PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notes | Muir ready to make the play calls

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Chiefs notes | Muir ready to make the play calls (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/09/3132195/chiefs-notes-muir-ready-to-make.html)

Offensive coordinator Bill Muir spoke Friday for the first time about his role as the team’s offensive play-caller, a new trick for him.

“You see all this gray hair?” Muir, 68, said after the team’s morning practice at Arrowhead Stadium. “I’m done being nervous.”

Muir, who was Tampa Bay’s coordinator when the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl after the 2002 season, deferred play-calling duties then to head coach Jon Gruden. He said Friday that he had suspected he would be the choice of Chiefs coach Todd Haley to call plays.

“There was an ongoing process,” Muir said. “It’s really not a big deal one way or another. I was prepared to do it. … Do I think I’m qualified to do it? Yes. I’ve been coaching in the National Football League for 34 years. I don’t think calling plays is going to be something I’m not up for.”

Tribute for Sept. 11

The NFL has relaxed its normally rigid uniform policy and will allow players to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles said on his Twitter account that he plans to wear Reebok-issued gloves and cleats to honor the day.

Charles posted a picture online that showed an all-red bottom surface around the cleats beneath a white shoe with large blue stripes wrapped around it and white stars along the heel. The back of the glove is all red, with the words, “Never forget,” circled around the date, Sept. 11, 2001. The palm of the glove is blue, with white stars.

“I never forget,” Charles tweeted.

•Four A-10 Thunderbolt planes will fly over Arrowhead at noon Sunday to commemorate the anniversary.

The planes, from the Air Force Reserve’s 442nd Fighter Wing, will take off from Whiteman Air Force Base, near Knob Noster, Mo., in time for the flyover.

Injury report

Several more Chiefs players joined the injury report Friday, including offensive tackle Jared Gaither’s return to the sideline. Gaither didn’t practice, and he wore a wrapping on his left leg. He was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game because of a knee injury.

Wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin (thumb) missed practice for the third consecutive day and is out for Sunday. Quarterback Matt Cassel (rib) and wide receiver Steve Breaston (hamstring) are probable.

For Buffalo, linebacker Arthur Moats (knee) is out. Nose tackle Torrell Troup (lower back) and wide receiver Marcus Easley (illness) are questionable.

Chiefshrink
09-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Muir ready to be the puppet who must get all his plays "approved prior" to calling them.

Chiefshrink
09-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Tampa Bay OC ???? LOLOL! Yeah right. With Gruden, no way in hell and the same goes for Haley.

hunter121
09-10-2011, 03:33 AM
very good

milkman
09-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Muir ready to be the puppet who must get all his plays "approved prior" to calling them.

Some of you people are so fucking stupid, I find hard to believe that you ever learned to tie your shoe strings.

mcaj22
09-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I dont know how that makes him stupid, I'm not saying he's right,

but I'm pretty sure the first ____ offensive series will all be scripted, and that means Haley approved them in practice.

jspchief
09-10-2011, 07:43 AM
The offensive play-calling this year is one of the things I'm concerned about.

Last year, our offensive play-calling was bi-polar. Brilliant at times, and confusingly horrible at other times. I always attributed it to variation between when Haley was calling the shots versus Weis calling the shots. The problem is, I don't know which guy was the evil scientist, and which was the drooling humpbacked servant.

I just hope whoever is calling the plays this year is capable of emulating the play-calling that made the offense look like a machine at times last year.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-10-2011, 08:06 AM
A lot of teams script out their first few drives. Obviously you have to adapt the script based on performance and situation, but this is <b>nothing</b> new in the NFL.

Just because we have a new OC calling the plays doesn't mean this is unique to the Chiefs.

I swear, it's like this whole board has taken stupid pills for this season.

Great draft last year, looks like a good draft this year, some good FA pick ups and suddenly we're the 1970's Rice?

:facepalm: :cuss:

Ace Gunner
09-10-2011, 08:08 AM
It's real simple; when Jamaal ran the ball for his 6 yard avg, Weis called the play. When Jones ran the ball for 1.2 yards, Haley called the play.

Right? Right.

/moronic simplicity

L.A. Chieffan
09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
im pumped man. the wishbone is gonna kick ass!

MIAdragon
09-10-2011, 12:07 PM
The offensive play-calling this year is one of the things I'm concerned about.

Last year, our offensive play-calling was bi-polar. Brilliant at times, and confusingly horrible at other times. I always attributed it to variation between when Haley was calling the shots versus Weis calling the shots. The problem is, I don't know which guy was the evil scientist, and which was the drooling humpbacked servant.

I just hope whoever is calling the plays this year is capable of emulating the play-calling that made the offense look like a machine at times last year.

I think it was pretty obvious when each were calling the plays.

jspchief
09-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I think it was pretty obvious when each were calling the plays.Really? I didn't pick up on it.

mcaj22
09-10-2011, 12:12 PM
what i dont want is another year by halfway through the season something happens behind the scenes and we lose another offensive coordinator and then the rumors start that Haley is difficult to work with.

Actually, I fully expect us having a new offensive coordinator after this season, whether it be Haley himself, a new guy, Zorn, whoever. 4 offensive play callers in 4 years I predict.