PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
AAU schools in the SEC: 4

AAU schools in the Big XII: 2

Even a Big XII member knows that 4 > 2.

Well, technically, there are 3 in the Big XII, if we are assuming MU is gone and while 4 is still greater than 3, you can represent that argument in different ways such as:

1/4 of the Big XII are AAU

2/7 of the SEC are AAU

1/4 is greater than 2/7

Of course, that will change depending on who, if anyone, the Big XII brings in.

Mosbonian
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah. Vandy and Kentucky aren't real exciting opponents in football just yet, though things could change.

Yeah...but MU could travel well to those spots without any difficulty. Especially for the fans in STL. It becomes an even shorter drive.

I still laugh at Neinas' comments about the Big 12 opponents being closer.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help myself.

bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
Those that think KU doesn't have options beyond the big 12 remember they took home the most money in 09-10 in the big 12.

bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
Just because u have not heard anything about KU doesn't mean there is nothing going on.

KU to the Sun Belt FTW!

eazyb81
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Certainly won't hurt in football as SEC stock is high. Of course that could all change in the future

What won't change is the overflow of talent coming from the states of Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, etc. The SEC is set-up to dominate for the foreseeable future simply due to supply.

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Mizzou already has a nice pipeline in Texas. Establishing one in Florida while keeping more of the in-state talent in place will definitely help to solidify the program, although I bet many of the KC recruits will be a tradeoff of this move.

Love the thought of getting some of those FL athletes to go with the TX ones! SEC speed baby!

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Well, technically, there are 3 in the Big XII, if we are assuming MU is gone and while 4 is still greater than 3, you can represent that argument in different ways such as:

1/3 of the Big XII are AAU

2/7 of the SEC are AAU

1/3 is greater than 2/7

However you spin it, the academic argument is retarded. Vandy is the best school in either conference, and the SEC hasn't hurt them any. Mizzou is still an AAU member, so we're fine. I'm pretty sure that Texas Tech and Oklahoma State didn't bring a lot of academic panache, anyway.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
However you spin it, the academic argument is retarded. Vandy is the best school in either conference, and the SEC hasn't hurt them any. Mizzou is still an AAU member, so we're fine. I'm pretty sure that Texas Tech and Oklahoma State didn't bring a lot of academic panache, anyway.

I agree, and I think my math is wrong anyway!

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Mizzou already has a nice pipeline in Texas. Establishing one in Florida while keeping more of the in-state talent in place will definitely help to solidify the program, although I bet many of the KC recruits will be a tradeoff of this move.

Don't forget about Memphis.

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
So MU's division will be:

Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Alabama

Correct?

Ebolapox
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
If the #SEC really wants to have fun, add MU, KU and KSU, expand footprint b first to 16 and have KU v UK in hoops every yr. would b big

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Here's a quote from Jordan Webb, QB for the University of Kansas discussing the fan support at the Tech game.

"It's tough on us because we're beating a Big 12 opponent at halftime then we come out of the locker room and see everybody walk out, it's kind of like well thanks for the support. It's something we can't focus on," Webb said. "We have to try and play our game no matter what. It definitely hurts when you're playing well and there isn't much support."

I wonder if SEC QBs have that problem.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I think Mizzou is going to have a tough time with their Texas pipelines if they decide to go. They will get beat up UT people and they will encourage Texas coaches to steer their kids away from Mizzou. Texans are kinda vindictive about this sort of thing.

DeezNutz
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
If the #SEC really wants to have fun, add MU, KU and KSU, expand footprint b first to 16 and have KU v UK in hoops every yr. would b big

Just because this rumor hasn't been floated before doesn't mean that it's not true.

Saul Good
I agree, and I think my math is wrong anyway!

Yep. 12-2-2 = 8, not 9.

mikeyis4dcats.
Why wouldn't the tourney stay in KC? If it leaves, it's going to Texas. Just one more reason to GTFO when you can.

hey guise! let's play our tourney in a state we don't even have represented in our conference!

dirk digler
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe

sounds like bobby is a little jealous

Anyway I am happy for MU if the move to the SEC happens and I hope we still play KU every year in football and basketball.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe

Who is this guy?

|Zach|
I'd have to see conclusive photographic proof. :D

Where's Zach?

Who do I invoice?

Mr. Plow
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe

Grasping at straws

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Who is this guy?Obnoxious sports talk radio guy on 610 am in KC.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
hey guise! let's play our tourney in a state we don't even have represented in our conference!

There's no way the Big XII will continue it in KC, it will probably move to OKC.

tk13
10-04-2011, 07:49 PM
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe

Yeah, good luck with that. To most SEC areas outside the Kentucky state line, basketball is that thing they do to fill the gap between football seasons.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Obnoxious sports talk radio guy on 610 am in KC.

Oh. Yeah, I can't see the SEC as interested in KU or KSU at all. Although, I did have one fantasy before the ACC expansion of seeing MU, KU, and UNC all together in the SEC. That would have been HUGE!

SPchief
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
@bobfescoe
Bob Fescoe One more thing, why doesnt the big 12 give #mizzou a 24 hr deadline:crap or we push you off the pot. make them decided now. unfair 2 others

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
@bobfescoe
Bob Fescoe One more thing, why doesnt the big 12 give #mizzou a 24 hr deadline:crap or we push you off the pot. make them decided now. unfair 2 others

This Bob guy is not too quick on the uptake is he? If the Big XII kicks them out, they can't demand exit fees. Duh!

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
@bobfescoe
Bob Fescoe One more thing, why doesnt the big 12 give #mizzou a 24 hr deadline:crap or we push you off the pot. make them decided now. unfair 2 othersI guess that would take care of that exit fees issue.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
@bobfescoe

That would kick ass. So much for exit fees.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
This Bob guy is not too quick on the uptake is he? If the Big XII kicks them out, they can't demand exit fees. Duh!Exactly...lol

He's a moran.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, if the SEC is indeed the option you guys "explore", good luck to you. Rather have you here but you gotta do what is best for you. Won't it seem kinda weird that your largest city borders B1G country and your second largest city borders Big XII country? Guess you'll have to do some development down in the boothill or something.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, if the SEC is indeed the option you guys "explore", good luck to you. Rather have you here but you gotta do what is best for you. Won't it seem kinda weird that your largest city borders B1G country and your second largest city borders Big XII country? Guess you'll have to do some development down in the boothill or something.

Nobody's going to be looking at the footprint of the SEC after the Big XII adds BYU and WVU.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Nobody's going to be looking at the footprint of the SEC after the Big XII adds BYU and WVU.

And Louisville, maybe we'll flip each other off on the freeway?

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
@bobfescoe

Hopefully Neinas listens to him!

$0 exit fees!

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Here's Texas' take on the matter...

The Missouri Board of Curators formally delegated the authority to chancellor Brady Deaton to explore conference affiliation for the Tigers Tuesday evening.

Deaton also announced he has resigned his post as chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors to avoid a conflict of interest. (Obviously, the Big 12 is looking to expand, and Mizzou is looking at possibly leaving the Big 12).

But two sources close to the situation said a deal was nearly brokered on Tuesday that would have had the nine remaining schools in the Big 12 granting their TV rights on the Tier 1 and Tier 2 level for more than six years.

One source said the granting of rights would have been closer to the length of time left on the Big 12's Tier 2 TV deal with Fox, which has 13 years remaining.

But as part of the agreement, there were restrictions proposed on Tier 3 content, and Texas balked, the source said. The restrictions had to do with any and all high school content, the source said.

Texas' Longhorn Network has been at the center of debate over the airing of anything having to do with high schools. Currently, the NCAA has said LHN can show high school highlights in a news format. But LHN, which launched on Aug. 26, hasn't even been doing that - to avoid more controversy as the league works out its issues, sources said.

Texas would have to talk to ESPN before making any final decision on content restrictions, since ESPN owns and operates LHN, and those talks haven't yet happened, according to sources.

Two sources close to the situation said ABC/ESPN appears ready to renegotiate the Big 12's Tier 1 TV deal, which still has four years remaining on it.

By having the ABC/ESPN deal on the same timetable as the Fox deal, the Big 12 can improve its bargaining leverage and create a timetable for the granting of rights that could strengthen the league, the sources said.

But none of that will happen unless the schools remaining in the Big 12 can reach agreement on what will be included in the terms of everyone granting rights.

The Big 12 appears ready to expand, and the list of targets getting the most consideration right now continue to be BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, multiple sources said.

But there is mixed opinions inside the league about whether to grow to 10 or 12 (with or without Missouri).

And here's why: ABC/ESPN agreed to keep paying the Big 12 as a 10-team league last summer for the remainder of its deal (through 2015-16). But if the league grows back to 12 and doesn't include Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, but does include the likes of BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, it's not necessarily a better TV product.

There's concern ABC/ESPN could come back and say, "Why should we pay more money to keep everyone at their current TV revenue number when the product is arguably inferior?"

But it's clear that the remaining members in the Big 12 are looking at options to grow to 10 or 12 at the moment, sources said.

But right now it appears Missouri is waiting to see if an agreement in the Big 12 can be reached on a longer term for the granting of rights before making any final decision about bolting the Big 12 (for the SEC), sources said.

Some in the Big 12 are more optimistic than others about the ability to keep Missouri in the fold.

Here's what Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas said Tuesday:

"The University of Missouri is a member in good standing in the Big 12 Conference, and I anticipate the University will continue to be a member of the Big 12."

There does not appear to be a deadline from the Big 12 - right now - for Missouri to make a decision whether to stay or go.

Stay tuned.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1274491

|Zach|
Bob Fescoe. What a goober.

