PDA

View Full Version : Life Keep your god damned phones in your fucking pockets while you drive

pr_capone
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Lost a friend yesterday because some stupid kid was texting and lost control of her car, went across the highway, and caused my friend to put his bike down.

He lost his life because of you Keonna Whiters of Wichita. I know it was not your intention to cause this good man to lose his life... but fuck you none the less. I hope the DA charges you with Vehicular Manslaughter at the very least.

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/Man_Injured_In_Motorcycle_Accident_Dies_129315583.html

RIP Dwight "Slyder" Pierce - B.A.C.A

ModSocks
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Sad to hear. Every time I notice someone driving like a dumbass I look over and sure enough they're fucking around with their phone.

Scorp
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Sorry for your loss man. Lost a few buddies on bikes as well.

lcarus
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I was listening to pandora on my phone, and I grabbed the phone to change the song to something I liked. Came to a red light and some fat piece of shit next to me rolled down their window and yelled at me "PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING YOU ****ING IDIOT!!". I didn't even bother replying. Some people are just stupid and need to mind their own business. Otherwise I agree that talking or texting while driving is usually a pretty dumb idea.

OnTheWarpath15
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Amazing that his wife was treated and released, yet he died.

Hope they throw the book at this kid.

Donger
09-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I was listening to pandora on my phone, and I grabbed the phone to change the song to something I liked. Came to a red light and some fat piece of shit next to me rolled down their window and yelled at me "PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING YOU ****ING IDIOT!!". I didn't even bother replying. Some people are just stupid and need to mind their own business. Otherwise I agree that talking or texting while driving is usually a pretty dumb idea.

Unfortunately, this man WAS minding his own business.

BigCatDaddy
09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
You'll never get my ass on a bike. If something happens even do to no fault of your own you just pay a much steeper price then if you are in a personal auto such as in this case. Too many shitty drivers to take that chance.

Donger
09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Lost a friend yesterday because some stupid kid was texting and lost control of her car, went across the highway, and caused my friend to put his bike down.

He lost his life because of you Keonna Whiters of Wichita. I know it was not your intention to cause this good man to lose his life... but **** you none the less. I hope the DA charges you with Vehicular Manslaughter at the very least.

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/Man_Injured_In_Motorcycle_Accident_Dies_129315583.html

RIP Dwight "Slyder" Pierce - B.A.C.A

Was he wearing a helmet?

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Amazing that his wife was treated and released, yet he died.

Hope they throw the book at this kid.

Betchya it was riding gear.

Having a helmet and a good riding jacket makes a big big difference in something as benign as a low-side accident (which is what this sounds like). I have a cracked Shoei that can vouch for that and I walked away with nothing more than some pretty good road rash on my legs; not even a headache.

Then again, sometimes it's just damn bad luck. Not much you can do about sliding into the wrong thing.

Hell of a deal. I spend less time on my bike every season because more and more people just can't be bothered to pay attention while they're driving. If you ride for any appreciable period of time and with a sizeable enough group, you'll end up knowing someone that died due to the inattention of an asshole.

pr_capone
09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Was he wearing a helmet?

Neither of them were that I know of.

ReynardMuldrake
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
That's the fucked up thing about motorcycles. You can be doing everything right and STILL get killed by some dumbass in a car that can't drive for shit. R.I.P.

CrazyPhuD
Sorry to hear about your friend...and the truth is ANY phone use hands free or not has been shown to be as impairing as driving drunk.

That said there appears to be something missing in the story. Did he hit another car or did he just lay the bike down? Because if he laid his bike down then that is exactly the kind of accident that protective gear is designed to protect against. Was he wearing protective gear or was he just wearing regular clothes? If he wasn't wearing the proper gear(which many people don't) then even though you won't like it, some of the responsibility for his fate lies with him. Anything can happen riding a bike and there are a lot of things that can cause you to lay one down. Even though it may not always look cool or feel comfortable wearing the right gear can save your life.

The Franchise

There isn't a helmet law there?

Donger

Did he die from head injuries?

pr_capone
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Did he die from head injuries?

Yes - (thought I was quoting Pest's post)

That said, I don't want this to degrade into a helmet vs no helmet argument. It is legal to ride without in KS. Had he not had a car come at him from across the highway he would still be here.

No

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
What did he die from?

Brock
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
254 is a hell of a dangerous road.

God of Thunder
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM

not in KS.

ClevelandBronco
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Too bad that fat piece of shit wasn't a defensive tackle that pulled you out of your car through your newly shattered window and beat you to within an inch of your life before shoving your smart phone up your dumb ass.

mlyonsd
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Texting or dialing a cell phone while driving is no different than driving drunk.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
That's the fucked up thing about motorcycles. You can be doing everything right and STILL get killed by some dumbass in a car that can't drive for shit. R.I.P.

