PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Gaither did not practice today

Coogs
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
This does not sound good!

http://www.bobgretz.com/

September 9, 2011 - Bob Gretz | No Comments

From Arrowhead Stadium

Backup OT Jared Gaither was not practicing with the Chiefs during their Friday morning workout inside the stadium. The big man did not immediately head to the rehab area, but after the stretching period Gaither joined the offensive linemen as an observer. Since he signed in the first week of camp, Gaither has had some knee problems.

We’ll find out later today when the Chiefs release their injury report how serious Gaither’s situation might be for Sunday against the Bills. The only other OT on the roster is recently claimed Steve Mareni, who has not yet played in an NFL regular season game.

There were 61 of 61 players on the field for the practice. WR Jonathan Baldwin continues to be a non-participant due to his right thumb. LG Ryan Lilja was back and QB Matt Cassel didn’t appear to be any worse for the wear of the week on that cracked rib suffered last week.

Discuss Thrower
09-09-2011, 12:20 PM
STOP PRINTING

Chiefnj2
I just assumed Richardson is the starting RT, so I don't see this as a big deal.

durtyrute
What the hell is up with this team bringing lame ducks in. It's been going on for years. "He has a history of being injured" Well lets bring him in for a look.

Munson
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I just assumed Richardson is the starting RT, so I don't see this as a big deal.

We can always count on him.......to have at least one holding penalty per game.:banghead:

MIAdragon
09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
We can always count on him.......to have at least one holding penalty per game.:banghead:

or 3

Coogs
09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Depth?

Marcellus
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
What the hell is up with this team bringing lame ducks in. It's been going on for years. "He has a history of being injured" Well lets bring him in for a look.

Gaither had injury issues before last season?

the Talking Can
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
somewhere John Harbaugh chuckles...

Mr. Laz
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
because they failed to deal with the OT position aggressively enough and didn't have many options.

Chiefnj2
09-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Depth?

What's depth? Did you notice Hudson is the only "depth" for LG, C and RG?

O.city
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
If I was the coaching staff I would be getting to the point with Gaither of either play or don't play until you are fully healed. This is getting pretty old real quick .

DMAC
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Because they read ChiefsPlanet.

HemiEd
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
doomed, due to the need to carry 14 wide receivers

O.city
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
In all honesty the guys seems like a dumb****. Declares himself 100% and wants to start then cant even stay on the field for more than a few days. I know injuries happen but wtf?

gblowfish
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I didn't feel much like getting up and going to work today either, but I managed...

TRR
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Gaither has done nothing since signing. He'll end up being cut IMO sometime during the year because of his inability to stay healthy. The guy has been dinged for the last year and a half now, and even failed the Raiders physical.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm starting to wonder if this is just a lazy thing. He played well in the last game and didn't have any problems. or so it seemed

O.city
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Gaither has done nothing since signing. He'll end up being cut IMO sometime during the year because of his inability to stay healthy. The guy has been dinged for the last year and a half now, and even failed the Raiders physical.
Posted via Mobile Device

I dunno if he will get cut but at this point who knows if he will ever make a difference.

kcxiv
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
He was a low risk high reward. Haley has always stated fromt he get go, that they are going to take it very slow with this dude.

This is not shocking at all. They more or less want him on the roster hoping he can be healthy and it pays off, If not, just cut him. Its not like he's breaking the bank or hamstringing the payroll.

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceActually, what time he did see on the field he looked pretty good.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

It was a low risk, high reward signing. If he fails, so be it. This was heralded as a good signing when they brought him in, so I just love the arm chair 2nd guessing around here LMAO

Coogs
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
What's depth? Did you notice Hudson is the only "depth" for LG, C and RG?

We are a little thin aren't we?!?

Pasta Little Brioni
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
We are a little thin aren't we?!?

There is no argument in that.

O.city
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
It was a low risk, high reward signing. If he fails, so be it. This was heralded as a good signing when they brought him in, so I just love the arm chair 2nd guessing around here LMAO

I'm not upset about the signing. I just really want him to play as I think he improves this oline immensly .

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2011, 01:18 PM
What the hell is up with this team bringing lame ducks in. It's been going on for years. "He has a history of being injured" Well lets bring him in for a look.:rolleyes:

Inspector
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Is he related to Croyle by chance?

O.city
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
"We are just bringing him along slow, hopefully he will be ready to go by next year".

durtyrute
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Gaither had injury issues before last season?

When I said "years" I wasn't referring to just him. Gaither, O'Connell, Moeaki, Broken Crayon, and I'm sure there are more.

durtyrute
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Whose second guessing? I want people to play. We have been doing this shit since Croyle.

CrazyPhuD
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea but he only failed the raiders physical because the concentration of meth in his bloodstream was too low!

whoman69
09-09-2011, 03:34 PM

You don't see Richardson starting as a big deal?

chop
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like to practice.

RealSNR
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Every time he steps onto the field he gives this offense new life. He'll play at some point this season and when he does, we'll rape faces

rtmike
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
If I was the coaching staff I would be getting to the point with Gaither of either play or don't play until you are fully healed. This is getting pretty old real quick .