Demonpenz
the thing that was dumb was today I heard on the radio "Who is going to be excited to play bama every year, how is that interesting to people" I was like, I want to see it. I love big time football.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I Mizzou really is just leveraging Texas, this is a balls out move. (And would never happen without a landing spot.)

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Possible Big 12 replacements for MU, NU, CU & TAMU:

BYU
Louisville
West Virginia
TCU
Cincinnati
Air Force
Memphis

Demonpenz
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I hope big 12 gets air force, then we can get better flyovers at arrowhead

Mr_Tomahawk
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

BYU
Louisville
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Air Force
Memphis

Lame.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
And Louisville, maybe we'll flip each other off on the freeway?

Expanding east is going to be awkward when there's a 70,000 square mile Missouri-shaped hole between Kansas/Iowa/Oklahoma and Kentucky/Ohio/West Virginia.

Come to think of it, Iowa will no longer border any other state within the conference footprint. It's now the KOTex conference. Iowa is just the string.

Al Bundy
10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Expanding east is going to be awkward when there's a 70,000 square mile Missouri-shaped hole between Kansas/Iowa/Oklahoma and Kentucky/Ohio/West Virginia.

Come to think of it, Iowa will no longer border any other state within the conference footprint. It's now the KOTex conference. Iowa is just the string.

Well hot Damn

epitome1170
10-04-2011, 08:09 PM

1/4 of the Big XII are AAU

2/7 of the SEC are AAU

1/4 is greater than 2/7

Umm

2/7 = 0.285
1/4 = 0.25

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM

BYU
Louisville
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Air Force
Memphis

If they add BYU and Cincinnati/Air Force/Louisville/West Virginia to go to 10, they will have 3 states in the conference that don't border any other state in the conference.

Maybe they could add BYU, Cincy, Memphis, and TCU. Then, they could have 4 states that don't border any other states in the conference.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Umm

2/7 = 0.285
1/4 = 0.25

It wouldn't be 1/4, it would be 3/8.

Old Dog
As a KSU (and to a lesser extent, KU) fan (my degree is from a school without any real athletic program) I was really hoping that Mizzou would stay, but there's no way in hell they should if they can get to the SEC. Good luck fellas.
I imagine KU will find a landing spot somewhere. Hell, if there is a run in a couple of years of conferences to get to 16, KU could end up in the Big 10 or whatever it's gonna be called.
I'm sure KSU will end up stuck somewhere like the MWC, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I realize that this is really a KU vs MU smack talking thread, I just don't (and never really have) given a damn about that aspect of it. I do hate to possibly see a 100+ year rivalry die though.

Priest31kc
tsnmike Michael DeCourcy
People really think Mizzou going to the SEC will kill the Big 12? No. It'll kill Mizzou.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
As a KSU (and to a lesser extent, KU) fan (my degree is from a school without any real athletic program) I was really hoping that Mizzou would stay, but there's no way in hell they should if they can get to the SEC. Good luck fellas.
I imagine KU will find a landing spot somewhere. Hell, if there is a run in a couple of years of conferences to get to 16, KU could end up in the Big 10 or whatever it's gonna be called.
I'm sure we will end up stuck somewhere like the MWC, but it is what it is.

The B1G could wind up being the biggest loser in all of this. If everything goes to 16, they have already lost Pitt, Syr, and Mizzou. Their pickings are getting pretty slim, so KU might wind up in a pretty good spot.

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
the thing that was dumb was today I heard on the radio "Who is going to be excited to play bama every year, how is that interesting to people" I was like, I want to see it. I love big time football.

Who said that? I know I'll enjoy it & MU better be looking to expand their stadium too.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Greg Swaim saying that the B1G is "offering" Mizzou and Rutgers.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Greg Swaim saying that the B1G is offering Mizzou.Read that too... dude hasn't been much of a source though.

KChiefs1

Iowa State is the one really getting the shaft here...they have no one to cling to.

Demonpenz
Who said that? I know I'll enjoy it & MU better be looking to expand their stadium too.

ohhhh boy 9:30 am 610?

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM

That guy hates Mizzou & is a major douche.

|Zach|
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM

@PreSnapRead
Paul Myerberg
All Missouri wants to do is take its 5 official visits, it sounds like. Gave a verbal to the B12, but taking trips to the SEC, B10, etc.

|Zach|
10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
@bcfremeau
Brian Fremeau
Big Ten, SEC, and Pac12 are playing a hybrid game of Monopoly, Risk, and Battleship. Big12: Don't Break the Ice. ACC: Hungry Hungry Hippos.

DaKCMan AP
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
So MU's division will be:

Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Alabama

Correct?

Yep. Auburn would move to the East.

Demonpenz
10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
big east is playing don't wake daddy

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Yep. Auburn would move to the East.

Alabama vs Auburn would be the cross division rival?

Missouri vs Kentucky or Missouri vs Tennessee or Missouri vs Vanderbilt as MU's cross division rival?

Dr. Gigglepants
10-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Missouri vs Kentucky or Missouri vs Tennessee or Missouri vs Vanderbilt as MU's cross division rival?

Please be Tenn, I could see that going to A&M though. UK or Vandy should be make for the easier match up though.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM

No shit. Yeah, it's real boring being the featured game of the day and having ESPN broadcasting from your stadium lot and having your game anticipated all week at the national level. Who would be interested in that?

KCrockaholic
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM

MU Vs Tennessee IMO

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Probably Tennessee. Ole Miss/Vanderbilt actually have a decent rivalry, maybe Kentucky if Mississippi St would rather play Georgia or Tennessee every year.

Demonpenz
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
The media types in KC are always out of touch of what people think in this town. Everyone I know wants suck for 4 luck and they are looking forward to playing teams like Arkansas

Mosbonian
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
The B1G could wind up being the biggest loser in all of this. If everything goes to 16, they have already lost Pitt, Syr, and Mizzou. Their pickings are getting pretty slim, so KU might wind up in a pretty good spot.

IMO it would serve them right for being so damn smug.......would make me laugh if all the schools they targeted and thought would be there for the pickings at THEIR convenience were snapped up and gone.

Now...the only other thing that would make it better would be for ND to join a conference other than the B1G.

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Mizzou to the East makes way more sense for the SEC.

DaKCMan AP
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM

MU Vs Tennessee IMO

Bama's current cross-rival is Tennesee. There has been some talk that the league would preserve both the Bama-Tennessee and Bama-Auburn rivalry by moving to a 2 cross-division rivalry system and a 9-game league schedule.

The current cross-division rivalries are:
Florida-LSU
Tennessee-Alabama
South Carolina-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Miss. St.
Vandy-Ole Miss.

Crush
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
IMO it would serve them right for being so damn smug.......would make me laugh if all the schools they targeted and thought would be there for the pickings at THEIR convenience were snapped up and gone.

Now...the only other thing that would make it better would be for ND to join a conference other than the B1G.

Notre Dame has already stated that it would join the ACC if it was forced to join a conference.

Dr. Gigglepants
10-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Bama's current cross-rival is Tennesee. There has been some talk that the league would preserve both the Bama-Tennessee and Bama-Auburn rivalry by moving to a 2 cross-division rivalry system and a 9-game league schedule.

Florida-LSU
Tennessee-Alabama
South Carolina-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Miss. St.
Vandy-Ole Miss.

So the easy thing would be to put Mizzou in the East and make the rivalry MU vs. A&M.

KChiefs1

Florida-LSU
Tennessee-Alabama
South Carolina-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Miss. St.
Vandy-Ole Miss.

Then Mizzou vs Kentucky would make sense then.

Saul Good

Florida-LSU
Tennessee-Alabama
South Carolina-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Miss. St.
Vandy-Ole Miss.

That seems unlikely. It would be hard to justify shaking up the schedule of the entire conference that much just to preserve one game every 2 years. Bama Tenn really isn't the Iron Bowl, OU/Texas, or Michigan/Ohio State. It's a cool rivalry, but I can't imagine it being a deal-breaker.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

It just makes no sense based on geography.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Notre Dame has already stated that it would join the ACC if it was forced to join a conference.

Really? I don't remember reading that. Can you link that for me?

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
That seems unlikely. It would be hard to justify shaking up the schedule of the entire conference that much just to preserve one game every 2 years. Bama Tenn really isn't the Iron Bowl, OU/Texas, or Michigan/Ohio State. It's a cool rivalry, but I can't imagine it being a deal-breaker.

3rd Saturday in October is a pretty big thing in South.

Bambi
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
http://www.penith.com/uploads/2/5/0/0/2500463/675378.jpg?228

:):):):)

awwwww..... don't be mean

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM

To you, on the outside, it might be just a cool rivalry. It's a huge fucking deal to those fanbases, though. Huge.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
To you, on the outside, it might be just a cool rivalry. It's a huge fucking deal to those fanbases, though. Huge.

So was Nebraska/Oklahoma...(maybe that's a bad example).

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
For the record, I will still pull for the Big XII teams to do well. Nebraska fans seem to root against them, but I hope the league does well. The Corndogs can DIAF, though.

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
So was Nebraska/Oklahoma...(maybe that's a bad example).
Poor comparison. Nebraska left to another conference to better themselves. The Bama/UT rivalry would be broken up just because of some half-Yankee school that those fanbases don't really want in the conference anyway entering the conference.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Poor comparison. Nebraska left to another conference to better themselves.

It was a joke, but Nebraska was pissed about the formation of the Big XII because they lost the rivalry game with Oklahoma every other year. That was 15 years before they went to the B1G.

In that regard, it was an apt comparison. The fact that they eventually flipped the conference the bird and stated that as one of their grievances made it humorous.

Crush
10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Really? I don't remember reading that. Can you link that for me?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6993604/big-east-big-12-talking-possible-merger-sources-say

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
It was a joke, but Nebraska was pissed about the formation of the Big XII because they lost the rivalry game with Oklahoma every other year. That was 15 years before they went to the B1G.