The problem with riding motorcycles is that you can die when you blow a tire, or when a squirrel runs in front of you etc. Part of the attraction to it is the risk and the openness of it. There are many things that can cause you to go down. A good rider is hyper aware of what everyone around him is going to do so that he can be proactive to avoid it. But one cannot predict everything, things happen, that's part of why some people wear more gear than others. They enjoy the experience but they want to protect against the unforeseen. Some people don't like the look or the feel of the gear and that is their choice not to wear it. BUT when you don't wear it your margin of safety goes way down if something does happen.

wazu
09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I was curious what the sentence would be for "Vehicular Manslaughter" in Kansas, so I looked around. Sounds like a stiff fine and four years probation.

Really amazing to see the wide range of how different states handle the crime. Iowa has a Mandatory 25 year sentence! Pretty brutal for something that is accidental. Nevada is 25 years to life. Most states are 1 year or less.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Vehicular-manslaughter.htm

Dayze
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
sorry to hear dude. RIP.

I sold my RR in March, and hate hearing these things.
I rode all gear, all the time. Went down in '03 about 50mph; bruise ribs, and broken bone in my hand, but nothing much more than that. although, I had a dime sized chunk missing from the back of my helmet - would definitely be dead had I not been wearing it.

Although...I'd love to have a DRZ-400SM; kept all my gear for possible future bike.

Skyy God
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes - (thought I was quoting Pest's post)

That said, I don't want this to degrade into a helmet vs no helmet argument. It is legal to ride without in KS. Had he not had a car come at him from across the highway he would still be here.

I'm sorry for your loss, but statistically speaking, helmets save lives. In light of how inattentive drivers are these days, it's especially foolish not to wear one, despite being legally permitted not to.

tooge
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Man, sorry bout your buddy. When are bikers gonna realize they are surrounded by idiots and should wear a helmet?

Hammock Parties
09-06-2011, 01:17 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310213_123743347725066_100002682056574_127748_1987867_n.jpg

fan4ever
09-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Texting or dialing a cell phone while driving is no different than driving drunk.

Absolutely; I would like to see the financial penalty be simular to that of drunk driving.

Lonewolf Ed
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, people will still text and drive. I hate it. I don't even change a CD when I am moving. I'm old school; I still have CDs. I'm sorry about your friend and send prayers to the grieving.

fan4ever
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
You'll never get my ass on a bike. If something happens even do to no fault of your own you just pay a much steeper price then if you are in a personal auto such as in this case. Too many shitty drivers to take that chance.

A few months ago here in PHX a couple was killed by a kid who was texting while driving...and they were walking on the sidewalk...these idiots can kill you no matter where you are.

-King-
09-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Both of them were stupid as fuck for what they did. Sad that one of them had to die because of it though.

Easy 6
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310213_123743347725066_100002682056574_127748_1987867_n.jpg

Her lifes about to take a dramatic turn for the worst.

Brock
09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Both of them were stupid as fuck for what they did. Sad that one of them had to die because of it though.

No, riding without a helmet may be ill-advised, but it definitely isn't that. This man's death, helmet or not, is the responsibilty of this stupid girl.

-King-
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
No, riding without a helmet may be ill-advised, but it definitely isn't that. This man's death, helmet or not, is the responsibilty of this stupid girl.

How is riding a motorcycle at 65+ MPH without a helmet not stupid?

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
sorry to hear dude. RIP.

I sold my RR in March, and hate hearing these things.
I rode all gear, all the time. Went down in '03 about 50mph; bruise ribs, and broken bone in my hand, but nothing much more than that. although, I had a dime sized chunk missing from the back of my helmet - would definitely be dead had I not been wearing it.

Although...I'd love to have a DRZ-400SM; kept all my gear for possible future bike.

I'm not going to argue the helmet thing because opinions are what they are on it.

That said, I've never known someone to go down with one that didn't end up having a hell of a ding somewhere on that helmet that would've been in their dome instead. I've also never known someone to go down with a helmet that would ever dream of getting back on a bike without one.

The good news is that they still have the option...

PR is right though, the real cause here is the bitch in the cage that couldn't be an adult behind the wheel of a 2-ton projectile.

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM

One can only hope.

I'm betting she gets a little shock time and a fine.

The penalties in situations like this are entirely too lenient.

Brock
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
How is riding a motorcycle at 65+ MPH without a helmet not stupid?

How do you know that wearing or not wearing a helmet had anything to do with this? I'm not going to shit on the thread with this stupid argument, sorry.

Brock
09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Kansas usually doesn't charge people for killing people on motorcycles by accident. I know this for a fact.

wazu
09-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Possibly. Assuming she has a conscience she will be racked with guilt for the rest of her life. Much worse than any conceivable punishment that the state of Kansas will hand down.

