PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Welp, That Wasn't Good

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
That looked like a bad football team that wasn’t prepared to play. That’s probably as succinct as I can be, but I do think there was a little more to it than just that.

1) The Baltimore game last year really exposed us. Since we switched to a 3-4 with OLBs who can’t cover, a number of people commented on the fact that the Chiefs would be abused by tight ends and by receiving backs. For a completely bizarre reason, no one really attempted to do it until Baltimore in last year’s WC game. They showed our complete inability to cover the TE, and Buffalo followed that script exactly. I imagine that will be a recurring problem, as none of our LBs, save for Johnson, have the ability to cover in space, and our safeties really aren’t that good at it either.

2) Some of the offensive ineptitude was due to the coordinator change, but I don’t think you can lay it all at the incompetent feet of Muir. That said, I don’t think he has any business coordinating an NFL offense, but Weis looked better than he probably was last year because Cassel’s numbers were so aberrational. His INT rate was so low, and his TD rate was so high (despite the fact that we didn’t move the ball through the air) that it made it appear as though he was far better than he was. If I were to draw an analogy to Cassel’s 2010, I’d say it was a flyball hitter who had a .380 BABIP. When he regresses this year, partially to his luck normalizing and partially due to playing a harder schedule, it will make Weis look smarter than what he was and Haley and co. look worse.

3) I wonder if the lockout actually will have the opposite of the intended effect. Perhaps the cohesive “character” teams will look worse and the “talent” teams will look better because there was so little time to instill and refine a system, so it takes on more of a sandlot aspect. It’s complete conjecture, but it’s just something that popped in my head as I watched some of the early scores trickle in.

4) Haley’s not in danger this year, but he probably should be, as the coaching situation is one entirely of his own making and the guy he fired put clown shoes on him today, while the other guy he ran off looks golden simply from a lack of association. Cassel probably goes before Haley, even though it shouldn’t be an either/or situation.

5) The clamoring for Stanzi worries me just a touch. He had a fine preseason, but he wasn’t an elite player by any means, and I think handing the reigns over to him or keeping them in Cassel’s hands could be an egregious mistake. I guess want I mean to say is this: if and when the season gets away, give him some run, but unless he does something absolutely extraordinary, don’t let his play influence your desire to go out and acquire a quarterback early.

That’s all I really have. At least…Warpaint looked good today??

Rain Man
09-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I didn't really see enough of Warpaint to make a judgment.

58-4ever
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Good synopsis. I would add that while our linebackers and safeties are bad, our defensive line may be worse. We are going to regret a lot of these offseason moves.

tk13
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I wonder if the lockout is going to make the beginning of this season unpredictable. I thought the league was watered down a bit last year. There was some real sloppy football played today.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if the lockout is going to make the beginning of this season unpredictable. I thought the league was watered down a bit last year. There was some real sloppy football played today.

I didn't watch any other game, but hearing the amount of turnovers that Pitt and Atlanta had, as well as the complete absence of D from the first game, I'd be inclined to agree with that sentiment.

aturnis
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Good to hear from you Hamas. Hope all is good as it can be...

DeezNutz
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Why do you hate the Chiefs?

dirk digler
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Good to see you Hamas and I hope all is well with your new family.

Good analysis but I have to admit I miss the old Hamas...you gone soft

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Good to see you Hamas and I hope all is well with your new family.

Good analysis but I have to admit I miss the old Hamas...you gone soft

Oh, I've definitely gone soft.

I watched the Mizzou game on Friday night with the same kind of lobotomized acceptance.

lcarus
09-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Good synopsis. I would add that while our linebackers and safeties are bad, our defensive line may be worse. We are going to regret a lot of these offseason moves.

I really hate looking back knowing we used a #3 overall pick on Tyson Jackson. I felt Raji was the pick to make there. I'm very hit or miss with who I feel the team should draft/sign, like most people. But I was dead on with that one.

KCrockaholic
09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Where have all the angry posters gone? Dane ran away. Hamas is soft now. OTWP is still kinda there. But IDK, maybe we all just have a numb feeling now.