In that regard, it was an apt comparison. The fact that they eventually flipped the conference the bird and stated that as one of their grievances made it humorous.
My bad, I misunderstood you.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
My bad, I misunderstood you.

I should stick to fart jokes and slapping billay around.

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Now that's an apt comparison to the Alabama/Tennessee rivalry.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 09:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6993604/big-east-big-12-talking-possible-merger-sources-say

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.

That's a little different than "Notre Dame has already said..."

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Where is billay at?

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Delaney would shit his pants.

HolyHandgernade
10-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Delaney would shit his pants.

Well, if anything this realignment shit has taught us a "source close to the situation" can just as easily be disinformation as it is actual intentions. Maybe that is ND's preference, but it is a long ways away from "a statement".

mnchiefsguy
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I see that after looking at the possible alignment maps, I think Mizzou would have a greater chance of success sooner in the East. Florida is the powerhouse there, but Tenn is down, and I think Mizzou could hang with South Carolina and Georgia.

Trevo_410
10-04-2011, 09:07 PM
WOOHOOO just got back from school... news looking sooo good !!

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.That's dated Sept. 20

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Where is billay at?He got banned, I guess. See the Nebraska thread.

LiveSteam
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Where is billay at?

Banned

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
For the record, I will still pull for the Big XII teams to do well. Nebraska fans seem to root against them, but I hope the league does well. I agree.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I see that after looking at the possible alignment maps, I think Mizzou would have a greater chance of success sooner in the East. Florida is the powerhouse there, but Tenn is down, and I think Mizzou could hang with South Carolina and Georgia.

The West is just murderous. It would be nice if they would realign in a way that broke it into North and South, but you'd sooner fine the weepin' mama o' Christ in Hell than you would the word "North" anywhere in the SEC.

mnchiefsguy
10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
The West is just murderous. It would be nice if they would realign in a way that broke it into North and South, but you'd sooner fine the weepin' mama o' Christ in Hell than you would the word "North" anywhere in the SEC.

They could have a South Division...and a Deep South Division :D

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM

I'd say you could name the divisions after something other than geography, but the B1G took all the good ideas for names.

Crush
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
They could have a South Division...and a Deep South Division :D

South and Slightly South Divisions

Crush
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I'd say you could name the divisions after something other than geography, but the B1G took all the good ideas for names.

Dogs and Cats Divisions?

NewChief
10-04-2011, 09:20 PM

After attending Indiana/Penn St. game this weekend, all I can say is... run from the B1G as fast as you can. ROFL

At halftime it was 3-3 with like 120 yards of offense by both teams combined. Meanwhile, I'm watching stats online, and a single receiver from Arkansas had put up 220 yards in the first half.

Tailgating also wasn't as elaborate as expected, but I may have just gotten used to the South. It's ironic, because when I went to the UofA, our tailgating sucked because you basically got arrested for having booze anywhere on campus, even if you were over 21. My my my how things have changed since those days.

eazyb81

Bear Bryant Division and ........whoever is the second best SEC football coach.

Demonpenz
They should call the Divisions Bo and Luke

NewChief
Dogs and Cats Divisions?

Badasses

and

Even More Badasses.:D

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
They should call the Divisions Bo and LukeLMAO

HemiEd
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM

ROFL, truer words have never been posted.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Bear Bryant Division and ........whoever is the second best SEC football coach.

That wouldn't work. The conference isn't going to want to name a division after Gary Pinkel.

tk13
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
After attending Indiana/Penn St. game this weekend, all I can say is... run from the B1G as fast as you can. ROFL

At halftime it was 3-3 with like 120 yards of offense by both teams combined. Meanwhile, I'm watching stats online, and a single receiver from Arkansas had put up 220 yards in the first half.

Tailgating also wasn't as elaborate as expected, but I may have just gotten used to the South. It's ironic, because when I went to the UofA, our tailgating sucked because you basically got arrested for having booze anywhere on campus, even if you were over 21. My my my how things have changed since those days.

You went to an Indiana game, so that was part of it. They were coming off a nice loss to winless North Texas. I'm not sure you can compare it to the SEC but I imagine some of the better football schools would have a better experience.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
You went to an Indiana game, so that was part of it. They were coming off a nice loss to winless North Texas. I'm not sure you can compare it to the SEC but I imagine some of the better football schools would have a better experience.

Yeah, we took it with a grain of salt. Indiana's football program is pretty miserable. I know the midwest knows how to tailgate, because I've been to Arrowhead plenty and seen how KC gets down.

Saul Good
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Like the Michigan State\tOSU barn-burner?

Al Bundy
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
They should call the Divisions Bo and Luke

:clap:

baitism
10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Not sure why anyone would be mad at Mizzou for leaving. They are doing what is in their school's best interests. I would expect any college to do the same. Also, fuck Texas.

Trevo_410
10-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Not sure why anyone would be mad at Mizzou for leaving. They are doing what is in their school's best interests. I would expect any college to do the same. Also, **** Texas.

amen

kcfan82
10-04-2011, 09:33 PM

An Illinois WR went for 260 yards in the 2nd half of their game.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure why anyone would be mad at Mizzou for leaving. They are doing what is in their school's best interests. I would expect any college to do the same. Also, fuck Texas.I hope OU kicks the shit out of them this weekend.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 09:38 PM
An Illinois WR went for 260 yards in the 2nd half of their game.

Impressive (though I think that was his total for the whole game, not just the 2nd half, unless he only had 8 years in the first half, since his game total was 268).

But yes, I'm aware that B1G has teams who can put up points... unfortunately, I was not at one of their games on Saturday. Even more unfortunately, my team was involved in an important shoot out and come from behind victory at the same time.

We still had an awesome time with friends and family in Bloomington, though.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Random post by a random LSU fan, but still...

Welcome Welcome Welcome to the S E C !

Been on the road a bit and heard the reports from your Admin meeting today.

I think Mizzou will be a great fit and fully welcome you to the conference.

Just a side not reading a bit of this board, ignore the nancies in your fan base that are crying about your competitiveness in the SEC.

Mizzou is an underachieving program given its potential and resources. The powers in your OLD conference liked you underachieving and kept you under a boot, a Texas boot.

You took your first and hardest step away from "that". A chance to realize your potential with equitable and fair partners. Think about the SEC chant, and what that really signifies for a while. There is NO conference like that in this country. You are part of that now.

Forge your new destiny Tigers and leave the baggage on a doorstep in Austin. Realize your potential and most importantly embrace your new family. A family that will "get your back" when needed.

That will be the last time I have a nice thing to say about Mizzou, but bet your ass, if someone outside the family has something to say, you have 13 brothers to stand by you now.

KCrockaholic
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Random post by a random LSU fan, but still...

I like that guy.

kcfan82
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Impressive (though I think that was his total for the whole game, not just the 2nd half, unless he only had 8 years in the first half, since his game total was 268).

But yes, I'm aware that B1G has teams who can put up points... unfortunately, I was not at one of their games on Saturday. Even more unfortunately, my team was involved in an important shoot out and come from behind victory at the same time.

We still had an awesome time with friends and family in Bloomington, though.

I get your point, and I'm up in the air as to whether or not Mizzou should leave the Big 12.

Obviously KC is going to get screwed over this ordeal and losing the tournament, and I have no idea why their lawmakers haven't stepped in and pointed that out.

Oh well, I've seen weirder things happen in that state.

Discuss Thrower
10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Am I wrong in thinking there still is a lot of uncertainty even with the MU BoC meeting? Or will that be assuaged tomorrow after SEC meets?

Reaper16
10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Obviously KC is going to get screwed over this ordeal and losing the tournament, and I have no idea why their lawmakers haven't stepped in and pointed that out.

This is all just a powerplay from St. Louis. Now KC is the city in MO that is far away from the rest of the conference. STL always outbargians and outmaneuvers KC in Jefferson City, so why should college athletics be any different?

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Kansas City needs to pull the MVC tournament out of St. Louis.

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
So there has been a decision to make decision?

Luckily, I'm moving to Fresno so I'll already be in the MWC.

kcfan82
10-04-2011, 09:57 PM
This is all just a powerplay from St. Louis. Now KC is the city in MO that is far away from the rest of the conference. STL always outbargians and outmaneuvers KC in Jefferson City, so why should college athletics be any different?

That's a good point, St. Louis doesn't have anything to lose here.

Maybe this is a good time to reiterate how much I hate those *ssholes.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Am I wrong in thinking there still is a lot of uncertainty even with the MU BoC meeting? Or will that be assuaged tomorrow after SEC meets?I think we're gone now. Even if Texas gave in on all of Mizzou's demands, they really can't go back now. The fan base wanted this, and they're fired up about it.

If you want to question Mizzou's leverage in all this, I'd say it was quadrupled as the 4th team to possibly leave the conference. If we do stay, it'll be on our terms, and it'll be good for everyone (but Texas).

I really can't see that happening though.

Crush
10-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Oklahoma State President Burns Hargis is now the new Big XII Chairman.

kcfan82
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I think we're gone now. Even if Texas gave in on all of Mizzou's demands, they really can't go back now. The fan base wanted this, and they're fired up about it.

If you want to question Mizzou's leverage in all this, I'd say it was quadrupled as the 4th team to possibly leave the conference. If we do stay, it'll be on our terms, and it'll be good for everyone (but Texas).

I really can't see that happening though.

What's left to concede outside of HS sports on the LHN?

I believe Mizzou has a PPV game this weekend so third tier rights shouldn't be an issue.

KcMizzou
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
What's left to concede outside of HS sports on the LHN?