TheGuardian
09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
A couple of weeks ago I almost got sideswiped by this assclown in a BWM SUV. He was doing something on his phone while it was raining and veered into my lane causing me to gun it and swerve almost off the road to avoid getting hit. I laid on my horn beside him and rolled down my window screaming for him to pull over. Had he, I would have crushed his god damn face in. People need to put their fucking phones away while they are driving. And if you are on a public highway you don't have privacy. I am minding MY business.

evenfall
09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes, choosing not to wear a helmet rockets your risk up. Yes he chose to accept the risk. Yes it means a minor accident can suddenly become a fatal one.

It's sad because this is not an atypical teenager. She was doing what all the rest of them are doing. In my opinion we need policies like other countries have that make it much harder and more expensive to get a license.

There was contributory lack of common sense on both sides. Not all bad things have a clear "your fault."

Donger
09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Not to divert this thread, but how do the youngsters refer to the act of opening/lowering a car window?

Do you refer to it as "rolling" it down?

-King-
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Not to divert this thread, but how do the youngsters refer to the act of opening/lowering a car window?

ROFL Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
ROFL Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

What?

Fish
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I swear I'm going to get one of those cell phone jammers and install it in my car. Fucking people on their phones....

Bob Dole
09-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Absolutely; I would like to see the financial penalty be simular to that of drunk driving.

Bob Dole had a friend who was killed 2 summers ago by a woman who ADMITTED she blew the stop sign because she was texting.

She got a ticket for running a stop sign. All his friends got to go to a funeral.

loochy
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I agree. Driving and messing with your phone is only a bad idea when other people do it.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Bob Dole had a friend who was killed 2 summers ago by a woman who ADMITTED she blew the stop sign because she was texting.

She got a ticket for running a stop sign. All his friends got to go to a funeral.

This is one of the times when lawyers might actually be useful.

There has to be some civil liability in a situation like this.

Easy 6
09-06-2011, 01:50 PM

My friends from Tennessee say 'cut' the window down.

Dayze
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not going to argue the helmet thing because opinions are what they are on it.

That said, I've never known someone to go down with one that didn't end up having a hell of a ding somewhere on that helmet that would've been in their dome instead. I've also never known someone to go down with a helmet that would ever dream of getting back on a bike without one.

The good news is that they still have the option...

PR is right though, the real cause here is the bitch in the cage that couldn't be an adult behind the wheel of a 2-ton projectile.

oh yeah, absolutely. I was just reflecting on my get-off when someone came across the yellow line etc; scary to think about w/out gear (personnally).

I definitely didn't want to take away from that idiot on a cell phone that caused the wreck etc.

mlyonsd
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM

She got a ticket for running a stop sign. All his friends got to go to a funeral.My 79year old dad was T-boned by a kid that was dialing a phone and ran a red light. Luckily it was in town and ONLY totaled his truck.

Same thing, the kid admitted he was dialing. Like, no big deal, that's just the breaks.

-King-
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
What?

Dunno, seemed a little inappropriate for this thread. Gave me a chuckle though.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear of this, my sincere condolences.

Skyy God
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
This is one of the times when lawyers might actually be useful.

There has to be some civil liability in a situation like this.

Except that, in all likelihood, she's judgement proof.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM

The one other bit that most people tend to forget is that merely talking on the phone, regardless of if it's hands free has similar impairment to driving drunk. For whatever reason talking to someone in the car does not have a similar impairment, but if you're talking on the phone at all you are taking an act that has an impairment level similar to drunk driving.

Donger
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM

I presume that she still has her cell phone. Take that away.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 01:57 PM

She may not have assets but if she's under18 her parents might and they are likely liable since it was their car. But you're likely just to sue the insurance company.

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Judgment proof doesn't really mean judgment proof - it means collection proof.

That judgment will last forever (if revived correctly). And it will accrue interest at the statutory rate (9.0% in Missouri).

Take your judgment and garnish every few months. Transcribe it to a lien on their home and try to foreclose on potential equity. Hell, send the Sheriff to take their shit and sell it for pennies on the dollar (sooner or later, they'll get tired of it).

Get your judgment and worry about the rest later. If they're young, you'll get something someday.

/hijack

mlyonsd
09-06-2011, 02:03 PM
The one other bit that most people tend to forget is that merely talking on the phone, regardless of if it's hands free has similar impairment to driving drunk. For whatever reason talking to someone in the car does not have a similar impairment, but if you're talking on the phone at all you are taking an act that has an impairment level similar to drunk driving.

I'm not sure you can say that about all drivers but I know its true for me. I never answer my cell when I'm driving.

Bump
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
there are just way too many morons driving to get me on a bike. Sorry for your loss, but everyone knows the risk.

Lzen
09-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's messed up. RIP.

Out of curiosity, how do you know she was texting? The little snippet in the link doesn't give details.

Too bad your buddy wasn't at least wearing a helmet. I ride with one but not any other gear in the summertime. I hope I don't live to regret that someday, but its just too damn hot to wear gear. But right now its good weather to start wearing my jacket again.