I was hoping they'd put him on that inactive list for like the first 6 games. After that, they put him on the roster or IR him.

That way he had plenty of time to get healthy & in shape. :hmmm:

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Status Report

OUT

WR Jon Baldwin (thumb)

QUESTIONABLE

T Jared Gaither (knee)

PROBABLE

WR Steve Breaston (hamstring), QB Matt Cassel (rib)

Fritz88
09-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Status Report

OUT

WR Jon Baldwin (thumb)

QUESTIONABLE

T Jared Gaither (knee)

PROBABLE

WR Steve Breaston (hamstring), QB Matt Cassel (rib)

We need EVERY one of those players.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
We need EVERY one of those players.
Posted via Mobile DeviceTo beat Buffalo at home?

We need Cassel and probably Breaston since Moeaki is out. That's it though.

SAUTO
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I was hoping they'd put him on that inactive list for like the first 6 games. After that, they put him on the roster or IR him.

That way he had plenty of time to get healthy & in shape. :hmmm:

so we pay him for a year to get in shape then he could possibly sign somewhere else next year.

Are we a charity now?
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
so we pay him for a year to get in shape then he could possibly sign somewhere else next year.

Are we a charity now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah no shit. We signed him, we are paying him, if he's healthy he needs to play.

GoHuge
09-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Is he related to Croyle by chance?No our guy is a black. The guy you're talking about is a white.

BossChief
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Are we a charity now?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what the franchise tag is for.

O.city
09-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Hey just needs to not be a pu*** and play...no if he is hurt then don't play. If he is healthy he needs to play.

the Talking Can
09-09-2011, 06:53 PM

we aren't using the tag on a pussy....Gaither has to prove he can be depended on to practice and play

BossChief
09-09-2011, 06:55 PM
My hope is that he is ready to go around week 7 or 8.

That's when the shit gets interesting.

BossChief
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
we aren't using the tag on a pussy....Gaither has to prove he can be depended on to practice and play

None of us know the whole story.

If he takes over at one point this season and plays the way he can, he will get franchised and while playing on the tag he will show if he is worthy of earning a long term deal.

O.city
09-09-2011, 07:03 PM

If he takes over at one point this season and plays the way he can, he will get franchised and while playing on the tag he will show if he is worthy of earning a long term deal.

I think this is the situation that the coaching staff is hoping for.

rtmike
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Are we a charity now?
Posted via Mobile Device

What did he sign for? The league minimum?

It's not like we're up against the cap. He sounded grateful that the Chiefs took a chance & signed him. Imo, the last thing he'd do is bolt on the team that gave him a chance.

But what do I know? I'm just a nobody running my mouth on the intraweb. ;)

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey just needs to not be a pu*** and play...no if he is hurt then don't play. If he is healthy he needs to play.Seriously? You censored 'pussy'?

GoHuge
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
My hope is that he is ready to go around week 7 or 8.

That's when the shit gets interesting.Usually I agree with this, but this year (schedule), with this team? Shit could be chest deep by then and the season could literally already be a murder, death, kill.

They have got to get this fucker going almost full throttle out of the box. After I look at our schedule and take the red shaded glasses off I can't get past 9-7 and that's being generous. I'll be going batshit crazy during the game I just hope I can flip the "realist" switch the way I have the last 3-4 years. Game over........moving on. I use to be sick until Wednesday when we lost, but it just isn't worth putting myself through it like I use to. Can do it with the Chiefs and Royals no problem..........now if I make that happen with K-State I'll be set.

O.city
09-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Seriously? You censored 'pussy'?

I wasn't sure being a noob and didn't wanna upset anyone. My bad.

The Bad Guy
09-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah there is no chance he's getting any tag with flowers and bowe as free agents.

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I wasn't sure being a noob and didn't wanna upset anyone. My bad.Type whatever you want. fuck. Shit. Piss. See? :D

O.city
09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah there is no chance he's getting any tag with flowers and bowe as free agents.

Hopefully one or both get extended during the season.

O.city
09-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Type whatever you want. ****. Shit. Piss. See? :D

ok thanks man good to know

shitLMAO

BossChief
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM

As long as there are no speedbumps, BOTH will get extensions before then.

I'll even bet on that.

Chiefaholic
09-09-2011, 08:40 PM

worked out pretty well with Trent Green

SAUTO
09-09-2011, 08:50 PM

This dude was talking about ir. Why would we franchise a guy who signed a one year deal and never played a regular season snap?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
09-09-2011, 08:52 PM
What did he sign for? The league minimum?

It's not like we're up against the cap. He sounded grateful that the Chiefs took a chance & signed him. Imo, the last thing he'd do is bolt on the team that gave him a chance.

But what do I know? I'm just a nobody running my mouth on the intraweb. ;)

Could have been all pr. Money talks. No guarantees he would resign with us. We would then have paid him just to use our resources to get healthy and then another team benefits.
Posted via Mobile Device

bringbackmarty
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Shit...