I believe Mizzou has a PPV game this weekend so third tier rights shouldn't be an issue.This weekend is on ABC @ K-State. You're thinking of next week. Homecoming vs. ISU.

kcfan82
10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
This weekend is on ABC @ K-State. You're thinking of next week. Homecoming vs. ISU.

My fault.....

I just heard a blurb about Missouri having a PPV game from St. John on 810 this morning.

Setsuna
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
SEC is best so f'ck the rest. Welcome Mizzou! Big XII is for b*tches.

KChiefs1
10-04-2011, 10:28 PM
My fault.....

I just heard a blurb about Missouri having a PPV game from St. John on 810 this morning.

MU turned down tv for the Homecoming because they like the 1pm kickoff.

WilliamTheIrish
10-04-2011, 10:31 PM
SEC is best so f'ck the rest. Welcome Mizzou! Big XII is for b*tches.

Adam... Goddammit, is this one of your siblings? It's like a more brain damaged Samwise Hall.

Frazod
10-04-2011, 11:53 PM
This weekend is on ABC @ K-State. You're thinking of next week. Homecoming vs. ISU.

Which totally sucks dick for me because it'll be PPV or nothing. I pay one low monthly price for the Fox Channels, but the unholy alliance of ABC and ESPrickN doesn't let anybody who isn't local ride for free.

And this is a big game, too, so I'm going to have to pay it. 4321

Al Bundy
10-05-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/oct/04/missouris-leaving-could-signal-end-border-war-bask/
Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says he hopes the University of Missouri remains a proud member of the Big 12 Conference.

If the Tigers do decide to bolt for the SEC, however, they will do so aware there’s the chance they’ll never play KU in hoops in the regular season again.

“To me it’s a great rivalry, one of the best in college basketball without question, but I don’t think I would be interested in having a once a year game like I did when I was at Illinois, playing Missouri,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday night.

He was speaking after learning Missouri’s Board of Curators announced it has delegated power to MU chancellor Brady Deaton to explore options for future conference affiliation.

“I could probably change my mind (but) trust me, we would have no trouble finding another nonleague game to play. I love the rivalry (uninterrupted since 1907 with KU leading 171-94). Playing home and home in the league is great and all those things ... (but) I can’t imagine, why would we continue playing?

“If they choose to be somewhere other than with us and with the other schools that they’ve been a part of and could jeopardize the future of the other schools ... I’m not going to make a commitment now that we’d ever play again. I’m not saying we won’t. I’m certainly not going to pretend that we would.”

Self grew animated when it was suggested the media would likely ask for a continuation of the series with perhaps a once-a-year meeting between the Border War combatants in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I’m not saying it would be bad or won’t be bad (playing once on neutral court). I will say this ... the media is not going to dictate who we play. I’ll dictate who we play as long as I’m coaching here,” Self said. “I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can’t see us just taking it and forgetting. I think that would be something that’d be talked about with our administration and we’d make a decision that’s best for our place. They are making a decision that’s best for theirs. We’ll make a decision on a schedule that’s best for us.

“I am not going to schedule Missouri just to schedule Missouri. I’m going to schedule what’s best for us, period. That’s how it’s going to be.”

There’s already precedent for KU not going out of its way to schedule teams that flee the league.

“We’re not playing Nebraska,” Self said of the Huskers, who like Missouri, are within close geographic proximity to KU. “There are other schools we could certainly try to find games with. That will be sad for a lot of fans if it comes to that,” he added of the end of the KU-MU rivalry. “Hopefully it won’t. Hopefully they’ll want to stay and be part of the Big 12.”

Self stressed that any future scheduling decisions would be made after seeing “how our league plays out. Our league schedule will determine what we do nonconference. I don’t think we would feel we owe anybody or any other school in our league would feel we owe anybody anything that leave. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t continue a relationship. To think we HAVE to do it, there’s no ‘have to’ at all. Only way we do it is if it’s what’s best for us.

“We will do what’s best for us from a scheduling standpoint. And that will create absolutely no controversy at all.”

Self has no idea what would happen in KU’s other sports if the Tigers leave the league.

“I don’t know how the football program feels. I am not into scheduling (football). Unless it’s mandated from above, I want to play who I want to play,” he said. “I’m not saying it wouldn’t be them (Tigers), I’m certainly not. We can’t assume they’d play us.”

One thing is for sure ... “Of course I want them to stay. I want to play them twice a year in the league. They want to play us twice a year in the league. It’s great,” Self said.

Zenger says

track
10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
If MU leaves...have to agree with Self.....permanently take them off the BBall schedule..and all other sports too.

Al Bundy
10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
If MU leaves...have to agree with Self.....permanently take them off the BBall schedule..and all other sports too.

It will hurt basketball a bit, but it will completely wipe out football support, especially in Kansas City.

Bambi
10-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Of course they would.

The other schools are standing strong with each other and will continue to move forward and achieve.

I liked the rivalry with MU mostly because of the history and proximity and it is sad if it has to end.

Kansas is completely happy and makes all the money they need in this conference. They have no reason or desire for things to change so in that regard they are hardly without blame.

Bambi
10-05-2011, 06:14 AM
It will hurt basketball a bit, but it will completely wipe out football support, especially in Kansas City.

Hardly. The football team will be fine.

You see lacking numbers at KU games now for multiple reasons.

1. Many did not support the TG hire and are showing it by staying away.

2. People are going through tough times financially. It's hard for any school in America to have huge fanbases in both major sports. KU fans will pay for bball first. Not a matter of commitment more than it is a matter of their wallet.

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Caution: Butthurt Posts Ahead

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Mizzou and West Virginia fans both seem convinced they are going to the SEC.

NewChief
10-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I love the rivalry (uninterrupted since 1907 with KU leading 171-94).

ROFL

I'm sure KU does love that "rivalry."

I'm not making light of the fact that there's bad blood between KU and MU, because I witness it here constantly. But I think that KU is going to miss the "rivalry" a lot more than MU does, at least in basketball. Of course, earlier in the thread, I sang the praises of getting the joy of playing Alabama in football, so I'm being a bit hypocritical.

NewChief
10-05-2011, 06:48 AM

The WV rumor has been flying around a lot. I really, really hope its MU instead of WV, simply for selfish proximity reasons. WV certainly makes sense to add to the East, though.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 06:53 AM

WVU and its fans are dumb.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
WVU and its fans are dumb.

Yeah, I thought that once and it worked out well for me.

kcpasco
10-05-2011, 06:56 AM
A lot of butthurt coming from Self

Reerun_KC
10-05-2011, 07:07 AM
A lot of butthurt coming from Self

As it should be...

Coach Self is a BCS coach and he loves coaching at KU... MU is going to a BCS conference while KU is headed straight to Conference USA or MWC...

IF they are that lucky...

MU is manning up, KU is swallowing Texas... Why wouldnt Coach Self be pissed?

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Long read, but Awesome.

EXPANSION BY THE NUMBERS 9: ACADEMIC FIT
October 5th, 2011 07:00 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington

As we enter the homestretch of our numbers-specific look at SEC expansion, it might be a good time to look back at what we’ve done so far.

For starters, you can read our original lengthy piece on SEC expansion from May of 2010 right here. There are numbers involved, but our goal was to find which schools — out of the 18 we studied — would best fit the SEC’s profile for expansion. Take a look at it and you’ll find that Texas A&M — viewed as a tag-along with Texas by most people — and Missouri — not considered an SEC option by any other major outlets at the time — scored very highly in our study.

In the past year since that piece was published, we’ve spoken with a number of administrators and sources at BCS-level institutions who have said our breakdowns were on the mark in terms of what school presidents consider when discussing expansion. Armed with those attaboys, we contacted — and were contacted by — other sources in the television, media rights and college sports industries. We asked them for their views on what matters, why it matters, and how much it matters. And with that information, we began this year’s SEC expansion project.

The gist? We chose a ridiculous 35 schools for comparison just to makes sure someone didn’t say, “What about my team?” Sadly, we’ve gotten a lot of that anyway. But we looked at 35 knowing that not all of those 35 would be candidates for the SEC in any way, shape or form.

We also chose to use very simple numbers — often times the numbers used by our sources as examples when talking to us — to help explain what categories matter when it comes to expansion.

Part 1: Grading Potential SEC Partners (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/expansion-by-the-numbers-1-grading-potential-sec-partner/) served as our introduction.

Part 2: Television Markets (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/expansion-by-the-numbers-2-television-markets/) was a look at the Top 40 television markets located within 200 miles driving distance of a school’s campus. A television network executive suggested we just look at the Top 40 markets because that’s likely what networks would consider. We put the line at 200 miles because a line had to be put somewhere.

Part 3: Total State Population (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/expansion-by-the-numbers-3-total-state-population/) provided an indication of the number of potential fans, cable households, and future students/alumni/donors living in a school’s home state.

Part 4: Proximity (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/09/expansion-by-the-numbers-4-proximity/) broke down the distances from our 35 schools to the center of the current conference — Birmingham.

Part 5: Fertile Recruiting Ground (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/expansion-by-the-numbers-5-fertile-recruiting-ground/) was an examination of the total number of NFL draft picks from each school’s home state over a 10-year period.

Part 6: Athletic Budgets (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/expansion-by-the-numbers-6-athletic-budgets/) looked at — wait for it — the athletic spending of each of the 35 schools on our list.

Part 7: Football Stadium Size (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/expansion-by-the-numbers-7-football-stadium-size/) attempted to put a gauge on how much fan support schools count upon as well as the level of “football craze” on each campus.

Part 8: Athletic Success (http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/expansion-by-the-numbers-8-athletic-success/) broke down Director’s Cup success — in order to grasp schools’ overall athletic success — and the number of NCAA Tournament and bowl bids received over a 10-year span — in order to judge success in the two biggest money-making sports.