My brother doesn't wear a helmet. I hope his dumb ass doesn't end up like this some day. Maybe I should buy him one for his birthday.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
My friends from Tennessee say 'cut' the window down.

Southerners manage to make just about anything sound dumb. I love 'em and all but my oh my.

Dayze
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
my roomate used to say 'cut that light on', or "cut it off" etc.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Judgment proof doesn't really mean judgment proof - it means collection proof.

That judgment will last forever (if revived correctly). And it will accrue interest at the statutory rate (9.0% in Missouri).

Take your judgment and garnish every few months. Transcribe it to a lien on their home and try to foreclose on potential equity. Hell, send the Sheriff to take their shit and sell it for pennies on the dollar (sooner or later, they'll get tired of it).

Get your judgment and worry about the rest later. If they're young, you'll get something someday.

/hijack

A quick BK and it all goes away.

Demonpenz
09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
I had a family member who was killed while a guy was talking on his C.B. jackass didn't even say breaker breaker

DJ's left nut
09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
A quick BK and it all goes away.

True.

Fortunately we've changed up the BK rules to make that a little tougher.

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
there are just way too many morons driving to get me on a bike. Sorry for your loss, but everyone knows the risk.

yea its tough to say which is more dangerous. Talking on a cell phone while driving or riding a motorcycle in an era where motorists use phones while driving. My news paper reports a local motorcycle death damn near every day so far this summer. Lots of kids getting hit by distracted motorists.

Sorry for your loss OP. RIP.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure you can say that about all drivers but I know its true for me. I never answer my cell when I'm driving.

While no two drivers are the same, high quality academic studies have shown that across multiple test groups of drivers, talking on the phone has similar impairment to driving drunk, whether you are using hands free or not. Just like not every person who drinks and drives has the same impairment, not every one who talk on the phone and drives will have the same impairment. But it's generally not a good idea to even talk on the phone. The one advantage that talking on the phone has over driving drunk is that you can turn your phone off.....

vailpass
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
True.

Fortunately we've changed up the BK rules to make that a little tougher.

I had a judgement against a shitbird way back when. Won't go into details but he owed me a good chunk of change, went BK and walked away. Taught me a lesson.

Valiant
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I had a judgement against a shitbird way back when. Won't go into details but he owed me a good chunk of change, went BK and walked away. Taught me a lesson.

I would find out where he lives and randmly fuck up his vehicles. There is an ass down the street that parks his big ass suv and mustang across from each other, bottle necking the road, while no vehicles in the drive wa. 3 car garage, six car driveway. Pisses me off.

If I still had my beater I would scrape both of them. So now I just throw taco bell at them randomly.

kevonm
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I get the texting thing, I really do. How do you feel about talking with a hands-free device? What about eating while driving? I am sure many are guilty of that, and can be very distracting.

ChiTown
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm guilty of texting and emailing while driving. I curse myself after I do it, and feel like a gawdamn idiot. The next time I feel the urge to do this, I'll remember your buddy, and hopefully make the wise choice. Sorry to hear about your friend.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I would find out where he lives and randmly **** up his vehicles. There is an ass down the street that parks his big ass suv and mustang across from each other, bottle necking the road, while no vehicles in the drive wa. 3 car garage, six car driveway. Pisses me off.

If I still had my beater I would scrape both of them. So now I just throw taco bell at them randomly.

I felt that way until my attorney explained to me what it would feel like to find myself on the owing end of a judgement to him.
I wrote it off as bad debt but have not forgotten who he is. Who knows what life brings us if we are patient?

vailpass
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm guilty of texting and emailing while driving. I curse myself after I do it, and feel like a gawdamn idiot. The next time I feel the urge to do this, I'll remember your buddy, and hopefully make the wise choice. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Do you have voice texting or do you actually type while you drive?

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM

I use voice texting....but that's usually when I'm sitting at a stoplight.

ChiTown
09-06-2011, 04:08 PM

text while I drive......

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Absolutely. I wonder how many more people have to die from this bullshit before law enforcement starts treating it the same way.

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I get the texting thing, I really do. How do you feel about talking with a hands-free device? What about eating while driving? I am sure many are guilty of that, and can be very distracting.
Not even close to the same thing.

-King-
09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't think TALKING on the phone is the same at all. Texting, yes. But talking? Not at all. If you can't talk and drive at the same time, you shouldn't be driving at all.

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think TALKING on the phone is the same at all. Texting, yes. But talking? Not at all. If you can't talk and drive at the same time, you shouldn't be driving at all.
Well you're wrong. I've seen people driving like complete asshats while talking on the phone as well. In fact, I see that more often than I see people texting.

kysirsoze
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Too bad that fat piece of shit wasn't a defensive tackle that pulled you out of your car through your newly shattered window and beat you to within an inch of your life before shoving your smart phone up your dumb ass.

I suppose you've never changed the radio station while moving.

