PDA

View Full Version : Misc Bow Hunting

Lono
09-08-2011, 09:06 AM
May be in the market for a new bow. Would like some suggestions. I will have max of $450 to spend. I'm looking for a shorter bow so I can use it easier from a blind. I want something quiet, fast, and consistent. I would love to buy a brand new one but don't have that kind of money at the moment. Any suggestions?

Gonzo
09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
I've had nothing but luck with my PSE. I bought it last year from cabelas for 300. Ended up being 400 after I got the add-ons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM
There are a lot of quality bows on the market now. PSE, Hoyt, Diamond among others should have models within your price range. The sneaky expenses are in the sites, releases, arrow rests, dampeners, quivers, arrows, broadheads..............

My suggestion is to go to your local bow shop and shoot some bows and browse the trade-ins. So many people trade bows every year that there should be a good selection right now at a good price, with a quality bow. I bought a mathews DXT last year that was a trade-in with 1yr of light use for about half price.

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
May be in the market for a new bow. Would like some suggestions. I will have max of $450 to spend. I'm looking for a shorter bow so I can use it easier from a blind. I want something quiet, fast, and consistent. I would love to buy a brand new one but don't have that kind of money at the moment. Any suggestions?

I bought a Fred Bear Lights Out a few years ago, all set up and it's been nothing but awesome for me. Shoots great, really quiet, super lightweight and very compact. All the things i was looking for when i bought it.

I've had no trouble dropping everything i've hit with it. Bunch of deer and several loud chirping fucking squirrels.

http://www.kairosarms.com/images/bear.jpg

Lono
09-08-2011, 09:31 AM
We actually have a hunters specialty bow shop around here and I know the guy who runs it. They normally have pretty expensive bows but I will have to hit him up and see if they have any trade ins.

Gonzo, I checked out Bass Pro and the PSE Archery Stinger looks like a pretty descent bow for $399.

Iowanian
09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Don't buy a bow without shooting it.

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Don't buy a bow without shooting it.

Absolutely this.

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Also found this thread on the Lights Out

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=712905&page=1

38yrsfan
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I bought a Fred Bear Lights Out a few years ago, all set up and it's been nothing but awesome for me. Shoots great, really quiet, super lightweight and very compact. All the things i was looking for when i bought it.

I've had no trouble dropping everything i've hit with it. Bunch of deer and several loud chirping ****ing squirrels.

http://www.kairosarms.com/images/bear.jpg

Dang, haven't looked at bows in awhile!

This is what I used for years.
http://arrowfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/Recurve%20Archery%20Bow.jpg

Herters, custom made, 63 1/2", 55lbs. Damn near an English long bow with a lot of distance to it.

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Dang, haven't looked at bows in awhile!

This is what I used for years.
http://arrowfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/Recurve%20Archery%20Bow.jpg

Herters, custom made, 63 1/2", 55lbs. Damn near an English long bow with a lot of distance to it.

LMAO

Easy old timer, we don't need you hurting yourself with this newfangled technology.

tooge
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
I sold my PSE about 3 years ago and bought a Diamond. Love it. Anymore, I think most of the top brands are pretty much the same. I still have the Hoyt I bought when I was 16 years old. Damn things like 46 inches tall.

lcarus
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
In before someone posts youtube video of Fred Bear by Uncle Ted.

38yrsfan
09-08-2011, 12:48 PM
LMAO

Easy old timer, we don't need you hurting yourself with this newfangled technology.

I really appreciate the concern son but those things are designed so that a boy could hunt with them :).

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I really appreciate the concern son but those things are designed so that a boy could hunt with them :).

That's why i warned you. LMAO

38yrsfan
09-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I did breakdown and get a compound and actually used it more. The flatter trajectory and holding on target longer where hard not to like. I believe it was called a Browning Nomad. Might still have it somewhere ..

Fish
09-08-2011, 01:04 PM

I've had no trouble dropping everything i've hit with it. Bunch of deer and several loud chirping fucking squirrels.