So…

* We’re looking at too big a selection of schools and we know it.

* We’re using simple numbers in order to avoid debate (though that really hasn’t helped much because anyone seeing a number that makes his/her school look bad immediately attacks that number).

* We know full well that Mike Slive and the SEC’s presidents will not be using a formula to judge expansion candidates. We’re using a formula only as a tool to show which categories matter — according to our multiple sources — when it comes to expansion.

* We’ve tried to make it clear that these categories are numeric representations of “reputations” held by the 35 schools we’re discussing. When it comes to academics, for example, we doubt Bernie Machen, Dan Jones and Harris Pastides will be thumbing through the college rankings of Forbes or US News and World Report. But they will, however, consider whether or not a school would help the SEC’s academic brand… and therefore their own institutions’. The numbers we use help to give you an idea of what reputations these schools carry in a number of areas. We’re using something specific to give you a view into the generic.

* We’ve also tried to make it clear that the politics and timing of expansion can make one category the most important one minute and the least important the next. Think of it like drafting quarterbacks. QB1 and QB2 might be separated by their accuracy. But QB2 and QB3 might be equally accurate which would require them to judged based upon their mobility, for example. In other words — just as our sources have tried to provide for us — we’re trying to provide for you a ballpark idea of how these decisions are made. Nothing is cut and dried. These categories matter, but they may matter in totally different ways to different conferences.

* Finally, we haven’t skewed the numbers. In fact we haven’t even tallied them yet. We’ve written on numerous occasions that Missouri will be accepted as School #14 if it breaks away from the Big 12. We’re not alone in saying that, of course. We’ve said that numerous SEC sources believe Slive would love to land North Carolina (though we think that’s impossible). And we’ve said that West Virginia likely would be a fallback choice only, even though we believe WVU would be an excellent athletic and cultural fit. (Our sources have told us we’re right about West Virginia.) We’ve also stated our opinion that Florida State would be the best possible “get” for the league, but we’ve weighted things so strongly toward “new” markets and new land in this expansion series that FSU may score very, very low in our formula. Even so, we have our views, we know what shaped them, and we know who shares them. So we don’t need to try and convince you to agree with us. We’re not trying to brainwash Slive or influence any SEC presidents (as has been suggested), though I’m sure they’re all glued to this site as we speak. If you agree with our views, great. If you don’t, fine. The only thing we’re trying to convince you of is what matters in these expansion discussions.

All that said, in Part 9, we’re going to look at the academics of our 35 schools.

This Category: Academic Fit

Why: Because the SEC has a definite “type” of school and that similarity helps bind it together. For our purposes, we’ll look at whether or not the 35 schools on our list are an academic fit with the SEC’s 12 current schools. And we’ll do this by studying a number of different factors.

US News and World Report’s 2012 rankings help to give a general idea of a school’s academic reputation. Total enrollment is considered. Ditto whether or not a school is private or a major, public university. We’ll look at religious affiliation as well as the size of the city in which each school is located.

To find the academic fits out there, we first had to identify the SEC’s profile. And here’s what that profile is (not counting soon-to-be-member Texas A&M):

* A public institution. Vanderbilt is the SEC’s only private school.

* A school with an average total enrollment of about 27,000 students (typically with a lesser emphasis on post-graduate studies and research).

* A school ranked somewhere between #58 (Florida) and #157 (Mississippi State). Vanderbilt ranks #17, but it’s certainly not the norm in the SEC. Note also that while presidents would love to nab a school ranked highly (meaning a school with a superb reputation), those schools aren’t likely to jump to Slive’s league. Call it the “halo effect.” School presidents want to associate with other top-name institutions in order to improve their own school’s reputation (and donations).

* A school with no religious affiliation. Not a single SEC school is tied to a church.

* A school in a somewhat rural area. With the exception of Vanderbilt, no SEC school is located in a city with more than 300,000 inhabitants. This “one-horse town” factor is one reason SEC fans are so passionate about their schools’ athletic exploits. With the exception of Nashville, there are no SEC towns featuring major league teams.

That’s a pretty clear profile. Now which of our 35 schools fit it?

The chart below lists the schools from the ACC followed by the Big East, Big 12 and our five “wild cards.” Areas that do not fit the SEC’s profile are italicized. For us to deem a school as a poor academic fit, it must fail to match the SEC profile in two of our four main categories. (Enrollment varies, so we’ll not count off there. That category is just for your information.)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6045/6214302354_373179c39b_b.jpg

* Keeping in mind that we’re talking about an academic fit and not whether or not a school is a good fit location-wise, athletics-wise, etc… we would consider 12 schools to be “perfect” fits with the SEC from an academic sense: Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Connecticut, Rutgers, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

* Last summer, the whole world expected the SEC to turn east in expansion, but instead it’s landed Texas A&M, talked to Oklahoma (last year), and is apparently waiting on Missouri this year. The dysfunctional make-up of their conference is one reason for that, sure, but no league more closely resembles the SEC than the Big 12. Like the SEC, the Big 12 is made up mostly of big, public schools in rural areas. Big 12 schools fit the SEC profile. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the SEC is considering Big 12 schools or membership.

* A number of schools are listed as being academic fits with the SEC, without being perfect. Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and Penn State are all considered to be better academic schools than those in the SEC — fair or not. They also reside in conferences that are considered to be more academically reputable than the SEC. And we haven’t yet seen any school migrate from the ACC, Big Ten or Pac-12 for leagues with lesser scholastic reputations.

* NC State, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are located in larger cities — all with pro teams — and that doesn’t fit the SEC profile. But of those, NC State would be the most likely SEC target because the Wolfpack would give the SEC a foothold in a large Southern state. Another plus for NC State is the fact that despite the city’s size, the only major league professional franchise in town happens to be an NHL team.

* Schools like Texas Tech, West Virginia and East Carolina would add very little to the SEC’s academic reputation. As we’ve noted elsewhere on this site, we’ve heard from more than one source that there are presidents in the league who have concerns about WVU’s reputation. That’s not to say it’s a bad school or that that fact is a dealbreaker, only that it’s been mentioned as an issue. Sorry to anyone that upsets, but it’s what we’ve been told by people working in the administration side of more than one SEC school. (Something has cause WVU to be passed over in the current expansion frenzy.) And if there are academic concerns regarding WVU’s ability to aid the SEC’s reputation, you can bet the same would be true of Texas Tech and East Carolina. Especially ECU.

* Syracuse would be a perfect fit from an academic standpoint if it weren’t a private school. The SEC only has one of those at the moment.

For the sake of comparison, here are the facts and figures for the SEC’s current roster of universities:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/6214302402_eda383f617_z.jpg

* As you can see, 11 of the SEC’s 12 institutions are very, very similar. It’s not hard to spot the league’s overall profile.

* Not surprisingly, Texas A&M will fit the SEC profile perfectly. And if Missouri joins the league, MU will be a perfect academic fit as well.

* Vanderbilt is clearly the outsider in the bunch. A Top 20, private university, located in a major metropolitan area with professional teams competing for entertainment dollars.

* With Vanderbilt, the average US News and World Report rank for an SEC school is #99. Without Vandy, that number falls to about #107.

Up next in Part 10 of our SEC expansion series, we’ll provide some final bonus categories, a full tally of the scores, and a number of observations and conclusions regarding each school on our list.

http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/expansion-by-the-numbers-9-academic-fit/

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike DeArmond is a train wreck.

Bearcat
10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Kansas is completely happy and makes all the money they need in this conference. They have no reason or desire for things to change so in that regard they are hardly without blame.

You're a tool.

Frazod
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Has anybody checked on Stewie? He lost a lot of blood last night.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Has anybody checked on Stewie? He lost a lot of blood last night.

He's really outed himself to be a complete dumbass. Kinda sad.

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Nate Bukaty was literally sobbing live on the air.

"What about my kids?"

ChiTown
10-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Dear God, that was painful listening to DeArmond this morning. I mean, was he drunk, having a seizure, or just still a raving dumbass?

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
This was lost in the shuffle last night, but another great article from Clay Travis on Outkick The Coverage.

Missouri Fans Triumph In SEC Campaign

Published on: October 04, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

Missouri fans decided they wanted to join the SEC and they would not accept no for an answer. Over the past three weeks the Tigers have inundated the board of curators, administrators, and other athletic department officials demanding that the Tigers join the SEC. A few minutes ago those fans' voices were heard: Missouri officially announced its board of curators had unanimously given the chancellor of the university authority to explore conference options. Welcome to the SEC, Missouri fans, you've fought for a league bid when your administration wanted to stay in the Big 12 and risk the future.

When the administration was too afraid to act, the Missouri fans stepped up and refused to risk the status quo. What if the Big 12 nears implosion again in a few years -- which it will -- what if Missouri is left standing when this game of conference realignment musical chairs comes to an end? Nope, Missouri fans weren't willing to risk that.

Not hardly.

That's because the college football universe has changed. And it's not all because of conference realignment. If this had been 1992, the last time the SEC expanded, Missouri's administration could have ignored the fan base and the massive percentages of Mizzou fans -- approaching 90% -- who wanted the SEC. But with the rise of social media, the Internet, Twitter, and Facebook, fans have the ability to mobilize like never before. OKTC felt the groundswell of fan support ever since we broke the news a month ago that Missouri had become the SEC's top target for a 14th school (http://outkickthecoverage.com/missouri-in-play-as-secs-14th.php).

Missouri fans visited the site in record numbers as we continued to post updates on the Big 12 insanity. Finally, Chuck Neinas, interim Big 12 commissioner gave the SEC an opening. Asked whether the Big 12 would survive without Missouri Neinas replied: "Yes, I think it could be viable because there's a lot of strength in the conference."