Sorry about your friend, PR. Thank God his wife survived, although she might not feel too thankful right now.

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Well you're wrong. I've seen people driving like complete asshats while talking on the phone as well. In fact, I see that more often than I see people texting.

Hands free or with the phone up to their ear? I'll put my phone on speaker and then put it in the passenger seat and drive just fine.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Talking to a person in you car has little impact in driving capability. Talking on the phone however appears to require much more concentration, this isn't belief, this is academic study under controlled tests that show this. They are trying to determine why there is such a difference in 'in car talking' and phone talking but it may be more the nature of what you are talking about. The studies have shown that hands free or not it makes no difference. It's not your hands being busy that distracts you, it's your mind being occupied, after all in many cases what you need to do to avoid an accident is to slam on the brakes and your foot isn't holding the phone is it?

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Hands free or with the phone up to their ear? I'll put my phone on speaker and then put it in the passenger seat and drive just fine.
Hands free makes a huge difference IMO, it's no different than having a conversation with a passenger. There's something about having a phone up to the ear that makes people go off into their own little world. It's like they forget that they are driving.

kysirsoze
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM

There are always going to be distractions while driving. Just having a passenger in the car you are talking to can be a huge distraction. Personally I don't text and I'll only take a call if I know it to be important and I keep it extremely short. I don't even do that on the freeway, though.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:22 PM

http://www.distraction.gov/stats-and-facts/

Using a cell phone use while driving, whether it’s hand-held or hands-free, delays a driver's reactions as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent. (Source: University of Utah)

ChiTown
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Hands free makes a huge difference IMO, it's no different than having a conversation with a passenger. There's something about having a phone up to the ear that makes people go off into their own little world. It's like they forget that they are driving.

Agreed. Talking hands-free is great. I also voice dial.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
There are always going to be distractions while driving. Just having a passenger in the car you are talking to can be a huge distraction. Personally I don't text and I'll only take a call if I know it to be important and I keep it extremely short. I don't even do that on the freeway, though.

This is probably the biggest difference between driving drunk and talking on the phone. If you have a 20 minute drive ahead of you and start off drunk, you're going to be driving drunk the whole way. But if you have the same 20 minute drive ahead of you and you only spend 30 seconds talking on the phone, only those 30 seconds are you likely to be heavily distracted. You can actually turn the phone off where you can't turn off being drunk. Does this mean it's a good idea to talk on the phone while driving? No....but if you only do it in emergencies and keep it short the impact is limited.

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, there are always distractions. But most of them don't pull your hand from the wheel, eyes from the road and your mind from driving like texting does.

Talking on the phone...I'm kinda on the fence about that one...some do it better than others. But I've seen enough people doing it poorly that it should be outlawed. Hell, some people drive good when they're drunk, but that doesn't mean we should decriminalize drunken driving.

HonestChieffan
09-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Nothing will happen. She will get off, slap on wrist and go right back to same shit in a new car. I'm so glad I dont travel like I used to.

kysirsoze
09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes, there are always distractions. But most of them don't pull your hand from the wheel, eyes from the road and your mind from driving like texting does.

Talking on the phone...I'm kinda on the fence about that one...some do it better than others. But I've seen enough people doing it poorly that it should be outlawed. Hell, some people drive good when they're drunk, but that doesn't mean we should decriminalize drunken driving.

And it's illegal here in CA. Is it not in MO and KS? I'm not up to date on the driving laws there. Texting and non-hands free talking are ticketed here. They start with a nominal fine and escalate for repeat offenses.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM

But think about this for a second. Why would holding up your phone to your ear make any difference? Because one hand is off the wheel? That may impact your ability to make an emergency lane change, but it should have no impact on braking. Why would holding the phone make you more distracted than not holding it? How can holding it make you miss a stop sign or a stop light?

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
And it's illegal here in CA. Is it not in MO and KS? I'm not up to date on the driving laws there. Texting and non-hands free talking are ticketed here. They start with a nominal fine and escalate for repeat offenses.
I'm not aware of any laws regarding it here in NE. One problem is, unless you get into an accident because of it, it's going to be tough to enforce.

The Franchise
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Yeah....it's illegal here....but how many people do you see driving around with a phone up to their ear? I've seen more now that it's illegal...then I did when it was legal.

CrazyPhuD
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm not aware of any laws regarding it here in NE. One problem is, unless you get into an accident because of it, it's going to be tough to enforce.

The non hands free is enforced fairly often. If the cop sees you with a phone up to your ear you get pulled over it's a primary offense. A general no talking on the cell phone with hands free would be impossible to enforce short of blocking cell signals.