LMAO... damn tree rats can sure be annoying when you're hunting for something...

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
LMAO... damn tree rats can sure be annoying when you're hunting for something...

I shot them with my broadheads last year. I used to carry a judo point arrow with me just for those bastards, but i kept grabbing the damn thing out of my quiver when i went to nock and arrow for the day.

Shouldn't probably shoot them with broadheads though. LMAO

Iowanian
09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I carry a couple of thumper tips, with different color fletchings so I don't grab the wrong arrow.

ChiefsCountry
09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a Martin and I really like it.

WV
09-08-2011, 01:15 PM
http://missionarchery.com/Venture-bow.asp

Might be able to find this one close to your price point and it's new. Got Outdoor Life's Bow Test Great Buy for 2011.

Fish
09-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I shot them with my broadheads last year. I used to carry a judo point arrow with me just for those bastards, but i kept grabbing the damn thing out of my quiver when i went to nock and arrow for the day.

Shouldn't probably shoot them with broadheads though. LMAO

Nice... Everyone who's bow hunted for any amount of time has been there. Usually about the time they piss you off to the point of shooting them, and you train an arrow on them, that's when the buck comes trotting through and you're sitting there unprepared.

My uncle used to say it was a good thing to have squirrels running around being noisy. Said that the deer felt more comfortable with other animals running around not giving a shit, as opposed to dead silence and nothing moving.

Lono
09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
http://missionarchery.com/Venture-bow.asp

Might be able to find this one close to your price point and it's new. Got Outdoor Life's Bow Test Great Buy for 2011.

That's a nice looking bow. I'm hoping I can get my golf cart sold so I can go shopping.

Gonzo
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
We actually have a hunters specialty bow shop around here and I know the guy who runs it. They normally have pretty expensive bows but I will have to hit him up and see if they have any trade ins.

Gonzo, I checked out Bass Pro and the PSE Archery Stinger looks like a pretty descent bow for $399.

You know, around your price range most bows are really similar...
I got lucky and picked up my pse for chump change. The top spool was damaged in shipping so I got it for 290. Put on a new spool for 30 bucks and called it a day. I had all the equipment from my old bow so I was good to go. I've been really happy with it. I downed a turkey last spring from 30 yards. I've yet to shoot a deer with it but I will this year. I let several 6-8 pointers go last year because I knew I had a monster 6x7 walking around my stand at dusk. He was a smart fucker but I'll get him this year. I'll have to post the pics from my game camera. He's a 5x6 this year but he's got a nice drop tine and a mammoth spread.

Sofa King
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I carry a couple of thumper tips, with different color fletchings so I don't grab the wrong arrow.

That's it. I'm doing this. Different fletching and back to my judo point.

Lono
09-09-2011, 06:21 AM
You know, around your price range most bows are really similar...
I got lucky and picked up my pse for chump change. The top spool was damaged in shipping so I got it for 290. Put on a new spool for 30 bucks and called it a day. I had all the equipment from my old bow so I was good to go. I've been really happy with it. I downed a turkey last spring from 30 yards. I've yet to shoot a deer with it but I will this year. I let several 6-8 pointers go last year because I knew I had a monster 6x7 walking around my stand at dusk. He was a smart ****er but I'll get him this year. I'll have to post the pics from my game camera. He's a 5x6 this year but he's got a nice drop tine and a mammoth spread.

Talked to a guy I know that runs Fin to Fur. He has a 2010 PSE Stinger for $325 fully loaded. He will also give me $150 trade in for my High Country with no string. I'm going to shoot it Saturday. I can get it a bit cheaper off EBAY but then I would have to worry about selling my bow. Thanks for all the replies.

Gonzo would love to see some pics.

Chiefnj2
09-09-2011, 07:12 AM
www.huntersfriend.com

Otter
09-09-2011, 07:20 AM
PA recently allowed crossbow hunting. I can't wait to shoot one of these babies at bambi.

http://www.skinnymoose.com/hornoutdoors/files/2011/02/Barnett-Ghost-400-Crossbow.jpg

No idea what this adds to the thread but it does contain "bow" so I deem it relevant.