If the Big 12 wasn't going to die, then the SEC couldn't be blamed for swooping in and making a second big-time addition in the same month.
Now that Missouri is exploring options, let's consider what we know. (By the way, you don't explore options with the intent of staying. Try that line on your girlfriend.)

1. SEC commissioner Mike Slive winsthis stage of realignment.

Slive's SEC adds two AAU schools, doubling the SEC's number of members, adds 31 million people to the SEC's existing 50 million population footprint, goes in to two new states with large media markets, and snags two of the Big 12's four most valuable programs -- Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Missouri were the four most valuable remaining Big 12 schools.

Given that Oklahoma came with the price of Oklahoma State, Texas has always been too scared to join the SEC, and West Virginia isn't a good school and has contractual committments in the Big East until 2014, Texas A&M and Missouri are plum additions.

2. The SEC Network in partnership with ESPN is coming.

This is still not getting much attention outside of OKTC, but I'm telling y'all this -- the addition of Texas A&M and Missouri is not just about getting more money out of the existing network deals. This is about more, a coming network partnership between the SEC and ESPN that will be a stand-alone channel modeled after the Big Ten Network.

Read about that network in two columns I did last week. (http://outkickthecoverage.com/sec-network-in-partnership-with-espn-is-likely.php)

How quickly could this EC/ESPN partner network launch? In time for the 2012 football season if both sides move rapidly, which I think they'll be incentivized to do.

3. Missouri will make a decision to join the SEC by December 1, 2011.

That's because as OKTC told you last week -- there is no legitimate fear of a lawsuit and the Big 12 bylaws are so poorly drafted the damages for departing will be limited. You can read why that is here. (http://outkickthecoverage.com/reality-there-are-no-barriers-to-missouri-in-sec.php)

Missouri's exit fee should be the exact same as Texas A&M so long as they leave the Big 12 before December 1, 2011.

4. Auburn will probably swing to the SEC East.

This will be discussed at the SEC athletic director's meeting taking place tomorrow.

The SEC will play with two divisions.

The SEC East will be: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Auburn

The SEC West will be: Texas A&M, Missouri, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State

5. Who will be Missouri and Texas A&M's yearly rivals?

You'll note that with Auburn's move to the SEC East, the Iron Bowl will become the cross division rivalry. Auburn's game against Georgia will be preserved now as a divisional game.

That means Tennessee and Georgia will need new yearly rivalry games. Who will play Texas A&M and who will play Missouri? That will also be discussed at the SEC athletic director's meeting tomorrow.

Here's an early guess for the Vols drawing Texas A&M. Yep, A&M may have dropped one UT for another.

Now, UT fans are already noting this -- the yearly UT-Alabama game would be the biggest casualty of realignment. The game could be preserved for a year or two, but going forward it would require either nine conference games -- a move that the lesser football schools would fight like hell because it might kill their bowl chances -- or an expansion to 16 and a further reevaluation of all schedules (http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-secs-final-four-of-football.php).

That's why I'm in favor of a simpler solution.

6. Split Missouri and A&M putting the two newest additions in different divisions in the same model used before when Arkansas and South Carolina were added.

In this scenario Missouri and Texas A&M would be yearly rivals but would play in the SEC East and SEC West respectively.
Personally, I like this plan much better. Here's a map courtesy of Mizzou2theSEC. (http://mizzou2sec.com/)

http://outkickthecoverage.com/tyfoon/site/fckeditor/image/missouri%20east.jpg

This would have the benefit of preserving all existing rivalries.

Now the difficulty here is that Missouri would have long trips to Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Games that are difficult to travel to over a weekend.

That could be ameliorated a bit, however by assigning Arkansas as the opening opponent in the SEC West. How about this to begin for Missouri: road games at Arkansas, Kentucky, UT and Vandy, home games with Florida, Georgia, A&M, and Kentucky.

All of the first season's road games would be easily reachable by car. Plus, the mileage for every game but Florida is less than the mileage for a game at Austin, Texas.

Don't believe me? Mental geography can be confusing.

Which is closer to Columbia, Missouri, Athens, Georgia or Austin, Texas?
Athens is actually 60 miles closer. Indeed, Missouri is closer geographically to every SEC East school (Florida excepted) than it is to Texas A&M.

Which do y'all prefer?

Especially with 14 likely just a couple of year stopping off point en route to 16.

7. Now comes the prolonged courtship dance between Missouri and the SEC.

It's already started, and it's a bit like how a vice-president is selected as a running mate.

The offer doens't come until you're sure of the answer.

Missouri will now prepare an application for the SEC and the SEC presidents will consider that application.

Expect for it to be accepted.

And expect for Missouri to join the conference at the same time as Texas A&M.

There's only one complexity that can happen now -- what if the Big Ten suddenly awakes from its slumber and gets interested in expansion too? Then the conference realignment hibernation comes to end in an instant. Until then, and I don't think the Big Ten is waking, Missouri fans are going to be working on their suntans.

Put on sunglasses, Mizzou fans, your future is bright. And lined with sundresses and championships.

duncan_idaho
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Nate Bukaty was literally sobbing live on the air.

"What about my kids?"

I enjoyed hearing SSJ ask Mike DeArmond if he knew any good Arkansas sports talk guys...

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Dear God, that was painful listening to DeArmond this morning. I mean, was he drunk, having a seizure, or just still a raving dumbass?

What did he say that was incorrect? I thought it was a great interview, especially when commentators are actually suggesting Mizzou should have stayed to keep the Big 12 tournament within driving distance for ku fans.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

He's always drunk.

Crush
10-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Mizzou to the SEC East is the best scenario for everyone involved in my opinion.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Mizzou to the SEC East is the best scenario for everyone involved in my opinion.

Mizzou would become annual Gator bait. :D

ChiTown
10-05-2011, 08:20 AM
He's always drunk.

Well, I'd suggest that he's always a dumbass as well.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I can't wait to hear KKs metldown today. I can't stand the guy, but I''ll be sure to listen today so I can hear that cry baby.

beer bacon
10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I thought the Dearmond interview was good, but I'm not a crying KU fan. If you all are so worried about the fate of KC, maybe you should move within the city limits, and help support her.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I thought the Dearmond interview was good, but I'm not a crying KU fan. If you all are so worried about the fate of KC, maybe you should move within the city limits, and help support her.

I'm not particularly worried about Kansas City. I think the basketball tournament will still be held there, because Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State fans will still travel well there.

Even if it's not, who gives a fuck? They could move it to Dallas where no one will go to it, or leave it in Kansas City, regardless of what Mizzou does.

Reerun_KC
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
IF MU does leave... Then KU fans need to start rattling the cages of its Administrators as well...

ChiTown
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm not particularly worried about Kansas City. I think the basketball tournament will still be held there, because Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State fans will still travel well there.

Even if it's not, who gives a ****? They could move it to Dallas where no one will go to it, or leave it in Kansas City, regardless of what Mizzou does.

This

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
IF MU does leave... Then KU fans need to start rattling the cages of its Administrators as well...

Why?

KU (and K-State) are in no position to demand anything, and they'd be stupid to explore other options at this juncture. If MU leaves, add 2 teams to get back to 10 and call it good (for now).

When a school that actually matters (Oklahoma, Texas) get wandering eyes, that is when we need to panic.

Crush
10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Mizzou would become annual Gator bait. :D

Looking forward to it. If everyone falls into place, there is no doubt some exciting some football ahead. Playing in the SEC can only make Mizzou better in the long run. Plus, there is little to no animosity from the rest of the SEC if Mizzou's admittance doesn't fuck everything up.

Saul Good
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I don't know where KU would go right now. If the B1G goes to 16, KU could be in the catbird seat to join Nebraska as Proud (junior) members of the B1G.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't know where KU would go right now. If the B1G goes to 16, KU could be in the catbird seat to join Nebraska as Proud (junior) members of the B1G.

I realize your trip to Worlds of Fun might dictate otherwise, but if super conferences happen, KU and K-State will both have a seat at the table somewhere.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Looking forward to it. If everyone falls into place, there is no doubt some exciting some football ahead. Playing in the SEC can only make Mizzou better in the long run. Plus, there is little to no animosity from the rest of the SEC if Mizzou's admittance doesn't fuck everything up.

Of course the SEC is good for Mizzou and Mizzou is a good addition to the SEC. Plus, it will allow me to talk about SEC football much more (yes, even more than now) around here. ;)

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 08:42 AM

They have a standing offer from the ACC according to Fescoe.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Of course the SEC is good for Mizzou and Mizzou is a good addition to the SEC. Plus, it will allow me to talk about SEC football much more (yes, even more than now) around here. ;)

Mizzou fans, is this what you really what?

Good lord.

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

We may even need to start an Awesome SEC Only Thread to contain the awesomeness.

DaKCMan AP
Mizzou fans, is this what you really what?

Good lord.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/mattminkusshow/files/2011/01/sec.jpg

DaKCMan AP
We may even need to start an Awesome SEC Only Thread to contain the awesomeness.

That would be Awesome squared.

Crush
10-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Indeed. Hopefully, Mizzou doesn't fuck it up.

Frazod
10-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Suddenly you would no longer be the only one who gives a shit.

Saul Good
10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I realize your trip to Worlds of Fun might dictate otherwise, but if super conferences happen, KU and K-State will both have a seat at the table somewhere.

I'm confident that KU will. I'm not so sure about KSU, though. If I'm the KSU brass, priority 1 is getting academics to a level that could lead to AAU membership. Without that, B1G isn't an option.

If Texas, OU, OSU, and Tech go to the PAC, the B1G could take ND, KU, Rutgers, and (fourth school). The SEC could add WVU and FSU, UNC, UVA, or Va Tech.