But seriously, Cassel needs to DIAF.

WilliamTheIrish
09-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Why do you hate the Chiefs?

LMAO

Buehler445
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think I agree with the TE part. Crennel had an answer for Gates last year for the most part. And Gates is a hell of a lot better than that assbag Heap. You are right, it is a huge hole in our game, but I don't think it is because teams didn't try.

Good analysis. Hope all is well with the girls.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Looks like the drafturbators are switching to Stanzi bashing early. Gotta get in practice for the next POS QB not drafted in the first round.

DeezNutz
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think I agree with the TE part. Crennel had an answer for Gates last year for the most part. And Gates is a hell of a lot better than that assbag Heap. You are right, it is a huge hole in our game, but I don't think it is because teams didn't try.

Good analysis. Hope all is well with the girls.

Romeo's answer for Gates was an injury.

doomy3
09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Very solid points, Hamas. Hadn't thought about the angle of the lockout possibly affecting the less talented/more system based teams more, but that could very well be a reality.

Makes it even more asinine that Haley was so soft on them this preseason and had them go to the movies instead of practice, etc. IMO.

Bewbies
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Hell, Cam Newton looked like a star today...

notorious
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Nice synopsis, but my summary of the game is for the simple man:

FAIL

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Berry being out just funked the whole defense.

notorious
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM

It would be nice to go away from this game thinking,"Maybe we just had a horrible day."

Instead, we know this team is bad, and it's best player is on the shelf.

dirk digler
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM

I watched the Mizzou game on Friday night with the same kind of lobotomized acceptance.

I know what you mean. I didn't yell at the TV once today and didn't wish bad things on the opposing team or refs

OnTheWarpath15
09-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Sounds familiar.

Rosemary Kennedy would have given more of a shit than I did today. I rarely if ever leave games early, and if I do, it's with only a few minutes left.

Today?

4:00 left in the 3rd quarter.

Pretty much drove 4 hours home in a fog.

As Ron Burgandy once said, "I'm not even mad, I'm impressed."

Impressed they could even exceed my expectations of suckitude.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Sounds familiar.

Rosemary Kennedy would have given more of a shit than I did today. I rarely if ever leave games early, and if I do, it's with only a few minutes left.

Today?

That's incredible....you left today's the game before I left the playoff game (~10 in the 4th)

And I don't blame you one bit.

Ugh.

O.city
09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Sounds familiar.

Today?

It was amazing man. They just didn't seem to even want to be there. The defensive players seemed to be trying in the first half but nothing was going right. They just were bad today.

notorious
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
It was a very mellow defeat.

No thrown remotes, no cussing, just a few sad laughs at how pathetic the Chiefs were.

BryanBusby
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Because they were doing so well before then

Titty Meat
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Fuck off.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Today?

heh, im waiting for the first thread that tries to blame it on the crowd. You know its coming..

TrebMaxx
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
We miss Smith. The nut crusher brought a nasty attitude that this team lacks.

FloridaMan88
09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Haley’s not in danger this year, but he probably should be, as the coaching situation is one entirely of his own making and the guy he fired put clown shoes on him today, while the other guy he ran off looks golden simply from a lack of association. Cassel probably goes before Haley, even though it shouldn’t be an either/or situation.

This is Haley's final year before his lameduck contract year which means the Chiefs will either fire him or give him a contract extension at year's end.

I'd say that means Haley is in considerable danger if today is a preview of what is to come this year. He already has the wreckless handling of the Chiefs preseason strategy on his tainted record.

Titty Meat
09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
heh, im waiting for the first thread that tries to blame it on the crowd. You know its coming..

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=7899721#post7899721

milkman
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Wreckless?

You're a fucking idiot.

FloridaMan88
09-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Wreckless?

You're a ****ing idiot.

Yeah you are right... playing your starters deep into the fourth and final preseason game... resulting in a season ending injury to a critical part of your passing game.. ISN'T wreckless.

Everytime you post you take dumbshit to a whole new level.