Sofa King
09-09-2011, 07:26 AM
PA recently allowed crossbow hunting. I can't wait to shoot one of these babies at bambi.

http://www.skinnymoose.com/hornoutdoors/files/2011/02/Barnett-Ghost-400-Crossbow.jpg

No idea what this adds to the thread but it does contain "bow" so I deem it relevant.

Cheater.

btlook1
09-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Not a bow hunter here, but have been looking at game cams....what's everyone using. Been thinking about getting one but don't want to break the bank. I know everyone has there preference and wondering what's best...Would like to stay under $150.
Want good photo quality, IR of course and something that takes an SD card so I just swap them out each week. Battery life is somewhat important to as I don't want to have to switch out batteries each week.....going to place it about 150 yards from the house....well in range of the .270.

Sofa King
09-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Not a bow hunter here, but have been looking at game cams....what's everyone using. Been thinking about getting one but don't want to break the bank. I know everyone has there preference and wondering what's best...Would like to stay under $150.
Want good photo quality, IR of course and something that takes an SD card so I just swap them out each week. Battery life is somewhat important to as I don't want to have to switch out batteries each week.....going to place it about 150 yards from the house....well in range of the .270.

With game camera's you get what you pay for.

Chiefnj2
09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

I recently bought a Wildview 5mp camera for around $80. It takes decent photos and uses an SD card. Some minor whiteout issues at dawn/dusk (camera isn't sure which mode it should be in). Trigger speed isn't the best. Camera probably has better use on a food source than in the middle of a trail where the animals are passing quickly. Camera's tend to get stolen where I am, so the least amount of money spent the better.

Gonzo
09-09-2011, 09:04 AM
With game camera's you get what you pay for.

This...

I'm pretty happy with mine, got it for under 120 bucks and I've never had a problem:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Iy53L83v-8yFjK-yJBkOv_E6sIxz52XupyHlV-XuFyaj3jzhs4QxHVcMzgjD681ucjvfv6oQqt_MXS7xtZyzbm8c8Yg_YRZqMT4oTGZ0k3_374hIr91rJ1Vz4F0cEvHQQoOusjgpWB lcl40fDzeCV23JjbLEHGF-Ff3PuIf6aSGDestlwuRL2w

Sofa King
09-09-2011, 09:05 AM
This...

I'm pretty happy with mine, got it for under 120 bucks and I've never had a problem:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Iy53L83v-8yFjK-yJBkOv_E6sIxz52XupyHlV-XuFyaj3jzhs4QxHVcMzgjD681ucjvfv6oQqt_MXS7xtZyzbm8c8Yg_YRZqMT4oTGZ0k3_374hIr91rJ1Vz4F0cEvHQQoOusjgpWB lcl40fDzeCV23JjbLEHGF-Ff3PuIf6aSGDestlwuRL2w

What brand is that?

Gonzo
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
What brand is that?

It's a Moultrie.

Fairly inexpensive, you can find some great deals on-line.

I really like the set-up features and the pics are clear as hell. It won't be long until quality cameras are less than 50 bucks.

lcarus
09-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Still no Uncle Ted video yet? I'm disappointed in you guys.

Sofa King
09-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Still no Uncle Ted video yet? I'm disappointed in you guys.

Quit dicking around and post the damn thing then!

btlook1
09-09-2011, 11:04 AM
It's a Moultrie.

Fairly inexpensive, you can find some great deals on-line.

I really like the set-up features and the pics are clear as hell. It won't be long until quality cameras are less than 50 bucks.

Thanks for the info. that's the brand that was recommended to me and I'm not sure but might be the same model number. Here's a link to good outdoors stuff haven't used them before but the retreiver people recommend this site. Thanks for the info.

http://wingsupply.com/

btlook1
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
after doing a little research the Moultrie D55IR through wing supply site is $40 dollars cheaper than bass pro...for the same thing...in case anyone is looking the prices look much better at that site. Take care.