Chiefshrink
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Yes I will surely count on his regular 3 holding penalties, allowing 3 sacks and 10 hurries per game:rolleyes:

This guy has got to go!:banghead:

Chiefshrink
09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
In all honesty the guys seems like a dumb****. Declares himself 100% and wants to start then cant even stay on the field for more than a few days. I know injuries happen but wtf?

And now we know why Balt let him go.

Mofo is just plain "SOFT"

RealSNR
09-10-2011, 12:20 AM
If Jared Gaither is soft, then so was Willie Roaf.

DTLB58
09-10-2011, 12:34 AM
because they failed to deal with the OT position aggressively enough and didn't have many options.

They failed to deal with the position because they expected the players they had to get better and they have failed.

Chiefshrink
09-10-2011, 12:42 AM
If Jared Gaither is soft, then so was Willie Roaf.

The only similiar thing these 2 have in common is their size.

Comparing Gaither to Roaf ?

Gaither hasn't been in the league long enough 'except' to show he is soft too often in a short amount of time so far. Roaf played plenty long enough in between his long spread out 2 injuries to be a ProBowler damn near every year in spite of his injuries.

Respectfully disagree;)

Priest31kc
09-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Geez, Breaston with a hammy issue? Hope that doesn't flare up during the game or Cassel will have even less weapons that he had last year with no Mo, Baldwin & Breaston.

TimeForWasp
09-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Seems to me , that when they are listed as questionable.

More times than not they play. Unless they need the roster spot for another position.

RealSNR
09-10-2011, 01:14 AM
The only similiar thing these 2 have in common is their size.

Comparing Gaither to Roaf ?

Gaither hasn't been in the league long enough 'except' to show he is soft too often in a short amount of time so far. Roaf played plenty long enough in between his long spread out 2 injuries to be a ProBowler damn near every year in spite of his injuries.

Respectfully disagree;)Roaf fully recovered from his potentially career-ending injury.

And yet HOW many times did he miss games from 2002-2005? Too many. I still have nightmares of Jordan Black filling in for half a season in 2005.

There are some guys that just get injured a lot. In Gaither's case, he's only been injured once, but he's still recovering and rehabilitating. That doesn't make him soft.

Chiefshrink
09-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Roaf fully recovered from his potentially career-ending injury.

And yet HOW many times did he miss games from 2002-2005? Too many. I still have nightmares of Jordan Black filling in for half a season in 2005.

There are some guys that just get injured a lot. In Gaither's case, he's only been injured once, but he's still recovering and rehabilitating. That doesn't make him soft.

Why would Balt let him get away if he is that talented then? It's very difficult to get rid of "soft" and that is why they didn't try to retain him IMO.

RealSNR
09-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Why would Balt let him get away if he is that talented then? It's very difficult to get rid of "soft" and that is why they didn't try to retain him IMO.Michael Oher

RealSNR
09-10-2011, 02:18 AM
I assume Gaither was to replace Ogden and doesn't Oher play RT or am I wrong. Not trying to be provoking here.Ogden retired the same year Gaither came into the league through the supplemental draft (2005, I believe). At that point the Ravens spent a.... 5th (?) round pick on what was pretty much a wouldn't-this-be-cool-if-he-played-up-to-his-potential type player. They ended up scoring big.

Oher started out at RT because they had Gaither, but Gaither had that nasty neck/head injury halfway through 2009. Either way, the Ravens certainly weren't drafting Oher to play on the right side, when he was a natural fit for LT in the pros.

Oher was in the 2009 draft, which was before Gaither's serious injury. That says they were planning to replace him/have him play on the right side. When the injury situation picked up and he missed in 2010, the Ravens played it safe and planned to move on without him with a replacement. It's what a smart team would do. But to me, that doesn't necessarily mean they viewed Gaither as a soft guy. They were just taking precautions by finding his replacements now, and when he didn't get a new contract from them, it was obvious they were already moving in a different direction.

RealSNR
09-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Now the thing with the Raiders... who knows. Maybe they were right. Or maybe they're fucking idiots.

Personally, I find it easier to believe that they're the ones with the fucking idiots assessing Gaither's NFL future, not us.

wasi
09-10-2011, 02:49 AM
It could also just be philosophy or arrogance. Obviously the Chiefs think he's worth the roster spot because even at whatever % he at right now he better than anyone out there, with PB talent if he is healthy.

I cant see only one backup, and a rookie none the less, as the only backup on the inside for all 16 games. More than the different approach to the offseason I think this might be the Chiefs biggest area for concern during the season.

whoman69
09-10-2011, 07:09 AM

That's a big jump to franchise him. You're taking him from league minimum to near $10 million. I don't think I put him on par with Roaf just yet.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-10-2011, 07:44 AM

WHAT??? You don't think an injured, back up lineman will get the franchise tag and be paid amongst the highest paid at his position? LMAO What's wrong with you ;)

Dave Lane
09-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Roaf fully recovered from his potentially career-ending injury.

Sadly, Richardson is making me long for the return of I-65

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-10-2011, 02:14 PM
http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=305133 lol

Fritz88
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
To beat Buffalo at home?

We need Cassel and probably Breaston since Moeaki is out. That's it though.

Another SNR fail.