Bugeater
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
But think about this for a second. Why would holding up your phone to your ear make any difference? Because one hand is off the wheel? That may impact your ability to make an emergency lane change, but it should have no impact on braking. Why would holding the phone make you more distracted than not holding it? How can holding it make you miss a stop sign or a stop light?
I'm only speaking from my own experience from using both methods. When I used the hands-free device, I found myself pausing from the conversations more often because I was concentrating on driving. I believe there's something psychological about having that phone up to your ear, the conversation tends to become primary and driving secondary.

hlv79
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
pr capone, I am SO sorry for the loss of your friend. My parents (also Harley riders) and I were one of the first on the scene after it happened. I didn't know Dwight and Linda personally, but I am still so broken up about all of this. It never should have happened. Keonna Whitters, unintentionally or not, is a MURDERER. I hope she is remorseful for what she has done, and I really hope they throw the book at her.

Once, again, my sympathies for your loss. My prayers go out to his entire family. :(

-King-
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Maybe it's just the fact that they're simply asshats at driving and not the cell that makes them drive bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wyndex
09-06-2011, 06:09 PM

my wife says calls it "raising" the window down.

I correct her time and time again

Frazod
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry for your loss.

09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Absolutely. I wonder how many more people have to die from this bullshit before law enforcement starts treating it the same way.

I'm sure we will start seeing the posts from people soon stating how it all depends on how well you multitask.

I don't give a crap how well anyone multitasks. Using the cell, putting on makeup, eating, reading, etc should be against the law while operating a moving vehicle.

evenfall
09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I used to text while driving. In the early days of texting when you were using a tactile 0-9*# phone, it was easy to do without looking at the phone. When I for a long time used various Blackberry Curve series phones, it was still fairly easy to do whilst still looking at the road.

Nowadays, a touch screen makes this impossible, so I would only do it at a stoplight.

If this girl was trying to reach her phone and veered into oncoming traffic, it seems more like the careless and inexperienced teen driver is the problem than it was the phone.

I am sorry for your loss of a friend

chasedude
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm sure we will start seeing the posts from people soon stating how it all depends on how well you multitask.

I don't give a crap how well anyone multitasks. Using the cell, putting on makeup, eating, reading, etc should be against the law while operating a moving vehicle.

Yeah, we've gone over this stuff here ad nauseum. My point has already been expressed before so I wont get into my rant.

It is a shame though PR's friend is a direct result in phone/texting use while driving.

People make stupid decisions everyday, some more than most. It's too bad a life is taken while someone was stupid.

You can make all kinds of laws preventing things like this, but you can't fix stupidity.

Ebolapox
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
sorry for your loss.

DTLB58
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM

In Iowa there is a ban against texting but they can't pull you over for that. It has to be something else, then ask, Can I see your phone?

So in another words they don't want to enforce it. Stupid.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iphone by text while driving

boogblaster
09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
RIP .. sorry dude ....

Frazod
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Texting while driving should be illegal. But talking on the phone? I mean, seriously, if I can smoke while driving or drink a pop while driving, why can't I talk while driving? It's not something I like to do, and I keep the conversations short, but it's not like I take my eyes off the road to look at my iPhone while I'm talking on it. Not my fault that there are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to walk and talk on a phone that have licenses. And I can guarantee you that a pleasant conversation with somebody on the phone is far less distracting than an unpleasant one with the wife if she's pissing me off.

As for motorcycles, it's been said several times here, anytime somebody rides one he's putting his life at risk, especially riding without a fucking helmet, and bears a certain amount of responsibility for anything that happens on that basis alone. Best rider in the world can't account for some moron suddenly crossing a lane into him, and there is just no protection.

If this guy had been in a car, he'd be sore and talking to a claims adjuster. That's just the way it is.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I was driving to Amarillo one time and this chick passed me going 80+ steering her car with her knees while putting on makeup. We pulled up beside her and took photos while driving right next and she didn't even notice. we thought we'd have evidence for the inevitable .

Shaid
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I swear I'm going to get one of those cell phone jammers and install it in my car. ****ing people on their phones....

That will just cause anyone driving around you to look down at their phones and make your chances of an accident that much higher.

BigRedChief
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
As for motorcycles, it's been said several times here, anytime somebody rides one he's putting his life at risk, especially riding without a fucking helmet, and bears a certain amount of responsibility for anything that happens on that basis alone. Best rider in the world can't account for some moron suddenly crossing a lane into him, and there is just no protection.

If this guy had been in a car, he'd be sore and talking to a claims adjuster. That's just the way it is.This is true. Yes, he is dead because of the actions initiated by others. But his decision to not wear a helmet might of changed the outcome of the idiot girls decision.

CosmicPal
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a damn shame to lose your life to the recklessness and irresponsibility of someone else's actions. There is nothing that should be that important that you must text while driving. If it's so important, then call the person. Or better yet, pull the phuck over to the nearest parking lot.

hlv79
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Keonna Whitters is a f*cking murderer. That's all there is to it.

pr_capone
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
On my way home I am following a car that keep tailgating the person in front, then nearly slamming on the breaks. Wash rinse repeat several times. Finally get to the intersection where I pull up next to her and the bitch is busy texting while driving.