You must amaze yourself sometimes.

crossbow
09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
With our luck we will get the top draft pick and pass on another elite QB.

lcarus
09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah you are right... playing your starters deep into the fourth and final preseason game... resulting in a season ending injury to a critical part of your passing game.. ISN'T wreckless.

Wreckless?

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2011, 07:38 PM

WTF Moeki didn't get hurt late into the game you fucking piece of shit.

SPchief
09-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Moeki got hurt in the 4th?

KCrockaholic
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM

You do realize Moeaki went down in the 2nd quarter, and the offense had zero rhythm to speak of going into that game. They needed to get something going before the regular season started. It didn't happen. But you have to try. And whether it's the 1st pre-season game or the 4th, it doesn't matter. That PT had to be used either way.

milkman
09-11-2011, 07:42 PM
WTF Moeki didn't get hurt late into the game you ****ing piece of shit.

Let him go.

He's on a dumbassery roll.

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2011, 07:43 PM

You must amaze yourself sometimes.Who's the dumbass now? http://www.smiteahippie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Titty Meat
09-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Let him go.

He's on a dumbassery roll.

If only Cassel could have found that much rhythm.

aturnis
09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Wreckless?

You're a ****ing idiot.

An idiot indeed. Guess he doesn't realize that our starters played no more this preseason than the average team, and if anything, less.

Titty Meat
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
An idiot indeed. Guess he doesn't realize that our starters played no more this preseason than the average team, and if anything, less.

I didn't agree with the strategy. Usually the starters play 1 series in the 4th game. I understand it's different this year but I wish they would have done this vs the Rams. Regardless the team still looks totally unprepared.

GloryDayz
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
The good news, the NFL didn't award us with two losses for the same game...

aturnis
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
That's and understatement. This team looks like the Cleveland Indians in "Major League" before they mounted their comeback.

milkman
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I didn't agree with the strategy. Usually the starters play 1 series in the 4th game. I understand it's different this year but I wish they would have done this vs the Rams. Regardless the team still looks totally unprepared.

I thought the stategy was a good one, though I think he waited too long to ramp up the practices.

But in hindsight, with Cassel looking like a backup QB at USC, I don't think this stategy, or any other, had any real chance to succeed.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
That's and understatement. This team looks like the Cleveland Indians in "Major League" before they mounted their comeback.

So all we have to do is get a cutout of Clark Hunt and start ripping off pieces of his suit every week until he's fully nude.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
THERE'S ONLY ONE THING LEFT TO DO
WIN THE WHOLE FUCKING THING

lcarus
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

I thought he was just making fun of the spelling. Guess not.

Buehler445
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Romeo's answer for Gates was an injury.

He stacked double coverage on him IIRC. Gates may have been hurt in the second meeting though. I don't remember.

Hell, I may be hallucinating. I haven't gotten much sleep in the last couple weeks.

Coogs
09-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I thought the stategy was a good one, though I think he waited too long to ramp up the practices.

But in hindsight, with Cassel looking like a backup QB at USC, I don't think this stategy, or any other, had any real chance to succeed.

Spot on with the whole post.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2011, 08:06 PM

The strategy sucked. The whole preseason sucked. Cassel sucked, but certainly wasn't the only reason the team lost.

burt
09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
So all we have to do is get a cutout of Clark Hunt and start ripping off pieces of his suit every week until he's fully nude.

It sucks that I am out of rep....this was golden....

milkman
09-11-2011, 08:12 PM
The strategy sucked. The whole preseason sucked. Cassel sucked, but certainly wasn't the only reason the team lost.

No, Cassel wasn't the only reason.

The points you made in another thread regarding tackling and getting pushed around are right on point.

But I believe the plan would have worked had Haley not waited so long to ramp up practices, and those issues would not have been issues, or at least not to the extent they were today, as well as the fumbling problems we have as a team.

But at the end of the day, I think we lose this game regardless, because Matt Cassel is just a terrible QB.

It might not have been as embarrassing, but a loss is a loss.