At that point, if KSU isn't the last team in the B1G, they are fucked. They aren't going to the ACC by themselves.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Mizzou can dream of one day celebrating like this..

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/150/450/GatorsSEC_display_image.jpg?1265255612http://www.renegadebs.com/miscjunk/LSU-Football-SEC.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/254/048/48809112050180_SEC_Championship_FL_v_AL_display_image.jpg?1276189713http://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/auburn-sec.jpg?w=250

Bambi
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
You're a tool.

I don't know who you are?

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Suddenly you would no longer be the only one who gives a shit.

Yet still be the most Awesome.

Frazod
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't know who you are?

He's a KU fan. He's also a moderator, so by all means, keep annoying him.

Frazod
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Yet still be the most Awesome.

I must admit, I do find you slightly less annoying than before. :)

ChiTown
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm confident that KU will. I'm not so sure about KSU, though. If I'm the KSU brass, priority 1 is getting academics to a level that could lead to AAU membership. Without that, B1G isn't an option.

If Texas, OU, OSU, and Tech go to the PAC, the B1G could take ND, KU, Rutgers, and (fourth school). The SEC could add WVU and FSU, UNC, UVA, or Va Tech.

At that point, if KSU isn't the last team in the B1G, they are ****ed. They aren't going to the ACC by themselves.

KSU will be fine. Suffice it to say, they want the B12-2-1(-1?) to stay together for all the obvious reasons. If it doesn't, we'll have a landing in one of the Super Conferences, regardless of AAU status.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM

At that point, if KSU isn't the last team in the B1G, they are fucked. They aren't going to the ACC by themselves.

The SEC wouldn't add FSU. They would kill to have UNC but it's unlikely. Va Tech would be great too, but they may be tied to UVA.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
KSU will be fine. Suffice it to say, they want the B12-2-1(-1?) to stay together for all the obvious reasons. If it doesn't, we'll have a landing in one of the Super Conferences, regardless of AAU status.

Worlds of Fun, bro. W-O-F.

Bambi
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
He's a KU fan. He's also a moderator, so by all means, keep annoying him.

huh?

He called me a name. I just said I didn't know who he was?

I guess I could call him a name back but I don't know him.

no biggie

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Mizzou can dream of one day celebrating like this..

They haven't won a conference title in 40 years. I suppose "dream" is the operative word here.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
huh?

no biggie

Call him a fuck ass.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
They haven't won a conference title in 40 years. I suppose "dream" is the operative word here.

Again..

Mizzou can one day dream of celebrating like this..

WilliamTheIrish
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Are we going to get more sestuna type posters here? I'm against the SEC move based on that chance alone.

Thanks for listening.

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM

Don't sell them short, they are a powerhouse.

Didn't they win a conference title in softball recently? I think they also won a National baseball title in 1954 or something like that.

Don't be dissing them Tigers, they are too good for the Big 12. :D

Bambi
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Call him a **** ass.

I've got nothing against him.

Not sure what he has against me.

Just stating an opinion on a message board.

:)

eazyb81

Didn't they win a conference title in softball recently? I think they also won a National baseball title in 1954 or something like that.

and to think, even with all of that basketball success, still no one wanted you! :D

Bambi

Don't rain on the parade yo.

Facts mean nothing at this point.

Bambi
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
and to think, even with all of that basketball success, still no one wanted you! :D

Don't you realize why the SEC "wants" you?

TV sets and a beatable football program.

It is a very good fit for the SEC brass I have to say.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
so has MU ever won a Big 12 title?

if not, (honestly don't know), what's the difference between that and going to the SEC and having a small chance?

I don't think MU is going to be the bottom-feeder in the SEC that a lot of folks around town are claiming they will. SEC always has a top 2 elite team race, that seems to rotate between teams each year etc, whereas the Big 12 is always the same 2 (UT/OU). So aside from the rotating 2 teams in the SEC that I would say are elite/longshot to beat, MU has a good chance against the rest of the league / as much as the other SEC teams etc.

My $.02.
unrelated note, SEC cheerleaders are way hotter.

Reerun_KC
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Texas wants us...

They like to give it to us real good...

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.greghallkc.com/?p=850#more-850

“I don’t understand this ‘security’ thing. I keep hearing that word. I don’t know what that means. (Missouri) is doing the same thing Nebraska and A&M did. They’re stroking their own ego. They’re saying, ‘We’re better than you.’ ”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM

GH: No, this is the SEC saying Missouri is better than other options. If you exit a burning building, it just means you prefer not to die.

LMAO

ChiTown
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM

/thread over

Frazod
10-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Are we going to get more sestuna type posters here? I'm against the SEC move based on that chance alone.

Thanks for listening.

Well, if we shed some Kansas types in the process, it will be worth it. :D

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
so has MU ever won a Big 12 title?

if not, (honestly don't know), what's the difference between that and going to the SEC and having a small chance?

I don't think MU is going to be the bottom-feeder in the SEC that a lot of folks around town are claiming they will. SEC always has a top 2 elite team race, that seems to rotate between teams each year etc, whereas the Big 12 is always the same 2 (UT/OU). So aside from the rotating 2 teams in the SEC that I would say are elite/longshot to beat, MU has a good chance against the rest of the league / as much as the other SEC teams etc.

My $.02.

Yeah, I remember when Ole Miss hired Ed Orgeron and thought they were going to kick some major ass.

Frazod
10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
huh?

no biggie

Just letting you know that your passive-aggressive idiocy continues to irritate members of all fan bases, including your own.

Carry on.

beer bacon
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Even if it's not, who gives a ****? They could move it to Dallas where no one will go to it, or leave it in Kansas City, regardless of what Mizzou does.

Another angle is that the Big 12 doesn't want to surrender the Missouri side of KC to Mizzou. There is still market there for KU, KSU, and the other Big 12 programs.

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Do we know that yet? I haven't heard anything about the Kansas schools crying, have you? If so, I missed it.

Here is one totally off the wall, maybe WSU could add football back and become a "player?" :D

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks for listening.

Even I find that dude annoying.

Hey! They're going to have to get better in all sports because the Gators have a kick-ass softball team and there are several awesome baseball teams in the SEC!

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey! They're going to have to get better in all sports because the Gators have a kick-ass softball team and there are several awesome baseball teams in the SEC!
Agreed, getting in is one thing, competing is another. But, for their sake, hopefully this will help their recruiting enough to compete. Softball is a year around sport down south, is it not?

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Looks like Petro is getting fired.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 09:22 AM
lol. Petro going against the company line.

DJ's left nut
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Looks like Petro is getting fired.

Huh?

Petro's knocking it out of the park right now, IMO.

Bambi
Just letting you know that your passive-aggressive idiocy continues to irritate members of all fan bases, including your own.

Carry on.

Passive Agressive? Not at all.

Kansas is/was way too comfortable with the situation that is the Big 12.

That is their problem and they need to correct it.

The LHN is worth more than what KU is bringing in 3rd tier so its all out in the open now.

KU is to blame in losing MU as their rival just as much as it is blame MU for not standing by their conference allies of 100 years.

That's the point.

He wants to call me a tool over it then I don't give a fuck. I'm here and willing to talk about how it can work out. For those not interested I couldn't care less.

Dayze
Huh?

I think because KK has the exact opposite take; and KK is his boss (I think)

eazyb81
10-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Huh?

KK is going to fire him for not toting the company motto that Mizzou is crazy for going to the SEC and is going to get crushed.

DJ's left nut
10-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Really? I never thought KK had any direct authority over Petro.

That would suck - Petro's a much MUCH better radio guy than KK.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Really? I never thought KK had any direct authority over Petro.

That would suck - Petro's a much MUCH better radio guy than KK.

yeah, that's just my wild-assed guess. I thought KK was the main guy there etc.

but again, WAG on my part.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
if/when that SEC network deal comes through, I'm totally getting it.

Bambi
10-05-2011, 09:29 AM

KK is a co-owner. But he's been pretty consistent on saying that radio personalities on 810 have complete control over what they talk about.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Agreed, getting in is one thing, competing is another. But, for their sake, hopefully this will help their recruiting enough to compete. Softball is a year around sport down south, is it not?

They're going to have to spend more $$ to compete.

Rank School Athletic Expenses ’09-’10 (Millions)
1 Florida 105.2
2 LSU 102.2
3 Tennessee 96.6
4 Auburn 90.8
5 Alabama 85.3
6 S. Carolina 78.2
7t Georgia 76.2
7t Kentucky 76.2
9 Arkansas 71.8
X Missouri 53.1
10 Vanderbilt 45.7
11 Ole Miss 43.9
12 Miss. State 36.2

WilliamTheIrish
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Well, if we shed some Kansas types in the process, it will be worth it. :D

I agree. Losing any KU folks is a net +.

Reerun_KC
10-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree. Losing any KU folks is a net +.

Feeling is mutual Bill...

WilliamTheIrish
10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
KK is going to fire him for not toting the company motto that Mizzou is crazy for going to the SEC and is going to get crushed.

This is why KK is the best in the biz. He talks and people listen. Just to disagree or speculate. As if the guy would fire Petro for anything said on the air.

Petro quit to take a competing job at the old 980 during PM drive time. Petro lost his ass in the ratings and walked right back in the door to 810.

KK would never fire him.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
This is why KK is the best in the biz. He talks and people listen. Just to disagree or speculate. As if the guy would fire Petro for anything said on the air.

Petro quit to take a competing job at the old 980 during PM drive time. Petro lost his ass in the ratings and walked right back in the door to 810.

KK would never fire him.

