going to be a player, the kid is very big and he is very active. Did you watch the game OB?

Saul Good
09-07-2011, 07:02 AM
God love the polls.

They beat a solid team by 11 points and never trailed. That's not super impressive, but when teams above you lose, you're not going to drop out of the rankings because of it.