Kicker?

She has Kansas Firefighter tags on her vehicle.

If you know anyone with a KS FF tag on a grey Kia Soul in Wichita. Beat the shit out of her cuz she sure as hell did not hear me honk or yell.

ThaVirus
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I text and drive all the time. Something I really need to stop, I know.......................................... I am a really good multitasker though.

Sorry about your friend..

09-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Texting while driving should be illegal. But talking on the phone? I mean, seriously, if I can smoke while driving or drink a pop while driving, why can't I talk while driving? It's not something I like to do, and I keep the conversations short, but it's not like I take my eyes off the road to look at my iPhone while I'm talking on it. Not my fault that there are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to walk and talk on a phone that have licenses. And I can guarantee you that a pleasant conversation with somebody on the phone is far less distracting than an unpleasant one with the wife if she's pissing me off.

As for motorcycles, it's been said several times here, anytime somebody rides one he's putting his life at risk, especially riding without a ****ing helmet, and bears a certain amount of responsibility for anything that happens on that basis alone. Best rider in the world can't account for some moron suddenly crossing a lane into him, and there is just no protection.

If this guy had been in a car, he'd be sore and talking to a claims adjuster. That's just the way it is.

I have to disagree. The guy that T boned my van causing it to roll was simply talking on his phone. Not text, just talking. He was too distracted to see the stop sign and he put me and two of my children at risk because if his stupidity.

Frazod
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I have to disagree. The guy that T boned my van causing it to roll was simply talking on his phone. Not text, just talking. He was too distracted to see the stop sign and he put me and two of my children at risk because if his stupidity.

It sucks that some irresponsible idiot ran into your vehicle, but what does that have to do with me? He could have just as easily been distracted by a passenger, or another vehicle, or a jogger with a nice rack. Shit happens.

HonestChieffan
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
It sucks that some irresponsible idiot ran into your vehicle, but what does that have to do with me? He could have just as easily been distracted by a passenger, or another vehicle, or a jogger with a nice rack. Shit happens.

Wait a damn minute. Nice Racks and said viewership is a constitutional requirement or something. Rack n Butts get a pass.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I've been wanting a motorcycle for a long time and this thread is giving me second thoughts.

Really sorry about your friend pr.

RippedmyFlesh
09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Talking to a person in you car has little impact in driving capability. Talking on the phone however appears to require much more concentration, this isn't belief, this is academic study under controlled tests that show this. They are trying to determine why there is such a difference in 'in car talking' and phone talking but it may be more the nature of what you are talking about. The studies have shown that hands free or not it makes no difference. It's not your hands being busy that distracts you, it's your mind being occupied, after all in many cases what you need to do to avoid an accident is to slam on the brakes and your foot isn't holding the phone is it?

This x 1000
Some people get all dramatic talking on their phone which is a big difference from "Get some milk and eggs on the way home"
And no I never talk or text on my phone while driving.

pr_capone
09-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I've been wanting a motorcycle for a long time and this thread is giving me second thoughts.

I rode to work this morning. I'll ride to work again tomorrow. You have to enjoy your life.... just have to keep your head on a swivel.

Fish
09-07-2011, 06:26 AM

I understand your pain. But that idiot girl didn't set out that day with plans to kill someone. She was simply guilty of what nearly every teen driver does on a daily basis. Hell most people here have probably had a situation where they were distracted enough by their phone while driving, that they could have caused an accident. One of your loved ones probably has texted while driving, and probably will again. If you want to be angry, be angry at the fact that our society has let this distracting and dangerous practice continue after countless deaths and studies showing how dangerous it is. Put that effort into a campaign to educate people on the dangers of texting while driving. Because this happens every day and it's a widespread problem.

cookster50
09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
It sucks that some irresponsible idiot ran into your vehicle, but what does that have to do with me? He could have just as easily been distracted by a passenger, or another vehicle, or a <b>jogger with a nice rack.</b> Shit happens.
Pics, I demand pics!

loochy
09-07-2011, 08:45 AM

You wouldn't believe how many times I've caught myself gawking at some chick and I realized that I was paying NO attention to the road. That is probably about 10 times more distracting than a phone. I can ignore the phone - I have a harder time with the jogger. Pun intended.

DJ's left nut
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
I rode to work this morning. I'll ride to work again tomorrow. You have to enjoy your life.... just have to keep your head on a swivel.

Fall is here - I'll be out as often as I can.

Though stories like this do have you remembering your basics a little better. I recall a couple of times last night that I made a special point of swinging towards the center line a little when I was behind a vehicle and we came onto someone turning left, just to make sure he saw me and didn't start his turn after the truck in front of me cleared him.