I love the annual "BOYCOTT 810" threads on Phogtard.net

beer bacon
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM

1 Florida 105.2
2 LSU 102.2
3 Tennessee 96.6
4 Auburn 90.8
5 Alabama 85.3
6 S. Carolina 78.2
7t Georgia 76.2
7t Kentucky 76.2
9 Arkansas 71.8
X Missouri 53.1
10 Vanderbilt 45.7
11 Ole Miss 43.9
12 Miss. State 36.2

Our revenues will go up in the SEC, and that money is going right back into athletics.

As for Petro, he is just getting started on the transition. 810 AM wants to stay relevant.

WilliamTheIrish
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Feeling is mutual Bill...

ROYrunn, just sit quietly in the corner while folks with a proper handle on the situation discuss the issues.

If anybody wants a special ed version of the events I'm sure we can have frazod slap you upside the hockey helmet.

WilliamTheIrish
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I love the annual "BOYCOTT 810" threads on Phogtard.net

Yea, the resident tards are wary of bringing that over here. You know they want to though.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Yea, the resident tards are wary of bringing that over here. You know they want to though.

Tigerboard has been nothing but a KK fest for days...

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Tigerboard has been nothing but a KK fest for days...

I can't handle the format of that board. Too lazy to look to see if it could be changed. It's total eye-rape.

Crush
10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I can't handle the format of that board. Too lazy to look to see if it could be changed. It's total eye-rape.

It has not changed. Worst format for a message board ever.

duncan_idaho
10-05-2011, 10:16 AM

1 Florida 105.2
2 LSU 102.2
3 Tennessee 96.6
4 Auburn 90.8
5 Alabama 85.3
6 S. Carolina 78.2
7t Georgia 76.2
7t Kentucky 76.2
9 Arkansas 71.8
X Missouri 53.1
10 Vanderbilt 45.7
11 Ole Miss 43.9
12 Miss. State 36.2

My main concerns have been: 1) Continuing to recruit the Texas pipeline; 2) Will Missouri spend what is required to compete in SEC sports

Both have been blunted recently. Despite the noise coming from KC-area sports folks, reports from closer to the situation - coaches and recruits from Texas - say that the SEC would not hurt Missouri's recruiting there (mostly due to the pipelines Pinkel has built).

And from what I've heard, the spending will increase. Part of that is due to travel (A little bit more distance on average will increase a lot of costs). A big part of that is the windfall expected from SEC membership (especially if the the SEC network happens for Tier 3 rights). And another part of it is commitment from boosters.

Based on current feelings, I'd expect the booster base to expand, everyone to donate more, etc. Part of that will be to keep tickets/parking spots.

And I expect the big donors to be polarized. I have heard that the some of the big Columbia donors relish the idea of beating the crap out of Mike Anderson (and perhaps the "kin" that drives Arkie hoops) and are willing to pony up big bucks to help with that...

Discuss Thrower
10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
It has not changed. Worst format for a message board ever.

Do they realize 2000 has come and gone? Or that we've progressed beyond 33k modems?

Pants
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Why didn't MU want to sign their T1/T2 rights away to the Conference with equal sharing between all schools? That would have made the conference 100% stable for 6 to 13 years. Was this all about MU fans' egoes after the Big10 fiasco? I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

beer bacon
10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Why didn't MU want to sign their T1/T2 rights away to the Conference with equal sharing between all schools? That would have made the conference 100% stable for 6 to 13 years. Was this all about MU fans' egoes after the Big10 fiasco? I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

MU wanted longer than six years, but Texas balked. They didn't feel like six years would hold Texas or OU back if they wanted to leave. If Texas wanted to leave to three or four years, they could swallow some losses. This is especially true since they could try to move programming to the LHN for a few years.

A rolling six year commitment would have made more sense. If you leave, the conference owns your 1st and 2nd tier media rights for six years from the time you leave the conference.

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM

1 Florida 105.2
2 LSU 102.2
3 Tennessee 96.6
4 Auburn 90.8
5 Alabama 85.3
6 S. Carolina 78.2
7t Georgia 76.2
7t Kentucky 76.2
9 Arkansas 71.8
X Missouri 53.1
10 Vanderbilt 45.7
11 Ole Miss 43.9
12 Miss. State 36.2
That is a large disparity, unless they are happy with being an Ole Miss.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
MU wanted longer than six years, but Texas balked. They didn't feel like six years would hold Texas or OU back if they wanted to leave. If Texas wanted to leave to three or four years, they could swallow some losses. This is especially true since they could try to move programming to the LHN for a few years.

A rolling six year commitment would have made more sense. If you leave, the conference owns your 1st and 2nd tier media rights for six years from the time you leave the conference.

Ultimately, I believe that will happen soon. 12-13 years, and Mizzou will stay.

mnchiefsguy
10-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I hope you are wrong. I think Mizzou has started setting the bridge on fire.

As to KC, this is where KU, KSU, and ISU need to flex what little muscle they have. Texas and OU don't really care about BBall, so conceding the BIG XII tourney to KC is an easy bone to throw to those three schools to keep them quiet and in their corner.

I would not be too terribly surprised if an SEC Tournament winds up in Missouri at some point. It would be a great opportunity for SEC hoops to be on display close to B1G country. St. Louis would probably be the pick, but a totally cool scenario would be the Big 12 being in a KC every other year, and in some of the years that the BIG XII is in Dallas or OKC, have the SEC tournament here in KC. Hopefully the city leaders are smart enough to make a pitch and at least try, even though it would be a long shot.

mnchiefsguy
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh, and Bill Self can kiss my ass. Despite the prestige of KU in recruiting, if he does not play Mizzou he will hurt his chances of recruiting in KC, especially if Mizzou winds up in the SEC West, which is pretty weak in BBall, and has some success. Might not see it a first, but a successful Mizzou bball program in the SEC would hurt KU recruiting in this area, given that recruits want TV time and national exposure, which the SEC will provide in spades.

HemiEd
10-05-2011, 10:50 AM
SEC tournament in KC?:spock:

epitome1170
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
SEC tournament in KC?:spock:

Yeah I can't see that... I could see it in St. Louis.

Saul Good
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Wrong and wrong.

Pants
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Wrong and wrong.

So conference stability was not the issue? Or are you saying that UT/OU would never sign their rights away for 12 years?

the Talking Can
10-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, and Bill Self can kiss my ass. Despite the prestige of KU in recruiting, if he does not play Mizzou he will hurt his chances of recruiting in KC, especially if Mizzou winds up in the SEC West, which is pretty weak in BBall, and has some success. Might not see it a first, but a successful Mizzou bball program in the SEC would hurt KU recruiting in this area, given that recruits want TV time and national exposure, which the SEC will provide in spades.

yeah, It's keeping Bill up at night...worrying about getting out recruited by Missouri....

I heard he's already looking for a job in a better conference...

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
So conference stability was not the issue? Or are you saying that UT/OU would never sign their rights away for 12 years?

He's just making a guess. Sort of like what i'm doing. No one really knows what the hell is going on at this point.

Lex Luthor
10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, right. Bill Self won't be able to recruit in KC. :rolleyes:

Spoken like a true MU fan and KU hater.

vailpass
10-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Guys on the radio this morning said Mizzou had "held a meeting to decide if they wanted to hold a meeting to explore whether they want to consider leaving B12".
Can anyone translate for me?

Mr. Plow
10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Guys on the radio this morning said Mizzou had "held a meeting to decide if they wanted to hold a meeting to explore whether they want to consider leaving B12".
Can anyone translate for me?

They are currently in a meeting to discuss holding that meeting to translate the meaning of the original meeting.

Pants
10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
He's just making a guess. Sort of like what i'm doing. No one really knows what the hell is going on at this point.

Well yeah. I'm just trying to see why all these MU fans want to leave so bad? Is it because of instability? Or is it just so they can say "Haha, see ya fags" like billay?

Pitt Gorilla
10-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, right. Bill Self won't be able to recruit in KC. :rolleyes:

Spoken like a true MU fan and KU hater.I agree, and it wouldn't hurt KU in recruiting. Of course, it wasn't difficult to see the butthurt in Self's quote either.

HolyHandgernade
I hope you are wrong. I think Mizzou has started setting the bridge on fire.

As to KC, this is where KU, KSU, and ISU need to flex what little muscle they have. Texas and OU don't really care about BBall, so conceding the BIG XII tourney to KC is an easy bone to throw to those three schools to keep them quiet and in their corner.

I would not be too terribly surprised if an SEC Tournament winds up in Missouri at some point. It would be a great opportunity for SEC hoops to be on display close to B1G country. St. Louis would probably be the pick, but a totally cool scenario would be the Big 12 being in a KC every other year, and in some of the years that the BIG XII is in Dallas or OKC, have the SEC tournament here in KC. Hopefully the city leaders are smart enough to make a pitch and at least try, even though it would be a long shot.

I don't think you really get the whole "Sprint Center would no longer be in Big XII Territory" thing if MU leaves. KU, KSU and ISU are not going to fight to keep the secondary tournament revenues in SEC country. It'll move to OKC and you won't hear a voice of dissent from within the Big XII.

You'll be lucky if the SEC holds anything on the fringe of their territory. Perhaps once every four years St. Louis might get the BB Tournament. Why make a bunch of schools who work on eastern time go to a state in the central time zone?

Saulbadguy
Well yeah. I'm just trying to see why all these MU fans want to leave so bad? Is it because of instability? Or is it just so they can say "Haha, see ya pillowbiters" like billay?

Grass is greener.

vailpass
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
They are currently in a meeting to discuss holding that meeting to translate the meaning of the original meeting.

:D Thanks Plow, now I see.

Mr. Plow
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
:D Thanks Plow, now I see.

Clear as day, isn't it? :)