On my ride into work there is a merge where 2 lanes go to 1 (and the other is an exit only going up a hill to a stoplight). I saw a guy puttering along in the exit only at highway speed and knew there was no way he was getting off there as he'd just gotten on and hadn't started to slow down for the stoplight at the top of the hill. Sure enough, just as the exit split, he cut across the median and back onto the highway. I had already gotten over a lane and watched him rocket right into where I'd have been had I simply not been watching for morons. I tend to watch for crap like that, but I also haven't been on the bike for awhile due to the heat - maybe I'd have been lax but/for the thread?

There are a lot little things riders can do to cut down on the risk of a collision. Things like this remind us to keep up on them and watch for the idiots. A lot of the time they'll give themselves away before they act.

Your friend was an avid rider and had a bunch of other friends that were as well (not to mention the folks on here as well as anyone that reads/hears about the story and rides). If nothing else, there's a good chance that his loss will save someone else from serious injury just by reminding them to be careful out there. People are idiots.

The Franchise
09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I understand your pain. But that idiot girl didn't set out that day with plans to kill someone. She was simply guilty of what nearly every teen driver does on a daily basis. Hell most people here have probably had a situation where they were distracted enough by their phone while driving, that they could have caused an accident. One of your loved ones probably has texted while driving, and probably will again. If you want to be angry, be angry at the fact that our society has let this distracting and dangerous practice continue after countless deaths and studies showing how dangerous it is. Put that effort into a campaign to educate people on the dangers of texting while driving. Because this happens every day and it's a widespread problem.

This.

Calling her a murderer is a little over the top.

Holladay
09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Very graphic PSA from England about teen texting while driving.

Prolly NSFW

I don't know how to imbed.

Saulbadguy
09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
no, denied

Donger
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Very graphic PSA from England about teen texting while driving.

Prolly NSFW

I don't know how to imbed.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0LCmStIw9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Or once again, maybe he was just a bad driver.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Basically, there will always be dumbass people who continue to do dumb shit like text and driving, but you should at least control what you can control and wear helmet/seatbelt everytime you're out on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Holladay
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
And a case can be made that driving a Big Gas Gussling SUV is a good defense vs. crazy kids.

BTW, thanks Donger.

veist
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I really don't like to talk on the phone while driving and try not to do it at all. The texting thing man, I stupidly tried it once and one letter into it I was like "this was a terrible idea, never try to do this again" and put it away. I really think the biggest problem is so many people treat the privilege to use the roads as their unalienable right to do what they want in their vehicle.

Iowanian
09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry about your friend.

That said, I've worked 27.5hrs the past 2 days covering about 500 miles to do it. There is no way I can get my work done without multitasking and it includes taking phone calls on the road, and sometimes taking a peek at a text or email. I never do it in traffic and wait until I'm stopped to respond other than a call. It's just not feasible to stop every time. If the high-n-mighty who likely do the same thing when not putting scarlet letters on others don't like it, I've got an uncomfortable suggestion.

Today it was very nice out....I had at 2 motorcycles blow past me on rural roads going at least 90. It's harvest season...Construction equipment, combines, wagons.....

Iowanian
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

A little over the top...but pain clouds a mind.

She sounds more like a kid, who did something stupid that had a horrible outcome.

I'd guess we've all be * * close to something as tragic a few times.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
My best friend (well one of 2) is a 28 year old woman who used to text and drive all the time. I've begged her many times to stop and chastized her many times when she texts me when I know she's driving. In the last month or so she's said she's making a real effort to stop. She has gotten better (as far as I know at least) but she still does it. She'll give me the excuse that she's at a stop light or something.

I don't know why she can't just quit doing it. It's not an addiction like drugs or booze, it's a simple choice. She has a 10 minute drive to work, she doesn't need to text me on the way.

I told her about this thread today and showed it to her. She promises to re-dedicate herself. Now show me don't tell me.

Phobia
09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm very sorry for the senseless loss of your friend. Helmet and texting debate aside, the world lost a person for no good reason at all. That sucks.

JoeyChuckles
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
And what should I do if I don't happen to have one of the selected phones that has been damned by god? Then where should I keep it?

Phobia
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry about your friend.

That said, I've worked 27.5hrs the past 2 days covering about 500 miles to do it. There is no way I can get my work done without multitasking and it includes taking phone calls on the road, and sometimes taking a peek at a text or email. I never do it in traffic and wait until I'm stopped to respond other than a call. It's just not feasible to stop every time. If the high-n-mighty who likely do the same thing when not putting scarlet letters on others don't like it, I've got an uncomfortable suggestion.

Today it was very nice out....I had at 2 motorcycles blow past me on rural roads going at least 90. It's harvest season...Construction equipment, combines, wagons.....

Agree about that. But just like anything else, it's unfair to put responsible riders in the group of daredevils who terrorize the roads.

I feel strongly that I can talk on the phone unimpaired. I can't text and drive though. I understand that many people cannot do either and I'm fine with that. Missouri actually has a texting and driving law that makes it legal for adults to text and drive but minors cannot.